Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 27 posts ]

PyWright IDE: PyWright case development tool (v1.0.1)Topic%20Title

are u batterys

Hello Court-Records!

This is PyWright IDE, a little program built for making PyWright cases easier! After around two years of on/off development, I consider it to be in a stable and feature-complete (for a 1.0 release) state!

Features include:

- A tabbed text editor, that can colorize PyWright scripts
- Dialogs to make case/game creation as user friendly as possible
- Ability to run PyWright from the selected folder
- Browsing the available textures/music/SFX and the ability to play the latter two within the IDE

(Last updated: 24/03/2024 - Version 1.0.1)

Release Page: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... tag/v1.0.1
Direct download link for Windows version: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... 4.03.24.7z

Source code is available on GitHub, it is written in Python 3 using the PyQt5, QScintilla and pygame libraries: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrightide

Changelog for the latest release: Version 1.0.1 (24.03.24):
    * Fix the crash happening when one right clicks on Directory View and chooses the "Add Case" option

Known bugs:
- When you run the IDE in certain ways (like from Windows Search), none of the icons will show up at all. The program will be functional otherwise.
- The text editing component has glitchy text rendering on Linux, for some reason. This makes the program unusable on there. Apparently it is fixed now? Your mileage might still vary though, but keep everything Qt related up-to-date and you should be fine

Other things of interest:
- I've been made aware that Norton Antivirus thinks that the app is doing suspicious activities. My guess is on this being due to the ide being able to run PyWright within itself, but rest assured, it is a false positive. Feel free to check the source code out (and optionally generate a Windows executable from it by yourself) if you're still having any doubts!

Some screenshots:

Special thanks go to BirbIsTheWord for his extensive testing and support. Without his help, this program wouldn't be as usable as it is right now. :)

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Last edited by LupertEverett on Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:09 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Re: PyWright IDE: PyWright case development tool (WIP)Topic%20Title

the last romantic alive

That is actually a really cool idea, since PyWright is a little complicated and outdated, so making it more advanced and user-friendly is cool as hrck. I am excited to see this in a more complete state(and with a tutorial too, if you can)

are u batterys

AshuraMage wrote:
That is actually a really cool idea, since PyWright is a little complicated and outdated, so making it more advanced and user-friendly is cool as hrck. I am excited to see this in a more complete state(and with a tutorial too, if you can)

Thank you! Glad you liked it!

Tbh never considered a tutorial myself, but having one once things get more complete is a pretty good idea! Probably something to do when I can get some free time, alongside actually working on the program itself... :V

are u batterys

Updated the first post with some screenshots (finally :V) and an updated version of the program (the download link is still the same though)

There's been significant development with PWlib as well recently. i believe they've started to create more of a GUI.

are u batterys

Honey Pie wrote:
There's been significant development with PWlib as well recently. i believe they've started to create more of a GUI.

Never heard of that one, so I cannot say much. However, I do this project mainly to help my friend BirbIsTheWord, and as a curiosity/for the fun of it, and if it gets traction and/or people provide some help to improve it/make it work for other case making engines, that's cool! Other way around? Still cool!

That being said, I finally worked on it a bit more! Now one can browse and add sfx using the asset manager! The link in the first post contains the updated version. Enjoy!

There's Always Someone Else

I have just downloaded this after having almost completed an entire case using nothing but text files and I must say that this program is a lifesaver. No more will I have to constantly go through folders to find the exact scenes I'm looking for and then switch between a dozen notepad files! Thank you so much for making this! I cannot begin to express how much I appreciate it.

The only things I'd add are the ability to play sound effects, because I frequently get those mixed up (though I imagine an audio player might be tricky to implement) and the ability to find/replace certain words. Still, it's fantastic as is and I'm so glad to have it.

are u batterys

LilyGrace wrote:
I have just downloaded this after having almost completed an entire case using nothing but text files and I must say that this program is a lifesaver. No more will I have to constantly go through folders to find the exact scenes I'm looking for and then switch between a dozen notepad files! Thank you so much for making this! I cannot begin to express how much I appreciate it.

The only things I'd add are the ability to play sound effects, because I frequently get those mixed up (though I imagine an audio player might be tricky to implement) and the ability to find/replace certain words. Still, it's fantastic as is and I'm so glad to have it.

I am so glad to hear that haha! Happy that the IDE is useful for ya! :will:

As for your suggestion, I just put a new version of the IDE on Github that implements the functionality you asked for! It is a bit buggy when the sound you're trying to play is extremely short, you just have to "play" such sounds twice.

https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrightide/releases/download/prerelease/PyWrightIDE-Windows-23.03.06.7z

EDIT: If you don't hear any sounds playing (and you're using Windows), you might also need to install the DirectShow filters for Ogg Vorbis for the sound playing feature: https://www.xiph.org/dshow/ (Click the link that's next to "Windows 32/64-bit Installer:")

I've just downloaded the new version, but I can't figure out how to do the find/replace thing. The sound system is great though!

are u batterys

LilyGrace wrote:
I've just downloaded the new version, but I can't figure out how to do the find/replace thing. The sound system is great though!

I haven't implemented a find/replace dialog yet haha. :payne: It is planned though! (Might take a while)

Also glad to hear you like the sound system!

LupertEverett wrote:
LilyGrace wrote:

I haven't implemented a find/replace dialog yet haha. :payne: It is planned though! (Might take a while)

Oh okay, no problem. Yeah that'd be super useful, as I will sometimes rename something and then have to manually go through and replace all the instances with something else. The sound system doesn't work at all for me for some reason. Ah well.

are u batterys

LilyGrace wrote:
LupertEverett wrote:
LilyGrace wrote:

Oh okay, no problem. Yeah that'd be super useful, as I will sometimes rename something and then have to manually go through and replace all the instances with something else. The sound system doesn't work at all for me for some reason. Ah well.

Had updated the sound system to use pygame.mixer instead. Could you try this build out? It also fixed the "having to play short sounds twice" on my end.

https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... 3.03.16.7z

LupertEverett wrote:

Had updated the sound system to use pygame.mixer instead. Could you try this build out? It also fixed the "having to play short sounds twice" on my end.

It works great for me now! Sorry for the delay, I kept forgetting to download it. ADHD brain. This tool has saved me SO much time.

I'm the dev of Truth and Consequences btw (there's a thread on the game here), so you're welcome to see what your work has spawned in about a month when I can finally release the first case!

But yeah, find/replace is literally the only other thing that'd make this perfect, and I can technically do that with the text files. I can't believe I used the text files to make almost an entire case; now I don't use anything other than this!

are u batterys

LilyGrace wrote:
LupertEverett wrote:

It works great for me now! Sorry for the delay, I kept forgetting to download it. ADHD brain. This tool has saved me SO much time.

I'm the dev of Truth and Consequences btw (there's a thread on the game here), so you're welcome to see what your work has spawned in about a month when I can finally release the first case!

But yeah, find/replace is literally the only other thing that'd make this perfect, and I can technically do that with the text files. I can't believe I used the text files to make almost an entire case; now I don't use anything other than this!

Its alright lol! Glad to hear it is working now!

And I would like to check it out! I hope work doesn't prevent me from doing so :V

For the Find/Replace dialog, I have done some initial work for it, so far it can find the next and previous occurrences of the word you're searching, on the current tab you have open.

(Interface and features are subject to change, also took the screenshot on Linux cuz why not :V)

LupertEverett wrote:
LilyGrace wrote:
LupertEverett wrote:

Its alright lol! Glad to hear it is working now!

And I would like to check it out! I hope work doesn't prevent me from doing so :V

For the Find/Replace dialog, I have done some initial work for it, so far it can find the next and previous occurrences of the word you're searching, on the current tab you have open.

(Interface and features are subject to change, also took the screenshot on Linux cuz why not :V)

I just released what I was working on today, it's right here in the forums. It's not brilliant or anything, but I think it came out pretty well for a first case.

That looks great too! It helps a lot; I actually have had to go back to text files for it a few times. Mostly because copy/pasting what I had before meant needing to change it to fit the current scene.

are u batterys

LilyGrace wrote:
I just released what I was working on today, it's right here in the forums. It's not brilliant or anything, but I think it came out pretty well for a first case.

That looks great too! It helps a lot; I actually have had to go back to text files for it a few times. Mostly because copy/pasting what I had before meant needing to change it to fit the current scene.

Congrats on that, glad to hear that it was useful to you! And I'll check it out soon, hopefully!

A quick status update on things: The work has gotten extremely busy for the last several weeks, to the point of spending most of my time at home resting once I return from work, so I couldn't make any progress on the IDE at all :(

On the functionality of the Find/Replace dialog so far:
- Finding works on a single tab
- Finding works on the open set of tabs, though I don't like its behavior atm, gonna rethink that one
- The rest hasn't been implemented yet

Rest assured though: the IDE is not dead!

Edit: Suddenly got inspired to actually finish the dialog and update the IDE!
Download it directly here: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... 3.04.21.7z

Hope you enjoy! :phoenix:

are u batterys

Got another update! This one's mainly cosmetic/minor fixes though:

-Main Window code cleanup (shouldn't affect behavior): moved certain functionality to places where they make more sense
    -"art", "music" and "sfx" subfolders will also be created after creating a new game: not only this avoids a crash, but it is also more convenient
    -Fixed garbage values appearing in the file name section when Open File dialog is opened (doesn't affect its usability but still)
    -Directory view no longer shows the root folder (or This PC in Windows) when you change to another PyWright installation (same as above)

Get it here: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... 3.04.22.7z

LupertEverett wrote:
Got another update! This one's mainly cosmetic/minor fixes though:

-Main Window code cleanup (shouldn't affect behavior): moved certain functionality to places where they make more sense
    -"art", "music" and "sfx" subfolders will also be created after creating a new game: not only this avoids a crash, but it is also more convenient
    -Fixed garbage values appearing in the file name section when Open File dialog is opened (doesn't affect its usability but still)
    -Directory view no longer shows the root folder (or This PC in Windows) when you change to another PyWright installation (same as above)

Get it here: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... 3.04.22.7z

Ooh perfect, thanks a lot! I love the open tabs feature too; that actually helps a ton because then I can just open all the scenes. I swear my next case only came about this fast because of this program though, having to have 20 notepad files open at once would have driven me nuts. Plus everything being a different color makes it much easier to find mistakes. I really appreciate this! Hope you like my game, if you get around to it. :)

are u batterys

LilyGrace wrote:
Ooh perfect, thanks a lot! I love the open tabs feature too; that actually helps a ton because then I can just open all the scenes. I swear my next case only came about this fast because of this program though, having to have 20 notepad files open at once would have driven me nuts. Plus everything being a different color makes it much easier to find mistakes. I really appreciate this! Hope you like my game, if you get around to it. :)

Glad to hear it! Hope the Find/Replace dialog is useful for you also!

Also I'm not dead, just had a pretty intense and busy several weeks (+ weekends). This means that I haven't worked on the IDE at all, sadly; couldn't give your game a try either.

Once things calm down a bit more, I certainly will! IDE-wise, no clue on what else I could add tbh, apart from implementing some currently not-working buttons that is...

are u batterys

Version 23.06.01 is now up!

Get it from here: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... e-23.06.01
Direct link to Windows version: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... 3.06.01.7z

Changelog:

Icon themes support, as well as a "default" icon theme. To make new icon themes, simply clone the "default" icon theme's folder and change the icons!
    Directory View and Asset Browser sidebars and the Logger view are now toggleable from the top toolbar.
    Ability to remove a case from Game Properties. (as well as the case's folder - TREAD CAREFULLY)
    Credited pygame in the About dialog (forgot to do so before, oops)
    Version number is now displayed in the About dialog (e.g. 23.06.01)
    (Under-the-hood change) Moved settings related functions to IDESettings.

This version got updated with the following change:
    (Hotfix) Fixed Logger View "Hide" icon not loading.

Hope you folks enjoy!

are u batterys

Version 23.08.10 is now up!

Get it from here: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... e-23.08.10
Direct link to Windows version: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... 3.08.10.7z

Changelog:
    Fix the Widget Toggle buttons on the top toolbar toggling themselves unexpectedly when the user makes a docked widget floating
    Directory View Widget is now movable, but NOT floatable
    IDE now remembers the position and state of all toolbars/widgets
    Working Case Properties button in Game Properties tab, with "non-destructive" editing of case-specific intro.txt
    Somewhat working Add Existing Case dialog (Note that this and the case removal feature is probably flaky, I plan to iron out the kinks in the next updates)

Hope you folks enjoy!

are u batterys

Heeeeyyyy! Been a while, isn't it? Once again, real life got a hold on me, so I couldn't prepare this update until very recently. Without further ado...

Version 23.12.17 is now up!

Get it from here: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... e-23.12.17
Direct link to Windows version: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... 3.12.17.7z

Changelog:
    Force UTF-8 encoding on the text editor component. (Fixes i.e. German text appearing weird, thanks BirbIsTheWord for the bug report!)
    Some appearance changes.
    Introduce a theming system, and two themes: "Colorful Light" and "Dark Mode". (Note that text editor component is NOT themeable yet)
    Add Move Case Up/Down buttons to Game Properties tab. The movement operations will be applied IMMEDIATELY.
    Add Existing Case dialog is now fully working.
    Make Add/Remove/Move Case operations non-destructive (as in it will only update the relevant sections in the game's intro.txt, instead of erasing everything altogether).

Hope you folks enjoy!

are u batterys

Version 23.12.29 is now up! This is a pretty small bugfix release

Get it from here: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... e-23.12.29
Direct link to Windows version: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... 3.12.29.7z

Changelog:
    Fix the default icon set not being recognized in Linux, causing crashes when closing the settings dialog (due to case sensitivity with file names)
    Fallback to ANSI if UTF-8 decoding fails while reading a file. (The IDE will still SAVE the files in UTF-8 encoding)

Hope you folks enjoy! (And I won't forget to update the first post this time :V)
PyWright IDE: PyWright case development tool (1.0 is OUT!)Topic%20Title

are u batterys

Version 1.0 (24.03.17) of PyWright IDE is now OUT!

After around two years of on/off development, it is in a mature and feature complete state, and can be used for PyWright case development! (Still, always backup your files!)

Note that this release bumps the minimum Python version to 3.10 (should be able to be installed on Windows 10 and later without any issues, the compiled version is already bundled with Python 3.12; and any modern Linux distro should've packaged it by now)

Get it from here: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... s/tag/v1.0
Direct link to Windows version: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... 4.03.17.7z

Changelog:

* Introduce text editor component theming, and add a "dark mode" editor theme
    * Find/Replace button is now disabled when there are no PyWright installations selected
    * Various cleanups and moving code around
Re: PyWright IDE: PyWright case development tool (1.0 is OUTTopic%20Title

*wonk*

I've not posted in here in forever, but I wanted to thank you for this. Nice to have a tool to more easily edit games made in this engine. Cheers.

also gehehe joer
yes
Re: PyWright IDE: PyWright case development tool (1.0 is OUTTopic%20Title

are u batterys

Tilemahosbra wrote:
I've not posted in here in forever, but I wanted to thank you for this. Nice to have a tool to more easily edit games made in this engine. Cheers.

also gehehe joer

Thanks so much! Glad to hear that you like it, honestly made my day haha!

Also based Roxy pfp :D
PyWright IDE: PyWright case development tool (v1.0.1)Topic%20Title

are u batterys

Version 1.0.1 (24.03.24) of PyWright IDE is now out! This one is about fixing a minor but so obvious it is surprising how has anyone not notice it all this time bug :V

Get it from here: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... tag/v1.0.1
Direct link for the Windows version: https://github.com/LupertEverett/pywrig ... 4.03.24.7z

Changelog:
* Fix the crash happening when one right clicks on Directory View and chooses the "Add Case" option

Hope you folks enjoy!
Page 1 of 1 [ 27 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games