Court Records
https://forums.court-records.net/

Fangame Development Tutorials
https://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17839
Page 2 of 2

Author:  henke37 [ Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

That depends on what you mean by game and game maker. Some game makers are more like complete engines that are designed for a certain kind of game. It would be a major waste of time to make your own engine if you want to do an ace attorney case. But at the same time, the engine you use brings it's own limitations. Either make your own engine or chose carefully.

Author:  Arkillian [ Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

I mean like... if you wanted to create all new sprites with different animations

Author:  nudalman [ Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

With most casemakers, you can change the resource library, to allow custom sprites.

For example, with PyWright, all you would have to do is create a folder with all of your character animations right there. Then, in your coding, just tell the engine to load those files :)

Author:  Arkillian [ Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

Ah- cool :) Thank you for telling me ^^

Author:  Bad Player [ Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

Can't you do that with all the case-makers out there? :yuusaku: (All you have to do is get the files you want, and then tell it "load that sprite/background/GUI/foreground/evidence/whatever" and it should do it.)

Author:  Arkillian [ Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

Bad player- we all give advice on what we are familiar with. Telling me that pywright will do what I need it to is actually a VERY helpful thing. If you don't know if another does it, then it's best not to mention them. Guessing will just lead people down a bad road.

Author:  nudalman [ Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

Bad Player wrote:
Can't you do that with all the case-makers out there? :yuusaku: (All you have to do is get the files you want, and then tell it "load that sprite/background/GUI/foreground/evidence/whatever" and it should do it.)


You can. I was just giving an example 'cause I'm more familiar with it.

Author:  SevenCarrots [ Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

I got some advice which I think is good and helps:
If you got a team together, divide up the priorities/jobs depending on who's good with what, and then check on each other's progress, and if someone is lagging behind, you can simply drop what you're doing, help them get back to speed, and continue on the process, keeping a smooth rate of progression. There's more varied ways to do teamwork, but this is the gist of it.

Author:  Arkillian [ Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

Yeah- it sounds like a plan, but I guess now that I know I can do it, I need to sit down and nut out the plot. I've been reading through this thread and other pointers people have given (the sprites thing wasn't something anyone specifically spelt out), and I think I have a general gist of what to do. I've poked pywright a few times but it's pretty scary. Part of me wants to make a movie out of flash rather than a game, but I think interaction is far more fun than watching endless movies of things. I was thinking of doing a game with my OC Zeth in it :) Maybe turn Turnabout Attorney into an actual game. I should probably start smaller and just make something with the current sprites and see what happens >.>

Author:  Katharos [ Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

I have some doubts regarding fanmade cases in general:
Is it wrong/ frowned upon to use BGM from anime/visual novel OSTs? Even if they're credited?
Would cursing and crimes regarding sexual offenses be considered too tasteless? I'm not planning on doing a case based on a rape, but could the topic be brought up?
I know it's a fangame, but I don't know much about them and I want a honest opinion from more experienced people.

Author:  SilentBobX [ Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

Katharos wrote:
I have some doubts regarding fanmade cases in general:
Is it wrong/ frowned upon to use BGM from anime/visual novel OSTs? Even if they're credited?
Would cursing and crimes regarding sexual offenses be considered too tasteless? I'm not planning on doing a case based on a rape, but could the topic be brought up?
I know it's a fangame, but I don't know much about them and I want a honest opinion from more experienced people.

1. I always consider it a no-no to use BGM from other media. That's why I stick with the games music. I even stay away from soundtrack music (Orchestra, Remix's ect.) based on the Ace Attorney series. Even those songs don't seem like they belong when used in fan-games. There's just something very off about it. Of course, some people want they're games to be as different as possible, so using songs from others games and anime is a sorta good idea, provided it fits with what you're using it as. :grey:
2. Yes it would be. The Ace Attorney series has gone by without using alot of curse words. Yeah, Lang did call the real murderer in Investigations a Bastard, but he wasn't a drunken sailor throughout the game. So there was no need for him to curse all the time. Cursing should be resereved for certain situations. Rape is a subject I would NEVER touch. You'd lose all the humor that goes into the story of the game. And Ace Attorney has ALOT of humor. I mean, try imagining Mike Meekins arresting a rape suspect and acting the way he does around the situation. Not cool... Also, young kids might play these games as well. They can wrap their heads around a murder case, but I think Rape will make their tiny little minds explode! :jake:

Author:  Katharos [ Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

SilentBobX wrote:
Katharos wrote:
I have some doubts regarding fanmade cases in general:
Is it wrong/ frowned upon to use BGM from anime/visual novel OSTs? Even if they're credited?
Would cursing and crimes regarding sexual offenses be considered too tasteless? I'm not planning on doing a case based on a rape, but could the topic be brought up?
I know it's a fangame, but I don't know much about them and I want a honest opinion from more experienced people.

1. I always consider it a no-no to use BGM from other media. That's why I stick with the games music. I even stay away from soundtrack music (Orchestra, Remix's ect.) based on the Ace Attorney series. Even those songs don't seem like they belong when used in fan-games. There's just something very off about it. Of course, some people want they're games to be as different as possible, so using songs from others games and anime is a sorta good idea, provided it fits with what you're using it as. :grey:
2. Yes it would be. The Ace Attorney series has gone by without using alot of curse words. Yeah, Lang did call the real murderer in Investigations a Bastard, but he wasn't a drunken sailor throughout the game. So there was no need for him to curse all the time. Cursing should be resereved for certain situations. Rape is a subject I would NEVER touch. You'd lose all the humor that goes into the story of the game. And Ace Attorney has ALOT of humor. I mean, try imagining Mike Meekins arresting a rape suspect and acting the way he does around the situation. Not cool... Also, young kids might play these games as well. They can wrap their heads around a murder case, but I think Rape will make their tiny little minds explode! :jake:


I was hoping to do a darker type of case, but I guess my sense of humor is kinda wicked :payne: Anyways, it's not like I was going to put Jean Armstrong as a suspect for rape, that would be too much crack for a fangame (but a goldmine for a Phoenix Wrong!! :karma: )
I'll try to adapt the plot and the character's personalities to the standard AA settings. I'm sure I can make a character bitter and rude without using curse words.

The main thing that worries me is the music... It's complicated to come up with a creative melody that fits the situation. Any recommendations on this?

Author:  Ropfa [ Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

I'd say for music, just use your own judgement. Different people are going to find different pieces acceptable. For example, I know people who loved the classical stuff in Turnabout Substitution and people who hated it.
As Silentbob has said, he prefers to use only real AA music. However, there are others who like to make entirely new soundtracks and not use any pieces from the canon games. I'd say to just do what fits for your own game. Maybe get some feedback from your beta-testers on what fits and what doesn't.

As for the whole rape thing... Yeah, don't do that.

Author:  Katharos [ Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

I got the point: no sexual assaults of any kind.
I wonder how am I supposed to explain the pregnancy of a 15 year old girl that deceived a man so he thought she was 20... That's statutory rape, right? :yogi: Ok, I'll tweak the story a little more. It's not like that part is necessary.
I just thought of the story ad the characters before I have played the AA games, so I have to make it fit in the game standards :meekins:

Author:  SevenCarrots [ Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

If it's going to be a really dark case, then it's best you use custom music.

As to what custom music would fit...well there's a whole criteria you could work with.

Just note that simply picking a song that you like/that others will like won't fit the scene/atmosphere for a case, it takes careful consideration and time to pick the right tracks.

Author:  Smithee [ Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

Question: Are you expected to pay anyone who collaborates with you, or is it all just for "teh lulz" on behalf of all involved?

Author:  Ropfa [ Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

That would depend on the situation. In most cases, I would assume that the other people are helping for free. However, it's often nice to offer some kind of compensation, maybe helping out with their own fancase or promising them a beta-testing position. And occasionally people (like SilentBob, for instance) will hire actual artists to do stuff, in which case, yes, money would be involved.

Author:  Smithee [ Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Making a Fan Game (This is a Guide)

By the way, let it be known that it sucks so hard that my computer is in an infinite boot screen loop, forcing me to use my iPod Touch to get on here, meaning I currently have no way to begin working on Turnabout Dumas.

Author:  Tap [ Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Fangame Development Tutorials

This thread has been overhauled, with a series of tutorial links posted in the first post. These tutorial links are all from Ace Attorney Online, but they do not require your fangame to be developed with the AAO case engine. The tutorials discuss a range of subjects, from making challenging contradictions to the structure of a courtroom trial and investigation. :)

Author:  Ropfa [ Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Fangame Development Tutorials

I just saw Darth Wiader post something in another thread and I think it warrants recognition in here. Wise words for prospective fancase writers.

Darth Wiader wrote:
If you want to make a good case, take as long as you need to take to get it right. There is no schedule and you are not in a race. Take the time to design your game, hit it over the head with countless play testing sessions, and keep working on it until you are convinced that you can’t do anything more to it.


Rushing a case will, more often than not, result in a bad case. As a case writer, I can understand the urge to get your work out the door as quickly as possible, but if you do that, you can be sure that you'll overlook several errors (I say this from experience). My cases have gone through several drafts before their release.

-A rough draft written in Microsoft Word
-A proofread second draft (get a friend to check it for you, just make sure they're not going to say whatever you want to hear and will give an honest opinion)
-Put the game into whatever casemaker you're using and beta-test it several times yourself.
-Have other people beta-test it to get feedback from them, edit the game and story as needed (I usually like to have 3-4 people testing, to get a wide range of responses and opinions)
-If you're still not confident about some parts, have people test it a second time and edit again as needed
-Run through the whole thing by yourself once or twice more to make sure you didn't miss anything
-Only release the case when you're confident in your work
-Your players will inevitably find mistakes that you STILL managed to overlook. It's perfectly okay to release a second or third version of the case. However, don't fall back on "Oh, I'll just fix it later" as an excuse to be lazy while making it the first time.

This process obviously takes longer but you'll find it leads to a much more solid case that both you and your players will enjoy more.

Author:  Psykofreac [ Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Fangame Development Tutorials

Neat set of guides. I'm particularly interested in the making challenging contradictions discussion and would like to throw my own two cents in, but can't seem to activate my account there.

Author:  NamelessStranger [ Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Fangame Development Tutorials

These are wonderful tutorials! Thank you for collecting all of them. I'm very new when it comes to fancase writing and I want to make sure that my game is enjoyable. These are helping me in already seeing flaws in my script.

Author:  SenorJustice-dono [ Sun May 12, 2019 12:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Fangame Development Tutorials

Coming back to this in 2019, are the links broken or is that just me? It always gives me a server timeout error or something similar.

Author:  Southern Corn [ Sun May 12, 2019 9:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Fangame Development Tutorials

Yeah, those links use the sparklin url which is now outdated. The site itself has moved to aaonline.fr so I recommend probably altering the urls accordingly.

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/