Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 23 posts ]
 


[PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Image
An Ace Attorney Fangame by SuperAj3


Hi everyone, I'm beginning the very long overdue implementation of my fan game script I wrote back in 2015.
Just making this thread to keep tabs on this project and also share its progress. At this stage it is by no means in a playable state.

At the moment I'm currently making all the sprites, and some music, and hope to get something playable out there for people to test soon.

**Please note, unless explicitly mentioned here or elsewhere, assets shared here aren't for public use.**
Stella's sprite set and the Trilogy textbox update, however, are!

Please see below for a preview of what I have so far:

Case 1: The Superstitious Turnabout
Image

Spoiler: Case 1: The Superstitious Turnabout
Progress report: Day 1 is complete! Working on Day 2
Again, sprites are still being made, so the case is using placeholders until sprite sets are completed.

Synopsis:
A group of uni students attend a meeting at an Occult Club on campus, when the unthinkable strikes. A campus rumour comes to life and claims a victim! ...Or does it?

Preview:
Image Image Image

This case will introduce a variation on the cross examination procedure used in trials:
If the defense calls a witness, the Prosecution will conduct the examination. In this case the "Press" button is replaced with the "Listen" button. Your task is to assist your witness by backing up their testimony.

Cast:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler: Future Cases: TBA
Case 2 will focus on an awards show, with a behind-the-scenes crime sure to confuse and surprise!
Case 3 will centre around a flashback focusing on the main character's sister, Wendy, surrounding a financial fraud case. I want to make a non-murder premise interesting, so I hope this plays out well! (Tentative title: No Money, No Turnabout)

Case 4 will draw plot points recurring across the previous cases into its conclusion. Big twists are planned! I'll share more of this case's premise after Case 3 has released (as it spoils parts of Cases 1-3).

Spoiler: Special thanks
Thanks to BirbIsTheWord, agenderash and spybreak from the Case Makers discord and DarthWiader for helping me with learning PYWright.
Thanks also to Ropfa for your PYWright tutorial!
Thanks to Spoon of Destiny for the cross examination themes!
Thanks to Starora from AAO, and the AAO evidence thread for custom evidence being used in this!
Thanks to SpeckledMoose for SO MUCH MUSIC!!!
Inspired by Paradise Killer's visuals



Last edited by SuperAj3 on Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

You best rethink that evidence, compadre

Gender: Male

Location: Next door to the Kitakis, by the burger shop

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Posts: 11

Oooh awesome, I just beat Case 3 of Trials after Justice and was sad I had nothing else to look forward to. And then this post happens. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on this project, please please be sure to stick to it to the end. I can't live with another unfinished title like the one I just beat :sob:
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Windego wrote:
Oooh awesome, I just beat Case 3 of Trials after Justice and was sad I had nothing else to look forward to. And then this post happens. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on this project, please please be sure to stick to it to the end. I can't live with another unfinished title like the one I just beat :sob:

Aww thanks!
This has been an on and off project for a while, and I'm hoping to actually stick to it this time!
I'll give my next update when investigation Day 1 of the case I'm currently working on is in a playable state (Most likely still using some placeholder sprites and music).
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Quick update to say I've finished Investigation Day 1.
If people would like to test, please let me know and I will share with you.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Simon8950 has tested this and pointed out some things that need fixing. Thank you! I will incorporate them now!
Here's a list of known inconsistencies I just don't know how to code. If someone could assist, that'd be amazing!
Spoiler:
  • How to change the "Court Record" button in version 0.989- FIXED
  • How to change the "Present" button. IDK its code name, but one appears in 0.989 and the GBA one appears in 0.988
  • How to change the colour of the background that generates behind the text of evidence when you select something in the court record. It's just brown, but IDK if I need to code in a colour change or if it's just an image. -FIXED - Thanks Darth!
  • How to show the zoom in and zoom out animations for evidence- FIXED



Last edited by SuperAj3 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Posts: 348

Quote:
Spoiler:
How to change the colour of the background that generates behind the text of evidence when you select something in the court record. It's just brown, but IDK if I need to code in a colour change or if it's just an image.


Spoiler: reply
The image you need to edit for that is "evidence_zoom" in your "general" folder. BTW, you can also change the colour of text for evidence description by modify "set ev_z_text_col" in "court_record_vars". It's also a good idea to save your court_record_vars as macro, otherwhise all changes tend sometimes to swicth back to default settings after loading saves. I could also help you with other problems related to code, if I had a copy of your game (*wink*wink*nudge*nudge* :sal:).


Quote:
Spoiler:
the "Our plan" talk option will play up. Please present the chalice first and then select that talk option.


Spoiler: reply
Setting a right flag may solve this, but I'd have to look into code to confirm it.

Image
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Thanks Darth!
For that second one, I just misspelled a label in one point LOL

Also I'll try out what you suggested!

If you'd like I can PM you the game?
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Posts: 348

Quote:
If you'd like I can PM you the game?


Yes, please, I cannot wait to see it! :pearly:
Image
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Thanks for the feedback of those who tested my trial so far!
I've reworked investigation day 1, and have written a plan for trial day 1.

I'm currently having artists block making all the new sprites I need... So that's gonna slow things down a little. Hopefully that won't last too long.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

I don't know if this is much of an update, but I've not progressed much since last update. I'm currently working on another case with an AAO member for an AAO competition, which has been my focus for the short term.

I've begun working on this again though, and decided, to ease myself back into to making all of this art, I should draw the box art for the characters. Hopefully that will be the next up (and you'll get to see my Prosecutor).
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

You best rethink that evidence, compadre

Gender: Male

Location: Next door to the Kitakis, by the burger shop

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Posts: 11

SuperAj3 wrote:
I don't know if this is much of an update, but I've not progressed much since last update. I'm currently working on another case with an AAO member for an AAO competition, which has been my focus for the short term.

I've begun working on this again though, and decided, to ease myself back into to making all of this art, I should draw the box art for the characters. Hopefully that will be the next up (and you'll get to see my Prosecutor).


Your sprites are really well made so I'm looking forward to seeing more! Let me know if you need someone to test out things when you make the trial portion!
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Windego wrote:
Your sprites are really well made so I'm looking forward to seeing more! Let me know if you need someone to test out things when you make the trial portion!


Thank you! I need time to make even more sprites before I can finish case 2. Once those are made, it should just be a matter of implementing all the text and scenes. Hopefully when my exams are over with I'll get back to this. Once it's done, I'm more than happy to share it with you for playtesting!

At the moment, I still need to make full sets for the defence, prosecution, co-counsel, and some other missing poses, so yeah there are heaps more sprites down the line. Thankfully once the courtroom sprites are made, they can be re-used in all my other cases, so it's necessary prep-work.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Hi everyone, little update on how things are going. I've finished my studies for the year so have time to get back into case-making!

I'll be reworking my progress for case 2 - basically it's too short content wise, and I want to add a little more content to the opening investigation.

I've been actively working on some art assets in the mean time, and have recently shared in my sprite thread a new character appearing in a future case, named Rita Corda (named by risefromtheashes).
ImageImage
I look forward to you meeting her down the line!

I also don't think I've shared this game's main prosecutor, so here's a little information on her:
Image
Her name's Priscilla Cutter (named by SpeckledMoose343) and is a former colleague of Wendy Owen, Colton's sister and mentor. While she might have a cold exterior, Priscilla genuinely cares about her work and has a strong ethical compass. At the moment, she has no gimmick planned yet, but I hope the senior-junior dynamic between her and Colton during the court segments demonstrates just how ruthless she can be when it comes to upholding the law. She's certainly not a pushover.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Just a little dev update to say I've been reworking this game quite a lot visually and story-wise.

I'm hoping to have part 1 of case 2 in a playable state by the end of the year, and will update the OP with new details about how this game is going to work.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Little update! I've almost completed trial day 1 (minus some sprites). Will be sharing for closed beta testing soon!
Some visual changed to the UI have been implemented:
Image Image

I'm now working on the prosecutor's sprite set:
ImageImage

Not going to lie, if people would like to assist with some sprite animations (matching/improving on my quality), please let me know! Would help me push things out faster haha.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Posts: 348

Are you, by chance, going to present us also a whole new Judge? :udgey:
Image
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Darth Wiader wrote:
Are you, by chance, going to present us also a whole new Judge? :udgey:

Atm that's the plan, but the main judge is currently placeholder until I work out a design. It's hard because the judge is a constant amongst all AA games and changing him could indicate the Judge has a specific role in the story.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Minus the blinking and talking frames for some characters (who are just stills atm) Part 1 of case 1 is almost complete! Just got a little more dialogue to write! I'm hoping it open up a more expansive investigation for day 2, as day 1 was a bit linear.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Part 1 of Case 1 is, for the most part, complete! Currently in closed beta testing. I'll share the full case when it's finished.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

I can't use pfp's from URLs ;-;

Gender: Male

Location: el reino del futbol prro :v

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:53 pm

Posts: 30

Seeing that new UI got me way too impressed; really, I was all like "OHHH NEW UI OOOOOOOOOOO-"
Good evening. Nate here.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

Art Person

Gender: Male

Location: Making Sprites

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

Posts: 3154

Nate wrote:
Seeing that new UI got me way too impressed; really, I was all like "OHHH NEW UI OOOOOOOOOOO-"

Thanks! I'm hoping it adds a unique flavour to my fan game. I really want to show how this isn't really set in the canon, but is its own thing following the AA formula.

I'm currently working out some technical issues with day 2 of case 1, but the case itself is progressing! I recently completed animating the sprites for my defense attorney Colton, for the prosecutor, for one of the witnesses and co-counsel sprites for the mentor, which finalises all the sprites for day 1's investigation and trial.
That doesn't mean my work's over. I have some more poses to make for 2 more characters, and then on the sprite front, case 1's assets are all made.

Day 2's overall structure is planned, and it's just a matter now of making all the assets and learning how to code some specific things I've not seen in any previous PYWright case. One of these being 3D evidence. I finally learned how to texture the models but now it's programming the examine regions that I need to decipher XD
Spoiler: large screenshot
Image


In the meantime, I figured I'd share some concept art for the first case's defendant, Axel Steele.
Spoiler: Images galore
Image Image
The original sketch of Axel and first sprite I made of him in 2017. As you can see, I've kept the overall design but modified things a little and I think the newest design fits more into AA.

Image
Despite settling on that 2017 design, I did toy with different ones to see what would work better. One in particular being this hairstyle (original file lost now so have this low-res jpeg).

Image
Axel's "peace" emote initially was fully animated, but I lost the original file because I'm an idiot, and only had this GIF:
it's nice but the wrong size and a little too small to cleanly downscale. If I have the willpower to do so, I'll add it in.

Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

I can't use pfp's from URLs ;-;

Gender: Male

Location: el reino del futbol prro :v

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:53 pm

Posts: 30

SuperAj3 wrote:
Thanks! I'm hoping it adds a unique flavour to my fan game. I really want to show how this isn't really set in the canon, but is its own thing following the AA formula.

I'm currently working out some technical issues with day 2 of case 1, but the case itself is progressing! I recently completed animating the sprites for my defense attorney Colton, for the prosecutor, for one of the witnesses and co-counsel sprites for the mentor, which finalises all the sprites for day 1's investigation and trial.
That doesn't mean my work's over. I have some more poses to make for 2 more characters, and then on the sprite front, case 1's assets are all made.

Day 2's overall structure is planned, and it's just a matter now of making all the assets and learning how to code some specific things I've not seen in any previous PYWright case. One of these being 3D evidence. I finally learned how to texture the models but now it's programming the examine regions that I need to decipher XD
Spoiler: large screenshot
Image


In the meantime, I figured I'd share some concept art for the first case's defendant, Axel Steele.
Spoiler: Images galore
Image Image
The original sketch of Axel and first sprite I made of him in 2017. As you can see, I've kept the overall design but modified things a little and I think the newest design fits more into AA.

Image
Despite settling on that 2017 design, I did toy with different ones to see what would work better. One in particular being this hairstyle (original file lost now so have this low-res jpeg).

Image
Axel's "peace" emote initially was fully animated, but I lost the original file because I'm an idiot, and only had this GIF:
it's nice but the wrong size and a little too small to cleanly downscale. If I have the willpower to do so, I'll add it in.


Niiiice
Good evening. Nate here.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title
User avatar

"Justice!"

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:24 pm

Posts: 41

You've always had that great artstyle and what seems to be a deep lore behind some of your OC's, I'm excited to see you finally working on a fangame, let-alone a single case. Good luck, AJ!
Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO