Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 39 posts ]

Colton Owen: Ace Attorney [PYWright]Topic%20Title

Art Person

*Cancelled until further notice"

Hi everyone, I'm beginning the very long overdue implementation of my fan game script I wrote back in 2015.
Just making this thread to keep tabs on this project and also share its progress. At this stage it is by no means in a playable state.

At the moment I'm currently making all the sprites, and some music, and hope to get something playable out there for people to test soon.

**Please note, unless explicitly mentioned here or elsewhere, assets shared here aren't for public use.**
Stella's sprite set and the Trilogy textbox update, however, are!

**VERSION 0.989 OF PYWRIGHT RECOMMENDED FOR THIS!**
**PLEASE PLAY IN DUAL SCREEN MODE**
You can download this version of PYWright from here: LINK

Please see below for a preview of what I have so far:

Case 1: The Superstitious Turnabout

Spoiler: Case 1: The Superstitious Turnabout
Progress report: Day 1 is complete! Working on Day 2
Again, sprites are still being made, so the case is using placeholders until sprite sets are completed.
Progress:
Plot: 100%
Scripting: 75%
Assets: 95%
ETA: September 2021

Synopsis:
A group of uni students attend a meeting at an Occult Club on campus, when the unthinkable strikes. A campus rumour comes to life and claims a victim! ...Or does it?

This case will introduce a variation on the cross examination procedure used in trials:
If the defense calls a witness, the Prosecution will conduct the examination. In this case the "Press" button is replaced with the "Listen" button. Your task is to assist your witness by backing up their testimony.

This case will also have 3D evidence present.

Case 2 will focus on an awards show, with a behind-the-scenes crime sure to confuse and surprise!

Case 3 will centre around a flashback focusing on the main character's sister, Wendy, surrounding a financial fraud case. I want to make a non-murder premise interesting, so I hope this plays out well! (Tentative title: No Money, No Turnabout)

Case 4 will draw plot points recurring across the previous cases into its conclusion. Big twists are planned! I'll share more of this case's premise after Case 3 has released (as it spoils parts of Cases 1-3).
Spoiler: Special thanks
Thanks to BirbIsTheWord, agenderash and spybreak from the Case Makers discord and DarthWiader for helping me with learning PYWright.
Thanks also to Ropfa for your PYWright tutorial!
Thanks to Spoon of Destiny for the cross examination themes!
Thanks to Starora from AAO, and the AAO evidence thread for custom evidence being used in this!
Thanks to SpeckledMoose for SO MUCH MUSIC!!!
Inspired by Paradise Killer's visuals

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 46 times in total.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title

You best rethink that evidence, compadre

Oooh awesome, I just beat Case 3 of Trials after Justice and was sad I had nothing else to look forward to. And then this post happens. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on this project, please please be sure to stick to it to the end. I can't live with another unfinished title like the one I just beat :sob:

Art Person

Windego wrote:
Oooh awesome, I just beat Case 3 of Trials after Justice and was sad I had nothing else to look forward to. And then this post happens. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on this project, please please be sure to stick to it to the end. I can't live with another unfinished title like the one I just beat :sob:

Aww thanks!
This has been an on and off project for a while, and I'm hoping to actually stick to it this time!
I'll give my next update when investigation Day 1 of the case I'm currently working on is in a playable state (Most likely still using some placeholder sprites and music).

Art Person

Quick update to say I've finished Investigation Day 1.
If people would like to test, please let me know and I will share with you.

Art Person

Simon8950 has tested this and pointed out some things that need fixing. Thank you! I will incorporate them now!
Here's a list of known inconsistencies I just don't know how to code. If someone could assist, that'd be amazing!
Spoiler:
  • How to change the "Court Record" button in version 0.989- FIXED
  • How to change the "Present" button. IDK its code name, but one appears in 0.989 and the GBA one appears in 0.988
  • How to change the colour of the background that generates behind the text of evidence when you select something in the court record. It's just brown, but IDK if I need to code in a colour change or if it's just an image. -FIXED - Thanks Darth!
  • How to show the zoom in and zoom out animations for evidence- FIXED

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote:
Spoiler:
How to change the colour of the background that generates behind the text of evidence when you select something in the court record. It's just brown, but IDK if I need to code in a colour change or if it's just an image.

Spoiler: reply
The image you need to edit for that is "evidence_zoom" in your "general" folder. BTW, you can also change the colour of text for evidence description by modify "set ev_z_text_col" in "court_record_vars". It's also a good idea to save your court_record_vars as macro, otherwhise all changes tend sometimes to swicth back to default settings after loading saves. I could also help you with other problems related to code, if I had a copy of your game (*wink*wink*nudge*nudge* :sal:).

Quote:
Spoiler:
the "Our plan" talk option will play up. Please present the chalice first and then select that talk option.

Spoiler: reply
Setting a right flag may solve this, but I'd have to look into code to confirm it.

Art Person

Thanks Darth!
For that second one, I just misspelled a label in one point LOL

Also I'll try out what you suggested!

If you'd like I can PM you the game?

Quote:
If you'd like I can PM you the game?

Yes, please, I cannot wait to see it! :pearly:

Art Person

Thanks for the feedback of those who tested my trial so far!
I've reworked investigation day 1, and have written a plan for trial day 1.

I'm currently having artists block making all the new sprites I need... So that's gonna slow things down a little. Hopefully that won't last too long.

Art Person

I don't know if this is much of an update, but I've not progressed much since last update. I'm currently working on another case with an AAO member for an AAO competition, which has been my focus for the short term.

I've begun working on this again though, and decided, to ease myself back into to making all of this art, I should draw the box art for the characters. Hopefully that will be the next up (and you'll get to see my Prosecutor).

SuperAj3 wrote:
I don't know if this is much of an update, but I've not progressed much since last update. I'm currently working on another case with an AAO member for an AAO competition, which has been my focus for the short term.

I've begun working on this again though, and decided, to ease myself back into to making all of this art, I should draw the box art for the characters. Hopefully that will be the next up (and you'll get to see my Prosecutor).

Your sprites are really well made so I'm looking forward to seeing more! Let me know if you need someone to test out things when you make the trial portion!

Art Person

Windego wrote:
Your sprites are really well made so I'm looking forward to seeing more! Let me know if you need someone to test out things when you make the trial portion!

Thank you! I need time to make even more sprites before I can finish case 2. Once those are made, it should just be a matter of implementing all the text and scenes. Hopefully when my exams are over with I'll get back to this. Once it's done, I'm more than happy to share it with you for playtesting!

At the moment, I still need to make full sets for the defence, prosecution, co-counsel, and some other missing poses, so yeah there are heaps more sprites down the line. Thankfully once the courtroom sprites are made, they can be re-used in all my other cases, so it's necessary prep-work.

Art Person

Hi everyone, little update on how things are going. I've finished my studies for the year so have time to get back into case-making!

I'll be reworking my progress for case 2 - basically it's too short content wise, and I want to add a little more content to the opening investigation.

I've been actively working on some art assets in the mean time, and have recently shared in my sprite thread a new character appearing in a future case, named Rita Corda (named by risefromtheashes).
ImageImage
I look forward to you meeting her down the line!

I also don't think I've shared this game's main prosecutor, so here's a little information on her:
Her name's Priscilla Cutter (named by SpeckledMoose343) and is a former colleague of Wendy Owen, Colton's sister and mentor. While she might have a cold exterior, Priscilla genuinely cares about her work and has a strong ethical compass. At the moment, she has no gimmick planned yet, but I hope the senior-junior dynamic between her and Colton during the court segments demonstrates just how ruthless she can be when it comes to upholding the law. She's certainly not a pushover.

Art Person

Just a little dev update to say I've been reworking this game quite a lot visually and story-wise.

I'm hoping to have part 1 of case 2 in a playable state by the end of the year, and will update the OP with new details about how this game is going to work.

Art Person

Little update! I've almost completed trial day 1 (minus some sprites). Will be sharing for closed beta testing soon!
Some visual changed to the UI have been implemented:
Image Image

I'm now working on the prosecutor's sprite set:
ImageImage

Not going to lie, if people would like to assist with some sprite animations (matching/improving on my quality), please let me know! Would help me push things out faster haha.

Are you, by chance, going to present us also a whole new Judge? :udgey:

Art Person

Darth Wiader wrote:
Are you, by chance, going to present us also a whole new Judge? :udgey:

Atm that's the plan, but the main judge is currently placeholder until I work out a design. It's hard because the judge is a constant amongst all AA games and changing him could indicate the Judge has a specific role in the story.

Art Person

Minus the blinking and talking frames for some characters (who are just stills atm) Part 1 of case 1 is almost complete! Just got a little more dialogue to write! I'm hoping it open up a more expansive investigation for day 2, as day 1 was a bit linear.

Art Person

Part 1 of Case 1 is, for the most part, complete! Currently in closed beta testing. I'll share the full case when it's finished.

I can't use pfp's from URLs ;-;

Seeing that new UI got me way too impressed; really, I was all like "OHHH NEW UI OOOOOOOOOOO-"
Good evening. Nate here.

Art Person

Nate wrote:
Seeing that new UI got me way too impressed; really, I was all like "OHHH NEW UI OOOOOOOOOOO-"

Thanks! I'm hoping it adds a unique flavour to my fan game. I really want to show how this isn't really set in the canon, but is its own thing following the AA formula.

I'm currently working out some technical issues with day 2 of case 1, but the case itself is progressing! I recently completed animating the sprites for my defense attorney Colton, for the prosecutor, for one of the witnesses and co-counsel sprites for the mentor, which finalises all the sprites for day 1's investigation and trial.
That doesn't mean my work's over. I have some more poses to make for 2 more characters, and then on the sprite front, case 1's assets are all made.

Day 2's overall structure is planned, and it's just a matter now of making all the assets and learning how to code some specific things I've not seen in any previous PYWright case. One of these being 3D evidence. I finally learned how to texture the models but now it's programming the examine regions that I need to decipher XD
Spoiler: large screenshot

In the meantime, I figured I'd share some concept art for the first case's defendant, Axel Steele.
Spoiler: Images galore
Image Image
The original sketch of Axel and first sprite I made of him in 2017. As you can see, I've kept the overall design but modified things a little and I think the newest design fits more into AA.

Despite settling on that 2017 design, I did toy with different ones to see what would work better. One in particular being this hairstyle (original file lost now so have this low-res jpeg).

Axel's "peace" emote initially was fully animated, but I lost the original file because I'm an idiot, and only had this GIF:
it's nice but the wrong size and a little too small to cleanly downscale. If I have the willpower to do so, I'll add it in.

SuperAj3 wrote:
Thanks! I'm hoping it adds a unique flavour to my fan game. I really want to show how this isn't really set in the canon, but is its own thing following the AA formula.

I'm currently working out some technical issues with day 2 of case 1, but the case itself is progressing! I recently completed animating the sprites for my defense attorney Colton, for the prosecutor, for one of the witnesses and co-counsel sprites for the mentor, which finalises all the sprites for day 1's investigation and trial.
That doesn't mean my work's over. I have some more poses to make for 2 more characters, and then on the sprite front, case 1's assets are all made.

Day 2's overall structure is planned, and it's just a matter now of making all the assets and learning how to code some specific things I've not seen in any previous PYWright case. One of these being 3D evidence. I finally learned how to texture the models but now it's programming the examine regions that I need to decipher XD
Spoiler: large screenshot

In the meantime, I figured I'd share some concept art for the first case's defendant, Axel Steele.
Spoiler: Images galore
Image Image
The original sketch of Axel and first sprite I made of him in 2017. As you can see, I've kept the overall design but modified things a little and I think the newest design fits more into AA.

Despite settling on that 2017 design, I did toy with different ones to see what would work better. One in particular being this hairstyle (original file lost now so have this low-res jpeg).

Axel's "peace" emote initially was fully animated, but I lost the original file because I'm an idiot, and only had this GIF:
it's nice but the wrong size and a little too small to cleanly downscale. If I have the willpower to do so, I'll add it in.

Niiiice
Good evening. Nate here.

"Justice!"

You've always had that great artstyle and what seems to be a deep lore behind some of your OC's, I'm excited to see you finally working on a fangame, let-alone a single case. Good luck, AJ!

AFAIR the method for determining examine regions for 3D evidence is the same as for investigations, only instead of background you place your coordinates on a texture file, which is, after all, twodimensional.

Art Person

UdgeyWudgey wrote:
You've always had that great artstyle and what seems to be a deep lore behind some of your OC's, I'm excited to see you finally working on a fangame, let-alone a single case. Good luck, AJ!

Aww thank you! :maya:
Darth Wiader wrote:
AFAIR the method for determining examine regions for 3D evidence is the same as for investigations, only instead of background you place your coordinates on a texture file, which is, after all, twodimensional.

OOH THE TEXTURES OK that helps me decipher the numbers a little LOL I was thinking I had to somehow specify rotation. I'll give that a go and see if it works. Thank you!

EDIT: Got it working! Adding examine regions caused a new issue where you could only examine something once and then future examine attempts wouldn't work, but I found a workaround and testing seems to have worked. So that's now done! I can move on to the next segment!

Art Person

Not much of an update, but I've been gathering music and assets for the locations of case 2.
I'm having a little writer's block for case 1 and also struggling to animate the breakdown for case 1, but I have it planned at the very least. Once I complete that and another set of sprites, I basically have all the assets I need for case 1 complete and I'll be implementing it all!

I want to get these out at a decent speed, but at the same time do things at my own pace so I don't rush and regret certain corners being cut. To keep people interested for the time being, I might as well talk about another character appearing in the case, being Stella.

Spoiler: Cast Profile: Stella
Stella, who I plan on making a recurring character in this fangame, was first designed for an OC competition held in 2014 here on Court Records. Her initial design was more a costume which matched her other band members:
ImageImage Image
Stella, Dimitri and Leon - Leon kinda disappeared and became Axel in the latest iteration of the band.

Originally she was a member of a different band, which also had the name the "Guilt Trips". This band has a similar dynamic to the newest, but different band members, with Axel not existing, and Leon being the other prominent band member.

I couldn't draw blood at all in 2014 LOL

Don't be alarmed, this is not spoiler for this fan game. Stella was actually the intended victim of a case called "Turnabout Investigations" I begun on AAO years back, and I have to say I'm happy I did not kill her off in the end (that case was horrible and had some weird tie in with Kristoph framing his brother for murder and Rhoda somehow appeared... IDK what teen me was thinking LOL).

Axel, Stella, Dimitri and Rex, or ASDR... that doesn't sound as good as RADS, but that's how I ordered them LMAO

Stella's current design actually came from a series of profile pictures I quickly sketched of the whole band. You'll recognise Stella and Axel, but the other 2 may or may not cameo in a future case...
In this iteration, the band was named "RADS" (and that carried over to the earliest demo of COAA case 1.). The name came from each member's initials - Rex, Axel, Dimitri, Stella.

ImageImageImage
Some of Stella's sprites. Stella wags her finger when annoyed, kinda like an 'uh uh!" type deal XD

I always pictured Stella to be a tomboy and the 'natural born leader' type - with her overt confidence showing through more often than not. While this won't ever hold any prominence in the game itself, she did have a one-sided crush on another band member (who I don't actually have a new sprite for yet, so I'll share later).

I am going to reprise Stella's stage dress for Case 2, which takes place at an awards ceremony - partly as an excuse to reuse this art I drew a while back:
Stella will be performing at a music awards show in case 2.

SuperAj3 wrote:
To keep people interested for the time being, I might as well talk about another character appearing in the case, being Stella.

Lookin' good
Good evening. Nate here.
Re: Colton Owen: Ace Attorney [PYWright]Topic%20Title

Art Person

I've done about half of investigation day 2's scripting. Hopefully this'll be done soon. I've found a way to streamline investigations which has been helpful!

Art Person

Sorry for the slow progress, but I'm 2 scenes away from completing Investigation Day 2!
The final trial segment will showcase a brand new ability for Colton, and much like all the things I've been doing with this case, I need make the assets for it. I've done most of them, but the initial template I made might need some revising, so I'll see how I go.

I'm getting excited knowing this work will soon pay off! ...And then I'm only 1/4 done with the fangame LMAO

I was thinking of who to preview next, and I figured it'd be the game's main detective, Addeline Winters.

Spoiler: Cast Profile: Addeline Winters
Meet Addeline, the peppy detective!

Addeline's conception was centred around the idea that she looked younger than she was, and so no one would take her seriously, leading to a more two-faced personality. This changed. I didn't like both how young she initially looked, and how similar she looked to pre-existing characters from other franchises.

Her current personality is more easily put into one word: Tsundere.
It's a little more complicated than that, but she does act overtly chummy with Colton, but very dismissive of his sister, Wendy. I sort of think that Addeline's relationship to the game's prosecutor, Priscilla, in the same way Gumshoe looks up to Edgeworth. She admires Priscilla and so is more willing to side with her. As for why she's so smitten with Colton... I'll hopefully delve into that as the game progresses.

Designing the Character:
Addeline's gone through the most design revisions out of the recurring cast.
Originally, she was supposed to look very different:
Love Live and iDOLM@STER called: They want their character(s) back.

Then came the redesign phase. I settled on a design that I liked, and experimented with colours. I kinda liked this colour scheme, but thought her and Priscilla matched too much. One thing I've decided with colours is to sorta use them to delineate sides. Colton and Wendy are the defence, so blue; Priscilla's Yellow, and Addeline's a neutral Green, being a mix of both colours.

Ultimately the design I settled on is one I quite like, and think it still captures that youthful energy I envisioned her having, as well as looking more the part of a detective.
(You can see my concept sketch for her final design on my DeviantArt.)

One last thing to note is Addeline's surname. It was initially "Waters", but after playing Ropfa's Conflict of Interest, I realised that's already been taken. I was trying to think of a different element to compliment surnames like "Skye", "Snow" and "Watters", and at one point settled on "Grassley" because it related to her colour scheme. I ultimately settled on "Winters". It suits this water/weather theming going on with fangame detectives and is in my way a little acknowledgement of the other big fangames out there.

Art Person

Not that many would notice this, but I'm going to put finishing case 1 on hold for a little. Shouldn't be for too long I just have other commitments that take priority for now I need to attend to.

I'm hoping I can organise my time a little better to still release the case by April, but it might be a bit later.

Art Person

Hi everyone, just a quick update! I've been working full time, so I've not got as much time to work on this as I'd like, but that doesn't mean I'll stop making this fan game!

I plan to release case 1 in the next few months, and hopefully before 2022 (it's looking to be that long)... I still need to draw some co-counsel sprites, a breakdown, and the assets for my new game mechanic, tentatively titled "Objection.exe". I hope to share more of this soon! Honestly, the asset creation is what's taking me the most time. I'm struggling to think of unique poses for each character, and need a solid few hours blocked out for each pose. I hope this time will be sped up the more I draw.

That being said, here are some character designs that are hot off the press! These characters will be appearing in future cases, and more info on them will be shared in due time.

Image Image

That's it for now, but I felt the need to post because it's almost May and I did say I'd try to get something done by April... I'm hoping once I release case 1, that some other interested people might offer to assist with things like scripting and asset creation. I feel a bit cheap asking now before anything concrete has been released to play right now.

This is coming along gorgeously! I'm impressed with the new AI and by how colorful the game is looking! Keep it up, I can't wait to get to try it!

Art Person

Windego wrote:
This is coming along gorgeously! I'm impressed with the new AI and by how colorful the game is looking! Keep it up, I can't wait to get to try it!

Thanks! I'm excited to share this when it's finally done! I'm hoping the subsequent cases will move a little faster once I finish this first case.

Amateur Artist

This game looks amazing so far! It already has such a distinct identity. I can't wait for it to come out

Art Person

So I shared my most recent build with someone for testing and it seems to be playing up.

If anyone would like to give beta-testing a try please let me know. I want to make this solid.

[Enter corny title]

I'd want to see the first episode happen just so that I can be in discord and goof with you.
I NEED THE TURNABOUT TO HAPPEN. :edgeworth: :edgeworth: :edgeworth:

ok have a fun time :edgey: :edgey: :edgey: :gant: :gant: :gant: :edgey: :edgey:
Haha signature below
-Bench
Haha signature above

Art Person

Update time!

Investigation Day 2 has been completed and is currently being beta-tested. I'm working full time now so progress will be slow, but I'm getting there!

I've also opened a discord server a few weeks back where I've been posting regular progress updates. Let me know if you'd like to join and I'll send an invite.

As for future plans, here are some previews for case 2!

ImageImageImageImage
(Here are some of the characters appearing in Case 2.)

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Art Person

Small update but I'm currently going about redoing animations for the mentor character, Wendy Owen.

Here's her new design!
ImageImage

I just think it's more emotive and a little more anatomically correct XD
Re: Temp Hiatus - Colton Owen: Ace Attorney [PYWright]Topic%20Title

Art Person

I should really post a status update here haha.

Short thing to note. I'm working full time now so progress is slow but not halted.

Since the last update I have:
- redone the UI almost entirely
- reworked my story to make the final trial flow more naturally
- added new sprites to Colton's animation set, and done some key art for the trial.
- received some wonderful new songs from AJTheProgrammer and Cleverhardy to use
- Planned my layout for trial day 2 and begun implementing it into the script.

I really want to get this done for you all! I'm excited to share more as I make it!

Here's the final UI in action. I'm finally satisfied with how it looks!
Page 1 of 1 [ 39 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games