Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 11 posts ]

PWAA - The Return of Ryunosuke Naruhodo [Cases 1 & 2]Topic%20Title

Phoenix Wright has just returned to England after an exhausting adventure in the town of Labyrinthia and is ready to relax for the rest of his stay. However, he soon gets involved in a string of mysteries that lead to him reviving a great ace attorney who disappeared a hundred years ago.
Follow defence attorneys Phoenix Wright and Ryunosuke Naruhodo as they fight for their clients' lives in the Crown Court of London while seeking the truth behind the rampage of the Doctor from a hundred years past!
This is a fan-made game, and has no affiliation with Capcom or Level-5.

This game has spoilers for both Great Ace Attorney games. At the bare minimum you should have played both of them and at least one game from the original trilogy. The game is set after Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright, but it doesn't have any spoilers for that and the little amount you need to know about its story is told to you right at the beginning.

The game has eight cases planned. Most of those are intended to be shorter than average, while cases 3, 5 and 8 would be on the longer side, so the completed game is expected to be roughly 24 hours long. Each release will be done in four parts - two cases per part. I might release 5 and 6 separately to each other though. We'll see when we get there. You can read a synopsis of each case below.

1. Turnabout Discoveries
2. Turnabout Spotlight
3. Turnabout Memoirs
4. The Medical Turnabout
5. Turnabout Resurrection
6. Turnabout Express
7. The Fractured Turnabout
8. The Miraculous Turnabout

Progress on Part 2:
Episode 3, Day 2:
Planning: 100%
Art: 100%
Investigation Script: 100%
Trial Script: 100%

Episode 4:
Planning: 100%
Art: 35%?*
Investigation Script: 100%
Trial Script: 100%
Epilogue Script: 100%

* 1 character done, 1 character not-done, bgs for the investigation should be all fine i think? 2 illustrations not done

Currently editing/testing: Case 4 Investigation

Cases 3 to 7 are all planned out in full detail (might want to redo the plan for 6 though).
Planning for case 8 is still in progress but it's getting there.......

Episode Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Episode 1: Turnabout Discoveries
Shortly after returning home from Labyrinthia, Professor Layton arranges a meeting with a past student of his. When said student dies before his eyes and the blame falls on himself, his good friend Phoenix Wright takes up his defence.

Episode 2: Turnabout Spotlight
Phoenix finally catches a break, and he spends it by watching a musical at the Queen's Theater. The show falls apart as soon as it begins when an actress is shot on stage in front of the entire audience. Phoenix and Maya suspect there's more to this case than meets the eye and decide to the defend the man held responsible, Director Kyle Cutter.

Episode 3: Turnabout Memoirs
Having solved the case at the theater, Phoenix spends the following night at his grandmother's house. During his stay, he reads through the files for a case that happened a long time ago. Four men gathered together on an isolated island for a game of cards, only for the owner of the house to pull out a gun and shoot one of his guests in the head!
This is the story of the final case ever taken by Ryunosuke Naruhodo.

Episode 4: The Medical Turnabout
Phoenix's grandmother suddenly falls very ill and is rushed to hospital. Help doesn't come immediately as her doctor has been arrested, accused of murdering one of her patients. It isn't long until a far more likely suspect emerges, but the prosecutor is hellbent on convicting Dr. Lockhart by means fair or foul.

Episode 5: Turnabout Resurrection
When Ryunosuke Naruhodo and Susato Mikotoba somehow awaken in the 21st century, Phoenix decides to befriend them both and offer his support. His visit is cut short when he learns there's been a murder back at his hotel, and a member of the staff's been accused! The baton passes from Phoenix to Ryunosuke as they're tasked with solving this case, or else they'll be forced to kneel before the King of the Crown Court.

Episode 6: Turnabout Express
Maya gets wrapped up in a murder case on board the Molentary Express while she's on the way back from the countryside. She avoids the accusation this time, but the kid standing trial needs a lawyer. Phoenix has been worked to the bone though, so he leaves this case for someone -- anyone else to take up instead.

Episode 7: The Fractured Turnabout
Ryunosuke searches his memories of his final days in the 20th century in an effort to figure out what exactly lead to him waking up in the current era.

Episode 8: The Miraculous Turnabout
The Miraculous Turnabout.

Preview images
Spoiler: In-game screenshots of cases 1 and 2

Image Image Image Image

Last edited by Ana R. on Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:04 pm, edited 85 times in total.
Re: PWAA - The Return of Ryunosuke Naruhodo [previews]Topic%20Title

Happy Maria

This looks really cool! Excited for the release, good luck!

Thank u, Southern Corn, I'll be sure to please You Specifically!

Right now I'm finishing up all the graphical stuff for case 2, now that all the actual art is done. After that I've one last round of assignment hell to get through and after that I should be clear to do the first round of playtesting and editing for this case.

til then here's a peek at some of the case 2 cast
Spoiler: Character Sprites

On another note, planning for case 3 just finished up properly. I like the second day of this case very much.
Image Image Image Image

this genuinely got me hooked! im interested to see the story unfold

Spoiler:
also of course this isnt an ace attorney fangame without maya as one of the suspects

After like a year of on-and-off planning, writing, scrapping old plans and rewriting, the opening chapters of Return of Ryunosuke are publicly available for everyone to play! This release includes the first two cases, Turnabout Discoveries and Turnabout Spotlight, as well as an unexpectedly lengthy preview of Turnabout Memoirs. The three cases combined come to roughly 4-5 hours of gameplay.

The preview of case 3 features the entire first trial. This first trial happens to be mostly unrelated to the events in the rest of the episode, so players won't have to worry about remembering all the minor details when the full version of the case releases, and can just resume where they left off through the chapter select.

Thanks to eerew and MasqueradeDemure for playtesting and their fairly extensive feedback.
Image Image Image Image
Re: PWAA - The Return of Ryunosuke Naruhodo [Cases 1 & 2]Topic%20Title

Played the first two cases and the first part of the third case. I absolutely love it. Everyone felt in character and the Jury mechanic was my favorite part of the whole shebang. Can't wait to see what's next.

the last romantic alive

Hey, I recently finished the demo and holy crap that was awesome! The cases were really good(especially the third one, even though it´s only half done yet) I am really excited to see more of this game!

I only have some complaints, like Ryunosuke´s screams being very low quality and the investigation sections being too short, cuz sometimes it feels like you just go to 4 places and you are already on the trial, but still, really good game! :edgey:

As people working on their own mystery-based fan project, my co-director and I have been actively seeking out highly-praised fan projects to critique on what they do well and where they fall short on Twitch. As fans of the series, the idea of The Great Ace Attorney cast being brought to the modern day was interesting enough to see what you were working on.

Thank you for making this project. The first case alone has been more of a delight than any of the fan games we've played prior. Your clear understanding of the writing, proper mystery structure, and respect for the source material shines through. We will be following this project closely and cannot wait to see what you have in store for us in the future.

Best of luck to you!

Just wanted to pop in and leave some feedback on the 1st case.

I think it's really solid. It didn't waste time getting to the actual meat of the case and it was fairly consistent logically for the most part.
I do have a few criticisms of it, though (heavy spoilers ahead):
Spoiler: Case 1
There are some points where I felt like the defense was leaping to conclusions too quickly given the current facts of the case, causing things to get a bit jumbled. There is one point where it's not that bad, but it does set the stage for a pretty bad post-objection conclusion.

After testimony 1, you establish the contradiction with the Autopsy Report and the witness's account of the murder. This leads to a little too much speculation about when the victim actually died, which is a bit reaching in my opinion, but it's more-or-less saved by the fact that the witness adjusts the story to say that it's possible what he saw wasn't the moment the victim died.

At this point (functionally speaking), the following testimony is operating under the witness's claim that Carmine simply fell over after drinking the tea from some unrelated ailment, then died 30 minutes later which fits with the Autopsy. This is a really hard story to break because you now have to essentially prove that Carmine did actually die at that moment.

Having the conversation pivot to the newspaper story from here with the contradiction about the witness's knowledge introduces the side of the case where it's possible the victim and witness met at some point. What it doesn't do is actually resolve the topic that got us into that testimony in the first place. Having Phoenix assert later that it's possible the victim was poisoned 30 minutes earlier isn't substantiated because the changes the witness made to his original story already resolves the outstanding issue from the 1st testimony.

I understand the purpose of the 1st case was to function as a tutorial for what will be about 8 full cases so it was intentionally short, but this is definitely something to keep in mind for future cases because, in a longer case, it might've been better to actually explore that outstanding issue in more depth AFTER you established that the 2 could've met.

The last thing I was a bit put off by was the introduction of "3D" examinable evidence interfering with the flow of the case as it's essentially a deus-ex machina reveal that immediately puts an end to the witness's argument as he makes it when this mechanic is revealed. Again, I understand this is just a tutorial, but it does cheapen the case in a way when this type of thing comes up because I really wasn't responsible for finding the answer, it was just given to me for free.

This also causes a much larger issue with the tea cup. The tea cup having the victim's name on it doesn't actually tell us anything besides 1. the victim potentially being the actual owner of the tea cup and 2. the fact that the poison was in a cup with his name on it. It's a bit of a reach in the last stretch of the case when Phoenix makes a series of assumptions that this somehow connects the witness to the poisoning itself because of their supposed meeting 30 minutes prior (which is again not that well-established either).

Again, I understand that this is most likely going to be rectified later on as it was heavily implied that there were shenanigans going on in this first case that led to the witness being framed, but I do think these things will be relevant later in cases that don't have as many over-arching plot elements as this one.

Despite all this, I still want to say that I don't hate this case and I don't think it's bad in the slightest. I think you're doing stuff that's well ahead of most fancase creators right now and these discussions about case design are good problems to be running into. I really like the premise you're going with of revisiting the Witch Trials and I'll look forward to playing the rest when it's finished.

Accidentally double posted, my bad.

I really liked the first 2 and a half cases and am looking forward to the final part of case 3 (and case 4) when they come out!

I don't see Ryonosuke or the GAA jury system used in other fangames, so special kudos for implementing those (somehow)!

About the 3rd case,
Spoiler:
Will we ever learn why he was in pajamas? Or was that just for rule of funny?

Also, thanks for keeping us notified on the progress in the first post.
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games