Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 3 of 42[ 1674 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next

Re: Introducing PyWright - my script based case maker (beta5)Topic%20Title

Wow, all of a sudden people are using this and breaking it. That's both cool and frightening at the same time! I'm sorry I haven't supported it as much as I should have. I am getting together the next beta, which will not have any script fixes, but does have better gif support (including supporting apollo gifs). It will have a downloader to allow you to download character graphics one at a time, whenever you need a new one (and all official characters from court records are on the download service!)

I will be done with that today, and I'll try to get some scripting fixes in within a week, now that you are revealing some problems.

To ping: That's an interesting case, and a good example where a variable would be needed and flags just don't cut it. I will add variables and all the standard tests for them for beta 7. I will also look into adding boolean support to the logic, so you could go "flag something AND something". Really interesting work around you came up with, kinda scary, but brilliant!

To BigM: It looks like the art converter is sorta broken. I think it crashed or something in the middle of conversion the last time you ran it, and then it is erroring out because things are half converted. A reinstall of the art would fix it. Beta6 coming out today will have a new art structure, so you can just wait and use that.

To Ceres: Thank you for your comments! Beta6 (today today today!) will have an art downloader, apollo graphics will be included! The interface will remain the gba interface for now, and with so much art there will likely be some problems, but it will get there eventually.

To slezak: Penalty bug should be fixored in beta 6, also right hand quotation marks shouldn't be required but I think they are. Also fixed in beta6 :) Sorry about the cross examination confusion. I made the doc a little more clear on how they are set up. The doc still needs a hammer taken to it though.

Thanks for the comments and bug reports. I will release the next beta in a few hours.
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.
Re: Introducing PyWright - my script based case maker (beta5)Topic%20Title

Wow, all of a sudden people are using this and breaking it. That's both cool and frightening at the same time! I'm sorry I haven't supported it as much as I should have. I am getting together the next beta, which will not have any script fixes, but does have better gif support (including supporting apollo gifs). It will have a downloader to allow you to download character graphics one at a time, whenever you need a new one (and all official characters from court records are on the download service!)

I will be done with that today, and I'll try to get some scripting fixes in within a week, now that you are revealing some problems.

To ping: That's an interesting case, and a good example where a variable would be needed and flags just don't cut it. I will add variables and all the standard tests for them for beta 7. I will also look into adding boolean support to the logic, so you could go "flag something AND something". Really interesting work around you came up with, kinda scary, but brilliant!

To BigM: It looks like the art converter is sorta broken. I think it crashed or something in the middle of conversion the last time you ran it, and then it is erroring out because things are half converted. A reinstall of the art would fix it. Beta6 coming out today will have a new art structure, so you can just wait and use that.

To Ceres: Thank you for your comments! Beta6 (today today today!) will have an art downloader, apollo graphics will be included! The interface will remain the gba interface for now, and with so much art there will likely be some problems, but it will get there eventually.

To slezak: Penalty bug should be fixored in beta 6, also right hand quotation marks shouldn't be required but I think they are. Also fixed in beta6 :) Sorry about the cross examination confusion. I made the doc a little more clear on how they are set up. The doc still needs a hammer taken to it though.

Thanks for the comments and bug reports. I will release the next beta in a few hours.
Re: Introducing PyWright - my script based case maker (beta6)Topic%20Title

Just a heads up, beta 6 is now live. It's recommended to wipe out your art directory and use the updater to download only what you need. The portraits are now stored by character, so the old organization won't work. The update service has all of the portraits and backgrounds from court records, so it is nearly possible to reimplement the whole series in pywright, save for the lack of psyche locks and apollo's bracelet.

Any custom art should be placed inside case folders in a mirror of the root directory. As an example, if you have a custom prosecutor named Gerard Butler, you would put his emotions in "PhantomCase/art/port/gerard" like so:
PhantomCase/art/port/gerard/normal(talk).gif
PhantomCase/art/port/gerard/normal(blink).gif
PhantomCase/art/port/gerard/demasque(talk).gif
PhantomCase/art/port/gerard/demasque(blink).gif

This way your artwork doesn't get mixed in with official art. There is a LOT of official art, so finding your specific ones can get difficult. On that note, if you would like me to host your official art on the download service, email me your packs or links to your artwork. In the next version I am going to add an OC section to the update service, and it would be cool to open it with some things already there.

Note: There are so many files there was no way I could test them all. If you notice a problem with any profile that doesn't work quite right, let me know on pm or email, and I will fix it.

I have not gotten to some of those scripting issues that were mentioned, specifically being able to check for multiple flags/variable support, but I'll definitely have those fixes and more in a week.

Two more games coming up soon

saluk: Thx!

PyWright beta6 is brilliant.
I desperately needed animated sprites for OlderEma, Meekins and the judge =)
Everything seems to be working so far. Good job!
Creator of Apollo Justice Case 5: Turnabout Substitution: Trailer - Download
Co-creator of New Year's Turnabout, Turnabout Revolution, and At Dawn's Break

^ Ji Hye Jang

saluk wrote:
This way your artwork doesn't get mixed in with official art. There is a LOT of official art, so finding your specific ones can get difficult. On that note, if you would like me to host your official art on the download service, email me your packs or links to your artwork.

Either you or someone else would have to convert the format, since I'm a PWLib user, but feel free to add Ji Hye from my fangame to the service.
Proud creator of the first released PWLib-made fangame! ^_^

Now with Glasses!

Beta 6's release is a dream come true!
Ideas for Beta 7:
-Psyche Locks (Just add the animation with presenting, shouldn't be too hard to do.)
-Apollo's Perceive system (Would be fun to perceive people like Phoenix himself)
-3-D examination (Necessary for it to be complete for the first game)
-Save/Load (makes it possible to make full games)
-Mouse control (GBA controls are fun, but I perfer pointing and clicking to resemble the DS games)

Ideas that'd be nice:
-Testimony fixing (When you press or present some evidence and a witness fixes their testimony)
-Automatic entering (You know how in casemakers how if you type too much you will make it go to the next line instead of going past the box? This is what I'm talking about.)
-Music/SFX downloader (The Downloader for the art was a brilliant idea but having one for music and SFX would make this a shoe in for one of the top three casemakers.)

A bug I noticed with the AJ sprites were that a white border surrounded Klavier's default sprite.
Other then that, keep up the good work saluk, I'm rooting for you!
Back, check out LOZ AA.

If only I had the time to do all of those things Klavice!

Planned for 7:
pwlib content loader/converter (not sure which yet)
Psyche locks
Save/load
music/sfx download
automatic formatting - thanks for pointing out the lack of this
some portion of an editor - perhaps at least for dialog so you can see how it looks

Mouse control is possible, I have the gui code from the downloader, but I don't know how hard it will be to integrate into the rest of the game. Since I'd like 7 to be sooner rather than later, if this takes up too much time it will have to be in beta 8.

Testimony fixing can be done currently with flags, although it might be a bit clunky. I will be looking at scripting a bit in regards to some of the issues that have been cropping up on ways to streamline it even further than it already is.

In regard to Klavier's sprite, I'll look into it. I have discovered that .gif is quite possibly the worst image format every created :) It may be a case of just fixing the sprite itself.

3d support and the perceive system are quite advanced, not much chance of either until after beta is over I think. Both require significant coding/recoding of existing systems.

I just noticed that some of Meekins's sprites don't work because : "pygame.error: Width or height is too large".
Also, GS4Ema is perfect when talking but not so much when blinking.
Other than that everything I've been trying to do has been working fine.
Looking forward to beta7 =)

It's cool to see the forums are back! I've been working hard on pywright, some of the things I thought would be simple were difficult, and other things I thought would be difficult were easy. Mouse support - easy. Uploading games - hard.

I'll have a new release out tomorrow for sure, with all of the features I mentioned before. Saving works, I have added new organization so there is a folder of "games" which are collections of cases, these can then be uploaded and downloaded with the updater. Mouse support is good and I feel silly for not including it for so long. The editor is coming along verrrry slowly, but you can now edit at least textboxes and see what it will actually look like with formatting, color, and pauses.

I am still having trouble with the gif support, one set of code works for some gifs, and another set of code works for others. There is no way to unify this code, and there is no way to analyze a gif to decide which method to use. So I will have to add a line of text in gif info files to make it load the file the correct way.

Oh and psyche locks work well enough, it is not perfect but will improve.

I wanted to finish tonight but the uploading code was a bit tougher than I anticipated, and now I'm tired :(

Yay, CR is back!

Yayayay I can't wait.
Thank you, once again!

Yo Dawg!

interesting case maker you got here saluk! quite a unique engine. no mouse. lol picture someone clicking nonstop and screaming DAMMIT!

Anyway this is a good case making system. What I like is that its cross platform, so it runs on Linux. I played around with the scripts and it works very well, only got a few errors but I think that was me. its keyboard controlled so that was the only thing that took me a while to get used to.

Anyway, I wish you luck on future versions of this!

Yay another fan :) By the way, PyWright is keyboard only no longer. I'm hurredly readying beta 7 for release as we speak!

Don't hesitate to post any errors you are getting. Even if it is "just you" you never know if someone else may be having the same problem and not saying anything. Also, if there is anything I can do to make things easier, that's what I'm here for.
Re: Introducing PyWright - my script based case maker (beta7)Topic%20Title

Beta 7. Wow. Each new release takes twice as long to package as the last one. I've been working on last minute programming and packaging issues for a solid 5 hours.

Enjoy.

Exe
Src

Should be able to extract this right over your other directory. I recommend downloading test game, and the locks foreground pack, all from the updater, to check out psyche locks.

Hit F5 to quicksave, and F7 to quickload. You can load your game from the case selection screen, similar to the real games. No "save+quit" though like the real games.

Beta7 is jam packed with features. Long awaited mouse support is here! It's not dual screens, but it's a start. Then of course the psyche locks. Better gif handling, better organization, save/load... Just better. This is also the first release to officially include an editor, although it is still in a very early state. I redid some of the documentation, although it still is probably awful. I should probably start over completely. Maybe for version 1.0 :)

I expect many errors/issues with downloading/uploading stuff, but I'm pretty sure the core is as bug free as it's ever been. If something won't download right or show up on the list that should be there, try deleting any/all of the related folders from your system first, and trying again.

Onward to beta8, where I kill myself again and add 12 new features or something, hehe.
Re: The PyWright Casemaker Thread (beta7 - chains and mouse!)Topic%20Title

I'd say

hey, great to hear you added mouse support, now the only thing we need is "a big ugle arrow" to go with it :p , i'l try out the new version right away.

Just a note: The case "chains" in the test game only deomstrated the animation. I added a new case called "psyche" which shows how you would do an actual psyche lock section. It's all a bit hacky, I want to make the scripting language a bit cleaner, unified, and clear, while keeping the simple feel. I probably won't do this for a few releases though.

Anyway, just download the test game again from updater to get a better feel for psyche locks in gameplay.

And I know the unlock is a bit bad, it will be fixed of course.

Further note: not sure if I mentioned this anywhere else. Since the penalty box uses variables instead of a hardcoded value, I decided the "nopenalty" command was a bit redundant. Here is how you can emulate the nopenalty command in the new version:

Code:
old:
nopenalty end

new:
is penalty 0 end

for fun:
is penalty < 50 tooclose
label tooclose
char judge
"You better watch it mister.{n}You are in hot water!"

Now with Glasses!

Saluk, you are officially my hero.
Thanks for working so hard for the sake of your fans, we really appreciate all your hard work.
Good luck with beta 8 and I'd be happy to suggest features for you.
Here's some features that would be awesome.
-Dual Screens
-The ability to switch between DS and GBA (because people have different perferances)
-Touch Screen Features
-Improved editor (it's a nice touch!)
-MP3 Support
I'm sure you'll be able to do at least one of them Saluk. :phoenix:
Back, check out LOZ AA.

I have a lot of ideas for the editor, so that's a given :)

Dual screens should be fairly doable, and as long as I leave the old buttons in there, letting people switch modes should be easy as well. So these features are in the works.

Which touch screen features do you mean exactly?

mp3 support - Depends on if I can find a library that supports them. I could include a converter. Obviously more formats supported the better, but in this case I think my hands might be tied.

Let me know if you think of anything else!

Now with Glasses!

Some features I mean are:
3-D evidence examination
Dusting for fingerprints/toeprints
That Scanner in AJ
Luminol Spray
I'm sure most should be doable, I'm not sure you'd be able to do the 3-D evidence examination just yet.
How about the ability to add a sound effect during a statement, besides the shaking/flashing like I could suddenly have Klavier play the air guitar with his sound effect of the guitar during a speech then have a scream be heard.
EG:
char Klavier
"It would go like... THIS! {eairguitar} sfx airguitar sfx scream"
A few of Kristoph's sprites are a bit buggy like his angry sprite is all glitchy.
I'll let you know when I find more bugs and have more features saluk!
Back, check out LOZ AA.

Quote:
3-D evidence examination

It would be really easy to do 2D evidence examination, though. Just set the "check" function of the item to a examine thing like investigation examination!

Anyways, talking about the new release.... Beta 7 is AWESOME! :karma: The content downloader is neat, the editor is looking good, and the new 'game' setup looks very nice. And, unlike PWLib, not only can it run on Windows, (Joking obviously... I'm sure those weird driver problems are resolved by now.... right? :\ ) but it can run on Mac and Linux too!

One thing I've noticed though.... character text.... is it just me, or does text typing run at a different frame rate than everything else in the program? It's kinda.... weird. :yuusaku:

Lastly, I think that instead of having the current GBA/DS combo look, you should aim for the complete GBA look. Putting it in would only probably only require minimal changes to the engine, and I've got all the graphics here! :edgy: So, here's some reference, firstly:
This is investigation:
^ (Just ignore my crappy hand drawn font there) As you can see, instead of having a 2x2 grid of buttons, the GBA version has them all on the top. The selected one is brighter and slides down a bit upon selection, like so:
Image -> Image
Except there's a little animation inbetween. Examining is basically the same on the DS, except this :gbaglove: is used instead of the crosshairs. (I still have NO idea why that was accepted as a smiley lol....)

Selecting for Move or Talk works like this:
Image->Image->Image

I tried to capture the animation the best I could, but you get the idea, right? Basically things slide around like that, and it lists the stuff pretty much just like the DS version.

Presenting looks about the same, but you end up with this instead:

Yes, that's right, there's no handy grid court record in the GBA versions. You have to scroll through everything one by one! From the screenie, things should be self explanatory... the arrows wiggle a bit, and it scrolls when you press left/right, etc....

The current court systems (except for the court record) are pretty much spot on to the GBA version, so that pretty much requires no change.

And now, for usable graphics for everything just mentioned:
^ Court record slot. (Picture fits in hole, yellow text for item name on top, rest is item desc.)
^ Investigation slots, bright and "dark". Ask About included just because it sounds cooler. :phoenix: (And I wanted to see just how much text I could fit on those things....)
^ Selected item in list. Put centered text with RGB 72,16,24 in center. Use an anti-aliased font.
^ Unselected item in list. Put centered text with RGB 32,32,32 in center. Use an anti-aliased font.

There's a couple missing (ex: arrows, little CR texts), and I can submit those later. Since PyWright uses the DS screen size, things might not fit as snugly as they do in the GBA screen size, but it'll probably still end up looking fine.

If you don't feel like making all these changes, I might try to implement them in the source. The source seems to be designed to make GUI changes/building easy, from what I remember of seeing it. :edgy:

Now with Glasses!

Nice look BigFish! And with the ability to switch between GBA and DS that'd be great!
We could have seperate folders for GBA graphics like the ones you posted and DS graphics.
By 3-D I mean like turning evidence around, zooming in, etc.
Oh and video support would be nice in a future release! :jake:
I'm making a Objection/Hold-It/Take That! pack for if you want seperate objections for all the characters.
Just add the name of said character to the Objection/Hold It/Take That
Or NA for an OHT with no sound.
Back, check out LOZ AA.

Quote:
Nice look BigFish!

Thanks. :phoenix: Those screenies are from the real GBA games..... one of the reasons I like the GBA ones better than the DS ones even though I can't understand what's going on at all. :yuusaku:

Quote:
By 3-D I mean like turning evidence around, zooming in, etc.

Yeah, but for now at least, 2D evidence examining is probably as close as you'll get. It technically IS possible to use 3d in PyGame, but it would be hard to program, and making 3d models is just a pain. You could try to simulate 3d by drawing the evidence at different angles. (Such as you examine a point and a closer drawn pic of that point comes up, you move cursor to side and it goes to a pic of other side of evidence, and other tricks like that.)

Quote:
Oh and video support would be nice in a future release!

Video support in PyGame is screwy at best. The videos have to be in a specific format of MPEG, and there's no sound support. Maybe newer versions fix this, but until it is fixed, video support in PyGame probably won't happen. PyWright has very good character moving commands though, so you can shake things up a bit with 'show maya x=50' or something to show characters off center.

Thanks for the offer of implementing this. Honestly, implementing interfaces and making sure everything looks right/official etc is the most boring part of working on a casemaker for me. I mean, it was fun at first, but got pretty dull as time went on. You can check out the code from

svn://svn.spinheaddev.com/pyphoenix/trunk

I use tortoisesvn on windows, it rocks. If svn bothers you, you can email or pm me patches as well. Let me know when you need commit access and I'll send you an account.

I think what is really needed is interface abstraction. Right now, a lot of the main functions for behavior is located within the interface pieces themselves. If I could seperate it, make it more MVC than it already is, then we could easily give people options of how they want things to look. Although for now, the easiest thing would be to subclass one of the existing interfaces, like the evidence_menu class (court record) and overwrite how it's drawn.

Overall, I would say most of the code is not confusing or too complicated, but it is definitely messy.

In the end I would like for people to have the option of GBA, DS, or mixed interfaces.

"Touch" examination features:
It's true, 2d examination would be very easy to pull off. Even pseudo 3d, where you make 3 pictures of an item for the front side and back would not be too hard to do. You could even put the grid lines as part of the picture to make it look authentic. 3d would not only be hard for me to convert to, being that I picked to not use opengl, but also be harder for you to handle. Making 3d models is not easy, and I'm not even sure how you would assign click points exactly. Also, if I do switch to opengl for the display, it's going to make pywright less portable, which is one of it's main features I think. However, if I want to expand the engine beyond emulating the old games, 3d is probably something it will need. I can imagine someone thinking about how to do a hotel dusk style game for instance.

The luminol, x-ray, finger prints etc are probably too much to do in wrightscript, but wouldn't be too hard for me to add. They may be in beta 8, although my focus for 8 are bugs not features.

Sound effects:
You CAN do sound effects in a statement. Thanks to my disorganized doc.txt, you must have missed it. Check section number 5, near the end of the file.
Example:
Code:
char Klavier
"It would go like... THIS! {eairguitar} {sfxairguitar.ogg} {sfxscream.ogg}"

-> will play sfx/airguitar.ogg and sfx/scream.ogg
.wav files are also supported for sound effects.

Mp3 files aren't explicitly supported, but may work on some systems. It's an SDL thing.

Last edited by saluk on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yeah, you should be able to recreate most movies through use of x/y commands and scroll commands; although the scroll needs a bit more work. If you'll notice the chain unlock problem, where one chain has to go all the way off before the other one, that's because scroll can only scroll the entire screen, or the highest object on the stack. I need to let you name objects, probably with a name=x argument, and then this problem will be fixed. But the chains show you what you can accomplish in wrightscript alone. Except for a small fix to scrolling, the chains required no python code.

All this talk about the 3d interface has made me want to make a demo case to show how it could be accomplished in 2d. I'll get working on that :) With examining, you can concieveably make your own interfaces for things too, but it might take some work. I may do away with examining and expose more of the gui controls to wrightscript, and then recreate examining with that. This could allow more flexibility. I am just talking out loud here though, not promising anything. I am taking a bit of time off after beta 7, unless there are pressing bugs to fix.

Speaking of bugs, I did notice something weird happen with text a while back. I think it might have been something to do with the updated pygame, but I'm not sure. I need to recode the textboxes though, it's very confusing and hard to work with. If I do this, maybe the timing issue will work itself out. It would help if those of you with problems with text could turn on the fps meter (d for debug) and let me know what fps they are getting while text is being printed. It could be that this is slow on some machines. I need to know if it is slow fps or a timing issue.

Also, I checked out kyouya's sprites, and I can see what you mean. It may be something that can't be fixed until I improve the animation system/make a sprite editor. Since the blink and talk modes are in the same gif, I have been just splitting the frames in half. Obviously, his animations don't work like that. It would take some work to go through all the gifs and separate them out, but that would probably be the best option. In fact, I should just bite the bullet and go through all art and convert to pngs. Gif is dumb :)

BigFish, I wasn't aware movies were so bad in pygame? I had always intended to add that as an option. I was thinking about switching to pyglet, which would give 3d support, better framerates, better movie support, mp3, etc; but it's a big switch. Also, pygame is still much more portable and stable.

I was bored so I made an emulation of the 3d examination. Download the new test_3d case from updater to see it! Making it revealed to me a few flaws in wrightscript that I will fix in b8:

* having both labels and results is stupid. In b8 result will be an alias to label, so they can be used interchangeably. Also, the way it chooses where to jump, and result none will be looked at. Something just feels off with this system, and it's very fiddly.
* no way to make specific regions hidden, they are all hidden. I wanted to make gui hotspots not show the "check" icon, whereas hotspots on the item should show the check. But as it is I had to hide everything.
* Small bug in that if you click the mouse before moving it while the crosshairs are at the center, it clicks where the crosshairs are, and not the mouse. I will fix this in the next version. I think also I will make the crosshairs not move with the mouse, but you drag them instead. Functionally works the same, just feels annoying if alternating keyboard and mouse and the mouse automatically moves it.

Now with Glasses!

When could we expect the next release? If you don't mind me asking.
Back, check out LOZ AA.

Next release, uh, somewhere between 1 to 3 weeks. I always update the wiki page when I have a date mostly locked in, although I have been known to miss those dates as well :) Beta 8 is less ambitious, so I hope it's closer to 1 week than 3. I do have other projects and a job, and generally don't work on pywright much except in bursts (like wednesday, where I coded for many hours straight).

Keep those bug reports coming though. I am especially interested in any work arounds you have to use to make the engine do what you want, or just quirky scripting you have to do in an instance. This is the main focus of the next release, so the more problems I know about, the better it will become.

Wow. Brilliant as usual, saluk.
- Save/load works. It's incredibly quick and efficient. "Bravo!"
- Mouse works (except when toggling between evidence / profile + there's no Back button but you already said it). Can't wait for the ugly arrow.
- Multiple flag works (but you can't do noflag 1 AND 2). Still, this makes my job a lot easier.
- Haven't tried Locks.
- 3D check looks promising.

Features you could add (maybe it's just me)
- stop displaying evidence in the corner + right / left corner?
- intro-like text: if you click on it / press enter nothing happens (with double screen it stops showing the ugly arrow)
- when you pause you should be able to choose whether you want the character to stop blinking.
- court-records: the game shouldn't allow you to select the 6th evidence if there are only 5 of them, but neither should it show an error message when you try.

Thank you for everything!

Non-skip text is something I meant to add, just forgot about it. There will be 3 modes - fully skipable, never skipable, and skipable if seen already, which can be toggled at will in the script. (Plus a debug run mode that still allows skipping all text).

Court records - wasn't aware it still had bugs, I'll check it out.

Need clarification on:
- stop displaying evidence in corner: do you mean hiding the gui item? If I make the gui accessible from wrightscript this will be easy to do.
- pause and blink - I think you mean the character stops blinking during a pause, this happens because the pause blocks everything. I might be able to adjust the priority of the pause class so that it won't block animation - then again, animation is what a pause should block, no? Maybe pause is supposed to only stop a script. Send me an example script and tell me what you are expecting to happen, and I'll do my best to make it work that way.

- What I mean is that "ev" works until the end of the script; I don't know how to stop displaying the evidence when I want to. Maybe I just didn't understand the documentation.
- What I want is a pause where nothing happens / the player can't do anything but the character keeps blinking at the same time - a pause that serves only to build suspense.

Ping' wrote:
- What I mean is that "ev" works until the end of the script; I don't know how to stop displaying the evidence when I want to. Maybe I just didn't understand the documentation.

Ah, good find. I haven't used ev in any of my cases since the very first intro I made, so it hasn't been tested through all of the numerous changes. I'll fix it in the next version. I think I may get out the next version in a few days. Until then, the "clear" command DOES in fact clear the evidence. You will of course have to load the background and any other things again, since they have been cleared.

Ping wrote:
- What I want is a pause where nothing happens / the player can't do anything but the character keeps blinking at the same time - a pause that serves only to build suspense.

I see. I think this is just a matter of changing the priority of the pause effect. Workaround - use delay in a textbox.

By the way Ping, I can't seem to make the court record crash no matter how hard I try - except if I add evidence whose image doesn't exist. If you can crash it, can you send me a script that crashes it, tell me when to go into the record, and exactly where to click to make the crash happen? Try it on the test case and tell me if it crashes there or only in your script.

I definitely plan to have a small incremental release very soon that just has minor changes and no major new features. Beta 7 leaves a lot of loose ends :(

Thanks =)
Quote:
Until then, the "clear" command DOES in fact clear the evidence. You will of course have to load the background and any other things again, since they have been cleared.
> Yep. I was already doing it, by the way, but it seemed too much like a "trick".

You're right, court-records only shows an error message with my script, but it's almost identical to yours, except I use different names and pics.
Anyway, it doesn't crash when you use the mouse instead.
Re: The PyWright Casemaker Thread - 9.3 coming soonTopic%20Title

Wow, since the move to invision, PyWright has jumped two versions! I'm putting in some minor fixes for 9.3 release in a few hours, and beta 10 should be next week or the week after.

Beta 10 is supposed to have 3d, resolution options, and dual screen, but we'll see. It might only have one of those things. As usual, there will probably be a few new features to the editor, but it still won't really be functional; there will be many fixes for scripting; and maybe some tweaks to the updater.
Re: The PyWright Casemaker Thread - 9.3 update is upTopic%20Title

Hi, I finished up the fixes for 9.3. Just some simple things. You can now choose not to fade the background of lists/investigation, as per BigFishes changes. "set _menu_fade_level 0" will turn fading off completely, you can also "set _menu_fade_level 100" if you want the screen to fade to black for the menu. I fixed numerous bugs that Ralladan was kind enough to point out. I really appreciate it.

Code:
list a_list

will now automatically create a label "a_list", so that you don't have to do:

Code:
label a_list
list a_list

The exit command works as documented. Instead of doing squat.

Spaces are now allowed in game folders.

Art can be stored gamewide, so there is a natural layering of where art should go. Downloaded from pywright downloader? Keep it in the root folder. Making a lawer or different looking judge who is going to be in many of your cases in a game? Put it in yourgame/art. Making a single witness, piece of evidence, or someones cell phone ringtone that is only used in one case? Put it in yourgame/thecase/art.

Finally, something that might not be so useful now, but will be much more useful as I add more variable commands: When the player chooses something from a list, their selection is stored in a system variable "_selected". You can now do some interesting things with this variable. Store it to a more permanent variable to remember a choice the player made. Maybe you can choose your eye color?

Code:
char hottie
"(On the phone) What is your eye color?"
char playa
"Hmm, should I tell her my eyes are yellow, or make something up..."
list eye_color
li green
li blue
li yellow
showlist

#It will go to none because I have not created any labels for the options
label none
set eyecolor $_selected
"Ah, so you are telling me your eyes are {$eyecolor}?  Well, I love that color.  We will have to meet!"

#later on when they meet
is $eyecolor yellow good_choice

label bad_choice
"What??? Your eyes are yellow???  If you had told me that, I would have never met you!"
exit

label good_choice
"Wow, I love your yellow eyes!"

There are many more possibilities. You could accomplish the same thing the old way by making a separate label for each option and setting the value there, but this is a lot easier.

Anyway, if you have an already updated 9.2, go ahead and download 9.3 from the update service. If not, grab 9.2 from here: http://gyakutenwiki.net/index.php?title ... t#Download and update to 9.3.
Re: The PyWright Casemaker Thread - 9.3Topic%20Title

Legendary Ace Attorney

Cool!, Nice,.... so we can make multiple cases? or only one. Never Tried this, I'm just downloading it.

Yeah, you can put all of your cases into a single game and it shows a case select screen. Please let me know if you have any problems.

Legendary Ace Attorney

How can I start this? Do I need a game? to run the editor?

If you run "updater" and download the test game, that has the most examples of how to do all of the phoenix wrighty things that can be done. The editor can't create new games, cases, or files at this time, it is more of a preview of what I'm working on than a functional editor. Generally, you will write the scripts for pywright in the text editor of your choice (notepad works fine). The readme file, doc.txt, that comes with pywright has all of the technical info you will need, and probably more info than you need really, but it's the best we have at this time. A tutorial would probably be helpful, but I haven't written one yet.

You will probably want to download some portraits (port), some backgrounds (bg), and at least the locks foreground (fg) pack. Just use the updater and browse to each category, select all of the items, and click on download. The pywright you download only contains the interface graphics (to keep download size at it's minimal).

Thanks for taking a look at it. I'd like to write a tutorial, but just writing the engine takes most of my free time, and good tutorials aren't easy to write. I wonder if anyone could help me in this area?

Legendary Ace Attorney

It's hard to use.

I am the ace prosecutor

I downloaded this and it's not working...the program isn't even opening...I got everything I needed (Python 2.5, Pygame, and PIL) but it's still not opening even when I double click on it several times it doesn't open..any of u know why? I want to use this so badly but I can't grrrr :chinami: well plz help

Dialseus Gavin wrote:
It's hard to use.

Sorry it doesn't work for you. Any suggestions on what to improve? Your comment is not very constructive. Maybe you should check back when the editor is more complete.

DoubleA5 wrote:
I downloaded this and it's not working...the program isn't even opening...I got everything I needed (Python 2.5, Pygame, and PIL) but it's still not opening even when I double click on it several times it doesn't open..any of u know why? I want to use this so badly but I can't grrrr :chinami: well plz help

Hmm. Are you on windows? You should be using the exe version in that case, and shouldn't need python or anything else to run it. Since you already downloaded it, the source version is OK, but in windows it won't print or log the errors, which is going to make it hard to figure out what's going on. Anyway, tell me which platform you are on, which version you downloaded (src or exe), and what file you are double clicking.
Page 3 of 42 [ 1674 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Games