Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby

Page 4 of 7[ 271 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Re: Case 5 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

Prosecutor

SUPER-DUPER SPOILERS!

Shih-Na was a huge, and WELCOME, surprise - one of the great, "Oh, YES!" moments in the game. Her parting shot ("I didn't kill anybody tonight") was also wonderful. She just seems to be having so much fun, and to be so aware of how ridiculous the whole game is. Her odds of appearing again are low, but I still want to see more of her.

I can't be the only one who figured out the Yatagarasu thing back in case 4, can I? The game kept mentioning "three legs," and as soon as Badd talked about the "three skills," I suspected that Faraday was on security and Badd was on evidence. Once again, Calisto was a surprise, but once she started gloating, it all became clear.

The epic final confrontation almost made up entirely for the Big Bad's "I am Gant without the coolness" attitude. He might not have been as fun a villain as Gant, Dahlia, or Engarde, but he put up a great fight. If somehow we could have gotten that fight from Calisto instead, and left him as the secondary villain... but, still, pretty cool either way, and a neat breakdown animation.

Favorite moment (besides the Calisto reveal) was hearing the forensics guy say that he had evidence to present, pausing the game, and thinking, "I know where this is going... and I've got him now." The Samurai Dogs business felt a little contrived, though, especially with that convenient spot of blood. I couldn't get it to fall that precisely if I had an eyedropper!

The reservoir trick was cool; the air-transport was kind of tired, but the crossbow was wonderful. "Point to the object? What obje - AHA!"

For the first time in the game, I got a Game Over in this chapter, thanks to playing when tired, getting sloppy, not knowing which of the many pieces of evidence hadn't been 'fully examined' yet... and, finally, picking the wrong statue for transport in the photo scene. That took me down to a sliver of Truth... and then that stupid car photo with the POCKET?! There's a flag on the car, and Edgeworth wants to point to the POCKET? I pointed to the reflection, thinking it might be the flower seal, and lost. So much for my von Karma perfection self-challenge.

Lolwut?

Spoiler time.

Just beat the game a short bit ago, but I think I can safely say that Shih-Na was the biggest moment of satisfaction for me. After examining the fireplace and hearing about bilateral symmetry, I was wondering... as I started comparing her and Calisto's portraits. Then the first phwwwh laugh. Epic.

...I still wonder how on earth that thin bit of wire could hold two good-sized gold statues, or how the ceiling fans could manage the weight and strain. Hmmm...

End bad person--it was fun, but similar to hauling a pile of bricks... slow and not particularly exciting. It had its moments, especially with that forensics guy. Watching Treebeard evolve was sweet, nevertheless.
Too lazy... hur hur.

Consider this puzzle solved.

This was easily the longest case in the whole series. It just went on forever. Quercus testified 6 times didn't he? 6 TIMES!!!
The hair sticks/ plant supports being crossbow arrows was pulled out of thin air. Can anybody truthfully say they got that right the first time?
I was extremely surprised that Shih-Na was Calisto Yew, but it bothers me not knowing her real name.
Also, am I the only one who thought that Quercus's breakdown was far too short and anticlimactic?
Say, that reminds me of a puzzle! Have you ever heard this one, Luke?

Prosecutor

Quote:
The hair sticks/ plant supports being crossbow arrows was pulled out of thin air. Can anybody truthfully say they got that right the first time?

I did! Immediately! As in, under ten seconds between question and answer. I guess you have to think like an adventure game player? The sticks really did look like crossbow bolts to me.

Quercus's breakdown was short, but spontaneous aging is one of the best ones we've seen. It probably should have lasted longer, though.

FerdieLance wrote:
Quote:

I did! Immediately! The little semicircular fletchings jumped out at me from the start, so as soon as they asked me to "point to the object in the room," there was a Eureka moment, and the case fell into place. I thought it was one of the cleverest puzzles in the game.

Quercus's breakdown was short, but spontaneous aging is one of the best ones we've seen. It probably should have lasted longer, though.

...Well, excuse me for not knowing what a crossbow arrow looks like. :sadshoe:

Don't eat the evidence!

Mask*DeMasque wrote:
FerdieLance wrote:
Quote:

I did! Immediately! The little semicircular fletchings jumped out at me from the start, so as soon as they asked me to "point to the object in the room," there was a Eureka moment, and the case fell into place. I thought it was one of the cleverest puzzles in the game.

Like I mentioned before, it took me forever to get that. I thought the sticks looked like the stem portions of the flower symbol and kept thinking it was related to the "guitar pick". I didn't get it until I finally started pointing at random things in the room.
Awesome signature and avatar done by bibliomaniac!

Beaten the game yesterday. I had 3 sleepless nights because of this game because my mind kept on wandering to the last case I've played. Always beat a case before going to bed. :P

It was a LONG case. Part of me thought it was over when I found out Shih-na's "true identity". Part of me didn't, because some of the evidence I had was still not used. I actually thought Shih-na was Calisto Yew before the reveal. I was comparing the pictures in the Profiles, and I could see that their lips were similar and even the shape of the face. I didn't thought about the mini-sprites. I was also shocked to see Lang took the bullet for Shih-na. Wow... he really trusts everyone in his "family".

lol Lotta Hart cameo. Though you could "talk" to her, she did took that Yatagarasu picture. And hooray for Missile. He even ate the Samurai Dogs. I was so annoyed and shocked to see both Larry and Wendy Oldbag. Who saw that coming? Oldbag is always seen in a costume. XD She even said that that, too. Larry being like Santa Claus. Undershirt in the chimney? Geez, that part of the case was crazy!

I thought Palaeno was a tad bit suspicious, but that suspicion cleared when I found out who the actual bad guy was. That final confrontation was SO tedious. He kept laughing whenever Edgeworth pointed something out. And all the Hold Its and even the Forensics dude. I did thought he hasn't reported everything because all he said that it was blood. Oh, and I was not used to being in an embassy with people who are foreign. All the names were tough to pronounce. Actually, the whole game was like that. And I was pretty confused with the 2 embassies, but got the hang of it at the middle.

Oh, and I actually got the hair sticks part. It has dirt on it, so I assumed it was associated with the passionflowers. Though, got stuck with what to choose for how they made the rotating thing. I don't see how the fans could help. Plus, the whole transporting by rotary movement was confusing.

But yeah, it was a relief when I finally beat the game. I'm happy that I actually played the whole game without any help. The other games, I just followed a guide. It's really satisfying to beat this game with your own logic, though I was stuck at a few parts. I lol'd at the end picture. XD I forgot that each game, there is a picture at the end. Hehe.
Proud shipper of FeeniexIris, ApolloxEma.

DecisiveYoshi wrote:
Mask*DeMasque wrote:
FerdieLance wrote:

Like I mentioned before, it took me forever to get that. I thought the sticks looked like the stem portions of the flower symbol and kept thinking it was related to the "guitar pick". I didn't get it until I finally started pointing at random things in the room.
The same goes for me; I noticed that the "pick" looked like the flower symbol, and I didn't get it right until I presented random things.

...Wait. Is "cleverest" even a word? :yuusaku:

The hope that shines through despair.

OH GOD THEY PLAYED PHOENIX DRIVE. THEY KNOW.

Prosecutor

It's a word.

If it makes you feel any better, I lost a lot of Truth on the "evidence we haven't examined closely yet."

Me: "HMM, BIG HOLLOW STATUE? NAAAAAH. Let's present the documents! We haven't examined that closely yet! Huh? Okay, let's look at this untranslated card! What? Not that? HUH! Let's present the other statue - we haven't even touched it! Ouch! Okay, huh. What on earth is going on here? Durrrrrr-hurr-hurr... let's present everything but the BIG HOLLOW STATUE."

In my defense, the moment Lang accused Franziska, I thought, "YOU ARE A GENIUS, LANG." So clearly, I was ahead of the game everywhere except where the answers should have been obvious.

FerdieLance wrote:
It's a word.

If it makes you feel any better, I lost a lot of Truth on the "evidence we haven't examined closely yet."

Me: "HMM, BIG HOLLOW STATUE? NAAAAAH. Let's present the documents! We haven't examined that closely yet! Huh? Okay, let's look at this untranslated card! What? Not that? HUH! Let's present the other statue - we haven't even touched it! Ouch! Okay, huh. What on earth is going on here? Durrrrrr-hurr-hurr... let's present everything but the BIG HOLLOW STATUE."

In my defense, the moment Lang accused Franziska, I thought, "YOU ARE A GENIUS, LANG." So clearly, I was ahead of the game everywhere except where the answers should have been obvious.

Strangely, It's exactly the same for me. I lost a LOT of Truth on the "evidence we haven't examined closely yet", and suspected Lang of accusing Franziska just so he could investigate as soon as he did it.

OTTF?

T3h_Waffleman wrote:

Haha.. what was the reference? I don't know how I missed it.

hai

I finished yesterday and this case was very LONG! I think it was longer than Gant's case. But I absolutely loved the whole game, and of course, the ending.

*SPOILERS BEGIN HERE*
The whole Yatagarasu was all three of them, the thought crossed my mind but I didn't think it was possible. I just thought that there was a good Yatagarasu and an evil one lol, how far was I from the truth. Wait, not that far, since Calisto WAS evil, but Badd didn't even cross my mind.

Alba's music was just win, it really fits his whole "I'm above the law" personality, and I seriously thought I was never going to get this guy. I was so angry at this guy the whole time, that when the truth finally came out I was overjoyed lol (this game, along with the other AA games, do that to me).

When Shifu left, I said to myself "this guy is going to take away Alba's power", and so he did lol. I don't know why, but whenever I see a character and I say "this guy did it", it always turns out right. When I first saw Gant, I said that he was the murderer, even though he had a cheery attitude, dunno why I think I'm good at spotting criminals at first sight lol. I accused Calisto, Amano's son, Cammy (for some reason, big boobs are always guilty lmao) and Alba I accused him too lol.
*SPOILERS END HERE

All in all, this was an excellent game. I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of it, the music was awesome, and since the beginning the story gets more and more exciting. And, as always, I love how the AA games integrate action, drama, comedy, suspense and any other type of genre, including scary (Proto Badger lol).

Hula_Maggey wrote:
T3h_Waffleman wrote:

Haha.. what was the reference? I don't know how I missed it.

Why, the simple fact of Oldbag being the Pink Princess, of course.

The Small and Fluffy One

I got the crossbow bolts and the unexamined evidence right on my first try, but I flailed like mad trying to come up with the contradiction in Shi-Long Lang's testimony as to how Franziska had to have done it. I mean, even though they kept saying "Something else had been smuggled over!" and "Someone else went between the two countries!" all I could think of was "Well, Miles bloody Edgeworth has been traipsing around all the countries! Does no one care about that?" I know it didn't make sense with him traveling between them before the stage show, but my mind was stuck... So when he asked "what" has been smuggled, I kept trying to show him random things. The two statues thing didn't even cross my mind for awhile... :adrian-crunch:
Colias Palaeno was my one true side-character love. I kept thinking "He's gonna be guilty...but he can't, because I love him!" all throughout the case, and as it went on, I thought his innocence just kept getting more and more apparent. I loved his hair...and his seemingly random times he started sweating, plus his overwhelming lack of knowledge on how to do his jobs. Though I was slightly miffed that, during everyone's confrontation with Alba, all Palaeno does is stop him at the beginning and then, once, comment about how he can't do anything. He's the one closest tied to Alba, yet he says absolutely nothing throughout the interrogation...
Yet it seems that Larry interrupts every two seconds and Lang keeps cutting in. This is while he's still got a freaking bullet in his leg. I demand justification for running around whilst having a decent-sized chunk of metal embedded in something that one might just need to run....and not saying word one about it, at all. I forgot he even got shot a couple minutes after the screenshot of it, and only passingly remembered at the end "Oh, right, he got shot, didn't he?"
...Long rant is long. :larry:
Yesterday, you'd forgiven me. But it'll still be two days 'till I say I'm sorry.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Heh, finally finished this long case. :think:

Honestly, this is the first case that has been too long for my patience. There like 50 times where Edgeworth came close to winning, and even more where he came close to losing...

The whole Allebhast/Babhal thing was really a nice touch. I love how pretty much everything about those two countries was balanced out. Babhal may not have had the real statue, but of course that's why the Allebhastian ambassador was the bad guy.

I had been spoiled before about Shih-na. It was my own fault and I'm not mad over it. In fact, I wasn't even surprised when I had been spoiled a few months ago. I just knew that Shih-na was hiding a penis her true identity. The fact that she was really Calisto Yew (whose voice DOES sound rather masculine), only confirmed that Lady Gaga was in Capcom's mind when Shih-na was conceived.

Shi-Long Lang was amazingly awesome in this case, his testimonies weren't as hard as before and the way he uses swear words a lot is another cool thing about this badass dude. He even takes a bullet in his leg and is perfectly fine.

But if you want a real badass, it was Tyrell Badd. Who knew he was a part of the Yatagarasu? I sort of saw it coming but it still came as a shock. Imagine, wouldn't it be cool if Phoenix, Edgey, and Gumshoe did something like that? Or Apollo, Klavier, Ema? We need fanfics of this! Yatagarasu may be an incredibly awkward thing to say in english, but I now see the awesome epicness behind it all!too bad shih-na ruined it all

Kay was another great thing in this case. Nice to know that everything turned out alright for her in the end.

Colias was...weird. I think he's a pretty good guy helping out a lot and stuff, but I honestly thought he was the killer. He just seems too happy to not be hiding something. Oh well, I was wrong. Still, it was nice to see him as the new ambassador of Cohdopia.

Larry and Oldbag were fun cameos. Though I still can't get the nightmares about Oldbag's undershirt out of my mind. I also think that Larry's sprites don't really work in this game...especially his thumbs-up, Larry was just made to be facing forward...

I get chills looking at Quercus. He says some quote gold, but he still creeps me out. His damage sprite scares me and I know I'm gonna get nightmares of him staring at me with that smile of his. His final breakdown was the scariest part though. It's like the climax of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade where that guy drinks the wrong Holy Grail and dies by turning old. Same thing happened here. Sorta. I wasn't expecting an Objection clip from him, seeing as he's not a lawyer and all. It still works though. EVEN IF IT'S FUCKING CREEPY AS HELL. It's pure Nightmare fuel is what it is.

That said, I like this case a lot. I also like how they elaborated on the smuggling thing way more than Case 2 did. Not only that, but lots of things were cleared up. But I wonder, was Babhalese ink the whole basis of the smuggling ring? You have to assume that other stuff was smuggled. Perhaps Edgeworth was wrong in that the smuggling ring will not end soon. Perhaps Borginian cocoons were among the many illegal exports of the ring. It's creepy thinking Daryan may've been a part of something like this...

For some reason, even though everything was wrapped up nicely, I get this nagging feeling that there's still oh so much unexplained, but it makes my head hurt trying to think about it...
Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

Just another fangirl...

Location: A land of fires, mudslides, and the occasional earthquake

I beat the game at about 6:30 this morning (after working on the final case ALL BLOODY NIGHT!), and am I the only one that spazzed when you had to make the decision whether to use the trump card or not? The whole leadup to that selection reeked of ethical crisis with all this talk about truth and justice and kinda reminded me of Phoenix's dilemma in 2-4 about Matt going free to save Maya.

In the end, did your selection actually matter or affect the outcome? I went with the don't use the trump card, and proceeded to get dogpiled by pretty much everybody else to use the damn thing.
"Violence is the last resort of the intelligent, and the first resort of the incompetant." -FFA

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Ah yes, the trump card. To me it didn't seem as impactful as it should've been. Maybe they should've offered the choice more closer to the end. Instead of putting 5 testimonies after... :nick:
Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

~*Deux Ames Un Coeur*~

I used the card...and then the case just kept going. XD For-freaking-ever. I played the case for, like, 11 straight hours. @_@

But I can't have been the only one to go "HELL YES!" when Lang called Quercus a Bastard. :D Also, Edgeworth's "OBJECTION!! Go away!" had me going LAWL for a good while. I don't know why that magazine (which one was it...?) said there wasn't as much humor in this game compared to the others. I thought it had plenty. Quite an enjoyable play, and it feels good to finally be done after waiting to get the game for...too long. XD

Don't eat the evidence!

Firefury Amahira wrote:
In the end, did your selection actually matter or affect the outcome? I went with the don't use the trump card, and proceeded to get dogpiled by pretty much everybody else to use the damn thing.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it didn't make any difference since Edgeworth get's pep-talked into presenting it if you say no.
Awesome signature and avatar done by bibliomaniac!

Prosecutor

I was hoping for a final puzzle where Edgeworth has a choice:

* Use the card.
* Use the video.
* Something else.

And because he's Miles Edgeworth, he rejects the stolen evidence and beats Alba legally. Alternatively, he gets Colias Palaeno, who isn't bound by American evidence law when he's on his own soil, to use the evidence. There didn't seem to be any repercussions at all for using the items, not even of the hypothetical kind. They could have at least had Alba threaten to take him down on illegal evidence charges if he pushes any harder.

... I tried "don't use the trump card" at first, on the grounds that I wanted to try the old "present a profile" trick. The profile, of course, would be the one of a person with the power to demand an investigation, or even an extradition: Colias Palaeno. There were still other options available to Edgeworth, I felt, at that point.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

FerdieLance wrote:
... I tried "don't use the trump card" at first, on the grounds that I wanted to try the old "present a profile" trick. The profile, of course, would be the one of a person with the power to demand an investigation, or even an extradition: Colias Palaeno. There were still other options available to Edgeworth, I felt, at that point.

I like this idea. It did feel a little fishy to me that they sent up the case to say that what Yatagarasu was doing was wrong, but ultimately sort of resorted to those methods anyway. Not that the evidence shouldn't have been presented in the first place anyway--it was legitimate. Tossing it to Palaeno would have been a nice touch, though at the same time that might have robbed Edgeworth of a bit of his protagonist ego. :edgeworth:

...I want a Palaeno smilie.
ImageImage

The Small and Fluffy One

Croik wrote:

Seconded like whoa.

I chose "Don't use the card", especially since Edgeworth and Badd made a big deal over the whole "The law has limits/no limits" debate. It seemed genuinely like you had to win without the trump card...then when everyone started yelling that I had to use it, I felt a little like they wasted a perfectly good plotline. Tossing it to Palaeno would've been interesting, but since Palaeno wasn't wholly up to speed on the whole Yatagarasu deal (I think he was still in Babahl when they were discussing all that, yes?), he probably wouldn't have understood the significance of the black card anyway. I felt like maybe Lang should've done something--as an Interpol agent, he has authority in countries other than America, so he might've cited some sort of Zheng Fa law or Lang Zi proverb to the effect of "It's not illegal to use evidence that is legitimate"...or something.
Yesterday, you'd forgiven me. But it'll still be two days 'till I say I'm sorry.

Croik wrote:
FerdieLance wrote:

I like this idea. It did feel a little fishy to me that they sent up the case to say that what Yatagarasu was doing was wrong, but ultimately sort of resorted to those methods anyway. Not that the evidence shouldn't have been presented in the first place anyway--it was legitimate. Tossing it to Palaeno would have been a nice touch, though at the same time that might have robbed Edgeworth of a bit of his protagonist ego. :edgeworth:

Oh, do you like him? I couldn't tell. Should the smilie be squirming like in your avatar?

Humph.

And I thought I was fast because I beat a case per day. I'm not. Anyway, just got to Middle, Part One, I miss the obvious and I failed the von Karma challenge in this case.
Ace Attorney MIDI rips!

Please visit my forum!

Engaged to P!ATD.
Bought an apartment at the Otaku.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

T3h_Waffleman wrote:
Oh, do you like him? I couldn't tell. Should the smilie be squirming like in your avatar?

I love this pose of his, it's so sad it doesn't seem to show up in the game at all.
ImageImage

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Croik wrote:
T3h_Waffleman wrote:

I love this pose of his, it's so sad it doesn't seem to show up in the game at all.

Oh. I kept trying to see if he would do that throughout the case.

Thanks for crushing my dreams.

Croik wrote:
T3h_Waffleman wrote:

Yeah, I really didn't notice it.

OBJECTION! Go away!

Laughed hard. This case probably had more humor interspersed throughout to break up the seriousness than any other final case.

Speaking of, I loved presenting evidence Palaeno knew nothing about to him only to have him respond with his dead serious face, then jumping straight to HAVE SOME COUPONS YAY~

Like others have said, I thought it was kind of weird how Badd (I don't think I'll ever get used to that name, 'Tyrell Badd' sounds more like a rapper than a grizzled detective) made a big deal out of how the syndicate's directive card and KG-8 video were illegal evidence, yet you weren't punished in any way for using it.

I didn't honestly see the Shiina-Calisto thing until she revealed herself, but when Edgeworth first began interrogating her, I sort of thought to myself "Hey, watch her turn out to be Calisto or something, haha" and then it turned out to be true so yeah.

I did see Alba being the ringleader at that time, though; there were still too many unanswered questions by the time you cross-examined Shiina, and if she wasn't the final villian, it had to be either Alba or Palaeno, and my gut said Alba. What I didn't expect was his transformation into Gant 2.0 - I thought I'd actually get to break down a feeble old man. Oh well.

Breaking him did take a long time, but at least by the end it felt like I'd earned my victory. Unlike that BS ending in 4-4.

I'm kind of sad that Cornered was never used. I know Phoenix wasn't in the game at all, but Cornered and Suspense were the only two tunes used in every game until now. Now it's just Suspense.

Speaking of which, Larry's dialogue at the end was kind of retarded. "The guy in the blue suit"? God, just call him Nick already. I know alluding to Phoenix without actually naming him was sort of a trend in the game, but come on, would Larry really refer to him that way?

Still a good final case. Not as good as 2-4 or 3-5 imo, but it's close.

-edit- Carnage Onred? Sure glad Capcom decided to change that name for the English version, there's no way you can see a guy named CARNAGE and not think he's a villian.

I wanna study YOUR beauty

DUDE. The part with Tyrell, Shi-Long, Shih-na, OMGOMGOMGBADASS. I squealed like "woa".

Also Alba kicks ass. And Colias is adorable as shit. My bf nicknamed him "the sun god" because he really looks like a sun god. o.o And he also calls Alba "Ambassador Tree" XD and our other nickname was Detective Baddass for Tyrell, although sometimes I call him "Tyrell Snake" because he kinda looks like Solid Snake. XD

As for the case as a whole I would have completed it faster if I wasn't playing while I was high. Hmm. Perhaps more strategic consumption of drugs would be most beneficial to me. Because of that, I ended up fucking up so many things because I was late into the case XD earlier the note coming from that notepad in the desk had me stuck for HALF A DAY.

Powers and Kyouya fangirl #69

First thing with this case starting?

Me: COME ON, LET EDGEWORTH ACTUALLY REST- bah it's only 10am D:

Longest day EVAH for our boy, I had to laugh at the energy comments from Kay because I was not surprised at all that he was still drained. Then freaked myself out because self you are using Yew's laughing pose IRL, wut.

I also fell even more in love with Lang somehow when he got shot and just ignored it. He really grew on me throughout the game, and that was a shining moment for me. I also didn't see the twist until she started laughing, then preceded to freak out for a few minutes. I mean I was expecting Yew to show back up, but not in that way!
Why yes, my fandom does has eight year olds who support BDSM

I wanna study YOUR beauty

RenaDeles wrote:
using Yew's laughing pose IRL

I did that a few times. It was creepy. My bf even told me that I looked like her when I laughed.

Idol of Polar Bears

I was not expecting Quercus to be the ring leader, especially since I was confused about his identity being Carnage Onred (I didn't check anything related to AAI outside of press-released material but I heard that name circulating in various forums) but that was a pretty big "WTF" moment. Every time his theme song played, I seriously thought the confrontation would end but everyone appearing in the end to offer assistance (from Lang to Oldbag) escalated the situation from "personal" to "epic"; that, combined with his own "Objection!" voice, really accentuated his character, propelling his status from "This Guy Is A Villain" to "HOLY SHIT This Guy Is A Villain". It takes a while to sink in, but understanding just how much authority this guy wielded and how nightmarishly huge and powerful his organization was is absolutely mind blowing. Seriously, though not nearly as cool he totally walks all over Gant and White in terms of power. Despite all of this, his confrontation was relatively easy compared to past villains save one part where if you press any statement he dings you for two segments of health.

In conclusion, the case had a satisfactory end. Bring on the sequel!

ALL GLORY TO... SOMETHING

First, let me say that Alba oozes authority from every fibre of his being. His appearance, his dialogue and his theme song. The cliched "you are but insects to me" personality works with him, mostly because he used a different phrase: "This is but a game to me". His big reveal didn't have much impact, especially compared to Matt's, but his "evil" form? Much better. Also, he has a lot of symbolism. He is as strong and unmovable as a tree, and his breakdown represents how he's lost all his power. Also, has anyone noticed how his name is a pun on Albequerque?

And while the only weapon people have against you in AA is asking for proof (as well as false proof, but Alba has none of that) let me say that Alba is very good at it. He's the first main villain who can be called the final boss (Wait, I think that's more symbolism). The only thing I'm left wanting at the end... is Shih-na's birth certificate! WHAT IS YOUR NAME, DAMMIT!?!

Also, while I have been waiting for someone to catch Franziska's whip for EVER, Shi-Long's doing so didn't have as much impact on me because Badd(ass) dodged it earlier.

LittleGreenBudgie wrote:
I felt like maybe Lang should've done something--as an Interpol agent, he has authority in countries other than America, so he might've cited some sort of Zheng Fa law or Lang Zi proverb to the effect of "It's not illegal to use evidence that is legitimate"...or something.

How about "Lang Zi says: "The only evidence deserving of disposal is forged evidence"!"? ...Nah, it's lacking a wolf metaphor.

1000% Knight

Well, it's about time I wrote this. Time for my thoughts on case 5, and the game! (Warning: Spoilers galore!)

All in all, a great game. Both this case and case 4 were fantastic. I'm not sure how my hierarchy of favorite AA games will be now... (Before it was AA>T&T>>AJ>>>>>>JFA) It's definitely a top 3... I don't like it more than AA, but I'm not sure how it fits in. Anyway, they really showed how this investigative gameplay can shine. Case 4 wouldn't work in a GS setting, as the perfume would dissipate by then. Case 5 wouldn't either, as one of the big points was extraterritoriality, and Quercus being "one who cannot be brought to court." On the downside, in GS you are trying to prove someone innocent and save that person, while in GK you just solve the mystery. In GS, I get to know (and hopefully love) the defendant, and really want to set them free; would really bother me that much if Rhoda or Lauren, or even Maggey went to court? I mean, they aren't even going to jail in GK. And for most of case 5, someone isn't being accused; if you fail, Quercus just gets away with it. Oh well. I still love GK, for all the tricks and logic it uses... Case 5 had so many tricks going on at once! Case 3 also had quite a few. Every case in GK had some sort of 'trick' the killer used... in GS, we've pretty much gotten a max of 1 per case, if that, with the most complex being 4-3... which isn't really too complex. (It has lots of detail, but it's not very complex.) I also loved how case 5 went on and on and on. We had to decide to use the card and tape, which seemed like it would be the giant deciding moment/final present (like the trap in 1-5, or "My client, Matt Engarde is...") but then the case kepts going on. And on. And on and on and on and on and on. ...I'll move on to something else. Characters!

Quercus: I was already talking about him :P It was great having a villain who just didn't quit. It really drew out the confrontation and deduction. I didn't think his theme was too great, but it was fitting.

Colias: I really liked him. He was just so awesome and funny! He reallycared about his country. I just love characters who don't open their eyes :3 I know they can be the shifty antagonists who pose as protagonists, but I just knew he wouldn't be the killer. I just wish they hadn't used his serious sprite so much... or at least waited a little bit longer to use it, and then made a slightly bigger deal of it than they did. Ah well.

Shih-na: As soon as Gummy said he saw her come out of the room, I figured out the whole trick behind framing Kay, and that she was Calisto. They should've put her age as 28 or 30, instead of ??. I liked how they used her exact lines that they did in case 4. That whole climax of the confrontation was tense, and crazy... The only thing I didn't like was that we never found out her real name.

Badd: Hm, I liked him better in case 4 than in this case. He kinda fell off the face of the earth halfway through this case... It was pretty dramatic when he showed up and stopped Shih-na, though. I was shocked that Yatagarasu was the three of them. The entire time, I was thinking "The Yatagarasu has three legs... because in mythology, the yatagarasu has three legs! :D" I'm glad I didn't figure it out sooner. Otherwise, the whole "fake Yatagarasu" thing would've been ruined, and the picsof Calisto/Byrne/Badd were awesome.

Manny: He deserved to die. He was a horrible person. I also hate his name; now, when I refer to :karma: as Manny, especially in the AAI subforum, ppl might think I mean him. And he was so ugly, and he was only 24! ...I know, 31 in this case, but 24 in case 4, and his profile pic wasn't different.

DeMasque II: Bleh, he got what he deserved for coyping Ron! He was also really ugly. IMO, he and Manny are the two ugliest AA characters.

Lang: Pretty awesome in this case. The birthday present was kinda cheesy, but it did really convey a lot about his character. I really started to like him in the end, especially when he took a bullet for Shih-na, even when he accused Franzy. I think the best part is that he's really constant and the same person in case 3 and 5, but still really grew on me and was awesome.

Wendy: I actually liked her this time around! It was great having her not have a "I saw him do it! ...So what ifhe was wearing a costume?" testimony, and she really saved the day! I mean, it's her reason we found the revolving fireplace, and got the Samurai Dogs. Also, Missile's cameo just put a gigantic smile on my face :3

Larry: Oh, Larry. I think I liked her interaction with Edgey here and in 3-5 than his interaction with Phoenix the other times. Edgey is just so harsh on Larry! Also, Larry tries to show up Edgey... even though that means Larry will be arrested xD Suddenly appearing from the pool was crazy and unexpected (And I liked Edgey's "And once in a blue moon..." line afterwards), and randomly appearing at the end as the Steel Samurai and Pink Princess was an epic win. It was great having everyone come in and contribute; it really showed how many people were on your side and trying to get Quercus convicted. (Which shows how powerful Quercus was, as he could avoid it despite all these people trying.)

Franzy/Gummy: I didn't think they were showcased too much in this case. (Franzy was obsessed over being Edgey's superior. That was it.) But they did get a lot of parts in case 4. I don't think we really got too much new characterization for them, but it was definitely consistent with what we saw in the other games. Also, Gummy's interaction with Kay was so cute in case 4!

Kay: Prolly my favorite assistant so far :3 Her theme is just amazing.

Edgey: It was definitely fun playing as him. Gummy's and Kay's silly personalities definitely made up for Edgey's seriousness. His new Logic system was also fun and interesting.

I thought the music over the entire game was pretty good, although I didn't think too many pieces were that great. I found a lot of the investigation/court themes sounded pretty similar, or at least had similar feels. Kay's Theme was amazing, as was Blue Badger March. Also, honorable mentions to Announce the Truth for the scene in case 4 where Kay cries.

...All right, I've spent enough time typing this. Maybe I'll post opinions on other stuff later...
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Last edited by Bad Player on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ah, so I'm not the only one who thought having to use the trump card was dumb. "The law has no limits"? Nonsense. Edgey could have easily proved (the killer)'s (I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't finished yet) guilt without the card or the tape.

1000% Knight

Mask*DeMasque wrote:
Ah, so I'm not the only one who thought having to use the trump card was dumb. "The law has no limits"? Nonsense. Edgey could have easily proved (the killer)'s (I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't finished yet) guilt without the card or the tape.

Well, it was proof that the victim wasn't the head of the smuggling ring...
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Bad Player wrote:
Mask*DeMasque wrote:

Well, it was proof that the victim wasn't the head of the smuggling ring...

Yes, but what I'm saying is that he didn't need the "trump cards" to prove (the killer)'s guilt. I think someone already said this, but he could have called Palaeno as a witness.

Mr. Biomyle

holy Mack Rell!
What an ab-SO-lutely :bellboy: sexy case! Shih-na is sexy :tennis:

PsychoDahlia?!

I really found this case disappointing. Especially when they brought back Calisto. They should have kept Shih-Na's identity a mystery until the sequel, unless they were going to make her the final boss. IMO, she would have been way more awesome than YET ANOTHER old man final boss. His final confrontation was the worst bit about the case. I was actually really bored that whole time, and I just wanted the whole thing to end. It dragged on FOREVER! Man, if Case 4 was the final case then AAI would be my favourite game.
:( Grrrrrr...
Thanks C.Gholy for my earth-shattering wallpaper, and .•°٭blinq٭°•. for this amazingly wonderful signature!
Page 4 of 7 [ 271 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby