Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby

Page 3 of 7[ 271 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Re: Case 5 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Rain Faraday wrote:
One has an amazing personality. The other one is more bland but it's as if he evolves like a pokemon which was nice.

Hahaha, that's a nice way of putting it. When he"evolved" from his hunched over old man look my first thought was, "WHOA HE'S TRANSFORMING INTO A MECHA!!" But that was short lived excitement.

As far as his personality, I thought it was a little bland: very typical "I'm so powerful no one can touch me, you are all like the buzzing of flies~" blah blah so evil etc. He was very stubborn and wouldn't give anyone an inch, making shit up on the fly very easily. You could see how he rose to his position but it didn't make him unique or memorable. I think the best thing about him was his nose.
ImageImage

Like a Pokemon, huh?

Hmm. Intriguing.

Badass attorney

Yeah, he does have an amazing nose. Luke Atmey's relative? I don't think there are any pics of him in the thread so here are some:

Spoiler: The so called final boss of GK

And yeah, confrontation with him takes forever. It was as if he laughed at Edgeworth's face (poor Edgey has had a lot of laughing at his face recently) each time he found out something.
All Ace Attorney series breakdowns in order of appearance.
WARNING: This includes Gyakuten Kenji towards the end of the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x38Jxeyp-k

Shake it up, baby, now, TWIST AND SHOUT!

My Pinocchio, how you've aged!

Badass attorney

Lol, he even has a tree in his office that looks like him. A lot.

To change the subject a bit, someone said in another thread that Edgeworth didn't seem concerned that Franziska was in trouble. Is it because the accusations are not serious (as in no arrest/trial) or is it because he genuinely doesn't care about her? Or maybe he thinks she's guilty and deserves whatever she gets?

Thanks Kyn for the avi! :D

moonfall wrote:
To change the subject a bit, someone said in another thread that Edgeworth didn't seem concerned that Franziska was in trouble. Is it because the accusations are not serious (as in no arrest/trial) or is it because he genuinely doesn't care about her? Or maybe he thinks she's guilty and deserves whatever she gets?

I think it's because he knew the truth and knew it'd come out eventually, so he wasn't worried a bit.

That, and he just THAT badass.
Crouton in 3...2...1...

BOO! (Gah! scared myself)

Croik wrote:
Hahaha, that's a nice way of putting it. When he"evolved" from his hunched over old man look my first thought was, "WHOA HE'S TRANSFORMING INTO A MECHA!!" But that was short lived excitement.

Yeah that was pretty awesome. Then his losing animation. POWER DOWWWWWWWN.

Croik wrote:
As far as his personality, I thought it was a little bland: very typical "I'm so powerful no one can touch me, you are all like the buzzing of flies~" blah blah so evil etc. He was very stubborn and wouldn't give anyone an inch, making shit up on the fly very easily. You could see how he rose to his position but it didn't make him unique or memorable. I think the best thing about him was his nose.

So basically he was another Gant and Von Karma clone. You know they're supposed to be powerful and strong, but their characters are very predictable. Why does every "old" villain in games have to have a boring personality?

I DISAGREE. I find this old villain like Manfed and Gant but they (Gant and Manfred) were very very intelligent and I've never found them predictable and I've never found they had a boring personnality!! I think it's the same for Carnage!^^ I don't know I find him very interesting.

Anyway, I have to say that the transformation is very very very Pokemon-ish!!

BOO! (Gah! scared myself)

^Ah, well it was just my opinion. Anyway if you found Gant and Manfred interesting you'll definitely find something interesting about this guy. Who knows, maybe the localization team will make his dialogue different.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Stelman257 wrote:
^Ah, well it was just my opinion. Anyway if you found Gant and Manfred interesting you'll definitely find something interesting about this guy. Who knows, maybe the localization team will make his dialogue different.

I think they'd have to stray from the source material in order to make him interesting, lol. With Karma you had the personal connections to Edgeworth and the sheer insanity of "I raised a boy for 15 years just so I could ruin him" on his side, but Onred means nothing to Edgeworth.

Oh well. Anyway, I want to share a funny bit of dialogue from case 5 just because it amused me during my replay last night. This is when Edgeworth and Rou are poking around Arebast:

Quote:
Rou: So you're investigating over in Babaru too? A wolf that chases two rabbits...
Edgeworth: You mean, chase two rabbits and lose both?
Rou: A real wolf can catch both rabbits.
Edgeworth: ...So how does that apply to me investigating in both embassies?
Rou: ...Well. Good luck.

Rou's a big softie on the inside. I guess that's why I like him. I've been writing down his different sayings as I play--I'll post them up when I'm done.
ImageImage

Funny!^^

Do you have other like that??

Haileyvoir wrote:
But the words are english, therefor, if his name was kept the same in translation, it wouldn't as forign as it does in the Japanese version. But it probably wouldn't be german. He seems more like a "Western" European guy to me. You know, Spain and Portugal and-I have no idea where I'm going with this anymore. Whups.

I'm gonna take a guess and say "Karnej Onred" is what they'll change it to.

Do the impossible. See the invisible.

Demonic Defense wrote:
Haileyvoir wrote:
But the words are english, therefor, if his name was kept the same in translation, it wouldn't as forign as it does in the Japanese version. But it probably wouldn't be german. He seems more like a "Western" European guy to me. You know, Spain and Portugal and-I have no idea where I'm going with this anymore. Whups.

I'm gonna take a guess and say "Karnej Onred" is what they'll change it to.

What is he, Borat's uncle?

Jagshamesh!
"Rule #1 of Lawyer Stuff: If it's in the Court Record, it's gonna show up in the trial somewhere"
Credit to Tajiri Ami for the Phoenix sprite and Cup_of_Law for the Payne sprite in my signature.

Shake it up, baby, now, TWIST AND SHOUT!

Travolta3335 wrote:

What is he, Borat's uncle?

Jagshamesh!

This would have been so much better than 'Eureka!'

Wikia Ace Attorney Wiki admin

So I've been looking at titles for this case and now it's really bugging me. Back when the game was released, I noticed "Burning Turnabout" and "Turnabout Up In Flames" come up in wiki edits. I started to visit this forum more, and JapaneseGIRL and Bolt Storm referred to it as "Burning Turnabout". Later, Croik posted a case description for the case, calling it "Turnabout, Up In Flames". For a bit of humour, Google Translate calls it "Reverse Burning", Babelfish calls it "The reversal which burns up" and a Google translation of a Japanese webpage calls it "Blazing a reversal".

All this is fine, I suppose, because there are simply a lot of ways to describe something as burning in English. However, the "Turnabout, Up In Flames" translation in particular seems rather convoluted for a basic translation. So I've been wondering whether there was a particular reason to call it that rather than something simpler like "burning" or "blazing", because it even reverses the order of the words when the other translations didn't (though I'm pretty sure this is where the answer lies).

The cape is self-fluttering

I think they're just trying to avoid calling it "The Flaming Turnabout" to prevent adding to the fangirl fodder. XD
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Adrian in black wrote:
I think they're just trying to avoid calling it "The Flaming Turnabout" to prevent adding to the fangirl fodder. XD

The case would be more FAAAABULOUS than 2-3! :edgy:
"Rule #1 of Lawyer Stuff: If it's in the Court Record, it's gonna show up in the trial somewhere"
Credit to Tajiri Ami for the Phoenix sprite and Cup_of_Law for the Payne sprite in my signature.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

I chose that translation because it's "Moeagaru Gyakuten" not "Moeru Gyakuten," which means it's not just "burning," it's "burning up." "Burning Turnabout" sounds okay but "Burning Up Turnabout" is weird, so in the end I thought "up in flames" fit the feeling the best. Plus it's a final case so it can't hurt to sound a bit fancier. :edgy:
ImageImage

Croik wrote:
I chose that translation because it's "Moeagaru Gyakuten" not "Moeru Gyakuten," which means it's not just "burning," it's "burning up." "Burning Turnabout" sounds okay but "Burning Up Turnabout" is weird, so in the end I thought "up in flames" fit the feeling the best. Plus it's a final case so it can't hurt to sound a bit fancier. :edgy:

More like badass! :godot:

Badass attorney

The case is awesome regardless of name anyway.

Adrian in black wrote:

That doesn't explain not using "burning" or "blazing", though.

Croik wrote:

OK. That's what I wanted to know lol.

The cape is self-fluttering

capefeather wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:

That doesn't explain not using "burning" or "blazing", though.

Well, 'burning' or 'blazing' don't sound as gay. Then again, 'burning' might, if you thought about it long enough. XD
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

If you think about it long enough you go into fanboy territory.

Moving on up!

I just finished the case. Man those last confrontations took for-e-ver.

I can't wait to see the translations of all the Steel Samurai stuff. I could tell that Edgeworth was very upset that Larry was in the suit. Croik's case description confirms this.
Thanks to Blinq for the awesome sig. Click the sig, see my stuff.
Edgeworth/Maya Community. A friends, as lovers, as part of OT3s. All Welcome.
"Yeah, I wouldn't go asking random guys if you can lick their penor." crouton December 2009

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Lunaria42 wrote:

I can't wait to see the translations of all the Steel Samurai stuff. I could tell that Edgeworth was very upset that Larry was in the suit. Croik's case description confirms this.

Very upset! At one point he shouts, "I DO NOT ACCEPT YOU AS THE STEEL SAMURAI." I cracked up. :edgy:

Poor Edgy, he was so happy to get that autograph too...!
ImageImage

Moving on up!

Croik wrote:
Lunaria42 wrote:

Very upset! At one point he shouts, "I DO NOT ACCEPT YOU AS THE STEEL SAMURAI." I cracked up. :edgy:

Poor Edgy, he was so happy to get that autograph too...!

Poor Edgeworth, your fanboy is showing. I bet one of the bolder characters would have openly made fun of him for caring so much. Of course, everyone was upset to see Olbag in that Pink Princess costume. I loved Larry trying to find that doll/SS child. I could imagine Edgeworth think that Larry is the last person who should be a parent because he would do something like that with a real child.
Thanks to Blinq for the awesome sig. Click the sig, see my stuff.
Edgeworth/Maya Community. A friends, as lovers, as part of OT3s. All Welcome.
"Yeah, I wouldn't go asking random guys if you can lick their penor." crouton December 2009

osaka_dahlia wrote:
Croik wrote:
I'm not sure if part of Carnage's name is in reference to trees, but there is one in his office that looks suspiciously like him. There might be another pun in his name we haven't picked up on yet.

My theory:
カーネイジ・オンレッド → カーネーション・レッド → レッド・カーネーション→ Red Carnation
Figure it fits with the whole nature thing.

Umm... I found this while looking through JapaneseGIRL's wonderful scans.
Do I win something for guessing this?

彼の名前は、”カーネイジ=大虐殺”という英単語から来ていますが、
アレバスト王国の象徴が花なので、”カーネーション・レッド”(赤いカーネイション)という意味もあります。(山崎)

Even though his name comes from the English word "carnage",
because the symbol of the Kingdom of Arebasuto is a flower, his name also means "Carnation Red" (red carnation). (Yamazaki)

I guess the real pun behind is name is not "Carnage on red" at all...

I also found Ambassador Damian's name origin:

彼の名前は、某映画のせいで悪いイメージのある”ダミアン”と、
”蝶つがい”という意味の英単語”ヒンジ”から来ています。これはババル共和国の象徴が蝶だからです。(山崎)

His name comes from "Damian", which gives people a bad impression due to a certain movie,
and the English word "hinge" which means "choutsugai". The reason for this is because the symbol of the Republic of Babaru is a butterfly. (Yamazaki)

*note: the kanji for "choutsugai" contains the kanji for "butterfly" so it's a play on the kanji.

Japanese people speculate the "certain movie" is "The Omen".

Badass attorney

Interesting, thanks for telling us!

I guess Damian really gives some weird vibes, with all the rubbing of hands and all.

95% lurker

Thanks for the information. Always interesting to find out their name origins and the like. 8D

I thought there was something kind of creepy about Damian (both the name and his character), even though he isn't really involved (intentionally) in the crime, or the like. .____.; Perhaps that's what it was. I can't seem to disassociate him from the creepy vibe he gives off now... ack.

So I've been listening to the pursuit - lying coldly track from the game, and now all I can imagine is Edgeworth, Gumshoe, and Kay in one epic final RPG style final battle against the big boss.

I do feel bad though that Larry crushed Edgeworth's fanboy dreams. He'll probably never look at the steel samurai the same way again.

Silverpaw wrote:
Spoiler:
...ShiinaxKay fanservice? XD; *SHOT*
For a second I thought that dead guy was Will Powers... x_x It, um, isn't... right?

I thought it was too but...

Spoiler: Not exactly a spoiler but...
It happens to be Yagatasaru...I would think

Watch me as I gravitate...ahahaha

In The Middle of It Now

Spoiler: Yagatasaru's Identity
Yagatasaru was a 3 person group, not a man.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Spoiler:
I think he's actually talking about Manny...? He has the wild Will Powers hair

ImageImage

Ooh, a real drumroll. Nice.

I just finished playing the English version and I noticed all the references ambasador Alba made to a game. He then said it's game over and you can't play the same game again. anyone checked to see if their ds blew up?

Don't eat the evidence!

Awesome case. Confronting Alba got a bit tiresome after awhile though with the way he dragged on with EVERY. LITTLE. THING. Although the "POWER DOWN!" breakdown of his was pretty sweet after the hell he put me through until the bitter end.

Am I the only one that was stuck forever on the hair sticks/plant sticks being used as crossbow arrows? Seriously, Edgeworth is just like "combine it with this and it makes the entire picture!" and I kept trying to point at the flower on the wall. I kept thinking back to the "guitar pick" as looking a lot like the petals and then noticed that the hair sticks looked kinda like the stem parts of the image. Finally I just started pointing at random things and was "wtf"ing when I was supposed to point at the crossbow. Yargh!

Other than that, the case was pretty awesome. It was incredibly satisfying to take down Yew/Shih-na and the first part where she finally breaks out into laughter was amazing. I didn't really expect the whole "Shih-na is Calisto" deal, I just figured that Shih-na was the real villain or was just in cahoots with someone, so when she burst out into that all too familiar laughter I was just like "OMG IT'S HER!". Too great. Honestly, Calisto is one of my favorite villains in the series even if she's technically just a lackie. Besides, she has the most awesome theme ever.

The whole deal with the Yatagarasu was fun too. I wasn't expecting the "he's actually a 3-man team" thing, although when it was revealed it made a whole lot more sense. It's just too bad that Calisto was a double-crosser from the start.

Also, poor Edgey... he had to be saved by Larry and OLDBAG. How humiliating.

(On an off topic note, I expect an awesome Calisto laugh smilie 8D)
Awesome signature and avatar done by bibliomaniac!

Badass attorney

I didn't see Shiina coming either, though the Yatagarasu part I already had the feeling it wasn't a single person, because the identity seemed to bounce all around too conveniently.

OTTF?

Oh my gosh, I just finished the game, and I'm so happy I didn't spoil anything for myself ahead of time. Everything was a huge surprise to me. When Shih-na did the "pwwh" laugh for the first time, I almost dropped my DS. Who saw that coming? And that wasn't even the climax, yet! I ended up staying awake playing until two-thirty in the morning because it kept feeling like I was so close to figuring everything out that it must be close to the end. Nope. Awesome, twisty case. (I spent most of the first half assuming that Palaeno was going to be the big bad, thanks to all the nervous hand-wringing. I'm glad he turned out okay, because I think I'm in love with him. What a cutie. )

The three-man Yatagarasu made sense immediately, even though I didn't fully see it coming. I'd been hoping Badd was at least in on it in some way. I nominate Franziska and Ema for legs 2 and 3 of the new teenage-beauties-only Yatagarasu II. Sorry, Maya.

Don't eat the evidence!

I didn't notice this until after playing through the game but if you compare Shih-na and Calisto's sprites you can kinda tell that they are the same person. Take a look at both of their "looking up" sprites and you can tell that the face is pretty much identical. A much more subtle hint of Shih-na's true identity before the big reveal.
Awesome signature and avatar done by bibliomaniac!

OTTF?

DecisiveYoshi wrote:
I didn't notice this until after playing through the game but if you compare Shih-na and Calisto's sprites you can kinda tell that they are the same person. Take a look at both of their "looking up" sprites and you can tell that the face is pretty much identical. A much more subtle hint of Shih-na's true identity before the big reveal.

I noticed that, too, but not until after the reveal, when I was scrutinizing the sprites for any evidence that it could really be Freckles under there.
Page 3 of 7 [ 271 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby