Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby

Page 1 of 3[ 90 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anyone else think the "Final Battle" was fairly lackluster?Topic%20Title

Mystery Buster

Spoilers obviousley

Spoiler:
It went on for friggen ages which doesn't mean it had to be a bad thing but the way they were continuing it was just awful. It was pretty much just Alba saying "no, I disagree" or someone shouting "Hold it!" (which even got on Kay's nerves). Plus what was with all the technicalties outside court? It was like you couldn't arrest him until he admitted guilt, this is Ace Attorney! I thought they just arrest the first person they see and let Defence Attornies to the rest!

Don't take that last part to seriousley
:gumshoe:
Just Gumshoe
Re: Anyone else think the "Final Battle" was fairly lackluster?Topic%20Title

NOOOOOOOOOO MY INSTANT NOODLES

Edit: nevermind
"Every time I talk to Oldbag, my biological clock goes up by ten months"

Last edited by Alpha on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mystery Buster

Edit: Never mind aswell :phoenix:
:gumshoe:
Just Gumshoe

Last edited by Detective Rossco on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uh... Forget it. Sorry.

Anyway, I didn't mind the final confrontation much myself, but I can see why you'd feel that way. It did drag out a bit.

I have returned!

Detective Rossco wrote:
Spoilers obviousley

Spoiler:
It went on for friggen ages which doesn't mean it had to be a bad thing but the way they were continuing it was just awful. It was pretty much just Alba saying "no, I disagree" or someone shouting "Hold it!" (which even got on Kay's nerves). Plus what was with all the technicalties outside court? It was like you couldn't arrest him until he admitted guilt, this is Ace Attorney! I thought they just arrest the first person they see and let Defence Attornies to the rest!

Don't take that last part to seriousley

Spoiler: Case 5
Alba had extraterritorial rights. He could not be arrested in his own country, unless he was taken off of office suddenly from *COUGH* The Wolf

Also, he couldn't be arrested until it was conclusively proven that the murder had taken place in the Theatrum Neutralis, because if there was even a chance that it had happened in Allebhast, it would be impossible to arrest him even after his ambassadorship was revoked.

Last edited by Alpha on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faceless

I sort of agree. I didn't mind that it went to so long, it was just mainly the fact that the last part seemed to only consist of:
Alba: You can't get me.
Edgey: He's right! I can't!
(insert character here): WAIT. I HAVE DECISIVE EVIDENCE THAT WILL TURN THIS AROUND.
Alba: No you don't.
(repeat above)

Currently seeking adoption. It's so lonely out here...

Jack wrote:
I sort of agree. I didn't mind that it went to so long, it was just mainly the fact that the last part seemed to only consist of:
Alba: You can't get me.
Edgey: He's right! I can't!
(insert character here): WAIT. I HAVE DECISIVE EVIDENCE THAT WILL TURN THIS AROUND.
Alba: No you don't.
(repeat above)

Agreed. It would have been nice if they mixed it up a bit, and no repeat a process. That's my only complaint.

A part of me didn't want it to end because that would mean the game would end. ;D Good thing I was playing it in the afternoon instead of at night. If I played it at night, I would be annoyed, because I wouldn't be able to put the game down and go to sleep without knowing the outcome. :P
Proud shipper of FeeniexIris, ApolloxEma.

Idol of Polar Bears

Not at all. The breakdown was glorious and they certainly got their just desserts
Spoiler:
being tried by Edgeworth and Franziska, as well as losing everything (twice!) that they had been building up for ten years.

At the least, it was a much more satisfying payoff than Bridge To The Turnabout's stale finale.

Wanderer

Alba had extraterritorial rights. He could not be arrested in his own country, unless he was taken off of office suddenly from *COUGH* The Wolf

yeah,this was the answer until he lost it

PL vs PW <33

Spoiler:
I dunno about lackluster, but I did feel it dragged out a lot... I can understand why given the situation and plot (because of the conditions that made them not able to even arrest Alba to bring him to court to let lawyers argue the rest), but it was just like "okay can he just give up and die now, please?" "What, more arguing?" The old man just wouldn't give it up... it didn't help I was playing late at night XD

Phoenix: "You know my strategy. Speak first, think later!"
devART:.:My wallpapers:.:My comics/fanart:.:Sprite edits:.:Objection font

PsychoDahlia?!

I totally agree. There weren't even any plot twists or major revelations during the entire final battle. If they wanted to have a long final battle, they should have added extra plot points, or even withheld some of the info previously found in the game for the final confrontation.
Oh, and having a more interesting final boss would be very helpful, too. (I for one would have liked to have seen their 'dragon' as the big bad, instead.)
Thanks C.Gholy for my earth-shattering wallpaper, and .•°٭blinq٭°•. for this amazingly wonderful signature!

The Red Dahlia wrote:
I totally agree. There weren't even any plot twists or major revelations during the entire final battle. If they wanted to have a long final battle, they should have added extra plot points, or even withheld some of the info previously found in the game for the final confrontation.

I agree completely. This was my main problem with the final confrontation. I actually like really long rebuttals and court battles, but only if they keep me on the edge of my seat and surprise me every now and then. With the final confrontation in AAI, it was the exact opposite. For example,

Spoiler:
I could guess the whole deal with the Samurai Dog box as soon as Oldbag mentioned that it had a red dot on it. There was absolutely nothing surprising about how the box was used as evidence, and I just kept waiting for the characters to be done with their final "Blah blah blah" and get it over with.

machinimator

My problem was that any relevant evidence was only found the moment you needed it, kind of reducing the need to think through everything you found. If the very last investigation segment had gone on longer to find each of those things, it might have worked out better. For instance, wander around the theatre where Oldbag offers you a hot dog with the red dot on it.
I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

PL vs PW <33

^
Spoiler: about the evidence
yeah, especially since from time to time, Edgey cleans out his evidence box thing, so you know what's relevant and what's not, and things that haven't been used and are still in there, you know it'll be used eventually, like the Samurai dogs box, which looks irrelevant, yet he held on to it after cleaning out the useless stuff, so you know it'll be useful later on.

And even though the situation is dire, I just didn't get the "oh crap I have to get this right or else" feeling I got from say.... 2-4 (or even AAI-4). It could be because
Spoiler:
I already figured out their plot twist of "that's not the victim's blood", because Alba had to have showed his wound for a reason

VampireNaomi wrote:
Spoiler:
I could guess the whole deal with the Samurai Dog box as soon as Oldbag mentioned that it had a red dot on it. There was absolutely nothing surprising about how the box was used as evidence, and I just kept waiting for the characters to be done with their final "Blah blah blah" and get it over with.

Yeah I had the same feeling, that the characters just talk too much, and Edgey has to explain every little detail to the others when I feel some parts are unnecessary... although his little thing at the end where
Spoiler:
he thought "what would Jesus Wright 'that man' do" is quite entertaining

Phoenix: "You know my strategy. Speak first, think later!"
devART:.:My wallpapers:.:My comics/fanart:.:Sprite edits:.:Objection font

Spoiler: Case 5 mostly
It did drag on quite a bit, especially as Alba's excuses grew flimsier and flimsier the more you cornered him. Also, even though he was Shih-na's superior, I kinda felt a bit more engaged when taking down Shih-na personally. Still enjoyed it overall though.

On more of a personal note, part of me was hoping that somewhere in the game the characters would be involved in a full-blown action sequence, similar to the Security video from 1-5. Thinking on it though, I guess too much action would be unnecessary and kinda deviate from the mental aspects of the game. And we did get the end of case 4 after all.

Do that *schwing* thing you always do!

I actually kind of loved the constant barrage of HOLD IT!'s. At first I thought they had stringed them like so "accidentally" but when that one investigator shouted it, I finally realized it's supposed to be a joke and let out a good laugh. It's actually kind of clever how just about everyone imaginable (and a few unimaginable) person yells it.

machinimator

Yeah, I won't deny the nameless guy being the final interrupter was funny; but I'm personally not quite looking for humor at the epic finale.
I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

/人◕‿‿◕人\

The final fight was really disappointing for me. It got really boring.
Edgeworth: We have cornered you! Take that!
Alba: Goodbye.
*someone bursts in* HOLD IT! You have to stay here because...because I say so!
Alba: Fine. *continues to not be beaten*

After the fourth or so time this happened I was bored out of my mind. "Argh, just let him off and go eat Swiss rolls! I'm bored!"
The whole final case was a bit..meh. Aside from the Shih-na revelation (which I had guessed anyway! I feel proud!) it was the most bland final case in the whole series. There wasn't any personal motivation or drive. It wasn't epic enough and stupid Alba took too long to take down. We weren't defending Edgeworth, choosing between personal feelings or justice, clearing Phoenix's name or...well..playing Bridge to the Turnabout (<--most epic case ever.) I was like 'Oh, is that it?' when I finished the game.
But by far the biggest disappointment was Alba's breakdown. We spend way too long getting him to crack, and what does he do? He does his regular OHSHIT sprite and then shrinks. For one second. Not nearly on the level of epic breakdowns eg. Dahlia, Gant, Von Karma, Engarde, Kristoph...and because he took so long to finish off I was really expecting something awesome.

Yeah, the final case was pretty disappointing, all in all. They could have done a lot better.
~Fanfiction~
"No. Men should die for lies. But the truth is too precious to die for."
-Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

Idol of Polar Bears

Hikari wrote:
Yeah, the final case was pretty disappointing, all in all. They could have done a lot better.

Ironically, Turnabout Ablaze was as good as it could have been, and it was still a lot better and more satisfying than Bridge To The Failure Turnabout.

By the way, did you miss the part of Alba's breakdown where he literally explodes?

Last edited by Mr. Bear Jew on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bam! Wait. That's a fish?!

It was... sorta boring. I played the final chapter with my friend, and it was like 10:00 at night, and we were like c'mon! Get on with the show! I guess it dragged on too long with all the multiple hold-its, and then Alba trying to get away. ... Although, I felt that the Yatagarasu's confession was the best part of the final case, other than the completion of the whole game.
[Signature in construction until I make a new one]
I'm back, mate! Still lurking like a ninja but whatevs :3

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Quote:
By the way, did you miss the part of Alba's breakdown where he literally explodes?

It felt to me like a Regular Villain breakdown, and one of the lamer ones. *shrugs* Ah well, each to their own opinion.
~Fanfiction~

I want my Gyakuten Saiban 1.Now.

Alba's breakdown was forgettable. It was really generic, specially for a last case.

I dislike him as a whole, and not in a "love to hate" way. This guy is too boring when compared to other big villains like von Karma, Gant, Matt, Dahlia, Kristoph or Calisto.

I think my main problem with the last bit of Turnabout Ablaze is that breaking him down was not nearly as fun or exciting as revealing the accomplice behind him. The climax happened much before the end.

I got a little more stressed every time he raised his freaking hand.

earthlings on fire

I was one of the unlucky people who had a bright idea to play it at night <_<;

Spoiler: SnapekillsDumbledore...No, wait...AAI Case 5
I was at the part where Shi Long Lang gets shot in the leg, and I'm all like "Aww it's almost over", so I pick it up right before bed. Then I got to the confrontation...

THE GODDAMN THING WOULD NEVER END!
To make it even effing worse I had one little green block left in my Health bar. You can imagine the pain and suffering I went through, constantly saving, and then missing an opportunity and failing.

:gun:

Quercus Alba was just an annoying character. It gave me no satisfaction in defeating him, even when is face melted. I actually cheered when von Karma broke down, but nothing with this guy. I think what makes the rest of the 'final boss fights' so epic is the fact that either a) there's a crazy plot twist or b) you've seen the villain in a previous episode. AAI had neither of those things (don't you dare say his extraterrestrial rights was a plot twist :yogi: ), and so it just felt like some spontaneous character shoved in to take the blame. At least he had his own objection.
We needed something big and grandeur to end Edgeworth's game, but this ending just kind of fizzled and died.

I rather enjoyed Bridge to the Turnabout's ending, however. :godot:
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Surf's Up!

Spoiler:
I definitely thought it was too long and having everyone should "Hold it" (even the no-name forensics guy) was a bit too much. Then again, it was better than 4-4's anticlimatic ending, I suppose...

Idol of Polar Bears

Upon thoughtful reconsideration, I agree that Alba's breakdown could have been better if he had burst into flame following his explosion, igniting the entire lobby and burning it to cinders, with Edgeworth & Co. emerging unscathed, naturally.

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Quote:
Upon thoughtful reconsideration, I agree that Alba's breakdown could have been better if he had burst into flame following his explosion, igniting the entire lobby and burning it to cinders, with Edgeworth & Co. emerging unscathed, naturally.

Hur hur hur.

...Actually, that would have been pretty cool.
~Fanfiction~

Let's! Objection!

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

I was already satisfied how he basically got nuked at the end... but now I wish what you said also happened as well XD

Seeing it as it is

:sadshoe: <--heartfelt conclusion to AAI's finale

It would have been nice if Alba burst into spontaneous combustion flames after his own health bar ran out. Or if he became petrified like a tree and then there would be the sound effect of a chopped tree falling down as he does so.

I think it was the lack of PW's classic drama, drama that really squeezes tears out of even the most jaded people. The previous games always had a certain je ne sais qois that sets the series apart from most detective games/visual novels. Must also say that Turnabout Ablaze wasn't as clever as most. Not lousy, but not clever either.

So yeah.

Irving wrote:
Don't push my buttons, Buttons!

Let's! Objection!

Quick, someone fandub that comic!

Idol of Polar Bears

Arti_Rei wrote:

Turnabout Ablaze Ace Attorney Investigations is so much more entertaining than this comic. =/

The Real Human Being

You guys need to look at the big picture, we waited all through cases 1-5 to figure out WHO was the mastermind of all this.
And finaly we found the guy, even if it was a hard battle it was so much fun.

Seeing it as it is

DoMaya wrote:
You guys need to look at the big picture, we waited all through cases 1-5 to figure out WHO was the mastermind of all this.

What's fun about not sinking any nails into that stubborn log that was Alba until the drop-of-blood-that-is-Japan scene? :zenitora:
Irving wrote:

Idol of Polar Bears

Arti_Rei wrote:
DoMaya wrote:

What's fun about not sinking any nails into that stubborn log that was Alba until the drop-of-blood-that-is-Japan scene? :zenitora:

Subjectivity much? The takedown (systematically stripping away every one of his advantages, firing shot after shot and only slightly puncturing his armor, and stabbing his Achilles Hell with a knife) was the best most fun part of Turnabout Ablaze and nailing Alba FOR GOOD has to be one of the most satisfying moments in the game. I don't know how anyone could be dissatisfied with finally chopping him down to size. Interpreted from an extremely crooked angle, it's almost like the fans didn't care about how much of a monster he was and were rooting for him to escape just so the case would end.

Seeing it as it is

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
Subjectivity much? The takedown (systematically stripping away every one of his advantages, firing shot after shot and only slightly puncturing his armor, and stabbing his Achilles Hell with a knife) was the best most fun part of Turnabout Ablaze and nailing Alba FOR GOOD has to be one of the most satisfying moments in the game. I don't know how anyone could be dissatisfied with finally chopping him down to size. Interpreted from an extremely crooked angle, it's almost like the fans didn't care about how much of a monster he was and were rooting for him to escape just so the case would end.

It felt like a reason to drag the game on more than clearing up some truths about the case. Of course, if you want to say that the disappointed posse of AA fans just wanted the case to end for how long it dragged, then yes. If it had a reason(and a good one) to drag on, very well then. The statue-go-round and the fake MaskdeMasque just went over my head, and half the time I didn't even know how we got to certain conclusions. And I didn't get that lost in the previous games, especially Bridge to the Turnabout.
Irving wrote:

Idol of Polar Bears

Additionally, rubbing salt on Alba's wound by forcing him to pick which country he wants to be prosecuted in first has to be on the same level of satisfaction as humiliating Manfred and absolutely crushing his perfect reputation. "One who is above the law" instantly shrivels up and becomes "the pathetic man with nothing left". If that's not a satisfactory end to Ace Attorney's most powerful and cunning villain to date, I don't know what is.

Mipeltaja = the real badass

Location: That one place. No, not that place, the other place.

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
Additionally, rubbing salt on Alba's wound by forcing him to pick which country he wants to be prosecuted in first has to be on the same level of satisfaction as humiliating Manfred and absolutely crushing his perfect reputation. "One who is above the law" instantly shrivels up and becomes "the pathetic man with nothing left". If that's not a satisfactory end to Ace Attorney's most powerful and cunning villain to date, I don't know what is.

The final evidence was pretty lame, though.

I mean: 1-4, the metal detector comes back out of nowhere, AND you get to take Manfred to the school of PAIN regarding rifling marks.

in 2-4, the final evidence is brought in right before the climax, but it is something you already knew existed and you're just now realizing why it's so significant and how you can use it, and it is so damn satisfying to finally get De Killer to back down and watch Engarde sweat.

in 3-5, the final evidence is things that were introduced two or three cases beforehand.

4-4 was the worst ending to any case so far, there was no final evidence at all because Capcom forgot that sometimes people like to play games.

in AAI-5, it was part-cool, mostly-lame. There are no words for how lame the Rising Sun Samurai Dogs thing was, it was contrived to make the "useless" Samurai Dogs the final bit of evidence. I think it's way better when evidence you already used comes back into play in an unexpected way, like the metal detector or the panties in 4-2. On the other hand, I did like how Amb. Alba's Wound came back into play. I saw it coming but it was nice to see it happen nonetheless.
Billie Jean is not my lover.

Idol of Polar Bears

It's settled then! I admit that the final battle was a complete bust and my argument is thinner than paper. You've won...for now! *vanishes*

/人◕‿‿◕人\

That's the thing. It SHOULD have been satisfying. I mean, beating the most arrogant, powerful villain in the series to date! I was expecting to go YES! and punch the air when we finally beat him.

..It didn't happen.

It was a clever case, but I was basically yawning throughout. I didn't really give a damn about the Yatagarasu or Alba. No emotional involvement for me.

Hmm. I think I'm complaining too much. *vanishes*
~Fanfiction~

I finished the game last night.
Good Christ it wen't on forever.
I mean usually in all the other games when it becomes blatantly obvious that they're the killer the killer just gives up but oh my god Alba really wanted to get off the hook.
I also think that all of the cases were lackluster theres something about interrogating a man in a theater instead of a courtroom that just dose'nt feel right.
Nothing.
Page 1 of 3 [ 90 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby