Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club

Page 1 of 1[ 19 posts ]

"Rock 'N' Roll IS DYING"Topic%20Title

Komikero

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/musict ... er-saysu2/

To be quite honest, I agree with them. Kids nowadays are just more into that pathetic excuse for music known as hip-hop and pop punk. So let's hear what you guys think. Who thinks Rock 'N' Roll really is going extinct, and who thinks U2's just doing this because of their bad sales and because they're growing old? Post away.

I'm a professional comic artist and illustrator. Click on the above logo to visit my official website.
Re: "Rock 'N' Roll IS DYING"Topic%20Title

The cape is self-fluttering

LightningfistCal wrote:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/musictoob/24973/rock-n-roll-might-be-over-saysu2/

To be quite honest, I agree with them. Kids nowadays are just more into that pathetic excuse for music known as hip-hop and pop punk. So let's hear what you guys think. Who thinks Rock 'N' Roll really is going extinct, and who thinks U2's just doing this because of their bad sales and because they're growing old? Post away.

Technically, Rock 'N' Roll "died" a long time ago. I don't think I've heard someone release new "Rock 'N' Roll" music during my lifetime.

I've heard various forms of rock, though, metal, traditional punk, indie rock, and so on. If he just means rock in general seems to be getting pushed aside, I can agree. But whining that it's because the "traditional music fan doesn't exist anymore" is kind of dumb. Fans and styles are always changing. The stuff that was popular in the 1940s wasn't popular in the 1960s, and the stuff that was popular in the 1960s certainly wasn't being snatched up in the 1980s. Why do they think it's any different in 2009?

Plus, MTV is a joke, always catering to new kids, if they're even playing any music at all. The average artist shelf life is 3 months. TRL and dozens of "reality" shows just made it worse. Even TRL is dead now (their only good decision). If you want to release your rock music, and rock music is not what is popular on the Hot 100, then you have to cater to a different Billboard chart, like Adult Contemporary, or Rock, and suck it up. I think U2 is definitely frustrated about struggling sales and the fact they're growing old, but at the same time, they'll always have fans. The people who actually liked them in the 1980s will always buy their new music, even if it's not popular by Empty Vee standards. And who cares about record sales anyway when it's a well known fact that record companies fuck you in the ass and laugh about it all the way to the bank? Concerts are where the money is. Just play 100 shows a year and they'll be fine in their lovely mansions.

In the meantime, don't worry about rock dying. It won't ever truly go away. (And technically, thanks to games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero (and to a lesser extent, the Grand Theft Auto games), newer generations can always be exposed to not-so-new rock music.) I'm personally waiting for black people to take back rock music and push it back into the spotlight so we can get a makeover of all the other garbage. I'm sick of turning on the television only to be turned off by everybody's grills and sparkling chains, fake "gospel" singing, silly dancing, and emo-ness. Damn whippersnappers... *swings her walker*
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Komikero

Adrian in black wrote:
LightningfistCal wrote:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/musictoob/24973/rock-n-roll-might-be-over-saysu2/

Technically, Rock 'N' Roll "died" a long time ago. I don't think I've heard someone release new "Rock 'N' Roll" music during my lifetime.

I've heard various forms of rock, though, metal, traditional punk, indie rock, and so on. If he just means rock in general seems to be getting pushed aside, I can agree. But whining that it's because the "traditional music fan doesn't exist anymore" is kind of dumb. Fans and styles are always changing. The stuff that was popular in the 1940s wasn't popular in the 1960s, and the stuff that was popular in the 1960s certainly wasn't being snatched up in the 1980s. Why do they think it's any different in 2009?

Plus, MTV is a joke, always catering to new kids, if they're even playing any music at all. The average artist shelf life is 3 months. TRL and dozens of "reality" shows just made it worse. Even TRL is dead now (their only good decision). If you want to release your rock music, and rock music is not what is popular on the Hot 100, then you have to cater to a different Billboard chart, like Adult Contemporary, or Rock, and suck it up. I think U2 is definitely frustrated about struggling sales and the fact they're growing old, but at the same time, they'll always have fans. The people who actually liked them in the 1980s will always buy their new music, even if it's not popular by Empty Vee standards. And who cares about record sales anyway when it's a well known fact that record companies fuck you in the ass and laugh about it all the way to the bank? Concerts are where the money is. Just play 100 shows a year and they'll be fine in their lovely mansions.

Yeah, you're right. Times are changing, I know, and so are people's interests-- but it's just disappointing and frustrating to hear the "music" nowadays. Quality has really dropped. And the fact that there are all these untalented posers everywhere just makes the situation all the more annoying for me. But that's my opinion.

Adrian in black wrote:
In the meantime, don't worry about rock dying. It won't ever truly go away. (And technically, thanks to games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero (and to a lesser extent, the Grand Theft Auto games), newer generations can always be exposed to not-so-new rock music.) I'm personally waiting for black people to take back rock music and push it back into the spotlight so we can get a makeover of all the other garbage. I'm sick of turning on the television only to be turned off by everybody's grills and sparkling chains, fake "gospel" singing, silly dancing, and emo-ness. Damn whippersnappers... *swings her walker*

Heh. Tell me about it. I don't remember there being a time when I turned the TV on to try to find some good music on and actually find some. No, it's all shitty rap and hip-hop and senseless pop music with OUTRAGEOUS clothes, making, dancing, whatever. Yet, strangely enough, some of the "emo" ones might actually have a little bit of quality. Oh well. Which is why I'd rather just play Guitar Hero and listen to some good old rock n' roll there or find old school music videos on the internet or something.

So yeah.

I'm a professional comic artist and illustrator. Click on the above logo to visit my official website.

You've been hit by, a smooth prosecutor

LightningfistCal wrote:

Adrian in black wrote:

Heh. Tell me about it. I don't remember there being a time when I turned the TV on to try to find some good music on and actually find some. No, it's all shitty rap and hip-hop and senseless pop music with OUTRAGEOUS clothes, making, dancing, whatever. Yet, strangely enough, some of the "emo" ones might actually have a little bit of quality. Oh well. Which is why I'd rather just play Guitar Hero and listen to some good old rock n' roll there or find old school music videos on the internet or something.

So yeah.

1 name: VH-1 Classic.
Which might as well be renamed rock (or metal) central. That Metal Show proves it's not dead yet. At some point everybody will get tired of this manufactured pop and rap shit and switch back to real music.

The cape is self-fluttering

LightningfistCal wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:
LightningfistCal wrote:

Yeah, you're right. Times are changing, I know, and so are people's interests-- but it's just disappointing and frustrating to hear the "music" nowadays. Quality has really dropped. And the fact that there are all these untalented posers everywhere just makes the situation all the more annoying for me. But that's my opinion.

Oh, no, it's definitely frustrating. I remember the first time a Goo Goo Dolls song came out and it wasn't on the main chart at all. That's when I knew my favorite band was "aging."

But at least with any generation of music, there are some good among the crappy. I remember during and after that late 90s boy band invasion, quite a few good artists--ones that actually compose and perform their own music--popped up. Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, John Mayer (before he became a total douche), Lifehouse, just to name a few. And then the boy bands dropped out of the spotlight and all the emo shit took over. But there were still some good bands, or at least a few good songs. But it's true that hearing too much of the undesirable can make it seem like there's no good music anywhere.

I myself keep to the oldies and rock and old school R&B stations lately, only going to the popular station once in a while. And I'll probably be content with that setup until the next "new wave" comes in to balance out the current stuff.

Johnny Rotan wrote:
1 name: VH-1 Classic.
Which might as well be renamed rock (or metal) central. That Metal Show proves it's not dead yet. At some point everybody will get tired of this manufactured pop and rap shit and switch back to real music.

Yes.

I don't mind pop and rap, but... not the crap that's out today. Eventually, we'll all need a song with substance.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Get Funky, +10 Pulchritude

the public goes through fetishes. but yeah, true blues/rnb/jazz influenced rock and roll died a long time ago.

there's still good music though

In vain they did not suffer...

It's sad, but true. Rock n' roll is dying. In fact, it might be dead already. I look around and I realize that people see rock as "oldschool" or outdated. Even people I know who absolutely loved rock are now listening to "mainstream music". Truly a sad thing, but hey, every music genre is fated to "die" one day. It happened with classical music, jazz, and many others. So it's only natural for certain types of music to "disappear", no matter how sad it is. It's all for the sake of progress (or lack thereof) and constant evolution. Obviously, I disagree with this progress, but this isn't a topic about politics and anti-capitalism, so let's skip this. xD
Anyway, there still are some good bands out there, but they're mostly unknown. We just have to search for them. ;D

So, I'm not worried, because we are "Brothers of Metal". \m/ :rock'n: Manowar is awesome.
"We lie in wait, the human minds are clouded
Initiation of the master plan
Assimilate, build a life among them
Centuries will pass, patience will win"

Iced Earth ~ Ten Thousand Strong

You've been hit by, a smooth prosecutor

Metaler wrote:

So, I'm not worried, because we are "Brothers of Metal". \m/ :rock'n:

Seconded.
It won't disappear on our watch :zenitora: (I just saw a new Twisted Sister video on VH-1 Classic that kicked ass. This is the song. ) :rock'n:

What do you see behind the mask?

Trends come and go, and the things the mainstream audience adores change with the media the masses consume.
Fans don't care whether something is considered dead or not - Things evolve, and the ones who don't agree with that stick to their favorites. Every genre has many many bands that belong to it, so it's not really a big deal if it's considered dead by the mainstream media. It's still there in any case.

Princes Kept the view

I'm kindda divided about what to say, so Multiple personality disorder time.

Geeky mode: Technically Rock 'N' Roll is dead but not really with Rock music. Rock 'N' Roll is a variation of Rock Music. Modern Rock is still going though. Rock won't die.

Angry mode: WTF, ROCK IS NOT DYING AND IT NEVER WILL. Have you heard of Green Day, or 3 Doors Down, The Sword, The Killers, Foo Fighters, Good Charlotte, Queens of the Stone age, huh? And If "modern rock" is not you fucking cup of tea then Poisin, Bon Jovi, Moley Crue, Bad Religion, Peral Jam and others are still making music.

Sarcastic mode: Really, you're beliving in this. They said Rock 'N' Roll would die a long time ago, what's changed? Hip-Hop and stuff is around, yes, but what does that have to do with anything. And with thriving rythem games about rock won't die.

spiritual mode: My friends rock won't die, because of us. I mean who here, on CR, like Rock over Hip-Hop. We can make the diffrence the world needs. And It needs more Kick ass tunes. So call you radio station and request some rock music.

Basic mode: Rock won't die.

so there we have it
Thanks DNR
My fanfic 3 Truths 1 Law
Mother: Miyako Chinatsu
Father: Yaragorm
Siblings: oddy, MaxSavar, kitsunaii

kenny, rock does NOT equal rock n roll

those bands you named are not rock n roll. rock, yes, a closer term would be alternative rock, but not rock n roll.

Princes Kept the view

L_J wrote:

those bands you named are not rock n roll. rock, yes, a closer term would be alternative rock, but not rock n roll.

I said that in geeky mode diphead.
Thanks DNR
My fanfic 3 Truths 1 Law
Mother: Miyako Chinatsu
Father: Yaragorm
Siblings: oddy, MaxSavar, kitsunaii

lying is bad

Kenny 57 wrote:
L_J wrote:

I said that in geeky mode diphead.

All your posts are monotonous and banal, really. You aren't able to incorporate a "tone of voice" with your writing, so most people are unable to discern between sarcasm or seriousness.

And the term "diphead" is more applicable to the user than the intended recipient in this case.

In Justice We Trust

Music genres don't die; they just gradually move out of the spotlight as newer styles are born. Even if the original artists won't always be around, new artists will follow in their footsteps, albeit probably not in as great numbers.
I'll always love you, Max.

Shake it up, baby, now, TWIST AND SHOUT!

U2's new stuff sucks balls.

I did however get a lift home yesterday by one of my work colleagues, and he was playing some R&B off his iPod. I thought, wow, there's some good R&B and Hip Hop out there, but all of this is just shite.

I am a huge fan of 60's onwards Rock and Rock and Roll. From the Beatles, SOME of Elvis, Fleetwood Mac etc.
Music evolves, and Rock and Roll changed as the likes of Elvis and Buddy Holly passed on. Cliff Richard still tries to cling on, but then my mum likes him, and that's about all I need say regarding him.

Each musician brings a new take to a genre, so genre's are always changing. R&B used to stand for Rhythm and Blues, it's a loooong way from that now.
In terms of rock, you can hardly compare The Beatles to Queen to the Kings of Leon. Yet they all purport to be rock. It is for this reason I hate genrefication. You can't classify all music objectively.

Rock and Roll as Elvis did it died decades ago.
In my eyes, U2 are no more Rock and Roll than Lady Gaga is. U2 are Rock. Therefore their point is invalid.

But do I believe that all new music detracts from the good old days and is in fact all shitty R&B and HipHop?
In the late 90's and early 00's I'd have said yes.
Now however a resurgence of great new Rock musicians have come through; The Killers, The Kings of Leon, Coldplay to name but three.

Of course some of the great old bands are still going strong, Fleetwood Mac and Bon Jovi for example, and the return of Beatlemania with the re-release of the albums in both mono and stereo shows that appreciation for the genre is still rife.

The very narrow genre of Rock and Roll may be over, but it's legacy lives on in some fantastic Rock songs. And Cliff Richard, bless his heart.

lynyrd skynyrd~

Shake it up, baby, now, TWIST AND SHOUT!

Fairplay. They were never big in the UK, only 2 singles charted, the highest at 21. I don't know much about them, so forgot.

Two more games coming up soon

Instead of crying over rock's dead body, why don't you throw your television out the window and start looking over the Internet for music you actually like? I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll find hundreds of "rock" songs released in the 2000s to be more than listenable.
We have much more choice nowadays than before: we can listen to almost all the music in the world, instantaneously, and for free. In these conditions, it's pretty much impossible not to find something out there to enjoy.
Sure, we all want the music we love to be popular. But in the end, it really doesn't matter. What matters is the pleasure you, personally, can get from listening to music. If you don't like the mainstream dancepop that's popular, do your ears a favour: don't listen to it. It's as simple as that.
Creator of Apollo Justice Case 5: Turnabout Substitution: Trailer - Download
Co-creator of New Year's Turnabout, Turnabout Revolution, and At Dawn's Break

Mr. Step-ladder

*Blocks Ears* Lalalalalalala... Noooot Listening... Lalalalalla....

As much as I love U2, I have to disagree. Rock n roll might be dying, yes, but it's slowly getting revived. Remastered albums and band reunions for the win. New content is not needed, because then it probably won't be Rock n roll.

Elvis just needs to come out of his closet under the sand somewhere and we're set.
Always strive to improve, not compare to others! - Arkillian
Purple Angel wins infinity cookies for this signiture! Who may come back soon!
Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club