Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 5[ 161 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright?Topic%20Title

I feel like this subforum can use a general thread like this now that the game has come out in Europe. Keep in mind that a thread of this nature will more than likely contain spoilers, so if you live on the other side of the Atlantic or haven't played the game yet for whatever reason, you should consider leaving now.

I have just finished the game, and my thoughts are all over the place, and some opinions or thoughts may change after some (much-needed) pondering, but I'll do my best to summarize my general feelings inside this spoiler box.

Spoiler: The entire game
Overall I must say I quite enjoyed the game. I have never played a Professor Layton game before, but there were very few puzzles that were a tedious, and only two I found downright bad (the one with the mice and the one with the goddess harp) while the rest were very creative and satisfying to solve. The comedy in this game was as good as I expected it to be, with Phoenix's sarcastic comments being the highlight. The four protagonists complement each other very well, and were working well together in the courtroom during the great trials, although I will say Professor Layton took up a bit too much of Phoenix's space. The mob examination kept things fresh and was surprisingly fun to work through. Also, the soundtrack, animations and locales are fabulous.

However, even though this game was great and left far more of an impression on me than Dual Destinies, I had a lot of issues with the game, some being more serious than others.

First of all, the support characters are forgettable at best, and you're never given any reason at all to care for them, other than their occasional fun line. The biggest offenders for this are Espella and Barnham, who never develop as characters even though they're essential to the story (although Barnham is more or less completely forgotten about towards the end). Espella is just a generic nice girl who's in need of saving, and our heroes are going to incredible lengths to ensure her safety. I'm not saying they should let her die or anything, but come now.

My second complaint is a bit hard to put into words, but I'll do my best. It sometimes felt like the protagonists' priorities were misplaced, for the lack of a better word. They practically immediately accept the fact that they've seemingly being sucked into a book, and don't work on getting out, opting instead to reveal the "mystery of the village". The lack of urgency is most apparent in Phoenix and Maya, who don't seem to care that they thought they had been working as bakers in the town for five years (also, we never really get to see how Maya recovers her memories). The whole baker thing, while fun, is just a confusing plot element that doesn't lead anywhere.

Thirdly, Phoenix and Maya don't contribute nearly as much as Layton does. The latter is always the one with the solutions to their problems, and the center of things that are relevant. While I get that it's very much his character to be the intelligent, collected gentleman, it makes Phoenix look useless by comparison, something that's painfully apparent during the last trial, where Layton dominates Phoenix in a bloody court of law. Also, Maya doesn't really DO anything other than saving Espella in a cutscene, whereas Luke at least appeared as a witness. Some may argue that Maya doesn't add much more to the Ace Attorney franchise than comic relief, but I'd beg to differ.

Lastly, and this is the most important problem of all I had with the game, is that the ending was awful, unfeasible, impossible, cheesy, boring, ridiculous and creates so many plot holes that it's not even funny. It's something M. Night Shamalan would've come up with. While I suspected that there may be a plot twist like magic not being real, the explanation for all that happened was beyond ludicrous. I'm sure some of you must be of the same opinion as me.

Oh well, at least the Edgeworth cameo was glorious.

So those are my brief, general thoughts of the game. What did you think?
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title

迷探偵

Over a year old, but I don't think my opinion of the game changed very much.

The short story: I love the game for the AA parts, both as a AA game as well as 'just' a piece of mystery fiction, but I thought it was a bad Layton game.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

I have so many opinions on Barnham and Darklaw because they both were my favorite characters in the game but they were so poorly handled *sobs*.

Spoiler:
Barnham is supposed to be the game's main prosecutor, but he isn't even that threatening, and is completely uninvolved with the last case of the game, which is pretty rare considering most end cases revolve around the main prosecutor of the game; the exception being 2-4 having nothing to do with Franziska, I guess, except at least she was a much fiercer opponent than Barnham. And he doesn't do much of anything either; I guess he saves Nick's ass and sniffs around the witch town (... place thing) a bit, but then gets thrown in jail and completely disappears for the rest of the game.
I guess the fact that he doesn't have a "quirk" like the other prosecutors did (Franziska's whip, Godot's coffee, Klavier's rockstar-ness) doesn't quite help. I guess Edgeworth didn't, either, but Edgeworth was deeply involved in Phoenix's life, was the first main prosecutor in the series, and got quite a lot of development.

In a way, Barnham is like the polar opposite of Blackquill. Blackquill is way too frigging over the top with his samurai theme (to the point where I just don't want to hear about it anymore, gosh!), while Barnham is way too subdued and, I guess, "normal". Which is a lot to say about a guy who is a medieval knight whose job is to prosecute witches, I guess. There were a few little tidbits that showed a little bit of what his personality could be like beyond "knight prosecutor", like his (adorable :3) dog, or his drawings (seriously, what a dork), but those by themselves aren't nearly enough to make him a rounded character.

Darklaw, on the other hand, does shit all for the whole game, then has the final case pretty much revolve around her. Which is perfectly fine, except I wonder why she got so little screen time beforehand. I mean, all she did for the first ~15 hours of the game is briefly show up in a cutscene and curse the Narrator under her breath. Then suddenly she's the prosecutor for the last game and turns out the whole plot even revolves around her, and she's the cause of the fire that destroyed the town 12 years earlier. I don't mind the game focusing on her for that last part, but if they were going to go that route I wonder why they didn't give her more screentime before the last case, especially since she's a pretty cool character who deserved it, IMO. It just comes a bit out of nowhere and it's a shame, I wish they would have included her a bit more in the story and built it up until the last case.

None of them have much in the way of a personality, which is a damn shame, considering they both look so cool and are instantly likeable IMO. I hope the weekly episode thingies flesh them out a bit more, because I'd love to know more about them.

Espella is just a crap character. I don't dislike her, and she's pretty inoffensive, she's just... completely uninteresting.

Both the plot and the ending are pretty standard Layton stuff, and if you've played a Layton game before you'll know the ending even before you start playing the game, because that's how every Layton game ends. I was dreading it since the start (and I say "dreading" because I hate how every single Layton game has the same "plot twist" at the end), but I hoped that they wouldn't fully go that route since, after all, this game was only "half" Layton, but alas.

The art and music were great, yadda yadda yadda. Everyone knows that. The framerate drops were a pain in the ass, but they only happened three or four times so they weren't too bad.

... I just realized all I've done so far is complain about the game, but honestly, I loved it. Especially after Dual Destinies, which was a huge disappointment to me. I was a bit skeptical about the mob trials but they were lots of fun. The game was a bit on the easy side (both on the Layton parts and the AA parts), but I've seen people say the opposite, so maybe I'm just used to both games' mechanics at this point. Of course, the art and music are gorgeous, but that was to be expected. The Spanish dub was surprisingly amazing, way better than the English dub for Dual Destinies.

The minor characters (especially Olivia and the townspeople who participated in the trials) were all charismatic and full of life, which makes up a bit for the major characters not being as good as they should have.

This game ranks high for me, both for the Layton series and the Ace Attorney series. If I had to change anything, I'd just add a couple more hours to flesh out the main characters a bit more, but that's honestly my only peeve with the game. Maybe I'd even add another trial, though not because I feel the game needs it, but because I had so much fun with them (except for the second witch trial; I was too busing having my heart ripped to shreds to be having fun with it). Everything else I'm okay with.

tl;dr 9/10 would play again
EDIT: hot damn that was long

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

I'm sure that I pretty much mentioned this somewhere on this forum, but I really enjoyed playing that game and I would play it again several times, sadly I do not own the game since I have an old NDS and buying a new one is just too much mainstream :godot:

Gotta ask my cousin..

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I've been replaying this game, and while it still is an enjoyable read, I really wish the game was better integrated. It often feels like the moments where I want to return specifically to are generally few and far between, and most of those moments are during the court segments, naturally, though there are a few moments outside the courts that I like to revisit... but they're late in the game, and it's just troublesome since I can't jump to which ever chapter I want.

Also, the final trial is pretty long... long enough to be split into three chapters. Thankfully, it's not a continuous stream through the witch trial, with a Layton chapter as an intermediary... but it was the shortest chapter in the game. It comes in without warning too. "Meanwhile, Professor Layton and Luke set off on a daring confrontation with the Storyteller... and oh, look at the time! Sorry, that's it for our quick preview! Get back to court, folks."

Takumi, that was a troll move! How could you!?

At the very least, I could replay the final moments of the last chapter, where everything is revealed to be a bunch of bull crap, and witness a hilarious second ending.

Nick never gets a break from being the butt of everyone's jokes, especially not from Takumi's. Layton, meanwhile, almost always seems to be sitting on a high horse, looking down upon the crowds, and rarely hops off to shake the hands of the peasants below him. What a beautiful relationship we have here.

I still love this game more than GS5, but GS5 just does the "game" part better more of the time.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

:)

Only just started playing. But I think it's really fabolous so far. Cant wait for Layton and Phoenix to meet each other.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
"Meanwhile, Professor Layton and Luke set off on a daring confrontation with the Storyteller... and oh, look at the time! Sorry, that's it for our quick preview! Get back to court, folks."

Don't forget that...

Spoiler:
magic doesn't exist, so those suits of armor were probably machines controlled by pen and paper. That's some technology right there.

And since magic doesn't exist, it makes me wonder what the hell happened to Layton's office and how, among a LOT of other things.

Quote:
Layton, meanwhile, almost always seems to be sitting on a high horse, looking down upon the crowds, and rarely hops off to shake the hands of the peasants below him.

I agree. While I liked Layton as a character, he came across as almost sui-ish when he interacted with others. Don't get me wrong, there's certainly room for a more sophisticated, highly intelligent character in the game, it's just that he too often makes everyone look retarded in comparison.

Gardevoir lover

Can anyone link me to the
Spoiler:
Edgeworth cameo?

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Still not done with the game. 17 hours in and I'm at chp 5. now. WOW what a cliffhanger ending to that last chapter.

I just wanted to comment on Layton as a character in this game though. I think for the most part Shu Takumi has been good at respecting Layton's core values, but at the same time Layton does lack a certain spark to him, when he isn't written by whoever it was from Level-5 who did most of the Layton games. I've noticed his manner of speech is different from the usual. He starts more than half his sentences with the typical "It would appear" that I grew so tired of in AAI (But it's Takumi, so it's okay this time!! :yogi: ) and whenever he makes his "gentlemen" lines it's always phrased like so: "That is the duty of every gentleman". It sounds robotic and lacks the smell-of-cosyness and charm that he usually has.

But I'm making it sound like I hate it. Don't get me wrong. Layton is still very much Layton, but I would've preffered if Level-5 collaborated more with Takumi when it came to the actual penning of the script in this regard.

Luke on the other hand really shines when Takumi writes him. He gets the whole package here. Hilarious remarks, great character-building and if this game wasn't a crossover he'd have gotten genuine character-development for sure.

I still think at the end of the day I'll probably still see Ghost Trick as Shu Takumi's best piece of art - but even so, PL vs PWAA really shines as a solid piece of fiction rather than a good Layton game or good Phoenix Wright game IMO. If I had to choose though, I'd say Phoenix Wright has the upper hand in the gameplay department. There's nothing new on Layton's front. Not even what I used to take as a given so far e.g.: No multiple-choice questions where you have to follow Layton's Logic. No Battle of Wits with Layton vs. some random guy from the city or maybe even the Storyteller - all of this feels like a missed opportunity.

But even so, even so: I am still very impressed with this game. The Witch Trials blow the Mood Matrix and anything Dual Destinies tried to innovate with courtroom battles WAY out of the water IMO. In fact I've even seen yet another couple of plot-elements in PLvPWAA that has made me go: "Didn't they also do this in Dual Destinies??"

Spoiler: Chapter 4
Greyerl being a girl is so similar in concept to Robin Newman also being a girl... Although here it actually made sense to the story.
It makes me wonder if the guys at Capcom got early copies of PLvPWAA in 2012 since they ended up doing a lot of similar things with Dual Destinies. :udgey:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Thane wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
"Meanwhile, Professor Layton and Luke set off on a daring confrontation with the Storyteller... and oh, look at the time! Sorry, that's it for our quick preview! Get back to court, folks."

Don't forget that...

Spoiler:
magic doesn't exist, so those suits of armor were probably machines controlled by pen and paper. That's some technology right there.

And since magic doesn't exist, it makes me wonder what the hell happened to Layton's office and how, among a LOT of other things.

Spoiler:
One of the special episodes lampshade on that point. Chelmey even suggests that a certain "accident" really was just an accident. (Or maybe it was all an act made to look as realistic as possible. Darklaw did mention that her drawing Layton into the Story was intentional. *gasp* 'Tis a conspiracy! The pigeon was in on it too, that sneaky little birdy.)

Yet, it still doesn't explain how she and the Yoma could fly around, or how they managed to hypnotize Espella during the first trial. I got nothin' for them.

Quote:
Quote:
Layton, meanwhile, almost always seems to be sitting on a high horse, looking down upon the crowds, and rarely hops off to shake the hands of the peasants below him.

I agree. While I liked Layton as a character, he came across as almost sui-ish when he interacted with others. Don't get me wrong, there's certainly room for a more sophisticated, highly intelligent character in the game, it's just that he too often makes everyone look retarded in comparison.

To be fair, a lot of these people are retarded in comparison to even Maya and Luke. But you do have to wonder who would win in a battle of wits: Layton or Edgeworth.
Spoiler: Bonus Episode
It's a good thing Edgey stopped by in one special episode, but we never got to see that contest...

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Can anyone link me to the
Spoiler:
Edgeworth cameo?

I haven't found a completed video walkthrough of the game yet, so you'll just have to wait a while.
Spoiler:
He shows up in a short scene near just before the credits.

linkenski wrote:
It makes me wonder if the guys at Capcom got early copies of PLvPWAA in 2012 since they ended up doing a lot of similar things with Dual Destinies. :udgey:

I doubt it. Takumi was surprised that Eshiro & co. went with Phoenix as a main character, so I don't think either team discussed the games they were working on with each other.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Spoiler:
Of course the whole mystery was ROBOTS

I'll have more thoughts on it later I guess. I wasn't totally gripped by the whole entire town being for Espella's sake, and especially not by Espella's hurling herself off the tower. Espella isn't really likeable enough for me to be strongly emotionally invested in the core story - I don't really like her tendency to keep on sacrificing herself - unlike Aurora in PL6 who didn't have much of a personality but somehow I still liked her very much. I think if Espella were a bit more involved with helping you out I would like it more.

There were many moments in this game which I really enjoyed, but I don't think that I really liked the ending. Wait, wasn't it the plot of PL1? :P
I mean, if I play through this game again I'm sure that I'll feel... was all this really necessary for Espella's sake? Like Jean Greyerl's story, being taken away from her parents and made to thought that she was dangerous. And why was the Storyteller so busy writing a story for every single person... was that really necessary? He didn't even get to hang out with Espella and enjoy her not-being-traumatized-and-catatonic state.

I did like Eve's character in the end and I felt bad for hating her violently throughout the rest of the game. But I guess, in the end, she really was Bezella... :P

Midnight Jasper wrote:
Spoiler:
Of course the whole mystery was ROBOTS

I'll have more thoughts on it later I guess. I wasn't totally gripped by the whole entire town being for Espella's sake, and especially not by Espella's hurling herself off the tower. Espella isn't really likeable enough for me to be strongly emotionally invested in the core story - I don't really like her tendency to keep on sacrificing herself - unlike Aurora in PL6 who didn't have much of a personality but somehow I still liked her very much. I think if Espella were a bit more involved with helping you out I would like it more.

There were many moments in this game which I really enjoyed, but I don't think that I really liked the ending. Wait, wasn't it the plot of PL1? :P
I mean, if I play through this game again I'm sure that I'll feel... was all this really necessary for Espella's sake? Like Jean Greyerl's story, being taken away from her parents and made to thought that she was dangerous. And why was the Storyteller so busy writing a story for every single person... was that really necessary? He didn't even get to hang out with Espella and enjoy her not-being-traumatized-and-catatonic state.

I did like Eve's character in the end and I felt bad for hating her violently throughout the rest of the game. But I guess, in the end, she really was Bezella... :P

Spoiler:
The ending really makes less sense the more you think about it. The sad part is that it could've worked if it they had hinted more at it, or if it hadn't been, you know, straight up impossible. If we disregard real life logic such as the fact that village would've been found immediately (the entire village burned down ten years ago, the location is hardly unknown to anyone), then we are still left with plot holes and, like you pointed out, characters' actions not making any sense.

The problem for me with Eve, just like with most of the support characters, was that I felt nothing towards her. Why would I hate her when she was hardly in the game? Because she could temporarily remove Espella's only character trait? Espella trying to kill herself is another example; I don't know you, so why should I care (of course this line of thinking only applies to video games)? Also, why would everything magically work out if we saved her? Wouldn't she just try again? She was highly mentally unstable!

And what's the point of the Storyteller being sick if he gets cured in the end anyway?! Argh! There's just so much unnecessary crap thrown at us in the second half of the final case that it feels like it was written by M. Night Shamalan!

Thane wrote:
Spoiler:
Because she could temporarily remove Espella's only character trait?

Wait, which one?

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Thane wrote:
Spoiler:
Because she could temporarily remove Espella's only character trait?

Wait, which one?

Compassion.

Nah, that was still there. And unsurprisingly, everyone lived happily ever after, ready in time for the Bonus Episodes.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Nah, that was still there. And unsurprisingly, everyone lived happily ever after, ready in time for the Bonus Episodes.

As always, by the way, there's a Yugioh Abridged clip that fits this situation perfectly.

Consider me the voice of Kaiba.

Last edited by Thane on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"No matter what, we're in this together~ No matter what, we'll be friends forever~..."

Courtesy of Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton in bad karaoke. It will bring you to tears.

AAO English community manager

Spoiler:
A lot of the reviewers are saying that it was easy to guess the ending, but I'm not sure. Are they referring to the Shades, and that they were able to guess from that segment of the game that the magic fake? I was taken completely by surprise when I reached chapter 9 and Darklaw was testifying about it.

But I did think it was very odd in the epilogue when the Storyteller revealed right off-the-bat that the whole place is fake. They could have carried on the suspense a bit longer.

Also, it seemed strange how the witches seemed to have more magical ability in London than in Labyrinthia - the town where all of the contraptions are located to make the magic actually work. How are they flying around? How did they get the statues to move? Why do they have a secret passageway in a major landmark in London?

Either way, it was a really thrilling conclusion that I really enjoyed. It was the best plot I have ever seen in the AA series with so many twists keeping the momentum of the story.

Meph wrote:
Spoiler:
A lot of the reviewers are saying that it was easy to guess the ending, but I'm not sure. Are they referring to the Shades, and that they were able to guess from that segment of the game that the magic fake? I was taken completely by surprise when I reached chapter 9 and Darklaw was testifying about it.

It's fairly obvious if you've played Layton games before.

Spoiler: Spoilers for the first Layton trilogy
"Layton gets a letter from a friend asking him to go investigate a mysterious town, goes to visit the town, turns out the town and everything in it is fake" is pretty much the whole plot for the first three games, so it was kind of a given that it would be the plot for this game. In fact, the ending to PL vs AA seems to be a homage of sorts to the big twist from each Layton game:
- Artificial town created by a girl's father for her sake (curious village)
- A mind-altering drug was used to make the inhabitants of the town believe that the town was real (diabolical box)
- Layton and Luke travel in time, except not quite (unwound future)

mai wrote:
Spoiler: Spoilers for the first Layton trilogy
"Layton gets a letter from a friend asking him to go investigate a mysterious town, goes to visit the town, turns out the town and everything in it is fake" is pretty much the whole plot for the first three games, so it was kind of a given that it would be the plot for this game. In fact, the ending to PL vs AA seems to be a homage of sorts to the big twist from each Layton game:
- Artificial town created by a girl's father for her sake (curious village)
- A mind-altering drug was used to make the inhabitants of the town believe that the town was real (diabolical box)
- Layton and Luke travel in time, except not quite (unwound future)

Spoiler:
- Robots everywhere (curious village, unwound future, last specter, azran legacies)

Oh, and
Spoiler: AA games
- A young child is suspected of having committed a horrible crime and an adult, knowing this, takes the fall / pins the crime on somebody else, but in the end it wasn't the child who did it. (AA1-4, AA1-5, AA5-5)
Also bonus points because Phoenix works hard only to uncover the truth that the child did it, and then the child testifies and confesses to the crime and everybody accepts it but for Phoenix who digs deeper and finds who really did it.

This game is meant to be an "introduction" to both franchises for people who haven't played one or the other. It certainly plays the nostalgia card a whole lot too - not as much as Dual Destinies does, but it's obviously there.

Also, I just realized. This cat isn't Eve. The yellow eyes tell all.

So was I the only one surprised by how many things this had in common with Dual Destinies?

Spoiler:
Young apprentice accuses female friend of murdering other friend only to realize he was mistaken and apologize, female friend immediately forgives him.

Girl pretending to be a boy, although it actually felt relevant here.

Shitty ending

I'm sure I've forgotten some other obvious ones, but still, I don't know if it's eerie, funny or Mr. Yamazaki just decided to copy and paste things again.

Thane wrote:
So was I the only one surprised by how many things this had in common with Dual Destinies?

Spoiler:
Young apprentice accuses female friend of murdering other friend only to realize he was mistaken and apologize, female friend immediately forgives him.

Shitty ending

I'm sure I've forgotten some other obvious ones, but still, I don't know if it's eerie, funny or Mr. Yamazaki just decided to copy and paste things again.

Spoiler:
Well, I don't really see that as "many things". The first one, yes, it did remind me of Polly, but I saw it as a very understandable reaction for Luke. He's about 10 - 13 yo (?). Also Luke didn't know Maya that well and didn't have much reason to trust her. What's Polly's excuse? :P

And I wouldn't fault the "girl pretending to be a boy" because it wasn't a major point of the case, Jean just out and admitted it. And it was also completely obvious. And generally executed much better than in DD.

The ending takes many elements from the endings of various Layton games. I don't feel that the game's plot particularly resembles DD more than any of the other AA or PL games.

Anyway, uh, Takumi wrote much of PL vs PW (I don't think Yamazaki had anything to do with it) and Takumi didn't appear to be involved in the production of DD. So it can only be coincidence.

AAO English community manager

Spoiler:
Also, when did Eve become Darklaw? Surely she would have been at a ridiculously young age to take on the role of High Inquisitor.

But the main thing that still really baffles me is how there can be witches in London.

Meph wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, when did Eve become Darklaw? Surely she would have been at a ridiculously young age to take on the role of High Inquisitor.

But the main thing that still really baffles me is how there can be witches in London.

Spoiler:
Oh come on. It's always the prosecutors/inquisitors that are instated earlier. What's the issue here? :P

Well, I can't say much without spoiling you guys, but one Special Episode suggests that them "witches" was all planned out beforehand, even in London.

Meph wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
You say that like there's any credibility in the position of High Inquisitor :P
Being one of three people in on the whole conceit, and having to play assistant to the Storyteller, I imagined something like the position of High Inquisitor was created specially for Eve once she was old enough, so she could oversee the smooth running of the Witch Trials and stop people from asking inconvenient questions.
When I was playing through the game I did imagine Eve to be ~26, the default age for any character who is not a teenager, but I guess she's only 20?

The Mob Testimony stuff was really fun (and had really great music), but I would have liked it more if (1) it had been more subtle when one witness reacted to another's testimony (a bit like the Perceive mechanic), and (2) you had more freedom about when to present testimony that contradicted testimony, because I think there were only 3 or 4 moments where that happened and you were explicitly told to do it.

Midnight Jasper wrote:
Spoiler:
When I was playing through the game I did imagine Eve to be ~26, the default age for any character who is not a teenager, but I guess she's only 20?

19. Just a year older than Espella. So she's not thaaat young

Servant of the Goddess of Law

Spoiler:
Alright can someone tell me, in the last case/few chapters of the game who does most of the work? Layton or Wright? I would like to assume they gave Wright his time to shine here since from my understanding a large portion of this takes place in court. Do the writers do Wright justice? Or do they have Layton hog the spotlight from him and make it feel like you should be playing as Layton instead of Wright.

Gammalad wrote:
Spoiler:
Alright can someone tell me, in the last case/few chapters of the game who does most of the work? Layton or Wright? I would like to assume they gave Wright his time to shine here since from my understanding a large portion of this takes place in court. Do the writers do Wright justice? Or do they have Layton hog the spotlight from him and make it feel like you should be playing as Layton instead of Wright.

Spoiler:
In my opinion, Phoenix contributes far less to the game than Layton, who magically comes up with all the answers without ever looking bad. I won't go into details in case you haven't played the game, but Phoenix is occasionally treated a bit too poorly.

The game is still great and hilarious though, don't get me wrong, but this is an annoying, and unnecessary, element.

Update: This should answer your (non-spoiler question) fairly well.

Last edited by Thane on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gammalad wrote:
Spoiler:

You didn't need to tag your question. :3
Spoiler:
Actually, Nick still does a lot more work than Layton does over the course of the game, but Layton solves his side of the mysteries much more efficiently. So, I'd still say the workload is on Nick, but Layton gets all the glory.

Okay, I kid; Nick still gets some moments of his own, especially after the Professor finally shows up to the trial late and we hit the climax of the trial.

For the majority of the final trial, where our client is high in denial, it's stupidity in all sorts of ways... but I find it worth several replays.~♪ ;)

Spoiler:
There's one minor thing that isn't explained (unless it is in the Special Episodes) and it's really bugging me... who attacked Olivia Aldente if it wasn't Espella? The fact that Olivia gets voiced text about it makes it sound like a major plot point, but it's never mentioned again.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Aslandier wrote:
Spoiler:
There's one minor thing that isn't explained (unless it is in the Special Episodes) and it's really bugging me... who attacked Olivia Aldente if it wasn't Espella? The fact that Olivia gets voiced text about it makes it sound like a major plot point, but it's never mentioned again.

Spoiler: Endgame spoilers
It's implied to have been either Darklaw herself or one of the other Shades helping her in London.

Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Thane wrote:

Spoiler:

Shitty ending

I thought this as well. Each case has a lot of things that was recycled in Dual Destinies, which has made my impression of that game even worse now :-(

What pained me most to realise this was the fact that this would mean that Yamazaki either got an early copy, being a Capcom-employee or something, or that he ripped all of it off during the first quarter of 2013 just months before DD was about to release.

I was always under the impression that the entire plot for every case was something a writer got down before a game was even in production. It's more understandable why DD's plot ended up feeling so dull if they just rushed it to get it done shortly before its month of release. But I dunno, maybe nothing really changed there?

Oh well - hence why I've started refering to AA5 as "Ace Attorney - Plagiarism" instead of "Dual Destinies" :grossberg:

linkenski wrote:
What pained me most to realise this was the fact that this would mean that Yamazaki either got an early copy, being a Capcom-employee or something, or that he ripped all of it off during the first quarter of 2013 just months before DD was about to release.

I was always under the impression that the entire plot for every case was something a writer got down before a game was even in production. It's more understandable why DD's plot ended up feeling so dull if they just rushed it to get it done shortly before its month of release. But I dunno, maybe nothing really changed there?

Since each team didn't know what the other one was planning (Takumi in one ONM interview explaining he was "surprised" that Nick was planned to take "main protagonist" role again is a good indication), I highly doubt Yamazaki did any "copying" whatsoever. It's true he threw in a lot of "tributes" to the past trilogy, and as a result, they weaken the impression that DD gives as the 5th installment in a mystery series. It's got nothing to do with plagiarism.

Derper

linkenski wrote:

Oh well - hence why I've started refering to AA5 as "Ace Attorney - Plagiarism" instead of "Dual Destinies" :grossberg:

So, if that's true, how do you explain with the exact time-frames necessary to copy all of these like with how Athena existed along with numerous concepts existed before PLvsAA released, the amount of time it would need to produce and develop for the game, the amount of time to edit the story since it involved more than just Yamazaki, and the amount of time to make the number of twists that are way different than past AA games?

元・超会社員級の管理人

linkenski wrote:
I thought this as well. Each case has a lot of things that was recycled in Dual Destinies, which has made my impression of that game even worse now :-(

Yeah, sorry to pile on you here, but... that's really a baseless accusation. Takumi was working with Level-5 on the story/etc. - if memory serves, Capcom handled art assets for the most part, not anything story related. And it's not like there's tons of cross-pollination even within the same company - projects are confidential for a reason.

Do PLvsPW and DD have some similar plot beats or tricks? Yep. Was it a coincidence? Almost certainly. Claiming that Yamazaki waited for PLvsPW to release, then hastily ripped off its ideas is frankly pretty insulting to the man and his team, and not tremendously plausible in terms of production, either. And I say this as someone whose opinion of DD has gone down over time.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Okay I know it's implausible okay, but first of all, The Capcom-guy who handled the art in PLvPWAA was Kazuya Nuri and AA5's art director was Fuse Takuro... I don't know why I had to blurt this out lol, but art has nothing to do with it either I don't think.

But considering that Dual Destinies already ripped off a lot of old case-designs, like the whole forbidden chamber thing in case 2 being awfully similar to Kurain Village and its locked room in case 2 of JFA for instance, or 5-3's resemblance of the lyrical murder of 4-3. It can't be a coincidence that he also ended up making so similar plot-points to PLvsPWAA as well. There are just too many similarities for me to believe that.

Again I know it sounds far-fetched considering he'd have to do so in a 6-month time-span, but as I see it there's just too many of these "coincidences"

EDIT: But I digress, I know it sounds too good to be true.

linkenski wrote:
Again I know it sounds far-fetched considering he'd have to do so in a 6-month time-span, but as I see it there's just too many of these "coincidences"

There's a big difference between "plagiarism" and "paying tribute". They aren't simply "coincidences", but still are familiar territory. These vague concepts have been recycled throughout history of mystery fiction.

And speaking of "paying tribute", PLvsAA has quite its share of nostalgia for Layton fans. The ending is pretty obvious when you think about it.

...Also, I am now convinced that this game is in propaganda in the war on drugs... no intended spoilers here.

The Chocolateholic of CR

I loved it. But we never did found out who knocked the chef lady out in the freighter............
The Dragovian King and Captain Of The Ragnarok Ship and Owner of The Ragnarok Ranch.
I'm a ♌ since 1990 of August 10th. Better Recognize.
3DS FC:2535-5065-3560

Smile at Hope in the name of Despair

I haven't played the game because its not out in America yet, but I've seen a full playthrough of it and... I'm gonna be honest... this has been the most disappointing game since AAI, especially coming from DD.

Everything just seems like a downgrade from DD. The graphics are dull, the court animations are dull, the mysteries are dull (once again proving that Takumi cannot write a damn mystery to save his life), the court sections and puzzles are too easy and uninspiring (I saw all the contradictions right away, even Dual Destinies made me think and have game overs!), the Layton investigations were so weak (heck, you only zoom in like 3 times in the game, iirc).

The main cast (that is, Layton, Luke, Nick and Maya) are the only good characters in the game as all the supporting characters and witnesses are bare-boned in comparison to Dual Destinies' and the plot has the most plotholes since Unwound Future's plot twist.

Oh, the plot twist is just so terrible.
Spoiler: The plot twist
Not only it came out of nowhere and it doesn't make sense at all.

There's almost nothing that hints to this revelation and it honestly feels like it was written last minute just to not mess with the canon of the series.

I'd much preferred if magic was actually real and that Layton and co's memories were erased at the end of the game than the mess we got for an ending instead. At least it wouldn't contradict its own premise and beginning!

The plot twist being justified as a "Layton staple" doesn't make it better! Sheesh, we're talking about a series that has supernatural happenings along the logical things and Ace Attorney has Spirit Mediums so magic being real wouldn't feel weird at all!

And while I liked the Mass Examinations, I really feel like they weren't fresh enough and felt stale pretty quickly. Nothing innovative was done with them and the ones from the last Witch Trail was tedious to watch, even more because the contradiction were too easy to spot, a fact aggravated by every. single. character. spelling. it. out. to. you.

Literally the only thing this game did good was the production values in the music and cutscenes, and while I prefer the cutscenes from this game, the soundtrack is on par with DD for me.

I'm sorry if I sound hateful, but after being told by everyone how "much better" this game was than DD, I just feel so disappointed. I was expecting something great and instead I got a pretty looking, nice sounding, plothole ridden mess.
Beyond HOPE... Lies absolute DESPAIR.

Page 1 of 5 [ 161 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)