Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby » Gourdzilla's Lair (GK2)

Page 1 of 1[ 5 posts ]

How would you feel about an official localization?Topic%20Title

Amateur Artist

As we all know, Gyakuten Kenji 2 is not officially localized, and what the English-speaking community uses is the fanmade localization, with good ol' Sebastian Debeste, Justine Courtney, and Ray Shields. So, how would you feel if the game was officially localized? How do you think they'd handle it? What would the impact be on the community? Would you like the game to be localized? I'll start

Personally, I would not be a big fan of the game being localized. Although I'd love the benefits, such as the community more widely recognizing what I consider the best game so far, and possibly getting an HD duology, the impact it'd have on the pre-existing community would be too much in my opinion. Many of the decisions the fan localization takes are far too clever, both in naming and in the translation of text quirks, even in the voice lines. Everything feels like it fits perfectly, and never once playing it did I think "Oh yeah, this is a fan localization". The adjustment period would not be easy for the current fans either. After all, if we went from Sebastian Debeste to, say, "Ian Mazing", or from Justine Courtney to "Judy Liberty", people would probably take a good while to adjust to the names. What about people who prefer the fan names to the official ones? And to add to that, I know many may say that something similar happened with past fan translations of the original games, but I'd make the argument that those fan translations were simply not as recognized because the franchise was not known to English-speakers back then, and the internet wasn't quite as fast at spreading the word. Gyakuten Kenji 2, in contrast, is known to be one of the best games in the series by many, but also the sequel to an already known and localized game, so word travels quickly
Re: How would you feel about an official localization?Topic%20Title

The cape is self-fluttering

It wouldn't bother me to adjust to new names. I don't see it being different from playing a game in Japanese and then playing a localized version where the names were changed.

But I also think the fan translation team did such an outstanding job with AAI2. I'm not sure I could show that same level of appreciation to an official translation at this point, even if it was just as good or better.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Amateur Artist

Jean Descole wrote:
It wouldn't bother me to adjust to new names. I don't see it being different from playing a game in Japanese and then playing a localized version where the names were changed.

But I also think the fan translation team did such an outstanding job with AAI2. I'm not sure I could show that same level of appreciation to an official translation at this point, even if it was just as good or better.

Hmm, that's a really good way to look at it. I don't think I can really relate to it, since most other content I consume that comes from foreign places don't really change names much. I guess it'd be like a case of stands in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, where the official names are all copyrighted and can't be used in the dubs, so people who watch the dubs get used to the localized names and the people who watch with subs and can hear the original names get used to those, although most people refer to them by their original names. But yeah, the fact that it's a fanlation kind of makes the appreciation I have for it be much more. I feel like my personal best-case scenario and also very improbable is that if an official localization were to happen, they'd take the time to get permits to use the unofficial translation (I mean, technically they don't have to ask for those rights, given it's their characters, but I don't like the thought of them just stealing the names of the characters, plus they'd still have to get the rights to the voice lines and certain assets), so the localizations would be one and the same. But let's face it: It's not happening

256 x 192

I agree it's pretty bad for the current community who's more familiar with the fan translation, however I'm personally not against it, even though the current translation is phenomenal. Although it'd probably give me some false hope that they'll make a third GK (Which, despite my yearnings to see Gumshoe again, probably wouldn't be as good...)
Spoiler:
Because the ending of the second GK pretty much finished off the series.

I wonder if people from the official English localization team have ever once recognized the fan translation?

personally i just would not like where they would go with the names with the mere existence of "iyesa nosa" and "rei membami"
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby » Gourdzilla's Lair (GK2)