Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay » Signups and OOC Threads

Page 1 of 1[ 28 posts ]

Age of Heroes Signup/OOC ThreadTopic%20Title

Faith is for the transient people.

Welcome to another edition of 'Xero Makes An RP That Is Basically A Revival Of An Older RP That Was Freaking Awesome So Let's Try To Make It Awesome Again!'

... *cough* ANYWAY, welcome to Age of Heroes! This was actually thought up as a 'spiritual successor' to an older RP by the name of 'Heroes of Our Age.' As the name suggests, it's a Superhero RP. That means, obviously, the characters you're signing up for will be superheroes/supervillains/whatever.

First and foremost, the rules!

[1] Follow Forum Rules. It's Gerk's big post on the main Roleplay forum. Follow those rules. ALL of them.
[2] No Godmoding.
[3] All characters must have weaknesses. Nobody is all-powerful and perfect in every way.
[4] To join post profile. Then wait until you are accepted. If you are accepted your profile will be added.
[5] Please do not pester others about your profile.
[6] As this is the OOC thread, all OOC conversation can go here.
[7] No canon characters! All characters need to be original characters and your creations. They can be from older RPs you've participated in. They may NOT carry history from them.
[8] I'm serious, we're not going to all app Touhou and X-Men characters and call it a day. NO CANON CHARACTERS. :P
[9] If you wish to leave the RP for whatever reason I wont be offended. Just send me a pm saying so or make an in-character good-bye post.
[10] Players who do not post in either the RP or the OOC forums or PM me an alert for an extended leave will be given an MIA status.
[11] Characters with an MIA status will be left behind in the RP.
[12] Characters with an MIA status for one month will be removed from the roster and the player will have to reapply.
[13] Obviously, Original Characters cannot be played by anyone else unless their current player allows it.
[14] Even if they're MIA.
[15] That's not cool.
[16] I'm serious.
[17] If you're caught trying to use someone else's character without their express permission, you will be ejected from the RP after one warning and a VERY stern talk.
[18] Death is permanent, but no character can die until the player who plays said character gives the okay. If a character gets into a dire situation and the player wants to avoid death, measures can be taken. I need to be PMed in this case.
[19] All characters should be able to get sick, except in the case of characters that do not have normal human skin.
[20] If you would like to leave anything unknown to the rest of the players and have these things revealed later, fill out an application skeleton with the unknowns marked as vague or otherwise in the app itself (It must be known that there are unknown things about the character!) and then send the completed application to me via PM. Once I have approved it, the application posted here will go into the character list and as the unknowns are figured out, the application will be filled out.
[21] Please look here for powers I would prefer to keep out of the roleplay. This particular post may get edited at any time, so please keep an eye on it. Keep in mind also these are generalizations of powers, and not specifics. If you are unsure if a power will be fine to use, PM it to me! Don't be afraid, I don't bite. Hard.
[22] If any powers would cause effects to other characters, the players of said characters need to be notified of this (either through the application or through PMing during any battle). Players can not use this information to the characters' advantage. Maintain the IC/OOC divide.
[23] Limit two characters per player. They can be in different factions.

The year is 2302, and the (currently unnamed) metropolis in the United States is in turmoil. 50 years earlier, a band of superheroes rose up and defended the metropolis from a crime syndicate, and wiped them out. However, it was short lived, as in the year 2300, a band of supervillains rose up, some from the crime syndicate and some from outside sources and made a nearby city into their headquarters. Now, two years after, the metropolis an its surrounding cities are in danger, and the band of superheroes (as well as other heroes unaffiliated with them) must stop the impending assault from the supervillains and the newly revived crime syndicate known only as GARNET.

(Overused stolen quote here) Fight, superheroes! For Everlasting Peace!

Here is the basic outline for your signup and what is required:

Player name: That's your name, not your character name.
Name: Character's name, western order.
Age and Gender: Should be between 16-30.
Loyalty: League of Superheroes, League of Supervillains, Crime Syndicate, or None (working alone, vigilante, etc.)
Appearance: Describe how your character looks, if they have a suit for their saving/taking over the day or not, minimum three sentences.
Personality: Give us a bit about how your character normally acts, their likes/dislikes, their moral strengths and weaknesses, their goals and fears. Minimum one paragraph (5 complete sentences).
Superpower(s): Give us at least one superpower that your character has. (Things such as super brains and simple strength are fine. Not all characters have to have superpowers, but it won't be very fun if not, will it?)
History: Optional. If you wish to inform us of your character's backstory, please do so here. Minimum one paragraph (5 complete sentences). If you wish to use a vague history, the one paragraph minimum does not apply.
Anything else?: Optional. If you have something you want to talk about considering your character that isn't mentioned anywhere else in the outline, please do so here. No minimum length.

Spoiler: Character list!
Player name: Xero Wright
Name: Alia (last name unknown)
Age and Gender: 18
Loyalty: League of Superheroes
Appearance: Alia is a rather small girl, standing short at four and a half feet. She has dark red hair, and normally wears tie-dye shirts, blue jeans, and sandals. She wears spherical earrings but no other piercings are visible.
Personality: Alia is a shy and quiet girl, preferring to keep to herself when not in conversation with others. She hides her past and does not ever wish to speak about it, and will do her best to avoid it. Otherwise she is kind and tries to be helpful to those in need. She tries to make friends and keep them as best she can, but her lack of social skills make this incredibly difficult. Not much else is known about the way she acts, however, due to the fact that it takes her a while to warm up to people before being her kind self. As she seemingly has no other powers but to fly, Alia tends to be more of a supportive role than that of a fighter.
Superpower(s): The only known superpower that Alia has is the ability to fly. She has not shown any other types, but it is known that she has at least a couple other powers.
History: Alia's history is, as explained before, very vague and unknown. The only thing that has ever come out about it was that she lost her family, and has been without family for the last two or three years.
Anything else?: Not yet!

One note, there is no 'leader' for the League of the superheroes. And the 'leader' of the league of supervillains is already taken as an NPC. So don't ask. :P

And the names of the leagues and syndicate will be made later.

Have at it! Any questions may be asked in this thread or PMed to me. I will be submitting my own outlines later.
Proud supporter of Phoenix/Iris, past, present and future
Thank you Elriel! :D

Last edited by Xero Wright on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
Re: Age of Heroes Signup/OOC ThreadTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Registering Interest, will think up characters later.

What about multiple character per person? Say I wanted a villain and a hero?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Registering Interest, will think up characters later.

What about multiple character per person? Say I wanted a villain and a hero?

Oh, dur, I should've put up the character limit.

I'd say for now 2 per person is the limit, and playing both a villain and a hero is perfectly fine. If we get enough interest I'll raise the cap to 3.

In Justice We Trust

When and where does the RP take place?
I'll always love you, Max.

General Luigi wrote:
When and where does the RP take place?

The 'where' will be decided at a later point when I have more time to write out the worldbuilding stuff.

As for a general timeframe, assume this is somewhere around the year 2300, set in our own world. Currently we have no explanation of how the superpowers came to be, and that may or may not be explained in the story itself.

In Justice We Trust

Should I assume the same national borders as in the present day, or have things changed? For that matter, if the map has changed, do you already have one planned out, or do you plan on giving the players free reign to create countries of origin for their respective characters?

I'm only asking because I'm thinking of creating a character from Central Asia, and I want to know how much freedom of movement I have when it comes to her place of origin.

General Luigi wrote:
Should I assume the same national borders as in the present day, or have things changed? For that matter, if the map has changed, do you already have one planned out, or do you plan on giving the players free reign to create countries of origin for their respective characters?

I'm only asking because I'm thinking of creating a character from Central Asia, and I want to know how much freedom of movement I have when it comes to her place of origin.

I think we can allow for free reign of creating counties of origin, but I think it'd also be safe to assume most the national borders are the same, for at least all well known countries and regions. There could be some 'new' countries wedged in somewhere but the 'world map' is not ever going to really be displayed as this RP takes place in a central metropolis and its surrounding cities.

So I think some free reign is good, and using other countries to establish a locale for new countries of origin is even better.

For example: 'Somewhere south of Russia' 'Just shy east of the Europe/Asia line'

You can tell how unprepared I am right now... ahahaha

In Justice We Trust

All the more reason for me to ask these questions in the thread, then. Are there any potentially RP-breaking powers that should be avoided?

General Luigi wrote:
All the more reason for me to ask these questions in the thread, then. Are there any potentially RP-breaking powers that should be avoided?

Hm. I'd personally like to avoid any powers that directly affect other characters directly (such as any powers that could allow a person to 'move' another person) should be avoided. Powers that move objects to attack are fine. (This includes 'Magneto' type powers affecting characters with metallic bodies or body parts; if it can move a person without their consent, it should not be used for that purpose.)

Also any 'huge explosion' esque Flandre Scarlet-type attacks should be avoided at all costs. Explosions made from nothing, mind you, as I've seen these before.

Mind-reading powers should also be avoided as that requires knowledge that the player cannot normally obtain.

Any powers involving teleporting should have a cooldown.

And any particularly destructive powers that can level buildings or intersections in a single bound should be HEAVILY toned down; we don't want the metropolis or the surrounding cities destroyed in one day!

In Justice We Trust

What are the rules as far as death is concerned?

General Luigi wrote:
What are the rules as far as death is concerned?

As with most RPs I do on forums, death is permanent. No superhero or supervillain has special treatment in this category.

So I would advise thinking carefully before trying to get your character(s) killed. This isn't Dragonball Z, there's no Eternal Dragon to bring you back.

That being said, if your characters get into dire situations and you'd prefer them not die, measures can be taken to prevent this. But it's better to be on the safe side and try NOT letting that happen if possible.

In Justice We Trust

So in other words, I have the final say on whether or not my character dies unless I do something that warrants my getting kicked out of the RP.

General Luigi wrote:
So in other words, I have the final say on whether or not my character dies unless I do something that warrants my getting kicked out of the RP.

Yep.

Lida_Rose has sent in multiple questions, and the answers to these will be posted on the rules. Please take the time and re-read over them.

In Justice We Trust

I've looked over the updated rules, and I have a question that the updates didn't answer. You said it's the year 2300 (or very close to it) in this RP. What kind of technological improvements have we seen? The character I'm working on doesn't really have any powers that harm anyone on their own, so I'm thinking it would make sense for her to have some sort of weapon (such as a gun) for situations in which she needs to actually do direct damage.

We've seen quite a few, from robots (some with AI and some without) able to defend and attack (which are, as usual, generally laughable against supervillains), as well as major advancements in armed weaponry. I'll leave it to the players to create weapons that can be used, though. As it is 300 or a little less years from our current time, I leave it to the imagination. I will say that advancements have made it where if a superhero or supervillain needed to they could modify weapons to great effect. Whether it's changing the type of ammo it uses, to how fast or slow it fires, to even what's IN the ammo. (Of course, that's if it's a gun. If it's just a ranged weapon such as an automatic crossbow or something, again, that's up to your imagination. 300 years can see a -TON- of technological advances.)

Of course, any superhero/supervillain that doesn't have thick skin or good dodging abilities may have trouble against the military robots.

--

I also updated the main post with a very basic outline of the story. It'll get updated tomorrow. It's just to set up the three factions and put the year and basic situation out there.

And my first character is now visible on the character list on the first post.

In Justice We Trust

Does the League of Superheroes have a base of operations?

Yep, in one of the tall buildings in the center of the metropolis. After all, defending the city for 50 years means the populace was well aware of their existence. No need to actually hide that.

You’re so small in such a big world...

Okay, let's give this a shot!

Player name: Lida_Rose
Name: Real name is currently unknown. Alias: The Grim Reaper
Age and Gender: Male, age currently unknown.
Loyalty: None.
Appearance: The Grim Reaper is always seen wearing the same thing, regardless of weather: a full face mask, a turtleneck, gloves, long pants, and boots. Not much is known about his general appearance besides the fact that he has long, black-ish gray-ish hair and cadaver gray eyes.
Personality: Not much is known about The Grim Reaper's personality, either, though there are rumors that, when he's not wandering the streets, he lives in isolation outside of the city. He is a loner with no sense of loyalty, so they say. They describe him as silent, but deadly. How much about this is true is unknown.
Superpower(s): His super power is that he has poison barbs in his skin that are not seen by the naked eye. Direct physical contact with The Grim Reaper's skin will cause illness that will last a few days. How extreme the illness is depends on who touches him. Direct contact consists of skin touching skin. His other powers are unknown.
History: Not much is known about the Grim Reaper's history. There are rumors that he is a hermit, wandering from town to town, metropolis to metropolis, causing "plagues" wherever he steps, and the reason he is always alone is because his parents banished him from their home after discovering his powers. Are they true?
Anything else?: Nothing yet.
Avatar drawn by MC_Kitten, edited by Slezak

In Justice We Trust

Is this acceptable, Xero?
Spoiler: character, first draft
Player Name: General Luigi

Character’s Real Name: CLASSIFIED

Character’s Super Name: Marshal Eagle (previously went by Shadow)

Loyalty: Republic of Kazakhstan, but works for the League of Superheroes as part of a diplomatic agreement

Appearance: Eagle is 164cm (a bit shorter than 5’5”), has wavy shoulder-length black hair (technically very dark brown) that she usually keeps in a bun, dark brown eyes, medium olive skin, and a slender body with narrow hips, narrow shoulders, and small breasts (in other words, she’s more of a stick than an hourglass). Her exact ethnic composition is uncertain, but she is mostly Koryo-saram and Kazakh. Her super suit is essentially a black military dress uniform (with pants, not a skirt) with gold cuffs, buttons, epaulettes, etc.

Personality: Eagle is very kindhearted and loves to help others, spending much of her time doing what she can to help the city’s residents when she isn’t working directly with the League. She’s generally distant and formal toward non-supers, albeit not out of any sort of prejudice; rather, she doesn’t want to grow attached to anyone her enemies could easily harm, as she wants to always be evenhanded in her actions. For the most part, she’s a loner and prefers solitude and silence to crowds and noise. Those who have the pleasure of getting close to her know she’s actually very sweet, even sociable from time to time. That said, she does have a bit of a mischievous streak and sometimes uses her illusions and invisibility powers to mess with her friends—or humiliate troublemakers.

Primary Superpower: Light Manipulation. As long as she is conscious, Eagle can use this power. Physical restraint, paralysis, and the like do not prevent her from using it. This power is essentially several lesser powers rolled into one:

• Light Redirection: Eagle can redirect any light that passes within around ten meters of her. This power has the potential to shine light behind an object or redirect light-based attacks. It should be pointed out that since light travels at the speed of, well, light, such attacks can’t actually be seen before they hit their target, so while she might be able to quickly deflect a laser that hits her, she’d still get hurt by it during the brief time between when it hits her and when she redirects it. More often, she uses this to help her and her allies’ light-based attacks go around obstacles.
  • Visual Illusion: Eagle can change the appearance of anyone or anything within around ten meters of her. The illusion only deceives the eyes and any machines that rely on light, however. If she were to disguise a cat as an elephant, for example, a bird could theoretically fly through the elephant’s head. Note that this does not mean anyone more than ten meters away would see through the illusion.
  • Invisibility: Technically, Eagle doesn’t make things invisible, but rather warps the light around them to make it look as though nothing is there. As with the illusion power, it’s limited to within around ten meters of her. By combining it with her visual illusion power, she can hide not only herself, but also any footprints she might leave, any rain that her body deflects, and so on, as long as it’s within range. Also, as with the illusion, people more than ten meters from Eagle will still be unable to see anything she is concealing.
  • Light Amplification: Eagle can make any light emitted from a source within ten meters of her much more intense. Typically, she uses this power to strengthen light-based weapons (such as lasers) used by her and her comrades. In theory, she could use this to make even the beam from a flashlight capable of harming an enemy, but there’s a limit to how much she can amplify light, meaning something more powerful, such as a weapons-grade laser, benefits far more from this power.
  • Zone of Darkness: Eagle can create a “zone of darkness” around any area within around ten meters of her. Light can neither enter nor exit this zone, making people within it unable to see anything outside it and making people outside it unable to see anything within or behind it. It also doubles as a shield that blocks all light-based attacks.
  • Light Portal: Eagle can warp light to create a two-way portal of sorts anywhere within around fifty meters of her. This portal only transfers light, however, so even if she can see that two people in a building are talking, for example, she can’t hear what they’re saying. Also, the portal works both ways, so if those people realize the portal is there, they can see Eagle through it. She can technically use her invisibility power to hide the portal from other people, but only if the portal is within range of her invisibility power.
  • It should be pointed out that because Eagle’s powers manipulate existing light rather than create light from scratch, this power is of no use to her if there is light for her to use in the first place.

Secondary Superpower: Steppe Eagle Form. Eagle can transform into a Steppe Eagle, gaining all its abilities and weaknesses. Transformation takes around ten seconds, though she is still capable of moving and manipulating light while transforming. Also, as I implicitly said when describing her light manipulation power, she can still manipulate light in her eagle form. For reference, she can fly at around 50 km/h (about 30 mph) in this form. If she really pushes herself, she can pull off up to around 80 km/h (about 50 mph), but only for quick bursts lest she tire herself out. In this form, she cannot speak, though she can use her light manipulation powers to create illusions of writing as a means of communication.

Background: Eagle is purposefully vague about her past; she has family and friends who could be hurt if her true identity were revealed to her enemies. What is known is that she is originally from Kazakhstan and is connected to their military. During the Fifth Reactionary Rebellion, Eagle was part of the Super Platoon, a unit in the Kazakhstani Ground Forces composed entirely of supers. The Super Platoon played a key role in the victory at Qapchagay and the death of Altın Tängir (Golden Tengri in English), the supervillain who led the rebellion. Following the rebels’ surrender in 2298, it was discovered that Golden Tengri had received aid from an organization of supervillains based in the United States. For two years, the Kazakhstani government tried to get permission from the American government to let Eagle enter the country to investigate, but they were unable to do so because the Americans wanted information on Eagle’s identity, which the Kazakhstanis refused to give. Finally, when the supervillains surfaced in 2300, the American government relented on its demands and allowed Eagle to enter the country without revealing her identity, but on the condition that she work with the League of Superheroes based in the United States during her time there.

Anything else?: Because her powers are otherwise limited in their combat applications, Eagle typically has with her a QT-126, a laser pistol that she had as a sidearm during her time in the Kazakhstani Ground Forces. Her ability to amplify light enables her to make the pistol’s beam far more powerful than normal.

I'll PM you some additional information on her background once any issues you might have with what I've shown you so far have been addressed; no point in sending it right now if I'm going to have to change it to reflect changes in the next draft.

Looks good for both of you!

Gettin' Old!

Player name: Pierre
Name: Thomas Andrews
Alias: Fireball
Age and Gender: 20

Appearance: A short young man of 5ft 8. Has hair dyed red and bright yellow on alternating sides (like how Blackquill's is split) with a large colourful tuft pointing up where the dyes intermingle in the middle. He wears coloured contact lenses to match his hair in his respective eyes ( Red/Yellow). Preferred casual wear is cargo shorts with a light, blue denim jacket over a light logo-less top of varying light colours. Superhero outfit is dual-coloured spandex to match his hair however he also wears a heavy crash helmet with a black visor to conceal his face with fire insignias emblazoned on the sides. A relic of his circus days.

Personality: Thomas is a loyal but quiet individual, he has learned that society isn't always accepting and so tends to keep to himself most of the time. In spite of this he believes humanity is worth saving and is prepared to fight evil where he encounters it. He is strong in that he is tolerant and accepting of others in an attempt to set an example. He is weak in that he can be easily provoked having a specific hatred of prejudice. He also lacks experience having led a somewhat limited and sheltered life so far and so is hesitant and unsure of a lot of things in the world. His personal pastimes include lounging around on quiet buildings with low light-pollution, working with pyrotechnics and art.

Superpower(s): Primary: Thomas can create localised force explosions at limited range and around his own body. Thus creating invisible bursts of force at will. For example Thomas could propel himself skywards by creating a force explosion on the soles of his feet. He could add extra emphasis to a punch by having a force explosion at his elbow propelling his fist into a foe with hydraulic force and then an extra attack by detonating a force at the end of his fist to send the villain away. The drawback is this skill requires some degree of concentration and so some tasks are currently things he cannot do. He could use a series of explosions to propel him through the air indefinitely but he wouldn't be able to shoot at a foe or arrange some coordinated attack while doing so. He also couldn't use it defensively to block a fast-moving projectile as he doesn't have the concentration to match the timing to propel a projectile away from his body with force.

Secondary Superpower: Durability, considering the violent force involved in the nature of his main ability, whiplash and dislocation is a real cause for concern. Fortunately Thomas also appears exceptionally durable to sudden forces leaving him unaffected by his own powers. This also grants him some resistance to outside blunt forces that would impact upon him. A fist hitting him would not have much effect as it much like the own forces he exerts upon himself but a stab wound is a different matter.

History: Born with powers he couldn't control Thomas caused an untold amount of destruction around the household as his poor family tried to raise him. However fearing for what others would say and do they kept Thomas inside and refused to let him attend school or go outside. His father also gave him hell while he was inside the house subjecting Thomas to insults and abuse, as his father was the one who paid for the repairs to damage Thomas caused around the house while his mother ensured Thomas stayed inside and secret. Given his lack of alternate activities and the prospect of punishment Thomas worked on controlling his abilities until one day at age 12 Thomas snuck outside and controlling his powers as best as he could he propelled himself as far away as he could blacking out in midair. When he awoke he found himself outside of town in the care of a passing circus. For the next 7 years of his life he spent time helping out and travelling with the circus, finding the people there especially pleasant and welcoming and like him, not always welcome in the eyes of society. His powers made him a natural at the human cannonball act as the ringmaster had him fired into all kinds of solid material without a scratch to be made on his body. Due to his training with the circus as a cannon engineer he has a knowledge of homemade explosives and pyrotechnics needed for running such an operation. One night over drinks with the staff he realises it's his duty to make best of his gifts and try and make a difference in the chaotic cities the circus avoids, much like the circus makes best of it's gifts to bring joy to others in these dark times. So with a little financial support from the ringmaster and his friends he leaves with his costume one night for the League of Superheroes determined to make a difference in the world and do his best to bring joy to others where he could.

Other: Opts to fight with his abilities where possible for concussive damage but can go into battle armed with explosives if he needs a little more collateral damage. An experienced brawler from clearing out drunks and troublemakers who would bother the circus and friendly bouts with the strong men. Hasn't had much chance at formal education and that didn't change with circus life and so while he can recognise some nouns that he would experience in day to day life he cannot actually read or write, a secret that he tries to hide in the high-class world of the city. In spite of his illiteracy he had a great deal of time to himself at home and so is quite good at painting and art and is capable of repairing clothes with needle and thread.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Hello again everyone! Signups have reopened for this RP. All previous character submissions have been taken off the roster and must be re-submitted before they can be on the roster.

Any questions can be asked here just like when this was originally set up. I'm hoping to get this RP underway in a few days.

You’re so small in such a big world...

So...If I PMed you about my charrie, do I have to do that again as well?

Oh, and here's my resubmission of my profile:

Player name: Lida_Rose

Name: Real name is currently unknown. Alias: The Grim Reaper

Age and Gender: Male, age currently unknown.

Loyalty: None.

Appearance: The Grim Reaper is always seen wearing the same thing, regardless of weather: a full face mask, a turtleneck, gloves, long pants, and boots. Not much is known about his general appearance besides the fact that he has long, black-ish gray-ish hair and cadaver gray eyes.

Personality: Not much is known about The Grim Reaper's personality, either, though there are rumors that, when he's not wandering the streets, he lives in isolation outside of the city. He is a loner with no sense of loyalty, so they say. They describe him as silent, but deadly. How much about this is true is unknown.

Superpower(s): His super power is that he has poison barbs in his skin that are not seen by the naked eye. Direct physical contact with The Grim Reaper's skin will cause illness that will last a few days. How extreme the illness is depends on who touches him. Direct contact consists of skin touching skin. His other powers are unknown.

History: Not much is known about the Grim Reaper's history. There are rumors that he is a hermit, wandering from town to town, metropolis to metropolis, causing "plagues" wherever he steps, and the reason he is always alone is because his parents banished him from their home after discovering his powers. Are they true?

Anything else?: Nothing yet.
Avatar drawn by MC_Kitten, edited by Slezak

Last edited by Lida_Rose on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, you do have to re-PM me to ensure that I've got the secret info you don't want to openly share.

Gettin' Old!

Ta-Daa!

Pierre wrote:
Player name: Pierre
Name: Thomas Andrews
Alias: Fireball
Age and Gender: 20

Appearance: A short young man of 5ft 8. Has hair dyed red and bright yellow on alternating sides (like how Blackquill's is split) with a large colourful tuft pointing up where the dyes intermingle in the middle. He wears coloured contact lenses to match his hair in his respective eyes ( Red/Yellow). Preferred casual wear is cargo shorts with a light, blue denim jacket over a light logo-less top of varying light colours. Superhero outfit is dual-coloured spandex to match his hair however he also wears a heavy crash helmet with a black visor to conceal his face with fire insignias emblazoned on the sides. A relic of his circus days.

Personality: Thomas is a loyal but quiet individual, he has learned that society isn't always accepting and so tends to keep to himself most of the time. In spite of this he believes humanity is worth saving and is prepared to fight evil where he encounters it. He is strong in that he is tolerant and accepting of others in an attempt to set an example. He is weak in that he can be easily provoked having a specific hatred of prejudice. He also lacks experience having led a somewhat limited and sheltered life so far and so is hesitant and unsure of a lot of things in the world. His personal pastimes include lounging around on quiet buildings with low light-pollution, working with pyrotechnics and art.

Superpower(s): Primary: Thomas can create localised force explosions at limited range and around his own body. Thus creating invisible bursts of force at will. For example Thomas could propel himself skywards by creating a force explosion on the soles of his feet. He could add extra emphasis to a punch by having a force explosion at his elbow propelling his fist into a foe with hydraulic force and then an extra attack by detonating a force at the end of his fist to send the villain away. The drawback is this skill requires some degree of concentration and so some tasks are currently things he cannot do. He could use a series of explosions to propel him through the air indefinitely but he wouldn't be able to shoot at a foe or arrange some coordinated attack while doing so. He also couldn't use it defensively to block a fast-moving projectile as he doesn't have the concentration to match the timing to propel a projectile away from his body with force.

Secondary Superpower: Durability, considering the violent force involved in the nature of his main ability, whiplash and dislocation is a real cause for concern. Fortunately Thomas also appears exceptionally durable to sudden forces leaving him unaffected by his own powers. This also grants him some resistance to outside blunt forces that would impact upon him. A fist hitting him would not have much effect as it much like the own forces he exerts upon himself but a stab wound is a different matter.

History: Born with powers he couldn't control Thomas caused an untold amount of destruction around the household as his poor family tried to raise him. However fearing for what others would say and do they kept Thomas inside and refused to let him attend school or go outside. His father also gave him hell while he was inside the house subjecting Thomas to insults and abuse, as his father was the one who paid for the repairs to damage Thomas caused around the house while his mother ensured Thomas stayed inside and secret. Given his lack of alternate activities and the prospect of punishment Thomas worked on controlling his abilities until one day at age 12 Thomas snuck outside and controlling his powers as best as he could he propelled himself as far away as he could blacking out in midair. When he awoke he found himself outside of town in the care of a passing circus. For the next 7 years of his life he spent time helping out and travelling with the circus, finding the people there especially pleasant and welcoming and like him, not always welcome in the eyes of society. His powers made him a natural at the human cannonball act as the ringmaster had him fired into all kinds of solid material without a scratch to be made on his body. Due to his training with the circus as a cannon engineer he has a knowledge of homemade explosives and pyrotechnics needed for running such an operation. One night over drinks with the staff he realises it's his duty to make best of his gifts and try and make a difference in the chaotic cities the circus avoids, much like the circus makes best of it's gifts to bring joy to others in these dark times. So with a little financial support from the ringmaster and his friends he leaves with his costume one night for the League of Superheroes determined to make a difference in the world and do his best to bring joy to others where he could.

Other: Opts to fight with his abilities where possible for concussive damage but can go into battle armed with explosives if he needs a little more collateral damage. An experienced brawler from clearing out drunks and troublemakers who would bother the circus and friendly bouts with the strong men. Hasn't had much chance at formal education and that didn't change with circus life and so while he can recognise some nouns that he would experience in day to day life he cannot actually read or write, a secret that he tries to hide in the high-class world of the city. In spite of his illiteracy he had a great deal of time to himself at home and so is quite good at painting and art and is capable of repairing clothes with needle and thread.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

In Justice We Trust

This hiatus of yours has proven convenient in my case, as I've decided to revise my character.

Spoiler: My Character
Player Name: General Luigi
Character’s Super Name: Shadow (Kölengqe in her native language)
Loyalty: Republic of Kazakhstan, but works for the League of Superheroes as part of a diplomatic agreement

Appearance:

Shadow is 164cm (a bit shorter than 5’5”), has wavy shoulder-length black hair (technically very dark brown) that she usually keeps in a bun, dark brown eyes, medium olive skin, and a slender body with narrow hips, narrow shoulders, and small breasts (in other words, she’s more of a stick than an hourglass). Her exact ethnic composition is uncertain, but she is mostly Koryo-saram and Kazakh. Her super suit is essentially a black military dress uniform (with pants, not a skirt) with gold cuffs, buttons, epaulettes, etc. There is one addition, though: she has gold-colored mechanical gauntlets covering her hands.

Personality:

There are arguably two sides to Shadow. The first is the personality she exhibits toward non-supers and strangers. She tends to be distant and formal toward anyone she doesn’t know and doesn’t make any effort to get to know them better. Though kindhearted and willing to go out of her way to help other people, her actions come off as more akin to a government bureaucrat providing a service due than someone helping people out of the kindness of her heart. This is in part due to her upbringing; as a super, she has been taught that anyone close to her is someone her enemies might harm to get to her. As a result, immediate family notwithstanding (and even then, she almost never sees them lest her enemies figure out the connection), she doesn’t currently have any personal connections to non-supers. Her general unwillingness to so much as strike up a conversation with any of the non-supers she has helped and/or worked with has led to her being seen as cold. Some even suspect that she is prejudiced against non-supers.

The other side of her is only seen by those she is close to. Despite her cold exterior, she’s actually quite sweet—even sociable—when it comes to her friends, although she tends to prefer to avoid crowds and noise. Her idea of a good time is a quiet night at home with some close friends as opposed to a night on the town partying. She also has a bit of a mischievous streak, sometimes using her illusions and invisibility powers to mess with her friends.

Superpower: Light Manipulation. As long as she is conscious, Shadow can use this power. Physical restraint, paralysis, and the like do not prevent her from using it. This power is essentially several lesser powers rolled into one:

• Light Redirection: Shadow can redirect any light that passes within around ten meters of her. This power has the potential to shine light behind an object or redirect light-based attacks. It should be pointed out that since light travels at the speed of, well, light, such attacks can’t actually be seen before they hit their target, so while she might be able to quickly deflect a laser that hits her, she’d still get hurt by it during the brief time between when it hits her and when she redirects it. More often, she uses this to help her and her allies’ light-based attacks go around obstacles. That said, if she warps the light around her to prevent any light from hitting her (more details under invisibility), she can preemptively render herself invulnerable to light-based attacks .
  • Visual Illusion: Shadow can change the appearance of anyone or anything within around fifty meters of her. The illusion only deceives the eyes and any machines that rely on light, however. If she were to disguise a cat as an elephant, for example, a bird could theoretically fly through the elephant’s head. Note that this does not mean anyone more than ten meters away would see through the illusion.
  • Invisibility: Technically, Shadow doesn’t make things invisible, but rather warps the light around them to make it look as though nothing is there. As with the illusion power, it’s limited to within around ten meters of her. By combining it with her visual illusion power, she can hide not only herself, but also any footprints she might leave, any rain that her body deflects, and so on, as long as it’s within range. Also, as with the illusion, people more than ten meters from Shadow will still be unable to see anything she is concealing. A benefit of this power is that anything she renders invisible is also invulnerable to any light-based attacks since the attacks would just go around them.
  • Light Amplification: Shadow can make any light emitted from a source within ten meters of her much more intense. Typically, she uses this power to strengthen light-based weapons (such as lasers) used by her and her comrades. In theory, she could use this to make even the beam from a flashlight capable of harming an enemy, but there’s a limit to how much she can amplify light, meaning something more powerful, such as a weapons-grade laser, benefits far more from this power.
  • Light Portal: Shadow can warp light to create a two-way portal of sorts anywhere within around fifty meters of her. This portal only transfers light, however, so even if she can see that two people in a building are talking, for example, she can’t hear what they’re saying. Also, the portal works both ways, so if those people realize the portal is there, they can see Shadow through it.

Weaknesses: Shadow doesn’t have any kryptonite-style weaknesses. Rather, her weaknesses are the limitations of her powers.

• Because Shadow’s powers manipulate existing light rather than create light from scratch, her powers are of no use to her if there is no light for her to use in the first place.
  • Since light generates a negligible amount of force in most situations, Shadow can’t use her powers to “put some distance” between her and her enemies. Light-based weapons (such as lasers) hurt people through intense heat.
  • Any light that goes around Shadow when she is invisible is not hitting her. As such, the “invisibility bubble” is an area of absolute darkness unless there is something emitting light within the bubble, in which case she can only see whatever else is inside the bubble. The same holds true for anyone else inside the bubble.

Background:

Shadow is purposefully vague about her past; she has family and friends who could be hurt if her true identity were revealed to her enemies. What is known is that she is originally from Kazakhstan and is connected to their military. During the Anarchist Insurrection, Shadow was part of the Super Platoon, a unit in the Kazakhstani Ground Forces composed entirely of supers. The Super Platoon played a key role in the major victories at Astana, Lake Alakol, and Qapchagay and the death of Altın Tängir (Golden Tengri in English), the supervillain who led the uprising. Following the rebels’ surrender in 2298, it was discovered that Tengri had received aid from an organization of supervillains based in the United States. For two years, the Kazakhstani government tried to get permission from the American government to let Shadow enter the country to investigate, but they were unable to do so because the Americans wanted information on Shadow’s identity, which the Kazakhstanis considered a deal-breaker. Finally, when the supervillains surfaced in 2300, the American government relented on its demands and allowed Shadow to enter the country without revealing her identity, but on the condition that she work with the League of Superheroes based in the United States during her time there.

Anything else?:

Shadow’s gauntlets have miniature laser guns mounted on their backs. Under normal circumstances, the beams would be slightly weaker than a regular laser pistol’s beam, but thanks to Shadow’s ability to amplify light, each beam’s power can be comparable to that of the main laser on a Russian T-581 main battle tank. The index finger on each hand also contains a miniature flashlight which she can amplify in order to blind enemies or illuminate large areas. Thanks to neural implants, she can activate both the lasers and the flashlights by thought. She also has in her possession a QT-126, a laser pistol that she used as a sidearm during her time in the Super Platoon, and which is more powerful than her gauntlets, thus enabling an even more powerful beam with her powers. She doesn’t normally use it, though, and prefers to keep it concealed, only keeping it around as a contingency just in case she’s deprived of the use of her gauntlets.

I've also opted to include some information on a now-dead character who is relevant to my character's past--assuming that is acceptable, Xero.

Spoiler: Dead character
Character’s Super Name: Golden Tengri
Loyalty: Unknown, but he was known to have received aid from the League of Supervillains.

Appearance:

Tengri was 187cm (a bit shorter than 6’2”), had straight black hair, dark brown eyes, medium tan skin, and a wide body with broad shoulders (think your typical American football player). He was of primarily Kazakh descent. His super suit was a bright red futuristic variation on the armor worn by medieval-era Kazakh khans.

Personality:

Tengri was known to have no interest in the personal affairs of others unless they somehow involved him. He was generally condescending toward those he perceived as weaker than him, and as his plans began to unravel, he grew increasingly hostile toward them, believing that their weakness was dragging him and other “strong people” like him down.

Background:

A super with flight and fire-based powers by the name of Altın Tängir (Golden Tengri) first surfaced in 2282. His identity and life before 2282 are Kazakhstani state secrets; the only people outside of the government with this information are his family, though their identities are unknown to the public due to the government’s practice of altering known supers’ DNA records as a safeguard for their families. Tengri had no interest in helping other people, preferring to only use his powers for himself. For several years, this caused no problems, as while he never bothered to help other people, he also took care not to do anything that could get him in trouble with the law. Starting in 2288, however, he began associating with an anarcho-capitalist group that vocally condemned the Kazakhstani government and its policies.

Adhering to the view that the state was stifling people’s potential to excel, Tengri began supporting open rebellion. In 2290, the government arrested several members of the movement for attempting to incite rebellion. Tengri evaded arrest, however, and began openly calling for a rebellion, a call answered by the other members of the movement who had not been arrested. Simply branding themselves the Freedom Fighters, the rebels rose up in Qarağandı in the beginning of 2291 thanks in large part to Tengri’s powers. The rebels were able to win several early battles despite being outnumbered, even threatening Astana, though Tengri’s attempted assault on the city was successfully repulsed in large part thanks to the Super Platoon, their powers effectively nullifying the advantage Tengri gave his own forces.

After the defeat outside Astana, Kazakhstani forces successfully recaptured Qarağandı, putting the “Freedom Fighters” on the run. What followed for the next seven years was a series of hit-and-run strikes on villages and small towns by the rebels, seizing what they could, destroying whatever they couldn’t, and fleeing the instant government forces moved to respond. During this time, the rebels avoided combat whenever possible; skirmishes with armed civilians and police forces notwithstanding, the rebels only gave Kazakhstani forces a proper battle when retreat was not an option. The inability of his forces to pose an actual threat after losing Qarağandı led Tengri to become even more extreme in his views than most of the people who initially supported the rebellion. He came to view non-supers as inherently weak and doomed to either serve or be killed by supers in his ideal world. Though he refrained from sharing his views with the other rebels, the shift in his perception shone through in changes to his rhetoric. Whereas before, he stressed the freedom to excel without being “held back by the weak,” he now began emphasizing how “the eternally weak are doomed to serve the strong or suffer at their hands.” Some rebels began attempting to abandon Tengri’s cause—he killed any he caught.

At some point while on the run, Tengri contacted an organization of supervillains in the United States, requesting their aid and promising support for any future plans of theirs. Dama Pik (the Queen of Spades in English) and Perun (a supervillain who took the name of an ancient Slavic god), two supervillains originally operating in Russia, were sent to aid Tengri in his campaign in rather than continue their operations in Russia, joining up with his forces in 2298. Confident they could now face the Super Platoon on equal footing, the rebels finally gave the government forces a proper battle around Lake Alakol. The battle was a crushing defeat; though nine members of the Super Platoon were killed and four more wounded, both Dama Pik and Perun were killed in the battle and more than half of the rebels were killed or wounded. The League of Supervillains withdrew their support for Tengri’s cause after learning of the defeat. Tengri’s forces were cornered two days later at Qapchagay, where many of the remaining rebels broke ranks and surrendered. Tengri himself was killed by a gunship squadron as he desperately tried to keep his forces from abandoning him. The few rebels that carried on the fight were all killed or captured.

Gettin' Old!

Please mighty Xero, let you still exist and approve this RP, I am dying for a new place to burn words.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Keepin' it stylish!

Hey guys can I join in on the fun?
Page 1 of 1 [ 28 posts ] 

Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay » Signups and OOC Threads