Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 6 of 6[ 224 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Re: SO WHO'S READY TO GUESS EVERYONE'S ENGLISH NAMES???Topic%20Title

Definitely not confirmed. He was never present in any promotional material.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

nearsightedwaddledee wrote:
You know, from what I've been hearing.......

Spoiler:
Aoi Daichi is going to be John Madden. Buuuuut one can never trust Tumblr.... :nick:

This just reminded me of a certain wild fan crossover:
Spoiler:

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Procrastinating...

Sligneris wrote:
Definitely not confirmed. He was never present in any promotional material.

The thing is this: some random person at Tumblr claimed that his/her dad was an employee at Capcom, and he told him/her that. Kinda far-fetched if you ask me. :payne:
So... How's life?

Sounds fake. I mean, "I am an company's employee" or "I am part of employee's family" are the most ancient tales ever...

Art Person

So, It's been confirmed;
Hozumi Kaku's English name is:
Candice Arme

(Thank you review copies of digital releases! Source)

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

SuperAj3 wrote:
So, It's been confirmed;
Candice Arme

I think I figured out the puns in the case 1 names:
Spoiler: Case 1
Ted Tonate = Detonate
Candice Arme = Can disarm

POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

We are one

aplab23207 wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:
So, It's been confirmed;
Candice Arme

I think I figured out the puns in the case 1 names:
Spoiler: Case 1
Ted Tonate = Detonate
Candice Arme = Can disarm

Yeah! Such a logical pun. :will:

We are one

Sorry for the double post, but I was right in the name of Athena Cykes's mother.
Her name is really Metis Cykes.

Spoiler:
And BTW, I know why Uchuu Oogawara is named Yuri Cosmos.
Yuri is from the Soviet astronaut Yuri Gagarin who was the first human in the space. Cosmos is from the Ancient Greek kosmos which means "world, universe".

Any objection?

Yuri, heheheh :3

Wotter boy

Sligneris wrote:
Yuri, heheheh :3

Oh you. :v

Art Person

I'm surprised they didn't use "Selene" or "Selena" for Kaguya, but I guess "Aura Blackquill" works.

Mia Fey, Ace Attorney.

I'm not sure this thread got the complete list of localised names or not, but here they are anyways! (Obviously, some of these characters are indeed spoilers.)
Spoiler:
Kokone Kidzuki= Athena Cykes
Jin Yuugami= Simon Blackquill
Gouzou Ban= Bobby Fulbright
Shinobu Morizumi= Juniper Woods
Hozumi Kaku= Candice Arme
Barashima Shingo= Ted Tonate
Fumitake Auchi= Gaspen Payne
Deemon Tenma= Damian Tenma
Ginji Kyuubi= Rex Kyubi
Kumabee Zeniarai= Phineas Filch
Gin= Taka
Yumemi Tenma= Jinxie Tenma
Shuuichi Biyouin= Florent L'Belle
Masayo Michiba= Constance Courte
Chishio Atsui= Robin Newman
Rei Shizuya= Hugh O'Conner
Atsume Uwasa= Myriam Scuttlebutt
Shinji Ichiro= Aristotle Means
Taiyou Hoshinari= Solomon Starbuck
Daichi Aoi= Clay Terran
Uchuu Oogawara= Yuri Cosmos
Kaguya Yuugami= Aura Blackquill
Mari Kidzuki= Metis Cykes
PONCO and PONTA= PONCO and CLONCO
Phantom= Phantom
Shouko Umino= Sasha Buckler
Ale Arafune= Orla Shipley (actual name Ora Shipley)
Elle Arafune= Ora Shipley (the first)
Ryouji Arafune= Jack Shipley
Ikuya Itsuki= Marlon Rimes
Reika Uratori= Norma DePlume
Gaku Sugomori= Herman Crab
Suzumi Natsukaze= Azura Summers

If I missed anything, or got one wrong, just tell me!
"We never really know if our clients are guilty or innocent. All we can do is believe in them. And in order to believe in them, you have to believe in yourself."

Signature by MidnightJasper~

Last edited by Shadow Magician on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Procrastinating...

Shadow Magician wrote:
I'm not sure this thread got the complete list of localised names or not, but here they are anyways! (Obviously, some of these characters are indeed spoilers.)
Spoiler:
Kokone Kidzuki= Athena Cykes
Jin Yuugami= Simon Blackquill
Gozou Ban= Bobby Fulbright
Shinobu Morizumi= Juniper Woods
Hozumi Kaku= Candice Arme
Barashima Shingo= Ted Tonate
Fumitake Auchi= Gaspen Payne
Deemon Tenma= Damian Tenma
Ginji Kyuubi= Rex Kyubi
Kumabee Zeniarai= Phineas Filch
Gin= Taka
Yumemi Tenma= Jinxie Tenma
Shuuichi Biyouin= Florent L'Belle
Masayo Michiba= Constance Courte
Chishio Atsui= Robin Newman
Rei Shizuya= Hugh O'Conner
Atsume Uwasa= Myriam Scuttlebutt
Shinji Ichiro= Aristotle Means
Taiyou Hoshinari= Solomon Starbuck
Daichi Aoi= Clay Terran
Uchuu Oogawara= Yuri Cosmos
Kaguya Yuugami= Aura Blackquill
Mari Kidzuki= Metis Cykes
PONCO and PONTA= PONCA and PONTA
Phantom= Phantom (Can someone help me confirm this one?)
Shouko Umino= Sasha Buckler
Ale Arafune= Orla (Surname may be Shipley, but nothing confirmed.)
The rest of the Turnabout Reclaimed cast's localised names are yet to come.

If I missed anything, or got one wrong, just tell me!

Ponta is not localized. It's Clonco. :phoenix:
So... How's life?

nuuuuu, stoooooop

....Did they really "localize" Gin as TAKA??? Or did you take that from the wikia?

Thanks for the names!
ImageImage

Procrastinating...

Croik wrote:
....Did they really "localize" Gin as TAKA??? Or did you take that from the wikia?

Thanks for the names!

.....They did. It showed it in a preview video.
So... How's life?

Team Stepladder

And what Ace Attorney game wouldn't have pun-tastic, other-meaning English names? I don't know if there's already a discussion up of it, but here's my take.

Spoiler: "All Cases"
Candice Arme - Obviously, from "can disarm", referencing her occupation as a Bomb disposal expert.

Damian Tenma - Damian, as name, derives from the greek word meaning "to conquer" or "to master", possibly in reference to him being the mayor of Tenma City. Additionally, it sounds like "demon", which they believed Tenma Taro to be.

Rex Kyubi - Rex is the Latin word for "king", such as in Oedipus Rex. Again, another conquering word probably in reference to him being the leader of Nine-Tails Vale. Kyubi, of course, is the same.

Florent L'Belle - You all guessed it! L'Belle is the French for "The Beautiful" or "The Pretty". Florent could come from "fleur", the French word for a flower, or possible from flore, in reference to fauna. Which sounds like it smells better, flowers or fauna?

Aristotle Means - Hopefully you all know the philosopher Aristotle; as a subject of Plato, Aristotle's beliefs were based on "natural philosophy" and were very down-to-earth and based on logical assumptions, and he rocked a beard similar to that of our dear character.

Constance Courte - comes from the Latin word for "constant, steadfast". Most likely a reference to her unwavering belief in holding fair trials, a "steadfast court" that wouldn't give in to the dark days of law.

Hugh O'Conner - The pun "You're a goner!" used in the localization sounds very much like "Hugh O'Conner" when said quickly. This could also reference his faked genius status, "a conner" if you will; his parents paid off his test scores, and thus conning everyone else into believing he was a genius.

Robin Newman - Another one called by the CR crew. "Newman", obviously derived from "new man", signifies the secret Robin was forced to keep in order to satisfy her parents. Robin is an androgynous name given to men but most times associated with women.

Soloman Starbuck - Not sure on this one. It could be a vague reference to King Soloman, or that he was the single person who was given most of the credit for the safe return of the HAT-1: "solo man". Starbuck, while also a very famous coffee shop, was also the name of a character from both Moby Dick and the 1978 science-fiction Battlestar Galactica.

Metis Cykes - Metis was the Greek Titaness (yup, not goddess - Titaness!) of wisdom and deep thought, but originally connoted "magical cunning". She was also the mother of the goddess Athena, but of course.

Yuri Cosmos - Cosmos, of course, is a term for space, or the universe, in a structured system. Yuri is the Japanese word for lily, possibly due to lilies that can grow on river banks (a reference to his Japanese name), or could create a pun on "Eureka" with the first half of his last name, "Yuri Co-". He is very enthusiastic about his position, after all.

Aura Blackquill - Aura is the divine personification of the breeze in Greek and Roman mythology. It can also reference a person's manifestation of energy, a person's "aura", which also derives from the Greek/Roman mythology. I've got nothing on this one, other than it sounds just a fanciful as a princess of the moon.

Oh, Nick. When will you ever learn?

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

Did we actually get anything right in this thread? Except for Sasha Buckler.

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

Artemis wrote:
And what Ace Attorney game wouldn't have pun-tastic, other-meaning English names? I don't know if there's already a discussion up of it, but here's my take.

Spoiler: "All Cases"
Candice Arme - Obviously, from "can disarm", referencing her occupation as a Bomb disposal expert.

Damian Tenma - Damian, as name, derives from the greek word meaning "to conquer" or "to master", possibly in reference to him being the mayor of Tenma City. Additionally, it sounds like "demon", which they believed Tenma Taro to be.

Rex Kyubi - Rex is the Latin word for "king", such as in Oedipus Rex. Again, another conquering word probably in reference to him being the leader of Nine-Tails Vale. Kyubi, of course, is the same.

Florent L'Belle - You all guessed it! L'Belle is the French for "The Beautiful" or "The Pretty". Florent could come from "fleur", the French word for a flower, or possible from flore, in reference to fauna. Which sounds like it smells better, flowers or fauna?

Aristotle Means - Hopefully you all know the philosopher Aristotle; as a subject of Plato, Aristotle's beliefs were based on "natural philosophy" and were very down-to-earth and based on logical assumptions, and he rocked a beard similar to that of our dear character.

Constance Courte - comes from the Latin word for "constant, steadfast". Most likely a reference to her unwavering belief in holding fair trials, a "steadfast court" that wouldn't give in to the dark days of law.

Hugh O'Conner - The pun "You're a goner!" used in the localization sounds very much like "Hugh O'Conner" when said quickly. This could also reference his faked genius status, "a conner" if you will; his parents paid off his test scores, and thus conning everyone else into believing he was a genius.

Robin Newman - Another one called by the CR crew. "Newman", obviously derived from "new man", signifies the secret Robin was forced to keep in order to satisfy her parents. Robin is an androgynous name given to men but most times associated with women.

Soloman Starbuck - Not sure on this one. It could be a vague reference to King Soloman, or that he was the single person who was given most of the credit for the safe return of the HAT-1: "solo man". Starbuck, while also a very famous coffee shop, was also the name of a character from both Moby Dick and the 1978 science-fiction Battlestar Galactica.

Metis Cykes - Metis was the Greek Titaness (yup, not goddess - Titaness!) of wisdom and deep thought, but originally connoted "magical cunning". She was also the mother of the goddess Athena, but of course.

Yuri Cosmos - Cosmos, of course, is a term for space, or the universe, in a structured system. Yuri is the Japanese word for lily, possibly due to lilies that can grow on river banks (a reference to his Japanese name), or could create a pun on "Eureka" with the first half of his last name, "Yuri Co-". He is very enthusiastic about his position, after all.

Aura Blackquill - Aura is the divine personification of the breeze in Greek and Roman mythology. It can also reference a person's manifestation of energy, a person's "aura", which also derives from the Greek/Roman mythology. I've got nothing on this one, other than it sounds just a fanciful as a princess of the moon.

Spoiler: "spoiler"
I believe that Yuri Cosmos is actually a reference to Yuri Gagarin...

Image ImageImage

Spoiler: "Case 4"
I believe that Yuri Cosmos is actually a reference to Yuri Gagarin...

Yeah, that was my immediate assumption.

Spoiler: "More case 4"
Sol = Sun, Terran = Earth. Metis is also an asteroid, although that's less important than the whole Athena's mother thing.

Mia Fey, Ace Attorney.

nearsightedwaddledee wrote:
Ponta is not localized. It's Clonco. :phoenix:

Didn't see this earlier! Thanks for telling me, I'm only on case 3 so I didn't realise this. I'll go edit the post now!
"We never really know if our clients are guilty or innocent. All we can do is believe in them. And in order to believe in them, you have to believe in yourself."

Ace Attorney in Training

Looks like the localizers at Capcom goofed and failed to localize the marquee of the space station during the cutscenes where it appears.

We are one

:holdit:

I found the pun in the name of one of the characters in the DLC case.

Spoiler:
Jack Shipley
His name is from Cap'n Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean film series.

Spoiler: Plus, I'm decieved with the choice of
Marlon Rimes. Sounds too weak... I prefer Salomon Fishrap. (Fishrap is evident for a pun, isn't it? (surname idea from Voodoo Lady) Salomon is a play on "salmon", if ya know what do I mean.)

cioz wrote:
Plus, in the English version there will be a very big change in case 1 about
Spoiler:
how 511103UR will be 1100D5R

:nick-sweat: Even though you know it, you committed a small goof.

Mia Fey, Ace Attorney.

Alright, in a few minutes I'll update the all names post! Seeing as it seems that there'll be no more DLC cases, that should be every name in GS5!
Also, I noticed that as of the DLC case this is the first time a name's been reused IIRC, Jack Hammer and Jack Shipley. Of course, since Jack is a really common name and they're both victims, this isn't a major thing at all.

Boogy-oogy-oogy-oogy

I got... none of the names right! Although I think I deserve some credit for guessing one of the characters would be named Candice.

Spoiler: Reclaimed
Marlon Rimes: A marlin's a kind of fish, and Rimes refers to his sick beats, yo yo yo! I'm almost 100% certain that his name also refers to the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
Norma DePlume: "nom de plume", ie a pen name. Her Japanese name also refers to birds iirc, so plume is fitting.
Herman Crab: Hermit crab, duuuuuuuh.
Azura Summers: Azure is a shade of blue, and her Japanese name refers to a summer cold. Also probably coincidental, but as one of the few characters who dies of natural causes in a universe where death is almost always the result of malicious external forces, I wouldn't be surprised if she was named after Buffy's mom.

Voodoo Sprites
I do some graphics for Conflict of Interest.
Page 6 of 6 [ 224 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)