Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 1[ 35 posts ]

Let's Remember the strange 5 year long wait for this game!Topic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Dual Destinies is launching in exactly two weeks, and we're all pretty excited. It's so weird to look back on the years we've all waited for it. If you're like me you looked at every bit of GS5 news that came out over that time, although most of it were read herrings or unconfirmed statements. Looking back, its kind of funny to go back and look at some of that stuff, so I thought I'd post some here and others could do the same if they were interested.

Here's the first bit of news that came out, back in 2007:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=18291
I first got into the series with AJ in 2008, so when I read this already-a-year-old-newstory I had no doubt in my mind that "Apollo Justice 2" would be released in no time. That didn't happen. :lana:

That's just one of many I remember; I'll have to go look for some of the other really interesting GS5-related stories and discussions that occured throughout the years. What about you? Do you remember any interesting/strange/totally-didn't-happen GS5 stories/discussions/rumors that popped up over the last 5 years?
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
Re: Let's Remember the strange 5 year long wait for this gamTopic%20Title

Wotter boy

Now, I haven't been here since AJ came out.
But I WAS here for the first leak of info of GS5. And I'll admit I was pretty excited because this is the only fandom I've stayed in for this long.

earthlings on fire

I remember Croik talking about having both characters from the Phoenix games and Apollo games and some people thought that was ridiculous. Moral of that story, always believe Croik's theories.

(When the theory came up I really wanted to have both era's characters but remained convinced it wasn't going to happen like a lot of other people)
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Do you see the black one...or the white?

I'm honestly trying to remember why I've stuck around this forum for so long. I still remember when releases for this series was frequent before the "big drought". I say to the few of us who are still alive from aeons ago on this forum and to those who have been into the series since the beginning: We freakin' deserve this game, so it better not disappoint!
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Well, the wait wasn't that long, because every year at least something happened.

2007 - waiting for the localized version of AJ
2008 - getting info on new Gyakuten NOT Saiban (AAI)
2009 - GK released in Japan, waiting for localized version
2010 - AAI released in the West, infos on PlvAA and GK2
2011 - GK2 released in Japan, waiting (in vain) for localized version, first ingame screenshots of PLvAA, news on AA movie
2012 - AA movie released, AA5 announced, Japanese release of PLvAA
2013 - AA:DD released, conformation of PLvAA localization
2014 - PLvAA will be released in the West, probably first infos on GK3/AA6?

Wotter boy

The last game that was released before I got truly into the fandom was AAI.
I remember getting a lot of info on both GK2 and GS5.
I know I haven't been around since the beginning, but I've been around for a while.
Through the month/almost year long main site down and everyone was on the backup forums, and I was pretty active on there.
Now this site's kinda dead except for us oldies(not sure if I could consider myself one). But it's been great sticking around here, and I absolutely can't wait till DD comes out.

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

I do believe that the game that got me into the fandom is PW:DD.
I bought the 3Ds without seeing any of the games. (Kinda sad really.) Then, I saw the Japanese trailer for GS5, after that I started playing all of the games in the chronological order.
1 week and 6 days, I ab-posi-lutely can't wait!
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

Gettin' Old!

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
The last game that was released before I got truly into the fandom was AAI.
I remember getting a lot of info on both GK2 and GS5.
I know I haven't been around since the beginning, but I've been around for a while.
Through the month/almost year long main site down and everyone was on the backup forums, and I was pretty active on there.
Now this site's kinda dead except for us oldies(not sure if I could consider myself one). But it's been great sticking around here, and I absolutely can't wait till DD comes out.

Don't know if I'd consider the site kinda dead, it's went through sporadic periods of activity due to the new game. Thing will only get more hectic once the game goes out and people remember "Oh yeah I loved that series!" was the same with the other games and a big influx of people.

I'd frankly given up on getting GS5 and so didn't get my hopes up for it, then Phoenix showed up in UMVC3 and the Professor Layton crossover and that got me a sight more confidant as I couldn't figure why else they'd pick up this gem of a character and suddenly put him back in the limelight if there wasn't more to come.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Levi x Tide detergent OTP

I remember since GS5 was announced, I hadn't really entered this site then. I wanted to find out information, but I wasn't sure what was the main fansite. To be honest, it was the CR mentions from various Phoenix Wrongs that introduced me to Court Records. And since then, I myself, along with others, have seen tons of new info such as Apollo being confirmed, the new prosecutor, merchandise, trailers, returning characters, demos, and localized names, too. Oh yeah, and Layton vs. Wright being confirmed for localization. This site has had quite a lot of activity stirring up during my time here.
"Girl, shut up and drink my spiked coffee." - Godot AckermanImage

Lusankya wrote:
Well, the wait wasn't that long, because every year at least something happened.

2007 - waiting for the localized version of AJ
2008 - getting info on new Gyakuten NOT Saiban (AAI)
2009 - GK released in Japan, waiting for localized version
2010 - AAI released in the West, infos on PlvAA and GK2
2011 - GK2 released in Japan, waiting (in vain) for localized version, first ingame screenshots of PLvAA, news on AA movie
2012 - AA movie released, AA5 announced, Japanese release of PLvAA
2013 - AA:DD released, conformation of PLvAA localization
2014 - PLvAA will be released in the West, probably first infos on GK3/AA6?

That does make sense, although as exciting as GK, GK2, PLvsAA, and the movie were, they still weren't nearly as exciting as an announcement confirming the return of Apollo. Whenever those things were announced, I always felt like "Well that's great, but what about GS5?". I will say though that when GS5 was announced in 2012 everything sped up a bunch.

Since I played Apollo Justice first, then went back and played GS1, 2, and 3, I always felt a sense of constantly going backwards. Don't get me wrong, it was great to go back and discover who this character named Phoenix was, but when GK was announced it was cool but I was also ready to see what happened after AJ. Then no news about GS5 came out until 2012, so I almost gave up hope. Even though they didn't announce Apollo until early 2013 I was fairly certain he would be in the game at some point. And now after all this time, I finally get to go back and return to the characters that introduced me to the series. That's pretty exciting.

Found an old topic:
http://www.forums.court-records.net/vie ... 31&t=21593

This was right before the 10th anniversary court event where GS5 was announced. Then This happened:

http://www.forums.court-records.net/vie ... 31&t=21602
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Levi x Tide detergent OTP

Quote:
Good thing: No Ace Attorney: The Movie - The GAME. It's bad to judge, but movie tie in games tend to stink.

Lol, not related to the subject at hand, but the movie was actually pretty decent.
"Girl, shut up and drink my spiked coffee." - Godot AckermanImage

Gettin' Old!

fourtrass wrote:
Quote:
Good thing: No Ace Attorney: The Movie - The GAME. It's bad to judge, but movie tie in games tend to stink.

Lol, not related to the subject at hand, but the movie was actually pretty decent.

Yeah my friend was unfamiliar with the series and he said it was genuinely a good movie on it's own rights.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

fourtrass wrote:
Quote:

The sad thing is that they changed Redd White from the fabulous Bluecorp CEO to... a homeless dude...
Can't find it attractive.

Note: Phoenix's hair needs to be more spiky.
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

迷探偵

BonnyMono wrote:
The sad thing is that they changed Redd White from the fabulous Bluecorp CEO to... a homeless dude...

With the most amazing dialect.

I mentioned when I finished Professor Layton VS GS, but one could consider the Japanese version a sequel to the movie: Nick and Maya are voiced by their actors (Nick was... quite bad though), and it works continuity-wise too!
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Racing through the sky like a Missile

BonnyMono wrote:

What are you talking about? He looks so much like Ozzy Osbourne. How is that not cool?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Gettin' Old!

BonnyMono wrote:
fourtrass wrote:
Quote:

Note: Phoenix's hair needs to be more spiky.

I'm not sure why they did...presumably for the reporter tie-in to the later cases. I didn't think changing him detracted from the experience of the movie.

Though regarding Phoenix's hair, after seeing how the musical attempted Phoenix's hair I thought they did a fine job on it. Matching sheer anime hair like that is always going to be difficult.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I actually never played Ace Attorney until 2010, and that's when the original iOS game came out. I played it on my iPod Touch 2G, and later played JFA and T&T on WiiWare. Obviously, AJ and AAI were played on my DS. I bought the first game on DS a few months ago, and will get the other two eventually as well.

So for me, it really hasn't been that long of a wait for a brand new Ace Attorney game since the five localized games kept me plenty busy which in turn led me to other visual novels. The movie was a great way to hold me over, and so were the yearly Professor Layton games.

If you want to get technical, it's been NINE YEARS for the Japanese since Phoenix Wright's last main game was with the 2004 GBA release of Gyakuten Saiban 3. It blows my mind that the series itself is almost 13 years old.

Pierre wrote:
fourtrass wrote:
Quote:

Yeah my friend was unfamiliar with the series and he said it was genuinely a good movie on it's own rights.

I personally didn't care for the movie much (I wrote a review of it a while back here) for a couple of reasons, but I know a lot of people did, and it's certainly not the worst video game adaptation ever made.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
BonnyMono wrote:

What are you talking about? He looks so much like Ozzy Osbourne. How is that not cool?

Changes like those weren't things that bothered me personally. As strange as Chevy Chase Redd White was in the movie, I do think they had to simplify him in order to make his part of the film simpler and more relevant. In fact, one of my issues with the film was that they were TOO true to the source material.

Some more interesting things brought up over the years:
http://www.forums.court-records.net/vie ... =34&t=7815

http://www.forums.court-records.net/vie ... 31&t=19407

http://www.forums.court-records.net/vie ... 31&t=19904

迷探偵

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
It blows my mind that the series itself is almost 13 years old.

Not wrong per se, but GS celebrated its 12th birthday just yesterday ;)

Ontopic, I have always been following the Japanese releases, so I basically always had something to look forward to. And to be honest, I was way more excited about releases like GK and the crossover game, than GS5. Might be because I mostly look at GS as a mystery game, rather than a character game, so the possibilities of concepts like GK and witch trials seemed to be much more interesting to me than GS5.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:
TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
It blows my mind that the series itself is almost 13 years old.

Not wrong per se, but GS celebrated its 12th birthday just yesterday ;)

Ontopic, I have always been following the Japanese releases, so I basically always had something to look forward to. And to be honest, I was way more excited about releases like GK and the crossover game, than GS5. Might be because I mostly look at GS as a mystery game, rather than a character game, so the possibilities of concepts like GK and witch trials seemed to be much more interesting to me than GS5.

For a handheld series of games to last this long, have a worldwide (even if limited fan base), a movie adaption by a famous Japanese director, several manga, and concerts by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra; it's extremely impressive. There are big budget console games that don't have this much media. Unfortunately, a lot of this stuff is Japan only. Still, it's amazing to think about. And it all started with a 2001 GBA game that no one thought would be successful.

Those games do seem more interesting than the main series at times. I think that Apollo Justice was somewhat of a disappointment, but I really enjoyed GK1 and what I'm playing of GK2. Whenever I get a 3DS, it will be the first game that I get.

The Real Human Being

>5 years
>6 years Maya's been mai waifu
>Still don't know if she's in this game
>have resisted spoiling myself for these longs months
>MFW I don't know what I'll do with myself if I waited 6 years for a woman I'll never see again.

What did he do this time...?

I guess it's only been 2 years for me... I am getting so pumped for Dual Destinies and PL vs AA. Only 8 more days....!!!!!

I find it interesting about their future decisions between GK3 and GS6. Early this year the GK creators talked about how they wanted to make a 3rd game and later with the profits of GS5, it seems likely for a GS6 to come out. I think if GK3 comes out in Japan, everyone else gets screwed unless it has nothing to do with GK2... but that would be a sign of Capcom cutting its ties to everywhere but Japan. I think if they announce GK6, we have a much better chance of getting it.

Man, I hope this series doesn't die. We just gotta show Capcom our support! ...and our wallets.
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Danchat wrote:
I guess it's only been 2 years for me... I am getting so pumped for Dual Destinies and PL vs AA. Only 8 more days....!!!!!

I find it interesting about their future decisions between GK3 and GS6. Early this year the GK creators talked about how they wanted to make a 3rd game and later with the profits of GS5, it seems likely for a GS6 to come out. I think if GK3 comes out in Japan, everyone else gets screwed unless it has nothing to do with GK2... but that would be a sign of Capcom cutting its ties to everywhere but Japan. I think if they announce GK6, we have a much better chance of getting it.

Man, I hope this series doesn't die. We just gotta show Capcom our support! ...and our wallets.

If the series died at any time, we should sue Capcom. :grey: Iunno.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I doubt the series will die anytime soon, and if Shu Takumi is actually returning at one point I guess that will boost anticipation for the games as well, since if GS6 is by the GK team as well, I doubt it will have as high sales numbers as GS5.

...and if Capcom dies (which I don't even think they will anymore) then I hope the franchise gets bought by Level-5, considering how excellent PLvsAA was both in looks and feel. (L-5 developed the entire thing btw).

Somehow I quickly lost a lot of my anticipation for GS5 when I heard the GK team was making it. When I saw the initial screenshots and the first trailer last year I was going crazy in excitement, but now I'm honestly hyping PLvPWAA more because as good as the GK team is I just miss Shu Takumi's humor in their games.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

迷探偵

linkenski wrote:
...and if Capcom dies (which I don't even think they will anymore) then I hope the franchise gets bought by Level-5, considering how excellent PLvsAA was both in looks and feel. (L-5 developed the entire thing btw).

Level-5 programmed the whole thing. The actual development process was shared: character designs and graphics were done at Capcom for example, and it was Takumi Shuu who was responsible for the scenario.

What did he do this time...?

Quote:
Somehow I quickly lost a lot of my anticipation for GS5 when I heard the GK team was making it. When I saw the initial screenshots and the first trailer last year I was going crazy in excitement, but now I'm honestly hyping PLvPWAA more because as good as the GK team is I just miss Shu Takumi's humor in their games.

I get what you're saying. I am hyped for PL vs AA because Takumi came up with the story, which likely means it is going to be awesome
I think the GK team, after making 2 games, will be able to put out a plot almost as good as Takumi's. I think they have the experience to make it up to standards.
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Danchat wrote:
Quote:

I get what you're saying. I am hyped for PL vs AA because Takumi came up with the story, which likely means it is going to be awesome
I think the GK team, after making 2 games, will be able to put out a plot almost as good as Takumi's. I think they have the experience to make it up to standards.

I've always been much more interested in GS5, personally, mainly because I wanted to see more of Apollo's story, since he was the protagonist I played as first. As fun as PLvsAA looks, it's another game with "classic", pre-GS4 Wright. It's ambiguous canon status makes it lost some steam for me as well since I'm not really interested in a story that's not going to have an effect on the character's lives.

I also have never felt the way many do about GK; while it is my second-least favorite game after JFA, I find the story to be perfectly fine. What makes it not as fun for me is the gameplay doesn't seem to have as much replay value as the court-centered games do. Everything else about the game is fine in my opinion, and I really enjoyed it the first time through so I think the things I don't like about it are symptoms of just replaying it while knowing all the twists. So I'm not really worried that it's written by the GK team; in fact, there's an article in the Court Docket that says the game is much better than GK and that one of the cases feels like a Takumi case. I do however think that they need to abandon the "old, unsolved case" plot device for the next game.

Anyway, in short, I've been waiting for GS5 and the return of Apollo, Old Nick, Trucy, Klavier, etc. for a long time, and it's so exciting it's finally here. And while the game is named after Wright, from what I've heard people think the game is very good at giving Apollo some more depth.

linkenski wrote:

I doubt you'd have anything to worry about in the humor department. While this game doesn't focus as much on humor and eccentricity as JFA does, it does have some especially brilliant moments, as expected of an Ace Attorney game.

I'm currently playing through PLvsAA, and while there is a subtle difference between the humor of Takumi's writing and the humor of Yamazaki's writing, that difference isn't worth differentiating. Besides, if it's a good joke, then it's a good joke; doesn't matter who's written it.

ADA McCoy wrote:
I've always been much more interested in GS5, personally, mainly because I wanted to see more of Apollo's story, since he was the protagonist I played as first. As fun as PLvsAA looks, it's another game with "classic", pre-GS4 Wright. It's ambiguous canon status makes it lost some steam for me as well since I'm not really interested in a story that's not going to have an effect on the character's lives.

To each his own. Honestly, if you're going to be picky about the official "canon", that thing's been wasted since the plothole created in Apollo's game, which set the year in 2025, when it's supposed to be in 2026. GS5 simply hops up another year and does nothing about that plothole. It's like it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Anyway, in short, I've been waiting for GS5 and the return of Apollo, Old Nick, Trucy, Klavier, etc. for a long time, and it's so exciting it's finally here. And while the game is named after Wright, from what I've heard people think the game is very good at giving Apollo some more depth.

He finally gets some actual background to his character. Apollo in his own game just feels like the voice of the player, and it shows barely anything about his history before becoming an attorney.

While Phoenix doesn't get much development - not that he needs much at this point anyway - the player can better judge his level of experience, since the level differences between the attorneys at his law firm are set pretty straight and clear. (Why Athena was chosen to be 18 and not 22, like how Apollo had started, though, I have no idea.)
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
To each his own. Honestly, if you're going to be picky about the official "canon", that thing's been wasted since the plothole created in Apollo's game, which set the year in 2025, when it's supposed to be in 2026. GS5 simply hops up another year and does nothing about that plothole. It's like it doesn't exist.

The canon status is a really minor thing with me, actually, I just mentioned it because it's a small thing I do take into account. Basically the only issue with it not being canon is that it means the events don't have any relevancy to the rest of the series. When it was first announced, I thought maybe it would be after GS3 and would be the "final" case Nick and Maya did together, and maybe at the end when all was resolved you'd see her become master of Kurain and he'd continue on at his law firm and all that. But I don't really feel like I need to see the classic GS1,2,3 characters and dynamic again unless it's contributing to the overall plot of the franchise. That's probably because I don't have as nostalgic a connection to them as many others do since the Nick I first met and feel is the ultimate form of the character is GS4 Nick. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm still really excited for it, just not as excited as for GS5.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
He finally gets some actual background to his character. Apollo in his own game just feels like the voice of the player, and it shows barely anything about his history before becoming an attorney.

While Phoenix doesn't get much development - not that he needs much at this point anyway - the player can better judge his level of experience, since the level differences between the attorneys at his law firm are set pretty straight and clear. (Why Athena was chosen to be 18 and not 22, like how Apollo had started, though, I have no idea.)

I'm glad. I always felt that if Phoenix was to come back in GS5 that he should basically be the new Mia and Apollo should be in GS1,2,3 Phoenix's role. I'm perfectly fine with Athena and Phoenix being playable since GS4 showed me that non-playable characters tend to be deeper than the playable ones so hopefully everybody will get some nice development.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
linkenski wrote:

I doubt you'd have anything to worry about in the humor department. While this game doesn't focus as much on humor and eccentricity as JFA does, it does have some especially brilliant moments, as expected of an Ace Attorney game.

I'm currently playing through PLvsAA, and while there is a subtle difference between the humor of Takumi's writing and the humor of Yamazaki's writing, that difference isn't worth differentiating. Besides, if it's a good joke, then it's a good joke; doesn't matter who's written it.

I know I'm being very picky but I have to say, then I hope you're saying Yamazaki improved considerably over his work on AAI in terms of his actual dialogue-writing, because where AAI mostly had visual gags that Edgey called them out on/made fun of in his monologue, Shu Takumi has a sense of satire and parody that's very subtle and very show-don't-tell-y. I also noticed how Takumi has several instances where his characters start one scene with a series of back and forth between the characters, and in the next moment they repeat the exact same dialogue as if they're saying it without conciously repeating it and somehow I thought that was ingenious the times I noticed it. Also the sarcastic remarks from Apollo or Phoenix usually make you go "Wow, stole my words" but in AAI and also GK2 (with fan-patch) I thought it seemed more pretentious as in "Here's an obvious gag, that Edgeworth has to say something funny about" and... well it's what it is... pretentious.

Sorry for my off-topic there. :yogi:

So anyway back to topic :P
I have to say I'm still a little baffled at how they teased this to be Phoenix' story to begin with but apparently it's not really the case. I don't actually mind, but I suddently thought after reading the latest Capcom-Unity blogs that Yamazaki said one of the ambitious goals of GS5 was to give each protagonist their own story, whereas Wright's was about being the Mentor sort of like Mia. Does this actually go anywhere in the story or is he simply the player proxy?

And as for Apollo's development or at least his backstory and character in this game, I'd say this was much needed, but I have to wonder whether I think it's actual development or just some plot-device-y thing. I guess I can tell in one week, but at least it's good to see Polly get a bit more dynamic role, if you will, in this game compared to GS4. Funny, because the second I saw he was in GS5 my anticipation fell from "EEE OOO, So excited, *throws money everywhere there're screens!*" to "FUUUUUU, nooo *reconsiders purchase*" but since that I decided I wanted to replay AJ:AA and I actually liked his character a lot more the second time through. So in that regard I guess it was good they showed he was in the game so far ahead of the release date.

linkenski wrote:
I know I'm being very picky but I have to say, then I hope you're saying Yamazaki improved considerably over his work on AAI in terms of his actual dialogue-writing, because where AAI mostly had visual gags that Edgey called them out on/made fun of in his monologue, Shu Takumi has a sense of satire and parody that's very subtle and very show-don't-tell-y. I also noticed how Takumi has several instances where his characters start one scene with a series of back and forth between the characters, and in the next moment they repeat the exact same dialogue as if they're saying it without conciously repeating it and somehow I thought that was ingenious the times I noticed it. Also the sarcastic remarks from Apollo or Phoenix usually make you go "Wow, stole my words" but in AAI and also GK2 (with fan-patch) I thought it seemed more pretentious as in "Here's an obvious gag, that Edgeworth has to say something funny about" and... well it's what it is... pretentious.

There's a huge difference of humor potential between Nick and Edgey, and it comes with the right company. Edgey is a genius among his peers, who are - putting it bluntly - idiots. That's why he usually has to take the role of the "only sane man" of a group. Otherwise, if there are two of them, such as whenever he and Justine (Mikagami) are discussing matters seriously, it's not that funny.
Nick, meanwhile, hangs around with a drastically different group: most of which seek to knock down his pride in the best (or rather, worst) means possible, joking or not. It's less about him calling others idiots and more about vice versa. (Besides, the times he gets to call others idiots are almost always in court when he's legitimately a badass.) In other cases, he gets to take the shots on Apollo and Athena; also likewise between the two of them. There's a little generation war going on at the Wright Anything Agency...

What are you talking about? Takumi threw out blatant attempts at dislodging the current mood with Moe back in GS2. He has a lot of variety in his humor that makes these games so accessible to everyone.

Quote:
I have to say I'm still a little baffled at how they teased this to be Phoenix' story to begin with but apparently it's not really the case. I don't actually mind, but I suddently thought after reading the latest Capcom-Unity blogs that Yamazaki said one of the ambitious goals of GS5 was to give each protagonist their own story, whereas Wright's was about being the Mentor sort of like Mia. Does this actually go anywhere in the story or is he simply the player proxy?

He's not just there, if that's what you mean, and he's not only an archetype either. In cases 2 & 3, he gets to take on a little of his GS4 self, as well as the duty of a mentor - at certain times leading Apollo or Athena in the right direction. Yet, after that scene with what the trailers have called "The Wright Anything Agency's Greatest Crisis", Phoenix takes charge of business: restoring the agency to its former glory, in a way. Once he's brought Apollo back to his side, it's pretty much the final stretch.

Quote:
And as for Apollo's development or at least his backstory and character in this game, I'd say this was much needed, but I have to wonder whether I think it's actual development or just some plot-device-y thing. I guess I can tell in one week, but at least it's good to see Polly get a bit more dynamic role, if you will, in this game compared to GS4. Funny, because the second I saw he was in GS5 my anticipation fell from "EEE OOO, So excited, *throws money everywhere there're screens!*" to "FUUUUUU, nooo *reconsiders purchase*" but since that I decided I wanted to replay AJ:AA and I actually liked his character a lot more the second time through. So in that regard I guess it was good they showed he was in the game so far ahead of the release date.

It's because he looked like a pirate during a case when it wasn't about pirates. Silly Pollo. That's why he got kicked out of Turnabout Reclaimed >:)

It's a case of "Your Mileage May Vary". I can't go into it without spoiling something, but case 4 ties together Apollo's friend to Athena's background.

Well I guess you can't say either of the writers "Always" do humor one way, since absolutism will always be disproved (lol, I did it again) but in case of AAI it feels like Yamazaki was reusing the same jokes over and over again...

...but that was AAI, and you definitely know what you're talking about so I'll take your word that the humor is good in GS5 :P

Anyway, I know it might've been overdramatized in the trailers (or maybe not) but I'm very excited to see how this "Greatest crisis" will play out fully in the game. I love intrigue between the good guys, no matter if it's overdone or underplayed. It's kinda like how Phoenix' hate for Edgey in GS2 was really terribly written or executed at least, but I still loved it because it brought some dynamic and newfound tension between Phoenix and Edgeworth.

Ultimate Survivor

I remember looking up info on the future of the series after finishing Apollo Justice in early 2008 and seeing that announcement about AA5 being in the works, but after that my memory is pretty spotty. I think I actually missed the early 2012 announcement with the unveiling of the logo, too. I only really got back into the fandom after they started releasing the promo art and such, which was around Fall 2012 if I remember correctly. I never really lost interest in the series as a whole, though.

Aaaand my excitement for this game reached fever pitch right after the Japanese release. I've pretty much read up on all of the stuff and seen all of the videos/promos I can without majorly spoiling myself. I'm pretty proud of that fact...I don't have a good track record for avoiding spoilers, lol.
Now, even if you apologize...I will not forgive you.

The wait has been ridiculously long for me, as someone who got PW:AA a few weeks after it came out on DS and got each subsequent game by pre-order. As far as I'm concerned I've been waiting since 2008 for this. AAI was alright but I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as the other four games and it was even harder to enjoy it when I was just spending the whole time wishing I was playing a game with Phoenix and Apollo etc. in it. The announcement of GK2 disappointed me, it made me think that they'd lost their ambition without Shu Takumi present and were just gonna keep putting off making a proper AA game and eventually never gonna get round to it. It was even worse when it was announced the game wouldn't even come out here, that made me think that even if there was a proper sequel some day then we'd never see it, and that the AA series was basically over for me. Every other announcement since then, such as the musical, the movie etc. has just made me think 'That's nice, now WHERE'S THE PROPER SEQUEL GODDAMMIT'. And here it is :)

is a five star man.

Well... Let's see, I only came to this fandom around the announcement of PLvsAA, as I used to be a massive fan of the Prof... This meant that my wait for AA5 was minimal, as I had the other games to tide me over (although I did finish them quite quickly :P). Having said that, it has been a fun wait and although I don't say much on these forums, just remember that I'll be watching... always watching...
Visit http://toatalireviews.com for all your TV and video game review needs.
Page 1 of 1 [ 35 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)