Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 2 of 22[ 866 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

Re: What do you think of Dual Destinies?Topic%20Title

1000% Knight

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Spoiler: Case 2
Also, what was the point of Trucy in case 2? She does even less than Ema does in AAI (at least Ema helps with some footprint analysis, Trucy does absolutely nothing).

It allowed them to put her in promotional material without technically lying.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Spoiler:
Same with Klav. It explains why Trucy and Klavier got a shared introductory promotional video.
What a sad state of affairs.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Story writer and music lover.

Right now? I'm on the first court day of case 2.

No spoilers, but I really liked case 1. That's as much as I'll say about that.

Case 2, though, hasn't been as great for me so far. I don't know if it's just the fact that I was tired playing through, but the investigation on the first day so far felt like it dragged on too long. Also, I thought Blackquill was ridiculous initially, but as I play through the first day of the trial, he just takes my initial thoughts and amplifies them. I don't know if this is good or bad, but we'll see.

Anyway, I might pop back in once I complete it or something. Who knows.
--Millini (Official CR Rock Prince and Gavinism convert.)

1000% Knight

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Spoiler:
Same with Klav. It explains why Trucy and Klavier got a shared introductory promotional video.

And don't forget Pearl! :pearl:

Spoiler: Case 5
I feel the same about Edgey, too, to be honest. While he has a bigger role than any other returning character (excluding Nick and Polly), it feels like he's mostly there for the sake of being there. I mean, he shows up and prosecutes a case--nothing any other prosecutor couldn't have done.

The game took me 30 hours and 21 minutes according to my activity log, which isn't really all that short. *shrug*

Also, as I was playing through, I felt pretty shocked by the negative stuff I had heard about Athena's character. The complaints don't make sense to me. Everything I'd heard beforehand made me go into the game expecting her to be a Mary Sue, but once I was playing it she didn't come across as one at all. Just the fact that she's young doesn't really cut it, especially given her circumstances.

I do have a couple issues with the game, but they're not huge. I just really enjoyed having a new Ace Attorney game to play.

Bad Player wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Spoiler:

And don't forget Pearl! :pearl:

Spoiler: Case 5
I feel the same about Edgey, too, to be honest. While he has a bigger role than any other returning character (excluding Nick and Polly), it feels like he's mostly there for the sake of being there. I mean, he shows up and prosecutes a case--nothing any other prosecutor couldn't have done.

Spoiler:
Poor Pearly didn't even get a video, even though she contributed more than Trucy or even Klavier! :sad-maya: As soon as the last of those videos was uploaded, I knew all the returning characters would become cameos. Since we didn't get a video of Pearl, I hoped they were keeping her and Maya's appearances secret. And that's pretty much how it went, so I don't have much to complain about.

I think this game has made me dislike Klavier even more, even though I don't want to. He pops in suddenly for the school's festival as an alumni, wanders around doing nothing when someone is killed, messes with Apollo in a mock trial, and intrudes on Apollo and Athena's investigation of the stage, mainly to help him rebuild his statue. I didn't like case 4-3 because he seemed like a whiny brat; now, he's more of a jerk.

I could say some similar things about Phoenix in that case, but he's genuinely helpful and more interesting to talk with.

I'm also somewhat bewildered about why Edgeworth would take on a case himself when he's Chief Prosecutor. He even comments about how novel it is for the Chief to stand in court. Is it because there are no prosecutors beside Blackquill that he'd personally trust with a case this big? What is their true relationship anyhow?

...If GK3 takes place before GS4, the team could take that chance to explain how Edgeworth and Blackquill met. Huh, perhaps I've just stumbled upon a plausible plot point of the newest GK game.

Edit: Oh, yeah. I've gone through part of case 5 again and was reminded about something.
Spoiler:
The Phantom's aim of theft may not just be Metis' research, but also the moonstone. Whichever country got their grasp on it could potentially invent a new type of tool or arms from that material.

However, the Phantom was just so paranoid about having his identity spoiled that he ejected the rock into space. What an idiot.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Magic Key

Alright, after beating GS5 myself I'd give it a 8.5/10-9/10.
I liked all the chapter plots, although it kinda orginally annoyed me that
Spoiler:
after the tutorial chapter 2 und 3 were set in the past

but I changed my opinion quickly after finishing both of them.
I don't want to spoiler too much, but I really enjoyed CH3 + CH4/5 twists.
While CH3 was predictable, CH4/5 really surprised me.
I'd give CH2/3/4 a 4.5/5 and CH5 a 5/5.
I really liked the ending of this game, and out of the series its probably my favorite after T&T.
Simon and Athena are both great characters, and I loved how they developed to the better with the flow of the story.
All I can say is that I'm not disappointed and I'm looking forward to GS5!
Also, now that
Spoiler:
Ema Skyes and "Detective Fulbrights" storyarcs are most likely done

I'd be really happy to see Gumshoe return!

The video game boy; the one who wins

Bad Player wrote:
And...
Spoiler: Major Case 5 Spoilers
Simon was willing to die for her for no real reason beyond "she was my teacher's kid".

Spoiler:
Oh so very true. However, I thought, considering the circumstances, it could be because at the time she was only 11 years old and, even though I don't know how Simon explains his actions, I can imagine a lot of people would be willing to sacrifice themselves to save a child from being charged with murder. And, speaking of that case, it would be much cooler, storywise, if she actually was the real culprit.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Gettin' Old!

It seems more an more in this game I keep hearing:

Athena: "Don't worry! I've got this!"

Apollo/Phoenix: "Wow, you're really amazing!"

I mean I think having a somewhat competent sidekick in the courtroom is pretty cool, especially one that knows law after all it worked for Mia and Diego in the past. However I just feel that she outshines them...so often in this game.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

And thus she became a Mary Sue because the writer didn't take enough care with balancing the dialogue. It really does baffle me neither of the GK team guys noticed how forced the Athena-praise was in the end.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Wow, what a great game. With this and AAI2 I now trust the new team completely to handle the future of the series. :)

It was a little bit strange, though, before I played the game I thought I will love all the returning stuff like Psyche Locks, Perceive, Pearls, etc. But in the end I loved all the new stuff. The Mood matrix is the best game play mechanic in my eyes and I like basically all the new characters. Athena is such a nice character and I will praise her all the time as well, so I don't care whether you call her Mary Sue or whatever. The characters I liked the most however were the three friends in case 3, Junie, Robin, and Hugh.
I also can't get enough of these gorgeous and hilarious animations and wished we could have rips of them like of the old 2D sprites.

I just want to say I'm part way through case 2 and I really like Fulbright so far.

By the end of this game I reckon it'll be one of my faves ;-; god the game is so beautiful
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

linkenski wrote:
And thus she became a Mary Sue because the writer didn't take enough care with balancing the dialogue. It really does baffle me neither of the GK team guys noticed how forced the Athena-praise was in the end.

The praise was justified.

Spoiler:
She literally had TWO nervous breakdowns in court where she withdrew and became unresponsive due to crippling self-doubt. The first time (in Case 3, chronologically), she needed several different people to reach out and pull her back from the brink, and the second time (in Case 1) Phoenix had to jump in and take over the entire case. Not to mention there were TONS of little moments where she was too hasty or didn't think thinks through enough and showed how green she still is. That doesn't mean she can't have her moments of genius, and I never once felt like she was having more moments of genius than the other two. The game did an excellent job of making me feel like Athena is still a rookie lawyer who's not very good yet, but can pull herself together when she really needs to.

Pierre wrote:
It seems more an more in this game I keep hearing:

Athena: "Don't worry! I've got this!"

Apollo/Phoenix: "Wow, you're really amazing!"

I mean I think having a somewhat competent sidekick in the courtroom is pretty cool, especially one that knows law after all it worked for Mia and Diego in the past. However I just feel that she outshines them...so often in this game.

Spoiler:
I get what you're saying. It seemed like in Case 2, Athena attempted to complete outshine Apollo, despite Apollo being the older and more experienced lawyer. Yet, in Case 3, Apollo barely did anything to help Athena and somehow, an 18-year old rookie lawyer was able to win an entire case almost by herself. I mean seriously, compare the amount of times Athena helps Apollo out of a bind in Case 2 compared to how many times Apollo helps Athena out of a bind in Case 3. Oh well, at least Apollo did get a chance to shine in Case 4.

What? Apollo is helping Athena all the time.

Oh man, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me after reading all of these comments! I'm on the second day of the fourth case and I think the game is okay. It's been pretty easy IMO. There were times in the cases where I was a few steps ahead of the attorney and it felt like it was taking them forever to catch up. It also bothered me that sometimes I would press a statement and the attorney and partner would basically tell me that's the statement with the contradiction. Despite that, I like the new elements they added to court. Mood matrix is an interesting way to look at testimony. I also found revisualization to be really cool.

I like most of the new characters. Simon and Bobby are great (and have awesome themes). I was surprised I wasn't a big fan of Simon at first but he definitely grew on me. However, I'm not sold on Athena (though I love her objection theme). I agree that there is a lot of Athena praise but I've learned to bite my tongue and move on. However, I'm finding her a little annoying because her character is very extreme.
Spoiler: minor spoilers?
It's been tiring to have Athena in every case, and I feel like I need a break from her. I would have liked to see a Nick/Apollo or a Nick/Trucy case.

As for returning characters, I've only seen one who had a decent-size role.
Spoiler: case 3 spoilers
I think it was a little forced to have the victim be Klavier's mentor. Couldn't he just be there for a concert and the mock trial winner? Also, there were some really awkward moments, like the Gavinners reuniting for a day when Daryan is in jail and Juniper wearing Lamiroir's outfit. I was shocked that Apollo didn't make a comment about the outfit looking familiar.

One thing that surprised me is my love for the soundtrack. When I first heard the music in court, I thought they were awful but they've grown on me a lot. The character themes are very good. I'm also in love with the search themes.

I have a few other things that bothered me about the game but I don't want to make final judgments until I finish. Overall, I like the game, but it hasn't really wowed me yet.

Surf's Up!

defenses wrote:
Spoiler: case 3 spoilers
I was shocked that Apollo didn't make a comment about the outfit looking familiar.

Yeah, I was expecting a comment on that as well.

Also in case 3,
Spoiler: Case 3
Before "he" was unmasked as a she, Robin's animations really looked like he was trying to take the world's biggest dump whilst constipated (and the sound effects that played didn't help it either).

Why they went for that look, I have no idea...

Last edited by NinjaMonkey on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The only thing about the OST I hate so far is the lack of Tell The Truth. It has been there twice, once in each case. That's a waste of good music and I feel like the trial sections can get monotonous since objection themes and Tell The Truth themes play way too rarely. In all Takumi games Tell The Truth played even in simple situations and it makes courtroom segments feel more vibrant.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I haven't heard all of the soundtrack (saving the later stuff for when I play it) but I am already convinced it's the best AA Score ever. I love the style, I love that they are actual songs with beginnings and ends and not just a repetitive loop that's annoying when not listened to in-game, and I love the 80's rock vibe from it. The electric guitar and bass in these songs are fantastic.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Desert rose, why do you live alone?

Definitely better than Apollo Justice and AAI. I'd rank it up there with T&T and the first game.

I just finished case 3, and I'm positively surprised so far; I didn't know what to expect after the painful mediocrity of the spin-off series. Anyway, I just have to write my thoughts down now, and come back later once I've finished the game...which will take a while considering my imminent anatomy exam.

The positive:

Blackquill is AMAZAH, I think my favorite part is where he just leaves to take a stroll.

The cases are fairly intriguing, even if you can predict a lot of twists.

Case 3 probably had the best breakdown in the entire series.

The humor is definitely on par with the original trilogy. I must confess I'm also a fan of the (depending on how you see it) subtle sex jokes.

I really like the music.

Phoenix is handled beautifully so far; he's like the Mia of the new generation of attorneys.

The negative:

Athena is EVERYWHERE and knows everything. I literally facepalmed when I found out she apparently also knows martial arts. It's also painfully obvious right from the get-go how her character will develop. I have yet to be given a reason for caring about her.

The act leading up to the final testimony of the third case was so cheesy I couldn't stop cringing. Also, the trial itself could've ended in a better way; it dragged on for too long and grew more ridiculous by the minute towards the end (and not in the good way).

They talk about 'the dark age of law' as if it were some kind of hit movie you've never seen; everyone casually references it and you have no idea what they're talking about.

While I overall enjoyed the second case, it was far too easy and the premise was ridiculous and hard to swallow.

The cutscenes are almost as cheesy as a Naruto friendship speech.

Random thoughts:

I'm convinced there's more to Bobby Fulbright than meets the eye.

They could handle certain themes with more subtlety.

Apollo has friends?

Nice to see you again, Klavier! Hey, where are you going? And what happened to the accent?

Last edited by Thane on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M5432 wrote:
Up to Case 4, the game has been very glitchy so far.
1. The dialogue review became useless by the end of Case 2. Over three quarters of it is just blank. It usually shows the character name but no dialogue, but occasionally it doesn't even do that.

Yeah, this happened to me once, too, during second case. Also, when examining one of things in Case 5, I've got a message with tag "Invalid Message".

D.A. McCoy wrote:
People are specifically calling out Case 3 as one of the best in the series, if not the best.

I can agree here. It's certainly one of best in the series and best in this game.

Chess wrote:
Dissapointed at length, but that could just be me.

Well, yes, it appeared a little too short for me, too. DLC case is ahead, but still...

I think the game has too few checkpoints (less than other games in series). I felt that a few trial sections were too long and could be really split with checkpoints (during recesses) like in previous games, where trial day was usually split into two parts. Since I was really trying to stop gameplay only at checkpoints, I finished it rather quickly. If there were more checkpoints, it'd probably took me one more day to finish game and perceived length would be longer (I don't think game is actually short, it took about 35.5 hours for me to complete). Not sure anyone follows my logic, but that's what I thought.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game. It's a great addition to the series and could be my new personal favorite AA game.

Thane wrote:
Nice to see you again, Klavier! Hey, where are you going? And what happened to the accent?

Must've still been bitter about the poll-ratings incident. Who woulda known, huh?

Godot's the Man

39300 wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:
People are specifically calling out Case 3 as one of the best in the series, if not the best.

I keep hearing people say this, can anyone tell me exactly why its so good, without spoiling anything for me. I've only just finished case 1.

1000% Knight

GyakutenGodot wrote:
39300 wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:

I keep hearing people say this, can anyone tell me exactly why its so good, without spoiling anything for me. I've only just finished case 1.

Fun characters, interesting setting and premise, great mystery with lots of twists and turns as you solve it.

I-I can't spoil anything but have to tell "exactly" how it's good? Um...

Aside from the corny friendship speeches, Athena's lack of self-confidence, and Klavier's pointlessness, this case really knows how to "turn things around", so to speak. I admit that the twists may be predictable sometimes, but the final confrontation with the villain of the case and that breakdown are definitely worth it.

It's also one of the cases that better represents the overlying theme of the "Dark Age of Law", where even an educational institution isn't free from corruption. What appears to be something at first turns out to be something completely different, or even contradictory. The fact that Athena takes on this case, as opposed to Phoenix or Apollo, also better shows her growth as a character and lawyer. In a way, it's to sort of build up to what happens later in the game.

...Also, statues make a return as important evidence. Yay, statues!

Lusankya wrote:
What? Apollo is helping Athena all the time.

Spoiler:
Yes, he does help her, but not as much as Athena helps him. In Case 2, it seems like Athena objects almost as much as Apollo does, whereas in Case 3, Apollo seems fairly oblivious aside from a couple of moments (such as when Athena breaks down towards the end).

Thane wrote:
Spoiler:
I literally facepalmed when I found out she apparently also knows martial arts. It's also painfully obvious right from the get-go how her character will develop.

Spoiler:
The part where Athena threw the police officer in Case 2 was especially face palm-worthy. Shouldn't she have been arrested on the spot for assaulting an officer of the law?

Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.

TheIdioteque wrote:
Spoiler:
The part where Athena threw the police officer in Case 2 was especially face palm-worthy. Shouldn't she have been arrested on the spot for assaulting an officer of the law?

He was out cold, all they needed to do was leg it!

Resident Bookworm

Just finished the game.

Overall, I still like T&T and the original more BUT this one is right up there for me. I enjoyed playing all the cases, and they didn't feel like there's like one I would skip on a replay like I do with say, JFA. I feel like they took advantage of the new technology fairly well and though some people have complained about each attorney having their own gimmick I like it. It offered a fair bit of variety in what we could do each case and there feels like appropriate limits to each other (for ex, Apollo not being able to use his powers against Blackquill as long as Taka's around and his human lie detector abilities working against him in the narrative; return of Black Psych Locks; Athena's relying heavily on having evidence to support what she finds).

In terms of Athena's character, I don't consider her a mary sue. She's not my favorite assistent but in terms of general personality and stake in the plot, I feel like it works. The nice thing about her is that she can actually do more in trials, unlike Maya and Trucy who eventually tapered off because their abilities weren't needed as much, because Athena's interests are similar to Apollo and Phoenix. Plius, I enjoy her interactions with the rest of the cast, especially Apollo with how much they play off each other as senior/junior employees. I also didn't mind her having accomplished as much as she had despite her age partially because of her motives/where she got it done. So far, AA-verse has established Europe as the mystical land people keep getting their jobs way too early so given Klavier and Franny, Athena being over there and deciding to push to for it when with her motives made sense.

In terms of Apollo, I'm actually really looking forward to when they get to his story. I didn't mind the character himself in AJ, but he suffered being just a replacement or stand in for Phoenix. Even when this game felt like it was more about Athena, Apollo got a lot of nice moments, clear characterization, and you see more sides to him in his work, relationships to Phoenix and Athena and Trucy, and hints to his backstory. I also actually really liked the reason for him covering his eye, since it shows a double-sided edge to his power. I wanted him to keep the jacket but oh well.

For Phoenix, he definitely felt like a supporting protagonist but that's not a bad thing. You see traces of both old Phoenix and Hobo!Phoenix, especially when you see him through Apollo and Athena's POV. If they phased him out more in the next game or gave him fewer cases, I wouldn't mind at all. It really feels like he's around to guide the next generation than anything else, much like Edgeworth and his comment about how he doesn't get to be in the courtroom much anymore because of his position and new duties.

Definitely worth the play, overall.

I know I'm whiny and moany about a lot of things but I simply HAVE to ask for your opinion on this...

I'm in the final bit of Chapter 4 and ever since somewhere into chapter 3 I've felt like the "humorous-characterization" of most characters startest stilting. I have laughed probably once genuinely since I beat case 2 and it's kinda bugging me. Occasionally Phoenix does come up with good lines in case 4 but it really feels like the comedic side of the script has stilted since the funny introduction with case 2... or maybe it's just as funny but they keep reusing the same "tropes", if you will in humor.

Agree, disagree? Am I just biased again? :meekins:

I feel like more of the humor is in the DLC case than others, but I didn't find the humor in the main cases that overused or unoriginal. I got a good chuckle as I played throughout case 2. Then again, I'm one of those who's played the Japanese version, and comparing them together somehow makes the jokes funnier... maybe because I don't expect how something will be changed and it works better this way than that way. I can get delirious after staring at two 3DS screens at the same time for a long time. Don't do that, kids.

...Ask someone else.

Robin Goodfellow wrote:
In terms of Athena's character, I don't consider her a mary sue. She's not my favorite assistent but in terms of general personality and stake in the plot, I feel like it works.

Hey, someone who sees it my way. I can see why she can be annoying, but it's not entirely her fault. It's tough being the latest "teenaged girl sidekick", and she just wanted to stand out. She ended getting more than she bargained for, though.

Gettin' Old!

linkenski wrote:
I know I'm whiny and moany about a lot of things but I simply HAVE to ask for your opinion on this...

I'm in the final bit of Chapter 4 and ever since somewhere into chapter 3 I've felt like the "humorous-characterization" of most characters startest stilting. I have laughed probably once genuinely since I beat case 2 and it's kinda bugging me. Occasionally Phoenix does come up with good lines in case 4 but it really feels like the comedic side of the script has stilted since the funny introduction with case 2... or maybe it's just as funny but they keep reusing the same "tropes", if you will in humor.

Agree, disagree? Am I just biased again? :meekins:

It was meant to be darker, I imagine that's reflected in more serious cases the more important they get to the plot.

Case 2 struck me as filler, a chance to introduce the new characters but with no actual connection to the themes, overarching plot or 'dark age of the law'.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Well, in that case I'm even more excited for the DLC case. The lack of balance between levity and seriousness does bug me a little bit and to be honest, the only AA stories that truly captivated me were PWAA's and AJAA's. It is starting to build up though (but I was spoiled about the end destination!! :'( )

I'm done, although it sure as hell doesn't feel like it; the ending was anticlimactic and so sudden it made my head spin, there really isn't any other way to describe it.

Overall though, I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would. The humor is great, Phoenix's involvement is just right, the music is great, the mood matrix is intriguing, the breakdowns are fantastic, and the cases and characters are for the most part interesting, which could be considered the most important of all.

Also, I love the thought route. It's a nice way to tidy things up in a wonderfully dramatic fashion, even if you can't fail it.

However, the game is not without its fair share of flaws.

1) My number one complaint is, as I thought it would be even before I started playing, Athena Cykes. I won't start yet another debate regarding her supposed status of a Mary Sue, but I WILL say that she shares a lot of similarities with (my interpretation) of one. She's 18, a lawyer, an analytical psychologist, pretty, knows martial arts, rarely wrong, constantly praised, her possessions are important, has a 'special gift' and only the villains really dislike her. She's also basically omnipresent and plays a huge role in every single case; I REALLY felt like the game would be better off if she were at least a little older and not constantly in focus.
Spoiler: Case 5 spoiler
However, one of the worst parts in the entire game was how Phoenix seemed to care more about saving her than Trucy who was being held hostage.

Honestly, I'm surprised Phoenix and Apollo managed to accomplish anything without her, considering how all-important she is.

And make no mistake, this is not Phoenix's story.

2) The 'Dark Age of the Law' thing feels so distant and vague that I wonder why they even bothered having a 'theme' to begin with. The one exception would be case 3.

3) Villains lack interesting motives.

4) Odd pacing, especially towards the end.

5) This may just be me, but I felt like it was sometimes hard keeping track on who did what and when at numerous points in several cases, which confused me.

6) The length of two cases baffled me.
Spoiler:
Case 3 just went on and on; did you really have to dress Athena up as a statue? On the other hand, case 4 ended before it had even begun.

Random thoughts:

How can the mood matrix even be allowed in court? It's not evidence, and only Athena can operate it (though that should come as a surprise to nobody). It also makes me wonder why people immediately confess what they felt once they've been caught.

I expected more of Blackquill's manipulations - we barely saw any of that.

Spoiler: Final boss spoilers
So, uh, what just happened? While I did like his emotion control thing he had going on, we didn't get any real explanation for it other than 'he's a spy'. Didn't he also get shot? How did he change faces? I'm just confused.

Thane wrote:
1) My number one complaint is, as I thought it would be even before I started playing, Athena Cykes. I won't start yet another debate regarding her supposed status of a Mary Sue, but I WILL say that she shares a lot of similarities with (my interpretation) of one. She's 18, a lawyer, an analytical psychologist, pretty, knows martial arts, rarely wrong, constantly praised, her possessions are important, has a 'special gift' and only the villains really dislike her. She's also basically omnipresent and plays a huge role in every single case; I REALLY felt like the game would be better off if she were at least a little older and not constantly in focus.
Spoiler: Case 5 spoiler
However, one of the worst parts in the entire game was how Phoenix seemed to care more about saving her than Trucy who was being held hostage.

That's pretty much what a Mary Sue is, except for one particular point: how exactly is she "rarely wrong"? Two reasons why she's constantly praised: (1) she's constantly wrong and fights to correct herself, and (2) she has trauma-induced breakdowns. I admit the attempts at reconciling her are rather corny friendship speeches, but not many things reach a person in that state anyway.
Spoiler: Response
As for Trucy, of course she'd be fine. Who could possibly doubt that Trucy was in any actual danger? She once helped her former Dad escape the court and she remained strong-willed even after he disappeared for so long.

Athena, meanwhile, was deep in depression in her lonely cell, and since Apollo was acting the douche, he wasn't helping. Who would be the worse off?

Quote:
6) The length of two cases baffled me.
Spoiler:
Case 3 just went on and on; did you really have to dress Athena up as a statue? On the other hand, case 4 ended before it had even begun.

Spoiler:
I blame those kids (and ronin). Also, yes, we really did have to dress up someone because moving a broken statue here from the stage would take too long. (What I'd like to question is, why is it that they couldn't summon up a projected image with their fancy technology, like in the movie? Maybe because a close-up picture wasn't submitted to the Court Record?)

Quote:
Random thoughts:

How can the mood matrix even be allowed in court? It's not evidence, and only Athena can operate it (though that should come as a surprise to nobody). It also makes me wonder why people immediately confess what they felt once they've been caught.

Only Filch does that. Everyone else has to be a pain by making the trial more complicated than it needs to. You said so yourself that case 3 dragged on.

It's allowed because Udgey said so. Haha, "therapy sessions".

Quote:
Spoiler: Final boss spoilers
So, uh, what just happened? While I did like his emotion control thing he had going on, we didn't get any real explanation for it other than 'he's a spy'. Didn't he also get shot? How did he change faces? I'm just confused.

Spoiler:
When in doubt, turn to the "Rule of Cool". Plus, he got shot, but it missed his vitals.

...This is why when you need an assassin, de Killer is the one to go to.

There is one very important part missing for Athena to be a full Mary Sue - people don't constantly talk about her (the admittedly rather few) times she's missing, except for when it's actually justified. And no, she's not constantly praised because of that...there are many times where everyone admires her for the most trivial thing.

Spoiler:
Also, Blackquill thanks everyone (especially Athena, of course) but Phoenix for his freedom, but invites himself to dinner. What a dick move!

I know, I know, but it still didn't make sense to me. It just felt like a cheap ploy to make the case longer.

Spoiler: Big Cheese spoilers
I know he was shot, but the game doesn't even answer any real questions regarding the phantom, such as where he was from, his name or anything like that. Not to mention everyone seems to not care about the sniper that shot him...wouldn't people start panicking if that happened?

Yeah, I woulda preferred if Apollo stayed suspicious around her from the beginning, rather than suddenly turned around and left the office just like that. It'd make the overall plot feel just a little more intertwined.
Spoiler: Well...
That's Blackquill for ya! What a great guy. Besides, Phoenix did most of the talking and thinking, but he didn't do it the most stylishly. Minus 2 to Brownie Points, bud.

More seriously, the team has taken almost every possible route for an introduction of Athena's character. From hence forth, she won't get to be the center of attention anymore. Whether or not Yamazaki was planning more for her, fan input will have a large impact on the development of the next games. Most likely, the next game will return to developing the plot holes left from Apollo's game, but I really hope that game won't shift the spotlight onto someone else *coughPhoenixcough* again.

Spoiler: Endgame
That was the entire point: to not know who the Phantom really is. I would have loved to know, but a name or face reveal wouldn't have been something that memorable. He's meant to be a trouble-making lackey for a mastermind behind the scenes. That's why the ending somewhat feels like a clifhanger; Edgey's off to investigate further while Nick foots yet another bill.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Yeah, I woulda preferred if Apollo stayed suspicious around her from the beginning, rather than suddenly turned around and left the office just like that. It'd make the overall plot feel just a little more intertwined.
Spoiler: Well...
That's Blackquill for ya! What a great guy. Besides, Phoenix did most of the talking and thinking, but he didn't do it the most stylishly. Minus 2 to Brownie Points, bud.

More seriously, the team has taken almost every possible route for an introduction of Athena's character. From hence forth, she won't get to be the center of attention anymore. Whether or not Yamazaki was planning more for her, fan input will have a large impact on the development of the next games. Most likely, the next game will return to developing the plot holes left from Apollo's game, but I really hope that game won't shift the spotlight onto someone else *coughPhoenixcough* again.

Spoiler: Endgame
That was the entire point: to not know who the Phantom really is. I would have loved to know, but a name or face reveal wouldn't have been something that memorable. He's meant to be a trouble-making lackey for a mastermind behind the scenes. That's why the ending somewhat feels like a clifhanger; Edgey's off to investigate further while Nick foots yet another bill.

Not to mention it might've even showed us that *gasp* not everybody thinks the best of Athena all the time? I know, it sounds crazy.

Heh, yeah I know, I was mostly joking. I loved Blackquill, and that scene just proved he had a somewhat normal sense of humor as well, even if it was a little dickish. Still, the two seemed to respect each other there at the end.

That is precisely what I'm hoping for. Honestly, given all the hype, I was expecting Apollo to do more this game than he actually did. Introducing a third protagonist was simply not a good move in my eyes. With any luck, they'll make something along the lines of Apollo Justice II next; there are still loose ends to be tied up there, after all, and it would be an opportunity to develop Apollo further (I feel like there's still a lot of potential left in that lad).

And while we're at it, we could give Klavier some emotions.

Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing Kristoph charming his way out of prison. Honestly, seeing him in the Wright Anything Agency all of a sudden with that grin on his face would be AMAZING. I mean, he screwed with three out of four people in the Agency pretty bad.

Surf's Up!

Spoiler: Case 3
I've just finished the third case, and I have to say I am really disappointed in this game. There I was, expecting to have to explain Aristotle's motive for killing Professor Courte, but instead I end up having to help with Athena's "show and tell" segment. Even worse, his motive is just blurted out by Blackquill after he's arrested.

Also, I'm really not fond of the whole "figuring out the case in [insert attorney here]'s head" bit.

I know that I have 3 cases to go (including the DLC case), but, for me, this is turning out to be my least favourite game in the series (more so than Apollo Justice was) .

Thane wrote:
I mean, he screwed with three out of four people in the Agency pretty bad.

What did he do to Apollo, again?

Ace Nobody

I've noticed far too many typos in the game, case 3's final confrontations especially. It's mostly been on stuff said when you press useless statements, but it's still very annoying.

Other than that, I'm loving the game. The character's are great, all the cases so far (I've played up to 3) are really fun and interesting, the music is amazing, and the graphics are spectacular.

I'm nervous and excited for cases 4 and 5, and I'm loving it.
Page 2 of 22 [ 866 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)