Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 2[ 69 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Robin Newman: The MAAAAANLIEST!!! {SPOILERS}Topic%20Title

Athena Internet Defense Force

I think Robin deserved a thread.

Something about all the yelling is charming.

Spoiler: Of course...
...we can't have a thread without discussing Robin's true nature. She's probably one of my favorite characters so far purely for the contrast.

Re: Robin Newman: The MAAAAANLIEST!!! {SPOILERS}Topic%20Title

Spoiler:
I tried to imagine her in reverse. Stereotypically girly character who turns out to be maaaaaaaaaanly guy... It really feels weird.

Ace Explorer

Spoiler:
I'm gonna be honest here, I'd totally go out with her, given the opportunity.

Well? Are we going or what?

Gettin' Old!

Robin Newman is A FINE EXAMPLE OF A MAAAAAAAAAN!!

I ABSOLUTELY LOOVVVVVVVVEEE HIS AWESOME INTENSITY IN THE COURTROOM!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

1000% Knight

That scene in court was... pretty awkward, though :payne:
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Gettin' Old!

Bad Player wrote:

Yes I felt bad afterwards it seemed...wrong

Spoiler: Robin's big twist
Sort of like....outing a gay guy or girl, forcing a secret like that out of someone. Something they'd probably rather keep secret. Well Robin actually coped with it pretty well, being all smiley and ditzy. I just felt had that been done with someone in real life, the person who exposed them in question would be getting a lot of bad press. Made Athena look pretty horrible how callously she revealed it.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

Sort of like....outing a gay guy or girl, forcing a secret like that out of someone. Something they'd probably rather keep secret. Well Robin actually coped with it pretty well, being all smiley and ditzy. I just felt had that been done with someone in real life, the person who exposed them in question would be getting a lot of bad press. Made Athena look pretty horrible how callously she revealed it.

Spoiler: The same thing.
I felt exactly the same way, but when I thought about it from the opposite perspective... what if she's a transgirl? It's not canon or anything, but it makes a lot more sense (in a modern context) that she was raised as a boy, and felt forced to keep up the appearance of one, if she was born in a male body. It's not as if you can't be a woman in the legal system, least of all in the world of Ace Attorney. She obviously feels liberated to be seen as a girl, and I find that overcompensating dichotomy of hyper-masculinity/hyper-femininity that she portrays rings truer to that interpretation than it would one of sexuality.

Still, I do think outing her sends the wrong message, even if she desperately wants to be herself. It's a horrible thing to do to someone, and it can put that person in very real danger. Especially since Athena outed her over... liking girly clothes? Come on now.

All things considered, though, I think she's a real sweetheart. Robin's one of my favourites from this game.

Ultimate Survivor

Perhaps this was answered in another thread, or maybe it was better explained in the Japanese version...

Spoiler:
Was there ever any reason given as to why Robin was forced to live as a boy, besides her parents just, uh...wanting her to?

Now, even if you apologize...I will not forgive you.

Ace Explorer

emimprov wrote:
Perhaps this was answered in another thread, or maybe it was better explained in the Japanese version...

Spoiler:
Was there ever any reason given as to why Robin was forced to live as a boy, besides her parents just, uh...wanting her to?

I've wondered that myself... And I hope it's explained in the Japanese version.
With it being so important (at least in the first trial day) you'd think they'd go over it in more detail.

...Then again, other parts of the game's story seemed a bit... rushed, so... :ron:

Racing through the sky like a Missile

emimprov wrote:

Spoiler:

Excuse me for crushing your hopes, but the original version gives nothing else. In fact, I was disappointed that the localization DIDN'T do anything to change that bit. It's one of those things that you can sort of take for granted in one version, but not the other, given the different cultural backgrounds. But even among the Japanese fanbase, many found it a bit extreme.

Never mind that. Where's the boy genius thread?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

1000% Knight

Coyote wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

I felt exactly the same way, but when I thought about it from the opposite perspective... what if she's a transgirl? It's not canon or anything, but it makes a lot more sense (in a modern context) that she was raised as a boy, and felt forced to keep up the appearance of one, if she was born in a male body. It's not as if you can't be a woman in the legal system, least of all in the world of Ace Attorney. She obviously feels liberated to be seen as a girl, and I find that overcompensating dichotomy of hyper-masculinity/hyper-femininity that she portrays rings truer to that interpretation than it would one of sexuality.

Still, I do think outing her sends the wrong message, even if she desperately wants to be herself. It's a horrible thing to do to someone, and it can put that person in very real danger. Especially since Athena outed her over... liking girly clothes? Come on now.

All things considered, though, I think she's a real sweetheart. Robin's one of my favourites from this game.

Don't forget the "Robin can't be a man! Robin is so intense, and there's no way a woman could be like that!" >_>

I initially thought Robin was going to be gay and/or trans and/or a crossdresser. But... nope.

Not only that, but it didn't even seem to have to do with anything afterwards. Even now I can't remember how Robin's testimony as a whole mattered/fit into everything ~_~

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
emimprov wrote:

Spoiler:

Excuse me for crushing your hopes, but the original version gives nothing else. In fact, I was disappointed that the localization DIDN'T do anything to change that bit. It's one of those things that you can sort of take for granted in one version, but not the other, given the different cultural backgrounds. But even among the Japanese fanbase, many found it a bit extreme.

Source?
(*wants to invade Japanese AA fandom*)

Bad Player wrote:
Not only that, but it didn't even seem to have to do with anything afterwards. Even now I can't remember how Robin's testimony as a whole mattered/fit into everything ~_~

Spoiler: An awful writing choice.
The only reason was to make her seem suspicious. The recording is of a woman's voice, and therefore... if Robin is a woman, she must secretly have a completely different voice? Or something? Which makes no sense to begin with, and especially so given that even after she's outed, her voice is the most androgynous Young Anime Boy voice possible.

The entire affair is strangely sexist, as if it needed any more things wrong with it. She couldn't have... been a tomboy? I don't get it. Surely there was another way to place suspicion on her? It was a really unfortunate choice. I would have at least liked to see how it affected her life. Even though she isn't trans in canon, it's a pretty direct parallel, and everyone's flippant attitudes toward it really trivialize how hard it is for real people to socially transition. And how does this affect her relationship with her parents, for that matter?

Spoiler:
She is trans? Uhh... How so? I dont see it... She is presumably girl-to-boy trans or boy-to-girl, anyway...?

Sligneris wrote:
Spoiler:
She is trans? Uhh... How so? I dont see it... She is presumably girl-to-boy trans or boy-to-girl, anyway...?

Spoiler:
She is not written as trans, but I don't understand how you can't see that it's a similar experience? She was raised as a boy, but suffers over that because she's really a girl. You really don't see how someone might draw the connection to transwomen from there, or why the way she was written has some unfortunate implications?

Spoiler:
Well, she was born a girl and still is a girl... So no, I don't see it. With parents raising her as a boy, they wouldn't have her undergo gender change operation.

Sligneris wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, she was born a girl and still is a girl... So no, I don't see it.

Alright, then. I'm not going to fight you on this, but... maybe look into some accounts from people who have actually been raised the opposite gender, and how that affects them beyond their physical bodies? I'm not qualified to speak. I don't think you're hateful, but I do think you might be a little misinformed or under-informed about this.

(Edited because it sounded condescending when I read it back. We keep getting into scuffles about this kind of stuff, but I don't mean any ill will.) (Edited again because I missed a word. Whoops.)

Last edited by Coyote on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bad Player wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
emimprov wrote:

Spoiler:

Source?
(*wants to invade Japanese AA fandom*)

what who needs sources I dunno; I got that impression from somewhere one time I was browsing 2ch's GS threads, but I suppose I could be misremembering it.
Wait, what's this GyakuSai Pokemon Trial thread about...?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Art Person

Robin was my favourite Case 3 Character!
Let's just say Robin is G.R.E.A.T! :gbaglove:
(Best I could do)

Gettin' Old!

I see we just ain't tagging spoilers here XD well it is marked.

I had thought it was mentioned in a throwaway line somewhere that her parents had really wanted a boy or that the Prosecution course was somewhat biased towards male prosecutors and she was doing it to have the best chance of success.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Coyote wrote:
Sligneris wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, she was born a girl and still is a girl... So no, I don't see it.

Alright, then. I'm not going to fight you on this, but... maybe look into some accounts from people who have actually been raised the opposite gender, and how that affects them beyond their physical bodies? I'm not qualified to speak. I don't think you're hateful, but I do think you might be a little misinformed or under-informed about this.

(Edited because it sounded condescending when I read it back. We keep getting into scuffles about this kind of stuff, but I don't mean any ill will.) (Edited again because I missed a word. Whoops.)

You know, I edited my post too ^^;

Also, it definitely is not the case until the end of the game and and even then, she actually seems to be more comfortable with being a girl...

Still don't get why she would be transgendered.

1000% Knight

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
what who needs sources I dunno; I got that impression from somewhere one time I was browsing 2ch's GS threads, but I suppose I could be misremembering it.
Wait, what's this GyakuSai Pokemon Trial thread about...?

Argh nuuuu, 2ch is too intense for me. I can never make it through more than few posts, and finding cool threads is so hard xD

Sligneris wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, she was born a girl and still is a girl... So no, I don't see it. With parents raising her as a boy, they wouldn't have her undergo gender change operation.

Like Coyote said, Robin isn't actually trans, but is basically written as (an analog to) one. The important thing is that Robin was raised as a gender that isn't her own. It's not "she was born a girl and is a girl"; it's "she was raised a boy and is a girl." For most (all?) trans people, this is because their gender is different from their physical sex, and most(/all) people are raised according to their physical sex. For Robin, however, she was raised different from her true gender... because her parents are jerks. Still, (assuming their intention was to create a "trans character,") this allowed them to put in a basically-trans character without putting in a (controversial) actually-trans character.

Hmm... I wonder if the original intention was for Robin to actually be trans, but then the higher-ups forced them to change it to avoid controversy? It would explain why there's only a token explanation for why Robin was raised as a boy... (Although considering how many problems DD has, I'm not going to bank too hard on this ~_~)

Bad Player wrote:
Hmm... I wonder if the original intention was for Robin to actually be trans, but then the higher-ups forced them to change it to avoid controversy? It would explain why there's only a token explanation for why Robin was raised as a boy... (Although considering how many problems DD has, I'm not going to bank too hard on this ~_~)

It's right next to her second concept design... I think... Not, really.

That, and they very certainly wanted players to interact with her female self. Having a still-male character behaving like this... (you know, people don't change their gender in one day) ...I don't think I need to comment.

[Whip the cream!]

Coyote wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

Yes, I agree here. Spoiler-tagging just in case.
Spoiler:
I actually thought she was a girl first, I got surprised when they said she was a boy... then apparently she was a girl. Anyhow, I always saw the whole fact as... like, trans, but reversed. The idea of her as a trans girl therefore seems very valid to me even if she wasn't that in canon.
The outing was very... odd, to say the least, and yes, doing such a thing is very wrong, even though it wasn't a roblem for Robin, who just felt liberated.
I hated all the reactions, though; No way, that's insane, she can't be a girl.
And I found it rather silly that she started to faint and such only after being outed. If anything she should have trouble breathing with that restraint-thingie and all the yelling.

And also: I loved Robin.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

The video game boy; the one who wins

I think the Robin-as-a-symbol-for-transsexuality is interesting, and it does make sense. I mean, if it wasn't for her breasts (because I doubt that she, in her situation, would have had the opportunity to take hormones) she could just as well have been a transperson; her story with being raised as a boy and keeping up the appearance even in front of her closest friends, trying to act stereotypically manly while being drawn to all things considered female, it does sound like a typical scenario for a transperson, especially since she was trying so hard to hide it yet seemed so revealed when it was finally out in the open. Intended or not, it's cool that they at least touched the surface of the issue.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

ROBIN IS A-W-E-S-O-M-E MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Her animation where she covers her face is one of my favourites in the game, she's adorable. She also has the cringiest line in the game though "full on YOLO is what art's all about", uuuuuuuuuugh.

When Athena was dragging out the truth (glad other people had a problem with that too, it was fucked up), I was actually hoping she was a cross dresser but nope, she just has awful parents.
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

[Whip the cream!]

GoingforMiles wrote:
I think the Robin-as-a-symbol-for-transsexuality is interesting, and it does make sense. I mean, if it wasn't for her breasts (because I doubt that she, in her situation, would have had the opportunity to take hormones) she could just as well have been a transperson; her story with being raised as a boy and keeping up the appearance even in front of her closest friends, trying to act stereotypically manly while being drawn to all things considered female, it does sound like a typical scenario for a transperson, especially since she was trying so hard to hide it yet seemed so revealed when it was finally out in the open. Intended or not, it's cool that they at least touched the surface of the issue.

I absolutely agree here.

...which almost makes the outing even more unsettling. :sadshoe:
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Why hasn't someone mentioned one of the best references in this game?

Mr. Birdman

I've lately gotten into switching Simon for Harvey.

PW: AA: TAT 5 is best case.

Spoiler:
I was very shocked when it was revealed that Robin was a girl. Never seen anything like that in an AA game xD

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

Mr. Birdman

Oh that was a reference to something? I thought she was just being cute.
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

Spoiler:
I read a lot on the forums that case 3 was supposed to be very good, but I kinda didn't enjoy it that much at first. In fact I found Robin really annoying when she was first introduced. However, as her true gender began to be revealed, I was pretty amazed. I hadn't expected to see anything like that handled in AA. Sure, she wasn't actually transgender, and I'm slightly disappointed they didn't go for that, but it still touches on it, which really impressed me. That being said, I found the way they handled it after the reveal was a little sloppy. Robin just seemed to be fine afterwards, and I feel it would have been better for her feelings to have been fully explained and developed on.

Anyway, I was genuinely shocked when that twist was revealed, I had no idea that Robin was a girl. :adrian:

Louise wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

Mr. Birdman

Oh that was a reference to something? I thought she was just being cute.

It's an American thing. Capcom US even published a game based on the series that plays like Ace Attorney.

The fact that Phoenix is the name of a bird is a coincidence, but the fact Blackquill has a bird on his shoulder isn't. :acro:

Before DD was released I was actually kinda wondering whether there would ever be a trap character in AA series. I guessed right, in a way.

However, the fact she was female was kinda obvious from the moment she appeared in the intro... xD

Sligneris wrote:
Before DD was released I was actually kinda wondering whether there would ever be a trap character in AA series. I guessed right, in a way.

However, the fact she was female was kinda obvious from the moment she appeared in the intro... xD

Spoiler:
Looking back on it, I guess she was quite feminine-looking from the start, but I just assumed that was just the anime style of having feminine-looking male characters.

Spoiler:
Well, it was suspicious that she looked more similar to Juniper than to "another" male on the picture.

Sligneris wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, it was suspicious that she looked more similar to Juniper than to "another" male on the picture.

Spoiler:
I still just thought that was the art style. I guess I'm really slow on the uptake. :oops: Maybe her going on about manliness should have been a clue.

Gettin' Old!

Spoiler:
Actually for me it was her name that was the biggest hint. Robin is a completely unisex name, there's not too many like that so it made me a little curious.

Ah seeing that concept art of Robin smashing a plate just makes me remember how AWWWWEEESSSOOMMMMEEEEE Robin is!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Art Person

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

Mr. Birdman

Hah! :godot: I had to have it pointed out to finally get the reference. :sadshoe:

Also, did Robin really say "YOLO"? Was it when you press her? Or normal text, because I missed that.

Ace Explorer

SuperAj3 wrote:
Also, did Robin really say "YOLO"? Was it when you press her? Or normal text, because I missed that.

It was in the second investigation, when presenting irrelevant evidence to her, IIRC.

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

I don't know about you guys. But when I first encountered Robin, I thought that he was.......Hot?
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

BonnyMono wrote:
I don't know about you guys. But when I first encountered Robin, I thought that he was.......Hot?

I so c wat u did thar.

Page 1 of 2 [ 69 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)