Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 1 of 2[ 47 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you want another main series game after this one?Topic%20Title

A New Chapter of Trials!

I've seen a lot of people commenting on the finality of this game and how they wouldn't mind the series ending here or they hope it does end here. I've just been wondering what people think in general about this.

Personally, I don't want the series to end with this entry. Say what you will about franchise zombie and such, I think I will go crazy if they don't finally address the whole thing where:
Spoiler: 4-4 and 6-5
Apollo and Trucy are siblings. Seriously, it's been almost ten years since this plot point was introduced. I don't know if I can take it much longer! Even if it doesn't change anything, I just want it to stop looming over the series.

I would be pretty interested in them doing some kind of reboot focusing on a new set of characters in the AA world too. I also think a game set in Khura'in could be interesting, but not very likely.

Plus, quality mystery games are hardly a particularly common thing, I take as many as I can get, but I digress.
Eureka!
Re: Do you want another main series game after this one?Topic%20Title

The cape is self-fluttering

Apollon wrote:
Spoiler: 4-4 and 6-5
Apollo and Trucy are siblings. Seriously, it's been almost ten years since this plot point was introduced. I don't know if I can take it much longer! Even if it doesn't change anything, I just want it to stop looming over the series.

Spoiler:
I will be surprised if this doesn't get resolved next game. I mean, what's the point of bringing it up if they're just going to drop the subject again?

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

A Kirby and AA fan

Yep, I am pretty much in complete agreement, though I don't really care much about the plot point you mentioned.
I love Ace Attorney and I would be sad if there won't be any more

Gettin' Old!

Whatcha talking about? Finality? I see more potential than ever in the series!

Spoiler: Endgame
Now Apollo has the chance for a whole trilogy of his own! He even has his own Larry Maya and Pearl equivalent! The new setting and office allows them to field a whole other bunch of cases as well.

Hell its easy to see them doing the whole Pokémon thing and selling a different game for each lawyer at this point.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I definitely want the main series to continue, but I think they have more room for what the definition of that is. I have a lot of thoughts on this.

I definitely don't want the series to "end", but I think as western fans we have two definitions of "ending": One is for the games to stop being made altogether, and the other is that the franchise continues but they aren't localized - which in a way is it "ending" for those of us who can't read Japanese (and even if you can you could argue it's the end of the "localized" incarnation of the characters).

If GS7 was announced tomorrow and Capcom USA said that it wouldn't be coming over, I would be extremely sad but SoJ gave us an ending which in my opinion works as a series finale so it would not be as troublesome for me as if, say, GS6 hadn't been localized. So for me at least, it's not so much that I want the series to end, but rather I'm happy that we got the ending we did because if another game isn't localized, we got an arguably acceptable "series finale".

There's also a weird place for western fans in regards to protagonist switches. AA is reminiscent of the original Law & Order to me in this regard. The original Law & Order lasted for 20 years, and characters would come in an out through what was called the "revolving door" - someone (ex. Phoenix) would take over right as someone was leaving (ex. Mia) so because of that, fans of certain characters or arcs can get closure (I'd argue GS6 gave us that) but then the franchise can keep going with new characters. You as an audience member can kind of stay with it until you're done and then you get some closure no matter what. I could see AA going for another 20 years in the same way.

Once again, though, it's a different story in the west. GS7 might feature a completely new character, or might not have Phoenix in it, and in some ways that's the more innovative approach to take, but it also means that we might not get it.

So because of this, I have conflicting feelings. For the work's sake itself, I think I'd like a new protagonist like Athena to take over the main role and be the sole playable character so we can really follow the character through the game. But as a western fan who wants the game localized, I want Phoenix in just big enough of a role that Capcom USA deems it worthy of localizing. So I kind of feel like the game I want and the game I'll get will be different things.

So I'd like Phoenix and the Wright Anything Agency back in order to ensure we can get the game in the first place. However, going back to what I was saying before about them having more leeway to determine what the main AA actually is, I'd like to see some radical new and interesting gameplay or narrative techniques in GS7. I almost want GS7 to be a main game narrative-wise but a spin-off gameplay wise. Bring something new to the table. I think as long as it has court cross-examinations, anything else fits fine in the game. I love the classic visual-novel investigations of GS1-6, but maybe it's time to blend AAI's investigations (or something similar) to the classic court gameplay?

Regarding spoilery stuff:

Spoiler: 4-4 and 6-5 (what you guys are talking about)
Personally I felt that was resolved in this game, and I got the impression that they were telling us it was going to happen offscreen. I made a whole topic explaining why I thought it wouldn't (and perhaps shouldn't) come up again here in the GS6 forum, but basically I feel like it's a plot element with huge importance but with relatively little impact both characterization and narrative wise. But regardless of what I think I don't really see it coming back, although I wouldn't mind if it was handled well and didn't set itself up to be bigger than it should be. But I'm satisfied knowing that by the time the DLC case happens Trucy probably knows already.

Something else I'm thinking about:
Spoiler: DLC case, as well as 6-5
I'm only on the first trial of the DLC, but it complicates my feelings a little bit in regard to Nick and Maya. I think Apollo got a great finale. I think it's fine if he comes back (but hopefully not for a while timeline-wise; I don't want them to undermine the importance of what Apollo decided) but honestly I'm fine with it being his final ending (it has that open-ended-yet-conclusive ending that Phoenix got in GS1). However, based on what I've seen of the DLC, Phoenix and Maya are kind of back to their routine. I don't know the ending of the DLC yet, but considering it probably doesn't have a big ending for Nick and Maya but probably wraps up like a normal case, I'm not sure if this is the best final case for them. If GS6 is the last game we get, I might be a little disappointed if there's not some kind of reflective moment at the end of the DLC or anything. So in that sense I'd be fine with them coming back for GS7 as they've given their interplay a "rebirth" and haven't done anything really with it yet.

Of course, if at the end of the DLC Nick and Maya have a moment where they find themselves in similar places to at the end of GS2 or 3 (ex. them reflecting at all the adventures they've had and all the ones they will in the future or something) then it would be ok. But if the case just ends in the lobby or ends on a joke or something I'll feel like they could use another wrap-up. Not one as dramatic as 3-5 or anything, but more just a "we're aware of our roles in this thing as guiding characters who have all our character arcs finished" thing.

Pierre wrote:
Whatcha talking about? Finality? I see more potential than ever in the series!

Now Apollo has the chance for a whole trilogy of his own! He even has his own Larry Maya and Pearl equivalent! The new setting and office allows them to field a whole other bunch of cases as well.

Hell its easy to see them doing the whole Pokémon thing and selling a different game for each lawyer at this point.

Spoiler: Response, 6-5 spoilers
I think what's so great about SoJ's finale is that it's one of those perfect endings (just like GS1's ending) where it's both open-ended and final at the same time. If GS1 had been the only game ever to come out, the ending would have felt "final" in the sense that Phoenix did what he wanted to do and passed his trials. He now had his whole life open. But it also provides tons of room for sequels. SoJ's ending gives Apollo this, in my opinion. Apollo is now in a place where he can have all these adventures of his own, and I'm fine if we leave him in that wonderful point in his life. There's no cliff-hangers; he looks to have a wonderful, if chaotic life over there. It makes you feel good.

At the same time, it's also open-ended enough that they could make more Apollo games. Since Apollo is my favorite lawyer I'd love an Apollo spin-off (especially since Ema obviously is in Khurain a lot; maybe they could even get Trucy to be the assistant!) but I also wouldn't count on it getting localized so I can't be too excited for that kind of thing at this point in time.

So in conclusion, I don't want the series to end, but I think SoJ was a good enough ending that I think they can experiment a lot more and do new and different things for GS7. I just hope it gets localized.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

A New Chapter of Trials!

Well, as Yamazaki himself put it: "The future of Ace Attorney lies before us, its potential is as wide and infinite as the oceans. Where the series will go is up to you, the players, so please definitely let us know what you’d like to see." SoJ's ending certainly makes it so that the next game could go in any number of directions. Just... as long as the games get localized I'm fine. I don't know how many more awesome looking lawyer games being Japan-only I can deal with!
Eureka!

The video game boy; the one who wins

I loved this game and I'm scared of the series getting watered out, so I say quit while on top (as far as the Yamazaki made games are concerned, this was easily the best for me). I'd be very satisfied with this as an ending.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I hope that if there is another main game, it gets localized.
Spoiler: SoJ protagonists
Apollo has made the decision to stay in Khura'in. That right there has potential for a spin-off. He could get his own assistant, and the game can expand on the Divination Séance. Considering the villain of SoJ was the queen, I wonder what's next for him to do.

I think Phoenix fulfilled his role of passing to torch to Apollo. I think he's best suited to take the mentor role, so he can be present in future games, just not as playable (maybe an assistant?).

Athena is in a similar position to what Phoenix was in at the end of AA1. They accomplished their goals as a lawyer and they developed. Their stories could either end there or be used as a jumping off point for bigger things.

If Soj has proved one thing, is that these guys learn from the feedback (see how they addressed and/or fixed most of the complaints people had after DD), so I think the next game could be even better (SoJ is probably a solid third in my AA games rank). I also didn't get a feeling of finality comparable to T&T. I think at least one more game is called for. I'm kinda curious where they're going to next.
Spoiler: 6-5 ending
It could be Apollo's adventures in Khura'in, Phoenix and Maya getting back to business or Athena taking her turn to grow as a lawyer. Honestly, it's probably going to be a bit of everything, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

Perhaps it's kind of petty, but I'll genuinely be sad whenever the series ends. It's not something that I want to end, unless it drastically takes a turn for the worse at some point in the future. The characters and the world that have been built thus far are so enjoyable to simply be in. In an industry that so rarely focuses on any level of characterization past the main protagonist of the game, I would be pretty sad to see a universe full of real, fleshed out characters come to an end. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I hope it's not anytime soon.
"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

One thing I found myself thinking as I was playing through the DLC, both the "real" case and the two little joke ones, is that I would love to have more downloadable standalone cases more than I'd love to have another full game.

There are just so many characters now that it's hard to cram them all into one game and have it make sense, at the same time it's weird for characters that had previously been really important not to ever be brought up. If they just did stand alone cases they could pick and choose whoever and whatever was relevant to that specific case, without locking other major characters out from whatever the next event was. You could also do more mixing and matching between defense attorneys, side kicks, and prosecutors.

Weirdly, the best example I can think of is what happened with the Toy Story series after the third movie came out. They did random shorts and specials, often focusing on characters besides Buzz and Woody. They had more freedom to explore because they weren't full movies. I'd love for them to have that freedom with Ace Attorney.

A dragon never yields!

I think it's in a good spot - if we never get another main game, it ended at a nice point (both the ending of Case 5, and the nostalgic feeling of the DLC case), but it was also open ended enough that they could definitely do more games.

It did feel a bit like the ending of a second trilogy to me though, so as much as I would like another game, I wonder if they'll shake things up and make things as different as AA4 did.

*sigh* I'm one of those people who wished that it ended at T&T. I'm pretty much indifferent at this point

Beauty and grace.

I'd definitely like a new game, and maybe even a spin-off for Apollo, but I also feel like the ending was conclusive enough that I'm not scrambling for the next game.

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee...

Phoenix_Wrong wrote:
*sigh* I'm one of those people who wished that it ended at T&T. I'm pretty much indifferent at this point

I'm with you here. While I thought Apollo Justice's first game had a lot of potential for a similar trilogy, Dual Destines and Spirit of Justice have taken the wind out of the sails for the series for me. The story is simply not there in terms of flowing plots and character connectedness. The main characters felt so pidgeon-holed into Spirit of Justice and it ruined the story for me.

I kind of want to go back to the days where Phoenix was disbarred for forging evidence.

Happy Maria

I sorta want AA7 to be the wrap up to Apollo's arc.

Wotter boy

Honestly, the way I see AA7 atm is two choices:
Spoiler:
Choice A) Focusing on Apollo, Nahyuta and Rayfa fixing Khura'in's broken legal system

Choice B) Focusing on Athena's growth as a lawyer. Maybe with assistant Trucy and AJ-style mentor Phoenix, but without the hobo.

Spoiler:
I want it to focus on Phoenix and finish up his backstory especially with Iris, as I feel like it hasn't been explored enough

Racing through the sky like a Missile

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
Honestly, the way I see AA7 atm is two choices:
Spoiler:
Choice A) Focusing on Apollo, Nahyuta and Rayfa fixing Khura'in's broken legal system

Choice B) Focusing on Athena's growth as a lawyer. Maybe with assistant Trucy and AJ-style mentor Phoenix, but without the hobo.

Spoiler:
Choice C) An awkward mix of both with a little international conspiracy thrown in for good measure and they'll all end up in space somehow for some reason.

I'm only half-joking. With the direction of the games starting from DD, with a little bit of inspiration from AJ, they really seem to be building up to something so grandiose that it'll affect more than just a few neighboring countries. From the latest interview, the devs seemed honestly interested in Europe, but they couldn't fit it into this game because it didn't fit with their theme.

Now, I'd like to see where they'll take the series because this game, while a decent entry, doesn't feel like a finale to wrap up the whole thing. Back when AJ and DD came out, I wondered if the sixth entry could help build up to a series finale in AA7, but now that we have it, I'm not so sure anymore. It seems more likely that AA7 will just be the start of a new "trilogy", if they even push it that far. At the very least, if it's set in Europe, Athena may actually have a good chance to be the MC.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Had it been Europe like a world tour or something it would've been strangely timely considering all the stuff about Britain quitting EU, and all the debates they've had in my country too about what the future is if more countries split up.

Regarding SoJ as an ending, as much as the ending here could be Apollo's end destination it just leaves open so many doors for his story to continue IMO. Obviously he's gonna face his toughest time professionally next considering what he decides to do. It would almost be a shame not to have a game about that and more Seance. Or perhaps cooler, a new GK-game, maybe even as a new protagonist, where Apollo is a main supporting role, who'll handle your victories in court for you, so he has an investment in checking in on your investigations.

Spoiler: AA6 full spoilers
That line of thought sparked an idea. What if Apollo and the revolutionaries managed to establish a new law where it's the opposite of back home so the detectives pair up with defense attorneys and trials are innocent until proven guilty. Then the main theme could be something along the lines of "Going too far to change something despite a good intention".

I wonder, if Yamazaki backs down for a while and takes on a less stressing role for another project, maybe he'll just start scribbling ideas for an SoJ continuation he can pitch after Team Eshrio has made AA7 or something. But, alas and Occam's Razor. Most likely scenario is that he's simply done for a while because he's been going at it so consistently and hard since 2008.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Game Grumps need to play Ace Attorney

Would love another trilogy of main series games! Don't know who would star in them though, maybe Athena...

Deception&&contradiction

I have'nt seen anyone say this but Yes and No.
Yes for the same reason everyone else has said to resolve the sibling issue long hanging over your head and I wanna see a family reunion and how it would go down.
Especially with how Apollo treats parental figures..

But what I'd like much more is to go down the road that Shu Takumi has carved. Dai Gyakuten Saiban.
It does'nt rely on returning fanservice characters.
The fact it happens in the far past makes it feels fresh and different. I guess Khura'in does to some extent but with the same characters it kinda does'nt feel the same.
It really revitalizes the series for me and it's something I can only feel by actually playing it now.
I know we all want it localized by Capcom USA has it that only Phoenix Wright name will sell, sadly.
They could come with a similar name to him on the box, I mean that logo is pretty much iconic already..
And AAI3 please, just to cap off Edgeworth's rise to Head Prosecutor and bring it to a satisfying close.

Happy Maria

The sad thing is,while DGS is pretty great,
Spoiler: vague whole game
It suffers from a lot of problems that people have about Yamazaki's games,like reused plot/characters and divisive endings.

Wotter boy

Things I want in AA7
Spoiler:
If we focus on Athena:
AJ!Style mentor Phoenix Wright (either have no playable cases, or only DLC cases, which, I think would do him well)
Assistant!Trucy
Assistant Blackquill maybe
Klavier finally having a main role again?
ASSISTANT!UENDO AND THE DARK SIDE OF RAKUGO?!!?!
Athena growing into her own and becoming awesome and stuff
PEARL!?!?1
Proving Bobby Fulbright wasn't dead and him and Simon can be happy together

If we focus on Apollo:
Rebuilding Khura'in?
Assistant!Ahlbi
More char. development or Nahyuta
Rayfa, Amara and Nahyuta having family bonding?
More Datz and Beh'leeb?
More world-building pls
Make Khura'in great again

Either/or:
FRANZISKA?!
WINSTON PAYNE?!!?
Fluff
A case about Trucy, Apollo and Thallassa?

Happy Maria

A lot of stuff you brought up is just pail old improbable.

So? One can always dream. As for myself I hope this is the end of the series but I'm worried that might not happen.

Happy Maria

'Pail old'? Really,me? I'm keeping that.

To Miles,btw,it can't be due to the ending scene. If it ends now,you won't get proper closure to....it.

Pschht xD
Ah, that can happen off-screen. At least now we can assume that they will get to know about it... someday.

Happy Maria

That was the assumption in AJ. But since they repeated it here,then it seems very likely that an AA7 will come.

I wonder who'll direct it this time,though.

My money is on Fuse. Eshiro said he did a good job at co-directing, didn't he?

If you asked me before I finished AA6, I'd say yes! I really do think AA is just such a great mystery series that any game providing more mysteries is well worth a buy for me

After finishing AA6, I think I'm alright with the series ending here. I think the mark of a great game is one that takes its premise and absolutely milks every element of it to its full potential. The way Spirit of Justice tied in a new country, new laws, revolution, Divination Seances, Apollo and most importantly spirit channeling was done so phenomenally that I really don't think this one can be topped. I do wish we had a final villain that wasn't so average to go out on but it's not a huge deal to me

I wouldn't mind a GK3 though, but I understand if Yamazaki's all tired out

I'd like for Athena to grow enough that she can overcome her inexperience in court already. She has promise.

That and
Spoiler: AA6 Spoilers
as the others have said Apollo left off at a really great place with great potential. Maybe even Nahyuta can show a more gentle and less malevolent side now that he's no longer under Ga'ran's thumb, too. Give him some Edgeworth-style post characterization that helps flesh him out and become more likeable.

Do that and I'll throw grape juice at u

Of course I want another main game! Localization does not have a good track record in localizing the spin offs. I hope the series never ends, I want to keep playing until I die. Although I do see a potential in

Apollo having his own series based in Khura'in. I would love having Apollo as a series protagonist again. I loved playing him in Apollo Justice

Plus since the premise of the game is defending your clients there's so much possibilities of story lines. It's refreshing as in it's not concentrated on one plot point or one goal in mind that just drags on as more games come out and gets tiring/boring. We could always have new prosecutors and attorneys, new plots, new styles of murder and conspiracies.

The possibilities are endless! :edgey:
:gant: Evil people eat Oreos :gant:
Please donate if you can @ http://www.youcaring.com/epichugger

Yes, I want another entry. There are too many questions left unanswered.

Remember Missile.x?...You don't!?

I'd be incredibly disappointed were this the last game. Not because it ended badly or anything, I just really like playing these games and they're a big part of my life.

Spoiler: 6-5
Would be happy with Apollo protagonist game in Khura'in, but equally as happy with Athena...come to mention it, I don't get sick of Phoenix, so would play another game with him as well. I enjoyed that this one and DD were split between several attorneys.

I feel a bit like SoJ was showing Phoenix had come full-circle when they put him up against Apollo in case 5. I felt like he's very much becoming "the Mentor" character, so bearing that in mind, I'd be fine with them taking away his gameplay, so long as they didn't get rid of him entirely. Like, I want to have Phoenix around.

Sidenote: I said this to my brother when it became clear I had to go up against Phoenix in court and then immediately got worried they were going to have him killed off later like they did with Mia... :mia:

My frilly cravat makes one strong fashion statement.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Spoiler: SoJ
I think it's possible for the series to end here. Athena found a new motivation for being a lawyer and Apollo has his own mission to follow. If the series stays popular and there's money to be made, I'm sure there will be more games.
I'd like the next game to be a spin-off focusing on Apollo's adventures in Khura'in, and then the next game can be a main series one. However, after taking down the queen, what is next for Apollo to do?

I miss Klavier... Weren't Apollo, Trucy, Email and him the second quadrant? Then they added even more characters....

Klavier-Nayuta tag team please.
Feel free to reply.
Or not.
Thanks though!

Wotter boy

Can I have very emotional Athena vs. Klavier next game

Team Defense Attorney!

Beautiful_Blue wrote:
One thing I found myself thinking as I was playing through the DLC, both the "real" case and the two little joke ones, is that I would love to have more downloadable standalone cases more than I'd love to have another full game.

There are just so many characters now that it's hard to cram them all into one game and have it make sense, at the same time it's weird for characters that had previously been really important not to ever be brought up. If they just did stand alone cases they could pick and choose whoever and whatever was relevant to that specific case, without locking other major characters out from whatever the next event was. You could also do more mixing and matching between defense attorneys, side kicks, and prosecutors.

I like the way you think! =)

D.A. McCoy wrote:
There's also a weird place for western fans in regards to protagonist switches. AA is reminiscent of the original Law & Order to me in this regard. The original Law & Order lasted for 20 years, and characters would come in an out through what was called the "revolving door" - someone (ex. Phoenix) would take over right as someone was leaving (ex. Mia) so because of that, fans of certain characters or arcs can get closure (I'd argue GS6 gave us that) but then the franchise can keep going with new characters. You as an audience member can kind of stay with it until you're done and then you get some closure no matter what. I could see AA going for another 20 years in the same way.

I also like this idea as well ^_^

~ Personally, I am 100% happy with the ending in SOJ and with the series ending here. If I was really reaching, I would say that I would like another main game just so Athena can have more time in the limelight. But for now, I'm just looking forward to the day DGS and DGS2 get localized haha.
Credit goes to shadow_lepus

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I found SoJ to be... "just ok". I didn't love it and I didn't hate it but I did like it and I loved how vivid and colorful and modern-looking it felt.

Going with that thought I'm fine if there's no more "ordinary" Ace Attorney but I'm also completely fine with it if they create more, but I do think the series could stand to challenge itself again at this point in some ways. Just having an interactive novel reusing the same tired old tropes for characters and plot is just not going to excite me anymore unless they make subversive use of the tropes or create mysteries that are more engaging than those in SoJ.

I really feel they should branch the concept out to new game-design ideas like branching cases that can be resolved in two different ways or going Gyakuten Kenji or DGS where they explore a new game-flow that still feels somewhat Ace Attorney in its mechanics.

I would also like to see stranger concepts like having one setting for all 4-5 cases that conspicuously creates one mystery scenario after another. Impose creative limitations that broaden the range of ideas for one concept, or something else experimentative like it.

Visually I also can't wait to see where the series goes on the Switch. I keep having images of that bar you could walk around in in Catherine thinking that would've been the perfect time for an Ace Attorney investigate segment. Just imagine a fully-rendered Miles Edgeworth, SoJ style but with 3D mechanics and little voiced lines when you press "talk" or "Examine" like "Hmm. What's this? :think: "
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Page 1 of 2 [ 47 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)