Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo

Page 1 of 2[ 45 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Episode 8: "Turnabout Goodbyes - 1st Trial"Topic%20Title

Master of sharp things!

This is a general discussion thread for the eighth episode of the Ace Attorney anime, "Turnabout Goodbyes - 1st Trial".

Summary wrote:
When Edgeworth is charged with murder, Phoenix and Maya must investigate the scene and convince their former rival to allow them to be his defense.

Re: Episode 8: "Turnabout Goodbyes - 1st Trial"Topic%20Title

Probably The best investigation épisode. It felt complete and didn't Miss any real important matter. Edgeworth was spot on.

It was pretty good.

It looked nicer than last episode, and it had some nice cuts in it, like this:-

And a couple of decent moments of character acting:-

https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/23176/ace_attorney-animated-character_acting-hair-kyoush

Nice to see the show improving.

Music was fine.

I think the story was adapted pretty well.

Pretty good. I'm happy with the episode, even if there's not much to say about it outside of a couple of moments in the animation.

7/10

(UPDATE: Added sakugabooru version of the clip, since it looks much nicer)

Last edited by RoyalTanki on Mon May 23, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igi ari!

Great episode.. DL-6 revelation is the best scene in the series so far. Although I am a bit worried for next episode because the preview showed Von Karma as a malnourished old man... Plz no

Couple minor nitpicks:

Why would Edgeworth be surprised at who Maya is at this point?

WHERE THE HELL IS GUMSHOE'S THEME?

Other than that, yeah this is a considerable step up from the previous episodes

Igi ari!

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Couple minor nitpicks:

I really think this is some sort of mistranslation. "Kimi wa" doesn't necessarily translate to "Who are you?" especially in that situation. Maya responded "My mother is...." instead of "I am Maya". Maybe a good translation would be, "What does this case have to do with you?" or something along those lines. I am not really expert at Japanese.

A Kirby and AA fan

This episode was great. As others have said, it covered pretty much everything crucial, and it had good flow. This is exactly what I hoped every episode to be. A full episode dedicated to each part of the case, trimming it in such a way that nothing is actually skipped, while providing something extra the games can't provide.

As an aside, I notice that Phoenix and Maya consistently get Gumshoe's name wrong. That's not how it happened in the games, right? I think in the games, they had it wrong only at first, and after that, they had it consistently right.

Did anyone else notice Max Galactica in the newspapers?

RoyalTanki wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/xvA2NeM.gifv

I noticed that too. I am split on it. I like how dynamic it looked, but at the same time, it looked a bit too exaggerated. They sometimes moved like they were Flubber.

Programmer

For once I don't have any problems with the changes they did. Aside from some minor reordering, they stayed quite true to the game here. The only difference here is that Larry gave Maya the popper instead of her just finding it laying around. Which is actually for the better. I suppose the loss of the joke at Larry's expense about working Christmas is there, but it was a throwaway joke anyway.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Kevin Wright: Ace Attorney

Someone is probably going to complain about the animation and Maya's voice again.
Kevin Ace Attorney Image Image

A Kirby and AA fan

Kevin Ace Attorney wrote:
Someone is probably going to complain about the animation and Maya's voice again.

Not like complaining about the complaints is any better... :ron:

Also, get a different font color, man. This is really hard to read...

Nurio wrote:
As an aside, I notice that Phoenix and Maya consistently get Gumshoe's name wrong. That's not how it happened in the games, right? I think in the games, they had it wrong only at first, and after that, they had it consistently right.

Actually, about that: I'm pretty sure it's an error in the subs. You see, in the Spanish subs, they only get his name wrong twice: when Nick finds Maya's cellphone in episode 2, and when they meet in Global Studios in episode 5. They correctly call him "Gumshoe" every time after that.

The Spanish subs also have Oldbag call Gumshoe "Suedeshoetree" instead of "Scruffy McTrenchcoat" (which is what Franziska calls him in JFA), and correctly refer to the monkey statue as "Mr. Monkey", not as "Forest Imp".

A Kirby and AA fan

Upgrader01 wrote:
Actually, about that: I'm pretty sure it's an error in the subs. You see, in the Spanish subs, they only get his name wrong twice: when Nick finds Maya's cellphone in episode 2, and when they meet in Global Studios in episode 5. They correctly call him "Gumshoe" every time after that.

The Spanish subs also have Oldbag call Gumshoe "Suedeshoetree" instead of "Scruffy McTrenchcoat" (which is what Franziska calls him in JFA), and correctly refer to the monkey statue as "Mr. Monkey", not as "Forest Imp".

Hooray for Spanish subs getting it right! ...Now if only I could speak Spanish!
Honestly, I am not at all familiar with Japanese, but it sounds like they do get Gumshoe's name consistently wrong in Japanese too. So maybe that one isn't actually a wrong translation

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I loved the DL-6 and Steel Samurai music heard when talking to Grossberg. I don't think there ever was an orchestral arrangement of the DL-6 music from the Gyakuten Meets Orchestra albums. It sounds great in such an arrangement. Though I'm still not a fan of the original music.

It looks to me as though the anime is going to do this case in 2 sets of trials and investigations instead of 3. They didn't get this much information on DL-6 in the game from the first day. For example, Grossberg only talked about the Gregory vs. Manfred trial and Manfred's vacation at the end of the third investigation.

The title of "1st Trial" is misleading, sure, but dedicating the entire episode to the investigation was the right thing to do, in my opinion.

AAI2bestAA wrote:
Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Couple minor nitpicks:

I really think this is some sort of mistranslation. "Kimi wa" doesn't necessarily translate to "Who are you?" especially in that situation. Maya responded "My mother is...." instead of "I am Maya". Maybe a good translation would be, "What does this case have to do with you?" or something along those lines. I am not really expert at Japanese.

The intonation on Egdey's voice is a clear indication that he has no idea who Maya is.

Yagami1211 wrote:
AAI2bestAA wrote:
Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Couple minor nitpicks:

The intonation on Egdey's voice is a clear indication that he has no idea who Maya is.

I feel like that entire exchange should go like this:

:edgeworth: I really don't want you involved in this case. It's my problem, and mine alone.

:maya: I also want to know the truth behind that case. I'm involved in it as well.

:edgeworth: You are?

:maya: My mother's name is Misty Fey.

I liked the pacing and the changes they made from the game to this episode. The animation quality was good, too. I'm a little worried about next weeks episode, though, because from the preview the quality seems to dive again. Like is it just me or are the investigation episodes of much better quality than the courtroom ones?

I loved this episode but I think they shouldn't have revealed that Von Karma was part of the DL-6 incident yet. Especially with the last frame, I feel like they've made it way too obvious that he's the culprit

I'm also concerned that they'll change Von Karma's motive from "mad about receiving a penalty" to "afraid he was gonna lose the trial to Gregory." I know the second one is more reasonable but I loved how petty the first one was, it really made you think about how much of a monster Von Karma is

A Kirby and AA fan

Hearing all these people talk about the preview... Am I the only one who always skips the previews in any anime?

i may not know much

I like how they actually spent time on the investigation this episode rather than just rushing to the trial, maybe the writers are finally learning their lesson
also the max galactica easter egg was cool

Enoshima Junko-chan!

JesusMonroe wrote:
I loved this episode but I think they shouldn't have revealed that Von Karma was part of the DL-6 incident yet. Especially with the last frame, I feel like they've made it way too obvious that he's the culprit

I'm also concerned that they'll change Von Karma's motive from "mad about receiving a penalty" to "afraid he was gonna lose the trial to Gregory." I know the second one is more reasonable but I loved how petty the first one was, it really made you think about how much of a monster Von Karma is

Well, according to the translation on Crunchyroll, the murder happened "in the middle of the trial" (I assume the recess?) However, in the game it occurred after Gregory lost the trial.

And I agree that too much of the DL-6 Incident was brought up in this episode. In the first investigation in the game, Phoenix and Maya learned all they needed at the time: that Hammond got the suspect charged with murdering Gregory Edgeworth acquitted. Thus, the motive for Miles Edgeworth. Von Karma wasn't brought up because he didn't need to. I suspect by doing this the anime is going to shorten the case by cutting out one investigation and trial, like Turnabout Samurai. That's fine by me - a game doesn't have the time constraints a TV show/anime does.

I second that thought on von Karma's motive. It's not something I can personally understand, but it makes sense for him. Remember how he reacted when the trial didn't end in three minutes like he predicted? I hope that gets in the anime.

Finally, I don't remember this being brought up in the game, but in the anime Grossberg said the files that White stole from Mia when she was murdered were linked to the DL-6 Incident. I do remember that all of the W files from her office went missing, which could have included something on DL-6.

Gardevoir lover

I couldn't help but noticed they didn't show who Gregory was defending during the flashback to DLC, i know it's not an important detail but still it would have been a nice continuity nod.

Is it my imagination or did the animation get considerably better in this episode?

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Racing through the sky like a Missile

RoyalTanki wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/xvA2NeM.gifv

Nice to see the show improving.

Seconded. This was a pretty big step up from the previous episodes, though I did appreciate how they generally adapted 1-3 into three episodes, even if it was still rushed by the end. If we leave about 12 episodes for each cour, it saves 5 episodes to build up 1-4, which allows the case to proceed much more fluidly. I had no problems whatsoever with pacing.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:

He never quite knew her in the first place. Even in the game, he asked her the same in the matter of "What are you to this case?" rather than who she was.

Nurio wrote:
Honestly, I am not at all familiar with Japanese, but it sounds like they do get Gumshoe's name consistently wrong in Japanese too. So maybe that one isn't actually a wrong translation

It's not actually "wrong"; it's their nickname for him. Everyone on the police force just calls him "Itonoko" when it's actually "Itonokogiri", and Nick and Maya just jumped aboard the bandwagon. I think only Edgeworth out of everyone in the series actually calls him correctly.

MBr wrote:
I loved the DL-6 and Steel Samurai music heard when talking to Grossberg. I don't think there ever was an orchestral arrangement of the DL-6 music from the Gyakuten Meets Orchestra albums. It sounds great in such an arrangement. Though I'm still not a fan of the original music.

I am. These are some beautiful arrangements, and I'm actually coming to enjoy their theme for Larry much more than his actual theme. Even the cool jazz of the "court begins" music is catching on with me.

Ironically, the pursuit theme that played in the last two cases has been a little lackluster imo. It's not bad, but it doesn't have the same level of tension that the original game provides whenever it plays.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

A Kirby and AA fan

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
It's not actually "wrong"; it's their nickname for him. Everyone on the police force just calls him "Itonoko" when it's actually "Itonokogiri", and Nick and Maya just jumped aboard the bandwagon. I think only Edgeworth out of everyone in the series actually calls him correctly.

Interesting. Do you know if that is consistent with the Japanese games?

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Very consistent. As far as character portrayals are concerned, this anime has been hitting just about all the right notes.

I've had a few issues with Maya's character here before, but this episode has eased those fears. If they keep this character building consistent, this cour may just have let this anime regain footing in the top ranks.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Master of sharp things!

I liked the pacing in this episode. It's probably been the best one so far that found a nice balance between story and comedic moments without feeling rushed. I also like how they expanded a bit on DL-6. I don't recall anything portraying Gregory Edgeworth in his last trial in the original game, so that was cool to see.

Oh, and the references to future events are fun to spot as well, even if they're as subtle as seeing the Berry Big Circus in the newspaper and Nick drinking the same brand of grape juice as he does in AA4.

Pretty much the only thing bugging me now is the fact that they skipped all the way to Christmas for this case, as it was in the game, despite the fact they changed the dates for the other three cases to be closer to the middle of the year. What was the point of that if they were just going to skip ahead anyway?

Programmer

Yeah, that was kinda pointless to do. Especially since this case can't be moved.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Igi ari!

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
I liked the pacing in this episode. It's probably been the best one so far that found a nice balance between story and comedic moments without feeling rushed. I also like how they expanded a bit on DL-6. I don't recall anything portraying Gregory Edgeworth in his last trial in the original game, so that was cool to see.

Oh, and the references to future events are fun to spot as well, even if they're as subtle as seeing the Berry Big Circus in the newspaper and Nick drinking the same brand of grape juice as he does in AA4.

Pretty much the only thing bugging me now is the fact that they skipped all the way to Christmas for this case, as it was in the game, despite the fact they changed the dates for the other three cases to be closer to the middle of the year. What was the point of that if they were just going to skip ahead anyway?

Maybe they wanted to do their own case/s in the future that is/are in between May and December?

Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.

Blademaster_Orca wrote:

Pretty sure they wanted the sakura petals leitmotif in the first few cases...
After all, it's not like altering the dates ends up changing much if they still end up in December, same time as the games.

Master of sharp things!

AAI2bestAA wrote:
Maybe they wanted to do their own case/s in the future that is/are in between May and December?

Much like the original game at this point, Edgeworth mentions that Nick only has three cases under his belt. This confirms that he hasn't taken any cases besides the ones we've seen, though now in the anime we have to believe that Nick was able to sustain the office in the six month gap between 1-3 and 1-4.

Tiagofvarela wrote:
Pretty sure they wanted the sakura petals leitmotif in the first few cases...
After all, it's not like altering the dates ends up changing much if they still end up in December, same time as the games.

I'm not saying it changed things significantly, but if the only reason they changed the dates was just to have the sakura petals on Nick's back in that one scene in 1-2, that wasn't worth it.

Dragongirl

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
This is a general discussion thread for the eighth episode of the Ace Attorney anime, "Turnabout Goodbyes - 1st Trial".

Summary wrote:
When Edgeworth is charged with murder, Phoenix and Maya must investigate the scene and convince their former rival to allow them to be his defense.

One of my all time favorite cases ever!
My name is Tayla 'Marie' Drago Hester, the number one Anime lover and supporter of all voice actors. Who also loves Ace Attorney things! :D

trigunlover11 wrote:
Blademaster_Orca wrote:

Summary wrote:

One of my all time favorite cases ever!

This is also one of my favourite cases!

Does anyone know if Ashes To Ashes will be turned into a few episodes? Because surely it would be disjointed to remove Maya from the finale as the games did...
Sig.

A Kirby and AA fan

DefenceLawyer wrote:
Does anyone know if Ashes To Ashes will be turned into a few episodes? Because surely it would be disjointed to remove Maya from the finale as the games did...

Ashes To Ashes... =P

Nobody knows if Rise from the Ashes will be adapted into the anime or not. My guess is on yes, seeing how they condense all the cases, I feel like they've made room for RftA.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "it would be disjointed to remove Maya from the finale"?

I've felt worse.

Nurio wrote:
DefenceLawyer wrote:

Ashes To Ashes... =P

Nobody knows if Rise from the Ashes will be adapted into the anime or not. My guess is on yes, seeing how they condense all the cases, I feel like they've made room for RftA.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "it would be disjointed to remove Maya from the finale"?

I'm hoping they reserve 1-5 for an OVA. At the pace the anime is going at, they'd only have room for two episodes maximum to cover it, and there's too much in the case for that little time without a major overhaul. Granted, I'd be fine with it if they at least had room for a Skye sisters flashback.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

sumguy28 wrote:
Nurio wrote:
DefenceLawyer wrote:

Ashes To Ashes... =P

I'm hoping they reserve 1-5 for an OVA. At the pace the anime is going at, they'd only have room for two episodes maximum to cover it, and there's too much in the case for that little time without a major overhaul. Granted, I'd be fine with it if they at least had room for a Skye sisters flashback.

Nurio, I am making an awful first impression with you: I have made two AA mistakes in one day! (I am tired.)

And I meant that 'Rise From the Ashes' was added onto the game much later for the DS version: it wasn't part of the original story, so by its very nature I have always felt as though it does not blend too well with the rest of the game (despite it being a major highlight of it.)

And Maya isn't in it if I remember correctly. So if 'Rise From the Ashes' was made into an anime, then it would be like removing a main character from a television show's finale.

I don't know, I am not an expert on anything today haha :will:
Sig.

A Kirby and AA fan

DefenceLawyer wrote:
Nurio, I am making an awful first impression with you: I have made two AA mistakes in one day! (I am tired.)

And I meant that 'Rise From the Ashes' was added onto the game much later for the DS version: it wasn't part of the original story, so by its very nature I have always felt as though it does not blend too well with the rest of the game (despite it being a major highlight of it.)

And Maya isn't in it if I remember correctly. So if 'Rise From the Ashes' was made into an anime, then it would be like removing a main character from a television show's finale.

I don't know, I am not an expert on anything today haha :will:

No worries. Everybody makes mistakes. And a small derp like "Ashes To Ashes" is nothing bad.

Yeah, RftA felt a bit forced in, but that's because it was written after the fact and the original story wasn't rewritten to fit it perfectly. With the anime, they can kinda bend the writing of the other cases to better accommodate RftA so it fits much better and feels less forced.

About Maya being gone, I don't remember who, but someone else made a great point about that. Maya's farewell at the end of AA1-4 had a lot of weight. Since it was the end of the game (back then) you wouldn't know if she'd ever return until you play the next game. If the anime were to not have RftA, that means you'll have a tearful Maya farewell scene... and she'd promptly be back in the next episode next week. That would just be terrible storytelling. Including RftA into the anime would actually put more weight on Maya's farewell because we'd see Phoenix struggling without her for several episodes before she returns

sumguy28 wrote:

How do you figure? For now, they've done 3 episodes for the normal cases and 1 episode for the introductory case. And it really looks like they're aiming for 3 episodes for case 1-4 too. So, exactly if they're going at this pace, that'd make for...
1 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 20 episodes. That leaves 4 to 6 episodes unaccounted for. More than enough room for RftA.

Nurio wrote:
About Maya being gone, I don't remember who, but someone else made a great point about that. Maya's farewell at the end of AA1-4 had a lot of weight. Since it was the end of the game (back then) you wouldn't know if she'd ever return until you play the next game. If the anime were to not have RftA, that means you'll have a tearful Maya farewell scene... and she'd promptly be back in the next episode next week. That would just be terrible storytelling. Including RftA into the anime would actually put more weight on Maya's farewell because we'd see Phoenix struggling without her for several episodes before she returns

That is an excellent point; I completely agree - it has been too long since I played the first game.

Here's hoping that they pull it off successfully!
Sig.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I had my doubts on shortening 1-4, but it looks like they're going to make it span two sets of trials and investigations instead of three. I'm not sure if you can shorten Rise From the Ashes, though.

If they do shorten 1-4, then that would mean DL-6's date would be changed from December 28 to the 27.

I've felt worse.

Nurio wrote:
sumguy28 wrote:

How do you figure? For now, they've done 3 episodes for the normal cases and 1 episode for the introductory case. And it really looks like they're aiming for 3 episodes for case 1-4 too. So, exactly if they're going at this pace, that'd make for...
1 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 20 episodes. That leaves 4 to 6 episodes unaccounted for. More than enough room for RftA.

Seeing how the anime spent an entire episode on Day 1 Investigation, and how the next episode preview only showed scenes from the courtroom, that would imply that they're going for a one episode per segment for the final trials. At that rate, they'd finish 1-4 in six episodes, though they'd be able to do it in five if they remove one day. Even if they take the same pace with JfA for the first three trials, I can't see them covering 2-4 in any less than six episodes with everything going on. That comes to...
1 + 3 + 3 + 5 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 6 = 25. If they remove 2-1, they'd have exactly two episodes to cover RftA.
Quote:

I can see them editing 2-1 just enough to remove Maya out of the picture. They could say Phoenix already found the connection between the contacts on the phone, and have Maggey act as co-council for the latter half of the case. Granted, it'd only be for one episode, but it's something.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Nurio wrote:
I can see them editing 2-1 just enough to remove Maya out of the picture. They could say Phoenix already found the connection between the contacts on the phone, and have Maggey act as co-council for the latter half of the case. Granted, it'd only be for one episode, but it's something.

Forgive me, as I only learnt about this anime last night; but have the anime folks said that they are doing JfA? Or is it just speculation for now?
Sig.

A Kirby and AA fan

DefenceLawyer wrote:
Nurio wrote:

Forgive me, as I only learnt about this anime last night; but have the anime folks said that they are doing JfA? Or is it just speculation for now?

Hey, that's not what I said. =P *looks at the quote*

Yeah, they confirmed that the anime will cover the first two games. (For now)
Page 1 of 2 [ 45 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo