Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 31 posts ]

Is Gregory Edgeworth actually a jerk? *spoilers*Topic%20Title

Spoiler: 1-4
So I was skimming through character descriptions and within Gregory Edgeworth's background it's stated:

"When Gregory was channeled by spirit medium Misty Fey, he believed that it had been his own son who accidentally shot and killed him. To protect Miles, he lied and said it had been Yanni."

Now at first you think that's nice that he would go and try to protect his son like that, but when you stop and think about it for a moment you realize that this means that he was going to send an innocent man to jail. Being a defense attorney, you would think he'd be against that sort of thing. He could have easily lied and said he didn't know who shot him, or heck. He could have even said that he threw the gun and it discharged into himself, if he was really that worried about his son. Instead it seems that he ruined not only Yanni Yogi's life, but Misty Fey's as well.

What do you think? Was Gregory Edgeworth just being a good father, or was he being a jerk?

Or maybe he really did think Yanni killed him?

Signature by Purple Angel.
Re: Is Gregory Edgeworth actually a jerk? *spoilers*Topic%20Title

You raise a good point.
But if I recall correctly, it was Grossberg who assumed that Gregory lied to protect Miles. And that was because at that moment, Grossberg actually thought that Miles was the murderer.
I guess Gregory thought Yanni killed him because the last thing Gregory remembered before passing out was fighting against Yanni. I don't think he would have a reason to believe Miles was the one who killed him.

Prolific Writer

FirexxxSaber wrote:
Now at first you think that's nice that he would go and try to protect his son like that, but when you stop and think about it for a moment you realize that this means that he was going to send an innocent man to jail. Being a defense attorney, you would think he'd be against that sort of thing. He could have easily lied and said he didn't know who shot him, or heck. He could have even said that he threw the gun and it discharged into himself, if he was really that worried about his son. Instead it seems that he ruined not only Yanni Yogi's life, but Misty Fey's as well.

Spoiler: Case 1-4
Well, think about it this way. If Gregory said he didn't know, Misty might have still been declared a fraud because of the lack of a definite answer, and pretty much nothing would have changed. Also, he couldn't say that he himself threw the gun, because a forensics team could deem that impossible, and Misty would still be declared a fraud. Even if he said what he honestly believed and accused Miles, the prosecution could take issue with him accusing his own son, and debunk Misty that way. Like it or not, Misty was sort of in a no-win situation. So Gregory can hardly be blamed for that.

As for why he chose to accuse Yogi, well, put yourself in his shoes for a moment. He was just summoned from beyond the grave to give his testimony about his own murder. If Miles' stance on supernatural phenomena is any indication, Gregory would find the situation incredibly far-fetched, to the point where he may doubt that it was even happening. He had no real time to get his bearings, and no time to prepare a statement. So, he just said the first thing that came to mind. I'm sure if he had more time to think things through and let the reality of the situation sink in, he would've just said he didn't know.

Some call me eccentric. I call myself creative.
My Fanfiction
My Fan Trial, Spirit's Turnabout

Call me James

Little_Thief wrote:
FirexxxSaber wrote:

Spoiler: Case 1-4
If Miles' stance on supernatural phenomena is any indication, Gregory would find the situation incredibly far-fetched, to the point where he may doubt that it was even happening.

Spoiler:
Perhaps so, but remember that Edgeworth's disbelief towards the supernatural stems entirely from Misty Fey's "failure". But, I agree. He most likely said the first plausible answer that came to mind.

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"

Gettin' Old!

Spoiler: As Above
Ridiculous question it's a catch 22 situation. Blame the innocent man get called a jerk for ruining his life, blame the son be forever known as the heartless father jerk who condemned his own young son. If anything Misty Fey and the people behind the case are the jerks for refusing to let his spirit rest and summoning him to make this painful choice.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Beautiful flower

He is kind of jerk in the movie though.

Well, not really a jerk, but he's depicted as an immoral attorney.
Spoiler: Movie plot
From what I've read, Gregory died not in an elevator, but in the evidence warehouse. Why? Because he was tampering with the evidence.

I'm most active on my tumblr.
Visit my Sprite edit thread

My son is bored. Care to play with him?

Spoiler: Uh...
:objection:

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I'm pretty sure Gregory was unconscious when he was actually shot...and this just occurred to me, but he might very well have been conscious when the gun Miles threw discharged. If the latter is true, then he would have heard both the first shot and the scream that came after it, so I'm guessing he must have known that Miles didn't kill him. That would have left only Yanni as far as he knew.

Chips wrote:
From what I've read, Gregory died not in an elevator, but in the evidence warehouse. Why? Because he was tampering with the evidence.
Spoiler:
He wasn't. Yanni found Gregory in evidence room and Miles later thought that his father was tampering with the evidence and hated all the defense attorneys because of that.
The situation from Gregory's perspective: he walks into the elevator with armed bailiff and his son. Around that time earthquake starts. They don't have air to breath and bailiff wants to stop him from breathing. The fight begins, and he either become unconscious and that all what he remember or he hears his son shouting, first gunshot, scream of an adult man and the part of second gunshot, but suddenly he stops hearing, seeing and feeling anything. Of course suffocating could make him remembering few facts wrong, you don't know how it is... During his time in the afterlife he could easily assume that it was Yanni who killed him.

Last edited by Sligneris on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super High-School Level Galaxy Defender

Spoiler: 1-4 Aftermath
Guys, let's not forget von Karma's confession.

(from memory) "He died, never knowing who shot him. Later, he spoke via a medium, blaming Mr. Yogi. He was fooled! It was the perfect crime!"

So, we can safely say Gregory did not, in fact, know who had shot him. Also, the pistol was Yogi's, and seeing as Gregory was struggling against Yogi at the time, he probably didn't notice it had gone all the way to Miles' feet. Miles threw the pistol, and he and the others passed out almost immediately. Then, von Karma walks in and shoots Gregory.

Now, the last thing that went through Gregory's ears (as we can rule out his eyesight, due to low illumination and the struggle) was a gunshot from a pistol belonging to Yogi. If I was on his shoes, I'd think a 8-year old boy would be terrified on the corner (even though that's not what Miles did), it's common sense.

Thus, Gregory was neither a jerk nor a savior. He was just caught in a careful plan.

Beautiful flower

This is Edgey's face the whole time this subject is discussed:

Sligneris wrote:
Chips wrote:
Spoiler:
He wasn't. As I recall it was Yanni who murdered Gregory in evidence room and Miles later thought that his father was tampering with the evidence and hated all the defense attorneys because of that.

Spoiler:
I didn't know it went that way. My source said Gregory did tamper with the evidence (that's why he was in the evidence room!) and Edgey later grew up hating defense attorneys because of that. :yuusaku:

And what, Yogi murdered Gregory? Not Manfred? :beef: I guess I have to watch the movie myself...

Back to game!situation, I think VCM summed it up right. I believe what Manfred said is the truth. He was the only one with clear head that time, so he'd certainly remember what exactly happened in the elevator.
I'm most active on my tumblr.
Visit my Sprite edit thread

A jerk no, but he's a bit of a sadist in the first game

The cape is self-fluttering

How is he a sadist?
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Spoiler: Movie
Ah, I got confused. Still, it's certain that he didn't tamper with evidence, he just happened to meet Yanni and Manfred in the Evidence Room, which resulted his death.

Last edited by Sligneris on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super High-School Level Galaxy Defender

Gregory Edgeworth is a sadist.
Now I've heard everything...

My favorite Godot blend is all of them.

Spoiler: 1-4 OBVEEE
Just going on his characterizations from secondary sources within the game, I couldn't really gauge much of a personality. Of course he kind of just looks like a jerk, or a not-so-benevolent father, but because the only amount of his actions described within the series are from the DL-4 case, I can only pick up that he wasn't some sort of lovey-dovey father. By the looks of it, and by how Edgeworth is, I'd assume he was a bit of a stickler, potentially to a fault.

Also, I haven't played the DL-6 case in a while, but I also think if the judgement of Gregory's character relies on the naming of who he believed to be a murderer Misty Fey also lays at fault - for all anyone knows Gregory could have said ANY name and Misty Fey would have changed the outcome. If Gregory's allegiance to "the truth" was as strong as Edgeworth's would be, I'd believe him rather than Misty. For all we know Edgeworth named his own son, because he truly believed that was what happen, even if by accident.

If you ask me Misty Fey is equally thrown into question, if it's regarding the channeling...but again, no one can actually know what the internal dialogue was for the channeling. I don't even think any of it is scripted anywhere in the game - if so please correct me!

"...!
You dare to insult the courts!?"
Edgeworth is such a friggin' geek, I lost it

Quote:
I am Gregory Edgeworth... I have been killed...
The one who shot me... was the bailiff... Yanni Yogi.
That was what Gregory said during channeling. However, the last thing that he remembered was struggle with Yanni and possibly, one gunshot. So, what the conclusion would be?
Spoiler: Movie
However, in the movie he saw Edgeworth holding the gun. So he lied to protect his son, didn't he?

I'm very random

In the movie Gregory was in the warehouse but in the game he wasn't also there is a good chance he didn't know who the murder was

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Necroposting, much?

At any rate, I may as well add my two cents.

It would appear Gregory put the blame on Yanni because he honestly believed he was the one who shot him. What I want to know though is why the police went to all the trouble of getting a spirit medium for what was for all intents and purposes a locked room murder.

Composer, thinker, talker

The jerk is whatever moron decided to put a spirit medium's entire reputation at stake and attempt to trust a dead guy.

Gyakuten Kenji 2 shows a lot more about Gregory's personality than flashbacks concerning his death ever could... it seems like some of the people posting here haven't played it yet (?)

Spoiler: Spoiler for 1.4 and GS film
It is never fully made clear what the time line was in the lift. We don't know for certain how many minutes past between Miles throwing the gun that shot Von Karma and when the door opened to reveal them all unconscious inside. We can safely guess though that Gregory must have known that Miles's accidental shot couldn't have killed him. He was in the middle of an argument with Yogi and must have been conscious for that shot. Unless he passed out at the very second it happened, which is a little odd if Miles still had oxygen enough to throw the gun in the first place, he could be pretty sure his son was innocent. Having said that though it means Yogi must have known that shot didn't kill Gregory either.

However it was a little careless of Gregory to assume it was Yogi too. While he could be forgiven for assuming it was him, as Von Karma pointed out, Gregory died unconscious and couldn't have known his killer. He really should have just said he didn't know. The fact he didn't indicates a sense that he must have wanted to detract any suspicion of Miles.

In the film of course, it is blatantly stated by Edgeworth at the end that his father lied and did think Miles had killed him.

Art created by myself, check out:
Tumblr - DeviantART - Archive of Our Own

I don't really think it was careless of Gregory to accuse Yogi. There were only two other people in the elevator and he had no reason to assume it was Miles because he had been fighting him

Maybe he really wanted to indict a murderer and not be helpless. He just lost a major battle in court, after all

On this topic, I always thought it was a missed opportunity that Edgeworth never really acknowledged his history with Misty Fey in 3-5 or apologized to Maya

Racing through the sky like a Missile

JesusMonroe wrote:
On this topic, I always thought it was a missed opportunity that Edgeworth never really acknowledged his history with Misty Fey in 3-5 or apologized to Maya

What history and what would he need to apologize for? He was one of the victims of the DL-6 Incident, not one of its players. In fact, he wouldn't need to apologize for what his dad said through Misty either if he doesn't believe his dad actually meant any ill will through accusing Yogi.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

A Kirby and AA fan

B-Man99 wrote:
The jerk is whatever moron decided to put a spirit medium's entire reputation at stake and attempt to trust a dead guy.

Gyakuten Kenji 2 shows a lot more about Gregory's personality than flashbacks concerning his death ever could... it seems like some of the people posting here haven't played it yet (?)

Have you seen the dates on the posts before yours? They are almost all from before the English patch for AAI2 was finished.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
What history and what would he need to apologize for? He was one of the victims of the DL-6 Incident, not one of its players. In fact, he wouldn't need to apologize for what his dad said through Misty either if he doesn't believe his dad actually meant any ill will through accusing Yogi.

Didn't Grossberg say that Edgeworth was one of the people who basically reprimanded Misty and led to her exile? I could be misremembering

He'd basically be apologizing for making things harder for Misty, and in turn, Maya. Of course, Maya would probably understand and none of it was Edgeworth's fault, but the apology would be more out of formality

I mean, he still refers to Misty as fraudulent in 3-5. He never acknowledges in the final trial that the victim was Misty, or how he feels about it

Don't believe the tabloids, buddy. They always find something to pin on Edgey!

No, I don't believe he ever harbored any grudge toward Misty, and he did indirectly acknowledge that she was a victim in the DL-6 case. What he doesn't believe in is the power of the Fey clan, as most spirit mediums have been proven to be fake through scientific explanation. Of course, not believing in her story =/= doing harm.

And as to how he felt about Misty's death, he has no comment on it. It's unfortunate, but as he said, it was like any other murder; this time just so happened to take place up at a temple in the mountains. Professional, precise, and blunt like heck; that's Edgey for ya.

And to be "somewhat" on-topic, I fully believe Miles Edgeworth is a jerk. He even acknowledged it himself in 1-5!
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

JesusMonroe wrote:
I mean, he still refers to Misty as fraudulent in 3-5. He never acknowledges in the final trial that the victim was Misty, or how he feels about it

That is at least true. Edgeworth clearly did harbor negative feelings towards Misty Fey, and there isn't really any good reason why he would. I could believe it in the first game but by the third game he has seen on multiple occasions that spirit channeling is real. He had been right there, seeing Maya and Pearl both channel Mia as well as witnessing psyche locks first hand.

Initially, I think it is understandable he would hate Misty because he thought she was a plain fraud who had incorrectly pinned the crime on Yogi. However it was Gregory who named Yogi and he really shouldn't have said it in the first place. It is all very well assuming it probably was him... but he didn't know.

I still don't think Gregory was a jerk necessarily as he was just wrong to have assumed Yogi had killed him when he simply didn't know any more than the police did because he was unconscious. The only other explanation is that Misty didn't channel Gregory and just lied... but she had no reason to do that. Either way, the blame does sort of lie with Gregory whatever his reasons were.

But Miles Edgeworth doesn't really have anything at all to be sorry for because he is a man having to live with a deep psychological trauma and it is natural he would want to blame someone, so be blamed Misty.

Perhaps Gregory had a dead twin, and Misty simply channeled the wrong one?

Heck, perhaps Morgan had some hand in this, somehow trying to rig the whole thing to discredit her sister?

I can't be the only one with this ship?

Only two other people were in the elevator. There no illogical reason that Mr. Edgeworth thought that Yogi did it, why would his son shoot his own father?

EdgeworthxOldbag wrote:
Only two other people were in the elevator. There no illogical reason that Mr. Edgeworth thought that Yogi did it, why would his son shoot his own father?

Which again raises the question of why they involved a spirit medium when the answer seemed so obvious.

Maybe it's because the police found another bullet hole in the door and actually considered the murderer could have come from outside. Of course, they never found another bullet, and the most obvious answer seemed like the right one. They essentially brought in Misty as a confirmation.

Which brings me to the question... why even contact Misty in the first place? Is she that famous? LEGIT SPIRIT MEDIUM, PLEASE ASK, WE'RE DESPERATE FOR CLIENTS. I know the Fey clan has some connections with the government, especially how she could avoid being detected for 17 whole years, but it seems like too much of a stretch. Even before that case, not many people actually believed the power of their clan. This case merely confirmed in public eye that the most recent "Master" was a fraud... so to speak.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Maybe it's because the police found another bullet hole in the door and actually considered the murderer could have come from outside. Of course, they never found another bullet, and the most obvious answer seemed like the right one. They essentially brought in Misty as a confirmation.

Which brings me to the question... why even contact Misty in the first place? Is she that famous? LEGIT SPIRIT MEDIUM, PLEASE ASK, WE'RE DESPERATE FOR CLIENTS. I know the Fey clan has some connections with the government, especially how she could avoid being detected for 17 whole years, but it seems like too much of a stretch. Even before that case, not many people actually believed the power of their clan. This case merely confirmed in public eye that the most recent "Master" was a fraud... so to speak.

My understanding of the situation was that the Fey clan never needed (or even wanted) credibility in the public eye -- they relied on the support of wealthy and powerful political figures who used their abilities discreetly.

Spoiler:
Dahlia tells Phoenix as much when he breaks her psyche locks. Plus Morgan tried to have Maya murdered purely so Pearl could be the next Master... meaning being family heiress has to be worth a lot more than "something".

Misty's disgrace probably comes more from the fact that she was labelled a fraud for *everyone* to see, high and low alike, and so the Feys became politically toxic. If anyone was caught using their services could potentially be ruined too so they stopped getting patronage from the powerful figures they once had.

I am guessing it was the Chief of Police (and likely the Chief Prosecutor as well) at the time who requested Misty do the channeling. Admittedly the case doesn't seem like it would pay a lot of money and - ironically - sort of seems a little beneath the Fey clan if they really were "all it". But as to how Misty became ruined as a result, that was because Gregory gave Misty false information.

I don't think Gregory is a jerk for assuming Yogi shot him (it is a reasonable assumption) but when he gave that information to Misty, he stated it as if it was fact - and that was wrong of him, regardless of his opinions.
Page 1 of 1 [ 31 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby