Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 19 posts ]

Prosecutors + Morals = Does Not ExistTopic%20Title

some sort of diabolical mastermind

Is it just me, or do the prosecutors not care whether the defendant is not guilty? Obviously, the von Karma's fit that description, but I refer to people like Godot, Kyouka, hell, even Payne.
Re: Prosecutors + Morals = Does Not ExistTopic%20Title

Commander Shepard

No, prosecutors in the Phoenix Wright world really don't care if the defendant is guilty or not. The only prosecutor who actually does care is Miles Edgeworth.

Doomed Defendant

Location: I live in Luxembourg, according to Mrs. Edgeworth. :B (Nah, it's Canadia.)

Most prosecutors (heck, all of them at first) are only concerned with doing their job and getting defendants declared guilty; don't quote me on that, since I don't know Godot and I know the vonKarma's just wanted to maintain perfection.

Edgeworth seems to be the only exception so far. Maybe GS4's prosecutor (I can never remember his name!) will care about the truth.

~ a lurker at heart

I'm pretty sure there's at least a few prosecutors who care. (besides Edgeworth). I don't think everyone is that heartless, even though they have to be. It's their job, after all.
~Aurezai

lolkoala.

Do we know enough about Kyouya to judge him on that yet?

I doubt ever single prosecutor in the PW universe is like that, I think poor Phoenix just has a habit of attracting assholes. Meekins
THIS IS A SIG.
I draw things.

some sort of diabolical mastermind

Payne: Uhh... I think he cares, but he needs the money.
Young Payne: Does not care at all. He only takes pleasure in crushing rookies.
Edgeworth: At first, he didn't care, but he does care now.
Young Edgeworth: Perfect record.
Manfred von Karma: Perfect record.
Fransizka: Perfect Record.
Godot: All he cares about is defeating Phoenix.
Older Payne: All he cares about is defeating Phoenix. I think.
Kyouka: Can't make an accurate decision.

Doomed Defendant

Location: I live in Luxembourg, according to Mrs. Edgeworth. :B (Nah, it's Canadia.)

Harry Miste wrote:
Payne: Uhh... I think he cares, but he needs the money.
Young Payne: Does not care at all. He only takes pleasure in crushing rookies.
Edgeworth: At first, he didn't care, but he does care now.
Young Edgeworth: Perfect record.
Manfred von Karma: Perfect record.
Fransizka: Perfect Record.
Godot: All he cares about is defeating Phoenix.
Older Payne: All he cares about is defeating Phoenix. I think.
Kyouka: Can't make an accurate decision.

Don't forget, Franziska was also in it to defeat Phoenix- her precious revenge.

So it looks like so far, only one prosecutor has learned the value of the truth.

The world calls it love

Well, I would assume that not every prosecutor doesn't care about the true guilt or innocence of the defendant. I think it's true that Phoenix only tends to come up against the people who are on the more extreme side (or at least they're the only ones that've been shown so far).

Also, keep in mind part of what Gumshoe says about the prosecutors--they must trust the police department's investigation to turn up the right suspect. If they have faith in their police officers, they'd have no reason to go into court thinking that the defendant was anything but guilty. The problem, then, lies in the city's rushed investigations and bumbling detectives, not morally-bankrupt prosecutors.

NaruMitsu Fangirl

Well...I'm assuming you're talking about prosecutors from PW and not prosecutors in general (ie. real-life)

Remember, Edgeworth said that prosecutors place a great deal of trusts in the detectives. They believe in the detectives to haul in the right guy. And when they go around busting their butts doing so, the prosecutors make sure that the criminals get locked up. Getting the right guy is the detective's job.

And if you're talking about real life, well it's the same story pretty much. I once read a novel that described that the prosecutors are like the rescue workers who puts up piles and piles of sand bag against the flood, hoping to hold up a perfect cases, while the defend lawyers poke holes in the damn they make and piss over it.

In PW the lawyer's a good guy because Phoenix's clients are innocent. But in real life there are way too many bad guys out there that would lawyer up, so they can just to get away with everything. The prosecutors are just trying to make sure the bad guys get lock away for good.

Mystic Lawyer

Well Edgeworth may have faith in the detectives (for whatever reason) but Franzika just used them as servants.

5 cups a day keep the doctor away

Mysticgamer wrote:
Well Edgeworth may have faith in the detectives (for whatever reason) but Franzika just used them as servants.

poor, poor gumshoe.. Sadshoe

Hot stuff

I would imagine Neil Marshall to be like Edgeworth.

So moe for Makoto it's funny.

A prosecutor is someone who is paid to be biased against the defendant. They build their case assuming that the defendant is guilty, because that's the person their evidence points to. There's no reason to put, say, Max Galactica on the stand if you saw, say, Ben come up and stab Russell Berry in the chest. That being said, the detectives aren't very good at what they do >.>

But yes, to a point you CAN'T care about the defendant, because then you might let a guilty person off the hook. You need to trust that if the person IS innocent, the defense attorney will prove such.

Of course, Manny VK was just an asshole >.>
Image (Awesome sig art by Axl99!)

With the depth of a thousand waters.

I always saw a prosecutor's role as advocating the principles of a fair trial (I'm talking about more real-life than PW, but the same can be applied, obviously); even where the prosecution may be prosecuting against an innocent client, it's their job, in criminal trials, to act on behalf of the State, as it is for defense attorneys to act for their clients; however unfair it may sometimes be that innocent people are being prosecuted, this balance between defense and prosecution is still what makes a "fair trial", in my opinion (however much of a paradox that sounds) and obviously we'd all like to think that justice would always prevail - sadly, however, that's impossible to guarantee.

Obviously with the game though, different prosecutors have different, individual, motives.
Image Image
♥♥♥ Super Junior #1 Fanboy (yes, BOY!): FIGHTING! ♥♥♥

未来の遂行者

For a (real life) prosecutor, being unbiased is actually quite important. There job is to convict the criminals, not the innocent. I mean, its not like a prosecutor is rewarded by the amounght of case they win. The mark of a good prosecutor is getting the truth out.

Your victory is inevitable, Mr. Justice

We see only see the defense in a positive light because that is the role of the protagonists. I'm sure that, even in the Phoenix Wright universe, there are plenty of cases when the defendant is the actual criminal. In that case the defense will be the one arguing against the truth. That was the whole point of JFA case 4.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Even if the prosecutors are just doing their job, we can't forget that it's not entirely the police's fault, either. I don't know how it works in Japan (or PW world) but in America the District Attorney's office does have sway over which cases they decide to prosecute, and who to blame. They have to depend on the police's evidence, but they can also decide not to prosecute if the case isn't strong enough.

Meanwhile, PW prosecutors don't seem to show that kind of discression.
ImageImage

So moe for Makoto it's funny.

Phoenix "Okay, I'll take your case!"

Edgeworth "Actually, Wright, we're letting him go and dropping the case. Not enough evidence."

Ack

That'd certainly be a boring game :P
Image (Awesome sig art by Axl99!)

The Missing Link

Let's face it, if the prosecutors had morals, then game wouldn't be as fun or dramatic anymore. This goes with the whole thing of Phoenix being the hero of the game and righting the wrong.

The only exception is Edgeworth of course which had to right Phoenix's wrong.
Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby