Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 7 of 8[ 303 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Re: Characters you hated but grew to like? Or like to hate?Topic%20Title

Regarding Simon, it's obviously both ;)

Spoiler: GS5
He hardened himself up, both being in prison, but also wanting to be a "threatening, dangerous criminal" and sacrifice his life as such. A lot of this is probably just an act that sort of became his habit.

You know, a Mario game!

Coyote wrote:
I couldn't stand Simon for almost the entire time I played the game. His "Silence!" soundclip is deeply irritating to me, I don't like his theme music, and he has that horrible tendency to call everyone exclusively by one nickname. Your Baldness. Fool Bright. Golden Boy. Space Boy. Tricky Tanuki. Stop. Stop. Stop.

It's nothing in the game that changed my mind, though he's a decent enough fellow, but... a bunch of people pointed out that, because of the localization, he's an enormous weaboo. And that got me thinking how everything about him is so try-hard. He looks like someone's overwrought DeviantArt OC. Even the nickname thing presumably comes from his sister. If Simon's a huge nerd that's trying to be a bad boy, rather than genuinely dark and mysterious, I like him so much better for it. Go figure.

Don't a lot of characters do that? Klavier, Damon Gant, and Godot, just to name a few?
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

[Whip the cream!]

dimentiorules wrote:
Coyote wrote:
I couldn't stand Simon for almost the entire time I played the game. His "Silence!" soundclip is deeply irritating to me, I don't like his theme music, and he has that horrible tendency to call everyone exclusively by one nickname. Your Baldness. Fool Bright. Golden Boy. Space Boy. Tricky Tanuki. Stop. Stop. Stop.

It's nothing in the game that changed my mind, though he's a decent enough fellow, but... a bunch of people pointed out that, because of the localization, he's an enormous weaboo. And that got me thinking how everything about him is so try-hard. He looks like someone's overwrought DeviantArt OC. Even the nickname thing presumably comes from his sister. If Simon's a huge nerd that's trying to be a bad boy, rather than genuinely dark and mysterious, I like him so much better for it. Go figure.

Don't a lot of characters do that? Klavier, Damon Gant, and Godot, just to name a few?

I would think it was different with Simon, though. But well, I'll leave it up to Coyote to explain because I might have misunderstood a few things.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

I'm not sure if I listed it in this thread yet... but my Like -> Hate character is Godot. He started annoying me, even before 3-5 and 3-5 just put the last few nails in the coffin. The only thing I remain liking about him is his theme music.

C-A

You know, a Mario game!

CatMuto wrote:
I'm not sure if I listed it in this thread yet... but my Like -> Hate character is Godot. He started annoying me, even before 3-5 and 3-5 just put the last few nails in the coffin. The only thing I remain liking about him is his theme music.

C-A

Weird, that's the exact opposite of how it normally works. Most people don't like him when they first meet him, then start liking him in 3-5. Kinda odd.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

dimentiorules wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

C-A

Weird, that's the exact opposite of how it normally works. Most people don't like him when they first meet him, then start liking him in 3-5. Kinda odd.

People start liking him in 3-5 cause they think he's a Tragic Hero and he had every right to act all the way he did... I just don't. I overall didn't feel that much when it was all revealed in 3-5, but once I replayed the case, I just realized how I started to hate this guy...! He just wallows in his misery, he wants to be a hero when he knows it'll end badly. He doesn't attempt to somehow move on with things.

And I pointed out giant plot holes in 3-5, along with how Godot had no real reason to say things like, "I was even ripped from my chance of taking revenge on [that woman]..." which... as I pointed out via the time when the cases take place, is NOT correct. He just didn't seem to have the balls to stand up to her...

Really, the overly Tragic Hero is the hero opposite to the Sympathetic Villain for me.
I'm sick of seeing both in videogames.

C-A

Huh? Godot is one of best characters, isn't he? At least in my opinion. He had no right to do what he did, however exactly the way he couldn't handle everything that happened was his flaw. And it's also flaws that make a good character.

Sligneris wrote:
Huh? Godot is one of best characters, isn't he? At least in my opinion. He had no right to do what he did, however exactly the way he couldn't handle everything that happened was his flaw. And it's also flaws that make a good character.

Of course flaws are important to a character, they are what makes a character interesting. But Godot's flaw is that he doesn't even seem to attempt to think of a different way of dealing with things. He wakes up from a long coma, finds that the woman he, at least, was attracted to is dead, the woman who put him into a coman is in jail* and his body is in bad condition. I'm all for him being sad about that at first. But... as the game went on and time went on, he doesn't choose anything else.
He continues to blame Phoenix for shit that he never had any control about - and it shows Godot's stupid sexism, that the man HAS to protect the woman - and is just being a dick towards him for no good reason. Only when things really break down around him, does Godot choose to see the error of his ways.

* She was NOT dead when he woke up! He woke up around September and she was executed a month before 3-5, which was taking place in January or February, I forget which. Instead of actually confronting her, he decides to just wallow in his misery.

If you like him, fine. I'm just pointing out why I do not like him. And as shown above, I don't hate him just for being made into a tragic hero who is actually just a wimp who can't get past things, but he's also a sexist jerk.

C-A

earthlings on fire

CatMuto wrote:
but he's also a sexist jerk.

C-A

He really is. I didn't really realize that when I first played T&T (I was 13...) and upon reflection I've realized he's a bit misogynistic :/ I liked him, and I still do like him, but it made me a little sad.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

WaitingforGodot wrote:
dimentiorules wrote:

I would think it was different with Simon, though. But well, I'll leave it up to Coyote to explain because I might have misunderstood a few things.

It's because his nicknames aren't clever, and he never uses proper names. "Herr Forehead" and "Trite" are hilariously condescending, and jabbing directly at the opposition. Simon calls them... Justice-dono? Cykes-dono? Wright-dono? His least interesting nicknames are for the main characters.

Things like "fraulein" and "kitten" are meant as pet names; they have an actual purpose that makes sense for the character. "Wrighto" is the sort of nickname that develops Gant's facade... an overly-friendly official trying too hard to be your cool older friend, and patronizing to boot. Simon nicknames every single character, and it doesn't say anything particular about him. It's as if, if he addresses someone by their name (or by a title like "witness" or "detective" or even, God forbid, "Your Honor"), even once, his luscious bird nest of a ponytail might fall right off.

Like a lot of things in DD, it's as if someone took the bare bones of how Ace Attorney characters have acted in the past, but turned it up to eleven. It could be endearing, if it wasn't so much.

earthlings on fire

Coyote wrote:
Like a lot of things in DD, it's as if someone took the bare bones of how Ace Attorney characters have acted in the past, but turned it up to eleven. It could be endearing, if it wasn't so much.

Can I get that on a T-shirt??
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

The video game boy; the one who wins

Come to think of it, I wasn't that fond of Guy Eldoon at first, but it turned out he was a nice guy after all. Oh, and then we have the present-time Shigaraki, it was kind of back and forth to me, because I looked at his page on the Ace Attorney wikia and thought he seemed interesting, and reading the description of his personality he seemed awesome, so I had very high expectations of him. Then he came around and was... well, shady. And rude to Edegworth. He redeemed himself a bit towards the end though, and by then I'd sort of gotten used to him and begun to like him. I have no idea how I would have felt about him if I hadn't had that high expectations though.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Logic ~ The Way To The Truth

Simon Blackquill. My first impression of him was that he was a cold-blooded killer and arrogant as a prosecutor, but after knowing about his past, I have changed my mind. If I were in his place, I probably would've done the same.
ImageImageImage

Get away from my Miles, you old windbag!

[Whip the cream!]

Sligneris wrote:

I know this wasn't a reply to me, but I understand why people dislike him. I, for one, love him, but he really is something of a jerk, to say the least. He has his reasons, but some of the reasons really don't add up. And then there is his sexism...

Last edited by WaitingforGodot on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Let's do this!

I really started hating Edgeworth specially when he made that last objection during case 2 of AA1, he just kept trying everything he could to get a guilty verdict on poor Phoenix who was supposed to be his childhood friend. Probably that's what the creators intended him to be with his demon prosecutor personality but like many fans he became a favorite later.

As from liking to hate...
Ema Skye.. what happened to you? She used to be so cheerful, energetic, and passionate about science and her forensic studies and then turned into the complete opposite. It doesn't make sense that she failed that test when it was her dream and life's work. She's very smart and had been preparing herself since she was sixteen, or maybe even earlier! Just how is that possible? They really screwed over this character for me with her bitter attitude.

Franziska.. I started loving her with her father's traits and the whippings were funny at first but it got old fast. I find it annoying how she whips everyone every 5 seconds when they talk and her childish behaviors. Whiping Phoenix to death for losing a case and saying the trial was a "sham" when it was fair and square, lol really? Typical behavior of kids when they can't accept a loss. Also she has the weakest story of all the prosecutors imo. At least she has redeemable qualities during the last case and in T&T.

I've felt worse.

LaserFace wrote:
As from liking to hate...
Ema Skye.. what happened to you? She used to be so cheerful, energetic, and passionate about science and her forensic studies and then turned into the complete opposite. It doesn't make sense that she failed that test when it was her dream and life's work. She's very smart and had been preparing herself since she was sixteen, or maybe even earlier! Just how is that possible? They really screwed over this character for me with her bitter attitude.

I used to have this opinion; then I learned something over the years: failure can happen, no matter how hard we try, and sometimes we need to accept it and move on, make the best of what we got. It's like what she said: "But, you know, rank and title don't matter. What really matters is what's inside your heart." Unfortunately she got stuck with a glimmerous fop for a boss, so making the best of what she had wasn't much of an option there.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Yeah, but in not a single word does she ever mention the idea of perhaps retaking the test. Failure is an option and all, no doubt about it, and we can live with it. But nothing says that we have to accept it. We can always try again. But the older Ema doesn't do that. She prefers to whine about having failed the test and acting like a forensics when she should be doing her goddamn job as a detective.

C-A

[Whip the cream!]

I found Hugh O'Conner so damn obnoxious... such a pretentious prick.
Spoiler: 5-3
Then I learned about his reasons for acting that way, and his friendship with Robin and Juniper was beautiful... Now I find him endearing.

I thought I'd really have a hard time liking Blackquill. I feel as if Mr. Yamazaki always tries too hard with his characters and overarching plots and usually, for the lack of a better term, fails. So when they revealed that the new prosecutor would be this manipulative, badass prisoner who wasn't afraid to physically assault people in court, I was incredibly skeptic. However, I was positively surprised when I discovered that Blackquill actually was fairly laid back, not to mention he has some of the best lines in the entire series. He actually fit in the story, and that's more than I can say for Franziska.

As for characters I like to hate on? I've already whined so much about Athena, and since this isn't the part of the forum where we can discuss Dual Destinies more freely, I'll talk about someone else; Justine Courtney, AKA Hakari Mikagami.

Oh my goodness she has to be one of the worst characters you're "supposed" to like in any story-driven game ever. She's one-dimensional, probably the single most predictable character in the series, says the same thing over and over, is a walking gimmick, appears everywhere and is flat out uninteresting on every level. I'm not exaggerating when I say I grew tired of her within five minutes of her introduction.

Honorable mention goes to Kay. She also wins the "why-are-you-even-here" award.

[Whip the cream!]

Palaeno in GK1 creeped me out at first. His behaviour seemed so... artifical. But he grew on me, now I found him really charming, actually.

I remembered absolutely disliking Alita Tiala, then I replayed case 4-2 and found that as soon as she stops playing cute, she's a rather interesting character and I found her grumpyness and a lot of her comments really funny.

Thane wrote:
As for characters I like to hate on?

...I am sure the author of this thread meant characters you went from liking to hating.And it's made obvious by the rest of the thread.
Signature loading, please wait...

The Enigma

Hmm...

From Hate -> Like:

Apollo: It was rather biased on my part because the attention drifted away from Phoenix onto this...kid, who at the time I thought was just a knock-off. That, and his boyish personality just annoyed me. But now that I'm playing his game and beat Dual Destinies, I'm gradually starting to like him. Gradually.

Trucy: Solely based around her bouncing sprite. I thought she was too silly. But now she's really growing on me and I think she's now my favorite character in the series. Also, she is rather cute :3 I wouldn't mind having her for a sister

Gumshoe: I hated it when he arrested Maya just because a piece of paper had her name on it. It just seemed kind of ridiculous. And his hero-worship for Edgeworth was annoying. Then he started being very helpful and his crush on Maggey is so sweet, so I like him now.

From Like -> Hate

Gant: When he was first introduced, I was like "hell yes! A normal, cooperative witness who is actually helpful!" Then I found out what he really is, and I was so glad when I incriminated him

Bobby Fulbright: I never liked the guy to begin with. He was so obnoxious.
Spoiler:
outing him as the Phantom brought much satisfaction to me

Edgeworth: He was cool at first, but in the end, everything just seemed to revolve around his angst at one point or another.

From Like -> Hate -> Like

Ema: I loved her personality in 1-5! Why did she have to grow up :larry: But whenever she brightens up when science is involved, I like her again
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

Winter Flag Trademark

:franny: - (Like -> Hate) I found her pretty cute in the first vision, but later when I saw that her inner soul is pretty despicable, I started hating on her. And Pearly's Right! She's nothing but a little kid without her whip! Doesn't she even
know how to #DealWithIt? Seriously? Man, I never saw a girl whom is very, very rude to people and has a tendency of
whipping people randomly, and acting like a baby. Not to mention, she even insulted poor Maya and whipped Nick half
to death once. I really hate her and her "fool" jokes. Edgeworth is older than her, but she denies it. Very, very, very
and I mean... Very Rude. I hate her, alot. She's nothing but a brat whom lacks alot manners. Rude to the Roof. Not to mention, when Nick had a fever and investigated around, all she did was to whip him.

:larry: - (Like? -> Hate) Ever-so-Romantic and Whiny. Also, doesn't have a good job.

:kristoph: (Like -> Hate) I found this guy cool in the beginning of the game. But later when I found out that he was the
one whom has swayed Nick's Badge away and turned him into a Hobo, he became my most hatred character. I can't even
withstand anyone whom has a tendency to do anything pretty bad to Nicky. I'll never forgive any creeps who will do anything bad to Poor Nicky. I swear.

:yummy: (Like -> Hate?) She's a nice girl back then on RftA, but later she grew super rude
and has a tendency to throw snackoos randomly at people and even eat snackoos. If I hear that munching sound ever
again... :dahlia:

:kay: (Like -> Hate?) She's cheerful, but she's a thief. And a thief is a thief, no matter what. There is a big chance that she may steal peoples' belongings and later murder someone during her heists. Especially if anyone witnesses her, the Great Thief of "Truth", stealing stuff. But her perkiness makes me sick abit. She's worse than Maya.

:oldbag: (Like -> Hate) Don't even ask. She was pretty nice on GS1, but later became very rude on GS2. Not to mention, her "crush" towards Edgeworth is pure nonsense. Seriously? A Young Prosecutor and An Old Security Lady? I don't think so. :nick:

That is all. For now. :gavel:

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

[Whip the cream!]

Hmh, Dahlia. I loathed her to no end at first, and yes, she's a really vile person: but now I'm quite fascinated by the fact that she is so damn vile. So, well, I like to hate her or something, instead of just hate-hate her, being all pissed off just by seeing her face.

Ema Skye (Hate --> Like): I found RftA Ema to be pretty boring, and though she was nice, she didn't really make a big impact and felt too much like Maya. Then Apollo Justice happened, and I started liking her way more for her personality.

Pearl Fey (Hate --> Like): She felt kinda purity sue to me, but after 2-4, she became pretty cool and useful, so I liked her.

Viola Cawhatshername (Hate --> Like): idk, i just didn't like her at first, but now, even though she still isn't that interesting, i kinda like her story.

"Eggs?"

Jean Armstrong: Liked him at first, since he seemed like to me a really funny character and that he would eventually get serious... oh no. He stayed like THAT the entire time, and it got so annoying that I hated talking to him. And then I just hated him altogether for being a :shoe:
I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!

[Whip the cream!]

God, I'm so sleepy right now, I was thinking that "in which way was he a cat, and why is that a source of hatred"? Sigh. Malfunctions.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

WaitingforGodot wrote:
God, I'm so sleepy right now, I was thinking that "in which way was he a cat, and why is that a source of hatred"? Sigh. Malfunctions.

I'm just as confused... about his hate for the sexy cat of a man-woman.

Edit: Okay, so I should add something to this thread. I can't say I really cared for Wellington back in the day. He seemed like such a pointless villain to add to the roster, but the more I went back to that case, the more I came to like him... until now, where I absolutely adore him for his pompous head shake and zany freakouts. In fact, I'm not really sure why I adore him THIS much.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Hate --> Like

Franziska was a PAIN in the A** in the beginning. But later... Later... :frannycry:

Edgeworth was also a pain in Turnabout Sisters (UPDATED AUTOPSY REPORT)
But I changed my opinion by Turnabout Samurai.

Like --> Hate

No one in my case.
But my sister told me that she hates Klavier's face, I don't know why. :rock'n:

Winter Flag Trademark

Vaati Blackquill wrote:
Like --> Hate

No one in my case.

AcePointer: Tooootally weird for a girl to hate Klavier Gavin.

Ema: Hmph. This Served that Glimmerous dabbish of a Fop Right. *munches snackoos*

AcePointer: ..? What do you mean?

Ema: *scowl* *ka-tonk*

AcePointer: Tch. :snackood:

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

I've felt worse.

Vaati Blackquill wrote:

Because behind that face is the guy who blindly listened to Kristoph and let Phoenix be disbarred, then just put it out of his mind for seven and a half years, even using the publicity he gained from that case to boost his career as a guitarist?
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Gamer at Law

Like --> Hate for me personally would be Blackquill. I just found the whole thing a little bit overdone. The breaking of his own shackles, the throwing knives in the courtroom, having a trained eagle...as much as I love how over-the-top things tend to be in the AA universe, it was a little much. "Silence"? Really? You can't say "Objection" like everybody else?

Hate --> Like, and this is a little bit random, but actually would be Grossberg! I found him random, uncalled for, and honestly useless in 1-2 and 1-5. But then, in 3-1, when I saw him looking a little younger and standing behind the bench, I remembered that he was one of us - a defense attorney, worn down by years of dealing with cheating prosecutors. I also remember him having a quote about veteran lawyers losing sight of the importance of trusting your client, which is a bit of character development I appreciate.
"Are...you...high!? Erm, the girl in this picture...she's very high!"

Current LPs: A Link to the Past, Super Smash Brothers
Join me on YouTube!

[Whip the cream!]

Ah, I understand you when it comes to Grossberg!

A Kirby and AA fan

ShinyCatnip wrote:
I found him random, uncalled for, and honestly useless in 1-2 and 1-5.

I assume you mean 1-4? I don't think I've seen him in 1-5... (Then again, wouldn't that be the epitome of uselessness? Doesn't even appear, that useless is he!)

Iris. I used to loathe her, but really, what's wrong with being a kind and considerate person? She's sooo timid... but she's had her own stuff to deal with. And she makes unwise decisions like everybody else (especially in that specific case), but I feel like I've been too hard on her.

[Whip the cream!]

For some reason grown up Ema (barely remember my initial thoughts about teenaged Ema, though) annoyed the heck out of me two years ago - didn't hate her, just "gah". I don't even know why, because I often like grouchy characters. I find her really funny now.

And I'm definitely warming up to Iris more and more.

Well, Larry. He got so flanderized, especially in GK, but then I returned to 3-5 with his self-doubt and artistery and how he got along with Pearl. Most importantly, that he's aware he's a nuisance, and also he thinks he's useless - because everyone, especially Phoenix and Edgeworth - keeps telling him so. But he really tries, not to mention he's anything but useless when it matters, like in 3-5 and ducking (typo, probably for the better) 1-4. So to summarize I think 3-5 did a good job in showing his insecurities and making him feel more rounded as a character, which warmed me up more to him.

[Whip the cream!]

^Agreed. I never hated Larry, but those things definitely made me like him more and more.

Anyhow, I feel that there's a few characters I've been too harsh on (on the other hand, I guess there are characters that I should be harsher on, but I won't) - and then I start feeling a little bit guilty long after it. That would be a few characters that are... well, they have a good heart. "That person annoyed the hell out of me... But seriously, they're completely harmless." I'm starting to have a hard time "hating" these characters (Regina would be an example - "well, she's naïve as hell, she can be extremelt annoying, but... she's not a bad person"), they can still annoy the hell out of me, and it doesn't mean I'm going to start liking them all of a sudden, but I start to think "they don't deserve my hate" about at least some of them. Hm. This was just basically just me saying that I'm turning a bit soppy, especially since I completely understand the reasons for hating characters like that, it's not like I'd ever judge people who do. :ron:

DGS fucking when..

Hate to like: Brushel Spark

This is one of the case of judging book by his cover. I hated him at first simply because he looks.. unappealing. But then the future-past investigations started and he turned out to be a knowledgeable man and a dedicated journalist. He's also a trustworthy firend simply by keeping Shadi Smith's secret for 7 long years and is there to help him when the time comes. That, and he's also a certified public notary meaning that even society sees him as an esteemed man with a skill. I'm kinda embarrassed to say this but when he lay out all his info and investigations to Phoenix (us) concerning the secret of the Gramaryes he looks kinda cool.
Page 7 of 8 [ 303 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby