Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 2 of 2[ 80 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: The Soundtrack Translation ThreadTopic%20Title

Nothing in particular to add, but I wanted to say I support this in hopes that it'll help end the spread of nonsense titles like "Distant Traces of Beauty" and "Lying Coldly". Good work. :butzthumbs:

Y'know

Shouldn't GS1 jingle's title be "It Can't End Like This"? :Hoboright:

Other than that, great job with these. :butzthumbs:

Ah, right. Thanks for pointing that out!

Regardless, this thread is kinda relevant again. Namely, regarding PLvsPW:AA English release... Is there a localized Sound Test tracklist available already?

Racing through the sky like a Missile

There's a complete list for the English names in the Localized Names thread in the other board, but I've pasted it here for convenience.

Spoiler: Song titles
1. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Opening Theme -
2. Professor Layton's Theme - PL vs PW: AA Version No. 1 -
3. About Town - PL vs PW: AA Version -
4. Bewitching Puzzles
5. An Uneasy Atmosphere - PL vs PW: AA Version -
6. Suspense - PL vs PW: AA Version -
7. Crisis - PL vs PW: AA Version -
8. Labyrinthia
9. Tension - PL vs PW: AA Version -
10. A Pleasant Afternoon -PL vs PW: AA Version -
11. A Strange Story - PL vs PW: AA Version -
12. More Puzzles - PL vs PW: AA Version -
13. The Town's Past - PL vs PW: AA Version -
14. After Hours
15. The Dark Forest - PL vs PW: AA Version -
16. Quiet Moments - PL vs PW: AA Version -
17. Puzzle Deductions - PL vs PW: AA Version -
18. The Audience Room
19. The Professor's Deductions - PL vs PW: AA Version -
20. Misgivings - PL vs PW: AA Version -
21. Tavern
22. Into the Forest
23. The Shady Workshop
24. The Underground Ruins
25. Reunion
26. Link
27. The Storyteller's Tower
28. The Hidden Garden
29. Espella's Theme 1
30. Confrontation
31. Professor Layton's Theme - PL vs PW: AA Version No. 2 -
32. Espella's Theme 2
33. Tale's End
34. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Ending Theme -

35. Deathknell Dungeon - The Magical Prelude -
36. Witches' Court Convenes
37. Fiery Witnesses
38. Zacharias Barnham - The Sword of Labyrinthia -
39. Mass Inquisition - Moderato -
40. Logic and Witchcraft
41. Hit or Miss - Suspense -
42. Phoenix Wright - Objection! 2012 -
43. Mass Inquisition - Allegro -
44. Confess the Truth 2012
45. The Winning Combination
46. Courtroom Magic
47. Reminiscing - Fated Magic -
48. Courtroom Jester - Cheers! -
49. Reminiscing - A Golden Message -
50. Newton Belduke - Twilight Memories -
51. The Trial of the Great Witch
52. Premonition - The Two-Step Turnabout -
53. The Creator and the Alchemist
54. Sealed - The Darkness Within -
55. Reminiscing - The Legendary Fire -
56. The Final Witness
57. Cornered - Spell-breaker -
58. Turnabout Sisters - Music Box Melody -
59. Courtroom Lounge - Opening Prelude - (English Turnabout Mix)
60. Court Begins (English Turnabout Mix)
61. Suspense (English Turnabout Mix)
62. Logic and Tricks (English Turnabout Mix)
63. Cross-Examination - Moderato - (English Turnabout Mix)
64. Phoenix Wright - Objection! - (English Turnabout Mix)
65. Cross-Examination - Allegro - (English Turnabout Mix)
66. Confess the Truth (English Turnabout Mix)
67. Cornered (English Turnabout Mix)
68. Won the Case! - First Victory - (English Turnabout Mix)

So, not all the names were translated literally, and despite sounding like fan translations, they're official.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

That... does settle things about "Reminiscence", now "Reminiscing" themes, as well as "Confess the Truth", but...

What is it about Pursuit themes not having a prefix? Now that's a change I didn't expect.

Stylistic choice, I suppose. The "pursuit" bit from the other titles can also be translated as "investigation" or "cornered" anyway, so they just went with the one that sounds "coolest".

But now, "Cornered ~ Cornered" sounds a bit... off. :/ Let's just keep the "Pursuit" in them, shall we?

For the GK games, though, since the "Pursuit" bit is written a bit differently to focus on the investigation side, they can be translated as "Investigation".
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Alright, so we will keep the prefix, in this case.

About the GK games though... I knew about that already, actually, but I really didn't want these to get mixed up with 捜査 themes. Also... I thought it would be best to give both "pursuits" similarly sounding prefixes...

How about "inquiry" for GS and "inquest" for GK?

`

Last edited by Sligneris on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Have the titles to any cases been lost in translation?

JesusMonroe wrote:

Hm? What exactly do you mean by that? You mean names of the game chapters, or...?

Sligneris wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

Hm? What exactly do you mean by that? You mean names of the game chapters, or...?

Yeah. Like, I know Turnabout for Tomorrow is "Turnabout to the Future" in the JP version and Case 4 is "Turnabout Up to the Stars." I was wondering if there was anything else like that

Well, yeah, it does happen a lot, and it's not limited to soundtracks. It's pretty natural for localizations of any kind to have stuff like that.

PS: Eh, we should be past that, considering Maya's Reminiscing was one of the first subjects... But would 傷心の真宵 work as "Maya's Grief"? I still can't help but feel "Heartbroken Maya" isn't too good a title...

JesusMonroe wrote:

Just a few from the top of my head, but most aren't that different. In the case of Gyakuten Tonosaman, though, it's entirely for the sake of renaming. I'll just list the ones that I could clarify on.

1-4 is "Turnabout, then Goodbye" (in the same fashion that 2-2 is named)
1-5 is "Revived Turnabout"
2-3 is simply "Turnabout Circus"
3-1 is literally "A Memory's Turnabout"
3-4 is "The Original Turnabout" (which has clearly lost its meaning now that DGS replaces that "origin")
3-5 is "Turnabout to Magnificence"
4-1 is "Chain of Turnabouts at a Corner"
4-4 is "Turnabout Successor"
5-2 is "Turnabout Yokai Parade" aka "Turnabout Pandemonium"
5-4 is "The Turnabout that Became a Star"
5-5 is "Turnabout to the Future"
I-4 is "Turnabout in the Past"

And I don't think the localizing team of the GK2 translation patch changed the names.

Sligneris wrote:
Alright, so we will keep the prefix, in this case.

About the GK games though... I knew about that already, actually, but I really didn't want these to get mixed up with 捜査 themes. Also... I thought it would be best to give both "pursuits" similarly sounding prefixes...

How about "inquiry" for GS and "inquest" for GK?

`

Well, given that one track from GS5 called "Investigation ~ Inquiry", the names are starting to get mixed up. Perhaps we could change that to "Examination" instead, since the latter is more about studying into something and thinking it over.

We can keep "Pursuit" for GS and rename the ones for GK to "Inquiry" (or "Interrogation") in that case, but I feel like the "pursuit" side of it is a bit lost. In any case, "inquest" feels a little too old-fashioned.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Well, given that one track from GS5 called "Investigation ~ Inquiry", the names are starting to get mixed up.

Well, it's still better than "Investigation", which would give both types of themes identical prefixes...

Perhaps we could change that to "Examination" instead, since the latter is more about studying into something and thinking it over.

Huh? But isn't 考察 exactly that, rather than an examination of something? It was exactly why I picked "Inquiry" over original "Examination" translation... Correct me if I'm wrong here, please.

We can keep "Pursuit" for GS and rename the ones for GK to "Inquiry" (or "Interrogation") in that case, but I feel like the "pursuit" side of it is a bit lost. In any case, "inquest" feels a little too old-fashioned.

Yeah, I would in fact like to keep "Pursuit" too, as it fits the most...
It's just that I can't get it out my head that they are supposed to be spelled the same or at least similarly.

I like to keep these naming tendencies (GS4 being exception from most of them), e.g. "Like this" in Jingles, "Elegy of the ______" in Detention Center themes, or "Wanting to ______" in Pursuits of GK games and in GS2...

But there doesn't exist a word describing "investigation" in a way that is pronounced similarly to "pursuit", does there...? :ron:

Edit... You know what? Forget about the Jingles. Turns out only two first games had that similarity... What was I even thinking...

...How come it still fits with the intended meaning though? :udgey:

Sligneris wrote:
Perhaps we could change that to "Examination" instead, since the latter is more about studying into something and thinking it over.

Huh? But isn't 考察 exactly that, rather than an examination of something? It was exactly why I picked "Inquiry" over original "Examination" translation... Correct me if I'm wrong here, please.

I still prefer "examination" since the first character focuses less on the talking side of an inquiry and more on the thinking side. It's confusing because English has so many synonyms, but when it comes to Chinese characters, they're pretty strict about distinguishing among each other... even though to most native speakers of these East Asian languages, Chinese characters are the most annoying to learn because of exactly those minor differences.

Quote:

Yeah, I would in fact like to keep "Pursuit" too, as it fits the most...
It's just that I can't get it out my head that they are supposed to be spelled the same or at least similarly.

I like to keep these naming tendencies (GS4 being exception from most of them), e.g. "Like this" in Jingles, "Elegy of the ______" in Detention Center themes, or "Wanting to ______" in Pursuits of GK games and in GS2...

But there doesn't exist a word describing "investigation" in a way that is pronounced similarly to "pursuit", does there...? :ron:

They share a character because they're similar in meaning; that's about it. You're free to give whatever matching grammatical form to them as you wish, but don't let it bother you.

Quote:
Edit... You know what? Forget about the Jingles. Turns out only two first games had that similarity... What was I even thinking...

...How come it still fits with the intended meaning though? :udgey:

The Jingles often reuse the directional pronouns こんな、そんな、あんな. While こんな only refers to things nearby and あんな to things faraway, out of reach and usually out of view, そんな is a mixed bag. It means "that", as in between "this" and "that over there", but it could just as easily be used to refer to things nearby that can also be used with こんな.

We Japanese students just live with it.

By the way, how are you translating the Japanese?

I still prefer "examination" since the first character focuses less on the talking side of an inquiry and more on the thinking side. It's confusing because English has so many synonyms, but when it comes to Chinese characters, they're pretty strict about distinguishing among each other... even though to most native speakers of these East Asian languages, Chinese characters are the most annoying to learn because of exactly those minor differences.

Oh, I see... "Inquiry" doesn't fit then, does it...?
So now, the two words I could see fit in its place are "examination", like you proposed, or "consideration"... Hm.

They share a character because they're similar in meaning; that's about it. You're free to give whatever matching grammatical form to them as you wish, but don't let it bother you.

Nah, alright then. Now that GS5 Investigation theme is going to change its suffix, I'd say "Inquiry" could be used here instead, if it really captures its essence.

The Jingles often reuse the directional pronouns こんな、そんな、あんな. While こんな only refers to things nearby and あんな to things faraway, out of reach and usually out of view, そんな is a mixed bag. It means "that", as in between "this" and "that over there", but it could just as easily be used to refer to things nearby that can also be used with こんな.

So, do we keep it like this (pun somehow intended), or...?

Now about that... I doubt I'll be taken seriously after I explain that, but, eh... Let's roll with it.

To be honest, I barely know a word in Japanese, especially written. Initially, I use Google Translate, but I know that its translations are highly unreliable, so I rarely... no, no rarely, never use that for translating whole titles. Rather, I pick up on the structure, the way the words are separated. Then, I check these words with both Google Translate and several online Japanese dictionaries, to make sure I understand the word's meaning. After that, I try to make sense of the words I got and try to put it together.

That method is obviously unreliable, compared to the actual experience with Japanese, which is all the more reason I need all the help I can get, to get these names translated accurately. :ron:

Sligneris wrote:

So, do we keep it like this (pun somehow intended), or...?

Up to you. The Japanese reuse them because they're the only directional pronouns TO use in these cases.

Quote:

Now about that... I doubt I'll be taken seriously after I explain that, but, eh... Let's roll with it.

To be honest, I barely know a word in Japanese, especially written. Initially, I use Google Translate, but I know that its translations are highly unreliable, so I rarely... no, no rarely, never use that for translating whole titles. Rather, I pick up on the structure, the way the words are separated. Then, I check these words with both Google Translate and several online Japanese dictionaries, to make sure I understand the word's meaning. After that, I try to make sense of the words I got and try to put it together.

That method is obviously unreliable, compared to the actual experience with Japanese, which is all the more reason I need all the help I can get, to get these names translated accurately. :ron:

No worries; glad to help. Actually, the most important part to reading Japanese is knowing how they're structured. Since it'd be way off-topic if I explain it here, I'll just say that having a browser dictionary app is useful. Do remember to check with others if you've translated something using such an app, though.

A question coming up: Is Simon's theme, 歪んだ太刀筋, equivalent to his title as The Twisted Samurai in Japanese version of the game?

It literally comes to "Distorted Swordsmanship", so the name "Twisted Samurai" isn't too far off the mark. When they don't use his name, which is pretty scarce actually, they refer to him as the "Convict Prosecutor". Only a few times is he actually called a ronin or a samurai in any sense.

Now, since there seems to be a bit of confusion about which track from the sound test is which track on the soundtrack (read: it was me who got confused), I decided to make a list of PLvsPW:AA tracks as well. I don't really have Japanese tracklist yet, so I'm not yet certain about the tracks that were not localized, but aside from "Tale's End" (now confirmed to be "Denouement"), I assigned each of the track names in the right place.

Spoiler: PLvsPW:AA
Disc 1:
01. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ~ Opening Theme
02. About Town ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
03. Bewitching Puzzles
04. A Strange Story ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
05. Labyrinthia
06. Crisis ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
07. A Pleasant Afternoon ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
08. An Uneasy Atmosphere ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
09. Into the Forest
10. Misgivings ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
11. The Dark Forest ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
12. The Shady Workshop
13. Tavern
14. The Town's Past ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
15. Professor Layton's Theme ~ PL vs PW,: AA Version No. 1
16. The City at Night
17. Quiet Moments ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
18. Suspense ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
19. Espella's Theme No. 1 ~ Memory
20. Puzzle Deductions ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
21. Reunion
22. The Professor's Deductions ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
23. Link
24. The Underground Ruins
25. The Audience Room
26. Tension ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
27. The Storyteller's Tower
28. More Puzzles ~ PL vs PW: AA Version
29. The Hidden Garden

Disc 2:
01. Courtroom Lounge ~ Opening Prelude (English Turnabout Mix)
02. Court Begins (English Turnabout Mix)
03. Logic and Tricks (English Turnabout Mix)
04. Suspense (English Turnabout Mix)
05. Cross-Examination ~ Moderato (English Turnabout Mix)
06. Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! (English Turnabout Mix)
07. Cross-Examination ~ Allegro (English Turnabout Mix)
08. Confess The Truth (English Turnabout Mix)
09. Pursuit ~ Cornered (English Turnabout Mix)
10. Won the Case! ~ First Victory (English Turnabout Mix)
11. Deathknell Dungeon ~ The Magical Prelude
12. Witches' Court Convenes
13. Fiery Witnesses
14. Zacharias Barnham ~ The Sword of Labyrinthia
15. Mass Inquisition ~ Moderato
16. Logic and Witchcraft
17. Hit or Miss ~ Suspense
18. Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2012
19. Mass Inquisition ~ Allegro
20. Confess the Truth 2012
21. The Winning Combination
22. Courtroom Magic
23. Reminiscing ~ Fated Magic
24. Courtroom Jester ~ Cheers!
25. Reminiscing ~ A Golden Message
26. Newton Belduke ~ Twilight Memories
27. The Trial of the Great Witch
28. Premonition ~ The Two-Step Turnabout
29. The Creator and the Alchemist
30. Sealed ~ The Darkness Within
31. Reminiscing ~ The Legendary Fire
32. Pursuit ~ Spell-breaker
33. The Final Witness
34. Turnabout Sisters ~ Music Box Melody

Disc 3:
01. Witches' Theme ~ Chase
02. Rainy Night
03. In-Flight
04. Opening
05. Witches' Theme ~ Assault
06. Escape
07. The Magic Book
08. That Case
09. The Storyteller's Theme ~ Parade
10. Judgment ~ Witches' Court
11. A Mysterious Fire
12. The Bell Tower's Arrival
13. The Sorrowful Golden Statue
14. Rescue and Retribution
15. A Familiar Face
16. Into the Ruins
17. A Faint Voice
18. Granwyrm ~ Roar
19. Confrontation
20. Confrontation ~ The Titanic Knights
21. Professor Layton's Theme ~ PL vs PW: AA Version No. 2
22. Festival
23. Sealed Memories
24. Granwyrm ~ Creation
25. Espella's Theme No. 2 ~ Truth
26. Taelende!!
27. The Light of Truth
28. Prelude
29. Tale's End
30. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ~ Ending Theme

Now, you might notice I am a bit... rebellious when it comes to some track names. Aside from me keeping the "Pursuit" prefix for the two "Cornered" themes as well as the suffixes of Espella's themes, there's something off about suffixes in general. This is actually the next thing I'd like to discuss.

The sound test introduced a new track naming format: "prefix - suffix -" It's obviously a bit different from the old "prefix ~ suffix" we knew. I doubt it was influenced by Level-5, given the fact they never used either format in the first place, so I'm pretty sure the new format is official one, at least in the English localization of the series. So, now, I believe we have 3 options to consider:

1. Use "prefix - suffix -" for the crossover and "prefix ~ suffix" for the series (which would make the names pretty inconsistent...)
  2. Use "prefix - suffix -" for both the crossover and the series (which would require even more updating that it took before and take a while to get used to...)
  3. Use "prefix ~ suffix" for both the crossover and the series (which would completely disregard that one thing we got from the official source)

This... I really don't think it's something I should decide myself. ^^;

Last edited by Sligneris on Mon May 19, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Tale's End" is indeed "Denouement".
Spoiler: Japanese track list
【DISC-1】
01. THE OPENING THEME OF "PROFESSOR LAYTON VS GYAKUTEN SAIBAN"
02. 町を歩く ~VS アレンジver.
03. 謎8
04. 不思議な話 ~VS アレンジver.
05. ラビリンスシティ
06. ピンチ! ~VS アレンジver.
07. 穏やかな午後 ~VS アレンジver.
08. 不穏な空気 ~VS アレンジver.
09. 森
10. 疑惑 ~VS アレンジver.
11. 迷いの森 ~VS アレンジver.
12. インク工房
13. 酒場
14. 町の歴史 ~VS アレンジver.
15. レイトン教授のテーマ1 ~VS アレンジver.
16. 夜の町
17. 静かな時間 ~VS アレンジver.
18. サスペンス ~VS アレンジver.
19. マホーネのテーマ ~記憶
20. 謎6 ~VS アレンジver.
21. 再会
22. 教授の推理 ~VS アレンジver.
23. LINK
24. 地下遺跡
25. 謁見
26. 緊迫 ~VS アレンジver.
27. ストーリーテラーの塔
28. 謎5 ~VS アレンジver.
29. 秘密の園

【DISC-2】
01. 英国法廷組曲 法廷休憩室 ~始まりの序曲
02. 英国法廷組曲 逆転裁判・開廷
03. 英国法廷組曲 サスペンス
04. 英国法廷組曲 ロジックとトリック
05. 英国法廷組曲 尋問 ~モデラート
06. 英国法廷組曲 成歩堂龍一 ~異議あり!
07. 英国法廷組曲 尋問 ~アレグロ
08. 英国法廷組曲 真実は告げる
09. 英国法廷組曲 追求 ~追いつめられて
10. 英国法廷組曲 勝訴! ~初めての勝利
11. 闇の間 ~魔女たちの序曲
12. 魔女裁判・開廷
13. 火刑の証人たち
14. ジーケン・バーンロッド ~迷宮の騎士
15. 群衆尋問 ~モデラート
16. ロジックとバロック
17. 迷走 ~サスペンス
18. 成歩堂龍一 ~異議あり! 2012
19. 群衆尋問 ~アレグロ
20. 真実は告げる 2012
21. 共闘のテーマ
22. 法廷の魔術師
23. 追憶 ~運命は魔導
24. ファルス ~おめでたい人びと
25. 追憶 ~黄金のお告げ
26. ミスト・ベルデューク ~黄昏の記憶
27. 大魔女の裁き・開廷
28. 予兆 ~逆転の足音
29. 創造主と錬金術師
30. 封印 ~閉ざされた“黒”
31. 追憶 ~伝説の大火
32. 追求 ~魔法をかけて
33. 最後の証人
34. オルゴールの逆転姉妹

【DISC-3】
01. 魔女のテーマ ~追跡
02. RAINY NIGHT
03. フライト ~機内にて
04. OPENING
05. 魔女のテーマ ~急襲
06. 逃走
07. THE MAGIC BOOK
08. その事件
09. ストーリーテラーのテーマ ~行進
10. 判決 ~魔女裁判
11. 不思議な炎
12. 現れた鐘楼
13. 悲しき黄金像
14. 救出と代償
15. 見覚えのある顔
16. 地下遺跡入口
17. 静かなる声
18. ガリュウ ~咆哮
19. 対決
20. 対決 ~大騎士
21. レイトン教授のテーマ2 ~VS アレンジver.
22. 祭り
23. 封印された記憶
24. ガリュウ ~誕生
25. マホーネのテーマ ~真実
26. ロストーリア!!
27. 真実の光
28. PRELUDE
29. DENOUEMENT
30. THE ENDING THEME OF "PROFESSOR LAYTON VS GYAKUTEN SAIBAN"

And about the official formatting, it's just a change of punctuation. I don't think we need to worry about that.

To be honest, I think we should leave the name on the tracklist as "Denouement" and keep in mind that "Tale's End" from the Sound Test refers to it, considering it seems to be named to be consistent with "Prelude".

On the other hand, another question about the Japanese version of GS5. Is Fulbright's catchphrase solely "ジャスティス", or does he, in fact, use the phrase "合言葉はジャスティス!"?

By the way, lately I made some big changes on some of the tracks. Most of them are actually picked up from other people on the AA Wiki and vgmdb.net, but I do think they are fitting, though some more as a translation rather than localization.

• 18. 星威岳哀牙 ~愛がほしいだけさ | 18. Luke Atmey ~ Look at Me

This one is intended to keep the pun in the track name

• 24. 追憶 ~うらみます、あなた | 24. Reminiscing ~ Curse You, Dear

Known also as "I blame you". I figured it was meant to be a phrase said to someone, with the "、あなた" at the end of the title. While "I blame you" kinda fulfilled that requirement, I was surprised by how that one fit, once I saw it.

• 02. 法廷休憩室 ~未来への序曲 | 02. Courtroom Lounge ~ Prelude of Tomorrow
  • 19. 『未来へのカウントダウン』 | 19. "Countdown to Tomorrow"

These were obviously meant to be follow-ups of "Turnabout to the Future", officially translated as "Turnabout for Tomorrow"... Yeah, pretty much :godot:

• 22. 海賊姉妹エールズ ~7つの海を大冒険 | 22. Cap'n Orla's Swashbucklers ~ The Love to Sail the Seven Seas

Credit for this, and the previous one goes to ChrAblab from the AA Wiki, who pointed out not only the obvious thing about "Tomorrow", but also the fact that this track here was, apparently supposed to be the first line of the song's lyrics.

I like these revisions. They keep somewhat close to the original feels of the track names.

And if you must know, "ジャスティーーース!!", as spoken by the man himself in the GS5 voice drama, is the only thing anyone in this universe could possibly need. Yeah, it's just "ジャスティス". 合言葉 is just there. He does say that line in-game around the first time you meet him, though.

Sligneris wrote:
14. Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters 2001

Just wondering why the word "Theme" isn't part of the translation for Maya Fey's songs.

munchulax wrote:
Just wondering why the word "Theme" isn't part of the translation for Maya Fey's songs.

Actually, good point.

It was left out in the Sound Test track "Turnabout Sisters - Music Box Melody -", so I thought it was left out from the theme itself, but now, it seems that it wasn't there in that music box track in the first place, even in Japanese.

Added back.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Sligneris wrote:
The main logic I followed while translating these was that all of the three below had "to want" in the structure.

GS2 is actually "Wanting to Cross-Examine", not "Questioned", as it uses the same word as in Cross-Examination themes, and is meant (and probably was in Japanese version?) to reference common question in the game, whether we want to continue with questioning.

GK translated as something among the lines of "get down", "investigate thoroughly" and "follow an argument to its logical conclusion"

GK2 was basically just "wanting to find out".

Hmm... I think I'd need more opinions on that one.

Which reminds me, "Keep on Cornering" and "Must Corner" kind of sound weird to me. So here's my theory.

GS4: I Must Pursue/Corner
GS5: Continue to Corner/Pursue

In case you didn't know, despite spellings, "追求" and "追いつめ" use the same first Kanji. Any objections?
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Uh, surprising how I was absolutely wrong about the GS2 Pursuit. One kanji is all it takes to confuse me... *sigh*

The thing with both of these is that they are quite tricky to accurately translate. While your translations do sound cool, and I'd gladly support both of these, unless for the purposes of localization (Luke Atmey pun, Future replaced with Tomorrow, etc.), I generally prefer to keep it as close as possible to the original title.

"追いつめないと" seems to be similar to "Cornering is indispensable" ...Obviously, we can't just go with that. I don't know, I don't think there's anything to suggest a presence of an "I" here.
^ doesn't actually know a first thing about Japanese sentence structure

"追いつめまくれ"... "Cornering is turned up"? The first thing that comes to mind is "Cornering intensifies".... No, we also can't go with that one.

Obviously, since I'm not sure, I'm not saying no, either. I just wanted to get the basics cleared up and perhaps start from there.

Sligneris wrote:
"追いつめないと" seems to be similar to "Cornering is indispensable" ...Obviously, we can't just go with that. I don't know, I don't think there's anything to suggest a presence of an "I" here.

There is no "I" involved. It's just like saying "Gotta pursue/corner" without indication of whom is going to.

Quote:
"追いつめまくれ"... "Cornering is turned up"? The first thing that comes to mind is "Cornering intensifies".... No, we also can't go with that one.

More like "Cornering with your all"; まくれ is a verb suffix here that suggests doing something recklessly.

I say they're fine as they are.

Yup, thanks Rubia.

On a side note, I must admit at one point I was tempted to name GK's Pursuit "Wanting to Get Down" =P

Not sure how accurate that would be though... xD

Not part of the actual translation, since we're using localized names here, but I wonder if Larry's theme,
"事件の影にやっぱりオレ" would accurately translate into "Where There's Trouble, You Know It's Me in the Shadows"?

This is the closest I could think of.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Damn that sounds shady.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Well, I can't really pretend that 影 isn't there, can I? =P

Did I blame you for it?

You didn't. Did I react like you did? =o

Larry is the mastermind hiding in the shadows =D

I dunno. Did you? Okay, actually, let's stop it right there.

Ewwww. It would hardly surprise me if it turned out he was somehow responsible for everything, lurking around behind the scenes all along :gantdown:

Sligneris wrote:
Not part of the actual translation, since we're using localized names here, but I wonder if Larry's theme,
"事件の影にやっぱりオレ" would accurately translate into "Where There's Trouble, You Know It's Me in the Shadows"?

This is the closest I could think of.

事件の影 refers to matters behind some happenstance and isn't necessarily meant to be shady. Using "shadows" could be a bit too literal.

Of course, this IS Larry we're talking about...

So, what you're saying is that "Where There's Trouble, You Know It's Me" is enough?

Yep, it's another of those expressions that don't need to be taken literally. I doubt Larry actually runs around causing mayhem.

Y̖͇̟ͅo̰̥͎͠u͓̖̰͡ ̜̼̮̻͝s͚͚̺̦̫͡ͅu͔̞̥̲͝r͘e̷̤̼̬̩̭̲̙ ̠͓͞o͕͈̫͉ͅf̡̺̳͓͚̱̞̱ ̮̲̀t̲̫̳̟̱͡h̨̹̦a̴͉̙͇͇͎̹ṭ̹͍̞.͎͖ͅ.̹̙͍͓̬͔ͅ.͚̯͓͝?̺͡

That was the creepiest post I've ever seen on this forum. On any forum.

事件の影にやっぱりスリグネリス。

Page 2 of 2 [ 80 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby