Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 4 of 135[ 5398 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 135  Next

Re: Phoenix Wright - The Musical. [Seriously. U:11/24]Topic%20Title

Yes, why yes we do! =) As said, we need a draft for now. Specific scenes and songs follow later. If you want to help, grab a copy of the game script (see OP) and plan it out roughly for a musical. I hope to be comparing and synchronizing drafts sometime next week.

What is my liiiife?!?

Oh... you want us to plan the whole thing? That isn't going to be easy, but I'll try my best :)

Slightly Disheveled Radiator

Location: In a box on a hill towards the west banks of an unknown river.

Hmm. I'm sort of musicalish and I'd like to help somehow...I'm a sort of okay singer and I take a theory class and I do want to go to school for arrangements...

If you have Sibelius I can give you something I wrote once, or if not I can just record the play back and send that to you.
Created by Vickinator, the greatest person EVER.
~ Crying in Public ~ The Kallisti Project: Samurai Arc

Married to Sakuro*And Eximplode07

Let's ROCK this bizzitch...with love!

Next week, alright. That gives me a pretty strict deadline for all this, which should get me started right away.

I think I'll do something from 1-3, since it was one of my favorite cases. :D
Icon by kakita_akari on Livejournal!

Foolish Fool

i'll properly try some song ideas, i'm doing uni work but it won't be impossible for me to stuff in spare time (luckily i have lots of that)

Thank you, Trabz.

I'll start with 1-2 cause, it's just an awesome case. :D *goes to work on case*.
Thank you, Vickinator, for this very beautiful signature!

Wife to Takita and mother of Bleachlover, Lauren Order, and andrx. Anime Fever. You know you want to click it.

What is my liiiife?!?

I guess that means I'll start with 4-4 then. Trust me to throw myself off the deep end XD

MercuryKitten wrote:
Hmm. I'm sort of musicalish and I'd like to help somehow...I'm a sort of okay singer and I take a theory class and I do want to go to school for arrangements...

If you have Sibelius I can give you something I wrote once, or if not I can just record the play back and send that to you.

No Sibelius =( A recording would be superb though. And a voice clip! I've been sent the second voice clip so far today and I'm afraid this project is going to be awesome. There's a role for everyone!

__

I'll start with the overture/1-1, probably +diagrams.

Gah D: A voice clip? What the crap should I sing? T_T

And here's an upload of a Sibelius playback. If anyone's not aware, Sibelius is a program that lets one input notes and compose on the computer, and then it plays back what you've typed in in a really crappy midi preview. So I recorded that preview with an even crappier recorder and got this piece of...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/65i6wy

It's a download and an MP3. Basically I got bored and made a theme song for my PW OC, so it's supposed to sound kinda video gamey...I can write stuff that's a bit more musicalish too, just nothing's recorded or on Sibelius yet.
If you don't like it I understand. xD

Here's a screenshot I took of the sheet music;

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/Ch ... tmusic.jpg

Enjoy!

MercuryKitten wrote:

Would you like a ticket for the M.S. Wright? It's a boat full of musical and win.

What is my liiiife?!?

In normal English, welcome to the team :)

Haha, thanks! *accepts ticket* I'm glad you all liked it.

Oh, wow, MercuryKitten, that's catchy. :D I think you'd be good at making a recurring theme for the musical.

I'll probably end up turning this into my Music Theory thesis. XD Are we doing music based off the game music or entirely original?

Entirely original, if possible. We might stick game themes in there, but otherwise, it's the same story, new material.

At least, I think that's what we're thinking of. I'm sure the other producers have other ideas, to be honest. XD

Today's special: Lawyer

I can still help with the music once you get ideas since you seem to have the scripts started already. I'll also be glad to look over the scripts for fine tuning etc.
Oh and for the 1-1 issue, maybe if there was a short intro, such as Phoenix being nervous before his first trial. It could only be a few lines, but still. Then cut to the courtroom and dive right into the song, right where the case is about to turn around. Maybe rapid fire summary of the trial and evidence leads up to Sawhit's screw up?

Got a weird mental image of "God, I think I'm neverous...Oh my god, I'm nervious" and random people popping up as a chorus singing "HE'S NERVOUS. HE'S NERVOUS."

Maybe I shouldn't be on this. xD

Of course not! We all want it to be slightly silly like that. Musicals are out of the ordinary, after all. :D

Itani: We want to sum up 1-1 as quick as possible and have room for exposition too, so that sounds fantastic. Everyone can look over the scripts for fine-tuning, too, as we need people who aren't writers to look it over as well.

I won't get back to Boston until Tuesday, so you probably won't get my voice sample until that evening.

I would say that we should aim for a core audience of PW fans -- people who already know the series. I think it's the audience we're likely to get, for one thing, and for another, a fan project like this is really a contribution to the community; we're doing it because we love the game, and we want to share it with others who love it too. If it's good enough, it could draw in outsiders as well, but in that case it should make those people want to start playing the actual games.

If we're doing two acts, I would suggest putting the intermission right after the beginning of 1-4 for maximum effect. That is, we see Edgeworth with the gun, blackout, intermission. And for the murders at the beginning of each case, it would be cool to see it performed in shadow or behind a scrim (or, as this will be a digital production, an appropriate equivalent). But during the beginning of 1-4, right at the end there's a spotlight on Edgeworth.

The problem I'm having is overall continuity. In a musical that encompasses the whole game, that's going to be really important to justify making the whole thing one show. So we need to find the segments of each case that become important later and emphasize them, maybe even elaborating on what the game provides. The main problem for this is case 1-3. It has important elements, it's interesting, and fans will want to see it, but unfortunately its intricacies have little to do with the overall story. So it will probably need to be cut down somewhat, both for length and to ensure the show doesn't lose focus.

So are we hoping to animate it, for now? There are some things to work out there, but we'll need to have a full script and be well on our way with the audio before we start asking for people to work on the visual part. That's another thing: advertising is important, animation is important, but before we start in on those things we really need to have something concrete that we can show people. We need to stay focused on the writing aspect right now and not get carried away, or this project isn't going anywhere.

About how many songs do we want to include? Continuity in songs is, as people have mentioned, very important. Not only will we want to reprise important songs, but we might also want to include certain themes that can recur (e.g. the "unlimited" bits in Wicked). And specific songs might be written to fit together so that they could overlap in a reprise down the line.

What themes do we want to emphasize? Obviously, the friendship/rivalry between Edgeworth and Phoenix is integral to the overarcing plot; there's also Phoenix's evolution as a lawyer, themes of trust, and winning vs. finding the truth.

Finally, what tools does everyone have? I'll be on a Mac; I have Garageband, Reason, and Finale, which I know how to use fairly well, along with a couple of other programs I'm not well-versed in. How will we go about recording and assembling larger numbers with multiple vocalists?

I've got Sibelius, Garageband, Finale, and Protools.

Miss Prince: For numbers with multiple vocalists, I think we have the tools to sync everyone together or something along those lines. For coaching and "rehearsals", as well as reading lines together, we can do IM sessions using microphones instead of using text on-screen. (Mics aren't too expensive, if you don't have one. They're like...20 U.S. dollars, I think?)

I'm liking the ideas for core audience and intermission (ESPECIALLY the intermission, it sounds cool), and I agree with you that we need to get our script down ASAP. To the writers, try doing a bit each day, even if it's just writing a bare-bones outline one day and a few lines the next. Try and get it all done quickly, but it doesn't need to be perfect. We'll edit it, don't worry!

Foolish Fool

oooh you got ProTools at home? i've only got access to that at uni (got another lesson with it tomorrow)

DON'T INTERRUPT ME, JUSTICE!!!

I'd like to give a hand if I can. I suck at singing, but I can arrange pieces fairly well. I also have garageband so I can put together samples if you want.
Image (thanks to Vickinator for the awesome sig and avatar.)

What is my liiiife?!?

I've got a few pages done, although it's a very rough draft. Here's what I've got for the beginning of 1-4, which will be the cliffhanger thanks to the idea from Miss Price

(Foggy and cold night; two figures are on boat in lake. light is focussed around bottom of boat and fog so the people are obscured.)

Yogi: I can't believe its been fifteen years... such a long time to wait.
Edgey: Waiting for what exactly?
Yogi: The perfect opportunity... you can't imagine how much I've suffered.
Edgey: You... suffered?
Yogi: And now, I shall finally have my revenge at last. (He pulls out his gun)
Edgey: You can't be serious about this...
Yogi:Merry Christmas... Miles Edgeworth
(All lights are cut, and two gunshots are fired, with a gap in between. The lights turn on, and Yogi falls into lake)
Edgey: Why...Why did this have to resurface?
(Spotlights shine onto Edgey, holding the gun)
Edgey:How could he... betray me like this... (Lights go off)

Gerkuman wrote:
I've got a few pages done, although it's a very rough draft. Here's what I've got for the beginning of 1-4, which will be the cliffhanger thanks to the idea from Miss Price

(Foggy and cold night; two figures are on boat in lake. light is focussed around bottom of boat and fog so the people are obscured.)

Yogi: I can't believe its been fifteen years... such a long time to wait.
Edgey: Waiting for what exactly?
Yogi: The perfect opportunity... you can't imagine how much I've suffered.
Edgey: You... suffered?
Yogi: And now, I shall finally have my revenge at last. (He pulls out his gun)
Edgey: You can't be serious about this...
Yogi:Merry Christmas... Miles Edgeworth
(All lights are cut, and two gunshots are fired, with a gap in between. The lights turn on, and Yogi falls into lake)
Edgey: Why...Why did this have to resurface?
(Spotlights shine onto Edgey, holding the gun)
Edgey:How could he... betray me like this... (Lights go off)

IMMA CHARGIN MAH-
*shoop da whoop*
AH YA BEAT MEH.

That sounds great so far! Miss Prince wanted to use it before intermission, and the way you wrote it, I think we can still do that.

Gerkuman wrote:
Hmm, another interesting idea. Perhaps each witness should be backed by different instruments. Gumshoe could have brass instruments, Edgey could have strings etc.

That's sort of the same idea I had, but much more simplified.

DON'T INTERRUPT ME, JUSTICE!!!

I'm incliend to think that setting up a basic melody and do variations on it (i.e. slower, more refined for Edgeworth, techno sounding for Sal). Having a predominate instrument would be a good idea though.
Image (thanks to Vickinator for the awesome sig and avatar.)

Jenna_Darknight wrote:
I'm incliend to think that setting up a basic melody and do variations on it (i.e. slower, more refined for Edgeworth, techno sounding for Sal). Having a predominate instrument would be a good idea though.

Now we've got a choice- basic melody for the entire show, or basic melody for the characters? It would be a bit too repetative if we had two really dominate melodies for the whole show instead of just one or a few small ones.

For 1-4, we could also hear the body splash into the lake during the blackout. Since technically, didn't Yogi jump into the lake? Plus it makes it a bit more mysterious since you'll never actually see Yogi at the time. Though, I'm not sure if you wanted to try to maintain the "who was with edgey???" feeling or not.

Edit: Just saw the last post on music. I think that a recurring melody would be fine, but maybe have the witnesses have their own short one perhaps. Through if there were a couple recurring melodies (Phoenix, Edgeworth, Gumshoe, Maya) in the show, it should still work well. A few musicals have done that before. Ex. I remember when my school put on Jesus Christ Superstar there were a lot of the same melodies. Caiaphas and Annas often sung the same melody for whatever song they were in. Wicked also had a few similar ones if I'm not mistaken. Avenue Q did as well.
The recurring may make the composing a little easier, just a thought.

Last edited by ItaniMajere on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voice warps. We could make it so that Yogi is still speaking, but his voice is manipulated in some way or another- it's deeper or something.

Hm, point taken. So for the digital version, would we just use the animations for the boat scene already in the game?

It would look a bit bland if we did so, since the animations are a bit picture-book-esque and we're going for something that's more lively. That means we would have to add things like people moving their mouths, etc.

I think it would be better if we animated it from scratch, but used the original animations for reference.

What is my liiiife?!?

You forgot, Yanni Yogi put on the act of being mad. That might include his voice becoming higher and more crazed. As long as the person playing Yogi is good at voices, a lot of people wouldn't get it.

Besides, some people guessed Yogi was the man on the boat as soon as he appeared in the game, so we don't have to worry too much.

What is my liiiife?!?

well, instead of just apologising for double posting I'll add something else. The animation doesn't bother me too much, but if we make it too realistic it belies the point, So: Why not animate the person who's playing the part.

I.e. if I was playing Grossberg then you'd draw me playing Grossberg

Last edited by Gerkuman on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I want to change my nickname to Wrighto

atomicscribble wrote:
It would look a bit bland if we did so, since the animations are a bit picture-book-esque and we're going for something that's more lively. That means we would have to add things like people moving their mouths, etc.

I think it would be better if we animated it from scratch, but used the original animations for reference.

Like the new Phoenix Wrong attempt?
"Gimme back my coffee!" -Godot

Wright_ wrote:
atomicscribble wrote:

Like the new Phoenix Wrong attempt?

Can I have a link to it? :O

Ethed is the one in charge for voices, I believe. Whoever Eth picks for Yanni Yogi, they should have a wide voice range.

GODDAMMIT. I had a whole random melody all lined up and my Sib quit on me D:

*kicks computer*

I want to change my nickname to Wrighto

http://www.forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?t=93
"Gimme back my coffee!" -Godot

Wright_ wrote:

Something along those lines. XD But with a lot more branching out, too- more expressions, etc.

Foolish Fool

Gerkuman wrote:
well, instead of just apologising for double posting I'll add something else. The animation doesn't bother me too much, but if we make it too realistic it belies the point, So: Why not animate the person who's playing the part.

I.e. if I was playing Grossberg then you'd draw me playing Grossberg

yes but theres a 2 hour song about hemroids :gant:
Page 4 of 135 [ 5398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 135  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby