Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 4 of 12[ 446 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Re: The PW Sexuality ThreadTopic%20Title

The girl who's kicking the coke machine

{CI}Jackie Estacado wrote:
I propose the following: the character's sexuality is at the whim of the author. That way, we won't need to argue about "OH HE'S GAY!" "NO, HE'S STRAIGHT!" "NO, HE'S ATTRACTED TO HIS CAT!", people who think Larry and Edgeworth are gay and Adrian is straight can go their merry ways, and Pearl/Trucy will make that much more sense.

And yes, I like to practice random acts of shipping. Is there any problem in that?

Having written Morgan/Oldbag, it would be hypocritical of me to not condone random acts of shipping.

In other news, IAWTC~

So moe for Makoto it's funny.

Well, Mu, you should know well enough that I'm completely fine with the idea of Edgeworth being gay :P It's not that I don't want to think he's gay at all. And, like we've said in joint tag-team arguments in the past, "Gay... and in love with Phoenix" looks an awful lot like "Asexual... and in love with Phoenix." Phoenix is the exception rather than the rule (just how we agree that Phoenix is mostly straight, but Edgey would be an exception).

You're right, Edgey's one reaction is to Phoenix, and I'm right there with you on the "Edgeworth <3s Nick" angle. I don't, however, feel that this is indicative of overall sexuality. I really do see both the Von Karma siblings as tending more towards the neutral/asexual than anything else; their career hasn't left much time for anything else (in my headcanon). Of course, individual people are exceptions--Phoenix for Edgeworth, Adrian for Franziska.
Image (Awesome sig art by Axl99!)

The girl who's kicking the coke machine

You know, I might be wrong, but being able to love someone without it conforming to their sexuality (and so without being conventionally attracted to them)- does it have a name? Pansexual or something?

Sexuality is so confusing sometimes... XD

Thanks to detriment at LJ!

Its not pansexual, but there should be word for that... *scratches head*
"...Your animal analogies have grown tiresome!"

Male that RPs as a Lesbian

Ayries Kukku wrote:
You know, I might be wrong, but being able to love someone without it conforming to their sexuality (and so without being conventionally attracted to them)- does it have a name? Pansexual or something?

Sexuality is so confusing sometimes... XD

ALA wikipedia
Quote:
Pansexuality (sometimes referred to as omnisexuality[1]) is a sexual orientation characterized by the potential for aesthetic attraction, romantic love and/or sexual desire for people, regardless of their gender identity or biological sex. This includes potential attraction to people who do not fit into the gender binary of male/female implied by bisexual attraction. Pansexuality is sometimes described as the capacity to love a person romantically irrespective of gender. Some pansexuals also assert that gender and sex are meaningless to them. The word pansexual is derived from the Greek prefix pan-, meaning "all". This prefix is used specifically in contrast to the idea of 'two' genders as expressed by bi-, not to encompass all forms of sexuality, such as sexual fetishes unrelated to gender.

ImageMy sig was made by the super Awesome Topaz Fey.

Then I'll invent one:

I'lllovewhothefuckiwantsexual
I yell "OBJECTION!" in the court sometimes!

Thanks to detriment at LJ!

ILWTFIWSexual is kinda long, even for an abbrieviation. XD
"...Your animal analogies have grown tiresome!"

Ready to RAWK!?

Technically, this thread already exists, actually, in a sense, in the form of the "virgin/not a virgin" thread.
Image Image Image Image
Posted by Request.
Sig by Elriel. Avatar taken from a YouTube video of Rawk Hawk's Theme.
Sig changed on December 08, 2008. Avatar changed on December 14, 2008.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Just as a friendly mod reminder...this thread doesn't have to be about canon-ness. The only canon on sexuality in the games is that there is no stated canon. So guesses, assumptions, and whim are all fair game.

The best any of us can do is state how we got to the opinions we have, so no one here should feel like anyone is forcing "canon" facts on them. 'kay? :D

Back to the discussion at hand, I don't think Apollo gives enough in GS4 to really delve into his sexuality. I don't remember him having any embarrassed reactions to any of the women... even Makoto, who's cute as a button <3. But he doesn't show much of an emotional attachment to any of the guys, either. Not romantically, anyway. Need to see more of him.

Klavier, on the other hand, obviously likes flirting with girls. But I'm pretty sure at one point he says...

Spoiler: Not a spoiler, but I'm cutting it anyway
"I'm not used to guys staring at me." (as opposed to girls). So I hesitate to say that he's had any experiences with guys prior to GS4.

ImageImage

efficient use of mistletoe

Aevitas wrote:
This is my take on those things:
Spoiler:
Getting pissy when Phoenix seems to evidence attraction to Iris: I can't remember any time during that case where he expressed this. If anything, he was trying them to make up with each other, even though he had no idea what was going on between them. At some point, he told Iris that she has a special place in his heart. If he was pissy about it, why would he tell her directly? Also, he agreed to defend Iris under the terms that she would tell Phoenix her secret. It seems to me he wanted them to be happy and free from secrets more than anything.. =\

Paralleling Iris' secret to his own: Iris just asked Edgeworth if he has a deep dark secret in his heart. It's never mentioned what kind of nature this secret was... and getting a glimpse of Edgeworth's past, there's probably a few. The only common ground their secrets shared was that it was a very well hidden secret, and that's it.. at least that's how I interpreted it. I figured Edgeworth's secret would have had to do something about his break between AA and JFA.

Getting upset when he thinks Phoenix is there to mock him: What incident were you referring to when you were talking about this?

Edgeworth reacting emotionally to women: I don't know if it's emotional but there has to be SOME involved.. whenever Maya was in danger, he took immediate action to rescue her, and after she's recovered, he always shows some form of relief, such as, "Maya.. I'm relieved to see that you're alright." Yes, it can be argued that he only cared about her wellbeing for Phoenix's sake, but we'll never know at this rate considering one side can always flip the argument around in their favor. :keiko:

Throwing a couple pennies at you:
Spoiler:
There's one incident I can think of - when you show him the hood in the garden, they have a somewhat strange conversation where Phoenix insists that it helped his fever go down, and Edgeworth snidely shoots it down before changing the topic, jarringly, to "Anyway, it seems to me there's something going on between you and that girl." It's low-key, but reads to me as weirdly pissy. Almost accusatory, really.

The secret is more strongly parelleled than that, I think - you don't get that scene unless you specifically mess up on presenting PHOENIX. Edgeworth has guessed - correctly - that Iris's secret involves Phoenix. Then she calls him out on his, which implies strongly that Edgeworth's secret has to do with him or that it is something Edgeworth doesn't want Phoenix to know. But Phoenix has seen Edgeworth at his worst and still cares about and trusts him, so there's not much Edgeworth COULDN'T tell him, is there? He freely talks about 3-4, which is probably his last work-related closet skeleton, without any hint of the degree of apprehension that would be appropriate for a DARK SECRET DEEP IN HIS HEEAAART. I just don't think there's anything that Edgeworth could do that would 1) be in character for him, and 2) be something he can't tell Phoenix about. Out of curiosity, how could it be about the break between AA and JFA? Edgeworth pretty freely discussed his shameful reasons for leaving and what he had learned after doing so...

I think musouka is referring to the earthquake incident in T&T, where he gets all angsty and ARE YOU HERE TO LAUGH AT ME when Phoenix goes to the garden to talk to him. Can't speak for her, though.

It would be pretty stupid to argue that Edgeworth only cares about Maya for Phoenix's sake, in my opinion - it's pretty clear to me at least that he cares about her for her sake. He's grateful to her, and seems as fond of her as a person as she is of him. But it's also pretty clearly a platonic sort of affection. I don't think Edgeworth's relationship with Maya can be used as an argument either way on Phoenix/Edgeworth or Edgeworth's sexuality.

SMEWWOVISION WEPWACES TEWWOVISION?!

:karma: / Image Image Image
You can't stop the bacon. Nobody can stop the baaaaacooooooon!
Image Image Image Image Image

Lyssie wrote:
Aevitas wrote:
This is my take on those things:
Spoiler:
Getting pissy when Phoenix seems to evidence attraction to Iris: I can't remember any time during that case where he expressed this. If anything, he was trying them to make up with each other, even though he had no idea what was going on between them. At some point, he told Iris that she has a special place in his heart. If he was pissy about it, why would he tell her directly? Also, he agreed to defend Iris under the terms that she would tell Phoenix her secret. It seems to me he wanted them to be happy and free from secrets more than anything.. =\

Paralleling Iris' secret to his own: Iris just asked Edgeworth if he has a deep dark secret in his heart. It's never mentioned what kind of nature this secret was... and getting a glimpse of Edgeworth's past, there's probably a few. The only common ground their secrets shared was that it was a very well hidden secret, and that's it.. at least that's how I interpreted it. I figured Edgeworth's secret would have had to do something about his break between AA and JFA.

Getting upset when he thinks Phoenix is there to mock him: What incident were you referring to when you were talking about this?

Edgeworth reacting emotionally to women: I don't know if it's emotional but there has to be SOME involved.. whenever Maya was in danger, he took immediate action to rescue her, and after she's recovered, he always shows some form of relief, such as, "Maya.. I'm relieved to see that you're alright." Yes, it can be argued that he only cared about her wellbeing for Phoenix's sake, but we'll never know at this rate considering one side can always flip the argument around in their favor. :keiko:

Throwing a couple pennies at you:
Spoiler:
There's one incident I can think of - when you show him the hood in the garden, they have a somewhat strange conversation where Phoenix insists that it helped his fever go down, and Edgeworth snidely shoots it down before changing the topic, jarringly, to "Anyway, it seems to me there's something going on between you and that girl." It's low-key, but reads to me as weirdly pissy. Almost accusatory, really.

Spoiler:
I actually saw that as Phoenix claiming that the hood had "spiritual powers" and was helping him feel better, and Edgeworth being a man of science was rolling his eyes at the possibility that he would believe in something like that. That's only my take on it, I'll be replaying that case pretty soon, so I'll see if I interpret it differently the next time I see it.

Quote:
Spoiler:
The secret is more strongly parelleled than that, I think - you don't get that scene unless you specifically mess up on presenting PHOENIX. Edgeworth has guessed - correctly - that Iris's secret involves Phoenix. Then she calls him out on his, which implies strongly that Edgeworth's secret has to do with him or that it is something Edgeworth doesn't want Phoenix to know. But Phoenix has seen Edgeworth at his worst and still cares about and trusts him, so there's not much Edgeworth COULDN'T tell him, is there? He freely talks about 3-4, which is probably his last work-related closet skeleton, without any hint of the degree of apprehension that would be appropriate for a DARK SECRET DEEP IN HIS HEEAAART. I just don't think there's anything that Edgeworth could do that would 1) be in character for him, and 2) be something he can't tell Phoenix about. Out of curiosity, how could it be about the break between AA and JFA? Edgeworth pretty freely discussed his shameful reasons for leaving and what he had learned after doing so...

Spoiler:
I actually rewatched that exact clip on Youtube where Edgeworth screwed up on Iris' Psyche Locks and that's how I interpreted it. From what I could understand, it didn't seem to read that deeply, but that's only my take. And as for his break between AA and JFA, he never actually said what he did during that time, he just "went away" for a year, and didn't contact anyone during that period (aside from Gumshoe from time to time apparently) and being the deep character that he is, we can only speculate what else he has to figure out in that deep, dark heart of his.

Quote:
It would be pretty stupid to argue that Edgeworth only cares about Maya for Phoenix's sake, in my opinion - it's pretty clear to me at least that he cares about her for her sake. He's grateful to her, and seems as fond of her as a person as she is of him. But it's also pretty clearly a platonic sort of affection. I don't think Edgeworth's relationship with Maya can be used as an argument either way on Phoenix/Edgeworth or Edgeworth's sexuality.[/spoiler]

I agree on your point... I believe he's fond of Maya just because it's what happens when you spend time with people. I only brought it up because lots of arguments were stating that he doesn't show any affection toward women or show any interest in them and whatnot. I merely interpreted the term "affection" as a "gesture of kindness" if you will. If one wanted to argue that he didn't show romantic interest in anyone, well.. neither did a lot of characters in this game, and their sexuality isn't questioned nearly as much as Edgeworth's. People who are more reserved in how they express their emotions doesn't necessarily swing their sexuality one way or the other.

One K, one R, two V's. Gawd.

Well I support :phoenix: - :edgeworth:, :phoenix: - :eh?:, :edgeworth: - :eh?:, so... Yeah...
:godot: is straight cos him and nick scare me and him and Moobers scares me more... so is *looks at smiley list* :udgy: :maya: :jake: :hotti: :shoe: :maggy: :larry:

I have awkward pairings for just about everyone else...
ImageImageImageImage
Married to Don- Mom to Obby, Wassa, Gavinner, and someone whose name starts with a C... :P
Comics Updated August 13th

見たのか・・・!

Sklarvv wrote:
Well I support :phoenix: - :edgeworth:, :phoenix: - :eh?:, :edgeworth: - :eh?:

Why not just go all out :phoenix: - :edgeworth: - :eh?: !?

efficient use of mistletoe

Aevitas wrote:
Spoiler:
I actually saw that as Phoenix claiming that the hood had "spiritual powers" and was helping him feel better, and Edgeworth being a man of science was rolling his eyes at the possibility that he would believe in something like that. That's only my take on it, I'll be replaying that case pretty soon, so I'll see if I interpret it differently the next time I see it.

Spoiler:
Hmm, I don't remember any mention of "spiritual powers", but I guess that's a way you could look at that. But if that's what's going on, why does Edgeworth take a hard conversational left into YOU LIKE HER DON'T YOU?

(Also quick note: He's really not as much of a "man of science" as he'd have you believe, that's his excuse. XD His hatred of the supernatural is entirely irrational and personal. ... Just throwing that out there. XD)

Aevitas wrote:
Spoiler:
I actually rewatched that exact clip on Youtube where Edgeworth screwed up on Iris' Psyche Locks and that's how I interpreted it. From what I could understand, it didn't seem to read that deeply, but that's only my take. And as for his break between AA and JFA, he never actually said what he did during that time, he just "went away" for a year, and didn't contact anyone during that period (aside from Gumshoe from time to time apparently) and being the deep character that he is, we can only speculate what else he has to figure out in that deep, dark heart of his.

Spoiler:
I can't see how the sequence makes any sense if it doesn't read that deeply, myself. XD No, he didn't say anything about what he did then, but we do know that he was sorting himself out. And then he came back. A guy like Edgeworth, who ran away leaving a pseuicide note because he didn't understand himself or what he was doing with his life, and stayed away for a whole year letting people think he was dead... why would he come back, unprompted, if he was keeping some secret about that time or his reasons for leaving that was deep and private enough to actually hurt him when it's brought up? Especially considering how, in JFA, he comes back calm and confident, and much more at ease with himself. (With bombastic theme music, even!)

Aevitas wrote:
Spoiler:
I agree on your point... I believe he's fond of Maya just because it's what happens when you spend time with people. I only brought it up because lots of arguments were stating that he doesn't show any affection toward women or show any interest in them and whatnot. I merely interpreted the term "affection" as a "gesture of kindness" if you will. If one wanted to argue that he didn't show romantic interest in anyone, well.. neither did a lot of characters in this game, and their sexuality isn't questioned nearly as much as Edgeworth's. People who are more reserved in how they express their emotions doesn't necessarily swing their sexuality one way or the other.

Spoiler:
That's a bit of a non sequitur, though, isn't it? We're arguing about his sexuality - that doesn't preclude friendship at all. You can show affection to a woman without having interest in women, it happens all the time! I think you're being a bit too broad there. It sounds like you were reading the argument as "Edgeworth is gay because he isn't nice to women ever". Which I don't believe anyone was seriously arguing, because frankly it's stupid.

It's not so much a matter of him showing or not showing romantic interest as it is him persistently failing to show any interest even when prompted. He hears about a bikini woman and his first thought is "On this cold mountain?" Gumshoe thinks he's had girlfriends and his reaction is pure spluttering shock. This, combined with the frankly jaw-dropping things he does for and says to Phoenix, in addition to thematic things that reinforce their incredible importance to one another, is why his sexuality gets questioned so much.

... To take a step back from the actual argument, why is questioning his sexuality such a bad thing, anyway? There's as much resistance to the idea as there is advocacy of it. Adrian is just as ambiguous in far less screen time, and it seems to me that almost everyone agrees that she's most likely a lesbian... with Edgeworth it always comes down to multi-page teal deer debates. Why is that? Is it somehow worse for Edgeworth to be gay than Adrian? XD;

Hey, pal!

Spoiler: Just in case
I don't think it's that at all: It's that Edgeworth has more fans, and more people who like him from more varied backgrounds, moral codes, and view points. Adrian Andrews , on the other hand, the only people who really care about shipping her like the hot lesbian sexitude, or possibly are shipping her with Larry, which would be lulz.

Also, no one's mentioned the fact that Phoenix is Edgeworth's DL-6 Security blanket. A fact which is made of crystilized lulz.

Siggy by Vickinator. Who is amazing

俺の黄金の魔女

Croik wrote:
Back to the discussion at hand, I don't think Apollo gives enough in GS4 to really delve into his sexuality. I don't remember him having any embarrassed reactions to any of the women... even Makoto, who's cute as a button <3.

Spoiler: GS4
To my recollection, he evidenced clear attraction to Minami--which I found absolutely adorable. Makoto is indeed cute, but she's also really weird, which I think probably explains why Apollo didn't really have a reaction to her.

Croik wrote:
Klavier, on the other hand, obviously likes flirting with girls. But I'm pretty sure at one point he says...

Spoiler: Not a spoiler, but I'm cutting it anyway
"I'm not used to guys staring at me." (as opposed to girls). So I hesitate to say that he's had any experiences with guys prior to GS4.

Noting a lack of something in your life is far from not wanting it in your life. I'm pretty sure the context of that conversation was "as fans" to which, uh, yeah, he probably doesn't have a lot of guy ones. Says nothing one way or the other whether he dates guys. I doubt he would date his fans of either gender. :hotti:

But, I also found it amusing that you chose that line in particular to mention, since that, coupled with his demeanor as he said it, was what made me laugh and think, "Dude, stop hitting on my lawyerly avatar."

We don't have three games of canon to make a choice either way yet, but that's how it came across to me. ::shrugs::

I like a man with a big ... vocabulary.

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
Well, we know for a fact that he's not straight.

I dunno. I just don't see him as really being attracted to people who aren't Phoenix Wright. He's Phoenixsexual as Franziska is Adriansexual.

Well when I write him, he's a gay man, he's aware of it, and he has been since his early teens. He's not Phoenixsexual, he's homosexual. In fact he is attracted/remembers being attracted to/having sexual encounters with other men apart from Phoenix more than once in stories I have written. I've never viewed him as clueless about sex or unable to obtain it for himself. Emotional attachments/attractions - well that's another kettle of fish entirely - he has ... issues, shall we say :redd:

It's what I took away from the game when I started considering his character at great length (and probably to unhealthy degrees in an attempt to write from his POV which we see little of in the games). I made decisions on his character over a period of time based on what I feel is most likely from the games. I've never written him any other way and not sure I could now! Plus, it's fun inventing sexy men for him to fool around with. Ahem

That's only *my* interpretation of the character though, which is no doubt coloured by my own experiences, my acquaintance, and my literary/movie/pop culture tastes - just like everyone else's is. It's not a case of "oh I want him to be gay" - if he'd not felt that way to me I would have happily written him as something else or written something else entirely. PW is the only fandom I am at all engaged in so it's not like I have a habit of going round looking for people to pair up in games and so forth - LOL! I just interpret and write the characters as they strike me from the games *shrug*.

I think there are plenty of other interpretations that are just as valid, depending on how you read events and text in the games - which is why I rarely argue the point :edgy: people either like my Edgeworth, or they don't. He's unique, but then so should everyone's reinterpretation of a character be, as it's as much about what you bring to it as what you take away.
"Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good". - Thomas Paine

Last edited by KingMobUK on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aevitas wrote:
I agree with this. Also, when I replayed JFA, Edgeworth called Adrian at one point a "fragile beauty." This says to me, that he does admire certain qualities in women, but they're just not explicitly what a lot of guys would look for right off the bat. He could've used a lot of other words to describe her ('witness', 'woman', more objective terms), but he chose "beauty" instead. Guys swoon over Dahlia, April, etc. for obvious reasons, but Edgeworth seems like the kind of person who looks for deeper reasons to show appreciation toward the opposite sex.

He refers to Fran as a "wild mare".

He could have used lots of other words to describe her as well, and I'm not sure "wild mare" shows much of an appreciation. It's a good job he didn't say it to her face. :udgy:

I tend to think his turn of phrase is poetic/gothic lit sometimes ("Melodrama is me! WOES!") but that's not related to his sexuality. Possibly a misspent youth reading forbidden books in the Von Karma library as Franziska is equally overdramatic.
"Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good". - Thomas Paine

The Father of Death

I think Kirihito's straight. And not just because it would screw my pairing if he wasn't. He's just a bit....
Spoiler: GS4-4. Oh dear.
The nail polish thing kinda confused me. Maybe he's effeminate. Whatever. I don'tknow. But he's straight to me. What do you guys think?

GS4 spoiler in reply to The Doctor:

Spoiler:
I think that several men in thes eries are likely to have manicures regularly. It's not unusual in corporate and business circles for men who have to shake hands a lot or whoise hands are on display a lot to have manicures and take care of their nails/hands generally.

In fact I bet most of them do apart from Phoenix as he's too poor! I have certainly mentioned Von Karma having manicured nails and also Edgeworth in the past. I imagine Klavier would too. I don't think it's related to sexuality! he probably just likes a French Manicure bless him!

The Father of Death

...Probably.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

The Doctor wrote:
I think Kirihito's straight. And not just because it would screw my pairing if he wasn't. He's just a bit....
Spoiler: GS4-4. Oh dear.
The nail polish thing kinda confused me. Maybe he's effeminate. Whatever. I don'tknow. But he's straight to me. What do you guys think?

I'm not sure anything Kristoph does is the game can really be evidence of one sexuality.

Spoiler: "Still not really a spoiler"
The nail polish is clear, by the way, so it's not like he's doing himself up with pretty colors XD;;. And being metrosexual doesn't mean he's not straight. But it doesn't mean he's straight, either.

To mousoka: I only brought up that line 'cause it's the only thing Klavier has to say on the sexuality issue that doesn't have to do with him teasing girls. He just spends so much more time flirting with women and not flirting with guys that the only indication he might be anything but straight is the fact that he's a rockstar.

Not that I'm against Klavier being bi, I'm just not sure the game supports it as much as it does, say, Edgeworth. :edgy: Though...GS4 has been featured in B's Log a lot...... :hotti:
ImageImage

俺の黄金の魔女

Croik wrote:
To mousoka: I only brought up that line 'cause it's the only thing Klavier has to say on the sexuality issue that doesn't have to do with him teasing girls. He just spends so much more time flirting with women and not flirting with guys that the only indication he might be anything but straight is the fact that he's a rockstar.

Well, let's actually break this down. (It's not because he's a "rock star" it's just...how I read him. If he was a librarian that acted the same way, I'd peg him as bi too)

Klavier only really "interacts" with four people, aside from his brother and witnesses.

- Apollo, who he certainly does tease in what seemed to me, at times, a flirty manner.
- Trucy, who he lays the charm on thick with, but she's also a fan and I'm not sure I'd call how he acts towards her "flirting".
- Ema, with whom he has pretty standard "sexual tension" at times, but also no real "flirting".
- Daian, who he was pissed off with at the time we saw them together onscreen, but was obviously very close to.

Of the four, I remember getting a couple of vibes from his interactions with Apollo, a few more with Daian, and then even more with Ema. I think the game is obviously heading in the Ema direction, which is fine with me even thought I'm "meh" on that couple. It's not that I have a vested interest in hooking him up with guys--it's not like there are a lot of options in the game so far that appeal to me--just that he really came across, to me, as someone that wouldn't mind having romantic entanglements with either gender. I have no doubt it's mostly women, but hey...

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Hm, well Klavier is certainly a teaser, but I never thought that his teasing Apollo was especially "flirty". Er...maybe a little flirty, but not more flirty than he normally is to everyone (who isn't Kristoph or Daian, for the obvious reasons). I'm sure he'd give the manner some thought if a guy came on to him, but I'm not sure I can see him seeking other guys out.

In any case, I'm really interested to see what kind of role Klavier will have in GS5, and if he and Apollo will have more chances to interact. There's still a lot about him we don't know.
ImageImage

Oh, Mr. Moffat, you card you.

Ahem....Sex isn't everything.
THERE, I SAID IT!! ARRRGH!!!! *Trampled by mad fangirls & fanboys*

Honestly, I just don't care what the video-game character's preference is. Give them the benefit of the doubt, make them be whatever you want if it isn't said by the game maker, whatever works for ya! With the exception of Armstrong, I am pretty sure everyone is relatively straight, just not as easy to read at time than others.

I blame overly-imaginative fans for the ideas that some of the characters are Homo/Bi/etc.sexual. If fans never thought it up, it would never have become such a big question as it is now.

Story writer and music lover.

Insho wrote:
Sex isn't everything.

Even so, it's too damn fun. :hotti:

But anyway, staying on topic. It really doesn't matter in the end who's attracted to who. That's up to the writers and the creators.
--Millini (Official CR Rock Prince and Gavinism convert.)

Oh, Mr. Moffat, you card you.

Millini wrote:
It really doesn't matter in the end who's attracted to who. That's up to the writers and the creators.

Not anymore, anyways. Nowadays, the PW cast are whatever the next guy or girl who plays wants them to be. I still feel, like you said, it's up to the writers, and knowing them, any suspicions of deviant affiliation were not their doing. I still think it has been imagined by the players.

:O

I'd find it pretty damn hilarious if in GS5 Klavier admits to being bi.

Even better if he openly hits on Apollo. >>

Insho wrote:
Not anymore, anyways. Nowadays, the PW cast are whatever the next guy or girl who plays wants them to be.

Er - yeah. How is that a bad thing? That's what paintings and books and movies and TV are for. We all fill in the blanks and we enjoy them because it helps to shed light on our own lives. Filling in the blanks is part of the experience and what enhances it for the audience.

As long as people respect other opinions according to how personal experience plays into the interpretation then it's all good.

俺の黄金の魔女

Croik wrote:
Hm, well Klavier is certainly a teaser, but I never thought that his teasing Apollo was especially "flirty". Er...maybe a little flirty, but not more flirty than he normally is to everyone (who isn't Kristoph or Daian, for the obvious reasons).

Now you're just confusing me! So, if Klavier is relatively flirty and teasy with everyone...wouldn't that sort of imply what I've been saying is true? The only person he really singles out for special charming treatment is Trucy, and that's her as a fan. (Or so I'd like to think--hitting on a little girl nine years his junior is slightly bleeegh) Otherwise his "teasy-flirty" personality doesn't really have gender barriers.

Croik wrote:
I'm sure he'd give the manner some thought if a guy came on to him, but I'm not sure I can see him seeking other guys out.

Spoiler: GS4, tldr
Well, we already know what happens when he thinks a guy is interested in him. He grins and teases (flirts? :p ) with him about it.

It's sort of the same reason I peg Phoenix as straight. When the idea of m/m with certain characters, like Gumshoe, has been actually brought up to his face, he's all "ewwww gross". That makes it hard for me to swallow that he likes guys in general. But when you think a guy is staring at you because he thinks you're hot/famous/he likes you, and you can grin and joke about it, that says to me, personally, that you're probably pretty open to that idea of guys in general liking you, which isn't a far hop from if a cute guy likes you, why not go with the flow?

As it is in AA:AJ, I think Klavier is currently many, many times more interested in that cute tsundere detective than he is the defense attorney with the weird voice. But if he wasn't interested in Ema, and he saw a guy that happened to tickle his fancy, I can't see him going "oh no, wait, that's a guy". I mean, the guy's in show business--surely he's had to run into this situation at least once before Apollo oggles him for looking exactly like his older bro.

Anyway I guess Mitsu is not attracted to anyone, be it male or female.... because he's not over with the lift tragedy.....
:keylady: Hmmmm... whatever, it is time to fly return~ :edgy:

(7o_o)7 Sprite Arts Game char Deja-vus? Chores AA char in 3D! Ryu CR!

People should live freely without constraints.
That's how life should be! -
Richard Wellington

nuuuuu, stoooooop

musouka wrote:
Croik wrote:
Now you're just confusing me! So, if Klavier is relatively flirty and teasy with everyone...wouldn't that sort of imply what I've been saying is true? The only person he really singles out for special charming treatment is Trucy, and that's her as a fan. (Or so I'd like to think--hitting on a little girl nine years his junior is slightly bleeegh) Otherwise his "teasy-flirty" personality doesn't really have gender barriers.

I guess I see it more as a personality quirk than an expression of his sexuality. As a rockstar he's probably used to a whole lot of things (The Gavinners are all male, after all. I wonder if Klavier's found slash fic about himself.... :hotti: ). There's barely anything in the game that throws him off his stride, let alone the idea of a male fan. That's why I can't really judge one semi-flirting comment in Apollo's direction as any indication of actual sexual preference, especially when he lays it on thicker with women. It's just how he is.

And Insho - this thread is for people to speculate about what they think the character's sexualities are. If you're not interested in this activity, you don't have to be here. No one is forcing canon on anyone. Coming in here to tell us the thread is pointless makes you the off topic one, 'kay?
ImageImage

俺の黄金の魔女

Croik wrote:
especially when he lays it on thicker with women.

Howso? Again, the only one I remember him really laying it on thick with was Trucy. He didn't really flirt with Ema at all, or any of the witnesses that I can recall... It's been a while since I've played, though, maybe I just missed or misread?

I'm not trying to be difficult, it's just interesting that our mental images seem to be so different.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Yeah, with Trucy, mostly. Whenever Apollo and Trucy are together with Klavier, he definately pays her more attention than Apollo. I don't think he's honestly attracted to her--she's a cute young fan who responds to him being playful, that's for sure. I'm perfectly happy writing all that off as part of his showmanship.

The only other thing I can think of he did tease Ema somewhat in 4-3, when she was on the stand.

Spoiler:
Their exchange over getting her to sing his music seemed kinda flirty to me. And the recent official art/Odoroki Gyakuten offerings support it, even if those are only...kinda half canon.

But with Apollo, he delivers one "Haha, not used to guys checking me out!" line and then promptly ignores Apollo in favor of Trucy for the rest of that scene. It lends much better to "Klavier likes teasing people" than "Klavier swings both ways." At least, that's how I see it.
ImageImage

Thick and Professional

{CI}Jackie Estacado wrote:
I propose the following: the character's sexuality is at the whim of the author. That way, we won't need to argue about "OH HE'S GAY!" "NO, HE'S STRAIGHT!" "NO, HE'S ATTRACTED TO HIS CAT!", people who think Larry and Edgeworth are gay and Adrian is straight can go their merry ways, and Pearl/Trucy will make that much more sense.

I concur entirely. Sexuality is avoided almost completely in the series, and probably for a good reason (or at least to good ends). It's a lot more interesting to guess and postulate than it is to have it be entirely clear on every facet of each character.

EDIT> On second thought, maybe it's not completely avoided, but I'd say it's not the main motivation in the actions of most characters. There's a much wider spectrum of emotions rather than just love and lust, all of which have a tremendous amount of power over people. For example, I'd say that most of Edgeworth's behaviors and attitudes are dictated mainly by the death of his father, his upbringing under Von Karma, his love for law and professionalism, and so on, rather than every single miniscule line of dialogue being a hint at his undying man-love for Phoenix. I'd also say that Adrian's dependency is probably more related to her low self-esteem rather than a sexual need. But that's just me. :javado:

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Whodi wrote:
I concur entirely. Sexuality is avoided almost completely in the series, and probably for a good reason (or at least to good ends). It's a lot more interesting to guess and postulate than it is to have it be entirely clear on every facet of each character... On second thought, maybe it's not completely avoided, but I'd say it's not the main motivation in the actions of most characters.

Can't....not.....reply....!!

Not the main motivations of *some* characters. But romance and sexuality play many roles in the series, and if you think otherwise, you must only be think of "sexualities that aren't straight."

1-1: Larry's jealousy over his girlfriend seeing other women was the motive the prosecution gave in his case.
1-2: April flirts openly and uses her body to her advantage.
1-5: Angel talks often about her many many boyfriends (not her main motivation, but certainly played up)
2-3: Everyone fighting for Regina's affection caused the accident that was the focus of the entire case.
2-4: The romantic interplay between Matt, Celeste, and Juan was the cause of that case, too.
3-1: Being in love with Dollie turned Phoenix into an idiot.
3-2: Ron's love for his wife provided the basis for the case.
3-3: Gumshoe's attraction to Maggey, and Viola to Tigre, was the bases for THAT case. Plus, Armstrong is openly very gay.
3-4: Terry's love for Dahlia was the basis for HIS case, and was saturated with Diego hitting on Mia.
3-5: Blah spoilers etc, if you played the case you know exactly how much of a role romance played.

And there's some in GS4, too, but I won't talk about that here. But seduction, love, and jealousy are big factors in those cases, too.

So really, sexuality is at the center of many of AA's biggest cases. I think it's a very worth topic for discussion.
ImageImage

Thick and Professional

Yeah, that's why I edited my post after thinking about April May flirting with everyone, the love triangle of 2-3, and the three couples in T&T being such a large part of the game. I was wrong about that. What I'm really objecting to is when a sexual impetus is put upon every character trait like Edgeworth's aloofness and Adrian's dependency. They're definitely subjects that are appetizing for speculation, so I'm certainly not saying it shouldn't be discussed, but it seems more realistic to me to recognize that sometimes romantic motives play no role in many (if not most) of the most intriguing situations in the series. But I really do think that the authors left blanks intentionally so we can have fun speculating like this, so statements like "We know for a fact that Edgeworth isn't straight" seem to go a bit far.

Now I wonder... what is Richard Wellington's sexuality then?
:keylady: Hmmmm... whatever, it is time to fly return~ :edgy:

(7o_o)7 Sprite Arts Game char Deja-vus? Chores AA char in 3D! Ryu CR!

People should live freely without constraints.
That's how life should be! -
Richard Wellington

Story writer and music lover.

Naruhodou wrote:
Now I wonder... what is Richard Wellington's sexuality then?

Well, we know Richie just LOVES big bananas, and that provides us with a good start. :wellington:
--Millini (Official CR Rock Prince and Gavinism convert.)
Page 4 of 12 [ 446 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby