Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 33 posts ]

Was Kay underused?Topic%20Title

After all Kay was advertised heavily for this game as the brand spannking new female lead. Edgy's Maya so to speak. Yet Kay ended up being extremely underused compared to Gumshoe and Fransizka.

Gumshoe I get, but Fransizka? I really liked Kay and it's a shame that it seemed like she got cheated on her screen time. Even when she was part of the case.

Or am I just overthinking it?
Re: Was Kay underused?Topic%20Title

Just another day.

Tomoshibi Amatsu wrote:
After all Kay was advertised heavily for this game as the brand spannking new female lead. Edgy's Maya so to speak. Yet Kay ended up being extremely underused compared to Gumshoe and Fransizka.

Gumshoe I get, but Fransizka? I really liked Kay and it's a shame that it seemed like she got cheated on her screen time. Even when she was part of the case.

Or am I just overthinking it?

well in a sense your right...every character that has been a main character in the series thus far has been introduced in the 1st or 2nd case but shes the first really to be introduced in case 3 but cheated...ehh...many characters only get a one case screen time at that are only talked to a few times plus maybe a cameo or two later while the main lead usually following gets plenty of dialog for each case at that so I feel kay wasn't underused at all. :P

(Sp)ace Detective

AAI had too many characters to develop in too short a game. GS 1-4 each had three or so main characters in 4-5 cases per game, AAI had five main characters in five cases. Since Edgeworth being the protagonist pretty much necessitated that Franziska and Gumshoe also be main characters (really; wouldn't you find it especially jarring if, say, Maya upped and disappeared from one of the Phoenix arc games? I certainly noticed it during the 4-4 flashback case), that left Kay and Lang to squabble over what precious little screentime was left, and, well, she got the short end of the stick.

The only real solution here, barring an appearance in GS5 (and after what they did to Hobohodo, I'm not sure I trust them to handle a Phoenix-era character properly) is for Capcom to come up with GK2 (and as a serious game, not just fanservice).
Screw you Apollo, Kay is hot and you're not, so your belated character development can wait just a bit longer as far as I'm concerned!
Read my fic(s)!
Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:
We have no dreams at all or interesting ones. We should learn to be awake the same way — not at all or in an interesting manner.

I wanna study YOUR beauty

KingRaptor wrote:
The only real solution here, barring an appearance in GS5 (and after what they did to Hobohodo, I'm not sure I trust them to handle a Phoenix-era character properly) is for Capcom to come up with GK2 (and as a serious game, not just fanservice).
Screw you Apollo, Kay is hot and you're not, so your belated character development can wait just a bit longer as far as I'm concerned!

I would fully support this. Actually, GK begs for a sequel and I think it was set up that way on purpose. Capcom needs to get explaining on what happened to Edgeworth in GS4, stat.

Power of Flower

I wish Kay had more of a presence, but I think she had enough considering what was already said about Lang needing development and Gumshoe and Franziska being necessary.

GK2 would be gdlk.

machinimator

It seemed to be the flashback case that mucked up so much; that way Kay was only a partner for one case, Shi-Long only appeared in two cases, and unless she were on a plane or interested in politics, Ema would be, as she is now, stuck in only one case. (I'm pretty sure we can all agree her screentime should have either been none, or much more)

Problem with Francizka is that I'm not part of the group that likes her personality. She's an antagonist in the 2nd game for a reason, and she's nowhere near as likable as the others. Plus she brings out the boring "perfect prosecutor, logical thinking" talk in Edgeworth.
I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

Mipeltaja = the real badass

Location: That one place. No, not that place, the other place.

Katana wrote:
Problem with Francizka is that I'm not part of the group that likes her personality. She's an antagonist in the 2nd game for a reason, and she's nowhere near as likable as the others. Plus she brings out the boring "perfect prosecutor, logical thinking" talk in Edgeworth.

Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis? Franziska giving Edgeworth shit for liking the Steel Samurai had some of the best moments in the game.
Billie Jean is not my lover.

machinimator

But...but Franziska rags on EVERYone for having imperfect qualities! And it's imperfection that makes us human...
I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

Franziska is actually the best character in the game, and the quality of cases can be measured by how much Franziska there is. SCIENTIFIC FACT

Case 4 - best case; most Franziska.
Cases 2 & 5 - great cases; moderate amount of Franziska
Case 1 - decent case; no Franziska
Case 3 - annoying case; no Franziska

Idol of Polar Bears

The developers did the best they could with so many characters and they actually introduced and identified each of them to the players very well. I'd argue that Kay's Little Thief - not Kay herself - was underused, although I suppose more usage would beget a more in-depth explanation of how it functions and I doubt the developers need more than "lol science" to do that.

Resident Bookworm

.Storm Parakaitz wrote:
KingRaptor wrote:

I would fully support this. Actually, GK begs for a sequel and I think it was set up that way on purpose. Capcom needs to get explaining on what happened to Edgeworth in GS4, stat.

Not like it's really necessary. AJ had no reason to touch up on what Edgeworth's up to and even if it did, he'd probably be off doing more work or in Europe.

Anyway, Kay. Definitely wished they had done more with her but the set ups also gypped her a little. She couldn't really appear in case 1 because it would kill the question of 'who is Yatagarsu'? straight off the bat. Case 2, she didn't really have any business being there and if she'd been shoehorned in I don't think the case would have worked as well. Got lots of screen time in case 3 and it made sense. Case 4 wasn't bad but it left Kay with only two present day case appearances and in case five she definitely got the shaft, aside from the brief use of Little Thief. They could have had her do an actual thievey for evidence or eavesdropping or something in case 5 but then she'd probably get arrested+illegal evidence.

Honestly, I think what they really needed was another case if they wanted to give Kay a bit more attention but because of the way the plot was set up it probably would've made things clunky.

Robin Goodfellow wrote:
he'd probably be off doing more work or in Europe.

Not in my mind.
Spoiler:
Edgeworth used a little bit of illegal evidence in AAI. Add to this, the whole fact that at the end Kay wanted a detective and prosecutor to be like BFF to her and all that cool stuff. One thing leads to another, and bam, a second Yatagarasu is made. Then guess what? EDGEWORTH LOSES HIS BADGE for being truthy. Which is why him nor Gumshoe show up in GS4 [flashback case is like a month after AAI so it's perfectly reasonable that Gumshoe was there].

Of course this is my own strange mind at work, so feel free to rip it apart. I'll prolly write a fanfic on it or something.

Resident Bookworm

.Storm Parakaitz wrote:
Robin Goodfellow wrote:

Not in my mind.
Spoiler:
Edgeworth used a little bit of illegal evidence in AAI. Add to this, the whole fact that at the end Kay wanted a detective and prosecutor to be like BFF to her and all that cool stuff. One thing leads to another, and bam, a second Yatagarasu is made. Then guess what? EDGEWORTH LOSES HIS BADGE for being truthy. Which is why him nor Gumshoe show up in GS4 [flashback case is like a month after AAI so it's perfectly reasonable that Gumshoe was there].

Of course this is my own strange mind at work, so feel free to rip it apart. I'll prolly write a fanfic on it or something.

Heh, okay then...

Spoiler:
-The bit of illegal evidence I don't think would be as big an issue unless it were proven illegal or if he presented it in his case against Alba. Since we don't see the trial we can't tell.
-Kay wanted to make a second Yatagaru but like she tells Edgeworth over and over again she hasn't stolen anything as of meeting with them. Whether Edgeworth and Gumshoe were friendly with her or not is irrelevant unless they start doing what Yatagarsu did in concealing/destroying evidence, assisting in theft, etc. Plus, considering Kay wanted two girls, I doubt Gumshoe and Edgeworth will be brought down in that at least.
-While it's possible that Edgeworth could lose his badge due to being truthy I just doubt it. I think the Occam's Razor argument makes more sense. Like I said, there wasn't a need to show what happened to Gumshoe and Edgeworth in AJ so it's more likely their off doing their own thing. After all, it's not like they don't have lives outside Phoenix, as shown with AAI. Plus, Edgeworth losing his badge too would be a bit redundant.

.Storm Parakaitz wrote:
Robin Goodfellow wrote:

Not in my mind.
Spoiler:

Spoiler: Case 5
He didn't use said illegal evidence in court. After Alba was arrested, it's possible they were able to investigate more and build a strong enough case without having to resort to the illegal evidence.

Icarus wrote:
.Storm Parakaitz wrote:
Robin Goodfellow wrote:

Not in my mind.
Spoiler:

Spoiler: Case 5
He didn't use said illegal evidence in court. After Alba was arrested, it's possible they were able to investigate more and build a strong enough case without having to resort to the illegal evidence.

Grr I know that, but one thing can lead to another. Maybe I should have clarified in my post but I was in just such a "I'M STOOPIT" mood to do so.

Robin Goodfellow wrote:
.Storm Parakaitz wrote:
Robin Goodfellow wrote:

Not in my mind.
Spoiler:

Heh, okay then...

Spoiler:
-The bit of illegal evidence I don't think would be as big an issue unless it were proven illegal or if he presented it in his case against Alba. Since we don't see the trial we can't tell.
-Kay wanted to make a second Yatagaru but like she tells Edgeworth over and over again she hasn't stolen anything as of meeting with them. Whether Edgeworth and Gumshoe were friendly with her or not is irrelevant unless they start doing what Yatagarsu did in concealing/destroying evidence, assisting in theft, etc. Plus, considering Kay wanted two girls, I doubt Gumshoe and Edgeworth will be brought down in that at least.
-While it's possible that Edgeworth could lose his badge due to being truthy I just doubt it. I think the Occam's Razor argument makes more sense. Like I said, there wasn't a need to show what happened to Gumshoe and Edgeworth in AJ so it's more likely their off doing their own thing. After all, it's not like they don't have lives outside Phoenix, as shown with AAI. Plus, Edgeworth losing his badge too would be a bit redundant.

Spoiler:
-See above.
-See above, and the part about the girls, I personally thought she was kinda being silly there.
-Eh. I wondered why no one else saw it, but I guess my ideas are just stupid. I dunno, when I heard Badd say that both of those pieces of evidence were illegal, my mind immediately clicked and I said "OMG DOES EDGEWORTH LOSE HIS BADGE? THIS MUST BE WHY HE ISN'T IN GS4" before the case was even over. So my mind kinda stuck to that thought I guess. And uhh how is Edgeworth losing his badge redundant? Because Phoenix did? I think that would be a rather neat turn of events, actually.

Or just Mipe for short

I liked that Kay was a part of the story and only used when she had an active role to play. A big part of my problem with the way Maya was handled was that a lot of the time I felt she had nothing to contribute to the overall plot. By switching the sidekicks around as the situation demanded, they avoided making any one sidekick feel useless. Even if the amount of screentime Franziska ended up getting did feel odd (but I like her so I'm not gonna complain).

At least, that's how I feel.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

This is a Kay thread, not a GS4 or 5 thread. Let's cut it out with the Edgeworth speculation please.
ImageImage

(Sp)ace Detective

Where should Kay go from here, so as to merit more screentime in GK2?

Spoiler: Crazy (and I mean crazy) rambling; AAI whole game spoilers as well
Kay's character
Me, I want Kay to become the series's official Action Girl. It'd suit her well - she's already an athletic thief (with ninja inclinations), is naturally energetic, and even has the whole punching sprite thing. Definitely would set her apart from all the other assistants (including Franziska and Gumshoe).
Crazy story idea: After the hostage situation fiasco with Shih-na at the embassy, Kay decides she doesn't want to make Mr. Edgeworth and Gummy panic like that ever again, so she goes to Uncle Badd, who teaches her how to tie men twice her size into pretzels. This pays off at the climax of GK2's last case, where the final boss is holding Edgeworth and Gumshoe at gunpoint. Kay saves them, but not with that lame "calling out to Edgey at the crucial prompting him to dodge the bullet" deus ex machina-ey thing in AAI-4. No, she rushes the villain with a knife (or even unarmed) and takes him/her down good (not fatally, of course). That would be awesome beyond words.

Little Thief
So much unused potential in this thing. Since it was made to assist Byrne Faraday in his thefts, it would plausibly have all kinds of features that would also work well for spicing up either the gameplay story of the investigation phase:

Security system hacking tool - Hacking mini-game
Electromagnetic source detector - Something like in 2-4 where Phoenix is using Gumshoe's gadget to look for stuff and ends up finding the camera in the bear's eye
Mini video camera (fit into a small gap, like under a door, to see what's on the other side) - Probably just another 2D examine scene, but it could still be handy as a plot device.
Motion detector - Can't come up with a scenario where this would be useful, but hey.
Sound amplifier - Eavesdropping (plot) device

Obviously not all these ideas would fit into the plot, and I don't want Kay becoming solely dependent on Little Thief to be part of the story, but having a few new investigation features would be a nice change.

Read my fic(s)!
We have no dreams at all or interesting ones. We should learn to be awake the same way — not at all or in an interesting manner.

Warrior of Justice

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
The developers did the best they could with so many characters and they actually introduced and identified each of them to the players very well. I'd argue that Kay's Little Thief - not Kay herself - was underused, although I suppose more usage would beget a more in-depth explanation of how it functions and I doubt the developers need more than "lol science" to do that.

Yeah, my problem wasn't really with Kay, but with how much Little Thief was built up as a intergral part of the game. Then it gets used 2 times.

*sigh* :edgeworth:

*rat-ta-ta-ta* Sorry Mr Nick...

Solaris Knight wrote:
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

Yeah, my problem wasn't really with Kay, but with how much Little Thief was built up as a intergral part of the game. Then it gets used 2 times.

*sigh* :edgeworth:

I think that's okay. Edgeworth dosen't need to walk around and investigate if Kay uses her Little Thief very often. i'd like to visit the crime scene by myself(Edgey) ,rather than running around in a virtual world. To me,too much Little Thief would be Boring. ^^"

Me likey bouncy!

I don't think she was underused. If she was overused too much, I felt Kay might have started being more of a canon sue than she actually was. Got a good sense for her and other characters as well. Background and personality wise.
Image Image
ImageImage

Kay didn't feel underused, just underdeveloped.

Screentime-wise, Franziska, Gumshoe and Kay all around the same - Franziska got case 4 and half of case 2 as well as a bit of case 5; Gumshoe case 1, half of case 2, bits of cases 4 and 5; Kay case 3 and most of case 5.

The central storyline revolved around her so she was extremely important plotwise. Maybe it's true that the plot kicked in a bit late - there were the smuggling ring hints, but we didn't actually meet any related characters until case 3 - but Kay had more than enough time to prove herself as a character. We also got to see her in the past so as to witness her character development IF THERE HAD BEEN ANY.

Regarding Little Thief, it became a lot less amazing once everyone realized it was only conjecture and stopped taking it seriously. I loved the Little Thief segments, but they just seemed a bit too suspension-of-disbeilefy for me and I don't think they should've used it more than they did.

Warrior of Justice

I know this is going to sound ranty, but I loved Apollo Justice for bringing something new to the table like the Percieve system and the Forensic minigames, they added variety to the Investigations

IN a game ABOUT investigations, the only novel idea was Logic.

Why did I have ham in my pocket...?

I thought the same thing when I finished case two and she had no shown up whatsoever. To be hones this whole "young girl sidekick" trope this series seems adamant to keep alive seems kind of pointless.

Its one of those things you only realize when you think of the series of games for a long moment. With 5 games behind them, I think they can start changing up the narrative structure. (I've complained before how the whole old case/current case synergism is getting old.)

Or just Mipe for short

Naruhodou wrote:
I thought the same thing when I finished case two and she had no shown up whatsoever. To be hones this whole "young girl sidekick" trope this series seems adamant to keep alive seems kind of pointless.

Yeah, it really wasn't at all necessary to introduce a new young girl sidekick, because although every game so far has had the teenage girl, I think most people would have been happy with just Gumshoe. Or Ema, if lacking a underage girl would somehow have made this game not sell (which I seriously doubt). I appreciate that they went through the trouble of writing Kay as a part of the story, and I don't have any real problem with her, but I can't really see how or why they apparently came to the conclusion that the game really, really needed that character.

Mipeltaja wrote:
Naruhodou wrote:

Yeah, it really wasn't at all necessary to introduce a new young girl sidekick, because although every game so far has had the teenage girl, I think most people would have been happy with just Gumshoe. Or Ema, if lacking a underage girl would somehow have made this game not sell (which I seriously doubt). I appreciate that they went through the trouble of writing Kay as a part of the story, and I don't have any real problem with her, but I can't really see how or why they apparently came to the conclusion that the game really, really needed that character.

Case 4 Franziska von Karma is the best underage girl sidekick bar none.

Gumlogic

Katana wrote:
But...but Franziska rags on EVERYone for having imperfect qualities! And it's imperfection that makes us human...

Umm... didn't you see who her father was :edgeworth: ? that kind of thing is something she dosn't care about

Surf's Up!

I'd say she was underused - She doesn't appear until case 3, doesn't make an appearence in case 4 (at least, not in a partner role) and is barely used in case 5.

Yep, I'd say that she was definitely underused!

Mipeltaja wrote:
Naruhodou wrote:

I don't know. I think the young, bubbly female sidekick works well because she counterbalances the seriousness of the main character. Especially in this game, without the likes of Kay, we wouldn't have gotten some of those more playful interactions out of Edgeworth's normally straight-faced character. Gumshoe is just fine for comic relief once in a while, but I don't really think I could have stood having him around for every case (but maybe that's just me).

PL vs PW <33

Mipeltaja wrote:

But Kay is pretty central to the plot, with the whole
Spoiler: AAI-3-5
her father being part of the Yagatarasu, and finding out the truth behind her father's murder
so it wouldn't work if they just recycled an older character without retconning their history... But I agree that perhaps they didn't have to stick to the mold and make this new character Kay a "teenaged Genki girl". However, this character type does provide a good foil to Edgey's serious nature (much like how this Genki girl character type provides good foil for Nick's deadpan snarker/straight man nature, and I feel Apollo is a bit of a Phoenix clone, so they keep on using the Genki girl sidekick formula).

Was Kay underused? I don't really think so. A lot of the plot has to do with her history and reasons for being in the game, like
Spoiler: AAI-4
even though she only showed up in case 4 a few times, her father's murder becomes reason for her to be in case 3 and 5
I think she was used as much as necessary (wow that sounds a bit wrong). I like the switch of partners, to fit what makes sense to the situation at hand. For example,
Spoiler: AAI-5
it doesn't make sense for Kay to be allowed in Allebahst since even Edgey had to get special permission, so you investigate with Franzy because she has authority

But yes, she does feel a bit underdeveloped as a character, because the game itself is too short and there aren't enough situations that would fit her into the story. Her past is explored, but her personality feels a bit generic and bland, especially since she's a bit of a carbon copy of her predecessors due to her character type...

I personally like flashback cases, because it gives more insight into character history (plus it's fun to see characters when they're younger, to compare with where they are now). And because cases in the AA-verse are always related to some other old cases X years ago, it's fun to dig them up.
Phoenix: "You know my strategy. Speak first, think later!"
devART:.:My wallpapers:.:My comics/fanart:.:Sprite edits:.:Objection font

Master Attorney

She seemed to get enough air time maybe not as much as some would have liked but overall you get to know her better as the game progresses

Lord of Masters

I think she is,well she was in case 3/5 as your partner but in case 5 she wasn't that the hole time.
In case 4 she appeared but not as your partner.
I think she's a bit underused,yes :keylady:.
Welcome in my world!

(Sp)ace Detective

I'd say the problem was as much the lack of plot events/interaction scenes directly involving Kay (Trucy had the same issue) as it was pure screentime. Lang for instance wasn't onscreen all that often, but he had lots of little moments (the two scenes with his assembled men, as well as the Confrontation segments against Edgeworth), and a few awesome big ones (most of the Case 5 endgame, actually). Franziska and Gumshoe didn't really have any epic moments in AAI, but then this is their third and fourth game respectively.

The scenes where Kay had an active role in the story were comparatively few in number, and while some of them were fairly nice, none had quite the oomph of Lang's starring scenes, or stuff like Franziska's moments in 2-4 and Maya's in 1-4, 2-4 and 3-5. Nothing that was quite a crowning moment of either Awesome or Heartwarming. I think Capcom got a little too carried away with the genki escapism aspect and neglected to give her something that would really stand out from the sidekick formula they've been rehashing thus far.
Read my fic(s)!
Page 1 of 1 [ 33 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby