Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart

Page 9 of 13[ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Re: Crit thread- Need any help improving your art?Topic%20Title

I'm a Zebra, betch~

Okay, I'm looking for some constructive critisism on my art. I've been working on shading (like where to shade, how much, etc), but it still needs work. Here's a link to my latest piece:
Spoiler: DeviantART Link

Yes, that is Apollo. for some reason, I can't draw his hair completely slicked back, so I draw it like that. I think it's cute. The other character is my PW OC, Emily. She is taller than Apollo (cuz who isn't? Besides Trucy lol). Her eyes are blue because I couldn't get that nice effect with the eyes with brown. I need to practice that effect with other colors, like purple. XD

I'm not worried about the hair or eyes (because I love the way I did it). Also, the shading may look off because my laptop screen is always brighter than a normal computer (I don't put it into the darker "eco mode" unless I'm at school and I don't want my laptop to die). When I did it on my computer, it looked fine..

What I need help with is lineart and shading. I tend to have a very shaky hand, and if I use the streaking effect (just drawing over the sketch over and over until the line gets dark) it looks like crap. I also tend to press down on my tablet because I don't want the line to be all screwed up.

Any critiques will be welcomed! I know I need to work on things like proportion, so don't get after me on that LMAO.
I'm a Zebra, betch, and don't you forget it~

The Hoosiers :) Just too cool.

EmilyMarkham wrote:
Arkillian wrote:
Please don't be offended by this, but did you follow a tutorial? OR are you doing this by trial and error? Trial and error can give some interesting results, but if you REALLY want to learn shading, you really have to understand how to make an object 3D first, cause shading isn't just a matter of slapping in a shadow and a highlight. IT's understanding light intensity, saturations, luminosity, ambiance... a heap of things.

How I learn shading is by working in grey scale, that way you only have to learn light and dark- not hue and luminosity too. learn to make it 3D in grey scale, and you're a step closer. I suggest going off a photographic reference, and practicing the basics, like how to make a circle look like a ball and stuff. Till you get that, you're going to just be chasing your tail I believe. :( I hope that helps.

I agree. I actually learned a shading technique by working with a black and white picture (because Photoshop was being ghetto and wouldn't let me color it in color XDD) BUt that was a long time ago. Then I found a new shading technique by working on a picture for my 2000 pageviews on deviantART.

A good idea is this: learn how to adjust the body (clothes, hair, etc) so that there WILL be shadows. Then, choose a place to have a light source. Then shade where you think there should be shadows. Then worry about highlights. Of course, work with basics, like shading different shapes (balls, prisms, odd shapes) before trying it.

I should know. I fail at shading. XDDD I'm still learning, even after six years. My art has come a long way though, but it's not perfect lmao.

thanks alot for all this :maya: as you have seen i am trail and erorr(ing), :yuusaku: i just have no idea where i can get a totural... anyways i will try to shade a apple/ball/ round thing... (one on the pc and the other on paper) then you can see wich it beeter and how i fail :3
BEWARE I FAIL AT APPELS !!

also may i ask does anyone else have manga studios?
my sprites Image(click the pic for pandas graphics~)

hi sorry for double post ^^;; just here to show you my shading...hope there ok.... :payne:
Spoiler: appel=fail

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Waiting on Godot...

EmilyMarkham wrote:
A good idea is this: learn how to adjust the body (clothes, hair, etc) so that there WILL be shadows. Then, choose a place to have a light source. Then shade where you think there should be shadows. Then worry about highlights. Of course, work with basics, like shading different shapes (balls, prisms, odd shapes) before trying it.

I wouldn't jump immediately into this. If you don't know how to draw folds yet, I'd think it'd be best to practice on someone elses lineart. It sound like a cop out, but it's not. What you're doing is that you're speeding up the learning process by only practicing what you NEED to practice. What you MUST do, is not think of the final product. Infact, don't post it. You MUST put a full effort into the work you do do. You can't just take someone else's line art and fluff with it. Analyse where the lines are. Tell yourself where the light is coming from and seperate everything into simple planes. IT's a VERY difficult task to learn, which is why you learn to shade SIMPLE objects first. Cylindars, cubes... all of this is boring, but it helps. You learn how it looks on all angles. Don't just look at pictures, DRAW it. Experience what it's like to do it, cause it's always different in practice. Most importantly, don't go 'I'm a beginner so this is good enough'. This is study- the more effort you put in, the better it'll become. Try for shadow perfecting when you draw that apple. Analyse it's shape and form and how dark the shadow is.

I suggest turning it into black and white first before drawing it till you can spot shadows better. IT makes transferring the image easier cause you don't have to translate colour to grey scale.

Strong lighting has always been something I've liked in a picture, so my shadows can be heavy, but if it helps, this is how I progressed with art-
Spoiler: Arkillian's art improvement meme

You'll notice that I draw alot from reference, seeing how others did it. Even my 'original' art was heavily referenced. I didn't have the internet till I was over the difficult stage of my art, so it was the only way I could do it with no help from others to critique me. It's VERY possible to do it on your own, but pointers on the net make it SO much easier :) You still need the ground work though.

Golden Luxray wrote:
thanks alot for all this :maya: as you have seen i am trail and erorr(ing), :yuusaku: i just have no idea where i can get a totural... anyways i will try to shade a apple/ball/ round thing... (one on the pc and the other on paper) then you can see wich it beeter and how i fail :3
BEWARE I FAIL AT APPELS !!

Don't trial and error. Not till you know how to break the rules. Go find a picture of a globe on 3 different light settings atleast and draw them. Then draw 3 tubes on different light settings. THEN draw an apple on 3 different light settings. I promise you, lighting is FAR more complex that you realize this second. If you want to learn it correctly, you MUST use a reference at the beginning or you'll never learn to draw CORRECTLY. You can only go so far on talent alone.

Urgh... I'll see what I have at home, but honestly, if you go off a photograph or and object in your house or something, and practice drawing each of these object in 3 different lighting conditions, change the reference to black and white so you can SEE the shadows, and draw them, I think by then I can see if you've got it. Not from your first un referenced pic. Perhaps you get a polystyrene ball and use that or something? What ever you use, spend as much time as you need to get it as perfect as you can make it, and don't worry about people's opinions.

More crit to come when I have time T.T
ImageImageImageImage

is AAdicted

Edit: Before I edit this I posted a wrong reply between this and my thread *ultra facepalms*
So sorry if someone saw that ;A;

Can I have critique on these?
Oh, and just ignore the animal ears ^^;, it's fake anyway.
Spoiler: Puchi

Also, I tried realism for the first time and as arkillian suggested I drew something from a photograph of my favorite celebrity OTL and It turns out very strange D:
Spoiler: FAIL WATSON

It's John Watson from Sherlock Holmes (2009) >W>
And as I stalk this forum maybe it's better if I add the reference pic :
Spoiler:

(even though it have a different pose than the reference one?)
Also since I know nothing about realism it still looks a little bit manga like OTL

I feel odd for asking for 2 critiques at once.... Hope that it's alright ;w;

hmm i was looking around the web for cubes and there shading ect.. and i found this, you think these would be good to help me? (also thanks again for all advice)
Spoiler:

Waiting on Godot...

EmilyMarkham wrote:

I'm not worried about the hair or eyes (because I love the way I did it). Also, the shading may look off because my laptop screen is always brighter than a normal computer (I don't put it into the darker "eco mode" unless I'm at school and I don't want my laptop to die). When I did it on my computer, it looked fine..

What I need help with is lineart and shading. I tend to have a very shaky hand, and if I use the streaking effect (just drawing over the sketch over and over until the line gets dark) it looks like crap. I also tend to press down on my tablet because I don't want the line to be all screwed up.

Any critiques will be welcomed! I know I need to work on things like proportion, so don't get after me on that LMAO.

I think that the biggest thing I can suggest to you right now is to practice a naked human figure- not a clothed one. I know that sounds kinky or whatever, but I'm not asking you to do genitals. If you learn the naked human body- this is minus hair AND clothes, then you'll get your proportions spot on ALL the time, and you'll have an easier time dressing them. Unfortunately, you need to take art one step at a time. You can leap straight to final stuff without a reference. Let me repeat- drawing 100% off memory is actually a REALLY difficult thing to do for beginners. Don't force yourself to do it cause others can. Compare yourself to ONLY yourself and aim to get beter. That means you need to learn the ground up. You learn clothes after the form :) That's my advice.

kimchi-artist wrote:
Spoiler: Puchi

It's too stylised for me to comment much, but watch the chin- it's disappearing there. It looks nice hon, but I'd actually like to see you explore some new things. You have a pretty established style there- it'd be really cool to see some backgrounds from you :) Locations of some sorts. Something more final. I think you're ready to give it a go :)

kimchi-artist wrote:
Also, I tried realism for the first time and as arkillian suggested I drew something from a photograph of my favorite celebrity OTL and It turns out very strange D:
Spoiler: FAIL WATSON

It's John Watson from Sherlock Holmes (2009) >W>
And as I stalk this forum maybe it's better if I add the reference pic :
Spoiler:

(even though it have a different pose than the reference one?)
Also since I know nothing about realism it still looks a little bit manga like OTL

Well, the problem isn't so much that it's manga versus realism. Despite what everyone says, both art styles are based on real humans with similar proportions of eyes and ears etc... Eastern just does it differently to western. Doesn't mean you shouldn't learn Western rules for your art. For instance- Watson's eyes aren't level in the photo- one eye is lower than the other (our left), his nose doesn't curve outwards- it hooks down insteed, and the mouth is on the same angle as the eyes, so that needs to be tilted up as well cause it's not flat either. See the angle that the hat is sitting on? the eyes and mouth both need to be on that angle, or the hat will look tilted. Um, it's a sketch so don't panic over this too much, but he's got short hair so your strokes for his hair would be better shorter to give this impression, and in the same direction as his hair would normally go. Waston also has a strong chin- I've noticed alot of asians have that pretty boy weak chin- not Jude Law. He has a strong English chin :) All these proportions can be done in an easternish way... in fact...

Spoiler: Sherlock Holmes in Manga!

Yayoi Neko is one of my favourite yaoi artists. The above picture isn't yaoi, but she LOVES Sherlock Holmes, and did a yaoi doujin of them- this is one of the covers. It's based off the original Sherlock Holmes TV series actors, but you can see how the jaws are still very english, yet still eastern.

Still- it's a good start! Keep it up, and keep an eye out for things that you're not use to. Head angles and stuff :) ((I'm sure he'll forgive you ^^ It's a sweet picture))

Golden Luxray wrote:
hmm i was looking around the web for cubes and there shading ect.. and i found this, you think these would be good to help me? (also thanks again for all advice)
Spoiler:

That's the one :) Don't worry about the join shadows, but notice how dark the shadow is on one side and how white it is on the other? See how the white doesn't have an edge as such- it's edge is the background. Notice the drop shadow of the ball and what it does? Notice the ambient reflection from the white table cloth underneath it? These are all things to look out for in shading. give a few of them a go and see how close to the original you can get. Don't worry about the paint brush marks or the folds in the fabric though. Oh- and spot where the light comes from, and see if you can figure out if it's bright or dim :) I... think that's all for that... >.>
ImageImageImageImage

is AAdicted

*stares at the chin* AH!
It's a bad habit of mine ;w;
I'm currently still learning to make basic backgrounds, I'll maybe post it later if it's already quite decent....

*makes straight lines on the photo*
Oh yeah OTL I didn't notice the difference in eye level until you pointed it out ^^;
I guess I need to relearn the angles of face >< Will making lines on the photo first helps?
Ok, I'll be sure to remember that when I make the hair next time :D
I guess that's why I keep thinking something is wrong, the shape of the face is different ^^;

Is that doujin Holmes/Watson 0w0
It's a popular pairing in SH but I don't ship it (wait, this is off topic XD)

Thank You Arkillian It really helps me a lot :D
((really? THANKS A LOT))

Waiting on Godot...

Yeah, it is a doujin, but it's a yaoi one I quite like the story :) She went off an actual Sherlock Holmes story :D Her deviant art account is under Thundertori - http://thundertori.deviantart.com/ She's like... my favorite indy doujin artist <3

Spoiler:
http://fav.me/d253k35 <- Download for full sized version

Um... You don't need to rule the face as such. IT's easy enough to compare if one eye is higher than another by comparing it to object around it. When you know it's on a slope, you rule a light line then and draw on that :) Shouldn't ever be a need for grids. IT's like life drawing.
ImageImageImageImage

SMASHING DAY FOR A BARBEQUE.

I have been practising a lot, drawing many poses, practising with proportions, even doing a few online tutorials and thnen decided to do something, and have drawn a new thing and I would like criticism on it please.

The (lefts) Pose I got from a magazine I was reading, it's very simplistic so I chose to do it, the one on the right was from my mind.

Spoiler: big
You can crit the main one, (To the left) the one next to it was just a warm up drawing to get into the mood of drawing, so you can criticise if you wish it but i am not too bothered. If you are interested in how I drew the left one, then here it is:
I started with the head, then moved onto the basic frame of the body, shoulders, hest, waist and legs. I went through three leg lenghts before I was happy, and settled on the one you can see. Then, I went on to add arms, thinking carefully about the bellybutton-elbow rule and how long they should be, I was happy with the length. I then moved ointo hair and did a basic shape of hair, without the hat, then afterwards I added the curls and put the hat on so it seemed as if it resting over the hair, not on top of it. Then I did some basic 'shading', which wasn't really too serious but just to give it a bit of depth.

Right was no frame added or anything so thats why its much worse and huge eyes for my own amusment.

The Character is my (Probably Mary Sue) OC, Eclair Tasume.

I'm quite proud of this one so yeah be as harsh as you wish

Romeo wrote:
I have been practising a lot, drawing many poses, practising with proportions, even doing a few online tutorials and thnen decided to do something, and have drawn a new thing and I would like criticism on it please.

The (lefts) Pose I got from a magazine I was reading, it's very simplistic so I chose to do it, the one on the right was from my mind.

Spoiler: big
You can crit the main one, (To the left) the one next to it was just a warm up drawing to get into the mood of drawing, so you can criticise if you wish it but i am not too bothered. If you are interested in how I drew the left one, then here it is:
I started with the head, then moved onto the basic frame of the body, shoulders, hest, waist and legs. I went through three leg lenghts before I was happy, and settled on the one you can see. Then, I went on to add arms, thinking carefully about the bellybutton-elbow rule and how long they should be, I was happy with the length. I then moved ointo hair and did a basic shape of hair, without the hat, then afterwards I added the curls and put the hat on so it seemed as if it resting over the hair, not on top of it. Then I did some basic 'shading', which wasn't really too serious but just to give it a bit of depth.

Right was no frame added or anything so thats why its much worse and huge eyes for my own amusment.

all i can say is its very good but her boobs are just anoying me somehow...i just can't put my finger on it...but good work.!
but the hands :gant-clap2: well done my friend!

Ah, thank you! The hands failed many MANY times. I'm happy with one but the other looks smaller than the next but in the end it was ruining the paper rubbing out so often.

I can't see the problem you are talking about though, with the boobs, I am sure there is one, (Why would you lie?) but I wish you knew what it was so you could crit it.

Not a zombie

Romeo wrote:
Ah, thank you! The hands failed many MANY times. I'm happy with one but the other looks smaller than the next but in the end it was ruining the paper rubbing out so often.

I can't see the problem you are talking about though, with the boobs, I am sure there is one, (Why would you lie?) but I wish you knew what it was so you could crit it.

I might be able to help you with this...first time critiquing...I'll do my best!
I think the boobs are emphasized too much. Since they are covered by clothing, I think one wouldn't be able to see the cleavage line in the clothing...

Hope this helps!
ImageImageImage

alynnyang wrote:
Romeo wrote:

I might be able to help you with this...first time critiquing...I'll do my best!
I think the boobs are emphasized too much. Since they are covered by clothing, I think one wouldn't be able to see the cleavage line in the clothing...

Hope this helps!

Ah, thank you, he he he, I will make sure to do something about that next time, although It was kinda meant to be like that, maybe I made it too emphasized for the effect of a tight fit that I was going for...anyway both of ya thankee for the crits, I will apply this to my work next time.

Waiting on Godot...

Romeo wrote:
Spoiler: Stuff I'm critting on- Long message

OK- Apparently my tablet pen is missing so I had to red line crit with an actual red PEN O.O NYYYYOOOOUUUGUGGGGHHHHH!! It's ok :)

Spoiler: Red line crit

Well, I have a few things I had to red line it to make it make sense to me, and to others when I explain it.

• First thing- It's like... a 1:5 or 1:6 proportion. Just so you know, that's alot closer to a chibi proportion than full human sizes. There's nothing wrong with that, but I thought I'd point it out.
  • Starting at her head, as you see, it's egg shaped. Seems to be a shape alot of Eastern style art has, but the head actually has flats either side of the head from the cheek bones up. Even Eastern styles should reflect this.
  • The nose and mouth were slightly out so I moved them
  • I don't know how her hair falls cause none of her longer hair covered the sides of her head so I'll assume you can see ears in this pic. Don't forget the taringa!
  • Blush goes on the cheeks, and they're just under the eyes and on the otter edges. FYI :)
  • You had her neck going straight into the muscles between her neck and shoulder. I'm not sure what you were referencing, but this isn't a strong muscle in women (That's why we have weak shoulders). The neck goes almost straight down in a forward facing model and tapers out at the bottom. As it gets closer to profile, it struts forward. On this angle though...
  • The collar bone starts at the beginning of the shoulders, and is a flt line from one shoulder to the other. If the shoulders are raised, then the bone tilts up. The middle stays the same though. The neck muscles connect to this piont and the previous muscle I commented about.
  • Breasts- OK, her breasts ARE big, but they're mostly big cause you overlapped them. Please- don't overlap breasts on a front on. Even if they're big. It doesn't make them look bigger. Always side by side. If anything, give them a gap in the middle of them cause there is a smal finger width gap in between breast on ALL women, including d cuppers. It's where our underwires go in bras >.> Without them we'd sag in the middle XD Um.. if boobs are squished together, they'll only press together. They can't overlap. You training sketch is actually more accurate for a 3/4 view of them, except for my next point. And that one is the biggie.
  • Ribcage. Please. Not a big one like men have, but a small one so that we have room for necessary organs. women don't go from boobs to waist- ok? Both of your pictures there are missing one. There is ALOT of forgiving if you make a woman look healthy even if her breasts are back destroying. (Breasts are deceiving though. I suggest drawing your women without breasts first and adding them after you lay it all out so that you know what's under it. IT's good to practise so you can draw smaller breasted women too)
  • Arms. As a rule of thumb, elbows are at the same level as the belly button, and the hands go to half way down the thigh.
  • I have a preference here to seeing feet cause tripping over a dress isn't cool and toes can be cute too :)

All in all- not bad. Keep trying! Trust me, it's looking difficult now, but the more you do it, the easier it'll become. Watch out for the stuff I've labelled and you should be fine. Specially the ribcages. Generally, you can deform a body as much as you want, but if the figure looks un healthy, it'll be picked up on IMMEDIATELY. That's why Golden Luxray couldn't tell you why the boobs were wrong. Cause she didn't have a big enough ribcage.

Hope that all helped!
ImageImageImageImage

Thank you for the criticism, I agree with all the things you said. I'm glad you are there to point out my mistakes as I can't see them otherwise.
It was meant to be slightly chibi, I FORGOT THE EARS, generally yeah a lot of what you said was correct. I'll put it into practise next time.

HI i know i shouldn't really be drawing people and just be shading ^^;; buuuttt i couldnt help myself :D so i drew a pic and i would crit :3
ive been working on it for a while (on paper) and i coloured it on the pc BUT THERES NO SHADING YET!!
Spoiler: its a bit big so theres a link to it too

sorry for double post
oh also i did gummy a littel while ago and i forgot to post it so here you are
Spoiler: BIG

Not a zombie

Golden Luxray wrote:
HI i know i shouldn't really be drawing people and just be shading ^^;; buuuttt i couldnt help myself :D so i drew a pic and i would crit :3
ive been working on it for a while (on paper) and i coloured it on the pc BUT THERES NO SHADING YET!!

I think one thing you could fix is the fact that the mouth shouldn't be that far right.

Also If anyone could critique me on my anatomy. My scanner made the lines lighter, so I darkened them. Both images are included.
Spoiler:

I resized it so the bigger image is Here
ImageImageImage

alynnyang wrote:
Golden Luxray wrote:

I think one thing you could fix is the fact that the mouth shouldn't be that far right.

Also If anyone could critique me on my anatomy. My scanner made the lines lighter, so I darkened them. Both images are included.
Spoiler:

thankies i will get her mouth straighish...anyways i like your art the only thing is the feet imo they are a bit small, but good work

Golden Luxray wrote:

Golden Luxray wrote:
sorry for double post

You can edit your last post...
Adrian for me, I think that her knees go in a biit too far, and her body underneath the chest area seems to lean towards the left-although that could be intentional.
That and her fringe needs to be moved down slightly, just slightly, as we can see almost the top of her head there! :o
other than that, i think is very nice picture.

Romeo wrote:
Golden Luxray wrote:

Golden Luxray wrote:
sorry for double post

You can edit your last post...
Adrian for me, I think that her knees go in a biit too far, and her body underneath the chest area seems to lean towards the left-although that could be intentional.
That and her fringe needs to be moved down slightly, just slightly, as we can see almost the top of her head there! :o
other than that, i think is very nice picture.

yh i know you can edit your post but i forgot then posted gummy and remember...ehehehe...><
anyways thx i will get straight on it ;)

TAkE YouR hEaRT

Hello fellow artists~ I need your help with my little drawing. It isn't colored yet (and I think I'll never color it anyway) nor did I shade it. Anyway, here it is:
Spoiler:
The blanket is bugging me. It doesn't look kind of right... I think I screwed up the dimension or whatever the hell it's called the perspective. The head doesn't look right either...

So yeah, any suggestions and such? (:

Nemesis wrote:
Hello fellow artists~ I need your help with my little drawing. It isn't colored yet (and I think I'll never color it anyway) nor did I shade it. Anyway, here it is:
Spoiler:
The blanket is bugging me. It doesn't look kind of right... I think I screwed up the dimension or whatever the hell it's called the perspective. The head doesn't look right either...

Well I think it looks very nice - although, The main problem is you haven't told us what position the boy making... does he have his knees up towars his face? Is he sitting cross-legged? Is he kneeling down? It's hard to say because each of these make for a different body shape and could change the way the blanket wraps around him.

Waiting on Godot...

Golden Luxray wrote:

Ok- you need to shrink your images. I'm on a BIG screen, and they went off the page. All art programs have a shrink function, including paint, so please use it. I run HD on a 22' screen. If I can't hold most of it on my screen, it's too big.

I can see what the lopsided smile is meant of be- a smirk, right? A smirk still needs to center down the middle of the face, but one side extends further than the rest. This will also activate the cheek muscle above it, raising the lower eyelid of the eye above it. Try a smirk out for size on your face and see what I mean. The contorts on her top should follow the flow of the fabric too. they're not perfectly straight lines. It's pretty good though. Keep up the practice!

Not sure what to say about Gumshoe- he looks like a sketch. Are you looking for crit on that? I don't crit sketches :( If you were just image sharing, I'd rather that you did that in your own personal gallery thread than the crit thread.
alynnyang wrote:
My scanner made the lines lighter, so I darkened them. Both images are included.
Spoiler:

I'm not sure if you drew her as a skeleton first or if you went straight to clothing, cause her legs look like they can't be joined to her hips without her knee join having the ability to been outwards. To correct this, I suggest erasing her lower legs, and making it look like her legs are Ving out, or just joining them together more. HEr arm give the appearance of bending forward cause of her hand placement. Place her hand more sideways to make the arm look like it points sideways. Right now, it's sorta facing the viewer. Besides that, it's all nit picky stuf like she has tense looking shoulders and stuff. it'll be easier to see what's going on when it's further done. The picture is difficult to decipher.

Nemesis wrote:
Spoiler:

Romeo is right. There's no way you can critique something like that without knowing what is going on underneath it :( Best we can do is say that it looks not right here or there. May I suggest finding picture on the internet as reference?
ImageImageImageImage

Arkillian wrote:
Golden Luxray wrote:

Ok- you need to shrink your images. I'm on a BIG screen, and they went off the page. All art programs have a shrink function, including paint, so please use it. I run HD on a 22' screen. If I can't hold most of it on my screen, it's too big.

I can see what the lopsided smile is meant of be- a smirk, right? A smirk still needs to center down the middle of the face, but one side extends further than the rest. This will also activate the cheek muscle above it, raising the lower eyelid of the eye above it. Try a smirk out for size on your face and see what I mean. The contorts on her top should follow the flow of the fabric too. they're not perfectly straight lines. It's pretty good though. Keep up the practice!

Not sure what to say about Gumshoe- he looks like a sketch. Are you looking for crit on that? I don't crit sketches :( If you were just image sharing, I'd rather that you did that in your own personal gallery thread than the crit thread.
alynnyang wrote:
My scanner made the lines lighter, so I darkened them. Both images are included.
Spoiler:

I'm not sure if you drew her as a skeleton first or if you went straight to clothing, cause her legs look like they can't be joined to her hips without her knee join having the ability to been outwards. To correct this, I suggest erasing her lower legs, and making it look like her legs are Ving out, or just joining them together more. HEr arm give the appearance of bending forward cause of her hand placement. Place her hand more sideways to make the arm look like it points sideways. Right now, it's sorta facing the viewer. Besides that, it's all nit picky stuf like she has tense looking shoulders and stuff. it'll be easier to see what's going on when it's further done. The picture is difficult to decipher.

Nemesis wrote:
Spoiler:

Romeo is right. There's no way you can critique something like that without knowing what is going on underneath it :( Best we can do is say that it looks not right here or there. May I suggest finding picture on the internet as reference?

thanks arky ill get on it, and sorry about how big the pictures where :payne: and yh i was hoping for crit on gumsheo but it doesn't matter cos your right it was a sketch. but thanks again

Waiting on Godot...

It's fine. It's stuff that sometimes may seem obvious once you know, but sometimes it doesn't twig till you're told. Paint does it in percentages and doesn't rescale it nicely, so use it as a last result. Try to keep to percentages like 25% and 50% for the best result. IT doesn't mess with the pixels as badly :)
ImageImageImageImage

Arkillian wrote:
It's fine. It's stuff that sometimes may seem obvious once you know, but sometimes it doesn't twig till you're told. Paint does it in percentages and doesn't rescale it nicely, so use it as a last result. Try to keep to percentages like 25% and 50% for the best result. IT doesn't mess with the pixels as badly :)

thanks ill try it the next time im gona post a pic ;),also im going to add a touch of shading to this next one but it wont be all of it. :)

TAkE YouR hEaRT

Romeo wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
Spoiler:

Well I think it looks very nice - although, The main problem is you haven't told us what position the boy making... does he have his knees up towars his face? Is he sitting cross-legged? Is he kneeling down? It's hard to say because each of these make for a different body shape and could change the way the blanket wraps around him.

Arkillian wrote:

Hmm, okay. Guess it was kind of stupid from me to draw something from the top of my head without using a real reference =/ Anyway, I added some sketches, lines and whatnot... I hope it helps a bit.

Spoiler:
Well, basically he's clutching the blanket from the inside... it's a weird position, I know. I don't know about the legs though... I don't know if I should make him sitting cross-legged or having his knees up towards his face or whatever.

....I'm never going to draw a sleeping person ever again. Meh, sorry for the hassle.

Waiting on Godot...

OK- Crit to come later, but that's a totally different position than I thought it was O.O I thought he was hugging his knees.

Don't give up! I can not stress enough that you need to use references when learning as much as possible. Nothing should be impossible to draw- specially not this. It is just REALLY difficult to give crit on an object that can take any form. Humans are alot easier to critique. Can you tell me if the blanket is thick and puffy or thin and wool or what? It looks puffy right now. I'd like to know if that's correct.
ImageImageImageImage

Not a zombie

Arkillian wrote:

Thank you for the critique! I'll try and fix all the things you said. :notes:
ImageImageImage

hi well i tried to do what you guys said :D and if this is big im gona kill myself ><
and just if it is big here you go http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9752/dxhgshjh.jpg also heres the link to the bigger one (that looks better) http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9607/adrainandrews04.jpg
Spoiler:

HI GUYS man I haven't been to this thread in, like. Forever.

So uh! If anyone could give me some crit on my newest picture, that'd be lovely. :3

Spoiler: The mafia is serious business.

since this isn't full body, I'm mostly looking for critque on the shoulders, head, placement of facial features, etc! If anybody wants to that is. :3!
"C'mon, Edgeworth, aren't you grateful?"

C-R Art Thread | Livejournal | deviantART

Waiting on Godot...

An FYI to people- I'm on a Medical Hiatus at the moment but I'm going to try to keep up with this thread. Please don't expect me to get back immediately with crits. I'll do my best with the strength I have and do my crits on mass. I'd appreciate the support of budding critquers to pick up my slack till they find out what's wrong with me :) Ta.
ImageImageImageImage

Heat Guy J

PESSTAR wrote:
HI GUYS man I haven't been to this thread in, like. Forever.

So uh! If anyone could give me some crit on my newest picture, that'd be lovely. :3

Spoiler: The mafia is serious business.

since this isn't full body, I'm mostly looking for critque on the shoulders, head, placement of facial features, etc! If anybody wants to that is. :3!

You should probably look up/research on perspective because that's what's causing the problems you seem to be looking for. The foreshortening is causing Phoenix's shoulder to look not broad enough. Anatomy isn't a bad thing to research either as your characters don't seem to have any apparent structure in their torsos (in particular, the collarbone and chest; they should jut out a bit). Edgeworth's neck is too narrow as is the back of his head, and Phoenix's eyebrows usually curve up. Not too sure what you were trying to do there though.
Personally, I'd make Phoenix more manly by protruding his chin out more.
Pauca sed matura.

Waiting on Godot...

I have to agree with Jay here. There is alot of room for artistic licence in art, but this picture is HEAVILY stylised. Don't get me wrong- I TOTALLY dig the mafia concept and the pose is cool which is why this picture works, but if you're wanting crit on the actual art itself, it'd be REALLY good to start using references and skeleton sketches to map out their bodies first. Perhaps find some stock art on Deviantart. I've found the deviant Jademacalla is great for gun/weapon references cause not only is his shots believable and dynamic, but he actually knows how to hold a gun. Just going through just mafia images under stock can help to find maybe a pose that is better or how the body sits.

Another thing to point out too is things which are more to do with what you wanted from the picture. The picture is quite toony in feel, and doesn't come across as intimidating. I don't know if you wanted it to come across like that, but the toony feel in the picture makes it feel more slapstick, but that is personal opinion. The expressions convey that Phoenix is undermining Miles, and Miles is determined which seems right given the situation, but the danger level is effected. I thought I'd point that out. Not all art styles translate genres easily :( You may have to introduce heavy shadowing, dynamic angles, or heavier expressions to convey the danger of the situation to counter it.

Perspective though, expanding on what Jay said, I can see you've tried to make their heads on angles and it didn't quite work which is why their chins are too large or too weak. An A for trying- the head is something that is SO noticable if it's wrong though, so reference those angles if you on't know them. Internet stock photos is good, and so is posemaniacsfor this.

Donno if you do this already, but I start off all my pictures with a skeleton form that usually takes a very short amount of time to whip up like this. This give you an idea if you like the pose and builds the angels and 3D aspect. IF you don't like it, it took you 10 seconds to make so just erase it.

Otherwise, dont' stress too much. I really like the picture (I'm a sucker for Noir- everyone should know this now, right?). It's done it's job as far as I'm concerned. Keep up the practise Pesstar!

Goldenluxray- Don't forget under her breasts! Doing just her side makes them not look 3D. Even if it's only a thin line, she should have one under them too to show that they're 3D. Unless she's flat (Unlikely). IT's much improved though! Keep up with the practise!

Nemisis- Hrmmmm.... I'm still not sure how to crit cause it's not my forte. What I can suggest is how I'd approach it cause I'm not good with cloth. I do it bit by bit starting with the highest points and working down. Gravity pushes cloth down, so if there's nothing under it, it'll go down. If it has to change direction, then the fabric bunches up and falls back on itself cause it likes to keep some form. Duvet plush works different, but unless it is thick plush, it'll still puff out a little bit away from the body.

See if the above image helps. Unfortunately there's not alot I can help on. If I give a red line like I normally would, I'd likely get it very wrong :( It's an obscure object though cause it's plush. Get it vaguely right and the mind sorts out the rest :)
ImageImageImageImage

Heat Guy J

I don't think I call myself an expert with clothes either, but don't just lay the wrinkles on randomly like some people do. Pay attention to what materials the clothing is made of, as it can affect the kind of wrinkles (or how wrinkly) the clothing has (is). The wrinkles should basically conform to gravity, and at the same time, tell its viewers basically what's underneath. Well, usually. Long, flowing cloaks and the like don't do that. It really just depends on how close the objects underneath the cloth are to the cloth itself.
Pauca sed matura.

Not a zombie

I'm trying to get better at realism, so I used a ref to start a picture.

Here is a half-finished head-shot of my OC Rain White. I want to know if there is anything I need to fix before I continue adding tones and shading. Thanks in advance!

Two images because my camera is fail.
Spoiler: Rain White WIPs
ImageImage

ImageImageImage

alynnyang wrote:
I'm trying to get better at realism, so I used a ref to start a picture.

Here is a half-finished head-shot of my OC Rain White. I want to know if there is anything I need to fix before I continue adding tones and shading. Thanks in advance!

Two images because my camera is fail.
Spoiler: Rain White WIPs
ImageImage

As EVERYONE knows here, I'm no expert on realism, but in my humble opinion I think the eys are slightly too large, however this could just be me...
and her hair looks slightly off, but I can't put my finger on it, It's the top part of the hair where it meets the scalp, it seems strange to me.

Waiting on Godot...

alynnyang- There's not alot to say about it right now unfortunately. How do I explain this... drawing in a more 'realistic' style is a really weird term for me, cause you're wanting it to look real, right? But your style isn't primarily realistic, right? See, this is where people get caught out.

I tried it. Anime art. Years and years ago. My art style was very similar to how it is now but obviously not as practised. I thn got heavily into DBZ. At first I was crap at it but then I got good at drawing it and something happened to my non-DBZ art. This. What happened? I was trying to draw like I normally do, but I got so use to drawing in Akira Toriyama's style that I lost my sense of my own form. It took me 3 years to stop drawing oversized eyes and ears, muscles and hair. Don't get me wrong- I don't regret it for a second. I had never tried other methods till then. I was new to the internet and fandoms. I learn muscles, and stylisation. It gave me a better grounding on art. I discovered an important lesson though.

Draw the way YOU enjoy drawing. Not the way others want to see it. Why? If you don't like your art, then it shows. Pictures aren't as passionate, don't have flavour, or character. They're just flat and lifeless.

Why do I bring this up? Simple. I see alOT of people try their hand at realistic styled art and I look at it and go 'That's not realistic' just like an easterner looks at western people trying manga and going 'You just don't get it."

Proper realistic art is a mindset you need to get into. Just cause it looks real doesn't mean that the artist's personality and flavour don't come out. They ALWAYS come out.When I draw lineart or pencil render, the base face structure will ALWAYS be the same even if I try to follow a reference cause your eye needs to be trained to look for details and to know where to put them if they're not there.

Now, I could give you all the crit in the world to tell you how to make it more realistic, but the best thing I can do if you want it to look IRL real rather than stylised is to learn the correct proportions and make it how you draw, cause drawing a one shot picture like that is way too much effort for what it's worth.

HOWEVER, if what you mean by realistic is just a more of a 3D render rather than a lineart styled drawing of your current style then I could help some. There's a big difference to changing from lineart to render than from manga to realistic. I thought I'd get it out there cause realistic is a term that is a pet peeve of mine. I think people use it alot nowdays for the wrong meaning. Pencil rendering is a technique I grew up using :)

Sorry for the speech and if it don't make sense T.T
ImageImageImageImage
Page 9 of 13 [ 510 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart