Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay

Page 1 of 4[ 123 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Wright's Island (OOC Conversations)Topic%20Title

Wright's Island

...It's been a long while since I've hosted an RP session but I'm looking forward to an easy and casual diversion to get me through the next few months. So, let's talk about Wright's Island, a new roleplaying scenario that may take off the ground (and conveniently crash land in tropical paradise) if there's sufficient interest.

THE SETTING:

Shortly after the events of Trials and Tribulations, Phoenix Wright is the "lucky" winner of a vacation in the Pacific islands, for him and a select number of his friends. Phoenix invites a number of close friends, rivals, and acquaintances to accompany him on what is supposed to be a luxurious weeklong cruise in the Micronesian region. Unfortunately, disaster strikes; a massive storm submerges the vessel and leaves Phoenix and his friends abandoned on a deserted island. Lacking radio contact with the outside world, the gang must find ways to survive and thrive on this beautiful yet foreboding island until help arrives.

The RP will begin shortly after the storm has torn apart our ship.

...Yes, it's Gilligan's Island, starring our favorite characters in the AA series.

Ideally, this setting enables us to explore some of our favorite characters in a new and foreign kind of crisis situation. As opposed to seeing Phoenix and friends in a courtroom, we can see them struggle to survive and cooperate in tropical paradise.

THE RULES:

1) Established Ace Attorney Characters Only:
This rule may seem controversial, but it's intended to ensure that the atmosphere of this RP remains casual and accessible. I do not intend this RP to be a serious or grueling affair, so requiring the commitment to learn extraneous details about new characters should be unnecessary.

2) Only Certain Ace Attorney Characters are Eligible:
- Your character must have existed within the timeline of the original trilogy. I'm willing to consider case-by-case exceptions for certain AAI characters, but AJ characters like Apollo and Trucy are clearly ineligible.
- Your character must not have died and cannot have been incarcerated before the end of T&T. (Iris is the only exception to this rule, Ron Delite was canonically found innocent due to Double Jeopardy provisions, and I'm releasing Jake Marshall and Lana Skye off from their minor charges early on good behavior so they can join the "fun.")

3) No More Than Two Characters Per RPer:
This rule is self-explanatory.
(Honestly, if there's sufficient interest, I'd prefer we limit things to one character per RPer. It's just simple and convenient. However, in light of the likelihood that we won't have enough roleplayers to fill the slots, I'm willing to allow you to roleplay as two, if necessary. If you are RPing as two characters, please use different colors in your text to distinguish them.)

4) Try to Remain Within a Reasonable Interpretation of the Character:
- You are free to interpret any latent ambiguities as you wish. For example: If your character's sexuality was not defined in the game, you can interpret it however you'd like. If you have a somewhat unique interpretation of how your character might react to being stranded on a deserted island, that's permissible.
- You are not free to completely reinterpret a character's personality traits. Let's avoid rewriting Edgeworth into an assertive womanizer and let's avoid rewriting Gumshoe into a brilliant intellectual.

5) Characters and Romantic Relationships:
- Crazy things can and do happen in desperate situations, so your characters are free to pursue whatever romantic pairings you may fancy.
(You're even free to go "out into left field" so long as you write it decently. If Desiree was on the cruise and Ron wasn't, or if they just hit relational difficulties on the island, she can pursue anyone you sufficiently justify her pursuing.)
- Once you establish the canon sexuality of your character, though, you can't suddenly "reinterpret" it on a whim.
- Writing romantic scenes is fine and fun and dandy, but let's avoid any graphic descriptions of sexual conduct. You're free to imply it. (Example: "...Gumshoe and Maggey woke up next to each other in Gumshoe's tent the following morning...")
- Finally, nearly every pairing is permissible, but please use some basic discretion. Incest is off-limits. Pearls, if she's on the island, is off-limits. So is Cody. And for the sake of our precious sanity, please avoid pairing elderly characters (like the Judge) with young characters (like Maya.)

6) No Writer's Selfcest:
If you happen to be roleplaying as two characters, you can't pair them off with each other.

7) Regarding Post Length:
Be reasonable. Write at least a paragraph to justify your contribution. Try to avoid writing more than ~1,000 words per update. Frequent walls of text would destroy this experience. This is a casual RP. It shouldn't become a timesink.

8) No Crazy Fantasy Stuff:
This is a semi-realistic interpretation of what it would be like to be stranded on a deserted island; it is not the next episode of Lost. With that in mind, there should be no smoke monsters, fantasy creatures, aliens, or crazy government conspiracies. Realistic things we might encounter on an island, ranging from wild animals to quicksand to cannibals to erupting volcanoes, are legit.

9) You Can't Find Rescue Until We All Do:
If you'd like to quit the RP, let me know and I'll try to find someone to replace you. If we can't find anyone, we'll either kill your character off, or we'll have him or her conveniently "disappear" without a trace.
Rescue isn't an option until the RP formally and officially ends.

10) Basic Roleplaying Stuff:
- Avoid writing characters as "Mary Sues" or "Marty Stus." Your character should not be perfect. Perfect characters are boring.
- Do not contradict a previous roleplayers' update by pretending it "didn't happen" because you disliked their new twist.
- Keep OOC comments to a minimum; no more than a sentence or two. ((And be sure to keep OOC comments in parentheses, like this.))
- If there's a serious OOC conflict or a disagreement, PM me.

Oh! And...
* I'm Phoenix Wright. It wouldn't be Wright's Island without him. :phoenix:

All right, that's it for the list of rules. From here on out we'll just have a couple weeks of signups before I write up the first RP log.

~ Pers

Last edited by Perseverance on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:23 am, edited 16 times in total.
Re: Wright's Island (An Ace Attorney RP)Topic%20Title

Matryoshka~

Can I be Ema please? :pearl:

Grand Balance (Yin-Yang)

Ordinarily, I wouldn't be attracted to such a scenario, but I have to admit I'm half-charmed by the madness it could unleash. Something about the amount of rules makes it interesting too. I'd like to join, if that's OK with you, as Gumshoe.

Many thanks to PandaPrinzessin for this signature!

The Trusty Nudal!

This sounds fun :)

If you allow it, I'd like to join. Can you please sign me up as Larry? (I haven't RP'd for ever)
Signature and Avatar by the wonderful Midnight Jasper! Check out her graphics, you will be impressed!
Check out my sprites!
Creator of Leon Prinze Ace Attorney - Final Judgment (Sprites by Ceres)

Elimentary!

This sounds really interesting!! I'd love to join if thats ok? Can i be Franziska please? :edgy:

Check out my Graphics page :D!

((I'll update this list as more people join, or if/when I ask participants to claim a second character.))

CAST OF CHARACTERS:

:phoenix: , :will: = Perseverance
:ema: , :ayame: = Megan-Chan
:gumshoe: = Aliucon
:edgeworth: , :larry2: = nudalman
:franny: , :angel: = Awesome_Cravat
:pearl: = Asa Turney
:wendy: = TheWrightWay
:judge: , :jake: = Dypo
:lana: , :adrian: = franini
:regina: , :keylady: = sparkleranger78
:maya: , :maggy: = Neni
(Lang) = Coco

Last edited by Perseverance on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:16 am, edited 17 times in total.

Team Stepladder, represent!

I really admire how much you thought you put into the rules and everything; I can't not want to join a project that looks so nicely structured and interesting and enjoyable... But, while you've done well to persuade me into joining by suggesting the perfect character, I'm wondering whether you may soon regret it. By getting a Pearl in here, you know that, the second a Maya makes her entrance, Mr. Nick is going to have a hard time getting within a whip's length of the character I know he was hoping (against any supposed promise of non-bias) to get set up with. ...In any case, this should be fun~. x3

Pearl would like to join, please! :pearl-blush:

It'll be my first time ever roleplaying...so, umm, hello everybody! I hope I can contribute acceptably...! :gymshoe:

Edit:
-- Thanks a lot, Aliucon!
--And Perseverance, I was just kidding of course; I know you wouldn't let your ships get in the way of something like this. I'm sure it's true the unexpectedness of pairings will prove to be part of the beauty of these kinds of RPs!
...I can't wait! :pearly:

Last edited by Asa Turney on Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grand Balance (Yin-Yang)

((Ah, so it's your first time roleplaying! Well, welcome to the game! Hope you have fun when it starts. I'm sure you'll do well, the rules here make it for a great guideline.))

Many thanks to PandaPrinzessin for this signature!

Hah! Let me just pull out my magnifying glass so I can read Asa's ludicrously small text and...
:zaviaar:

Asa Turney wrote:
By getting a Pearl in here, you know that, the second a Maya makes her entrance, Mr. Nick is going to have a hard time getting within a whip's length of the character I know he was hoping (against any supposed promise of non-bias) to get set up with.

((...Actually, I'm staunchly against the notion of restricting roleplaying matches strictly to my ships. I find it limits the flow of the roleplaying session, and it would certainly be unfair to whoever happened to roleplay as Franziska [not to mention several other female characters] if I was hellbent on having Phoenix pursue her every time, regardless of circumstances. When roleplaying, my characters pursue matches as the narrative dictates; if I find I have a great rapport writing scenes with the person writing as Iris or Maya or Edgeworth or Adrian or whoever, I'd have no problem pursuing those romances. I have pursued men with characters I personally consider heterosexual if I feel it's appropriate...I can write the same characters quite differently in different sessions! I generally recommend others adopt a similarly open-minded approach, as it ensures a more exciting and less predictable RP experience.))

((Bah, I'm breaking my own rules! Ah well, the RP hasn't officially started yet anyway. Thanks for joining the fun, Asa.))

Elimentary!

Perseverance wrote:
((...Actually, I'm staunchly against the notion of restricting roleplaying matches strictly to my ships. I find it limits the flow of the roleplaying session, and it would certainly be unfair to whoever happened to roleplay as Franziska [not to mention several other female characters] if I was hellbent on having Phoenix pursue her every time, regardless of circumstances. When roleplaying, my characters pursue matches as the narrative dictates; if I find I have a great rapport writing scenes with the person writing as Iris or Maya or Edgeworth or Adrian or whoever, I'd have no problem pursuing those romances. Hell, I've even pursued men with characters I personally consider heterosexual if I feel it's appropriate...I can write the same characters quite differently in different sessions! I generally recommend others adopt a similarly open-minded approach, as it ensures a more exciting and less predictable RP experience.))

((Being the person that is RPing as Franziska, my own personal OTP is Miles and Franziska, however like Perseverance, i'm open to whatever dynamics work. Who knows, maybe we'll discover some good dynamics between unexpected characters! Not to mention for most people Miles and Franziska comes under incest so it would technically go against the rules I'm really looking forward to this RP starting!!))

Muuuuffiiiiiiiiiins...

This looks pretty fun! I think I'll join as... Oldbag. I considered Edgeworth, but I'm better with the more... wacky characters.

Overworked Sprite Artist

I'll take Mike Meekins, if you don't mind. :P
Image Image

Matryoshka~

I have an idea! Maybe we could have seperate Apollo Justice and AAI versions of this?

Megan-Chan wrote:
I have an idea! Maybe we could have seperate Apollo Justice and AAI versions of this?

We could, eventually.
I'd like to find a few more RPers and get this version started before we think about expanding the concept.

We could really use an Edgeworth and a Maya. Once we get those two, I could just have us fill out the rest of the cast by allowing y'all to choose a second character.

FYI: I'm leaving signups open another week and will probably start the RP next Sunday (the 21st.) I'll probably make the decision to allow you to choose a second character in a couple days, but I'll wait a while longer so newcomers can still get their first choice characters.
On the 21st, whichever characters have not joined will be dead, missing, back home in California, wondering what happened on that cruise!

Seizing the day - or trying to.

I'd like to be Lana Skye, please - I'm assuming that since she was only incarcarated for evidence tampering she's okay? If not, Adrian Andrews - but Lana's my preference.
Image OBJECTION! I may be green, but I can still beat you with my epic broomstick! (Avatar copyright Atlus.)

franini wrote:
I'd like to be Lana Skye, please - I'm assuming that since she was only incarcarated for evidence tampering she's okay? If not, Adrian Andrews - but Lana's my preference.

I'm allowing Jake Marshall to join the "fun" on a similar technicality, so yeah, I'll allow it.
And at this rate you might be able to sign up as Adrian too, once I allow everyone to choose a second character.

The Trusty Nudal!

When we're choosing a second character, can I reserve Edgeworth?

Meaning that if someone takes him before we choose a second, then I can't have him, and vice versa?

Likewise Adrian, please.
Image OBJECTION! I may be green, but I can still beat you with my epic broomstick! (Avatar copyright Atlus.)

Matryoshka~

Can I do the same with Iris? :pearl:

...We could use a few more RPers before I enable y'all to claim second characters. So, for the record, if you're new and you haven't signed up for the RP yet, you can claim any character I haven't listed as "taken" in my latest update.

That being said, yes, if no one claims Edgeworth, Adrian or Iris in the next few days, you'll get those characters as soon as I allow second characters to be claimed. I just don't want newcomers to feel uncomfortable claiming those characters as their first choice if they have such a preference.

Overworked Sprite Artist

Hm... I changed my mind. Can I control Udgey? :)
Image Image

Dypo wrote:
Hm... I changed my mind. Can I control Udgey? :)

Yes.
((...For future reference, though: I tend to discourage frequently changing characters, as it might confuse the newcomers as to which characters are available...so let's try to keep it to a minimum.))

((I wish I knew of better ways to advertise this RP throughout Court Records. If any of you have acquaintances here that you think might be interested, let them know. We could use at least a couple more RPers to make sure that all the major characters are covered.))

Overworked Sprite Artist

Thank you. I will keep that in mind.
Image Image

UPDATE:

...Well, it doesn't look like anyone else is interested in joining, so I've allowed everyone to select their second characters. I've chosen Ron for myself (I have plans for him. Anyone who's interested in RPing as Desiree should PM me before selecting her, just so that you're aware of those plans.) :yuusaku:

And, those of you who have already specified which second character you'd prefer...you've gotten what you wanted.

You should not feel obligated to select a second character if you've already signed up. It's a little extra work to juggle two characters at once, so it will require a slightly higher degree of commitment from you. If you're interested, though, we could certainly use more characters.

Finally, if you haven't signed up yet, please feel free to! There are still several characters available, and once Maya is taken, I might throw Kay and Lang into the mix, if there's interest in those characters.
...If you're new, you can actually choose up to two available characters at once, if you'd like!

We really do need a female RPer (or a courageous man) to consider taking Maya, though...

...so if you could write as her, please consider it.
:maya:

Regardless of what happens, the RP starts this Sunday! :phoenix:

The Trusty Nudal!

Thanks!

Can't wait to start.

smile

Sounds fun! Regina please!

Elimentary!

I'll take Maya if no-one else wants her.

Maya and Franziska would be a heavy burden for one RPer to carry, so I'd be willing to wait and see if a newcomer wants to claim her.
...If no one does, though, I do appreciate you claiming Ms. Fey. :-P

Elimentary!

Perseverance wrote:
Maya and Franziska would be a heavy burden for one RPer to carry, so I'd be willing to wait and see if a newcomer wants to claim her.
...If no one does, though, I do appreciate you claiming Ms. Fey. :-P

Not a problem, I think it would be more fun if a newcomer took on Maya since she's such a big character, but if no-one takes her i'll fill her spot :)

Overworked Sprite Artist

Just verifying...

So, are we going to start the RP on Saturday?
Image Image

Sunday I think from Pers' earlier post.

Elimentary!

I think its sunday but applications for new characters stop on saturday.

I'm shutting down the signup process Saturday evening (my time, here in the eastern United States.)

The first RP post probably goes up Sunday afternoon. (Assuming nothing disastrous happens.)

If no one else joins or signs up for additional characters, Awesome_Cravat would get Maya, all the other unselected characters would simply not appear in the story (presumably, they'd have turned down Phoenix's offer for a free cruise vacation) and that'd be that. I'm still holding out hope that a couple more interested folks might join, as we clearly have room for more.
If another person does select Maya, I'd give A_C the opportunity to select a different second character before shutting down signups.

Overworked Sprite Artist

I'd like to reserve Jake Marshall as a second character. Is that alright? :3
Image Image

smile

Thought I'd tell you, I'm may not be here Sunday, just a warning.

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

Hi, Nudalman said you still need a Maya!! I'd love to play her if you want me to! ;-)
:maya:

And I would hate to see Maggey not included in this! Especially seeing how perrrrfect this whole situation fits her chronic bad luck! If nobody wants her, I would like to take her as well! She's another one of my favorite characters! :sparkly-maggey:

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Thanks a lot, Neni! I'm pleasantly surprised that we're now very close to a full slate of Ace Attorney characters for this RP.

Now that all the major characters have been taken, I'm opening Kay Faraday and Shi Long Lang as available characters for selection. For all sakes and purposes, this RP session will now be construed to begin shortly after the events of Ace Attorney Investigations (and before Nick's disbarment, if you're keeping track.)

Awesome_Cravat, you're now off the hook for Maya, and you can choose a different second character to round out your roster if you'd like.
...And there are still enough available characters to justify joining if you're new.

Matryoshka~

If you don't mind, I'm going to start to type out the AAI version of this. Is that okay? I can always ask for the topic to be locked if it isn't.

smile

Oooh! I'll take Kay as my second!

Megan-Chan wrote:
If you don't mind, I'm going to start to type out the AAI version of this. Is that okay? I can always ask for the topic to be locked if it isn't.

Would you mind doing an AJ version, instead?
Just about all of the prevalent AAI characters who'd make sense to appear will, in fact, be participating in this version.
Aside from that it feels a bit early for a spinoff, anyway, but at least with the AJ timeframe you'd have an entirely different cast of characters.

...Also, you might want to consider adding a new twist or two from the "deserted island" premise, just to make sure it doesn't feel too identical to this RP's plot. We'd get pretty bored of describing tropical islands in identical RP sessions! Maybe...instead of being on a tropical island, in your version, the characters are snowed into a haunted house in the middle of winter, or something? I don't know, you can toy around with your own ideas!
Page 1 of 4 [ 123 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay