Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 13[ 502 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Fire Emblem seriesTopic%20Title

Apollon Flame

Developer: Intelligent Systems
Publisher: Nintendo
Genre: Turn-Based, Strategy

Basically, it's a turn-based, strategy game set in medieval ages where knights, archers, and dragons fight in the land that's threatened by an evil military superpower nation.
A King

in name

alone...
Re: Fire Emblem seriesTopic%20Title

YES. LOVE THIS SERIES. (Although it doesn't seem like FE12's coming over here anytime soon, so there isn't that much to discuss...)

Have played FE4-sort-of, FE6, FE7, FE8, FE11 (ugh...). FE7 is my favourite by far. It's so big and lovely and wonderful~ and HectorLyn <3
The main draw for me is definitely the characters. That a single game could have 50+ fleshed out and generally well-developed characters is still awesome.

Apollon Flame

Wow, look like I'm not the only one that likes FF7 more than any other FE game! And Path of Radiance was my first FE game!
A King

in name

alone...

This is my favourite series (other than Ace Attorney)!
I've played all of them, except for FE1, FE2 and FE3. I'm planning on playing FE2 soon, though.
I don't really have a favourite, but I like FE4, FE5, FE10 and FE12 more than the rest. It's such a shame FE12 won't be released overseas, because it's a very good game, far better than FE11. It also has some features that could appeal to newcomers (such as My Unit and Casual Mode), so it would have been a great chance to get more people interested in the series :/

Apollon Flame

If you haven't played FE1, you should pick-up the DS remake; Shadow Dragon.
A King

in name

alone...

Yup, I have played FE11. Didn't really like it that much, to be honest; I found most maps either boring or downright annoying (like that one with all the ballistae). It had some interesting features, though, like reclassing, or being able to skip the enemy phases. But yeah, overall, not really one of my favourites.

Apollon Flame

Mine neither. I too thought it was boring.
A King

in name

alone...

I don't want to bring up the 'lack of supports' thing because, as has been pointed out, FE1-5 had no supports and apparently the characters were all lovely and fleshed out in those, which I don't doubt. But, well, the FE11 characters really did feel bland to me. And Marth felt even blander than Roy. Ugh.

Mai - You've finished FE4? Do you think you could maybe, uhh, give me some tips? I assumed it would be like the GBA games I had played, but, well, there are a lot of mechanics I don't understand. I don't really know what skills are... and I really, really don't understand the next-generation type thing. Pairings advice especially would be much appreciated.

Midnight Jasper wrote:
Mai - You've finished FE4? Do you think you could maybe, uhh, give me some tips? I assumed it would be like the GBA games I had played, but, well, there are a lot of mechanics I don't understand. I don't really know what skills are... and I really, really don't understand the next-generation type thing. Pairings advice especially would be much appreciated.

Sure!
Skills are kind of hard to explain... basically, each skill has a different quality, and each character has his/her own set of skills. Here's a list of all skills and what they can do. Most of them are kind of like critical hits, and let you do more damage to enemies.
Oh, and Pursuit is a very important skill; unlike in other Fire Emblem games, where any character can double attack if their speed is >4 points higher than the enemy's, in this one characters need the Pursuit skill to double attack.
As for the pairing mechanic, it's very similar to supports: just keep the characters you want to fall in love next to each other. Each female (Ethlin, Aideen, Ayra, Lachesis, Sylvia, Fury, Briggid, Tiltyu) has two children, and those children's stats and skill sets are influenced by their parents'.
Since this is your first time playing FE4, I'd recommend Midir/Aideen, Holyn/Ayra, Beowulf/Lachesis, Claude/Sylvia, Levin/Fury, Jamka/Briggid and Azel/Tiltyu, since those are the easiest pairings.

I hope I was of help... I'm not very good at explaining things :payne:

I love the Fire Emblem games, specifically FE7 and FE8 (Path of Radiance is good too, but I'm not too interested in Radiant Dawn or Shadow Dragon otherwise).

Also, this retrospective recently sparked my interest in the SNES Fire Emblems; it just makes me want Nintendo to bring Mystery of the Emblem (DS) over even more... :igarashi:
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

Love, learn, live.

My favorite is definitely 8, it was just so well executed, and so well made. It's just too bad that Shadow Dragon was such a disappointment. I mean it's not terrible, but it's definitely not as good as the previously released titles. I also love Path of Radiance, but I have to say it is a bitch later to maintain a good amount of characters, since there are so many great characters to use in the game. 7 is also great, but I think I love 8 more.

Jury Duty

Sacred Stones (FE8) is my favorite of them all. I loved the split storyline in the second third of the game. The game sadly gets a bad rap because one can easily level cap on the first floor of Valni as soon as you have access to it. I loved the storyline and the branching class options upon promotion. Surprised they didn't bring that back for PoR though.

FE9 and FE10 I consider one game since they're the only FE games with a sequel/prequel that were both released stateside due to the Gamecube game's popularity. Radiant Dawn boasts a HUGE stable of characters which makes it hard to build a solid team in Parts 3 and 4. In Part 3 especially you alternate between Ike and Micaiah's armies during the second half of Part 3. For the final part of Part 4 you have to pick twelve people and it's aggrivating they didn't at least allow you to bring reserves for backup or to switch out or something. It's pretty tempting to load the party with the Royals (HIGH crit, dodges everything and ALWAYS in Laguz form), though. The only ending I haven't been able to get yet is still the secret extended ending involving Soren. I do know that in order to see it, you must have an A-level support between Ike in Soren imported from PoR Clear Data AND have an A-Support with Ike and Soren in Radiant Dawn. In addition you must be on your second Playthrough and not only must Pelleas be alive you must bring him and Soren into the tower.

...Recruiting Volke is a pain in the rear in RD (he asks for money you likely won't have at that point), though he is more powerful than he is in PoR.
Phoenix Wright! Miles Edgeworth!
*Slams Desk, then Points*
I CHOOSE YOU!

元・超会社員級の管理人

Love these games - but you probably guessed that from me posting in the Advance Wars thread. Last year I marathoned FE6-FE10, but I haven't been able to motivate myself to finish my 100% hard mode run of FE10. I'm in the early chapters of part 3 and I just can't get myself motivated to play through it, even though I know it picks up again at 3-13.

Spoiler: FE10 ending secrets
Also re: the Soren/Pelleas thing; if I'm not mistaken, that's two separate events. One is triggered by importing the Ike/Soren A support, having them hit A, and recruiting Lehran. The other is triggered by having Soren fight Micaiah in 3-7 and Pelleas in 3-F.

Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Apollon Flame

Nice, this thread is getting populated~ Personally, FE7 is my favorite because the atmosphere and the characters were great. FE8, on the other hand, was great (a major gameplay improvement, but I like 7 more). One of the things I don't like about FE8 is the fact that you end up killing zombies and monsters. Sure, it's something different, but I like FE games where you kill humans (but that's just me).
A King

in name

alone...

Gettin' Old!

Hmmm
I'm not wise enough to know all the numbers but I know the titles....

I've played:
Sacred Stones
Path of Radiance
Shadow Dragon

I guess I'd say Shadow Dragon was my least favourite but that's partially because Sacred stones was just SOOO good.

Though pulled some horrible moves sometimes, like critically hitting Cormag for a one hit kill on a 3% chance :yuusaku:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

I own Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, so those are the only ones that I properly played. I played Fire Emblem (The one with Lyn) and Shadow Dragon on an emulator, but I plan on buying SD eventually, soo....

I do love this series though. Tough gameplay, but great.

Apollon Flame

The FE with Lyn is Fire Emblem 7 (or Rekka no Ken/Blazing Sword). My personal favorite.
A King

in name

alone...

Love, learn, live.

Brendan2k5 wrote:
Sacred Stones (FE8) is my favorite of them all. I loved the split storyline in the second third of the game. The game sadly gets a bad rap because one can easily level cap on the first floor of Valni as soon as you have access to it. I loved the storyline and the branching class options upon promotion. Surprised they didn't bring that back for PoR though.

The thing I disliked about the leveling system for PoR was that it required a decent amount of experience gain to get a good chunk of bonus Exp. What makes this bad is that if you don't get enough Exp. then you're out of luck. Especially when you use Mist later on in the game, I don't recommend using her, but in a certain point you kind of have to. Then you can't level her properly, the support is kind of crooked too since it really doesn't help that much, nor does it do anything for the ending. I'm a fan of support conversations, especially when they get you specific endings for characters, like couples, and so forth.

I have yet to play Radiant Dawn, but I hear it's not so great.

The Zelda Geek

I was introduced to Fire Emblem about half a year ago, so I only own Radiant Dawn.
Even so, I've grown adicted to it.

Apollon Flame

Quote:
Even so, I've grown adicted to it.

FE is one of those series that you like to replay. Also, imagine Fire Emblem, but with Advance Wars' map editor. :D~
A King

in name

alone...

Mai - Thanks very much! :) I might actually be able to finish it now~ I think I'll go with Lex/Ayra as it reminds me of my beloved Hector/Lyn, but otherwise I shall see where my new playthrough leads me...

So guys, what have all of your most uber characters been in your playthroughs? Although I love FE7 the most, for me FE6 has always had the most crazy-awesome characters. Support together Miledy, Zeiss, Shin, Fir, Rutger, Clarine, Dieck, and the game becomes almost easy :D Not to mention Lilina and her ridiculous magic stat.

From FE7 it's the three pegasus knights for me. I have a weakness for Falcoknights and Florina + Silver Lance is just nonstop own. I had the most tremendous fun in the chapter where you're stuck in a narrow corridor with loads and loads of archers: I just sent out a Falcoknight with a Delphi Shield and mass slaughter commenced.

And from FE8 we have Ephraim, Tana, Cormag, Marisa, Joshua, Gerik, and L'Arachel. FE8 has what I would deem the most satisfying level in any game I've played so far: not only does basically everyone in your army max out and promote at the same time, but you get two revenge kills, Caellach and Valter. Epically epic.

Apollon Flame

Oh yes, in terms of characters, I was actually drown to hate some of them. Valter because he's like a pretty-boy prick.
A King

in name

alone...

Gettin' Old!

Oooh favourite characters from FF8:

Yes I hear it got bashed because you could powerlevel but hey, it was the first I played so I was fine with it and it set the bar for the other games D= was disappointed to see Support conversations and training spots weren't in other games but I know it's the norm.

Faves...
Ephraim
Dozla
Joshua
Garcia
Forde
Gilliam
Innes
Gerik
Cormag.

Huh....kinda a dudefest I suppose Nastasha was pretty cool too then.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Apollon Flame

The Arenas are the common gold/exp farming points.
A King

in name

alone...

Gettin' Old!

Scent wrote:

Yes but they aren't as good as say, a whole map you can replay over and over for benefits other than gold and experience like the tower was.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Apollon Flame

Pierre wrote:
Scent wrote:

Yes but they aren't as good as say, a whole map you can replay over and over for benefits other than gold and experience like the tower was.

You have point, and the Tower is much safer than the Arena.
A King

in name

alone...

Gettin' Old!

Scent wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Scent wrote:

You have point, and the Tower is much safer than the Arena.

Yeah XD far safer, Arena can be like random butt whooping and losing is a serious issue in Fire Emblem
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Apollon Flame

Pierre wrote:
Yeah XD far safer, Arena can be like random butt whooping and losing is a serious issue in Fire Emblem

Yeah, I was amazed to see a Berserker (an effing Berserker :beef: ) in the arena. :adrian:
A King

in name

alone...

Gettin' Old!

Scent wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Yeah, I was amazed to see a Berserker (an effing Berserker :beef: ) in the arena. :adrian:

Besides you got so many cool things in the tower other than a place to grind for conversations and levels XD Unlocking bonus characters and villains and stuff.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I was really unused to the FE11 Arena at first (where you can keep on going within one turn forever and ever), but now I've sort of grown to miss it. There aren't any drawbacks and once you've promoted it's really easy to rack up 20 or so consecutive wins. And in the Arena you can support all of the rest of your units as well as training up your healer. Arena abuse does kind of feel like cheating to me though >.< so nowadays I don't use it very much at all.

The music and entire atmosphere of Tower of Valni is too depressing. That's not to say the standard 'Victory Music' doesn't get irritating either after about 100 turns of arena abuse...

I understand the point of having to grind for Nino or someone who enters in the lategame at Level 1, but personally I find one of the more interesting and fun challenges of the lategame, when all of your other characters just generally don't die much, is bringing along a baby Level 1 and trying to keep them alive whilst also gaining as much exp as possible. Plus it's just fun killing a Paladin with a level 1 Mage and a Fire tome. :D

Apollon Flame

Oh yeah, I hate it when you have to train low leveled units at almost half of the game (specially units that start in a low-tier class such as Soldier).
A King

in name

alone...

Gettin' Old!

Scent wrote:
Oh yeah, I hate it when you have to train low leveled units at almost half of the game (specially units that start in a low-tier class such as Soldier).

You kidding? Those are the best units =D

They have limitless potential and can be directed into a wide variety of classes plus they get more level ups than the usual crew.

Also yes the low level weapons are the way to go ;P Just delightfully cheap and you deal the damage.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

^ You're talking about the trainee units i.e. Amelia/Ross/Ewan, right? They're not so bad, and FE8 isn't so long anyway.

But when Nino comes in at Chapter 26 of a 30-chapter-long game at level FIVE (unpromoted), I really feel like hitting something. On a level with Bolting, too. Graaaaaaagh.
It is worth training her, though, as she's basically the best unit in the game :)

Gettin' Old!

Midnight Jasper wrote:
^ You're talking about the trainee units i.e. Amelia/Ross/Ewan, right? They're not so bad, and FE8 isn't so long anyway.

But when Nino comes in at Chapter 26 of a 30-chapter-long game at level FIVE (unpromoted), I really feel like hitting something. On a level with Bolting, too. Graaaaaaagh.
It is worth training her, though, as she's basically the best unit in the game :)

Yep those guys, especially Ross...it really is nice having another Hero/Berserker about.

Though I don't quite recall Nino....who was she?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Love, learn, live.

I actually started playing Path of Radiance again thanks to this thread. :P

Pierre wrote:
Midnight Jasper wrote:

Yep those guys, especially Ross...it really is nice having another Hero/Berserker about.

Though I don't quite recall Nino....who was she?

That's Fire Emblem 7 :P
Sacred Stones isn't really long enough to have those irritating units who come in too late and are about 10 levels behind the rest of your army. Est (FE1), Zeiss (FE6), Sophia (FE6) and Nino all count. Nino is particularly annoying because you have to keep her alive in a chapter with promoted units randomly running out of the darkness *and* Bolting which can kill her in one shot. Although Sophia comes in a close second, being level ONE on a DESERT MAP with loads of DRAGONS and FOG and TREASURE you must get as well as a freaking TURN LIMIT. Man, there are loads of times when I just want to shoot the FE6 level designers.

元・超会社員級の管理人

I remember I trained Nino once and she turned out fantastic, but on my latest FE7 run (Hector Hard Mode) it just wasn't worth it. Lucius and Canas took care of magic for me.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Apollon Flame

Quote:
there are loads of times when I just want to shoot the FE6 level designers.

That's the trick; straitening. They want you to think hard about what you're going to do. The level designs are hard, what's hard is to come up with something to get over it. :phoenix:

Quote:
but on my latest FE7 run (Hector Hard Mode) it just wasn't worth it.

Here's something I read in a guide: you know that every enemy unit get their stats raised, right? Well, that includes those enemy units that you recruit! Meaning that enemy-ally unit actually become better in HHM! :maya:
A King

in name

alone...

Love, learn, live.

Bolt Storm wrote:
I remember I trained Nino once and she turned out fantastic, but on my latest FE7 run (Hector Hard Mode) it just wasn't worth it. Lucius and Canas took care of magic for me.

Nino is one of the best magic users in the series, but it feels impossible to train her sometimes, I just wish that they brought her in way before they did. Cause it's a pain to raise a level 5 mage to a level 20 Sage in just a few levels.

Apollon Flame

Protip: Never, EVER, use class-upgrading items before hitting lv.20.
A King

in name

alone...
Page 1 of 13 [ 502 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station