Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 10 of 11[ 435 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Re: Books!Topic%20Title

Annnnddd in addition to the other 2 Neil Gaiman books I listed, I also have Neverwhere now! :) My friend got it for me for my birthday yesterday! More reading material, woo!

And it seems the consensus between my friends is that I should read American Gods before Anansi Boys. But now, should I read that or Neverwhere first? *laughs*

Brb, flipping a coin! :D
Phoenix/Maya Day: Sept. 5th. ♥
Phoenix/Iris Day: September 12th. ♥

"I'm End Quote." end quote.

End Quote wrote:
I now have to read "Vallen" van Anna Provoost for school...

Aargh, boring book ...

Mmm, let me change my opinion, it does get somewhat interesting later on...
:keiko: WARNING: SIG CONTAINS LAME JOKE
ImageImage

Et tu, Brute?

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
I don't read much, but tonight I picked up Mogworld by Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame. It's about a mage named Jim who's killed in a skirmish outside of his college and brought back from the dead 60 years later by a necromancer who plans to use his resurrected undead horde to conquer the world. However, Jim is unhappy with his new "life" as an animated corpse and begins his quest to seek a permanent and happy death.

I've only read the prologue and first chapter so far. The story is quite dark but Yahtzee's prose loses none of its insane wit and colorful descriptions that make his narrative skill unique. I recommend checking it out.

I might have to pick this up...I love Zero Punctuation. :redd:

On a relevant note, I have finished The Phenomenon of Man, and have now embarked upon The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I have a stack of fat, unread books I'm supposed to read for philosophy class. :udgy:

:)

I've ordered Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan from In4merz today. It looks pretty interesting and something that would appeal to me.

The Trusty Nudal!

For a book report, I had to create a song for the Hunger Games series.

So here's the youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlT-yv_862g

Please ignore my terrible singing.

Also, if you comment, don't say your from the forums please. My parents don't know about this website and I plan to keep it that way.
Signature and Avatar by the wonderful Midnight Jasper! Check out her graphics, you will be impressed!
Check out my sprites!
Creator of Leon Prinze Ace Attorney - Final Judgment (Sprites by Ceres)

:)

nudalman wrote:
For a book report, I had to create a song for the Hunger Games series.

So here's the youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlT-yv_862g

Please ignore my terrible singing.

Also, if you comment, don't say your from the forums please. My parents don't know about this website and I plan to keep it that way.

Reminds me of the time I had to treat an egg like a baby for 2 weeks for a book project.

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Gossip Girl! :redd:

Nah, really. I'm a girl. ^^

Call me Ishmael.

Bump time!

I finished 1984 while I was away. What can I say? I didn't exactly "enjoy" it, but I wasn't supposed to either. So I guess it's a great book in that sense. My favorite part had to be the interrogation scene with Winston and O'Brien.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

A few days ago I started reading the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin. On the second book now. It's pretty awesome.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

So I've read quite a few books for school recently: Death of a Salesman, Our Town, Cat's Cradle, and the Great Gatsby.

Spoiler: Possible spoilers for all of these books
Death of a Salesman was alright. It had solid themes and it was pretty interesting.

Our Town was disappointing. It was very boring most of the time. I get that its message was to live life and appreciate it, but come on. It was literally like watching real life unfold. Even when the ending manages to delve into spirituality it still feels pretty boring and mellow. I had hoped it would be one of those kinds of stories where a whole town deals with some crisis (i.e. Deadly Virus, Aliens, Zombies, or even something more mild like paranoia and panic) but no, it's quite the opposite. It's about a town that's pretty well-off in the beginning and still well-off in the middle and end as it learns to adjust to changes.

Cat's Cradle was just awful. The author's biases shone through like a spotlight through plastic wrap. He goes on about how religion is for idiots. Which normally I would be okay with considering that's how lots of people feel but what really gets me is that he also thinks science is evil. His stance is basically: Humans are evil and nothing we do can change that. Even when we do good things we're still dumb and when we do smart things we're just evil. I also think he wrote the book for some kind of foot fetish he has. Seriously. There are plenty of scenes that involve people sensuously rubbing their feet together. The only part I liked about the book was the ending because that's when the author gives us what he promised: an apocalypse scenario. The world goes to hell and the reader gets to see how and why. The buildup actually seems to payoff. After like over 100 chapters. That's right. There are 127 chapters. But don't be too offput by this book. It's got a decent writing style and if you don't mind the themes it's really a good read. Despite the numerous chapters it's still quite a short book. Some chapters take up less than a page and some are even just a sentence or two.

The Great Gatsby I found was alright. Overrated in my opinion. The themes were solid but the writing and word use was a bit confusing. Though I guess I can blame myself and this time period for that. Oh well. It wasn't too interesting until around Chapter 7 but then after that it became just as boring again.

Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

WAAAAAAAGH!

Well, I've read all of the Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!) novels now, and I'm reading the Ultramarines Omnibus whenever I get the chance to (read: Not often).

Love, learn, live.

For the past year I've been reading Memoirs of a Geisha, yes I've been holding off on it. :P

c:

I finished A Day No Pigs Would Die a few days ago. Definitely not the kind of book I would pick up voluntarily, but for a book I'm required to read for school it wasn't so bad. I have to read The Cay next.

元・超会社員級の管理人

About two-thirds through The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm normally more of a sci-fi guy than fantasy, but this has just been superb so far. A real page-turner, which is good, given the thing's about 670 pages if memory serves.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

tastes like new reed

I've read Rules by Cynthia Lord, and now I have to write an essay for it. I read it pretty fast, I think it took a little over a day.
It's a good book. My favorite part was when Catherine took a walk with Jason.
Now I have to read Under A War Torn Sky by L. M. Elliot. I'm only on the 4th page because I haven't really read it yet. But it seems very interesting.

Let's see... Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech is good. I also loved The Ear, The Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer.

whut?

Reading Neil Gaiman's short stories at the moment. I preferred the "Fragile Things" collection, but "Smoke and Mirrors" is good too.

Bought the Dark Tower vol. 3 and got given "Shades of Grey" by Jasper Fforde for my birthday. Will be reading those on holiday :}

I love Harlan Coben books. I'm a sucker for murder mystery sort of stuff. When I pick one up I can't put it down haha.

The member who doesn't swear much

So I finished American Gods a wee while ago. It's weird, it's confusing and it's ruddy brilliant. Definitely one of my favourite books, even if I could hardly follow it.
Married to KSAT~. Super Cammy (known as Cammyflage) sprite in avvie by Looby.

I Do LPs. Here's a link to watch them on my channel on YouTube.

Finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro a couple of days ago... I still don't really know what to say... It's great, especially the subtle way in which Ishiguro writes. He makes you believe that even the most crazy, creepy situations are perfectly normal... Well, he convinced me anyway. It's fantastic in a weird way, if that makes any sense...
I also read Dance On My Grave by Aidan Chambers about a month ago. Hilarious and depressing at the same time.

Bam! Wait. That's a fish?!

Currently reading The Knife of Never Letting Go from the Chaos Walking series. It's about a world where every man has their thoughts in the air waiting to be read. Really interesting premise... Liking it so far.

Also reading The Body of Christopher Creed by Plum-ucci or something.
[Signature in construction until I make a new one]
I'm back, mate! Still lurking like a ninja but whatevs :3

The X makes it cool!

For school I have to read Uglies by Scott Westerfeld... and it is terrible so far.
The characters are obnoxious and annoying.
The dialogue sounds forced.
The editing has many flaws.
It's just overall boring.
Well maybe I'm being harsh, I'm not even halfway through it yet... maybe it will get better... :payne:

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

This past month I recently finished both American Psycho and Clockwork Orange. Both interesting pieces of literature that explore the darkness of the human mind.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Call me Ishmael.

Now reading Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, by Jules Vernes. It's interesting! I'm familiar with the character Captain Nemo from Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic books.

I recently read a newly-translated book called "The Lake" from Japanese author, Banana Yoshimoto.

It's a good read...but kind of short. (Only 188 pages)

Call me Ishmael.

Chikikyo wrote:
I recently read a newly-translated book called "The Lake" from Japanese author, Banana Yoshimoto.

It's a good read...but kind of short. (Only 188 pages)

Lol, banana.

I'll look into the book though. =P

My childhood right here

I read The Giver last year.
Spoiler: Teh spoilerz! Noez!
I don't remember any names except for the baby Gabriel. Keep this in mind.
So, book starts, a kid's biking to school, getting distracted, shows up, gets told off, and then recess. School, different kid (main) goes home, blah blah. I found most of the beginning kinda boring. The recieving of memories begins, little less boring. Then Jonas/Jonah (I think that's the main's name) sees something wierd, and you find out it's red. The entire town is in black and white?! Everything has been controlled, from weather, to a lack of colors, to no animals or people leaving. Woah! Later on, you find out about the population control, and Jonah's "dad" kills unnecessary babies. Jonah's "family" takes care of baby Gabriel. He doesn't stop crying, Jonah fixes this with his memory transferring skill, they're gonna kill Babe-riel, Jonah takes him and escapes, end of the book is Jonah hearing a singing village over a hill.
My mish-mashed memory has hopefully provided a review of this book. I give it a 7/10. I like it, but it's so dull at times. I never thought a book could have fillers.
Lately I've been reading Dragon Ball. Does this count as a book, or no?

SMASHING DAY FOR A BARBEQUE.

Has anyone here ever read 'Memoirs of a Geisha'?

It's a really good book and I'd reccomend it to anyone who's interested in ancient Japanese culture, I mean, I'm not really into Japanese culture, but the characters are so believable and the story doesn't try to do too much, it keeps it simple which I really like.

But be warned, it's a long read with over 500 pages in like, a size 8 text. My eyes will die by the end of this book.

Romeo wrote:

It's a really good book and I'd reccomend it to anyone who's interested in ancient Japanese culture, I mean, I'm not really into Japanese culture, but the characters are so believable and the story doesn't try to do too much, it keeps it simple which I really like.

But be warned, it's a long read with over 500 pages in like, a size 8 text. My eyes will die by the end of this book.

I own it, and I've tried to start it so many times, but like you said, the 500 pages of size 8 text, will require effort. I'll get to it sometime though.

SMASHING DAY FOR A BARBEQUE.

samboo1 wrote:
Romeo wrote:

I own it, and I've tried to start it so many times, but like you said, the 500 pages of size 8 text, will require effort. I'll get to it sometime though.

Trust me it's really worth the read. I attempted earlier, like a year or so ago and it got too much, but I think i'm prepared this time. It's really charming story that's very believable.

Here for my yearly login

The Hunt for Red October. I've read most of the Jack Ryan novels, but I think I just missed it by accident. Also, we've got to read "All My Sons" by Arthur Miller for English. It's possibly one of the few plays in English I've enjoyed reading, and the little TV adaption we've been watching, while a little over the top, is also surprisingly good, mostly because it has James Whitmore (Brooks from the Shawshank Redemption) in it.
Signatures are hard...

The Zelda Geek

I am currently reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan.

It's a pretty good series. I've resently sttarted the final book, The Last Olympian.
So far, there's been a death of a friend of Percy's.

Spoiler:
May Beckendorf rest peacefuly in Elysium.

The series so far is great, with good action and great comedy. I defenetly recommend it.

I'm planning on getting a Nook for Christmas, and I want to try to get my hands on some Japanese literature. The Tale Of Genji is one I REALLY want to read.

Hunger Games anybody?!
What about the Maze Runner Series????!!!!
IDK about you, but I like the main character in Maze Runner......he seems like he would be kinda cute ;D

Last edited by Tie-Die on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

let's just tell them that we met in jail

Tie-Die wrote:
Hunger Games anybody?!

Love it. But Mockingbird was a bit of a massacre ...

I bought Sherlock: A Study In Scarlet yesterday. It's to accompany the BBC series, and it's a modernised version of the original. It's good, but ... I prefer the old text. XD But at least it doesn't have silly little numbers over every little victorian word like my other copy. :D

I also got the latest in the Skulduggery Pleasant series, Death Bringer. I know, I know, it's a children's book, but it's got a lot darker lately. It's good so far, I'm on chapter five.

We also attacked the Oxfam charity shop and got Clockwork Angel, two Darren Shan books -meeting him on Tuesday!- and some weird mangas that look about 20 years old. They're entirely in Japanese and called Neko Neko Fantasia. Has anyone heard of them?
art by blue

Call me Ishmael.

I'm currently reading a Swedish book by Jonas Jonasson. It's about an old man who escapes from a hospital on his 100th birthday and goes on an adventure. At the same time, we're told about his past. It's witty and reminds me a bit of The Catcher in the Rye.

Previously Cardiovore

CriminalDamage wrote:
two Darren Shan books -meeting him on Tuesday!

I met him a few years ago, he signed my copy of Bec :)
Which two books are those?
Phoenix Wright: The Contempt of Court
FULL GAME AVAILABLE

Cardiovore wrote:
CriminalDamage wrote:

He's coming to our school so we have to buy books in order for him to sign them. :| Is he nice?

I got Bec and Demon Apocalypse. I've already got Demon Thief and Slawter, so I'm getting to the whole series! I might buy Lord Loss tomorrow.
art by blue

Previously Cardiovore

CriminalDamage wrote:
Cardiovore wrote:
CriminalDamage wrote:

He's coming to our school so we have to buy books in order for him to sign them. :| Is he nice?

I got Bec and Demon Apocalypse. I've already got Demon Thief and Slawter, so I'm getting to the whole series! I might buy Lord Loss tomorrow.

Yeah he's really friendly :)
Awesome, I've read pretty much everything by him (including The City trilogy), now reading the Larten Crepsley saga. The new one's just come out but I haven't got it yet.
FULL GAME AVAILABLE

Cardiovore wrote:
Yeah he's really friendly :)
Awesome, I've read pretty much everything by him (including The City trilogy), now reading the Larten Crepsley saga. The new one's just come out but I haven't got it yet.

He is! I bought a copy of The Thin Executioner and he signed it for me~
Spoiler: A picture, if you wanted to see.
I'd be a great executioner.

I've read most of what he's published, apart from the World Book Day short story and The City Trilogy.

I've got the first Larten Crepsley book out of the Library but I haven't started it yet. I will, though!

I actually got him to say the words 'very angry beaver'. :D
art by blue

Previously Cardiovore

CriminalDamage wrote:
He is! I bought a copy of The Thin Executioner and he signed it for me~
Spoiler: A picture, if you wanted to see.
I'd be a great executioner.

I've read most of what he's published, apart from the World Book Day short story and The City Trilogy.

I've got the first Larten Crepsley book out of the Library but I haven't started it yet. I will, though!

I actually got him to say the words 'very angry beaver'. :D

Lol that's him all right xD

Yeah Koyasan's the only one I haven't read. The City's a good series, I based my illustration exhibition for college on it.
FULL GAME AVAILABLE
Page 10 of 11 [ 435 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices