Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 31 posts ]

Games Section Rules and FAQ (No more MB's casemaker threads)Topic%20Title

nuuuuu, stoooooop

It has come to the mods' attention that we need some stricter guidelines in this particular subsection, so here they are, effective immediately.

Creating Threads

Since this section is for people working on fan game, there ought to only be two types of threads in it: "I am making a game" or "I have a casemaker." If you have an idea for a case you're making, here is a brief posting guideline that we suggest you follow. You don't have to do it exactly in this format, but if you can't describe your status in the following areas, you may need to rethink how ready you are to actually start making a case. Remember, if you're trying to attract help to your cause, you need to present yourself as organized and confident - no one wants to put their effort into helping a case that has little chance of being finished.

Title: What is your project called?
Project Head: Who is the project leader? If you started the thread it's easy to assume it's you, of course.
Current Contributers: Who has been signed on already? Are you doing it all yourself?
Which Casemaker: Which casemaker are you using? Please do you homework and decide for yourself which is best for you before making a thread, if at all possible. There will be a guide below to help you do this.

What I Have: What part of the case has been finished so far?
What I Need: What help do you need from other forumers?

As examples, here are the most common areas that make up a fancase:

Scripting: The story and dialogue, written out
Spriting: Original sprites, or canon character sprites formatted to whichever casemaker you're using.
Programming: Writing the actual code
Editing: Someone to look over and correct your work

Status: How much have you done? A percentage would be nice.

If what you are working on is a game that is NOT a case, you are perfectly welcome to make up a format of your own, but please be very specific about what you have and need.

As for casemaker threads, those are pretty self-explanatory. Each casemaker is allowed one.

Once your post is made, you can give the link to Luke in the Quick Link Thread. If you're looking for more information about the cases people are working on, check the Fan Projects Wiki.

Edit: As some problems have become increasingly prevalent in the last few months, I'd like to lay down the law for some other issues.

First of all, don't post in (or "necromance") old threads if they are not your own. The reason no one has posted in them is likely because they are no longer working on the project. Posting in one will usually end with a lock, and continued necromancing can end up with a warning, followed by a ban.

Secondly, do not create new threads asking for help about MechaBowser's casemaker. MechaBowser was banned from Court Records a long time ago for poor behavior and is no longer updating casemaker. Due to this you are unlikely to get support or bug fixes while using this case maker, if you would like to continue casemaking try one of the other casemakers found here, such as PWlib, Pywright or Ace Attorney Online. Both are supported and much more up to date than MB's casemaker. Any necromanced or new topics about Mechabowser's casemaker will be locked.

Lastly, if you have a specific problem with a casemaker post in that casemaker's thread, I don't want easily answered questions cluttering up the board.

Posting In Threads

Every rule that applies to the rest of the board applies in here: no flaming, no adult content (If you decided to make your very own Phoenix Drive 2 you would not be able to post dirty screenshots here, sorry), no trolling, stay on topic. But we're also adding one extra rule for this section specifically at the request of the masses: No arguing over which casemaker is better. No debate on the subject has ever reached a conclusion, because they are all very fine and it's up to the individual which they feel most comfortable using. In fact, there is no reason for a casemaker creator to go into the thread of someone not using their program unless it is simply to offer assistance or encouragement on the case itself. Pestering or bickering on the subject is not allowed and will be deleted.

We have Ceres as our new Fanworks mod but I'll also be keeping a special eye on this section over the next few days to make sure this is enforced.

Casemaker Checklist

This part is not yet complete, but ideally I'd like to have a list of questions that someone just starting out on their project can use to help them decide which casemaker is best for them. The Wiki has a Comparison Chart for the makers but the technical specifications don't always mean much to the common user.

Some examples:

Which casemaker will let me use custom made sprites? (PWLib, PyWright, Ace Attorney Online, Ace Attorney DS)
Which casemaker is the simpliest to use? (Ace Attorney Online??)
Which casemaker should I use if I don't want to work with code? (Ace Attorney Online, LuAA)
Which casemaker should I use if I'm good with code? (PWLib, PyWright)
Which casemaker will let me use 3D evidence? (PWLib, PyWright)
Which casemaker will let me use movies? (PWLib, PyWright)
Which casemaker will let me do investigations? (PWLib, PyWright, Ace Attorney Online, LuAA)
Which casemaker does not require me to download a separate program? (Ace Attorney Online)
Which casemaker will let me use Psyche Locks? (PWLib, PyWright, Ace Attorney Online and LuAA - though without graphics)

Suggestions welcome~

(These only include casemakers that are currently functional, because those are the only ones on CR's main page atm.)

Though of course certain games may require more specific questions answered, which can always be added on a needed basis, like: "Which casemaker will let me have the Judge spring from the bench and punch Phoenix in the face?"

If you would like to help out by suggesting more questions for the checklist or can help me answer those questions, please PM me. Thanks guys~
ImageImage
Re: Games Section Rules and FAQ (not finalized)Topic%20Title

What is my liiiife?!?

I'd also point out that I'm also around to patrol this area for you guys. Because you generally need more than one person in case you have a problem with one of them.

Yes, pywright supports movies (mpeg1 specifically).
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.

No DSis in the courtroom please.

I like these new rules.
Some people ask for help, but don't put what they need help with >.>

And the checklist is nice.
ImageImageImage

Otaku, #1 Machi fan, #2 Machi Fan

AAO actually does support psyche locks, without the graphics. Plus, I think it will have movies soon.

Not sure though.
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOGANT

I hate Klaviema >_>

You could convert short movies to .gifs and add audio...

It'd be a pain though.
ImageImage
ImageImage

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

Actually, RJ, there is a certain software I used a while back to sub a video that had an "Import as animated .gif" option, and then the rest comes with Movie Maker or whatever.

Yo Dawg!

I can be a mod for this particular section if you like, Miss Croik. I often read in the threads regarding games and casemakers.
Re: Games Section Rules and FAQ (No more MB's casemaker threads)Topic%20Title

That lovable troll.

Ace Attorney DS is now known as LuAA. Please fix it.
I remember when CR was cool and Croik was the only one in charge.

I also remember when we used to have respectable members. :(

LuAA Developer

I'm requesting that a rule be brought about casemaker developers being able to post about their casemaker within fancase threads that do not use their engine. Perhaps enforce the fact that every casemaker thread must have an engine in which they are based on to be posted. This helps to halt any chances of drama that may occur from this.

I feel that arrogant behavior such as this should be discouraged, including the harassment of users, through PMs as well, purely based on the fact that the users are not using their engine.

I'm only bringing this up because it kills the community's right to choose the engine they would like to use. Rather than forcing an engine onto someone to use, that someone can easily go to a Casemaker Comparison thread, etc. and choose from their liking.

Examples of this behavior has been brought up several times by a certain someone; I don't feel the need to quote them considering many of us already know what that certain someone has said.

Please consider this as a future enforcement. Thanks.

~ B12CORE.

priceless.

Nyaaaaan~ Moé Powers Go!

Yes, I completely agree with B12Core.

Also, a moderator or administrator was kind enough to sticky the casemaker/fan-project thread I created. Perhaps it can be mentioned somewhere, since people aren't really posting to the thread, and I think with a little extra attention, more fan-games can be revived and shown.

However, this is just my opinion, if there's any difficulties with doing this, then I don't mind at all. I just think it would be nice to see all the ideas people bring with them brought to life.

Thanks!
The dancing Sakura petals; only in such grace do we see the beauty of the world.
Lovely wife PandaPrinzessin, charismatic sons Meenyman and Romeo, and talented daughters Reiji and sparkleranger78.

While we are talking about threads, I created a thread that is being developed by fan game creators called "Making a fan game." It is meant to help new fans get ideas on how to plan and develop their games. If a mod could sticky it as it is quite helpful, that would be great.

Ptapcc

FINE

Croik wrote:
no adult content (If you decided to make your very own Phoenix Drive 2 you would not be able to post dirty screenshots here, sorry).

If a game contains yuri ( a yuri couple, but nothing explicit) does that count as adult material?

AIGE/PWLib Casemaker Developer

I think so, but depending on what level you're thinking.
PWLib 1.2 Under Development

PWLib Casemaker (Version 1.1) at http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8788

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

Auraion wrote:
Croik wrote:
no adult content (If you decided to make your very own Phoenix Drive 2 you would not be able to post dirty screenshots here, sorry).

If a game contains yuri ( a yuri couple, but nothing explicit) does that count as adult material?

It depends if you mean what we all know as "yuri", or just "lesbianism". The first one usually relates to adult material, and the second one doesn't need to, it's just a couple made of two women.

Objectionable

I guess I have one question.. Do any of the current case makers allow for more than one case per game? The project I'm starting to work on will consist of at least two cases (the ones that I currently have planned), and I'd rather not use a separate file for each of them.

((If this is the wrong place, feel free to move it somewhere else, delete it, or whatever you feel like doing.))
This evidence clearly contradicts your claim!

Eumetazoa wrote:
I guess I have one question.. Do any of the current case makers allow for more than one case per game? The project I'm starting to work on will consist of at least two cases (the ones that I currently have planned), and I'd rather not use a separate file for each of them.

((If this is the wrong place, feel free to move it somewhere else, delete it, or whatever you feel like doing.))

Yes, they do. :phoenix:
That one guy from AAO that made about a dozen cases that all kinda go off the deep end and fall apart at one point or another.
Re: Games Section Rules and FAQ (No more MB's casemaker threTopic%20Title

HEARTC☆RE

Is there a Casemaker that lets you create a game like Ace Attorney Investigations? (ie. two characters on screen, the ability to actually move as a character)

my heart is nuclear
love is all that I fear

So far, no. I do remember there being some mention of it in the v6 of AAO, if I'm not mistaken, though. As for two characters on screen at the same time, that should be possible with all casemakers (with AAO it'll take a little more effort, but in practice it should work). :\
That one guy from AAO that made about a dozen cases that all kinda go off the deep end and fall apart at one point or another.

HEARTC☆RE

DudeWithAMask wrote:
I do remember there being some mention of it in the v6 of AAO, if I'm not mistaken, though.

Is there any date of when V6 will be released or not?

my heart is nuclear
love is all that I fear

1000% Knight

Rarar wrote:
DudeWithAMask wrote:
I do remember there being some mention of it in the v6 of AAO, if I'm not mistaken, though.

Actually, AAI-styled investigations is slated to be released in AAO v6.1. AAO v6 is supposed to come out in a few months (no release date yet or anything), and AAO v6.1 will probably come out a while after that, so...

Unless you want to wait a really long time, I think your only option really is to get your own custom engine for it >_>
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

HEARTC☆RE

Bad Player wrote:
Rarar wrote:
DudeWithAMask wrote:

Actually, AAI-styled investigations is slated to be released in AAO v6.1. AAO v6 is supposed to come out in a few months (no release date yet or anything), and AAO v6.1 will probably come out a while after that, so...

Unless you want to wait a really long time, I think your only option really is to get your own custom engine for it >_>

It doesn't really matter now, I'm *kind of* doing it with PyWright.

One question about PyWright - how do you change the image underneath the arrow button? For example, the picture of Nick thinking on the bottom screen in this image. How do you change that? And how do you change the arrow image as well (for example, when you play as Mia, the image changes to Mia and not Phoenix)?

my heart is nuclear
love is all that I fear

Code:
set _bigbutton_bg bg/imagename

^This one's for the background image on the bottom screen. (Replace 'imagename' with the name of the image.)^

Code:
set _bigbutton_img general/buttonpress
set _bigbutton_img_high general/buttonpress_high
set _bigbutton_cross general/cross_exam_buttons

^To change the button graphic.^

HEARTC☆RE

DudeWithAMask wrote:
Code:
set _bigbutton_bg bg/imagename

^This one's for the background image on the bottom screen. (Replace 'imagename' with the name of the image.)^

Code:
set _bigbutton_img general/buttonpress
set _bigbutton_img_high general/buttonpress_high
set _bigbutton_cross general/cross_exam_buttons

^To change the button graphic.^

Thanks so much! :redd:

Um, I have another question. How do you get a picture on PyWright to automatically pan from left to right? [/noob]

my heart is nuclear
love is all that I fear

Heh heh.

Hey, am I allowed to make a thread about my not so great attempt at redoing the DD demo in QuickBasic? Did it over the past week for extra credit and am considering adding graphics to it, once I figure out how... :ron:
So I finally grew a brain and remembered to give myself a signature... Whoopee.
Snackoos IRL. They are delicious and are covered in real chocolate. #so-grateful-I'm-Filipino

Excuse me if I contradict myself. I do that.

Mostly human

Go for it.

Yup. I'm a salmon.

So what about profanity in fan games?
Don't get me wrong, I think it should be used where it's necessary, but are there any rules regarding that?
Could I make a fan game thread on this forum for a game like that as long as the post itself doesn't contain any expletives?

Also, what line do you draw when you say "No adult content"? No nudity, yeah, but is there anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Fate Testarossa

I don't believe there are any rules against profanity. Just keep in mind if you do it on AAO, they have an.... odd policy regarding swearing.

As for adult content, I can't really help there.

Fate is made by クロス

1000% Knight

IronicSalmon wrote:
So what about profanity in fan games?
Don't get me wrong, I think it should be used where it's necessary, but are there any rules regarding that?
Could I make a fan game thread on this forum for a game like that as long as the post itself doesn't contain any expletives?

Also, what line do you draw when you say "No adult content"? No nudity, yeah, but is there anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

You can do whatever you want with your game. Just make sure there's nothing bad in the descriptions/screenshots in the thread, and put appropriate content warnings about what your game contains.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Yup. I'm a salmon.

Alright. Thank you, I just wanted to be sure.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Question, is this board only meant for games in the style of Ace Attorney, or are games more like Professor Layton allowed too?

If not, which board would one need to go to for posting a Layton-esque game?
Page 1 of 1 [ 31 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games