Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 1 of 3[ 107 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sub or dub?Topic%20Title

In Justice We Trust

When dealing with any show or movie not originally written in your native language, there are two choices: keep the original language but have subtitles available in other languages (subbing), or have voice actors go over the lines in other languages (dubbing).

From what little I've seen, the former tends to be more popular, often due to lackluster performances by a dub's voice actors (this particular problem also shows itself in some video games). However, at the same time, there are some dubs that the actors manage to pull off. In addition, there are some people who just have trouble with subtitles; the subtitles have the potential to divert the viewers' attention from whatever's on-screen at the time; for some people, such as myself, the subtitles are a small diversion, but for others, at least one close friend of mine included, focusing on the action and the subtitles simultaneously is next to impossible. For these people, a dub is the only option short of learning the language. Also, as a number of native speakers of the work's original language can probably attest to, watching the original language with subtitles can lead viewers to think they know more of the language than they actually do.

That said, I wanted to see what Court Records thinks. Do you prefer subtitles and the original language, or dubs in your native language?

I almost always prefer subtitles, usually to avoid an inferior voice performance in the dub. It can also be helpful if I'm trying to learn the language, as is the case with Russian--though, obviously, such an approach is best carried out in conjunction with more conventional methods of learning the language, such as formal classes.
I'll always love you, Max.
Re: Sub or dub?Topic%20Title

Yo Dawg!

As far as anime goes, in most cases I prefer the subbed versions. I prefer a more authentic viewing experience. Plus, the original voice acting is 9 times out of 10 much better than dubbed voice acting, and the names and native words are pronounced properly.

Although, sometimes I will prefer a dub if a sub is done poorly, such as being translated to english words, but not using proper grammar. I've had that happen before.

There were also some cases in which the text of the sub and dialogue of the dub were pretty close to being the same, in which case I chose the dub (due to the fact that subtitles can be distracting especially in action scenes). Unless I couldn't stand the voices in the dub, in which case I chose the sub.

Most of the time I will choose the sub.

The Midnight Lurker

I often prefer dubs over subs because usually the stuff I watch/play is dubbed very well to the point that it's as good, if not, better than the original. I don't mind reading subs though and will have subs instead if the voice acting sucks.

FINE

The title reminded me of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuS7TrbGOdI

I don't watch much anime, but I prefer subbed.

as for movies, dubbed, sometimes with subtitles for when I want to practice english

Jammin' like it's 2024

Depends on what I'm watching and which language makes the most sense in the context of the show, which I feel is the smartest way to approach this issue.

Funnily enough this means I watch dubs more often than not.
Does we even do these things anymore?

If I watched anime, I'd only watch it dubbed. Wouldn't want to miss out on watching the pretty drawings and I'm too lazy to read a cartoon.

Otherwise, subbed. Then I can do bad impressions of the actors.
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

Gettin' Old!

Depends on the quality of both really.
Looking at Dragonball Z's voice acting in Japanese Goku is the single most irritating being in the universe whereas the English dub is fine.

But I dunno, by default if both dubs were of equal quality I'd probably watch English cause I'm not a weeaboo

If I have to watch it in Japanese with subtitles it means I must give it my due attention since it would be so easy to miss something meaning simple things like talking on my laptop or playing a handheld device are much more difficult.

So therefore pro-English dub (with subtitles for good measure) since I can multitask effectively with it.

Plus I've never really heard any atrocious english dubs (or at least haven't judged them as atrocious) except...for....THIS
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Call me Ishmael.

Depends on what I'm watching. For example, I see no reason to watch Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva in Japanese since the dub uses the voice acting from the games. Generally I prefer subs though, but there are some good dubs out there.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

I'm bad at puzzle solving..

I prefer subbed, because I can hear the anime the way it was meant to sound.
Professor Layton & The Lost Future. Best game ever.

I live everywhere and nowhere, usually as Kumori. My YouTube is 'WoodULikeSumCatFood', shamelessly ripped from a friend of mine.

Anime = Dubbed.
Live action = Subbed.

The Real Human Being

When I read this, I thought it was about Dubstep.

I prefer watching everything in subtitles so I am indifferent to Sub or Dub.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

I usually prefer dubs. That might just because the dubs I did watch are good though. Sometimes if I really like an anime, I watch both the subs and dubs just to see which one I like more. For example, I much prefer Code Geass's dub over its sub. Probably because the dub makes more sense within the universe's own context (seriously, if you're going to make an anime about a Western-based empire who's oppressing the Japanese then why have that very same empire speak Japanese?). Code Geass just works much better in English than in Japanese. Hetalia's dub is also much better than the original version mainly because it incorporates foreign accents and is actually much more funny.

When an anime doesn't have a dub though, I'm perfectly fine with watching the subs if the anime really catches my interest.

With Pokemon I watch both the dubs and the subs. First I watch the subs so I can pay attention to whatever story they've got going and then I watch the dubbed version to look at the battling and stuff.

In fact, I think the only dubbed anime I ever truly didn't like compared to the sub is for the Kirby anime. Ugh. They were trying to make Kirby like the next Pokemon but they completely failed. WE COULD HAVE HAD KIRBY TOYS IN THE MAINSTREAM, THANKS 4KIDS.

It's weird though, when I watch movies, I always watch them in English subtitles because often with movies, I sometimes wanna know exactly what people are saying.
Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

Just another day.

subbed...there has been times where ive liked a dub...but only one or two cases where I liked it more then the original.

The one and only

I generally prefer the subbed versions. However, I hate it when the subs were being made poorly. (Like those ugly, yellow subs for Yu-Gi-Oh! DM. Oh, those subs. They are like 5% accurate and don't even make any sense. Luckily though, my Japanese is good enough to watch YGO without subtitles.)
The voice acting is usually better in the original versions. Once, I accidentally started watching a Samurai Champloo episode in English and was shocked what they did to it. The same goes for Digimon and Bamboo Blade.
Of course, there are some parts in dubs that aren't bad. Goku's english voice, for example, is very fitting, but I also do like his japanese one! Frieza's voice however... well, let's not talk about it.

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Whichever version has the better VAs.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Nyaaaaan~ Moé Powers Go!

I feel dubs are almost always a disgrace to the original seiyuus. There are rare cases such as Fullmetal Alchemist, but these are quite rare for me. As forementioned, bad subtitles also ruin a show. 99% of the time, I'll watch it subbed.
The dancing Sakura petals; only in such grace do we see the beauty of the world.
Lovely wife PandaPrinzessin, charismatic sons Meenyman and Romeo, and talented daughters Reiji and sparkleranger78.

earthlings on fire

Generally I do prefer dubbed, though if I've already seen the anime subbed I often don't really like the dub as much unless it's really good. If there's only a sub for that show, I'll watch it without an issue but I find when shows are dubbed I get into them more. I don't mind reading subtitles but when the show is in English I find it all the more immersing. I found this the case with Higurashi/When They Cry, despite the semi-painful dub the first few episodes had. You just get used to the voices.

I know I'm definitely in the minority by wanting to watch dubs over subs but I think the English versions have definitely come a long way from what they were. Like Ouran High's dub, that was awesome. Death Note's dub was good too (Alessandro Juliani is a god I swear). And I'm ridiculously in love with J. Michael Tatum's voice. :karma:

And I would never watch a BL anime dubbed dear lord no D:
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Captain Ascot and the Survey Corps!

I used to watch mainly subs, but now I've switched to mainly dubs, especially for Rebuild of Evangelion. Spike Spencer just seems to be the perfect Shinji. Whereas I watched the original series subbed, preferred it to the dub. Some series have great voice acting in both, and others have terrible voice acting in both, just a case offinding the version I like most.

The Chocolateholic of CR

I like dubs better than subs. Enough said for me.
The Dragovian King and Captain Of The Ragnarok Ship and Owner of The Ragnarok Ranch.
I'm a ♌ since 1990 of August 10th. Better Recognize.
3DS FC:2535-5065-3560

The Real Human Being

The Twisted Samurai

It´s a very true fact that almost any German dub sucks major balls, that´s why I am gonna stick to just German subs, even though english subs are better, after all, you can learn more of them.
"The hammer that strikes too fast has no time to aim."

Gettin' Old!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi2hIop9e7c

Dubbing is hilarious when done badly.
Yes it's supposed to be English.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The Chocolateholic of CR

English dub is better to my view because it has good actors. I mean in Japanese they use the same actors like idk how many times. English dub is different actors.
The Dragovian King and Captain Of The Ragnarok Ship and Owner of The Ragnarok Ranch.

Gettin' Old!

Anthony wrote:
English dub is better to my view because it has good actors. I mean in Japanese they use the same actors like idk how many times. English dub is different actors.

I'd don't know about that. Got things with lots of folks in it like CHRISTOPHER ROBIN MILLER, Johnny Yong Bosch, God damned Quintin Flynn who is in about everything.

English dubs are just as guilty of reusing voice actors.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The Chocolateholic of CR

Pierre wrote:
Anthony wrote:

I'd don't know about that. Got things with lots of folks in it like CHRISTOPHER ROBIN MILLER, Johnny Yong Bosch, God damned Quinton Flynn who is in about everything.

Hey Johnny Yong Bosch and Quinton Flynn are some fucking good voice actors. And why you be hating one of the actors who was in Power Rangers. :/

And corrected your spelling of Quinton's first name.

Gettin' Old!

Anthony wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Anthony wrote:

I'd don't know about that. Got things with lots of folks in it like CHRISTOPHER ROBIN MILLER, Johnny Yong Bosch, God damned Quinton Flynn who is in about everything.

Hey Johnny Yong Bosch and Quinton Flynn are some fucking good voice actors. And why you be hating one of the actors who was in Power Rangers. :/

And corrected your spelling of Quinton's first name.

Thanks, I tend to mess up my i's and e's in situations like that.

And I wasn't bashing them just saying that English voice actors get around a lot as well and reused all over, John DiMaggio too is in lotsa places and games.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I'm just here for the Butterbeer.

Anime's the only thing where I really make a conscious decision between sub and dub, so I'll just address that...
Like others have said before me, it depends on the show. I usually give both the subbed and dubbed a try, but sometimes the first language I heard it in becomes the "better" one because it's the one I'm familiar with. For some, the sub and dub feel like they're on par (I love Romi Paku's Ed voice in FMA, but I also love Vic Mignogna's Ed voice. They each give a different attitude for the character, yet they both feel fitting.) Sometimes one bad voice can ruin that series for me; I haven't decided on Durarara!! yet because a lot of the characters' voices sound great, but Mikado's... eh. For Persona 4, I can't wait for the dubbed anime, because although I've been getting used to the subbed episodes, I'm just too used to the English VA's.

So yeah, it all depends. One downside (or upside? Depends on what you think of the VA's) is that they use the same voices over and over for the English animes. I feel like they have more voice actors to call on in Japan than they do over here (or at least, the VA's they choose are very good at using different "voices" for different characters).

Gettin' Old!

Jade wrote:
Anime's the only thing where I really make a conscious decision between sub and dub, so I'll just address that...
Like others have said before me, it depends on the show. I usually give both the subbed and dubbed a try, but sometimes the first language I heard it in becomes the "better" one because it's the one I'm familiar with. For some, the sub and dub feel like they're on par (I love Romi Paku's Ed voice in FMA, but I also love Vic Mignogna's Ed voice. They each give a different attitude for the character, yet they both feel fitting.) Sometimes one bad voice can ruin that series for me; I haven't decided on Durarara!! yet because a lot of the characters' voices sound great, but Mikado's... eh. For Persona 4, I can't wait for the dubbed anime, because although I've been getting used to the subbed episodes, I'm just too used to the English VA's.

So yeah, it all depends. One downside (or upside? Depends on what you think of the VA's) is that they use the same voices over and over for the English animes. I feel like they have more voice actors to call on in Japan than they do over here (or at least, the VA's they choose are very good at using different "voices" for different characters).

You know there's a chance that the original actors might not even be doing the voices in the English dub of Persona anime?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The Chocolateholic of CR

Jade wrote:

Well Vic Mignonga's voice did Match with Ikkaku's additude In Bleach just like in the Japanese. And due to Ikakku's Lucky Dance that song will forever be stuck in my head once I hear it over and over and over XD

The Real Human Being

Black people

Dracarys!

I usually prefer subtitles. I don't find them to be too much of a distraction.

GOD! MY! OH!

them raws are best

I'm just here for the Butterbeer.

Pierre wrote:

You know there's a chance that the original actors might not even be doing the voices in the English dub of Persona anime?

That's a good point, which is why I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they'll still be there. I mean, the voice actors in P4 are usually called on for a lot of other dubbed shows, so that's why I feel like they'll be back for the show, but there's nothing official yet.

A Defense Attorney

For me it depends on the voices. I prefer subbed though. But sometime dubbed version of the anime can sometime match the native version of the anime. But most of the time the original are usually better then dubbed. :edgy:
Thanks to Yuuso for making this awesome signature and avatar!

The Bitch Prosecutor

I'm usually 50/50 with subs and dubs. For example, with Miyazaki's anime films, the English voice actors they pick are just astounding, and I prefer to watch the movie with the dub over the sub. Save for Ponyo, but that's just because both the sub and the dub are terrible. I also watch Hellsing: Ultimate in English, because they have pretty well-known voice actors in there, such as Crispin Freeman and Kari Whalberg, who are in popular video games.

As for the rest of my anime (Kuroshitsuji, Bleach - I don't watch the new stuff because it's trash, but the old episodes, Death Note), I like to watch in the original Japanese. Like others have said, it gives it a more authentic feel.
"Perhaps a fifth person came and took it out? Oh, and a sixth person could've helped!"- Kristoph Gavin

Image <---- The Coolest Defense in the West.

Gettin' Old!

Aww man but Ponyo's got LIAM NEESON in it's dub.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The Bitch Prosecutor

Pierre wrote:
Aww man but Ponyo's got LIAM NEESON in it's dub.

HE WAS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER. OH MY GOD.
"Perhaps a fifth person came and took it out? Oh, and a sixth person could've helped!"- Kristoph Gavin

Image <---- The Coolest Defense in the West.

The Chocolateholic of CR

I sometimes watch the subs but only when I feel like it. o.o

Holy whack! Unlyrical lyrics Andre

Subbed definately, because most of the time the voice actors sound like shit (NARUTO).
Image Image

Former anti-shipper

I lile dubs. I like VA's.

I LIKE 4KIDS!

GET! OVER! IT!
Thanks to PandaPrinzessin for the amazing signature.

I am SomariFeyWright, the freaky and happy shipper-hating son of ToonBlade and Franzika Von ehmpke5, and brother of bethanyann96, Game Over, and >Mario.<
Page 1 of 3 [ 107 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios