"I just want to know one thing"

Come Gumshoe, the game, 'Ace Attorney Investigations', is afoot.
Post Reply
Addikt
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2566
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:29 am
Custom Title: (ace attorney gremlin mode activated)

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Addikt »

Spoiler: AAI - Case 4 spoiler
Ok, does anyone know what von Karma means when he says to Edgeworth at the beginning of AAI - 4 "Disgracing yourself as Faraday has will not be forgiven"? Is he trying to tell Edgeworth that messing up as Faraday did would be disgraceful? Or something different?

I know it's probably just a minor translation error but this is more than slightly bothering me.

Also, how do you pronounce NORGGOOOOOON (or any of Edgeworth's exclimations)? ... Because that just sounds extremely weird in my head and I hope that Edgeworth's sounds sound more dignified out loud than on paper.
My (not spoiler-free) Ace Attorney doodle blog
Regy Rusty
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:51 pm
Custom Title: PCHOOO

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Regy Rusty »

I'm not sure what "translation error" you're seeing there. It does mean what you wrote after the quote.
Addikt
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2566
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:29 am
Custom Title: (ace attorney gremlin mode activated)

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Addikt »

Ugh, Ok, just seems that is was worded in a confusing way. Enough that everyone I showed it to couldn't understand it either.

Thanks :)
My (not spoiler-free) Ace Attorney doodle blog
Croik
Admin
Admin
Posts: 5255
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:16 am
Custom Title: nuuuuu, stoooooop
Location: America
Contact:

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Croik »

I can see where you might have been confused, but yes, it is proper English. If you wrote it out more precisely it would be:

Spoiler:
"Disgracing yourself as Faraday has disgraced himself will not be forgiven." I.E. don't get yourself accused of murder by your own suspect!
ImageImage
major_pw_fan
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Huddersfield

case 3 *spoilers*

Post by major_pw_fan »

Spoiler: case 3
later on in the last case lauren confesses that she killed oliver decon in the stadium yet his body is found in the garage in another area of the park wouldnt she think , "wait why is his body here i killed him but didnt put it here", what gives
OBJECTION " i objection this is objectionable"

OBJECTION " i object to the witnesses talkitiveness"
DoMaya
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3481
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:53 pm
Custom Title: The Real Human Being

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by DoMaya »

I have a question about AAI.

Spoiler: Is he?
Image
Image
Icarus
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:14 am
Custom Title: Mipeltaja = the real badass
Location: That one place. No, not that place, the other place.

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Icarus »

DoMaya wrote:I have a question about AAI.

Spoiler: Is he?
Image


Course, dawg, otherwise he woulda tapped dat skinny flight attendant's fine ass.
Billie Jean is not my lover.
Image
Croik
Admin
Admin
Posts: 5255
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:16 am
Custom Title: nuuuuu, stoooooop
Location: America
Contact:

Re: case 3 *spoilers*

Post by Croik »

major_pw_fan wrote:
Spoiler: case 3
later on in the last case lauren confesses that she killed oliver decon in the stadium yet his body is found in the garage in another area of the park wouldnt she think , "wait why is his body here i killed him but didnt put it here", what gives


Spoiler:
She's obviously not one prone to much thinking.
ImageImage
Denn1s
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Denn1s »

Spoiler: case 2
In the Character files of CR, it says that Akbey Hicks's name comes from yawn and hiccup, but since he is an Interpol agent, could it also come that it's almost pronounced as 'icks', as in Agent X?
Marche Tobaye
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:16 pm
Custom Title: Call me Ishmael.
Location: Sweden

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Marche Tobaye »

Is it true that there is no "standard" game over scenario, like in Hotel Dusk and Last Window? I mean, as opposed to the judge declaring a guilty verdict in AA1-4.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247
Tifforo
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Tifforo »

Marche Tobaye wrote:Is it true that there is no "standard" game over scenario, like in Hotel Dusk and Last Window? I mean, as opposed to the judge declaring a guilty verdict in AA1-4.


The game overs vary in terms of which innocent person gets put on trial and whatnot, but they all end with Edgeworth saying something like "the truth was lost forever."

You won't be seeing them much, though, because aside from the later portions of the last case and one difficult set of cross-examinations in the third case, it's the easiest Ace Attorney game. The mysteries are still fairly complicated, but the game gives you pretty good hints and you can only get 10% of your life off with each penalty.
Spoiler:
Except for a few 20% penalties near the end.
Tohno_Shiki
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:00 pm
Custom Title: 「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
Location: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Contact:

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Tohno_Shiki »

Sorry to be reviving an old thread (especially since the second game is about to come out, or already out), but I need to ask something that's been nagging at me since I first played this. Spoilering just to be safe.

Spoiler:
What the hell are the meanings/puns with several characters from the game? There's a few that are rather obvious (Jacques Portsman, Buddy Faith, Mack Rell, Deid Mann, Lauren Paups, et al), but there's a couple ones I STILL don't get. Such as Allebahst (wtf), Babahl (wtfwtf) and Cohdopia (WTF).
If videogames make murderers, then guns kill people and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
http://i.imgur.com/HDUaH.gif
My repos | MyAnimeList | My revived Ace Attorney Pairing Generator
zachariah Von-Karma
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:17 pm
Custom Title: prosecuting never looked so good ;)
Location: spain (UK origin)

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by zachariah Von-Karma »

Shiki Tohno wrote:Sorry to be reviving an old thread (especially since the second game is about to come out, or already out), but I need to ask something that's been nagging at me since I first played this. Spoilering just to be safe.

Spoiler:
What the hell are the meanings/puns with several characters from the game? There's a few that are rather obvious (Jacques Portsman, Buddy Faith, Mack Rell, Deid Mann, Lauren Paups, et al), but there's a couple ones I STILL don't get. Such as Allebahst (wtf), Babahl (wtfwtf) and Cohdopia (WTF).


I dont think the names of the countries were supposed to be jokes, but were made up to sound real yet not similar to any pre-existing countries.

Although at a long shot to try and come up with a pun for the names
Allebahst= all the best (referrence to Alba thinking he is best)
Babahl= babble (due to Colias constantly babbling about coupons)
Cohdopia= double country (mixing the words couple and double forshadowing the eventual split.)

these are just ideas. if anyone has any better ideas then please say them.
When life gives you lemons, leave them and get a lollipop instead.

CHOO CHOO! ALL ABOARD THE HYPE EXPRESS!
Alunissage
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:40 pm
Custom Title: Culinarily suggestible

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Alunissage »

"Allebahst" made me think of "alabaster", which is white -- going with Alba, which of course means "white". That might work with Babahl/babble for matching the ambassadors.

Cohdopia made me think of co + -topia (as in utopia, dystopia), co-country.

The initials are A + B = C. *shrug*

On a different naming note, the instant I saw Cammy Meele in the game I thought of "chameleon", protective coloration, and thus instantly suspicious. But then, I associate chamomile tea more with colds than with sleepiness, so that never occurred to me.
P.B. Crudstache
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:37 pm
Custom Title: Too bad. Waluigi Time.
Location: 667 Dark Avenue

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by P.B. Crudstache »

Just wondering
Spoiler: Case 3, Case 5
Did Ernest Amano really buy the haunted house, or just forge the papers? Also, did he know Alba from the smuggling ring?
Sorry if this has already been posted.
IHATECLOUD
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:09 pm
Custom Title: The Bitch Prosecutor
Location: Hobohodo's cardboard box.
Contact:

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by IHATECLOUD »

Detective Luke Atmey wrote:Just wondering
Spoiler: Case 3, Case 5
Did Ernest Amano really buy the haunted house, or just forge the papers? Also, did he know Alba from the smuggling ring?
Sorry if this has already been posted.


I'm pretty sure he could have done either with the papers, since he had the forensics team at his disposal, so he could have had someone else he knew forge the papers. He could have been a great dad and bought the papers too. I'm leaning towards the former, since he was in a smuggling ring and all. And I don't think he knew Alba, because I thought I remember one of the characters saying that they didn't know who their boss was, they just received the orders through the calling cards. I'd have to play Investigations again, though.
"Perhaps a fifth person came and took it out? Oh, and a sixth person could've helped!"- Kristoph Gavin
Image <---- The Coolest Defense in the West.
P.B. Crudstache
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:37 pm
Custom Title: Too bad. Waluigi Time.
Location: 667 Dark Avenue

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by P.B. Crudstache »

Shiki Tohno wrote:Sorry to be reviving an old thread (especially since the second game is about to come out, or already out), but I need to ask something that's been nagging at me since I first played this. Spoilering just to be safe.

Spoiler:
What the hell are the meanings/puns with several characters from the game? There's a few that are rather obvious (Jacques Portsman, Buddy Faith, Mack Rell, Deid Mann, Lauren Paups, et al), but there's a couple ones I STILL don't get. Such as Allebahst (wtf), Babahl (wtfwtf) and Cohdopia (WTF).


I agree with Babahl-Babble, but couldn't Allebahst be made to sound like Alba's? He is after all ambassador for that country. I got no idea what Cohdopia is.
IHATECLOUD
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:09 pm
Custom Title: The Bitch Prosecutor
Location: Hobohodo's cardboard box.
Contact:

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by IHATECLOUD »

Detective Luke Atmey wrote:
Shiki Tohno wrote:Sorry to be reviving an old thread (especially since the second game is about to come out, or already out), but I need to ask something that's been nagging at me since I first played this. Spoilering just to be safe.

Spoiler:
What the hell are the meanings/puns with several characters from the game? There's a few that are rather obvious (Jacques Portsman, Buddy Faith, Mack Rell, Deid Mann, Lauren Paups, et al), but there's a couple ones I STILL don't get. Such as Allebahst (wtf), Babahl (wtfwtf) and Cohdopia (WTF).


I agree with Babahl-Babble, but couldn't Allebahst be made to sound like Alba's? He is after all ambassador for that country. I got no idea what Cohdopia is.


Quercus Alba's name literally means "white oak", because that's the name of... well, white oak! So I'm pretty sure Allebahst is related to "alabaster" and it's whiteness.
"Perhaps a fifth person came and took it out? Oh, and a sixth person could've helped!"- Kristoph Gavin
Image <---- The Coolest Defense in the West.
EdgeworthxOldbag
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:27 pm
Custom Title: I can't be the only one with this ship?

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by EdgeworthxOldbag »

Spoiler: case 1
I have a, in the first case, Gumshoe is considered to the killer because they thought Buddy(the vitcim) wrote his name on the casefile books. But what Portsman didn't expect is that Badd would come in and steal one of those books. This proves his innocence because he wouldn't be dumb enough to take a book with a name bloodily written on it and ignore the others. I'm just thinking if Badd never comes in they day, wouldn't have Gumshoe been screwed?
CatMuto
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 9918
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by CatMuto »

EdgeworthxOldbag wrote:
Spoiler: case 1
I have a, in the first case, Gumshoe is considered to the killer because they thought Buddy(the vitcim) wrote his name on the casefile books. But what Portsman didn't expect is that Badd would come in and steal one of those books. This proves his innocence because he wouldn't be dumb enough to take a book with a name bloodily written on it and ignore the others. I'm just thinking if Badd never comes in they day, wouldn't have Gumshoe been screwed?
Plot Convenience.
Sure it would've ended badly, but it is also very likely that Edgeworth could've gotten him out of a predicament as well. It's been a few months since I've replayed the Case, so my memory might be a bit off about details...

C-A
Image
Image
ekree
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:37 pm
Custom Title: 100% whole grain, now with added fiber!
Location: America

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by ekree »

EdgeworthxOldbag wrote:
Spoiler: case 1
I have a, in the first case, Gumshoe is considered to the killer because they thought Buddy(the vitcim) wrote his name on the casefile books. But what Portsman didn't expect is that Badd would come in and steal one of those books. This proves his innocence because he wouldn't be dumb enough to take a book with a name bloodily written on it and ignore the others. I'm just thinking if Badd never comes in they day, wouldn't have Gumshoe been screwed?
Spoiler:
Yeah, pretty much. Portsman probably would've had him arrested immediately, and Edgeworth wouldn't have had enough time to figure everything out. Not to mention all that business with Maggey wouldn't have even happened, which ended up giving Edgey a few important clues IIRC.
ImageImage
Voodoo Lady
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:42 am
Custom Title: Boogy-oogy-oogy-oogy
Location: USA

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Voodoo Lady »

Who's the guy in the Proto Badger costume in case 3? The dialogue would seem to indicate that he's a recurring character but I can't figure out who he is.
Voodoo Sprites
I do some graphics for Conflict of Interest.
Bad Player
Moderators
Moderators
Posts: 6932
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm
Custom Title: 1000% Knight

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Bad Player »

Supposedly the Bellboy.
Image
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!
Church Of Sumire
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 6446
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 am

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Church Of Sumire »

Bad Player wrote:Supposedly the Bellboy.
what makes you say the bellboy?
Jean Descole
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2859
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm
Custom Title: The cape is self-fluttering
Location: The Bostonius

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Jean Descole »

Inspector Cabanela wrote:
Bad Player wrote:Supposedly the Bellboy.
what makes you say the bellboy?
He drops an "Ab-SO-lutely" some time during his conversation with Edgeworth, IIRC.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava
Image
...NAILED IT
Church Of Sumire
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 6446
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 am

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Church Of Sumire »

Adrian in black wrote:
Inspector Cabanela wrote:
Bad Player wrote:Supposedly the Bellboy.
what makes you say the bellboy?
He drops an "Ab-SO-lutely" some time during his conversation with Edgeworth, IIRC.
im playing that case right now im gonna check it out :yogi:
Church Of Sumire
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 6446
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 am

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Church Of Sumire »

Adrian in black wrote:
Inspector Cabanela wrote:
Bad Player wrote:Supposedly the Bellboy.
what makes you say the bellboy?
He drops an "Ab-SO-lutely" some time during his conversation with Edgeworth, IIRC.
Just noticed it also plus another thing the way he bows when speaking to edgeworth
Spoiler:
Image the Bow
Sir Duke
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:30 am
Custom Title: The King of All

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Sir Duke »

Spoiler:
why does Edgeworth give Gummy a raise at the end?
The king of all, Sir Duke
Going for Miles
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7747
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
Location: Sweden

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Going for Miles »

What I'd like to know is more why he hasn't done so earlier.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
WaitingforGodot
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am
Custom Title: [Whip the cream!]
Location: Sweden

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by WaitingforGodot »

GoingforMiles wrote:What I'd like to know is more why he hasn't done so earlier.
Oui. :edgey: :edgey:
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
shippersdreamer
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 10:08 pm
Custom Title: Your Honor! There is a contradiction!
Location: Northern California

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by shippersdreamer »

WaitingforGodot wrote:
GoingforMiles wrote:What I'd like to know is more why he hasn't done so earlier.
Oui. :edgey: :edgey:
I don't think that's ENTIRELY his fault (it's still partially), but Gumshoe's salary is reviewed and handled by more than just Edgeworth alone...but yeah I really have no idea why he hasn't done this before. (Although maybe he just kept Gumshoe from getting fired all the time idk)
Going for Miles
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7747
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
Location: Sweden

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Going for Miles »

True, but every ipsy pipsy little bit Gumshoe does wrong he comes and threatens to cut his salary, at this point it has gone from annoying to plain sad. And he has helped Gumshoe from getting fired at least once, saying firing Gumshoe would be aloss for th entire socety or something like that :edgey:
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by JesusMonroe »

The fact that the salary joke was constantly recurring and beaten into the ground made it all the more sweet when the end of GK2 happened. I think I cried a little
Sir Duke
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:30 am
Custom Title: The King of All

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Sir Duke »

JesusMonroe wrote:The fact that the salary joke was constantly recurring and beaten into the ground made it all the more sweet when the end of GK2 happened. I think I cried a little
But why did it happen?
The king of all, Sir Duke
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by JesusMonroe »

Spoiler: Vague GK2
Edgeworth realizes how hard he's been pressing Gumshoe and Gumshoe works extra hard during the last case
Spoiler: More Specific
Gumshoe finds the evidence that connects Shimon's kidnapping, the storage for Ou's corpse, and the Berry Big Circus. In short, it screws The Mastermind over
RPGamerX
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:17 pm
Custom Title: Caring for misc things

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by RPGamerX »

Oops Wrong thread
Going for Miles
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7747
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
Location: Sweden

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Going for Miles »

Nicer post
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Nearavex
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 pm
Custom Title: Y'know

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Nearavex »

Nicest post.
 
WaitingforGodot
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am
Custom Title: [Whip the cream!]
Location: Sweden

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by WaitingforGodot »

Quite alright post, but I've seen better.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
Pierre
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 14363
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm
Custom Title: Gettin' Old!
Location: Scotland

Re: "I just want to know one thing"

Post by Pierre »

I need help on case 4 of gk2
Spoiler: Vague as I can be
Justine is questioning me about the stab wounds saying they killed the victim quickly. I need to find a way to either prove the stab wounds aren't fatal or that the victim was alive a while after the stab. I have a number of theories in my head but every time I mput them forward I just get penalties its infuriating. Its getting to the point where I am just throwing evidence out there in the hope it catches
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image
You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Post Reply