Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 2 of 3[ 107 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: Sub or dub?Topic%20Title

Subs! I can't do dubs it sounds like someone scraping their nails on a blackboard..... I can't even stand listening to foreign films dubbed.... it's torture to my poor ears.

I got into Anime starting with dubs. Never regretted the decision, never will. There's nothing wrong with liking a dub IMO, especially if it's well done. Yes it is true that there HAVE been dubs in the '80s and early '90s which were quite jarring, but there also were good dubs even back then. For instance, while Record of Lodoss War OVA is an older dub from 1996 and shows its age in places, it still holds up quite well for me. It's a dub I really love. And yes, the Disney-Ghibli dubs are absolutely awesome dubs; all of them. I can't watch them in anything but English.

Call me Ishmael.

Here's some anime with great dubs.

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Baccano! (if you watch this show in Japanese you're doing it wrong forever)
Trigun
Big O
Cromartie High School
Black Lagoon
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

Last edited by Marche Tobaye on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, like others said, depends on the show. Usually I'll watch subs first, though, since I tend to take series I enjoyed to my friends' places to watch and they all prefer dubs.

Most of the time I like anime better subbed, though I thought the aforementioned Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Haruhi were better dubbed (though Haruhi's dub being good is ironic since Lucky Star's dub sucked and it had pretty much the exact same cast).

Baccano! has the best dub in any show I've ever heard. Just throwing it out there.

Up until now I couldn't understand the argument for dubs at all. I guess part of it is that I'm English and lots of voices for dubs just sound way too... American. But I realize sometimes I'm just watching the screens go by and not really paying attention to subs, especially when the dialogue goes over one line. I still would always pick subs though, mainly because things like this make my ears bleed.

Midnight Jasper wrote:
mainly because things like this make my ears bleed.

I'm usually not big on posting images as responses, but I think this is worthy of a

Okay, adding Madoka to the list of anime I'll never watch dubbed, along with Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking.

Prime Suspect

Sub of couse! In 3 reasons:
1)It faster to do
2)It's easy to do
3)It cheaper to do
+
It don't ruined atmosphere of the game.I can't undestand foreign movies or games unless they are with sub.
I see everything!

Surf's Up!

Dubs, because then I can focus on watching the action, not reading the subtitles.

My name is Judge.

While I don't watch too much Anime, I often finding myself enjoying the dubs more. They usually aren't terrible, and when they are, often times the blame comes down to the translation/localization (which would ruin the subs too), rather than the voice actors. Great dubs can't be matched, Miyazaki, FMA, Bleach, and so on.

Also, I personally find the Japanese language terribly grating. Nothing against those who speak it or the culture itself, its just, whenever I hear it, it just sounds unpleasant. And it then distracts me and lessens my watching experience.

And of course, there are some fantastic fabulous max moments you can only get with fansubs.

Spoiler: big

I find subs better. Sometimes, dubs just ruin the movie/anime/etc. To me, if movies and all that are dubbed, they don't sound original and they don't sound right :/ Also, I'm a visual learner, so it's better for me to understand the situation if I read it, therefore, I like subs better :D
Made by me :D

Silvi<3

I personally like subs more, sometimes I watch dubs depending on my mood most animes, I don't like english voices even finding them annoying and/or not even suiting the character Well sometimes anyway.

Silvi<3

EDIT: Double post sorry

The EPIC return of Mr. Hobo!

Sub or Dub... Definitely Dub.

I say this because, while there may be some bad dubs out there (i.e. Speed Racer, LOL), there are still many fantastic ones in existence. Subs are too distracting for someone like me who has ADHD, and can barely focus on one task at a time, let alone two! XD

Like Percei said, some perfect dubs include the Fullmetal Alchemist series (both the 2003 anime and Brotherhood). You cannot beat the voice talents of Vic Mignogna (Edward Elric) and Travis Willingham (Roy Mustang). They pretty much set the bar pretty high for new talent. XD

Click the image above to view my Sprite Topic!

The cape is self-fluttering

Mr. Hobo wrote:
Sub or Dub... Definitely Dub.

I say this because, while there may be some bad dubs out there (i.e. Speed Racer, LOL),

d

dude
dude

it was 1967

Anime quality (and dub quality for that matter) wasn't exactly Inuyasha or FMA back then :-P (hell, it wasn't exactly Super Dimension Fortress Macross quality back then either).

I can't speak on Speed Racer X though.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Call me Ishmael.

Midnight Jasper wrote:
And of course, there are some fantastic fabulous max moments you can only get with fansubs.

Spoiler: big

Those moments are exactly why I refuse to watch anything subbed by gg.

I have a rule of thumb, and it consists of only watching a show (movie, series, anime) in its original language whenever possible, and with subs if I'm not good enough at a language to watch a show without subtitles.

Meaning, I only watch English subs for animes and Japanese movies.
For some reason, I just can't stand English dubs... which is strange, because I have no problem with English voice actors, especially in western video-games (VALVe games, GTA games, etc...), where I find the dubbing great, if not downright genius. I also loved the English dub for Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story.

But when it comes to foreign shows being dubbed... it just feels awfully off and 'artificial', not genuine at all. I can hear the vocie actor reading the text on the screen.

But quite frankly, I always go for the original dub whenever possible, with subs if needed. That way, I ensure I get the most genuine experience.
I've watched at least a hundred animes since 2005, and I never had any difficulty reading the subtitles and keeping up with the action or anything (even if some action-intensive shows).
ImageImageImage

Squirtle!

I tend to prefer watching the dubbed episodes of things. I watch subbed when it's the only thing available but I don't want to have to constantly watch the screen when I'm doing other things. Watching dubbed things allows me to multitask xD
Married to SnowWright! Father of Tornado of Souls!

All shall bow before the mighty Godog!!!

I used to say "SUB ALL THE WAY!" but after Hetalia, I've been willing to try things dubbed. Some are really good, and the dubbing VA's will bring their own life to the characters, where others (A LOT of the others) fall waaaaay short of their mark, and everyone sounds the same (I find this to be a common problem with female voices). Now, as a rule, when I start a new anime, I watch the first episode subbed and dubbed before I make my decision. I ALWAYS go for sub first, but if the dub is good, then I'll rewatch the series dubbed. Something that just drives me up the wall is when the mouthing doesn't match up to the actual words being said, so if that is seriously off mark I'll ditch it, even if the VA's are good. But shows like Panty and Stocking, well even in Japanese the mouthing was off, but that was the point!

Bearded Gentleman

Definitely dub. Bad english voice acting doesn't annoy me that much. I'd rather settle for poor voice acting than have to read along with the dialouge while trying to watch the film/show. If the dub is well done, then that's even better.

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

I actually like sub better, because I'm deaf since my birth and that helped me very much. Dub is good too, but nothing can beat the sub. :godot:

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

Yo Dawg!

Contrary to my original post in this thread, I've been watching a pretty even mix of subbed and dubbed anime lately. I find more and more that many anime actually do have good dubs. And considering most DVD's and downloads of anime have dual audio, I can choose whichever I please.

Hell, in some cases it's hard to choose the sub or dub because both are pretty good. In those cases I usually end up going with the dub because I still miss parts of the action due to reading the subs.

Ace Edgeworth Fangirl

99% of the time, I watch subs. I hate to sound snobby, but the English voices in the dubs just never live up to my expectations.

Gettin' Old!

Do some people just have aversions to their own language?

Really I hardly thought dubs would get the bashings that they do here.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Call me Ishmael.

Pierre wrote:
Do some people just have aversions to their own language?

Really I hardly thought dubs would get the bashings that they do here.

Aye. Like, I can understand if someone prefer subs because they feel it's part of the experience to hear the lines in the original language, but you're deluding yourself if you think all anime dubs are of 4kids tier quality.

Only one truth prevails.

I'm fine with whatever. Unless it's dubbed foreign movies, then I must watch it in the original language.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

I'm a subs man, but I do give dubs a shot. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Black Lagoon, and Code Geass are examples of really good dubs, but dubs like Haruhi Suzumiya where the voices just don't fit the character's personality I can't bring myself to like it
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Definitely subs, in general.
I have to say, I grew up with german dubs and even in the 90s, they did an okay job. The voices remained throughout the entire series and didn't change every other season, they fit the characters pretty well and even the lines seemed okay. So when I stumbled over american dubs back then, I wanted to stab my eardrums with chopsticks.

Freaky, loud, whiney, obnoxious voices on almost every character, the lines were cheesy or sounded just plain dumb and even back then, throwing in 90s slang that sounded dumb in the 90s and sounds even dumber now, just plain bad. However, I have noticed that the quality seems to have improved lately - my DVD copy of El Hazard: The Magnificent World came with german dub, english dub and original japanese voices with german subs . . . well, the subs were late in the later episodes. And I have to say, the german dub is okay. And I do enjoy watching it with the english dub - they took care with the translation, they got voices that fitted pretty well.

And despite the improvements, well, I still generally prefer Subs or original japanese voices. Call me a weeaboo or wapanese, I don't care. I just plain notice that the japanese voices have a much more convincing emotion in their voice when needed than english ones - that could be a case of directing during production.

But I have begun to dislike german dubs as well. I haven't watched dubbed anime in years and the last one I stumbled upon was Naruto while zapping through some channels. Perhaps it's because standards are different than in the 90s, because they seem to cut out even the most "harmless" things (as in, things that are kinda bad to look at, but not THAT terrible) and just make everything so bland nowadays . . .

C-A

High level play

CatMuto wrote:
Definitely subs, in general.
I have to say, I grew up with german dubs and even in the 90s, they did an okay job. The voices remained throughout the entire series and didn't change every other season, they fit the characters pretty well and even the lines seemed okay.

C-A

I agree to a certain extent with you. I grew up with the Dutch dubs in the 90's when I was a kid and anime's like Pokemon and Digimon (only the REALLY mainstream was aired here) and they were actually pretty good.
Much like in Germany, all kids shows are dubbed here even the English ones. Remember Ducktales and it's catchy intro? I compared both the English and Dutch versions. They are equally catchy meaning time and effort was put into it.

However, when watching the English version of Ducktales the characters voices really bothered me. They were just plain annoying. It's not that it was badly done or anything but just very annoying to me.

And that brings me to my point which I'm suprised that it hasn't come up yet:

The first version (language) I hear almost always seems like the better option. This rule also applies for anime to me. Pokemon? Dutch, DBZ? English, Death Note? Japanese. Different dubs available, but only one seems good in my opinion.

Ergo if you were to watch an anime with sub or dub based on your preference/habit you'll probably watch that version first and like it best. Unless a sub or dub is really darned bad.

Personally, I prefer subs. It has become my habit after seeing Naruto and Death Note (see argument above), but there is more.
Japanese are very fond of wordplay. Often as inside jokes, but it can really set the mood for certain anime's (Gintama for example). With a good sub, these can be preserved even if you have to pause the screen to get the full explanation. The dubs need to work their way around it and create some awkward scenario's because of it.
Finally, since I'm pretty well versed in the English language (if I dare to say so myself), but understanding Japanese is a completely different language (duh). Seeing the dubs helped me pick up some words and phrases. To learn a language by viewing things you like also is a good motivation for me to watch the subs instead of the dubs.

So yeah, mostly subs for me.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Ducktales... that intro song will never leave your mind!
Of course, german dubs had their problems back then, too. I don't remember all too much, but I do remember that Usagi was simply translated into Bunny and they kept Chibiusa. Which, for people who don't know that it's Chibi Usagi and simply a term to call her a little bunny, was a just plain rather weird name. But I was glad to learn that they kept the original japanese surnames - although in one instance, Bunny was Buny TUXino instead of Tsukino ...

Quote:
Japanese are very fond of wordplay. Often as inside jokes, but it can really set the mood for certain anime's (Gintama for example).

A huge importance (and problem) with translating, for example, Detective Conan. When Aoyama was told they would be translated into different languages, he said, "Good Luck!" Because there are a ton of wordplays and other things that are very easy to understand in Japanese, but hard in other language.
For example, a serial killer case that had to do with Mahjong - we get translations saying things such as "I am going to the doctor's" and we have no clue what that's supposed to mean, especially in association with Mahjong. In Japanese, it definitely made sense.
Although dubs can get such wordplays into proper storyline and sense, if they do a good job at it. However that would take a lot more time and maybe even some extra brainpower in terms of rhymes or word association to pull off. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm sure it can be done. It just takes some work.

C-A

High level play

CatMuto wrote:

Although dubs can get such wordplays into proper storyline and sense, if they do a good job at it. However that would take a lot more time and maybe even some extra brainpower in terms of rhymes or word association to pull off. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm sure it can be done. It just takes some work.

C-A

Indeed it happens now and then, however the kind of clever wordplay I'm talking about often gets reduces to a lame pun. I mentioned it because it tilts me more to watching the subs instead of dubs.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Ace Sidekick!

I actually perfer dubs over subs...Call me crazy, but I think it's cool watching Japanese cartoons in my own native tongue, and it's a lot easier for me to watch anime in English audio. There is only a few times where I perfer to watch anime in it's original language. (Yu gi Oh GX and Powerpuff Girls Z)

English adaptions of anime (and/or video games) have gotten quite a bad rap among the hardest of hardcore anime fans. Many criticize English dubs for not staying true to the original Japanese script, omitting or changing lines, having poor acting, etc. Some of the REALLY obsessed fans even criticize dub-watchers as being uncultured idiots, too lazy to read subtitles.

Personally, I feel that shows like Cowboy Bebop and Steins;Gate have thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining dubs that stay true to the original script; while still being accessible for non-Japanese viewers. The Studio Ghibli films also have good dubs, likely because Hayao Miyazaki oversees them and John Lasseter of Pixar directs them.

With video games, I think the Metal Gear series' English voice acting is actually better than the (already excellent) Japanese acting.

What are your opinions on the whole debate? What anime can you name that have particularly good dubs? What shows have really bad dubs?
Re: Anime: Sub vs. Dub. Which Side Are You?Topic%20Title

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

I vaguely remember there was already one of these threads. I'm a sub person, but I can appreciate dubs if they're not obnoxious or phoned in. Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and many other anime made in the 90's had great dubs.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Ace Sidekick!

I'm not picky, I love English dubs. It's rare when I actually prefer to watch an anime in Japanese.

Emiko Gale wrote:
I'm not picky, I love English dubs. It's rare when I actually prefer to watch an anime in Japanese.

Gah! You illiterate uncultured non-weeaboo! How dare you enjoy something in your native language! People like you are the reason why anime sucks! The industry is ruined forever! :zenitora:

Do you see the black one...or the white?

In the past, aside from a select few, dubs were terrible. They had terrible voice acting, bad direction, it was trainwreck after trainwreck. Nowadays though, English dubs overall are done so well and I really enjoy them. Companies like Funimation has really been bringing good quality and care towards their dubs. Helps too that they have some really great talent among their ranks. Same is true for video games. They've gotten a whole lot better as time has gone on.

As for preferences, if you asked me in the early 2000s, it'd been subs hands down. Now, I'm fine with either one, though I lean more towards dub as I prefer hearing it in my native language. Besides, I'm one who loves looking at the art and backgrounds in a show, and it's really hard to do when I'm having to read every single piece of dialogue to know what's going on.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Back in the 90s I watched dubbed Anime in German and I thought that was good. The voices were distinct and the lines were delivered well. And when I looked up clips of the American dub of Sailor Moon, the bits I saw were done nicely, too. But then I went to look at other dubs and...
Uuurgh, some of them just hurt my ears to listen to. There was one scene of Digimon Tamers I watched in English and it was Kubimon (was that the name? That little white ball thing that became important for Evolutions) simply saying the line "Jeri, wakey-wakey!" Oh it hurt my ears, the pitch was too high and it sounded like the VA was really straining their voice to sound like that.
The YuGiOh! dub was pretty bad, too. Yuugi's voice was okay - why they had to get Dan Green us a way too low voice for the other Yuugi, I have no idea. Just because Yuugi looked younger, although he was 16, and the other one was taller doesn't mean he was older and had a voice that was that much lower. Some of the others were kinda hit and miss...

So I got turned off dubs pretty badly, the English ones. In games, they tended to do a decent job. I still think... S-Scot Menville made him sound like he was 12 years old instead of a 17 year old. But over the years, I thought they improved with the voices.
But by then I had switched to Subs and I liked that more.
The voices were more varied, granted it was in a language I didn't understand, but I'm a fast reader so reading the text while watching the videos was no problem. And it did help me learn the language slowly. Eventually, I watched El Hazard: The Magnificent World in Japanese with Subs first, then in German and then in English. And I must say, the English dub did a really good job there. It even pronounced Ifurita... almost... correctly. At least the emphasis was on the third syllable and not the second, as most English dubs are prone to do with Japanese names.

Overall, while English dubs have improved in games, I'd still go for Japanese. Not because I'm a weeaboo or wapanese, but because I like the flow of the language and it still makes me study the language. I pretty much stopped watching Anime except the one H now and then so I don't know if English dubbed Anime improved. All I know is that even German dubbed Anime sounds weird to me now.

So... eh Dubs can be done well.
But I still prefer Japanese.

C-A

Call me James

I prefer dubs, mainly because I like watching anime in my native language. Although in some cases when a dub isn't available, I'll not shy away from watching it because of that. So pretty much - Dub over sub, unless said dub doesn't exist.

On the "vs" thing, I think it's just silly. One that comes to mind (and pisses me off the most) is One Piece's frankly brilliant and very true to the original dub. Anyone who knows about One Piece will know how amazing the Water 7/Enies Lobby arcs are. Funimation (the company behind the dub now) are nailing them dead on. There's so much effort and love they put into what they do, and it shows. Yet people who've not heard more than a minute will bash it just because it isn't the original. Despite the actual head honcho of the dub, and several voice actors saying on the commentaries that Toei Animation and the creator of One Piece had a big say in picking the English dub voice cast. I love how some random dude apparently knows more about what voices can suit which character than the guy who's been writing them for some 16 odd years :maggy:

As far as bad dubs, anything by 4Kids. Although I must admit I have a certain nostalgic love for their Yugioh dub, since I grew up with Yugioh all around me and it just happened to be on TV all the time. It sucks a big one, no doubt. But it's got that "so bad it's good" feel to it.
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"

Professor Yoshi wrote:
As far as bad dubs, anything by 4Kids. Although I must admit I have a certain nostalgic love for their Yugioh dub, since I grew up with Yugioh all around me and it just happened to be on TV all the time. It sucks a big one, no doubt. But it's got that "so bad it's good" feel to it.

I dunno, I mostly grew up with the German Dub of YuGiOh! and it was based on the American version - lying TV announcer - the only English YGO episode I watched was Anzu-I mean Téa VS Penguin and that was a pretty weird episode to begin with. I guess main reason I don't like YGO's dub is simply because of the stuff they altered. Oh man, no, we can't have a bare navel on TV! Think of the children! Won't somebody please think of the children!?
Considering they're letting An-Téa on TV and her rack is so large it's practically POINTY...

Wait, this doesn't have anything to do with Dub VS Sub, more like censorship...

C-A
Page 2 of 3 [ 107 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios