Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 11 of 15[ 569 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Re: 999: Nine Hours - Nine Persons - Nine DoorsTopic%20Title

Let it go and move it move it

kwando wrote:
But... 999's puzzles were pretty easy. >_>

My thoughts exactly. It's just a matter of examining everything.
Within Temptation

Blah!

Huh... weird. No puzzles seems silly, but I guess visual novel enthusiasts in Japan just care about the story.

Also, no Android is a no-go for me if this somehow comes to the West, given my lack of an iOS device. Unless other notable visual novel games have been released with success on iOS in the West, I doubt it'd come stateside anyway.

Spoiler: 999 end
I wonder how they're getting around the second screen being Akane. That was one of the neatest points of 999.

Spoon tastes like fork

blahmoomoo wrote:
Spoiler: 999 end
I wonder how they're getting around the second screen being Akane. That was one of the neatest points of 999.

My guess would be that they've simply
Spoiler:
changed the color of the textbox or something.

Indeed a bit disappointing that no Android version has been announced :/

Fate Testarossa

But... That totally kills it. :/

Fate is made by クロス

So basically it's reading a boat-ton of text with five or six choices to determine the ending.

Eh... At least it looks nice?

Fate Testarossa

Well, there's nothing wrong with just reading text for a VN... It's just that 999 was made with the puzzles in mind, rather than without it... So it just seems like an odd decision to take out the puzzles. :/

Fate is made by クロス

世界中

Okay I'm a bit late to the party but I finally found and finished this game but I'm not sure what to do next? I think I got the "Coffin ending" when I finished, but then it said to be continued? I know this game has multiple endings so is this one of them?

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

TheBaronAndEma wrote:
Okay I'm a bit late to the party but I finally found and finished this game but I'm not sure what to do next? I think I got the "Coffin ending" when I finished, but then it said to be continued? I know this game has multiple endings so is this one of them?

The Coffin Ending means that you didn't get the Safe Ending, so yup you gotta play some more to get the True Ending which goes past the Coffin if I remember correctly.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Blah!

Yeah, you aren't finished, and you're pretty unlucky to get Coffin the first time. There are six endings in total, although only two are required and Coffin is a dummy ending. Go through different doors to get different endings.

I suggest entering every room (and I do mean all eight that you can choose from) at least once thoughout your playthroughs, because of the extra details you might find in each one.

Ah, I never got the coffin ending, fortunately. Although, I got the axe ending multiple times.
Within Temptation

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Lucy wrote:
Ah, I never got the coffin ending, fortunately. Although, I got the axe ending multiple times.

Axe ending's the worst ending. Hated that one when I played wayyy too early in the morning.

Blak The Great wrote:
Lucy wrote:

Axe ending's the worst ending. Hated that one when I played wayyy too early in the morning.

I thought the knife ending was the worst. It was too predictable, but maybe the axe ending would have been the same if it wasn't the first one I got.
Within Temptation

Blah!

Lucy wrote:
Blak The Great wrote:
Lucy wrote:

I thought the knife ending was the worst. It was too predictable, but maybe the axe ending would have been the same if it wasn't the first one I got.

Ditto. Knife was first for me and it was around 1 AM or something. I went in the game without much knowledge of it, and before the time where I often think ahead of the story, so yeah. I also didn't know how the game worked (it was my first visual novel), so the surprise of the game already being over for a reason I didn't understand was also part of the shock.

Spoiler: Axe Ending
It didn't help that I trusted Clover until the end. Even when she came out of that elevator, I thought that she couldn't be a killer. ^^;;

Within Temptation

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Weird. I NEVER got the knife ending in any of my playthroughs. First one I got was the Sub, and then I got the Axe.

Blak The Great wrote:
Weird. I NEVER got the knife ending in any of my playthroughs. First one I got was the Sub, and then I got the Axe.

The way I see it is that it's like the bad version of the safe ending. You take a similar path, but you don't have all the information you need.
Within Temptation

OBJECTION!

I thought Knife was pretty bad TBH. Axe scared the living shit out of me when I first saw it - maybe because I played at 1-2am :(
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

1000% Knight

Cloverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :chinami:
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

OBJECTION!

Lucy wrote:
Spoiler: Axe Ending
It didn't help that I trusted Clover until the end. Even when she came out of that elevator, I thought that she couldn't be a killer. ^^;;

I felt exactly the same as you :(

are they gonna make a remake for this game for the ios?

Blah!

Inspector Cabanela wrote:

They have already... for Japan. No idea if it's coming to the United States.

They made two big changes to gameplay AFAIK: there's a timeline so you can jump around in the story and there are no puzzle rooms.

Of course, there's also only one screen so the UI is different and the graphics are HD, but that's obvious.

Spoiler: ending
Dunno how they handled the dual screen thing though...

blahmoomoo wrote:

They have already... for Japan. No idea if it's coming to the United States.

They made two big changes to gameplay AFAIK: there's a timeline so you can jump around in the story and there are no puzzle rooms.

Of course, there's also only one screen so the UI is different and the graphics are HD, but that's obvious.

Spoiler: ending
Dunno how they handled the dual screen thing though...

well hopefully they will bring it here depending how sales went here and if people demand it

Yeah, the English release date of the iOS version is expected to be this fall.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/11/99 ... o-english/

Gettin' Old!

Gonna be a failure if there's no puzzle rooms, hell the puzzles are vital to the plot! But hey it was already successful on DS not gonna lose sleep over this.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

I guess they made it work that players don't have to solve the puzzles themselves.

Real men are gray-haired in their 20s.

I gotta agree with Pierre on this one. Even if they found a way to make the plot work without actually doing the puzzles, they're totally gutting the game by making it story-only. :yuusaku:

By the way... Does anyone here think that 999 was significantly better than VLR? (Warning: wall of text incoming.)

I understand it's a matter of personal taste, but I found the plot of VLR to be far more tortuous and thus less engaging. On a related note, one of the things I thought was most appealing about 999 was that for the vast majority of the story, everything depicted was technically possible (albeit highly improbable), that is, it "could have" happened in real life. What's more, you can look up all those theories and experiments on Google and find that they actually exist, which I always thought was really awesome.

Spoiler: 999 ending
Even though the ending (two people communicating over a 9-year gap in time) is full-blown science fiction/fantasy, they somehow built up to it in a way that maintained my suspension of disbelief and didn't make me want to toss the DS aside in disgust. But again, these things are subjective.

In contrast, VLR is bursting at the seams with story elements that are pure science fiction, with little to no basis in our current reality:

Spoiler: serious VLR spoilers
An advanced AI (Zero III), ridiculously human robots (Luna), a robotic suit (K), sophisticated human cloning (K again), a fictitious virus that devastates the entire global population (Radical-6), lunar bases (Rhizome-9), advanced cybernetic enhancements (Sigma), etc.

I could go on, but my point is that VLR is pretty much a straight-up sci-fi story whereas 999 is much more "realistic," in a sense. I suppose a lot of people don't care about the change and may have even liked it, but it just made it a lot less enjoyable for me.

Spoiler: VLR ending
The breaking point for me was probably the repeated jumping between parallel universes through both time and space. The whole business just became so convoluted that my brain disengaged and I quit caring. 999 only went so far as to have Akane see alternate universes that came about because of certain choices, which I found a lot more comprehensible.

As for mechanics, I also contest the oft-made claim that VLR is technically superior to 999 because of the flow-chart system. "So much time is saved because you can just jump to whatever part of the story you want." True. But how much is lost because we're compelled to watch the characters traverse the map of the warehouse, room by room, looking for [insert character here] God-knows-how-many-times? I'm tempted to think if you measured the amount of time you're forced to watch such sequences, it might almost equal (or even surpass) the time it takes to quick-scroll through previously read text and replay puzzle rooms in 999. I've never put this to the test, but I just think people are often hasty when they assert VLR to be superior on such grounds.

I apologize for going on at such length, these are thoughts I've wanted to express for a while now. Maybe you strongly disagree with my assessment of VLR's story, but it's obviously just my opinion. If this topic has already been hashed out here or elsewhere, please say so and we won't have to beat a dead horse.

Totally not my sig...

OBJECTION!

I kind of agree with you - 999 was chilling and scary because it had a "It could actually happen" kind of thing even if it was pseudo science in places. I Hope ZE3 comes back to this.
999 was one of the first of its kind I played (if you discard Choose Your Own Adventure books and those 80's text adventures), with VLR it wasnt as novel, if you'll pardon the pun but still I really liked it :D

However I agree about the lost time in VLR too - all that bloody time spent looking for Character X.. traversing rooms etc... was annoying. And skipping text was faster, but then you'd run into what was essentially the same conversation ("Oh no lets look for...") but the game recognised it as "new" so you had to read it.
I did llike VLR a lot, but heres hoping ZE3 is more reality based and scary.

Finally got to play it and i like it so far :pearl:

I prefer VLR to 999, but I do agree that it was too...out there.

Spoiler: VLR
When we found out they were on space, I was disappointed. That was going too far. I'd hoped that they were in another desert - that would make more sense to me.

Within Temptation

Lucy wrote:

When we found out they were on space, I was disappointed. That was going too far. I'd hoped that they were in another desert - that would make more sense to me.

I might sound noobish but what is VLR :yogi:

Lucy wrote:

Virtue's Last Reward.
Within Temptation

Lucy wrote:
Lucy wrote:

Virtue's Last Reward.

oh i see i looked it up and know i remember seeing the game a while ago also i just read its a indirect sequel to 999 is it true?

Blah!

It is a direct sequel, not indirect. It's part of the same series, and there's a third game coming (though I don't think development has started yet...). I do recommend playing it.

Spoiler: @Lucy, VLR spoilers
Well, at least they had a reason to be there. And the reason why nobody noticed was explained very well. That's one of the things I like about the series: there are crazy situations, but in the end everything is explained and it makes sense (with the exception of ZE3 sequel hooks, like who is Phi).

blahmoomoo wrote:
It is a direct sequel, not indirect. It's part of the same series, and there's a third game coming (though I don't think development has started yet...). I do recommend playing it.

Well, at least they had a reason to be there. And the reason why nobody noticed was explained very well. That's one of the things I like about the series: there are crazy situations, but in the end everything is explained and it makes sense (with the exception of ZE3 sequel hooks, like who is Phi).

OH i see thanks for clearing it up for me

blahmoomoo wrote:

I suppose you're right, but I still have a hard time believing the explanations. Simply because I don't know enough on the subject.
Within Temptation

世界中

I just finished the true ending today and I just want to say this game is such a brilliant game! It's (almost) as good Ace Attorney :phoenix:

Gettin' Old!

TheBaronAndEma wrote:
I just finished the true ending today and I just want to say this game is such a brilliant game! It's (almost) as good Ace Attorney :phoenix:

Yeah it's sheer brilliance =D And my girlfriend says the sequel is even more mindblowing, working my way through that now.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

世界中

Pierre wrote:
Yeah it's sheer brilliance =D And my girlfriend says the sequel is even more mindblowing, working my way through that now.

How are you finding it so far? I plan on getting a 3DS soon and am wondering what to expect in the sequel :phoenix:

Blah!

TheBaronAndEma wrote:
Pierre wrote:

How are you finding it so far? I plan on getting a 3DS soon and am wondering what to expect in the sequel :phoenix:

PLAY IT NAO.

In seriousness, it is quite good. Also, you can freely jump around the story via its timeline, so it's much easier to play than 999.

Better than 999? I think it is, but other people don't. I think that's because VLR has a different focus (twists vs. characters? I forgot), but it's still really good in any case.

Just one word of warning: when you play VLR, do not save in any of the puzzle rooms if you can, and NEVER save in the PEC, whether you're in a novel or puzzle section.

Gettin' Old!

blahmoomoo wrote:
TheBaronAndEma wrote:
Pierre wrote:

PLAY IT NAO.

In seriousness, it is quite good. Also, you can freely jump around the story via its timeline, so it's much easier to play than 999.

Better than 999? I think it is, but other people don't. I think that's because VLR has a different focus (twists vs. characters? I forgot), but it's still really good in any case.

Just one word of warning: when you play VLR, do not save in any of the puzzle rooms if you can, and NEVER save in the PEC, whether you're in a novel or puzzle section.

Your warning comes too late.

However I hit it early fortunately, in my first run of the game or so rather than 30 hours in or so, so I suppose I'm a lucky one.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 11 of 15 [ 569 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station