Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 2 of 6[ 213 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Re: Pywright tutorialTopic%20Title

I could probably help with organizing files.

Dracarys!

OrderOfTheNick wrote:
I could probably help with organizing files.

I've passed the message on to Huddini. He's currently gathering everything together. One of us will probably contact you sometime soon. Thanks for volunteering.

First, thanks to Ropfa for creating this idea and allowing TGens for this wonderful opportunity!
And thanks OrderoftheNick for volunteering (so quick at that too!)

Secondly, I apologize ahead of time if there's any delay in trying to send the files out to you guys. My biggest obstacle has been revolving around the audio resources, and all .gif resources that I need to convert to a PyWright format. The contents have already amounted to 300+mb, and I'm not even halfway done organizing everything :P
What I plan to do is NOT include in any audio for the time being. I'll need to make sure that all graphics related stuff has been collected at the least.

A bunch of our custom sprites not found in AAO are totaled up to 100+ poses and such. Converting it one at a time to the PyWright standard will be tedious, since I can't do it all in one sitting. I'm doing this ahead of time for you guys so you don't need to waste time converting these yourselves.

There's also the deal with many backgrounds that I'm trying to sort out that was used for Part 1, and Part 2 respectively. There's quite a few animated backgrounds too, so I gotta watch out for those!

Additionally, I've also forgotten that I also have animated png files (.apng) format, and it seems PyWright doesn't support this either (so I have to figure out a way to convert it to a proper PyWright .png properly. I might need my co-author's help with this).

And lastly, there are many "stock" resources that I've used directly from AAO's repo. It will be extremely tedious to acquire all the default sprites there, the ones that weren't custom/externally hotlinked by me (acquiring those sprites can be difficult, especially an average user like me). I will not focus on acquiring on these at the time being, only the custom content I brought in for now.

The only thing that has been complete for the most part is the evidence/profile stuff in the court-record.
=======================
So, what I plan to do, is focus on all the custom content used for Part 1.

Then, I'll focus on attempting Part 2. That should make the process easier for anyone here interested in helping me complete this.
As Ropfa said, the best way to attempt this community-oriented project is to tackle this one at a time, so it's better to go part by part first.

Thanks again for your time/interest! ^^

Dracarys!

Okay, the "sequel" to the tutorial in the first post, Turnabout Awesomer, is complete.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m6x5u07o8u9xoa6/Turnabout%20Awesomer1.03.zip

This is an interactive tutorial. Think of it like a game. Like Math Blaster, only instead of learning addition, you're learning Pywright. You will actually have to go in and edit the coding to finish this.

It is highly recommended (necessary, even) that you have already read through the first tutorial before attempting to figure this one out, as it deals with more complicated material. I've provided a few supplementary files inside the main folder, so be sure to check with those if you get stuck.

Remember, the whole reason I'm doing this is to help people out. Feedback on this is not only appreciated, it's almost necessary for this to work out properly. If anything I've said here is too confusing, then IT ISN'T WORKING. I already edited, edited, and re-edited one specific scene until it was something that TTG could understand. I'm totally willing to put out an update if lots of people are having problems with any specific section (although please do note that the part he was having trouble with covers one of the most important things to learn, so try your best to figure it out.)

Special thanks to TTG, Cardiovore, and Saluk for testing this. Another special thanks to Silentbob for his own contributions.

Last edited by Ropfa on Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Re: Pywright tutorial (interactive tutorial available)Topic%20Title

I'm stuck in the tutorial. I'm at the part after you
Spoiler:
escape from Gant.

It shows the police station, but there's nothing on the bottom screen.
I looked at the file(scene7.script), but I can't seem to find anything wrong. :/

Dracarys!

Try removing the penalty +100 line.

I wonder why that wasn't working...

Dracarys!

Put out an update to fix that bug. Edited the previous posts to change the link.

Yes, deleting that line did work. I finished the tutorial! But after the end, the game jumped to the scene with Snow leaving. I don't think that's normal. :/
I learned a lot from this. It was a great tutorial.

Dracarys!

Every Pywright game does that. The game just loops to wherever the intro.txt scene starts out.

Yo, can you explain what the "general" art folder is supposed to consist of in more detail?

Do they include the witness testimony graphics, testimony graphics, CE graphics, etc. in there?

Or is it just like you said in the OP, just for the "interface" button graphics and such?

Dracarys!

The general art folder is for interface stuff, like buttons, dialogue boxes, or the court record menu. Most of the stuff you'd need here, you can get from Pywright itself. There should be a download pack somewhere.

Anything that shows up in front of character sprites or the background is most likely a foreground. That would include the CE/testimony scrolling words.

Oh alrighty, then for the general stuff, how do I insert my own custom-style user interface, with proper names and all? (Like say I wanted to change the court record to a blue color, how would I go about doing that?)

Could you expand your tutorial to include this? ;)

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

Huddini wrote:
Oh alrighty, then for the general stuff, how do I insert my own custom-style user interface, with proper names and all? (Like say I wanted to change the court record to a blue color, how would I go about doing that?)

Could you expand your tutorial to include this? ;)

I think you should edit the .png files you put in the "general" folder.
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

I can help you with custom graphic interface buttons.
Just PM me and tell what do you need.

I apologize, I didn't make my intentions clear ^^'

I know how to do the custom editing of the UI with the pywright art pack files that's available. No issues there so far. I got my custom-styled UI skin already.

What I'd like to know is how to slightly "expand" the UI. For example, with the "Move, Present, Examine, etc." .png file, I want to have some graphics edit of file where the user clicks it, and the button's change to a lighter color (to indicate that it's been pressed/clicked).
I want PyWright to recognize this action/input. Is it possible?

The best example of the UI that has what I'm talking about is the "Back" button. It has one normal version, and one "clicked" version.

So how do I do that with files that don't have this? (Like the Move/Present/Examine .png file I just mentioned)

I... thought the talk/move/present/examine buttons had that. O_o "talkbutton" and "talkbuttons_high", no?
That one guy from AAO that made about a dozen cases that all kinda go off the deep end and fall apart at one point or another.

...Wow. Nice you explained it and all, but I had no idea it was that complicated in the first place. xD Coding every single frame... Ugh.

I guess I'll be using AAO, anyway ^^'

Dracarys!

Huddini wrote:
What I'd like to know is how to slightly "expand" the UI. For example, with the "Move, Present, Examine, etc." .png file, I want to have some graphics edit of file where the user clicks it, and the button's change to a lighter color (to indicate that it's been pressed/clicked).
I want PyWright to recognize this action/input. Is it possible?

The best example of the UI that has what I'm talking about is the "Back" button. It has one normal version, and one "clicked" version.

So how do I do that with files that don't have this? (Like the Move/Present/Examine .png file I just mentioned)

I believe the menu buttons already do highlight. You just might need to select them with the arrow keys, rather than the mouse.

DudeWithAMask wrote:
I... thought the talk/move/present/examine buttons had that. O_o "talkbutton" and "talkbuttons_high", no?

You're correct, I found out last night and skinned the files accordingly.

I'd like to expand on the UI even more though. For example, I want to completely revamp how the "Check" detail section works (especially when checking out a character's profile).

How hardcoded did PyWright make the UI aspects of the files, and is there any way I can go beyond customizing how it displays these kinds of data? (For example, I'd like to change the font type of the font used in Py's version of a profile's description, because it's a general sore to look at)

Is it possible for the text to scroll while the screen is shaking? Because the {s} command seem to be blocking the text from moving every time it's used.
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

Sure. Use '{s nowait}'.
That one guy from AAO that made about a dozen cases that all kinda go off the deep end and fall apart at one point or another.

Dracarys!

A question for those who have gone through Turnabout Awesomer already:

Did you have much trouble with the setflags scene at the lake? One of the testers had quite a bit of trouble there and I had to add in a bunch of material to get it to where it's currently at. Is what's there right now okay? Does it explain flags sufficiently? Or is that part too confusing?

Ropfa wrote:

Did you have much trouble with the setflags scene at the lake? One of the testers had quite a bit of trouble there and I had to add in a bunch of material to get it to where it's currently at. Is what's there right now okay? Does it explain flags sufficiently? Or is that part too confusing?

Well, I think there is a bit of a problem. The instructions weren't quite right, I had to put the flag after the text is done instead of adding it before "char apollo" (As the instructions say.)
Since I finished the tutorial I thought it wasn't necessary to bring this up.

NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN

It. Was. Confusing.
Thats all I got to say on the matter.

NYAN

Dracarys!

BonnyMono wrote:
The instructions weren't quite right, I had to put the flag after the text is done instead of adding it before "char apollo" (As the instructions say.)

Really? So you couldn't progress until you did this...

Spoiler:
Code:
label lake
char apollo hide
"Aha! I found the lake!"
setflag thisismyflag
goto top

...instead of this...?

Spoiler:
Code:
label lake
setflag thisismyflag
char apollo hide
"Aha! I found the lake!"
goto top

It shouldn't matter where you put the flag, just so long as it's somewhere between "label lake" and "goto top". Either of those should be able to work (but good job figuring that out). In fact, I just triple-tested it myself to see if it still did.

I did find a typo in the notes for one part, from before I added a scene in there. The download link has been updated.

But besides this, was everything else okay? You understood what you were supposed to do?

The_Turnabout_Guy wrote:
It. Was. Confusing.
Thats all I got to say on the matter.

Well I know you thought it was. You're the tester I was referring to. Instead of just saying "That's all I got to say", could you please explain what you found confusing about it? Flags are a very common thing in Pywright, so I think it's important that people learn how to use them.

Last edited by Ropfa on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote:

Personally, I felt the flags were explained well and didn't have any issues with that segment. And I had the flag set before the text. Code if curious:

label lake
//SETFLAG HERE
setflag b
char apollo hide
"Aha! I found the lake!"
goto top

Ropfa: Putting the flag after the text seems to be working for me, putting it before the text doesn't seem to be doing any effect. (I have no idea why.)

And there's also some issues that I encountered during the blocking evidence part.
Here's the coding:
Spoiler:
Code:
"{c949}Try blocking yourself from {n}presenting any physical evidence."

label redo2
"{c090}Now... {p20}Who am I?"
set_allow_present_evidence false

I tried it, and I still was able to present evidence. Is there's something wrong?

I had an issue with scrolling. (I will simply ignore this issue since I really don't need it.
Other than that, the tutorial is very well done and explains everything quite clearly.

Dracarys!

For blocking evidence, try putting a space between set and _allow. See if that works.

NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN

Why it was confusing?
Simple, I felt like I had so little info to workoff with, they were confusing, just like pearls said on the version you gave me and I got the idea that you were reffering to me, as I doubt it was Cardi.

But the extra material helped alot, also I placed the thing in the wrong box at first, then the wrong line and finaly when I you gave more info, I was abel to do it. (excuse the poor grammars, writing on an iPhone.)

NYAN

*Sorry for bad English*
Is there a way to make PyWrite work with custom resolution (960x640)?

I don't think you can, the only ones available are the ones in "Change resolution."
Or, maybe you can expand the window with your mouse.

No, it willn't work. I tried to use rips from iOS HD Edition.

I wasn't clear enough. I was talking not about window resolution, but about sprites and backgrounds. If I try to use HD rips they would be cuted. Is there a way to fix this?

Oh that? Well, you can always ask Saluk Here to make an update for advanced sprites. (For now, you might wanna stick with the default sprites.)

Also, I noticed something. In some of the coding for the testimony preview, I found {tbon}

e.g:

Spoiler: Coding
Code:
bg witness
fg wbench
char gumshoe e=normal
mus
fg testimonyAnim
nt
"{spd 4}{n}{c940}{center}--Police Investigations--"
mus Moderate2013
set _music_loop Moderate2013LOOP
bg witness
fg wbench
char gumshoe e=normal
"{sound blipmale}{tbon}The murder happened yesterday{n}at 1:35 PM, as mentioned in the{n}blackmail letter."
"{sound blipmale}{tbon}{e side}The autopsy says it all,{n}he was strangled,{n} yatti yatti yatta."
"{sound blipmale}{tbon}{e confident}So, you see?{n}Everything points at the defendant!"

What does it exactly do...?

Dracarys!

That's for the flashing "Testimony" blinker that appears in the corner of the screen.

i need help, whenever i use the e=zoom command, instead of showing the blue background, it keeps the same background and foreground before the e=zoom command even came in. do i need to download the blue background first?
EDIT: nvm, i found it because i ACTUALLY looked
Difficult-looking legal books stand in a formidable row. They mock me. I tried reading one, and it made my head hurt. When I closed it, it slipped out of my hand. Then my foot hurt too. - Phoenix Wright

My fangame: Morgan Wright: Ace Attorney is right here: viewtopic.php?t=30205

Last edited by MrTailsluver on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrTailsluver wrote:
i need help, whenever i use the e=zoom command, instead of showing the blue background, it keeps the same background and foreground before the e=zoom command even came in. do i need to download the blue background first?

Yes, you should. You should convert the blue background just like converting sprites(.gif) into a sheet(.png). If you don't, the background will stay still and not move. (For me, at least.)

BonnyMono wrote:
MrTailsluver wrote:

Yes, you should. You should convert the blue background just like converting sprites(.gif) into a sheet(.png). If you don't, the background will stay still and not move. (For me, at least.)

actually, i found it, the title was "speedlineupclose2" but right now it comes infront of the zoomed in face (apollo's) and stops the game completely, it was a foreground, so i guess fg speedlineupclose2 made it do that, so i put it in the bg folder.
Difficult-looking legal books stand in a formidable row. They mock me. I tried reading one, and it made my head hurt. When I closed it, it slipped out of my hand. Then my foot hurt too. - Phoenix Wright

My fangame: Morgan Wright: Ace Attorney is right here: viewtopic.php?t=30205

We will build a new store room!!!

Instead of blocking evidence from being presented, it's probably clearer to the player to just not show the evidence page at all and instead only show the profiles page (or vice versa)

This can be done with:
Code:
char apollo hide
"{c090}This is what has changed in the last year!"
set _ev_pages profiles   // CHANGES TO JUST DISPLAYING PROFILES
present fail=wrongprofile noback

label polly$
char apollo hide
"I'm what's changed in the last year!"

char maya
"{p 30}You're right."
"what else has changed?"
set _ev_pages evidence   // CHANGES TO JUST DISPLAYING EVIDENCE

label badge
char apollo hide
"Mr Wright's got his badge back!"

char maya
"{p 30}You're right about that too."
"what else has changed?"
set _ev_pages evidence profiles   // CHANGES TO DISPLAYING BOTH AGAIN

label maya$
char apollo hide
"You're here!!!!"

remember, as with the blocking, you need to use the "set _ev_pages evidence profiles" to reset the present interface to normal.
You can also put profiles first if you want it do be displayed first...
You can also use that to show additional pages if you need them, e.g. Notes or something
THOSE TIN CANS ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!
-"♫If you're ugly like me you're in good companeeeee! There are millions of us who're ugly♪!!!"-
-"WE WILL BUILD A NEW STORE ROOM!!!"~The Ghost of Zen Tuo
Page 2 of 6 [ 213 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Games