Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 8 of 39[ 1554 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 39  Next

Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Your average dudette

General Luigi wrote:
I'll see your slow person in front of you and raise you people who stop to chat with each other in the middle of a busy hallway. It was an annoyingly common occurrence for me at college; some small group of people would block a hallway by chatting outside a classroom. I don't recall ever being late for class as a direct result of such a thing, but it was still really annoying. I suppose I should be thankful it's purely a pedestrian thing in my experience, though. Can you imagine how much more road-rage-induced violence there would be if drivers often stopped in the middle of a road to chat with each other?

Oh, god...I HATE that. There was this narrow hallway at the university and I was in a hurry since I had to set up everything for a presentation in 15 minutes and I came across this group of people who were gossiping and stuff. While my presentation was my top priority at the moment, I politely told them if they could move away since I was in a hurry. They almost killed me with their glares, but they eventually moved so I could arrive at the classroom in time.

You know what grinds my gears? When people tell me to be "more social".
I mean, I'm quiet, I don't talk much and sometimes I chicken out when trying to iniciate some conversation. Maybe I don't have many friends because of that but please, stop telling me that. I enjoy being alone, I like peaceful silence, and sometimes I find going to social events tiring. And if you aren't ok with that, please, go find something better to do.

Quote:
You know what grinds my gears? When people tell me to be "more social".
I mean, I'm quiet, I don't talk much and sometimes I chicken out when trying to iniciate some conversation. Maybe I don't have many friends because of that but please, stop telling me that. I enjoy being alone, I like peaceful silence, and sometimes I find going to social events tiring. And if you aren't ok with that, please, go find something better to do.

I agree. And while being more social may help me in not be so nervous or uncomfortable around other people, maybe even making job interviews easier on me, I doubt it would change much. Just because I'm more social does not mean that I'd like going to social events more often or anything like that.

C-A

The King of All

It's really grinding my gears the eShop isn't working. :tigre:
The king of all, Sir Duke

You know what really grinds my gears? Those stupid executives on TV, cutting out parts in an episode because they deem it inappropriate for the timeslot they are showing it in.

This problem could be easily redeemed by not showing that freaking show in that time slot! You think CSI and House are too "graphic" to show at 6 PM? Then don't fucking show them at that point! That is so much easier than cutting something out of the episode, something that could be vital! Or even funny!

Also: just because it's animated, does not mean it's appropriate for kids!
Hey look it's The Simpsons! You know, that cute little family with funny yellow skin, it's so funny with Bart getting strangled and the adult jokes in it and the word slut and-Oh my God, this is an inappropriate joke for children! We must cut it!

Come on, you guys! The Simpsons is not intended for children - at least, not for younger children. Around the age of 9 or 10, you can have them watch The Simpsons with no problem. Majority of the time, I didn't even get some of those more adult jokes until I hit my teens.

That's another thing, people thinking that every adult joke would be understandable by kids. I'm pretty intelligent and I was a pretty intelligent kid, but I can assure you that we do not get tons of adult jokes until we grow older. We don't see someone Cough-Call someone a Slut and think it's bad. Or even the joke of "This ice cream is going straight to my thighs", "Well, they'll get some company later" and realize what it actually refers to.
Kids don't get adult jokes, no need to cut them out cause some parent thinks "OmG my kid heard the word 'slut', it will now grow up to be a drug-dealing-taking-mass-murder-rapist!!"

C-A

You know, a Mario game!

I fullheartedly agree on the whole censorship thing. It reminds me of that episode of Family Guy where the FCC censors all of television and when Peter starts his own network they start censoring real life. It's an excellent parody of censorship, and I miss the days back when Family Guy could actually be funny without offending every ethnic and religious group.

My school was quite bad when it came to censorship. When we did a school play of Oliver Twist, about half of the script was censored. All implications of child abuse were changed to simple scolding, all references to death and funerals were removed entirely, and, possibly the dumbest change of all, they changed the lyrics of one of the songs from "arms that hold you like you're in your mother's womb" to "arms that hold you like you're hearing a soft tune". And did I mention that this was when I was in 6th grade?
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

The King of All

I agree about the unnecessary censorship, but I agree with some censorship in kid shows, like how in Pokémon where they didn't release the gun episode in the west, or censoring out the scenes of James in a bikini. Batman: The Animated Series also is a kid show and has guns, but the difference is that kids see that only the bad guys use guns and kids want to be like Batman, who is firmly against guns.

As for The Simpsons, it's always been a family friendly show. It has adult content here and there, but it generally appeals to families. Family Guy to me though is way worse than The Simpsons, I've seen a few of the recent episodes, and it's definitely an adult show. I can see Fox censoring some stuff though, if content gets too inappropriate.

And as for CSI and House, I can see it being later at night. This isn't just content wise, but also the fact that many people eat dinner around 6, and new episodes of shows generally come on at prime time, 8, 9, and 10. Content wise, I can see it airing later for the same reason Dual Destinies was rated M. In those shows, there are murders, blood and gore on the walls, floors, etc. Not really stuff for kids.

Quote:
I agree about the unnecessary censorship, but I agree with some censorship in kid shows, like how in Pokémon where they didn't release the gun episode in the west, or censoring out the scenes of James in a bikini.

But why? Okay, I may understand censoring guns to an extent but if the west censors guns on a kids' show, they know the gun control of their country sucks. Censoring TV is not gonna change that. As for James in a bikini... what's the harm? He stuffs himself, so? He wears women's clothes, so? Like I said before: kids don't get that stuff. And even if they do get it, it's not gonna mean that much to them. Or better yet, they get it and accept it, because their parents explained to them that some people may do something for this or that reason.

Quote:
and new episodes of shows generally come on at prime time, 8, 9, and 10.

Well then, that's the problem with the scheduling to begin with. If they think the prime time slot is too "requires to be family friendly" at that point for the show's episode - you know, that show that is based on Crime Scene. Or Medicine. You know, the stuff that is disgusting - then don't. fucking. show it at that time!

C-A

The King of All

What is the target audience for the Pokémon anime?
Boys and girls 10 and under.

The people in charge of censoring the show saw that it was inappropriate to air an episode featuring characters pointing guns at others. I agree with this decision, little kids really don't need to see gun violence, and look at the other shows aimed at the same target audience.

Spongebob? No guns. Fairly OddParents? No guns.

Am I against unnecessary censorship? Yes. Is removing the one episode with guns unnecessary? No.

The cape is self-fluttering

Fairly Oddparents counterpoint: Things that shoot
Fairly Oddparents counterpoint: More things that shoot
Spongebob counterpoint: Is this preferable to a gun?

Seriously, what is with the specific targeting of guns? I could understand being uncomfortable with violence in general, especially without proper context. But guns don't make a cartoon more violent or inappropriate than other things. Would it be better if people were pointing knives or swords at each other? How about if they just got into an good old-fashioned fist fight?

Looney Tunes of old had far more instances of violence involving guns, yet I never heard of a kid who was traumatized by Yosemite Sam or Elmer Fudd, or all the violent things Wile E. Coyote intended to do to an innocent Roadrunner but backfired on himself. It's very interesting how times have changed.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

The King of All

I use the example of gun violence as censorship in the West because the topic has become a lot more sensitive, especially in America.

I remember reading that before Beware the Batman aired, a week after the Aurora, Colorado shooting, Warner Brothers announced that they would change all guns in the show, making it all look less realistic like changing the barrels from round to square.

Among other things, I think guns/weapons are the most censored things in TV and film.

Your average dudette

As someone who played violent videogames and watched violent shows since little (Not that I played the whole time.) I never had problems regarding with violence and the worst I have ever done was saying a curse word (And they corrected me as soon as possible.).
I think the key is parenting, my parents took the time to explain me that guns and such are certainly a big no-no in real life and they told the consequences of killing and hurting people. Of course they tried to forbid me from playing violent games or watching DBZ but at some point they let me do whatever I wanted as long as I kept getting good grades and behaving well. I remained true to my word and behaved like a good girl.
So basically, another thing that grinds my gears are negligent parents who try to pin the fault at something else like the TV.

Quote:
So basically, another thing that grinds my gears are negligent parents who try to pin the fault at something else like the TV.

Right? Even worse if they complain to the creators and the creators actually change things to appease them. Like Lord Zedd in Power Rangers! Parents complained that Zedd was too scary for their children, giving them nightmares and they wanted them to change him - and what did they do, had him and Rita marry and make those two a bickering couple.
What the FUCK, parents?! Hello, you are the parents! You can still control things! He's too scary for your kids, don't let your kids watch that! I bet those are the type of parents who were that one kid in a kindergarten group that was allergic to something and that resulted in everybody's food being changed so that the one thing that one kid is allergic to will not encounter it.
Cuddle-cation, you morons! How about you teach your kids that not everything is gonna go as planned? That the few have to sometimes make compromises for the many, not that the many have to compromise for the few. Stupid parents! Learn responsibility!

As for the Fairly Odd Parents thing, yeah, I was gonna point out that the show had a ton of jokes that would not be appropriate for kids eventually. Also, generally some "scary" imagery. Like, look at that teacher Crudge or so and his spastic movements when he says the words fairy godparents. Not to mention that Vicky was the ultimate evil in that show for a long time. I kinda stopped watching eventually.
Also... that showed had MPreg! What the FUCK! MPreg is totally NORMAL to watch in a kids' show, although it's a horrible abomination of nature in reality? Great fucking message, people!

And I live and grew up in Germany, I am pretty loose when it comes to stuff. I learned early onwards, yeah some people do some things for some reason that I may not understand and I shouldn't hate them or scream when I encounter them or so. All a matter of the upbringing. As for guns, ever since I got allowance, my mother gave me a rule with it: I could buy anything I wanted with the money, except drugs or guns. And I have kept my promise to this day.

I think I can only think of... one instance where my mother stepped in on what I was watching. I was watching Dr Slump and it was an episode where he had those goggles that allow him to see through everything that was not alive. At the scene where he sees Midori naked - shoulder upwards - and then gets run over by the car, my mother said that maybe I should not be watching that.
To be quite honest, I forget how that ended, but I remember thinking that it wasn't that bad of a thing to watch. I can't even remember how old I was, I'm guessing 10+ or maybe even 12 years old. So it wasn't like I was an impressionable six year old anymore.

Only other instance I can think of is One Piece.... but that wasn't really censorship. She said I could watch the day's One Piece episode, if I read 3 pages of Krabat first. Which I did and she questioned me. One time there were two One Piece episodes in a row, I didn't know and she made me read the other 3 pages during the episode...! How that ended was that I ended up liking Krabat and finished reading it before One Piece came on again.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

Right? Even worse if they complain to the creators and the creators actually change things to appease them. Like Lord Zedd in Power Rangers! Parents complained that Zedd was too scary for their children, giving them nightmares and they wanted them to change him - and what did they do, had him and Rita marry and make those two a bickering couple.
What the FUCK, parents?! Hello, you are the parents! You can still control things! He's too scary for your kids, don't let your kids watch that! I bet those are the type of parents who were that one kid in a kindergarten group that was allergic to something and that resulted in everybody's food being changed so that the one thing that one kid is allergic to will not encounter it.
Cuddle-cation, you morons! How about you teach your kids that not everything is gonna go as planned? That the few have to sometimes make compromises for the many, not that the many have to compromise for the few. Stupid parents! Learn responsibility!

As for the Fairly Odd Parents thing, yeah, I was gonna point out that the show had a ton of jokes that would not be appropriate for kids eventually. Also, generally some "scary" imagery. Like, look at that teacher Crudge or so and his spastic movements when he says the words fairy godparents. Not to mention that Vicky was the ultimate evil in that show for a long time. I kinda stopped watching eventually.
Also... that showed had MPreg! What the FUCK! MPreg is totally NORMAL to watch in a kids' show, although it's a horrible abomination of nature in reality? Great fucking message, people!

And I live and grew up in Germany, I am pretty loose when it comes to stuff. I learned early onwards, yeah some people do some things for some reason that I may not understand and I shouldn't hate them or scream when I encounter them or so. All a matter of the upbringing. As for guns, ever since I got allowance, my mother gave me a rule with it: I could buy anything I wanted with the money, except drugs or guns. And I have kept my promise to this day.

C-A

I'm not against all censorship, I think we are getting too liberal with our children in what they can watch but rather than it being the fault of the parents I think it's more a case of the content becoming increasingly grown up. Music videos especially I think have changed since I was a kid. I remember light-hearted things like S-Club and The Cartoons even further back The Singing Kettle. Now we've got the likes of Wrecking Ball and barely-clothed individuals in every other music video out there.

It's more a change in standards, Lord Zedd might not seem bad now but at the time he might have been quite bad. :ron: Also if the children enjoyed the show mostly apart from one part wouldn't you rather the children didn't have to deal with it rather than taking it all away from them?

Only thing I was really banned from watching as a kid was South Park...whether it's through their influence or just myself, I've since grown up to regard it with disdain. Sadly my friends think it's the best thing ever and it's sort of a running joke that I am basically Butters from that show. I've seen a few episodes and while they have a few moments the core of it is still pretty offensive to me so...

Thanks Mum and Dad for censorship I guess xD
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Quote:
Only thing I was really banned from watching as a kid was South Park...whether it's through their influence or just myself, I've since grown up to regard it with disdain. Sadly my friends think it's the best thing ever and it's sort of a running joke that I am basically Butters from that show. I've seen a few episodes and while they have a few moments the core of it is still pretty offensive to me so...

I dunno, I kinda gave up on South Park when I was younger all by myself. I'm all for toilet humor and raunchy jokes at times, but I feel like South Park is just plain overdoing it. Out of the few episodes I caught over the last few years, I can say that I liked the World of Warcraft and the Facebook one. Those were funny for me.

C-A

The King of All

What's really strange though is how loose the Cartoon Network censors are nowadays. There's a show on there called Regular Show, where in one episode, a character sees another character naked and is traumatized the entire episode.

Another show on there is Adventure Time filled with naked people, blood and gore, violence, weapons, sex references, and the fact that the main characters, Finn and Jake, go down under numerous times (not Australia down under). You think Zedd was scary? The main villain, the Lich, will haunt your dreams. The entire show is just based off of the world turning back to normal after a nuclear war destroyed humanity centuries prior.Despite all that, I don't think it would really hurt kids since its all just fantasy, but CN really got loose with censorship.

I agree with what Pierre is saying, back in the 60's, there was this show I can't recall the name of where the censors were so tight, the husband and wife had to sleep in separate beds. A show like Adventure Time would probably never air. The big deal about censoring shows is that the people who make these decisions only want to protect the children. The children who can be influenced by popular media. Just look at middle schoolers: obnoxious kids trying to get in with the times. You see 12 year olds twerking, saying stuff like "hey I have more swag than you lolz", and all kinds of stuff like that. As you can see, the things kids are watching have become more adult oriented and the censors are just there to stop kids from being influenced in the wrong things.

Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

Pierre wrote:
I'm not against all censorship, I think we are getting too liberal with our children in what they can watch but rather than it being the fault of the parents I think it's more a case of the content becoming increasingly grown up. Music videos especially I think have changed since I was a kid. I remember light-hearted things like S-Club and The Cartoons even further back The Singing Kettle. Now we've got the likes of Wrecking Ball and barely-clothed individuals in every other music video.

I used to love those bands as a kid....I feel really sad now. :sadshoe:

Anyway, I never really noticed any sex references in kids shows when I was young, but I guess kids today are more aware of that kind of thing. I've known kids in my area with boyfriends or girlfriends before they've left primary school. Obviously not seriously, but I was never even thinking of that sort of thing when I was eleven. :ron:

I would get upset at some things on TV. That being said, weird, random stuff would frighten me as a kid, even when stuff people would normally consider scary wouldn't.

Gettin' Old!

Quote:
I would get upset at some things on TV. That being said, weird, random stuff would frighten me as a kid, even when stuff people would normally consider scary wouldn't.

Courage the Cowardly Dog shoulda been censored right off the air when I was a kid, that show terrified me.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Quote:

Courage the Cowardly Dog shoulda been censored right off the air when I was a kid, that show terrified me.

Funny thing is, I love that show now. Had I seen it as a child, I'd have been horrified. :beef:

The Disney movie Fantasia scarred me as a kid, even though I've heard others say they loved it as a child.

Louise wrote:

Fuck Children! I stand by it, the TV is not what should bring the children up, it's the parents. If the parents think what they are watching is too "old" for them, then tell them to not watch it.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

Mirii-chan wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Quote:

Funny thing is, I love that show now. Had I seen it as a child, I'd have been horrified. :beef:

The Disney movie Fantasia scarred me as a kid, even though I've heard others say they loved it as a child.

You ain't alone, as a kid my pal dozed off at the start of that film.

He woke up during the "Night on Bald Mountain" scene and was terrified forever.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The King of All

CatMuto wrote:
Louise wrote:

Fuck Children! I stand by it, the TV is not what should bring the children up, it's the parents. If the parents think what they are watching is too "old" for them, then tell them to not watch it.

C-A

The children are humanity's future. It's best to not mess them up. :yogi:

You know, a Mario game!

When I was a kid, my parents were just a tad bit over protective. They wouldn't even let me get toy guns. No super soakers, no nerf guns, no cap guns, nothing. They would let me buy toy swords, though, for some reason, just not guns. They also wouldn't even let me leave the house by myself until I was 15. Their hearts are in the right place, though, they're just a tad bit over protective.
My Twitter Account

Deadpool 9 wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
Louise wrote:

C-A

The children are humanity's future. It's best to not mess them up. :yogi:

Children are not our future. :that-b-word: :-P
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

The King of All

Back in my day, I didn't know what a stick was either! :beef:

Darn lead poisoning. :yogi:

In Justice We Trust

You know what really grinds my gears? Video ads on websites. They interrupt my music, making me have to stop reading the article, looking at the images, or what have you so I can figure out where the blasted ad is so I can mute it. No, I am not interested in switching to Geico; I am interested in figuring out how I can survive that annoying attack that keeps killing me. Great. Now I lost my place because I stopped to shut you up. And you ruined the best part of Mazeppa when you started your inane yapping! [sigh] And I thought pop-up ads were annoying... Of course, then they take it a step farther when the plugin necessary to play the ads inevitably crashes, which in turn makes my browser freeze until it gives me the prompt to manually stop the plugin. Whoever came up with these blights on the Internet should be stuck listening to these ads every time they try to do something online and should have their browser freeze every five minutes.
I'll always love you, Max.

earthlings on fire

You know what grinds my gears more than almost anything else?

People who outright deny climate change. People who treat it like some kind of religion-- "Oh, I don't believe in global warming," they say as if it was up to their faith or not. Often times these people are rude commenters on news sites with poor grammar-- they've probably not taken many science courses.

"See, they're wrong-- global warming is just a story made up by the government!" they also say when new information comes out that may have contradicted old information. Um... that's how science works. We're continually finding new information because scientists are testing and researching. New information does not render everything before it invalid.

"All of the scientists who support global warming get more money then those who don't." :ron: :ron: :ron: I'm pretty sure Stephen Harper would give his right kidney and half of his bank account for solid information that went against climate change. So many governments would pay FOR such scientific findings, not try to cover it up.

It's so tiring and infuriating because people who say these things are not climatologists, meteorologists, environmentalists, etc. People just like to think that they can make conclusions without understanding anything about it. Just because you don't like what you're hearing doesn't mean you can cover your ears and ignore everything.

Hank Green does a great job at discussing the invalid arguments: here
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Heh heh.

Right now, what's grinding my gears is the utter lack of local multiplayer nowadays.

I mean, seriously: My bro and I just picked up Battle of Z. DBZ, fighting game; while normally I object somewhat to fighting games (because I suck at them and that's almost the only genre my bro ever pays for :oops: ), anything Dragonball-related has always, always been the exception, and I was happy to get my ass kicked because Dragonball. We plugged it in a couple of hours ago. Guess what? Single player only. The only multiplayer available was online multiplayer, which is a damn shame because I love the graphics and such so much, but I won't be able to enjoy it with my bro. He's going to play it 90% of the time it's in there, because I suck balls at, well, a lot of games, actually, so 90% of the time, it'll be his turn. Just like freaking Need for Speed Rivals and just about everything else we've picked up recently.

Honestly? This lack of local multiplayer accounts for an awful lot of my current distaste for Xbox and PlayStation. Great games out there, don't get me wrong. And single-player RPGs actually swing right up my alley. But it winds up being ultimately pointless for me, because the entire time I spend playing anything other than Trauma Center or Phoenix Wright on WiiWare on any TV console either gets cut short for one reason or another (time to leave the house, time to do homework, time to do chores, time to make sure I don't burn dinner, time to go to bed) or gets monopolized by my bro.

I suppose I ought to be thankful I have my DSi and 3DS to myself. There's a reason why those are where most of my games are.
So I finally grew a brain and remembered to give myself a signature... Whoopee.
Snackoos IRL. They are delicious and are covered in real chocolate. #so-grateful-I'm-Filipino

Excuse me if I contradict myself. I do that.

Gettin' Old!

9mayasato9 wrote:
Right now, what's grinding my gears is the utter lack of local multiplayer nowadays.

I mean, seriously: My bro and I just picked up Battle of Z. DBZ, fighting game; while normally I object somewhat to fighting games (because I suck at them and that's almost the only genre my bro ever pays for :oops: ), anything Dragonball-related has always, always been the exception, and I was happy to get my ass kicked because Dragonball. We plugged it in a couple of hours ago. Guess what? Single player only. The only multiplayer available was online multiplayer, which is a damn shame because I love the graphics and such so much, but I won't be able to enjoy it with my bro. He's going to play it 90% of the time it's in there, because I suck balls at, well, a lot of games, actually, so 90% of the time, it'll be his turn. Just like freaking Need for Speed Rivals and just about everything else we've picked up recently.

Honestly? This lack of local multiplayer accounts for an awful lot of my current distaste for Xbox and PlayStation. Great games out there, don't get me wrong. And single-player RPGs actually swing right up my alley. But it winds up being ultimately pointless for me, because the entire time I spend playing anything other than Trauma Center or Phoenix Wright on WiiWare on any TV console either gets cut short for one reason or another (time to leave the house, time to do homework, time to do chores, time to make sure I don't burn dinner, time to go to bed) or gets monopolized by my bro.

I suppose I ought to be thankful I have my DSi and 3DS to myself. There's a reason why those are where most of my games are.

The Wii U is ALLLL about Local Multiplayer /shameless flog.

Though yeah it's a real shame these days that there's only really attention being played to online Multiplayer these days. I remember when I first got MvC3 and I was shocked that there wasn't really any non-arcade single player mode. So I couldn't just pick a foe and battle them at a constant difficulty level or if I just needed time to kill just set random up against random and play like that. Sure I could always rig Practice Mode to play LIKE regular single player but it's a lot of hassle and the end result isn't as good as just straight up playing online.

So I need to make do with Arcade mode with it's silly difficulty levels or online with it's SILLIER difficulty levels.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You know, a Mario game!

Cravat of Doom wrote:
You know what grinds my gears more than almost anything else?

People who outright deny climate change. People who treat it like some kind of religion-- "Oh, I don't believe in global warming," they say as if it was up to their faith or not. Often times these people are rude commenters on news sites with poor grammar-- they've probably not taken many science courses.

"See, they're wrong-- global warming is just a story made up by the government!" they also say when new information comes out that may have contradicted old information. Um... that's how science works. We're continually finding new information because scientists are testing and researching. New information does not render everything before it invalid.

"All of the scientists who support global warming get more money then those who don't." :ron: :ron: :ron: I'm pretty sure Stephen Harper would give his right kidney and half of his bank account for solid information that went against climate change. So many governments would pay FOR such scientific findings, not try to cover it up.

It's so tiring and infuriating because people who say these things are not climatologists, meteorologists, environmentalists, etc. People just like to think that they can make conclusions without understanding anything about it. Just because you don't like what you're hearing doesn't mean you can cover your ears and ignore everything.

Hank Green does a great job at discussing the invalid arguments: here

It's like the people who still say that the holocaust never happened. I know someone like that, I can't believe they could actually say that one of the greatest tragedies of the past 100 years never happened and those millions of people who died there never actually died! I get really angry when I hear people say that.
My Twitter Account

In Justice We Trust

The basic problem with any conspiracy theorist's reasoning is that it asks opponents to prove a negative.

No proof that the conspiracy exists? That's because the conspirators have covered it up.
Still no proof even after the alleged conspirators have shown us everything? That just means they didn't really show us everything.

A conspiracy theorist will never be satisfied by a lack of evidence. To them, the alleged conspirators are guilty until proven innocent, and the theorists are the jury.
I'll always love you, Max.

I wonder how many conspiracy theorists consider how insulting and hurtful their words are to the loved ones of those who have died in tragedies like 9/11 and Sandy Hook.

I don't take issue with speculating, or with questioning things, but hardcore conspiracy theorists just make me want to run, not walk, in the opposite direction of the crazy.

...NAILED IT

What's Sandy Hook?

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
What's Sandy Hook?

C-A

You could have searched it, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Hook ... l_shooting

A recent tragedy where some very young children died in a school shooting. I don't really want to think about it much more than that; you can read the Wikipedia page if you want to know what happened.

The conspiracy theories make me so angry. There was one where people were saying that the grieving parents were hired actors and one father "wasn't very convincing." I feel sick thinking about it. What's more likely: he was paid by the government to pretend to be sad that his fake child died in order to further gun control laws against law-abiding American citizens, or HIS CHILD DIED AND HE'S GENUINELY UPSET? Especially since, worst of all, the American government did absolutely nothing about gun control laws in the wake of such an awful, awful event. There's questioning the government, and then there's being that kind of douchebag.

Gettin' Old!

Coyote wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
What's Sandy Hook?

C-A

You could have searched it, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Hook ... l_shooting

A recent tragedy where some very young children died in a school shooting. I don't really want to think about it much more than that; you can read the Wikipedia page if you want to know what happened.

The conspiracy theories make me so angry. There was one where people were saying that the grieving parents were hired actors and one father "wasn't very convincing." I feel sick thinking about it. What's more likely: he was paid by the government to pretend to be sad that his fake child died in order to further gun control laws against law-abiding American citizens, or HIS CHILD DIED AND HE'S GENUINELY UPSET? Especially since, worst of all, the American government did absolutely nothing about gun control laws in the wake of such an awful, awful event. There's questioning the government, and then there's being that kind of douchebag.

I thought Gun Law Reforms were still being considered in the wake of that event?

I remember the NRA's response, that they should just put guns in schools for self defence or better yet police in schools. :ron:

Both of which seem awful ideas.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

earthlings on fire

From what I can tell from American media, anti-gun-reform people (generally Republicans) seem to default to the phrase "don't use this event for your own political agenda for gun control" like it's somehow disrespectful to those involved to try and talk about changing gun laws when talking about the tragedy.

I don't see the logic in that at all, and I don't understand why people only use this phrase when it comes to gun control. People don't want such a horrible thing to happen again so of course they're going to talk about change! What's disrespectful is keeping the status quo and not doing anything to prevent further tragedies.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Gettin' Old!

Cravat of Doom wrote:
From what I can tell from American media, anti-gun-reform people (generally Republicans) seem to default to the phrase "don't use this event for your own political agenda for gun control" like it's somehow disrespectful to those involved to try and talk about changing gun laws when talking about the tragedy.

I don't see the logic in that at all, and I don't understand why people only use this phrase when it comes to gun control. People don't want such a horrible thing to happen again so of course they're going to talk about change! What's disrespectful is keeping the status quo and not doing anything to prevent further tragedies.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Sure some folks might be trying to play the field with politics and garner political favour from the public with this event but it doesn't change the original fact that there is deep sentiment in the people that something needs to be done to improve gun control.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I blame the constitution for including that bit of having the "right to bear arms".

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
I blame the constitution for including that bit of having the "right to bear arms".

C-A

I don't think you should blame the Constitution for that, and if you go into the history of our country, you will understand why guns will never ever be fully illegal, and they never should. I'm all for gun-reform laws, but there is a very good reason why our Constitution has that amendment in it.

When America was created, who were the Americans? They were a group of mostly farmers who fought for what they believed to be inalienable human rights, fighting not for themselves, but for humanity. (Declaration of Independence and Constitution backs this idea up) These people were being restricted by what they perceived as unfair laws, and decided to do something about it, but they were vastly inferior to the greatest army in the world, which was the British army at the time. Guns, are a great equalizer, allowing the common man, with little to no training, to be able to kill a soldier. While this may seem like nothing to you, think about the past methods of warfare. If you're using a sword, you need to be highly trained and physically fit to use it well, and if I had to go with a sword against a professional soldier, there is no way that I'd be able to kill him. He would overpower me easily, and I'd have no chance. Now when we look at guns, anyone can use it to similar effectiveness as a trained soldier. Obviously the trained soldier would be more adept at things such as aiming, but I can point a gun and shoot at a soldier, and the soldier will day. With a gun, it empowers the weak, which is the idea upon which America was founded upon. Without this clause, America would've contradicted the very ideals it created upon, which is why it is so important to so many Americans.

Honestly, I'm not sure what can be done to improve gun control at the national level. How many laws will change the fact that a mom allowed her severely mentally ill son access to guns and showed him to use them? Obviously not with that intent in mind, but isn't this just common sense?

Some more perspective here: school shootings are not a new thing. They've been going on for 150 years or so, at least in the US. It's hard to say if it's any better or any worse in number of incidents; there are more people in the world now (In the US alone, we have 315 million people in 2013, up from the 31 million we had in 1860... a 10x increase), and thanks to modern technology and the media, tragedies get reported almost the instant they happen.

I have no idea if gun control laws help or hurt, and they can vary by state. I've read of bans resulting in both increases and declines in homicides, depending on where the ban was implemented. Which makes me think that there are other factors involved.

...NAILED IT
Page 8 of 39 [ 1554 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 39  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices