Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 2 of 3[ 84 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: Exogenesis - Perils of Rebirth [AA-inspired post-apoc gaTopic%20Title

Check out our website. Hopefully we can make the demo available there soon! :edgey: http://exogenesisvn.com/

Yo, you might be raising the bar of visual novel presentations. I think major gaming outlets would be interested in this if you can send in some press release info regarding the trailer video showing the "sprites" talking, and in what looks like TV-quality anime format.

Don't call me Shirley

That's one project I'll DEFINITELY follow from now on :grey: it's amazing how this looks and sounds like a visual novel crafted by an experienced studio, and not like an indie debut. You definitely got something on your hands regarding the art style and atmosphere.

I gotta agree with some earlier comments pointing out that the story may be missing a hook though. Or more accurately, that your pitch may be missing a hook. I am more than aware that you can pour some tremendous effort into creating a riveting story with nearly perfect pacing and an endless stream of plot twists for more than 20 hours, and yet, when it comes to explaining in a few words the premise of the whole thing, you are shocked at how dull it deceptively sounds, but you might want to consider the whole thing and ask yourselves what parts, what earlier events are really unique and will instantly pique the potential buyer's interest, even if it means aiming the spotlight at events that are NOT representative of what the first few hours are all about.

Well we have a demo out now, and if you wanna try it out, just send me your e-mail address so we can give you access since it's on Google Drive.

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

A demo? Sweet. And can't you make the demo public?
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

BonnyMono wrote:

We're a bit paranoid about stuff breaking, but we're going public once we address the bugs that come up during this phase. :yogi:

Don't call me Shirley

ktalkimist wrote:
BonnyMono wrote:

We're a bit paranoid about stuff breaking, but we're going public once we address the bugs that come up during this phase. :yogi:

You're actually doing it right ! One doesn't want its game to get public exposure too soon and leave a bad (and unrepresentative) first impression.

In case you haven't heard, there's an on-going movement to support Zero Escape 3 and help it get funded. You can check out https://www.facebook.com/operationbluebirdze3 or add Kotaro Uchikoshi on Facebook yourself at https://www.facebook.com/kotaro.uchikoshi.

Let's all support ZE3!

Turnabout RPG Developer

ktalkimist wrote:
In case you haven't heard, there's an on-going movement to support Zero Escape 3 and help it get funded. You can check out https://www.facebook.com/operationbluebirdze3 or add Kotaro Uchikoshi on Facebook yourself at https://www.facebook.com/kotaro.uchikoshi.

Let's all support ZE3!

I'm not gonna lie, it took me a few moments to realize what was going on with her arm sticking out of the computer. Man, late night coffee really messes ya up. I really hope to see ZE3 get made some time, this is the one game that I would happily KickStarter with no reward. I just want to see what happens and finally witness the end of one of the greatest VN series ever made.

More on topic, I've been meaning to post here ever since you made the OP. I don't really have much to say that hasn't been said already, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm hardly in a place to call someone out on doing something weird with the AA series, whether it's actually using the universe or just being inspired by it, and I honestly can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one.

I really hope this campaign works out. 999 was a huge influence to me personally, and Uchikoshi-san seems like a really cool and down-to-earth kind of guy! Here's a convo we had after I posted a video of him on his FB page:

Fate Testarossa

Wow. Endorsement by Uchikoshi himself? Impressive.

Fate is made by クロス

1000% Knight

Whoa, that's really cool. You actually got to chat with him on FB?!

And huh, he really does know English. (You know, you can never be sure xP He even used internet lingo, like "btw")
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

I think most guys with years of experience like him have some grasp of English. Nobuo Uematsu-san is pretty close to fluent. :P

1000% Knight

Still, ya never know...

I was actually showing this to our composer. You'll see here that veteran Japanese video game composers know their English. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mCBvfLP_J4

Don't call me Shirley

Bad Player wrote:
Whoa, that's really cool. You actually got to chat with him on FB?!

And huh, he really does know English. (You know, you can never be sure xP He even used internet lingo, like "btw")

Yeah, since the series reached the west, Uchikoshi really went out of his way to answers fans requests, give interviews and give half confidential informations about the state of the series. Really few VG makers do that (well, most have a twitter, but they stay very formal).

ktalkimist wrote:
I was actually showing this to our composer. You'll see here that veteran Japanese video game composers know their English. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mCBvfLP_J4

The vid put a smile on my face :) Japanese composers are surprisingly nearly all fluent in english : couple of months ago, when I was looking for composers for my own VN, I mailed several of my personal favourites to ask them to join, thinking "what the hell, maybe they have a basic understanding of english, you never know". Turns out they nearly all wrote back (and interested, too).

BTW I'll give you feedback on your project as soon as I have a couple of hours to try it out...!

Can you please share links to these interviews? I can't seem to find any that was released after his English Twitter announcements.

I'm actually uploading an updated version of the demo right now, improved based on feedback from our limited demo releases. Gonna post links here when they're ready!

Don't call me Shirley

Actually, the ones I was talking about were all released prior to his english twitter ! But I'm sure he will release more info soon. Knowing the guy, he would certainly accept if we were to ask him for an interview ourselves.

I'll wait for the improved demo then, I'm looking forward to it !

Alright, I hope there aren't bugs anymore because we haven't extensively checked yet. Please let us know what you think!

Windows: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9riuor5da7pcwh1/exo_0.17-win.zip
Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkn4eiege8qrku3/exo_0.17-mac.zip

And then, there was nerve-wracking silence... :viola:

Don't call me Shirley

My anti virus wouldn't let me download it, but I finally got it :shoe: testing it ATM !

Looking forward to your impressions. :D

Yo the dl link isn't working, can you reup it to a different filehost?

Currently uploading a revised version based on feedback. Stay tuned!

EDIT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/crri24agsgj4bz0/exo_0.17-all.rar

Don't call me Shirley

I just finished the first version of the demo, so my impressions will be based on it !

- one thing I wondered several times was whether the demo was the beginning of the game as it will be in the final version, or a patchwork of separated moments ? Sometimes I felt that the structure was a little "disjointed", and didn't necessarily understand how I got from one place to another :/

- art is excellent, not too original but very neat

- the escape the room section is well done, you did a good job of mixing puzzles and background informations

- I'm less convinced by the "convince Eiji" sequence ; I don't quite know how to put it, but it felt a bit redundant and static ; maybe a dedicated mini game would be welcome, that, or create a stronger context for the conversations with him : basically you wouldn't be heading to the bar each time and come up with the same subject, but maybe encounter him in a variety of dynamic situations where your actions and choices would affect his mood toward you in a more spontaneous way...? (Which leads me to my next point)

- dialogue is excellent and you did a great job of conveying background information without it feeling forced ; however the demo could use a tighter plot IMO. I know that in point and click games it's important to leave some freedom to the player, but I believe a better balance could be found.

Sorry if I sound negative, I just intended to focus on what could be polished, I purposedly left tons of good things out of my post :shoe:

Thanks a lot for the feedback! It's always helpful for us to hear from different points of view. I get what you mean about having a tighter plot, but there's a danger of making the story feel too contrived which is something I personally try to avoid. :yogi:

Stuck in the first room, I got three items and I don't know what to do.

I might as well give you my 2c, up to now.

Your graphics/artwork are phenomenal, better than a lot of pro games I've seen. The music is good and the dialogue is nice also.

Some things that gritted me:

1) I didn't know who was who at the beginning of the game, there was three characters talking at the start? But I only saw the girl who was hanging. Please find a way to make it obvious to the reader who the MC is. It may be obvious to you, but to people like me, it isn't.

2) I hope I don't come across as thick here, but it may be an idea to employ a hint system. What your game is lacking is a good hook, and I'm not too drawn in to the game yet and already I'm stuck in the first puzzle room. I've worked out a fair bit, such as the color password and how to use the hammer but now I am genuinely stuck. Without a good hook, the reader won't have a reason to carry on reading. Perhaps introduce the MC a bit more before throwing in the puzzle or the storyline. Otherwise, I advise on a hint system. Even 999's first few puzzles weren't that hard.

3) Maybe when a cursor goes over an object you could flash the cursor? I.e. areas I have not investigated or already investigated.

Otherwise, your game has a LOT of potential and I would probably buy it.

Thanks for trying it out! We're definitely gonna make the item you're missing more obvious in the next demo build. :)

Dude, that first scene. DAYUMMM. THAT entire scene should tell folks your hook. Did not expect that at all.

You should use more shake/flash effects for emphasis on certain dialogues. Maybe even change the speed of the text to make the dialogue feel unique sometimes for a character.

Also it sometimes hard to tell who's talking, maybe change text color slightly for main chracter vs. someone else sepeaking besides blips?

Keep it up

Huddini wrote:
Dude, that first scene. DAYUMMM. THAT entire scene should tell folks your hook. Did not expect that at all.

You should use more shake/flash effects for emphasis on certain dialogues. Maybe even change the speed of the text to make the dialogue feel unique sometimes for a character.

Also it sometimes hard to tell who's talking, maybe change text color slightly for main chracter vs. someone else sepeaking besides blips?

Keep it up

Well, in the prologue there are unlabeled lines. Or did you also have trouble past that? Changing text speed poses a technical problem we only encountered through feedback; turns out some people like text to display instantly in their VNs, and text speed modifiers kinda mess with that. Hopefully we can find a solution. :yogi:

Changing font colors affects the entire game aesthetically, so we're pretty careful with that. :edgey:

Oh, and the blips vary in pitch based on who's talking.

For those who haven't tried the demo out, here's the latest version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7ndxrcabsjcmwr/Exogenesis_v0.18.3-all.zip

Major improvements include hover graphics to lessen the pixel hunting and a performance bump for those with slower systems.

Please let us know what you think! :jake:

I hope you guys don't mind the shameless plug, but...

Exogenesis is on Kickstarter! You can also check us out on Steam Greenlight and hopefully leave a "Yes" vote.

Thank you! :yogi:

Fate Testarossa

Voted "Yes" for your Steam Greenlight. Best of luck, guys!

Fate is made by クロス

Dracarys!

I haven't really had a chance to play through the demo yet, but I'll try to do that sometime later this week. That's amazing that you're being considered for Greenlight.

Fate Testarossa

Ooh. I just checked Steam. Congrats on getting Greenlit~

Now hopefully the Kickstarter goes well too~

Fate is made by クロス

Thank you! 20 days still feels so far away, though!

Don't call me Shirley

Congrats on the good start of your kickstarter, I'll keep it bookmarked and contribute a few dozen bucks shortly (or a few hundreds if you can tip me on how the heck a european developer can manage to start a campaign, haha :will: ) !

Art Person

Wow! This looks like an amazing game! Best of luck with the funding! I loved the video you guys made for the kickstarter page! It's got me really interested in this game! (I'd love to donate, but I have no way of doing so :sadshoe: )

Is PayPal an option? We've just added a PayPal link on the page. :)

1000% Knight

Tbh I don't pop in here too often so I might be a bit late with this, but gratz on the successful kickstarter!
Page 2 of 3 [ 84 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Games