Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 13 of 15[ 569 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Re: 999: Nine Hours - Nine Persons - Nine DoorsTopic%20Title

Blah!

Honestly, if they had developed this for Android as well, I might be interested in playing the new version too.

Spoiler: 999 major spoilers
I at least would like to know if the iOS version just completely drops the dual screen mechanic twist or if they substitute in some other twist.

OBJECTION!

I dont have an Iphone or anything or IOS but would be interested in seeing it.
Maybe someone will put it up on YT or something (!)
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

grim_tales wrote:

You could always get a ROM of it and play on a DS emulator. Very easy to do.

Gettin' Old!

grim_tales wrote:

Yeah there's definitely a fair few 'Lets plays' of the game up already though I doubt there'd be any reason to wait for an iOS LP over a DS one.

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
grim_tales wrote:

You could always get a ROM of it and play on a DS emulator. Very easy to do.

I'd advise buying the game over an emulator mind. For a lot of companies it's probably not a big deal but the Zero Escape series is actually doubting they'll get the third one out specifically because they aren't sure there's enough sales and interest in the games. XP
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

There's actually a group of fans who did an audio reading of the game. For a bunch of people who aren't actors, they did a pretty good job. Here's the first part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OzhDo6qa6Y

Quote:
I'd advise buying the game over an emulator mind. For a lot of companies it's probably not a big deal but the Zero Escape series is actually doubting they'll get the third one out specifically because they aren't sure there's enough sales and interest in the games. XP

Then buy a copy of the game and then emulate it if it's such a big deal. 999 isn't that expensive these days, so it shouldn't be hard. Hell, used 3DS systems aren't even that expensive anymore.

But it's not the US sales of Zero Escape that Chunsoft was disappointed with. It sold very well here. It's the Japanese sales that didn't do well. That's pretty surprising, especially since this is a visual novel, but that's how it is. I really think though that ZE3 will probably get made eventually. Or maybe we'll just have another Shenmue 3 on our hands. Hope not.

Gettin' Old!

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
There's actually a group of fans who did an audio reading of the game. For a bunch of people who aren't actors, they did a pretty good job. Here's the first part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OzhDo6qa6Y

Quote:

Then buy a copy of the game and then emulate it if it's such a big deal. 999 isn't that expensive these days, so it shouldn't be hard. Hell, used 3DS systems aren't even that expensive anymore.

But it's not the US sales of Zero Escape that Chunsoft was disappointed with. It sold very well here. It's the Japanese sales that didn't do well. That's pretty surprising, especially since this is a visual novel, but that's how it is. I really think though that ZE3 will probably get made eventually. Or maybe we'll just have another Shenmue 3 on our hands. Hope not.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that contrary to what we think, there's just as heavy a stigma on visual novels and Otakus in Japan as there can be here in the West but yeah it's strange it didn't sell well I keep thinking there's some obvious financial or cultural reasoning behind it we are missing. Perhaps Japan didn't really like the first one but gave it a shot, and then concluding that they didn't want more sales dropped for the sequel. :ron:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Quote:
I think I remember hearing somewhere that contrary to what we think, there's just as heavy a stigma on visual novels and Otakus in Japan as there can be here in the West but yeah it's strange it didn't sell well I keep thinking there's some obvious financial or cultural reasoning behind it we are missing. Perhaps Japan didn't really like the first one but gave it a shot, and then concluding that they didn't want more sales dropped for the sequel. :ron:

Yeah, otakus are looked down upon in Japan. It's not something you really want to call yourself there. For some reason, anime is considered "childish" while manga is widely accepted. Apparently, Ghost in the Shell director Mamoru Oshii had to convince Japanese people to see it only because the film was well-received in America.

999 isn't really the typical visual novel. It's very Western in its plot, characters, and themes, with the exception of the names. Other VNs like Steins;Gate and 428 make use of modern Japanese culture which is why those were so well received. It's probably why it was more well-received in the West then over there.

1000% Knight

Pierre wrote:

In Japan, otaku used to refer to someone who was totally, mind-blowingly obsessed with anime/manga. When the term came to America, we basically started using it just to refer to anyone who likes anime/manga. And now that definition is making its way back to Japan, so it isn't quite as stigmatized as it was.

Also, while I don't think there's a "stigma" on visual novels, they aren't really very popular or well-known. (So while the big share of visual novels are made and produced in Japan, it's still a niche market, even in Japan.)

And yes, manga is much more widely "accepted" than anime. Anime in Japan is basically considered the same as cartoons are in the West. I don't really know why it is, tbh. I think it has something to do with the fact that manga has been established longer (like how literature has been around for longer than animation), but *shrug*

(And of course, everything in here is prefaced with "afaik" :P)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Hoooooooollllllllly shiiiiiit. I just beat the game (all endings) and I can say my mind is blown. I really wasn't expecting much from this game but it was way better and smarter than I expected. The ending was really clever. Few things I didn't get though

Spoiler:
How did Ace recognize the 9th man, Snake, and the Captain? How did he know who they were and that he had to kill them?

Why was June always getting so sick?

Who was the killer in the submarine ending? Are we supposed to assume Ace feigned death? Furthermore, who unlocked the doors in the submarine ending? How was this done without the Jupiter key?

What was the point of making June's bracelet 9 (even though the display was 6), Santa's bracelet 0 (even though the display was 3), and the Captain's bracelet 6 (even though the display was 0)? What benefit did this add to the game? Why is there no bracelet number 3 in the game?

Gettin' Old!

JesusMonroe wrote:
Hoooooooollllllllly shiiiiiit. I just beat the game (all endings) and I can say my mind is blown. I really wasn't expecting much from this game but it was way better and smarter than I expected. The ending was really clever. Few things I didn't get though

Spoiler:
How did Ace recognize the 9th man, Snake, and the Captain? How did he know who they were and that he had to kill them?

Why was June always getting so sick?

Who was the killer in the submarine ending? Are we supposed to assume Ace feigned death?

What was the point of making June's bracelet 9 (even though the display was 6), Santa's bracelet 0 (even though the display was 3), and the Captain's bracelet 6 (even though the display was 0)? What benefit did this add to the game? Why is there no bracelet number 3 in the game?

Spoiler: 999 Big Spoilers
Ah I do love it when someone new beats the game, reminds me of the wonderous things they did.

1: Ace recognises people based on context, he might have remembered the 9th Man's voice or have talked to the Captain. He had to kill all 3 because they might piece together who he actually was and reveal it which would put him in a dangerous position. In Safe ending he goes onto kill Clover as well. He could also identify Snake by his clothes and voice and the fact he's blind I'd imagine.

2: Whenever June gets sick, it's because the timeline is skewing to the point where she shouldn't exist. If she gets horribly sick the timeline starts to hurt her to correct itself and revoke her existence. It's why she disappears entirely in the Safe and Submarine ending.

3: Yep Ace was faking it and snuck up and knifed everyone. The clue is meant to be in that Lotus' bracelet is missing, which is the one he needs to escape.

4: I'm sorry I can't remember the game well enough to answer this question. I think maybe it was the reason her and Santa could always go together?

Made by Chesu+Zombee

1000% Knight

Pierre ninja'd me, so... curse you, Pierre :yani-fist:
Still, no reason not to post it.

Spoiler:
For the 9th man, probably clothes and voice. For Snake, I suppose the voice has probably changed a lot. But Clover used her real name, so a sister named Clover with a blind brother may have been unique enough for Ace to figure out who they were. Ace most likely didn't recognize Captain's clothes... but maybe he introduced himself to Ace when Ace entered the room? He wasn't expecting Ace to murder him or anything, IIRC.

June gets sick when Junpei goes down a timeline that's not the 'true' ending, because that means that June couldn't have been saved in the past. The fever is June disappearing due to the temporal contradiction. (It's also where she disappears to in one of the endings.)
...Don't ask why she gets a fever when the 9th man dies, tho.

Yep, it's Ace. That's why Lotus' bracelet is gone from her corpse.

For teh lulz. Yeah, there isn't much of a reason, I think. I think it was just a "rule of cool" because, c'mon man, how in the world do all the numbers work out so well?!!?!?!??!
(But yeah, I thought it was kind of weird, because one of the foundations/assumptions they use in that deduction segment is how there wouldn't be multiple... 6 (I think it was 6, might've been a different number) bracelets, but their conclusion was that there were multiple 9 bracelets.)

Bonus fun fact: the numbers actually work out even better in the Japanese version, because it couldn't be translated into English. The Japanese word for 9 is "kyuu". So when Zero tells everyone the instructions in the Japanese version, he says "Find a door with a 'kyuu'"

On the 999 website there's an interview with Uchikoshi that explains a lot of random bonus stuff about the game. You should check it out.

Blah!

Spoiler:
Heh, I had this list around on my sticky note widget for future use. Here is everyone's bracelet numbers and some explanations.

0 = 6 (or letter 'o' = 15 or 24)
1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 0 (E for empty, as stated in the Q&A. Santa is Zero)
4 = 4
5 = 5
6 = 9 (upside down)
7 = 7
8 = 8
9 = ? (probably 9 due to 9th man actions)

IIRC, the captain's bracelet was 0 to trick Ace into assuming it was 0, but it was really an o. Also providing some misdirection for who was Zero.

And yeah, that q thing was definitely something lost in translation, but they made an attempt to fix that... and failed. In the opening exposition, some of the explanation was written down on a piece of paper, including that you need to find a door with a 9. But if that 9 was actually a q (as it likely was intended to be), the person reading the paper assumed it was a 9 anyway since the paper talked a lot about numbers. I assume the Japanese version had Zero speaking the contents of the paper instead, given the "kyuu" thing Bad Player mentioned.

However, the localizers forgot to change something very important: there was a flashback during the true ending where Junpei realizes the 9 is a q... but it flashes back to Zero directly saying to find a door with a q. Clearly this was supposed to be changed to a flashback to the note and realizing the 9 is actually a q, but unfortunately the localization team forgot to fix that. Oops.

I can't wrap my head around how tightly written the game was, especially with all of the digital roots. Plus, I actually learned a lot

And to respond to Pierre and BadPlayer...
Spoiler:
I edited my original post with more questions but I think you guys were typing your responses before then. Anyway, here they are

-Who unlocked the doors in the submarine ending? If it was Ace, how was this done without the Jupiter key?
-What did Junpei mean at the end when he said the bracelets weren't detonators? So, he's basically saying that they were never in any danger but the 9th man, Guy X, and presumably Ace were?

1. Makes sense. It seems weird he'd know the 9th man so quickly, but I suppose it's reasonable to assume if they were business partners for a while
2. I started reading the interview BP talked about and he basically said what you guys said for this, but another cool detail is that she was "burning up" because she was burning in the incinerator
3. Makes sense. Thanks
4. I guess the bracelets were mixed up with the purpose of giving the "hint" that Santa was "Zero"? It seems like an unnecessary twist because the numbers were confusing me enough already. And I think we can assume the 9th man was actually 9, blahmoomoo. It probably was "rule of cool" and I'm not gonna check the math on all of the doors that people went through because I am pretty sure Santa and June never went through a door without each other. It's weird to think that the whole thing would've been exposed if Lotus and Clover ran to Door 3 before Santa

That is a fun fact about the kyuu thing, because I thought it was weird how the game flashbacked to the voice recording and changed the text from Zero from a "9" to a "q"

Blah!

Edit your post to add an = after the r in your first spoiler tag to fix it please. you fixed it right before I posted this, heh.

Spoiler:
I have forgotten how keys worked in the game, so I don't have an answer to the submarine door thing. Didn't you get something behind the number 2 door?

The bracelets worn by everybody except those who blew up weren't detonators. I imagine those just had an NFC coil in it (to communicate with the REDs and DEADs) with simple electronics for the display and buttons. No need to have detonators in people who won't get punished.

1. IIRC, Ace was given a note that told him who the 9th man was. So Ace purposely tricked the 9th man to kill himself, which also served the purpose to verify that the game was real.
4. I put a ? next to the 9 since Akane already had a 9 bracelet. But I suppose it is safe to assume it is a 9 anyway.

Oh, and that localization thing is something I surmised given what appeared in the game. I haven't actually looked for proof beyond that (I'm only assuming what happened in the original game), but I am guessing I'm close to reality if not correct.

1000% Knight

Spoiler:
No idea about the doors/Jupiter key. It's been too long since I played it... and I don't think I ever actually memorized which key was hidden where and opened what xD

You can't really have a detonator with nothing to detonate, right...? But yeah, the only people (presumably) in danger were 9th man and Guy X; I don't think even Ace had a bomb.

And about point number 4...

Spoiler:
Haha. I didn't think they'd do an actual comic on the thing

As for the keys, it's more clear in the ending around 4:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APhl7BuomA8

(I was wrong by the way. It's the Sun Key, not Jupiter Key)

Basically, Junpei, Lotus, and Seven got the Sun Key in the laboratory, so Ace shouldn't have had it, so the door shouldn't have been unlocked. Maybe June made a copy and unlocked the door when she was trying to get away from Ace?

Gettin' Old!

JesusMonroe wrote:
Spoiler:

Basically, Junpei, Lotus, and Seven got the Sun Key in the laboratory, so Ace shouldn't have had it, so the door shouldn't have been unlocked. Maybe June made a copy and unlocked the door when she was trying to get away from Ace?

Spoiler: 999
I assumed June had died of regular old de-existence pains rather than Ace stabbing her. Though perhaps you are right, perhaps something went down between Ace and the others (my money's on Clover that crazy b*&"!) and she fled to protect herself as in all actuality June and Santa probably never intended for the Submarine room to be used.

Think it's confirmed in that Q&A that the water pool doesn't actually go anywhere and is just a pool rather than a way out.

As for the code thing?

Infinite Alternate Timeline Possibilities. It just so happens the ones we see are the ones where folks don't screw it up so much.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

Blah!

Pierre wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:
Spoiler:

I assumed June had died of regular old de-existence pains rather than Ace stabbing her. Though perhaps you are right, perhaps something went down between Ace and the others (my money's on Clover that crazy b*&"!) and she fled to protect herself as in all actuality June and Santa probably never intended for the Submarine room to be used.

Think it's confirmed in that Q&A that the water pool doesn't actually go anywhere and is just a pool rather than a way out.

As for the code thing?

Infinite Alternate Timeline Possibilities. It just so happens the ones we see are the ones where folks don't screw it up so much.

Spoiler:
Nah, I'm pretty sure June died of stabbing. She kind of died in Junpei's arms without disappearing, after all. And there was a lot of blood on the floor...

I'm not sure what you are talking about in regards to Clover. Everyone died in that ending, except Ace of course, and Snake who was stuck in a coffin to never be let out. The fact that Lotus' bracelet was missing pretty much proves that it was all Ace's fault since he needed it to get through the number 9 door. Of course, joke's on him: he can't escape through the q door, and he'd probably get incinerated as a result.

Gettin' Old!

blahmoomoo wrote:
Pierre wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:
Spoiler:

As for the code thing?

Spoiler:
Nah, I'm pretty sure June died of stabbing. She kind of died in Junpei's arms without disappearing, after all. And there was a lot of blood on the floor...

I'm not sure what you are talking about in regards to Clover. Everyone died in that ending, except Ace of course, and Snake who was stuck in a coffin to never be let out. The fact that Lotus' bracelet was missing pretty much proves that it was all Ace's fault since he needed it to get through the number 9 door. Of course, joke's on him: he can't escape through the q door, and he'd probably get incinerated as a result.

Well maybe she died of stabbing but my memory is hazy and I don't remember that much blood. I remember her 'dying' in his arms but then he walked away and I'm pretty sure he looked back and she was gone. Nothing to say her death wasn't cause be de-xisting. However if there's blood then sure I guess it's a stab wound.

As for what I'm saying about Clover I mean we don't know what started that altercation that led to everyone dying. It's unlike Ace to so blatantly reveal his hand, after all why try and kill everyone when the one person whose bracelet he needed wasn't even there? Surely it'd be best to try and lure Lotus away (like indeed he does in the Axe ending) and get her bracelet?

I think it's more likely Clover snapped as she's dependent on Snake and suspects people, the others failed to calm her down and things got violent. Once folks were dead Ace realised how bad it looked (not that it was necessarily his fault in this case, like I said he wouldn't gain much by starting the fight) and so he played dead to join them thinking he'd have an opportunity later.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

I know it's small and trivial but I wish they would have actually shown the image of
how the 9th man looked after the explosion. It would have been so cool.

Edit: ugh I want this by it's $389 :ron:

Blah!

SHSL Ultimate Hope wrote:
I know it's small and trivial but I wish they would have actually shown the image of

There's a VLR watch too. I have one. :P

blahmoomoo wrote:

Got it when the game first came out for pre-order? :P

Fyi ill buy it from you if you selling :hotti:

Blah!

blahmoomoo wrote:

Yep!

And nope, not selling. It's going to stay in my collection... as small as that may be right now.

blahmoomoo wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:

Yep!

And nope, not selling. It's going to stay in my collection... as small as that may be right now.

you suck :P

Take a picture of it.

Blah!

Take a picture of it.

Here are some pictures I took a while back.

Yes, there are two copies of VLR in one of those photos. That's because Amazon made it confusing for which one would have the pre-order bonus, since at one point they ran out of stock, but they got more in. I returned the copy without the watch.

blahmoomoo wrote:

Take a picture of it.

Here are some pictures I took a while back.

Yes, there are two copies of VLR in one of those photos. That's because Amazon made it confusing for which one would have the pre-order bonus, since at one point they ran out of stock, but they got more in. I returned the copy without the watch.

Lucky you! I hate that everywhere i look the watches are like $100+ :ron: :maggey:

I finished beating 999 Last night and did both endings (including the true ending)

Spoiler: 999 ending
The ending for 999 actually made more sense to me than the ending for VLR. I actually understood fully what was going on with the game. My one question was what happened to Akane at the end of the true ending where she disappeared from the time line. Was it because that version disappeared due to Junpei saving her 9 years earlier through his powers?

Blah!

I finished beating 999 Last night and did both endings (including the true ending)

The ending for 999 actually made more sense to me than the ending for VLR. I actually understood fully what was going on with the game. My one question was what happened to Akane at the end of the true ending where she disappeared from the time line. Was it because that version disappeared due to Junpei saving her 9 years earlier through his powers?

She didn't actually disappear; she managed slipped out after Junpei rescued her in the future. She and Santa drove off in a jeep at the end ahead of everyone else (can't remember if that was only implied or if it was explicitly stated in the Q&A). The Q&A definitely said that Junpei kept chasing after her, but never found her again.

Spoiler: VLR+999
Until VLR, of course, but you know. I don't think the reason why Akane left Junpei was ever explained, but I imagine it might have had something to do with her breaking the law in many ways and not wanting to get Junpei caught up in it. Or maybe she somehow saw even farther in the future and had some premonition of the radical six (duuude) event and had to abandon Junpei for reasons that (if they exist) would likely be revealed in ZE3, whenever that comes out.

blahmoomoo wrote:

She didn't actually disappear; she managed slipped out after Junpei rescued her in the future. She and Santa drove off in a jeep at the end ahead of everyone else (can't remember if that was only implied or if it was explicitly stated in the Q&A). The Q&A definitely said that Junpei kept chasing after her, but never found her again.

I know in VLR it is stated by clover that Santa and June did drive off in the jeep after leaving Ace tied up in the other jeep. The thing is that during 999 I didn't see how June was able to sneak away into the Q door if it didnt open except for with Santa which he only went with Ace and then when Junpei opened it to escape with everyone

Blah!

blahmoomoo wrote:

I know in VLR it is stated by clover that Santa and June did drive off in the jeep after leaving Ace tied up in the other jeep. The thing is that during 999 I didn't see how June was able to sneak away into the Q door if it didnt open except for with Santa which he only went with Ace and then when Junpei opened it to escape with everyone

Yeah... it's kinda weird, but I suppose the only real explanation is that Junpei wasn't being very observant after all the stuff that had just happened to him.

EDIT: Wrong thread for that T-shirt, but cool.

blahmoomoo wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:

Yeah... it's kinda weird, but I suppose the only real explanation is that Junpei wasn't being very observant after all the stuff that had just happened to him.

EDIT: Wrong thread for that T-shirt, but cool.

Just noticed. my bad haha

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/749385262359195648

Remake for 3DS/Vita/Steam with voice acting confirmed. Uchi confirmed it would have puzzles (won't be iOS port)

Gettin' Old!

JesusMonroe wrote:

Remake for 3DS/Vita/Steam with voice acting confirmed. Uchi confirmed it would have puzzles (won't be iOS port)

Neat. Won't be picking it up though. Hopefully will give.more a chance to play it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Blah!

JesusMonroe wrote:

Aww yeah, this will make the series a lot easier to recommend.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Question is whether they'll change the sprites to 3D models or just make them higher res.

Also, I think it's kind of a shame since the dual screen aspect of the original was really cleverly handled. Putting it on the Vita just seems wrong somehow (I'm all for the Vita getting more love, but still...)

Blah!

TheDoctor wrote:
Question is whether they'll change the sprites to 3D models or just make them higher res.

Also, I think it's kind of a shame since the dual screen aspect of the original was really cleverly handled. Putting it on the Vita just seems wrong somehow (I'm all for the Vita getting more love, but still...)

They're using upscaled art. Higher quality and extended video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUeWk7XtdFw (note: be wary about related videos for ZTD)

I see there's an "ADV screen" thing in the upper right... maybe there will be a way to switch between dialog and novel modes or something to achieve that effect.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Those are some really nice quality sprites, actually. If it wasn't for me having finished the first game, and just not really feeling the need to go back to it outside of the new voice acting, I'd almost consider getting it. Oh well.

OBJECTION!

That looks really cool, if only I had a good enough PC to play the game....
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

Blah!

grim_tales wrote:
That looks really cool, if only I had a good enough PC to play the game....

Considering the game is mostly in 2D, just like the original DS version, I'd be surprised if the PC version had high requirements.

I say mostly because items were in 3D, but nothing else, IIRC.

1000% Knight

I won't accept this port of 999 unless it forces you to turn your monitor/laptop upside-down.
Page 13 of 15 [ 569 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station