Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 1 of 1[ 39 posts ]

Languages you like the mostTopic%20Title

I didn't find a topic here about languages (except maybe for the Japanese thread, but that topic is limited to... Japanese) so... Let's go.

Which languages you like/find beautiful/would like to learn?
Here is my top five:

Spoiler:
1. Deustch - German for teh n00bz. I've met several people who prefer French to German, but I don't. Something about German words feels... elegant. More than any language, in my opinion.

2. Russian - A damn interesting language, although probably I'll never be able to speak it.

3. French - Yeah, the most... "Romantic" of the languages.

4. Portuguese - Meu amado Português. Seriously, I've never liked much Portuguese, although I'm brazilian... But after some time, I realized that if I weren't brazilian, I would probably find Portuguese cool.

5. Spanish - It is beautiful and probably the only language I can speak decently (besides Portuguese, of course)

Hey, where is the space for Dutch? Oh, it's a top five.
Re: Languages you like the mostTopic%20Title

Expert bluffer

Most likely Korean. True, it's full of words that I currently can't even come close to pronouncing, but I like how it sounds a lot. Since right now I can speak English and Spanish, I'm interested in languages that differ from these two. Others I would like to learn would be German and Russian, since both are powerful languages, although both are also filled with words that would be difficult for me to pronounce.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

German I find is a good language to speak if you want to sound angry, forceful or speak with a loud voice. The rhythm of German and the pronounciation makes any word sound very strong. Look at "forbidden" and then look at "verboten" which sounds like something is really forbidden to do. Like it would have severe consequences, if you still do it.

For me, it's Japanese.
I love the rhythm of the language, that several words can have the same meaning or one word could mean various things. I also love the way a sentence is structured, split into various parts and how, what may sound incredibly silly if you translate it into another language, sounds perfectly okay in Japanese. I love translating Japanese sentences literally and seeing where each word originally 'came' from and the various ways I could translate it into general English.

French is also nice. Best language to speak when you have a head cold.
It sound elegant, but not very elegant to me.

C-A

Apollon Flame

English. It is so concise, yet elegant, but straight to the point. Other than that, it's the idiom of business (and I'm studying a business related profession).
A King

in name

alone...

Idol of Polar Bears

Some German words sound hilarious when you translate their literal meaning.

"Dumkopf!"

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

"Dumkopf!"

So? There is the English term and insult of Stupid Head.
Can't really see the hilarity of it, considering it's a word in the other language.

C-A

PS: It's Dummkopf, with two Ms.

Last edited by CatMuto on Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apollon Flame

CatMuto wrote:
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

"Dumkopf!"

Can't really see the hilarity of it, considering it's a word in the other language.

C-A

His sense of humor. I find comedians that stupidly say "Yup!" funny, but maybe not you nor anybody else.
A King

in name

alone...

Idol of Polar Bears

CatMuto wrote:
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

"Dumkopf!"

C-A

You don't normally hear someone call another person a literal "Stupid Head" in the English language, at least not where I live in America.

Japanese. Too bad I have zero time to learn it.

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
You don't normally hear someone call another person a literal "Stupid Head" in the English language, at least not where I live in America.

It was a movie, but I remember that... the older sister in Lilo & Stitch kicked someone's car and said, "Watch where you're going, Stupid Head!" And that story took place in Hawaii, so...

C-A

Idol of Polar Bears

CatMuto wrote:
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

It was a movie, but I remember that... the older sister in Lilo & Stitch kicked someone's car and said, "Watch where you're going, Stupid Head!" And that story took place in Hawaii, so...

C-A

I live in California and you would never hear someone use that word unless it was an infant. Most of the terms we sling around are kind of lazy and plain, like "idiot", "stupid", and "dumbass".

The dwarf geeky panda!

1. Mandarin: A bit "connecting to the roots" kind of thing.

2. Spanish: I learned it, but only the basics, which are being erased from my brain.

3. Japanese: GAMEEESSSSS!!!!! But Mandarin have priority in my mind.

4.French: It is my language after all and I like it.

5. English: Useful

So sad I'm lazy, but maybe if I can find a class...
Please don't hit me...

I heard that Japanese is harder than Korean, but I don't know if that's true... I don't have much interest to learn Japanese, Korean or Mandarin.

.: Hyperactive ecstasy dreamer :.

One of the most beautiful languages I ever heard- English (yes, I'm too lame)

But currently I'm learning French and Tagalog. Tagalog is a given since I HAVE to learn it once I get back to the Philippines.

JSR_GUMMY wrote:
One of the most beautiful languages I ever heard- English (yes, I'm too lame)

English is nice, though I don't find it a particularly beautiful language...

English is fascinating because it's such a mess. It's a mixture of so many different languages, and frequently defies its own rules in new and inventive ways - it's a wonder any of us knows what the other is saying! I love it.

I like German for family reasons; I only have vague memories of her, but it was my great-grandmother's language.

I have a soft spot for dying languages (Inuktitut is beautiful), and dead languages are the easiest to learn (no one really expects you to know conversational Latin).

dangerousoffender wrote:
I heard that Japanese is harder than Korean, but I don't know if that's true... I don't have much interest to learn Japanese, Korean or Mandarin.

I don't have anything beyond cursory knowledge of either language, but written Korean follows a much simpler alphabet than written Japanese. It's probably easier for that reason alone.

In Justice We Trust

Russian, of course. For a long time, it was just an extension of my general interest in all things Russian, but as I started to learn the language, I found it absolutely fascinating. Noun and adjective declension in particular caught my attention.

Some of the Altaic languages interest me--particularly Mongolian, Tatar, and Kazakh. All three use variants of the Cyrillic alphabet, so that would likely make any effort on my part to learn them a bit easier (though I'm not so naïve as to think that, say, a Mongolian "л" is always the same as a Russian one).

Farsi. I probably have my fifth grade (and sixth grade) teacher to thank for this one; she was one of my favorite teachers and happened to be from Iran.

Amharic. Recently, I've developed a bit of a fascination with Ethiopia.

One of the Niger-Congo languages (probably a common one, such as Yoruba, Igbo, or Swahili).
I'll always love you, Max.

dangerousoffender wrote:

Mh, well I have been teaching myself Japanese for a good 12 years now and this may be because I don't know Korean at all. But I find Japanese easier. I know I may sound like a jerk when I say this, but when I look at Korean, it looks literally like a bunch of short lines and circle symbols. I have no idea what it means.
If I were to learn Korean, I'd probably know what it means but as for now... it looks very difficult to learn. Worse than Japanese, because with Japanese you at least have various symbols. In Korean, everything looks the same.

C-A

迷探偵

Well, one could say that Japanese is more difficult because it uses three different scripts, whereas most languages use only one. The Korean script is definitely easier than Japanese in theory, with fewer components. Pronuncation is a totally different story though; Korean has way more sounds in its language, and the way spelling changes because of syllabel-final consonants and vowels is just maddening...

But because of Japanese's multiple scripts, it's actually easier for students of the language to 'read', because it's easier to see where to 'cut' words. If you're just starting with Korean, it's much harder to see where one word starts and another ends, even though the space is used (unlike Japanese). (both languages are agglutinative, so words have the tendency to get longer and longer, but with Japanese you can make a educated guess where the word stops because Chinese characters are used as the start of the word for like 75% of the time (<- made-up number, but it's a high percentage).

And I've studied (and forgotten) way too much languages by now... I've done English, Japanese, German, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Korean and (Manderin) Chinese and I'm not even counting both mother tongues (bilingual)...
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

My favourite language will always be Japanese. I've been learning a couple of years now. That being said, I think all languages are beautiful in their own way. I do love the sound of Swedish words, though.

Guys, what the hell... Today I read in a magazine that Arabic is so difficult to learn that the right side of the brain "ignores" its scripts. o_o

Athena's biggest fan

French. It's so purdy, and I want to visit France. :sparkly-maggey:
I actually did start, then gave up. :/
The Nonchalant Rage officially premiers next month on YouTube. Subscribe now:

Fate Testarossa

Languages that I like most? I love listening to Italian. It's really pretty to listen to, and everything flows so nicely.

Japanese is also quite nice to listen to. German would be a language I'd like to learn.

Fate is made by クロス

[Whip the cream!]

French, Portugese and Brazilian Portugese, Spanish with a lisp, Russian, German, Polish, Dutch and a lot of African languages. I'm too tired to list them all because I don't know all the names of the languages by heart.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

I would love to learn Italian,I don't know,I just find interesting to learn.I also love both English and Spanish (my native language) just because of all the ridiculous sentences you get if you translate something literally from English-Spanish or the other way around. I also love how Latin words sound.They just make a simple phrase sound so epic...
Signature loading, please wait...

I'm too insecure to try to learn Japanese, Russian or even German. If I were to talk to a native in one of these languages, I'd feel totally dumb or a laughingstock, though it would be very useful for me as a Pharm student to learn German, since it is the second most used language in written scientific research.

Spanish is a whole another story, it is so similar to Portuguese that I didn't make a significant effort to learn it.

The Real Human Being

Body language

[Whip the cream!]

DoMaya wrote:
Body language

:gant-clap:
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Your Friendly Neighborhood Eccentric.

DoMaya wrote:
Body language

Sonuva-- *loling 7ever.*

Languages though...?

- Japanese for sure (been trying for learn it for years, with mixed results.)

- Spanish; losing what I've learned though...

- French. It sounds a lot more different spoken than sung though, which 'kinda' confuses me to no end sometimes.

- German

- Italian

- Irish

- Dutch

Ace Cactus Guy

Latin is my all-time fav, because it's the language of the LAW!

I don't understand why people think that German sounds forcefull or angry. Its not like everybody in Germany runs around screaming like Hitler(althrough that would be pretty funny :phoenix: ).
When I speak German, I only sound forcefull and angry if I actually am angry... Myth Busted?

Even so, I think its pretty cool that people want to learn German. It's always nice to know that people learn my native language.:phoenix:

saboten wrote:
Latin is my all-time fav, because it's the language of the LAW!

I don't understand why people think that German sounds forcefull or angry. Its not like everybody in Germany runs around screaming like Hitler(althrough that would be pretty funny :phoenix: ).
When I speak German, I only sound forcefull and angry if I actually am angry... Myth Busted?

Even so, I think its pretty cool that people want to learn German. It's always nice to know that people learn my native language.:phoenix:

Whenever I speak in another language I want to imitate their accent,so if I ever get to learn German I would be accused of being a parodu of Hitler. And yeah Latin is just amazing.
Signature loading, please wait...

cesar26100 wrote:
Whenever I speak in another language I want to imitate their accent,so if I ever get to learn German I would be accused of being a parodu of Hitler. And yeah Latin is just amazing.

Well considering Hitler was originally Austrian, he did not have a perfect German accent himself, so...

C-A

In Justice We Trust

Define "perfect accent," Cat. There's often a "standard dialect" for a language as spoken in a given country, but make the country big enough, and regional accents are bound to exist.

Ace Cactus Guy

General Luigi wrote:
Define "perfect accent," Cat. There's often a "standard dialect" for a language as spoken in a given country, but make the country big enough, and regional accents are bound to exist.

Well, actually Austria isn't part of Germany ^^

You have a point through, with the German-Speaking territorium(Germany,Austria,Switzerland and smaller areas) being quite big, there are a lot of regional-accents and dialects. :phoenix:

General Luigi wrote:
Well considering Hitler was originally Austrian, he did not have a perfect German accent himself, so...

C-A

In my opinion I'd say that his accents is quite German, due to him actually spending the majority of his life in Germany. And It's not like he had any choice than talking "Amtsdeutsch"(Standard German), because Politicians aren't allowed to talk in their regional slang. :phoenix:

In Justice We Trust

I might be an American, but I still know Austria and Germany are not the same country. Not all of us are bad at geography. German is the official language in both countries, though, and according to a dialect map I've found, the dialects spoken in Austria are remarkably similar to (and in some cases, indistinguishable from) some of the dialects in Bavaria.

Ace Cactus Guy

General Luigi wrote:
I might be an American, but I still know Austria and Germany are not the same country. Not all of us are bad at geography. German is the official language in both countries, though, and according to a dialect map I've found, the dialects spoken in Austria are remarkably similar to (and in some cases, indistinguishable from) some of the dialects in Bavaria.

I never implied that every American person ever born is bad at Geography but

General Luigi wrote:
... make the country big enough ...

let me think you implied that Austria is a special administrative region or something. :phoenix:

Also, not all Austrian dialects are Bravarian, althrough I can't recall which one isn't, I am not that good at dialects. :phoenix:

In Justice We Trust

saboten wrote:
I never implied that every American person ever born is bad at Geography

I never meant to imply you thought that. I just enjoy making fun of how a lot of my fellow Americans are horrible at geography.

saboten wrote:
Also, not all Austrian dialects are Bravarian, althrough I can't recall which one isn't, I am not that good at dialects. :phoenix:

For reference, here's the map I was referring to:

Spoiler: image

You know, a Mario game!

CatMuto wrote:
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

"Dumkopf!"

C-A

PS: It's Dummkopf, with two Ms.

Over here, at least where I live, Stupid Head sounds like a very childish insult, so to hear a full grown adult call someone that is hilarious!
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

English and German.

Only two languages I'll cherish the most. English, because it's so simple to learn (at least for me haha) and German, because it's my mothertongue. My American friends don't really like german, but that's just their optinion though.

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw
Page 1 of 1 [ 39 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices