Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 32 of 39[ 1554 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next

Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

I live in Germany and worked in a cinema for a while. And popcorn was really POPular (Ahahahaha! I made a funny!) here for moviegoers. I think the small costs 2.50€ at the cinema I was at, but most got the middle... I think 3€? I forget. Barely anyone got the huge tubs of popcorn. Though nachos with cheese sauce were pretty popular, too. Not as much as popcorn, though. (And I had to clean that shit up.... can't you people eat it without dropping a third of it on the floor?)

C-A

Gettin' Old!

It is a cosmic law that at least 1/3 of all popcorn purchased in the cinema be spilled.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Nerd Processor

CatMuto wrote:
I live in Germany and worked in a cinema for a while. And popcorn was really POPular (Ahahahaha! I made a funny!) here for moviegoers. I think the small costs 2.50€ at the cinema I was at, but most got the middle... I think 3€? I forget. Barely anyone got the huge tubs of popcorn. Though nachos with cheese sauce were pretty popular, too. Not as much as popcorn, though. (And I had to clean that shit up.... can't you people eat it without dropping a third of it on the floor?)

C-A

Nachos with cheese sauce sound a really messy thing to eat in a Cinema. :udgey: 3 euros? That'd be £2.28. If I could get popcorn at a cinema for that I guess I might be tempted, but guess I just prefer to just watch the film anyway. (And that's if I happen to need to kill some time, otherwise I tend to just buy DVDs of films because it's cheaper! :meekins: )
My Ace Attorney FanFiction Thread (Last updated: 5th August 2018)

You know what grinds my gears? People who try to compensate inner mediocrity with outer flamboyance. Because they can't say, think, feel or do anything that is particularly interesting, they need to resort to their looks. They want to get attention through their appearance, because they wouldn't stand out any other way.

I don't know how else to put it, but: if you are constantly trying to be impressive to others through your appearance, you are dull, IMO. Or being more specific, if you need your appearance to express yourself, you are dull. I've always disliked that.

Danksgiving

or they could just want to look cool but y'know

Mister Gruel wrote:
or they could just want to look cool but y'know

Yeah, but what counts as 'looking cool' is subjective, just like beauty.

C-A

This is topical because I just ran into some douche I used to go to school with. This guy always strived for attention through his appearance, or being "cool". Changing his hairstyle, putting it in pigtails, just being loud in his attire.. I saw this guy just the other night and he is now sporting this huge beard. And it was his conversation piece. After these years, he is still trying to be interesting through his appearance. As I said before, he has to resort to physical spectacle. You can't sit with this guy and have a good conversation. He is all about outer eccentricity, but he has no depth.

And frankly, I know that not everybody who does this is a moron, or mediocre. They come across as insecure, though, or at least it becomes clear that they are trying too hard.

Danksgiving

you know what really grinds my gears

when ur with ur honey and yur making out wen the phone rigns. U anser it n the vioce is "wut r u doing wit my daughter?" U tell ur girl n she say "my dad is ded". THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

I've felt worse.

Mister Gruel wrote:
you know what really grinds my gears

when ur with ur honey and yur making out wen the phone rigns. U anser it n the vioce is "wut r u doing wit my daughter?" U tell ur girl n she say "my dad is ded". THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

...Does it grind your gears when this happens to you, or does it grind your gears when people copy and paste the above parody of supposedly scary posts that's been copy and pasted so much, it's in the great folder in the sky where dead memes go to?
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Danksgiving

um.... both

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

On that note, it really grinds my gears when people can't even remotely be bothered to write legibly.

I'm okay with common abbreviations, and I'm not an absolute Grammar Nazi (seriously, I couldn't care less if someone ends a sentence with prepositions), but is it too much to ask for people to spend 10 seconds and format their writings so they don't become painful to look at, much less read?

Like for example, in the above meme, "ur" when used as a replacement for "you're." I associate the word "ur" with the ancient civilization, "Ur," which sounds almost nothing like "you're," so that one bugs me. I can live with "u" as a replacement for "you," but "ur" just looks unintelligent.

There was one time I actually hid all of a friend's posts on my Facebook news feed because they kept using "gana" as a replacement for "going to." Look, if you're going to shorten it, at least use the generally accepted "gonna" instead. I use "gonna" rather frequently, but "gana" is just painful to look at and makes you look ignorant.

Same, TheDoctor. It bugs me to no extent when people are being stupid and look like they don't know the difference between you're and your OR there, their and they're. Contrary to you, I am a Grammar Nazi. OmG or when they confuse lose and loose! And I see that in fanfiction. Okay, it's fanfiction, but that doesn't mean you can't put SOME quality and time into your writing! I re-read an old story of mine yesterday and realized I made the mistake of writing "of" instead of "off" and it bugged me.

C-A

You know what really grinds my gears? When someone comes into MY country and demands that it follow THEIR culture and rules.

No. No, no, no, no, no. No. No. That's not how this works. You are in MY country, MY culture and MY laws and rules. YOU have to compromise and learn to live with MY culture, because YOU are the guest. I'm not gonna change MY world to accomodate YOU. Now, If I were to go into your country, I would follow your rules.

Like when a Syrian politican came over to Germany and they covered the female statues' heads, because they didn't want to offend him. DIPSHIT, OUR CULTURE IS OKAY WITH HAVING WOMEN WALK AROUND WITHOUT HIDING THEMSELVES! If that's how it's done in YOUR country, fine. But you are not IN your country.

And if you feel you honestly cannot go somewhere without being horribly offended because their culture is different from yours, don't fucking travel. Stay at home.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? When someone comes into MY country and demands that it follow THEIR culture and rules.

No. No, no, no, no, no. No. No. That's not how this works. You are in MY country, MY culture and MY laws and rules. YOU have to compromise and learn to live with MY culture, because YOU are the guest. I'm not gonna change MY world to accomodate YOU. Now, If I were to go into your country, I would follow your rules.

Like when a Syrian politican came over to Germany and they covered the female statues' heads, because they didn't want to offend him. DIPSHIT, OUR CULTURE IS OKAY WITH HAVING WOMEN WALK AROUND WITHOUT HIDING THEMSELVES! If that's how it's done in YOUR country, fine. But you are not IN your country.

And if you feel you honestly cannot go somewhere without being horribly offended because their culture is different from yours, don't fucking travel. Stay at home.

C-A

I remember something like that happened in Italy, about two weeks ago. Hassan Rouhani, president of Iran, was on a business trip in the country and they completely covered a lot of nude statues, while he was visiting Capitoline Museums. And by "completely", I mean like this:

Spoiler:

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Gettin' Old!

Heh those statues look like they are showering.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Slammer wrote:
I remember something like that happened in Italy, about two weeks ago. Hassan Rouhani, president of Iran, was on a business trip in the country and they completely covered a lot of nude statues, while he was visiting Capitoline Museums. And by "completely", I mean like this:

Spoiler:

Argh! Boxes! Phallic symbols of vaginas! Pearl clutching!

C-A

Woman complains that a Starbucks in Saudi Arabia refused to serve her, because she's a woman. This goes right back to my statement on demanding other cultures to conform to your standards. Lady, you were in SAUDI ARABIA. It is a vastly different culture, OF COURSE they won't treat you like you are accustomed to in America or whever you are from. GET OVER IT!!

C-A

You know what grinds my gears? Simpletons who try to be funny, controversial and intelligent in front of cameras, giving opinions about random shit. Most youtubers, actually. Seriously, I have no respect for people like this. That ridiculous attention-seeking behavior. Blergh. People who spout a lot of ordinary views common sense, and think they are being avant-garde intellectuals. And what's worse, they have a lot of followers who are even less intelligent than they are, so they get a lot of undeserved admiration. Ridiculous, really.

dangerousoffender wrote:
You know what grinds my gears? Simpletons who try to be funny, controversial and intelligent in front of cameras, giving opinions about random shit. Most youtubers, actually. Seriously, I have no respect for people like this. That ridiculous attention-seeking behavior. Blergh. People who spout a lot of ordinary views common sense, and think they are being avant-garde intellectuals. And what's worse, they have a lot of followers who are even less intelligent than they are, so they get a lot of undeserved admiration. Ridiculous, really.

And then there are people like I, who have amazing, actual avant-garde opinions and hardly have any followers. :will:

C-A

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

You know what grinds my gears? People who quickly judge without knowing the full story.

The more I think about it, the more pissed I get.

Spoiler: rant
To the commenters and haters on Facebook.

Y'all sure like running your mouths on that diatribe of nonsense, do you?

Allow me to be haughty just this once.

You all know nothing.

I repeat, NOTHING.

And one more thing.

Good Sir, I dont give a single f--- about what youre going through, but dont you dare fish for pity from social media without understanding why things happened the way they did.

Attention seeker.

Your Honor! There is a contradiction!

College. College has been eating me, chewing me up, and spitting me out like it just had at a meal at Tres Bien. Of course, that's to be expected, I knew it was hard but I didn't expect to get kicked in the teeth so suddenly. It's just been a real struggle lately with everything going on, but heck man school has been brutal.

You know, a Mario game!

YKWRGMG? Automated copyright claims. Copyright claims are one thing when they're done by a person, but why on god's green earth did Google think it would be a good idea to trust a machine with this kind of ability?! This just proves that they don't care about fair use, since if they did, they wouldn't give the ability to claim videos to a machine that has no way of distinguishing between fair use and non fair use! It's even claimed videos uploaded by the actual companies they belong to! For example, Disney owned YouTube channels have been claimed for posting Disney footage. This system is clearly broken and needs to be fixed, but that would require the higher ups at Google to take their heads out of their asses, now wouldn't it!
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Winter Flag Trademark

dimentiorules wrote:
YKWRGMG? Automated copyright claims. Copyright claims are one thing when they're done by a person, but why on god's green earth did Google think it would be a good idea to trust a machine with this kind of ability?! This just proves that they don't care about fair use, since if they did, they wouldn't give the ability to claim videos to a machine that has no way of distinguishing between fair use and non fair use! It's even claimed videos uploaded by the actual companies they belong to! For example, Disney owned YouTube channels have been claimed for posting Disney footage. This system is clearly broken and needs to be fixed, but that would require the higher ups at Google to take their heads out of their asses, now wouldn't it!

#WTFU, YT. (Where's The Fair Use, YouTube.)

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

You know what really grinds my gears? People who just SPIT on the ground in public.

It's disgusting and yes, I am prejudice and will assume that, if you have no problem spitting on the ground in public, you do it at home and, hence, your home must look absolutely disgusting to live in. Okay, I have spit on the ground myself... but only on the rare occasion, when I threw up in public. And there I still try my best to not have it be in the middle of the street or sidewalk, I try to opt for garbage cans (with bags in them, of course) or some other out of the way. And generally try to keep the aftermath spitting of sour saliva on handkerchiefs.

C-A

I've felt worse.

*thread title* People who use more than one parking space for their car. Fuck you too.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

sumguy28 wrote:
*thread title* People who use more than one parking space for their car. Fuck you too.

Especially those jerks who use the handicapped spots. Makes me wish I had a diamond ring or diamond-studded bag and just, oops, excuse me, YOU'RE IN THE WAY, Oh, my, is your car scratched? Oopsie. I really hate it when barely-pregnant women use them. Honey, being pregnant is not a handicap. And being stupid is not one, either. :ron: I mean, I can understand if a woman in, say, the 8th or so month uses it, because it's practically next to the entrance and walking can be very tiring at that point. (Though I would be wondering if one should be driving at that point in pregnancy...)

C-A

In Justice We Trust

Spoiler: Relevant (and wide) image

I'm thinking I'll start bringing along a little notepad so I can leave messages for such drivers under their wipers. If possible, I'll make the messages resemble the tickets police put on illegally-parked cars.

...Cat, I think you're starting to rub off on me.
I'll always love you, Max.

I've felt worse.

General Luigi wrote:

I'm thinking I'll start bringing along a little notepad so I can leave messages for such drivers under their wipers. If possible, I'll make the messages resemble the tickets police put on illegally-parked cars.

One one hand, that's hilarious. On the other hand, someone will have to clean that up.

Danksgiving

god forbid someone drew in chalk on the ground i mean its not like it washes away in the rain

General Luigi wrote:

Muhahahaha, I have tainted a person! Soon, my goal of world domination through brainwashing will be complete!

Also, pretty sure lots of people do that. Though not sure what to think of the whole making them look like real tickets thing. Could land you in trouble.

Quote:
One one hand, that's hilarious. On the other hand, someone will have to clean that up.

It's chalk, not permanent marker or whatever streetworkers use to put lanes and signs onto the street. It'll disappear with some water.

C-A

You know, a Mario game!

sumguy28 wrote:
General Luigi wrote:

I just cut my finger. On the other hand, I'm fine otherwise. :moe-laugh:
My Twitter Account

professional megalomaniac

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location

hey i have more things to complain about

read if you want, spoilered for length

my topic is "romance stories" and why they bother me

Spoiler:
So to begin: Romance grinds my gears. But to be more specific, I'm talking romance in fiction, and even more specifically BAAAD fiction romance.

There's this one VN that recently came out on Steam, IIRC, and it was getting praised for the story and characters and all that. I wasn't really interested, but someone I follow was doing a playthrough of it and I am very desperate for things to listen to and waste more of my time with. Long story short, the game reminded me why I hate romance so much to begin with.

I guess I should start on a slightly more positive note in that I recently saw some romance stuff I kinda enjoyed in Fire Emblem: Awakening. I thought the S-Rank supports were all pretty fun because of the characters' personalities playing off each other and stuff, plus the addition of a child helps widen the range of dynamics that can be explored rather than limiting it. They also felt natural because of the buildup from the previous supports. It wasn't super deep or anything but I thought it worked fine and DEFINITELY could have been done worse.

But so why do I like FE:A's romance stuff and not every other romances in the world? Well, like most things on the internet, I suppose it comes down to self-gratification. The main reason I never cared much for romance fiction is because it always felt to me so extremely self-indulgent and wish-fulfillment-y, existing in stories for the sake of itself, like an ouroboros of blushing and shipper squeals. And I guess as far as that goes I don't in any way begrudge the people who DO enjoy that sort of thing because what the hell does that have to do with me, but at the same time when romance stories like the one I've been sitting through get praised for such "deep characterization" and "romance" it just makes me wonder "Why".

Anyways, here's where I finally get to the actual subject matter: the VN is called "Kindred Spirits on the Roof" and it's a VN about lesbian ghosts. It is also terrible. Well, I exaggerate but it really drove me up a wall and hearing that nobody else has really critiqued it so far kinda made me a bit nuts. I guess this is sort of a mini-vent where I talk about all the things I hate about this game but also just romance stuff in general that watching people (who enjoyed the game) play this VN made me realize.

Essentially one of the issues I have with romance stories in general is that, unless they're a tragedy, it's basically a forgone conclusion: these characters aren't happening to find connection, intimacy and a strong relationship through the maelstrom of life and circumstance, they've been created by a writer to get the audience to "ooh" and "aah" and yes all storytelling is this kind of manipulation but with romance it feels so horribly blatant. Say, if a romance story is in the background of a larger story, like, say, 2 of the Power Rangers falling in love over the course of their season, that can be engaging; there are actual risks there (ok maybe not with Power Rangers but whatever) the couple might not end up together; it could turn out to be a tragedy, circumstances could change-- With romance, they're just gonna hook up by the end. With Power Rangers (or whatever) you're able to invest yourself in the characters for reasons other than wanting to see them file their taxes with another person, or like them for reasons beyond "wow they're a cute couple". With romance, it's a cute couple. That's it. There's no goal (beyond, you know... Filing taxes) there's no threats to worry about. There's some drama in the middle, but it's meaningless padding in face of the inevitable. Just like life itself. But anyways back to why Kindred Spirits On The Roof is KinDREADFUL SPEAR-its through my TOOTH.

In KSOTR, one of the couples is having drama and fighting for some reason I don't fully remember. But it probably wasn't very well done even by romance standards because the players themselves were complaining about it. When you have a couple who's clearly going to end up together fighting, there's really only two questions to ask: 1) "When will they get back together" and 2)"Holy shit will they just get back together so I don't have to sit through any more of this NEEDLESS DRAMA". And not even the players ever really thought the game was suddenly going to go "you know what, let's break up this couple, they DON'T get a happy ending." Now I get that romance stories are gonna do what romance stories do-- But I just can't understand how anyone would find this enjoyable to have to meander through the fighting and conflict unless it's A) an interesting and nuanced conflict that brings up relevant themes to both characters and/or the world they inhabit or B) legitimately dramatic with stakes that could potentially end their relationship. The conflict in KSOTR is neither of these things-- The characters themselves admit that they're just acting dumb and the story isn't going to have any legitimate stakes; why would it? The only place with less stakes than a romance story is Uncle Greenie's Vegan Barbeque.

badumtish

im so sorry

anyways back to Kindle Spearmints on the Truth. The other thing about this VN was that the love stuff just kinda... happens. Like, one second, the girls are just going about their business, and then BAM suddenly it's true love or something. Take the protagonist girl for example-- She doesn't seem to care much about romance at all at the beginning and stuff, but then around midway through she's suddenly getting the FLUSTERED HEARTS for her childhood friend. Unless the plot twist here is that there's a love virus slowly enveloping the school, this just kinda... happens. Like, I guess it could be that she's been in love all along and didn't know it? Wait no that's the stupidest thing I've ever typed since 6 sentences ago. BTW the childhood friend ALSO just kinda realizes "oh I guess I'm in love with you too". What exactly happened? I see this sort of thing all the time when fiction romances are involved. At the MOST it'll be like, ONE thing a character says or does that instantly sets off the blushing apocalypse, be it in anime, cartoons, TV, etc. How do the blind fall in love? Is love like a virus and you just get symptoms of it? "Oh man that person makes my heart beat fast, I must be in love. Quick, shoot me now before it's too late". Is it like that episode of Gumball where everyone becomes a happy zombie?

But not to rag too hard on Kindred Spirit Tracks, I'm pretty sure most of the other casts have reasons for their attractions, but most of the time it does seem to boil down to some weird, vague, impossible to quantify "thing" that just makes them be in love. This further makes me feel the whole inevitability of the romance story-- Like God almighty is sticking His holy fingers in the world to make it so that this relationship will bloom. Good thing He's doing that instead of fixing cancer or something, I really care about these two strangers getting together to pay their taxes. It's like playing a video game with God Mode on-- You see the problems, they might stall you for a bit, but they're not gonna ever stop you and it's only a matter of time before you're mopping the floor with their internal organs. Or like when a patronizing kindergarten teacher sets up a 2 inch hurdle for you to leap over; yaaay they did it, they overcame virtually nothing but their own foolishness and got to file their tax returns together whoooo! Take that, IRS! It's like the whole thing is rigged to begin with. Imagine if other kinds of shows did that, like an anime where there hero can never lose ever because he's the strongest motherfucker on the whole plane

oh

ok I did that for a joke but it really isn't the same thing. One Punch Man's conflict has little to do with the actual fighting-- That stuff is just extra compared to the story about Saitama trying to gain recognition and respect, and the stuff about what a "REAL" hero is. It IS a bit set up to win but not nearly as much as these romance stories. Kindred Spirits and those like it might as well be titled "Just Fuck Already: You Know The Couples Now Watch Them Meander About For 13 Hours". Where's the satisfaction in going "oh man that couple they showed on the front cover is doing the exact same thing I saw there except 30 minutes in!" To me it feels the same as going "oh sweet when I dropped that book it totally hit the ground". They're stories that don't exist to tell you anything new or interesting; they exist to tell you the same thing, that yeah, they're gonna make out and there's a hint of drama here and there but it's all good in the hood, so just sit back and watch them. And don't get me wrong; all fiction is manipulative as fuck. Everything I've said can apply just as easily to other shitty executions of different genres. All stories are is lying, but I think when it comes to stories, you have to consider A) the message the lie is trying to give, and B) how well or poorly the lie is told. With romance, the message is "romance is good". And the way the lie is told is just... telling us. Repeating it, with little effort on the storyteller's part. Because they just have to have two people act flustered around each other, and we fill in the rest. It's a feel-good hugbox that exists for its own sake.

Alright I might be going on too harsh here because again, there are people who like this stuff and I can even understand why-- Well at least I think I do. I think we, as human beings, like closure, and there is something really satisfying from predictability-- It's familiar, comforting, it means that things are working as they should. Just because I prefer my stories to be a bit more on the unpredictable side doesn't mean I'd prefer it if, say, my keyboard put out a different letter each time I pressed it. There's comfort in these kinds of simple, clean stories that I can kinda appreciate, and maybe if I could get past my personal misgivings with romance, I'd probably enjoy it more. There ARE romances I do enjoy, and I think that's more about how those lies are told. Like I said before, I can get behind a background romance-- It adds stakes and tension if you aren't sure whether the romance will really happen or not. And if there is a strong message behind it, a la Romeo and Juliet, or if the characters are just fun to have together like in FE:A.

I feel frustrated by bad romance because the lie is poorly told. They ask the viewer to fill in the blanks because they know that the audience really WANTS to see them together. That's my problem with Kindred Roofs on the Spirit. It feels like a weak lie banking on the player's own investment more than the strength of its own writing or intellect, and the praise for it bugs me when it's such a shabby, weak lie. And I was not willing to give it an inch.

i guess for me, Kindred Spirits Filing Their Tax Returns On The Roof just didn't stand

a GHOST of a chance

someone put me out of my misery

I absolutely agree with you on the romance in fiction, though mostly in videogames. Most of the time, it's either sugary-sweet, tooth-decaying schmalz that is boring to observe, since you know nothing will ever happen... but I also hate 'tragedy' romances. Because... well, the tragedies tend to be done early on, when I haven't been given enough TIME to care about either of the participants. And if I don't care, well, it's difficult to give a crap about the tragedy or being brought back together.

My love interest was kidnapped, 15 minutes into the game? Oh, noooooo~ *yawn*

Quote:
When you have a couple who's clearly going to end up together fighting, there's really only two questions to ask: 1) "When will they get back together" and 2)"Holy shit will they just get back together so I don't have to sit through any more of this NEEDLESS DRAMA"

Honestly, my question would more be "Why would they WANT to get back together?" I mean, sure, couples fight sometimes. Keyword: Sometimes. If you are constantly fighting, bickering and arguing with each other, I just wonder why they hell you are even in that person's general vicinity when not forced. Why would I want to get two people together, when they come across like they hate each other, to the point of wanting to skewer each other on steak knives?

I personally am not much into Yuri. I don't hate it, but I don't like it, either. But I know I judge lesbians a bit harshly, you might say, because of their age. I know (from personal experience) that during puberty or the teenager years, it can happen that a girl finds another girl attractive. For no reason other than hormones are jumping around or beginning to realize this and that is attractive to the person. Quite common to happen, from what I've read. But, sometimes/usually, it's something that happens during the hormonal years and then the sexual orientation relaxes and 'settles', if I may use that word.
So, if it's highschool kids, I'm more inclined to think it isn't 'big' love or anything. Just attraction. (Though I am perfectly willing to admit and understand that there are girls who DO honestly realize during their teen years, or earlier, that they are absolutely romantically - and sexually - interested in other girls)

Quote:
They ask the viewer to fill in the blanks because they know that the audience really WANTS to see them together.

This is why I like romances, where you can see something develop and it doesn't have to be overly romantic. Say... Zack and Aerith in Crisis Core. Some say, well, foregone conclusion that they fall for each other. And that is kind of true. But they do interact, they talk and tease and you can see Aerith becoming a bit more open and teasing, from interacting with Zack over the years.

Similarly, when I create my own characters and there's romance, I try to figure out WHY they would fall for each other. Looks? Personality? Did they go through something similar, so they can understand the other's confused emotions? Taking my Fushigi Yuugi Suzaku story, Himeko is married to the emperor. In Just Be Myself itself, there might not be much emphasis on why they initially got together, but hints are dropped. They are shown to be a happy couple (despite having been separated for a few years, because reasons explained in the story) and sweet with each other, but can still talk seriously and respect each other.
In the prequel-ish Himeko's Side - which shows her journey with the warriors, before getting married to Eiyuu - I know that it will include the confession and engagement, wedding, etc. And before starting that, I asked myself... why did they fall in love? Can I present it in a way that it's romantic, without coming across as forced? And, since it takes place a few years ago, I also need to make sure Himeko acts differently from JBM, since she's older and has matured.

Kinda went off-topic with a little self-plugging... Sorry. It just felt like a good explanation and example on how I try to make believeable relationships. Believeable ones, I think, are much more important than romantic ones. Romance is nice and all, but if I don't believe it... I don't care.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

Huh....I actually found the Romance in Fire Emblem: A super lazy and really forced and out of nowhere for a lot of them.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Know what really grinds my gears? This stupid insistence on breaking the last book-turned-movie into two parts these days!

Look, if the last book of a series is really, really tense with action all the way and a lot is happening, I might be able to see that you need two movies. Especially if you can't really cut something, because it might ruin the later events, continuity or explains things that - when taken out - would leave huge holes that nobody would comprehend. But that is usually not the case with these last books!

When I heard that Harry Potter would separate Deathly Hallows into two parts, I asked myself, "Why? How would you make the first part even remotely interesting?" Now, I love Harry Potter! Good series, interesting world, nice character development, a little too heavy and mean on Slytherins to be designated antagonists, but still damn good overall. But even I know that Deathly Hallows had a huge problem. Even when I read the book, by crap, everything between running from the Ministry up to being brought to Malfoy Manor is pointless and could be severely slimmed down. (The exception being the visit to Godric's Hollow and the Silver Doe part)

And the Malfoy Manor part is so late in the book, the next events are so wham-bam in a long line, before something begins to slow down, you can't really drag that on long enough to make a good movie out of it. As it is, it makes the first movie be nothing but boring build-up, with said build-up only in the second movie. At which point, why even go watch the first part? If you go and watch the first part, you're basically wasting your money and time, watching a way too expesnive long trailer for the second part.

Breaking Dawn, from Twilight? Same issue. NOTHING happened in Breaking Dawn itself. Heck, nothing happened in the book, period. But I can at least say the movie TRIED to improve on everything past Bella becoming a vampire. (Not a spoiler, of course, too obvious) But the first part? Pointless filler full of nothing that doesn't matter and you spent money on this shit?

Ditto Hunger Games. And ditto with the news that Divergent's third book, Allegiant, will have two movies. ALLEGIANT IS FILLED WITH NOTHING BUT BORING EXPOSITION ON BORING NOTHING! Why would you put viewers through almost 2 hours of that? You can't tell me money, because sane people would realize that the first part will be shit, since nothing happens, so why even go? (Oh, right. Idiots rule the world.)

It's stupid. You are wasting millions of dollars on making special effects on something that doesn't need them, because nothing happens in those two hours. If I do write that book of abuse being abuse, without romanticizing it, get it published and then get a movie deal (because, apparently, that HAS to happen these days with shit books), I will insist that no "Part 1" and "Part 2" is made. There's just no reason to it.

C-A

You know, a Mario game!

I agree with you, but it's not as bad as them splitting the Hobbit into 3 movies for the sake of milking every last bit of money they can get from this franchise. I wonder if they're going to split the last 50 shades book into 2 parts? I hope not, the world can only take so much of that shit.
My Twitter Account

Given how crap the first movie was, I cannot believe anyone would greenlight the second or third part. Especially the final scene in the third book, where Anastasia's PREGNANT STOMACH GETS FLOGGED! Call it BDSM, call it abuse, but I think even most BDSMers are gonna be... not all that pleased with that part. And given how the two main actors hated each other on the set and hated the roles and hated the movie...

Besides, 50 Shades is just like my other examples. NOTHING happens for majority of the book. Hell, the big revelation that Ana is pregnant (which is mentioned in the synopsis on the back) is not revealed in the book until TWO-THIRDS IN. And then is barely mentioned, because some stupid 'action' plot is shoved in. (Which goes nowhere)

C-A

In Justice We Trust

CatMuto wrote:
And given how the two main actors hated each other on the set and hated the roles and hated the movie...

I think Ahmed Ahmed does a decent job of explaining a major reason why that might not keep them from being in a sequel to that film.
I'll always love you, Max.

I'm not watching the video, too late, so break it down. If it's for sake of making the relationship believeable, won't work. Ana and Grey are supposed to have TWUUEST OF TWU WUVS. And if it's for money, that's not a valid reason.

C-A

You know, a Mario game!

The funny thing about 50 shades is that my mother watched it, and until I explained it to her she didn't even know it was supposed to be a romance! She thought it was a drama, and that Christian Grey was meant to be seen as a villain who manipulates the innocent girl into doing things she wouldn't otherwise do. She didn't believe me at first when I said that it was meant to be romantic. And considering that she falls right into the middle aged mom demographic that made the movie so popular, that's saying something.
My Twitter Account
Page 32 of 39 [ 1554 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices