Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 4 of 8[ 320 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Re: Unpopular Video Game OpinionsTopic%20Title

Oliver wrote:
dimentiorules wrote:
I consider Ghost Trick to be Shu Takumi's magnum opus. That's right, not one of the Ace Attorney games, Ghost Trick. This is coming from someone who's a huge Ace Attorney fan, if I wasnt, I wouldn't be here, would I? Ghost Trick is an absolute masterpiece that is honestly one of the best games I've ever played, its storyline is compelling, and there's never anything that feels like filler, unlike the GS series. The ending is quite possibly the best ending of any game I've ever played, I honestly think it's better than any of the GS games. It's the best game that Takumi's ever worked on, IMHO.

I think that's actually a pretty popular opinion...

A lot of people like the game, though I haven't heard many people consider it better than the Takumi AA games.
Signature loading, please wait...

Great Revival

cesar26100 wrote:
Oliver wrote:
dimentiorules wrote:
I consider Ghost Trick to be Shu Takumi's magnum opus. That's right, not one of the Ace Attorney games, Ghost Trick. This is coming from someone who's a huge Ace Attorney fan, if I wasnt, I wouldn't be here, would I? Ghost Trick is an absolute masterpiece that is honestly one of the best games I've ever played, its storyline is compelling, and there's never anything that feels like filler, unlike the GS series. The ending is quite possibly the best ending of any game I've ever played, I honestly think it's better than any of the GS games. It's the best game that Takumi's ever worked on, IMHO.

I think that's actually a pretty popular opinion...

A lot of people like the game, though I haven't heard many people consider it better than the Takumi AA games.

Huh, I've heard it quite a lot, honestly. XD

You know, a Mario game!

I consider Thieves In Time to be the best game in the Sly Cooper series. It has the best character interactions, the story is interesting, playing as Sly's ancestors is really fun, it has the best set of villains in the series, the levels are massive and feel full of life, and the boss fights are among some of the best in any platformer I've ever played. It's honestly better than any of the Sucker Punch Sly Trilogy IMHO.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Enoshima Junko-chan!

dimentiorules wrote:

I thought of your comment having beaten the game for the second time now, and I absolutely agree. The story is tight and manages to pull off time travel without making paradoxes. Compared to AA, only GK2 comes close to its style of storytelling, but Ghost Trick is masterful in that regard.
TheDoctor wrote:
sumguy28 wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
I guess shooters for me are like... a puzzle game with a story behind it. It makes no sense to have it there, especially since the gameplay will overall not care about the story and go on as it is.

Uncharted.

I see your Uncharted, and raise you Portal 1 & 2.

And I raise you Spec Ops: The Line.

Call me Ishmael.

While it is one of my favorite games of all time and my second favorite Metal Gear game (after MGS1), I can't help but feel that MGS3 marked the beginning of the downhill for the franchise's plot; remember, it introduced the plot points that MGS4 expanded on, such as the identities of the Patriots (this was not a retcon, by the way - there's quite a bit of foreshadowing in 3 and MPO), Ocelot's true loyalty and the will of the Boss. I kind of wish that the series had ended with MGS2's mindscrew ending.

On the subject of Metal Gear, making Raiden a Cyborg Ninja in MGS4 strikes me as an incredibly shallow and cheap attempt at pandering to the MGS2-hating crowd. (Consequently I don't like Rising much at all.)

dullahan1 wrote:
I don't really find Tingle annoying.
This too, and I thought his DS spinoff game was good sans the awful haggling system.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

You know, a Mario game!

I hate Kratos. I like the God of war games, but I can't stand their protagonist. He just seems like a bit of a Mary Sue to me, they try WAY too hard to make him look badass, which leads to him being a really bland, one dimensional neanderthal who never shows any emotion other than anger.
My Twitter Account

dimentiorules wrote:
I hate Kratos. I like the God of war games, but I can't stand their protagonist. He just seems like a bit of a Mary Sue to me, they try WAY too hard to make him look badass, which leads to him being a really bland, one dimensional neanderthal who never shows any emotion other than anger.

I once read that when he was included as a DLC character in Mortal Kombat 9, they made him different from other characters in that he never shows any pain during his animations, (not even when the characters performed a Fatality on him) since Sony didn't want him to look "weak". Which is ridiculous, since what he does as a cameo as a guest fighter in another franchise is not going to affect what the fans think of him or his games, and besides that's giving him an unfair "advantage" over the characters who are actually part of the MK games.
Signature loading, please wait...

Here's a relevant and apparently highly unpopular opinion:

I think Undertale is overhyped. It's not a bad game, by any means, but it does not even come close to deserving the amount of hype, talk, fanart, squee, worshipping, etc. it seems to have gotten from its rather large fanbase.

FoxwolfJackson wrote:
Here's a relevant and apparently highly unpopular opinion:

I think Undertale is overhyped. It's not a bad game, by any means, but it does not even come close to deserving the amount of hype, talk, fanart, squee, worshipping, etc. it seems to have gotten from its rather large fanbase.

I'm surprised at myself for not voicing this opinion in this thread yet. :eh?:

C-A

I've heard that quite a bit, 'undertale is overrated'. I personally agree with it too. I don't think it's a bad game by any means, but it didn't make my cry like it apparently did with others. This was back before it was even out for a month, before all those let's players had done it, and even then, my experience was sort of tainted by other people's opinions. I wasn't allowed to discover much in the game, I was constantly reminded of what I needed to do to get the best ending on my first playthrough. I wasn't allowed to get the normal ending and later discover how to get the true ending, especially since the game tells you in most other endings. It may seem minor, sure, but playing it like a normal rpg the first time round seemed to be a big part of the experience which I missed out on, and can't ever get now…

lonechallenger wrote:
but playing it like a normal rpg the first time round seemed to be a big part of the experience which I missed out on, and can't ever get now…

I can get that. I tend to not do it with RPGs lately, but with Visual Novels like Nicole or Nameless. It is fun to go through it on your own and see what there is to discover; especially with Nicole, which had a mystery plot next to its romance. (Course, that game has the issue that A: who the kidnapper is, is bloody obvious after an early, mandatory scene to view - and if you don't figure it out, then, you are obviously in denial - B: two types of endings, with one only available after getting the first ending with a guy and C: said ending pretty much meant you had to ignore the mystery plot, first, even if it was one of the main things to pull you in)

But then, I think blind VNs tend to not make all that good of LP material... RPGs, sure, but VNs...

C-A

Gettin' Old!

lonechallenger wrote:
I've heard that quite a bit, 'undertale is overrated'. I personally agree with it too. I don't think it's a bad game by any means, but it didn't make my cry like it apparently did with others. This was back before it was even out for a month, before all those let's players had done it, and even then, my experience was sort of tainted by other people's opinions. I wasn't allowed to discover much in the game, I was constantly reminded of what I needed to do to get the best ending on my first playthrough. I wasn't allowed to get the normal ending and later discover how to get the true ending, especially since the game tells you in most other endings. It may seem minor, sure, but playing it like a normal rpg the first time round seemed to be a big part of the experience which I missed out on, and can't ever get now…

Eh I went on a no-kill run without any necessary prompting on the first time. Like...I knew the game had this system where you didn't have to kill anyone. It's there on the back of the box (well front of the steam page) "The RPG where nobody has to die." I have this thing for games with unique mechanics where I'll try and lean into that mechanic as well as I can. So that I feel I'm getting the most unique experience that thing has to offer. I don't feel people HAVE to get the "Normal" ending first.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

I've felt worse.

It's more that people are told that they absolutely must do the pacifist run, otherwise they're a horrible person. Look at ProJared's LP. He went in with countless people telling him to do a pacifist run.
Spoiler:
So when Judgement came, he quickly deduced that he was supposed to play it like a regular RPG, which he didn't get to experience thanks to his fans.

"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Danksgiving

take it from me; these people that tell you to do pacifist runs on the first try are buzzkills

you have my apologies if you fell for their dirty tricks

i finished my first run a couple weeks ago and i still can't believe these people are telling everyone to play it that way

Mister Gruel wrote:
take it from me; these people that tell you to do pacifist runs on the first try are buzzkills

Quite honestly, if I were to play Undertale, any comment that says "You should play X Style and go for Y ending!" I'd tell them with a metaphorical middle finger that I don't care about their opinion, I'm playing it MY way and that way is KILL EVERYTHING. :will: And then not give a shit.

C-A

ASCEND

I started with a Pacifist Run simply because I didn't want to kill any of the enemies, not because anyone told me to. I feel like you should play it in whatever way you want, not that doing it "normally" first is the "normal" way.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Danksgiving

CatMuto wrote:
Mister Gruel wrote:

Quite honestly, if I were to play Undertale, any comment that says "You should play X Style and go for Y ending!" I'd tell them with a metaphorical middle finger that I don't care about their opinion, I'm playing it MY way and that way is KILL EVERYTHING. :will: And then not give a shit.

C-A

well if you already know the ending you might as well not play

and in response to Planetbox I agree with that as long as you do it the way you want without seeing the ending or taking advice from the idiot squad

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Quick question: without spoiling too much, does getting the Pacifist ending first affect the Genocide ending at all? I heard getting the Genocide ending first affects the Pacifist ending, but I wasn't sure about the other.

On that note, does getting either of those endings first affect the normal ending, or does getting the normal ending first affect either of the other endings?

TheDoctor wrote:
Quick question: without spoiling too much, does getting the Pacifist ending first affect the Genocide ending at all? I heard getting the Genocide ending first affects the Pacifist ending, but I wasn't sure about the other.

On that note, does getting either of those endings first affect the normal ending, or does getting the normal ending first affect either of the other endings?

In order:

No
Not 100% certain but fairly sure it doesn't
No

In that case, it would seem the order in which to play the game should be Normal -> Pacifist -> Genocide -> Pacifist, just so you can experience each possible ending.

Gettin' Old!

TheDoctor wrote:
In that case, it would seem the order in which to play the game should be Normal -> Pacifist -> Genocide -> Pacifist, just so you can experience each possible ending.

It's something you really need to play the game to understand...but it's really not about "experiencing each possible ending". You shouldn't go in with a mindset to cover each ending, it's why it's good to go in 'blind'. You should just play as you want to and you won't "plan out" a path (where your actions are forced and pre-set).

Besides the modification made by doing the no-mercy run first is (while not unimportant), tiny and is more of an addition than a subtraction from the original content.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

It's something you really need to play the game to understand...but it's really not about "experiencing each possible ending". You shouldn't go in with a mindset to cover each ending, it's why it's good to go in 'blind'. You should just play as you want to and you won't "plan out" a path (where your actions are forced and pre-set).

Maybe it's me, but wouldn't it... I dunno, annoy players and 'scare' them away by playing the game however they want, only for the game at irregular intervals to tell you "You're an idiot for playing like this, how come you don't have the guts to kill everyone/anyone?" Like, the game sounds unhappy and annoyed at how I play it. Like, developers if you WANT me to play it a specific way, then don't give me options to play it differently OR don't make the game QUESTION me. :ron:

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

Maybe it's me, but wouldn't it... I dunno, annoy players and 'scare' them away by playing the game however they want, only for the game at irregular intervals to tell you "You're an idiot for playing like this, how come you don't have the guts to kill everyone/anyone?" Like, the game sounds unhappy and annoyed at how I play it. Like, developers if you WANT me to play it a specific way, then don't give me options to play it differently OR don't make the game QUESTION me. :ron:

C-A

Again it's something you need to play it to really 'get' I think but, assuming you know nothing about the game, there's not many incentives either way for different routes. Different characters are like "Yeah kill everyone!" but other characters are like "Let them go if they don't want to fight." The devs aren't telling you to play it a specific way. It's all up to what you want. The game never really calls you an idiot for how you play it, in-universe characters will get annoyed/pleased however you play it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

迷探偵

Seeing Zero Time Dillema news pass by reminded me: II think I'm one of the few here who thought 999 was boring! I'll be the first to admit I only did one playthrough (I think you needed at least two playthroughs for the real ending?), but I just didn't feel like playing it again. The story itself was not particularly gripping and the game system was a bit flawed (where is my flowchart!).

And I like playing novel games! In fact, I played pretty much all of Chunsoft novel games, from Otogiriso to the Kamaitachi no Yoru series and Machi and 428. Kamaitachi, Machi and 428? Rank among the most memorable games I've played. 999? 'Meh'.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

It had good music though, at least.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Undertale fans are like the obsessed fan that watches over your shoulder and tells you what's going on and how to play. It's hard to recommend without going too into detail and thus spoiling.
When you recommend something, don't even let people know that there are twists or they'll go into a game/movie/book/whatever expecting that.
Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

In order:

No
Not 100% certain but fairly sure it doesn't
No

Spoiler: I can explain
The Genocide route affects the Pacifist ending in one small way, and that is the end credits scene. It also affects dialogue at the end of another Genocide run, but it has no effect on a normal ending.

Quote:
don't even let people know that there are twists or they'll go into a game/movie/book/whatever expecting that.

Uh... I would expect SOME sort of twist from any medium, even if I go into it without knowing anything about it beyond its name and a very minute description of its premise. Because a twist - or some form of action, a 'climax - is necessary for proper story telling. If a medium doesn't have that, I'd wonder what the hell I just wasted my time on. (And this goes for a medium that does have something that is supposed to be its climactic action, but it's written/presented/developed in a way that it lacks the feeling of action, making it seem actionless)

C-A

I dunno if this counts as unpopular, but I don't think gen 1 Pokémon has aged all that well. I got a copy of Yellow a while back and I'll admit, I ended up using some glitches/exploits to get past parts of the game (like using a Pokédoll on the Lavender Town ghost instead of the Silph Scope) just because I got quite bored of it. And my Venusaur got super op thanks to the toxic and leech seed combo.

Only reason I bring this up is 'cause of the vc rerelease, I played through it once and don't intend to again on the vc. I honestly don't really get the hype, unless it's because of nostaliga, as in my opinion, the series has evolved so much over time, that it makes gen 1 kinda hard to play for those without the nostalgia.

It's 100% nostalgia, anyone who says Gen 1 is still good is completely blinded by it

Quote:
It's 100% nostalgia, anyone who says Gen 1 is still good is completely blinded by it

This is why I don't go for nostalgia. It makes you look stupid and not see the blatant issues.

Gen I and II are SO badly aged. And anyone who may want to go back, out of curiosity, and play them are in for bad awakenings. Not only cause the type advantage was botched cause of a programming mistake (Psychic is super OP of a type, since Bugs suck and Ghost was made inaffective instead of super effective), but there is also no proper split between special and physical attacks and you can't run. It's so boring. Only upside, Team Rocket was pretty pointless and not the ZOMG MUST SAVE WUUURLD FROM THEM type that keeps going on. (Cut them out! I don't WANT to save the world, I just wanna fight and catch Pokémon!)

C-A

Gettin' Old!

Quote:
Gen I and II are SO badly aged.

Hey now heey now don't dream its over

Last I heard people loved Soul Silver and Heart Gold.

Heard many folks praising gen 2 as the best one.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Danksgiving

Quote:
Not only cause the type advantage was botched

Quote:
but there is also no proper split between special and physical attacks

this is why i cant take you guys seriously :godot:

I actually liked gen 2 when going back to it, but like with gen 1, I have no intention on playing them again and would much rather replay anything gen 3 onwards. It was kinda funny to see Pokémon like Ghastly or Koffing get hit by Earthquake, just because as someone who started with gen 4, I'd been programmed to always associated them with a ground weakness.

Last edited by Lone on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre wrote:

Uh, SoulSilver and HeartGold are Gen IV. Sure, they take place in the city of Gen II, since they are remakes, but it has the features of Gen IV in it. :ron:

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Uh, SoulSilver and HeartGold are Gen IV. Sure, they take place in the city of Gen II, since they are remakes, but it has the features of Gen IV in it. :ron:

C-A

OK sure.

Before soul silver and heart gold people really liked gen 2 which contributed to them being excited for HG/SS.

Still works
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You know, a Mario game!

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:

I feel the same way about Goldeneye 007 on the N64. As someone who played it for the first time just a couple of years ago, I can say that it hasn't aged well at all. The controls are a major example of this. They just feel clunky and are hard to get used to.
My Twitter Account

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Gen 1 is practically a game held together by loosely put tape. It's a buggy mess. The only reason I'd ever want to go back to it would be just to screw around with the glitches. Might have been the first I played, but I'm not blind to it.

And while Gen 2 has some carry overs from Gen 1, it fixed up a lot of the problems that Gen 1 had, mostly because by then, the team had more competence at building a more solid game. While the mechanics are outdated now, I honestly feel it still holds up pretty well. Definitely better than Gen 1. Granted, the only reason I'd really go back to this is for nostalgia, if I didn't own the remakes, or if I wanted to play the exclusive Crystal. But I don't think it's as terrible as Gen 1 is, considering you actually have to try to get some exploits as opposed to just accidentally stumbling upon them.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

You know, a Mario game!

I think Charizard is overrated. It's just a generic fire breathing dragon, why is it so popular?! When you compare it to a Dinosaur with a tree growing out of its back and a turtle with giant cannons coming out of its shell, it just doesn't seem as creative, yet it's somehow more popular than both of them!
My Twitter Account

I've felt worse.

dimentiorules wrote:
I think Charizard is overrated. It's just a generic fire breathing dragon, why is it so popular?! When you compare it to a Dinosaur with a tree growing out of its back and a turtle with giant cannons coming out of its shell, it just doesn't seem as creative, yet it's somehow more popular than both of them!

Charizard is popular because when you're a kid, you don't care about creativity and just want a freaking fire breathing dragon.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Gettin' Old!

sumguy28 wrote:
dimentiorules wrote:

Charizard is popular because when you're a kid, you don't care about creativity and just want a freaking fire breathing dragon.

Speak for yourself Blastoise is Beast!

Though in that note I get what the issue is at least for me. For I started with Pokémon Blue. I set out with hopes in my heart.

Then the TV show comes out and it's revealed that the protagonist is "Red" and the initial antagonist is "Blue". That hurt, being cast as a villain without any say so. Then the show featured Charizard prominently, more so than other starters and it left people who didn't choose Charimander feel like they'd made the 'wrong' choice. Least for me it did.

So that's why I'm not a fan of the show

And Pokémon Origins can take a hike...there's no way MegaCharizard survives a Hydro Pump from an equally powerful MegaBlastoise.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 4 of 8 [ 320 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station