Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 1 of 2[ 72 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Case one discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

This is a general discussion thread for AA6 episode one, "Turnabout Foreigner"! Please use spoiler tags when discussing any plot points of the episode that haven't been officially announced.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Case one discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title

~chansey~

I will just say it was a great first case that didn't disappoint! It felt fresh and I buy most of the stuff that happens. Maybe one of the better first cases?

Spoiler: Court Rules
The fact that a guilty verdict meant death for the lawyer as well was definately some unique spice, and even though you weren't exactly afraid of losing it really put Phoenix in some new positions, which is something that was lacking in the last game. They really made it feel like between life or death.

Ace Fangirl

It also explains why Phoenix is taking defense in the first place. This is something that confused me at first, because:

Spoiler:
Early promo material just sort of implied that 'being a defense attorney is illegal in Khura'in', but that's not quite it. A defense attorney is up to perfectly legal things so long as the defendant is proven innocent. That means that so long as Phoenix gets not-guilty verdicts, he's not breaking any laws and can do as he pleases. It's at his own risk though, because the moment he loses a case, it's death row for him. (he only ever takes murder cases, let's be real)

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I basically can't understand Japanese, but I got this on my 3DS anyway. The first thing I notice is wow, the way the game opens feels really quick, like oh, we're suddenly just in Khura'in from the get-go.

It feels weird not to have the prologue anime in the game, but I guess it would've made the game size a lot bigger. Dunno how much a 3DS cartridge can hold, but DD was not that big and apparently this is only slightly bigger whereas some of the meatiest 3DS games take up to 3gb in size. (DD was only 500mb)

Otherwise, I don't know, it feels weird to have that case opening, then show the culprit and the crime, and then cut to some casual banter and Phoenix going to the Courtroom on his sightseeing (I assume) and then gets thrown into the crime.

Spoiler:
Nice, fully animated flashback of Maya though
. I feel this game has slightly amped up the cinematicness, that while probably not on par with DGS's level in sheer variety, is a noticeable change from DD and so far a welcome one. I do wish the entire UI would've been revamped to look Khura'in-y when in Khura'in though, and vice versa. It has an odd mix of DD and then the exotic UI design at the same time. Same with how most of the music sounds exotic but then you have the DD Suspense theme.

I'm probably not gonna dabble with this beyond the introduction though, not before September.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Yabba Dabba Doo

So the victim's name is
Spoiler:
Paht Rohl

Capcom is having way to much fun with these names lmao.

Gardevoir lover

That's almost as bad as Deid mann.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Yabba Dabba Doo

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
That's almost as bad as Deid mann.

I am legitimately excited to see what Potdino Niwakas name is.
Spoiler:
Maybe it's Gee Zeus

Probably Cuhl'Priht. >_>

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Finally got a chance to complete this case for myself, and I think I've just got a new favorite 1st case. Interesting introduction, cute guide and his even cuter friend, and one of the best string of testimonies from a witness ever. Also, one of the most impressionable witnesses ever. And it was quite satisfying facing the ever aggravating Payne and knocking him off his high horse.
Spoiler:
And knocking off his crown.

And it was rewarding as expected to select the wrong answers from time to time. I was pleasantly surprised to find at least one instance where I could act the idiot and still be granted a nice panning camera motion. The devs were quite liberal with the camera motions.

I can see what some people were complaining about with how repetitive some things were, like Nick's desperate bluffs, the crowd's reactions, and the princess' stuffy attitude. However, they were quite fitting in context and I felt all the hatred from everyone in the court added to the immersion.

It was not a difficult case, though, and I was easily ahead of Nick's conclusions for the most part. It did make his level of desperation a bit exaggerated at times, but his life was on the line, so it's understandable.

All in all, I am most content with the start of this game.

Spoiler: extra thoughts
I do wonder how localization will handle the English swear words. Since Potdino came from "Europe", perhaps a little variety in languages with be in order.

Psh, Potdino is the real Euro-rock God here. Klav was always just a wannabe.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Spoiler: extra thoughts
I do wonder how localization will handle the English swear words. Since Potdino came from "Europe", perhaps a little variety in languages with be in order.

Psh, Potdino is the real Euro-rock God here. Klav was always just a wannabe.

[/spoiler]
Potdino: Weil… Scheiße! Scheiße! Scheiße! Und… Scheiße![/spoiler]
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

After so many years, we finally get a direct Star Trek reference!
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Really? Where?

Also, to anyone who's gotten there:
Spoiler:
Does Rock God Jesus actually swear in another language?

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

During the Divination Seance. The gallery cheers Rayfa on, saying "Long may you live and prosper!", to which Phoenix replies "Hey! I want to live long and prosper, too!"

Wow, now I understand why this game has "pacing issues". It's not as bad as I feared, but it's still slow. The dialogue interactions have been witty enough to be enjoyable but the amount of time they spend on every point even before the first cross examination is like they're frontloading all the exposition into one concentrated bit. There really must have been better ways to slowly establish the country of Khura'in than to make every character in a row talk about the customs of the country or tell Phoenix how hopeless it is to be a defense attorney here. When Ahlbi came in to do the game's first cross-examination I was taken aback by just how long time had passed already with zero gameplay even though half the time had been in the courtroom. There are some passages of dialogue I would've simply cut like when Payne presents the facts and Nick starts to come up with counterpoints. That all happened as part of the VN-style gameplay with a few choice-prompts here and there, but gee. It feels like this is a director's cut.

I loved the references to metal songs Andistan'dhin did while talking. I found a couple metal songs' names, namely Sweating Bullets and Crazy Train.
I don't think it's a coincidence :yogi:

The miracle never happen

linkenski wrote:
Wow, now I understand why this game has "pacing issues". It's not as bad as I feared, but it's still slow. The dialogue interactions have been witty enough to be enjoyable but the amount of time they spend on every point even before the first cross examination is like they're frontloading all the exposition into one concentrated bit. There really must have been better ways to slowly establish the country of Khura'in than to make every character in a row talk about the customs of the country or tell Phoenix how hopeless it is to be a defense attorney here. When Ahlbi came in to do the game's first cross-examination I was taken aback by just how long time had passed already with zero gameplay even though half the time had been in the courtroom. There are some passages of dialogue I would've simply cut like when Payne presents the facts and Nick starts to come up with counterpoints. That all happened as part of the VN-style gameplay with a few choice-prompts here and there, but gee. It feels like this is a director's cut.

Oh, so it's not just me sucking, the case really is super long, it took my like, 3-4 hours to complete, I thought I was just slow and bad at the game, the latter is true, but the former might not be as true as I had thought.
Also, did they reference both Star Trek and GREASE in the same case? Give me more.
"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando

Yabba Dabba Doo

Kessler wrote:
linkenski wrote:

Oh, so it's not just me sucking, the case really is super long, it took my like, 3-4 hours to complete, I thought I was just slow and bad at the game, the latter is true, but the former might not be as true as I had thought.
Also, did they reference both Star Trek and GREASE in the same case? Give me more.

Same for me. The case felt incredibly slow, which us too bad. I really loved the character of Andistan'dhin though.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Coincidentally, the game's release date was also the air date of the original Star Trek series.

The miracle never happen

Yash K. Productions wrote:
Coincidentally, the game's release date was also the air date of the original Star Trek series.

Coincidence... or conspiracy?
YEAH!
"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando

Elite of CR Apparently

Okay, so I just finished playing through The Foreign Turnabout, and... I liked it, it did well for a first case. But there were two things I didn't like, mainly...

Spoiler:
EVERYTHING PEES'LUBN ANDISTAN'DHIN SAYS. Like, his text is too slow for me. A personal nitpick, but I'd rather have the dialogue on the screen, ready to move on to the next, and not have to wait for it to finish (and yes, before anyone points it out, I KNOW the fast forward button is available in the options, but that brings me to my next point). Now, granted, I could've been okay with this, but everything he said was just boring to me. Even after turning into his rock form, it didn't leave an impression. I just wanted to move on and get the cross-examination over with.

I did like the Twisted Sister reference though, wish there was a Aerosmith reference though... :sadshoe:

Spoiler:
And the killer being revealed at the beginning. I know it's practically series tradition to do this, but why couldn't we have another first case like Turnabout Trump (and Turnabout Memories, actually) where the killer isn't revealed, and you have to figure it out? Not a major nitpick, but it would've been nice. :phoenix:

*Phew* Mini rant over. :gymshoe: Like I said, I liked a lot about it, but it wasn't perfect, and I like Turnabout Memories a bit more, but it contends as my 3rd favorite first case. I'd give it a 4.5/5.

(Also does anyone notice how a lot of Ace Attorney cases have to do with bludgeoning as the cause of death? Something I noticed. :P)

I can't collect my thoughts yet, but I beat it just now. Whoo boy! That was a ride and I'm super friggin tired now. But all in all, great case. I liked the way it sets up the plot. It's self-aware at the fact that Khura'in is pretty far out both physically and figuratively speaking and I got such a kick out of everyone yelling "Death to the lawer! Die Phoenix!" like it's so overblown that it becomes funny and i think the case balanced this serious vs silly or I guess "the tone" in a really classy way. Andastan'dhin had me in stiches but then like a really funny comedy i started to get exhausted from the constant stream of fun things going on, and at some point I wish they would've turned down the humor knob just for a time, maybe bring in Ahlbi to make a testimony again or something, because really, I got exhausted but it wasn't bad. It was actually really great I think.

The mystery itself was so-so. There weren't a lot of "moments" in terms of mystery or twists I don't think and they telegraphed all the big ones too soon just because everything was super obvious. The Magatama twist was one where I was like "Oh, uh, yeah I guess that's right" but I wasn't surprised because I hadn't even noticed the difference between
Spoiler:
that Andastandihn called it a "magatama" and not a "Mitamah" and it's not like this fact meant a lot when it turns out the hidden keyhole was shaped like a Mitamah
. I like the characters so far. I distinctly remember how DD gave me this disheartening feeling at times and despite all, the slow pacing, lack of gameplay for long stretches, this case never gave me any sort of negative feeling like that, because this feels like a much more confident and creative story thus far.

I also like
Spoiler: Plot
Inga that showed up, and I think I see what they did with his name in more ways than one.

New Adventurer

That was pretty great for a first case.

I loved the villain's breakdown and w/ all the crazy stuff that happened, I think it'll be hard for Phoenix to forget Payne again (though since it's a reoccurring gag we know he will anyways)

The miracle never happen

Cream Soda wrote:
That was pretty great for a first case.

I loved the villain's breakdown and w/ all the crazy stuff that happened, I think it'll be hard for Phoenix to forget Payne again (though since it's a reoccurring gag we know he will anyways)

I thought they only made that joke like... twice in the main series games, is it really much more common than I remember?
-Diego Armando

Clarion of Revelations

I just completed it.
I liked it, though it feels a little slow at times, too much talking and not a lot of doing, but I hope that gets better with the following cases.
I liked the villain's breakdown a lot! I also liked the 3D scenes, I think they look great when used correctly

linkenski wrote:
I also like
Inga that showed up, and I think I see what they did with his name in more ways than one.

I am curious as to what you figured out because I have no idea what it is behind his name (aside from the Japanese puns).

The cape is self-fluttering

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the case felt a little long.

Spoiler: gripe
I'm a bit disappointed in where Phoenix is in terms of his skills as a lawyer. I know they want to keep him "Phoenix" but he still acts way too amateurish at 35, even for someone who's only had their badge back for the last year or so. The sweating animation is way overdone. I can deal with the occasional straw grasping, but for all his boasting of experience (eleven years? Well yeah, if you don't count the seven he was badge-less... yes, yes, I realize he's also including his travels with Edgeworth and his work on the failed Jurist system), he shouldn't flounder around so much in the courtroom. The thing with the séance, fine. The rest of it, however, is basically the court he's used to.

Spoiler: Andistan'dhin
LMAO
oh my god, this dude

He has easily become my favorite witness and culprit ever. And it got even better when he converted to heavy metal form.

Spoiler: Khura'in
What the fuck is up with this barbaric country? Talking about cutting out tongues and dealing death sentences to defense lawyers and child defendants as though it's the most natural thing. It's like Labyrinthia in the Far East, except with less fire and more shearing of tongue.

That's just a random comment; I assume they'll reveal the reasons for cutting out defense lawyers in upcoming episodes.

Spoiler: the rest
Ahlbi's the sweetest ever. I lol'd at his attempts to charge Phoenix for everything. Guess that money-grabbing problem wasn't limited to Maya.

Rayfa so far reminds me of a cross between Franziska and Yumihiko/Sebastian. Full of herself and probably told she was special all throughout her young life, though she does seem competent at what she does since she's a priestess and all. I'm guessing the haughtiness will continue until at some point in the plot when life slaps her in the face.

I like the Judge's design, but he somehow seems even dumber than the regular AA judge. It makes me wonder how he got that seat and kept it. I did laugh when the cross-examination was reintroduced and Phoenix thought "A judge who doesn't know what a "cross-examination" is... What fresh hell is this?"

Tehm'pul Temple - oh, fuuuuuuuuuuuck you lmao

Poor, poor Payne. Chased out of his home country only to lose his perfect win streak (acquired only due to having no opponent) and his hair. When are these prosecutors ever going to learn? Never be overconfident to the point where you're letting the defense call the shots because that's a surefire way to lose your case! :gant:

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Art Person

Jean Descole wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed in where Phoenix is in terms of his skills as a lawyer. I know they want to keep him "Phoenix" but he still acts way too amateurish at 35, even for someone who's only had their badge back for the last year or so. The sweating animation is way overdone. I can deal with the occasional straw grasping, but for all his boasting of experience (eleven years? Well yeah, if you don't count the seven he was badge-less... yes, yes, I realize he's also including his travels with Edgeworth and his work on the failed Jurist system), he shouldn't flounder around so much in the courtroom. The thing with the séance, fine. The rest of it, however, is basically the court he's used to.

Spoiler: In response
To be fair, I understand the setting of it being a foreign country along with the fact that DC Act would make anyone nervous, plus the daleks in the audience crying "Exterminate" would feel uncomfortable.

Still he was more mature than the Judge AND Payne, so I think the only times I saw him freak out was when they were drumming up suspense, or if you get an answer wrong.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Spoiler:
I've only played the first two cases so far but I wanted to get my opinions out before I forget them.

Personally I thought the case was way too long and most of it was boring, apart from the segment after Rayfa leaves. There's still the issue of huge amounts of text between gameplay like in Dual Destinies, but it's really bad here.

Speaking of which, Andistan'dhin's metal mode went on for far too long. I do appreciate that they went through the effort to make the blips sound like singing, though.

And I don't get the pun on his last name. His first name is easy to me.

Art Person

Spoiler:
Who Andistan'dhin? It's Understanding. Peace, Love and Understanding

Hot Dog

I have just finished it. I have to agree with those who say that it's quite slow and that they expend a lot of time talking about things that are not that important (the joke with the Judge's wife, for example, was constantly popping up. And also the cheering from the public annoyed me a lot).

I loved all the characters, though. Tonate and Woods in Dual Destinies were pretty annoying in my opinion and their quirks got old really fast, but Alhbi and Andistan'dhin were really enjoyable. I loved both of them. The judge was also great, he felt similar to Japanifornia's judge but also a bit different. Payne, well... As usual. Not much to say about him.

Spoiler:
I loved Andistan'dhin's heavy metal phase, I enjoyed every moment of it. I liked his character and I suppose, like in Tonate's case, there's more to discover in the final cases about him. They hinted that he was coerced by the rebels, but maybe there's more to it.

Overall, a good first case. I prefer other first cases like T&T's or Apollo Justice's, but I enjoyed this one.

The cape is self-fluttering

SuperAj3 wrote:
Jean Descole wrote:

Spoiler: In response
To be fair, I understand the setting of it being a foreign country along with the fact that DC Act would make anyone nervous, plus the daleks in the audience crying "Exterminate" would feel uncomfortable.

Still he was more mature than the Judge AND Payne, so I think the only times I saw him freak out was when they were drumming up suspense, or if you get an answer wrong.

Spoiler:
I get all of that, but I think that's part of the problem. He's used to high stress situations by this point, yet was nervous even before learning of the DC Act. It's like they want to constantly put him in situations where he can only be green, even though these are the kind of situations that should make a lawyer grow.

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
linkenski wrote:
I also like

I am curious as to what you figured out because I have no idea what it is behind his name (aside from the Japanese puns).

I'm maybe wrong but I think this is
Spoiler: SPECULATION
Apollo's dad.

Gettin' Old!

Regarding the villain:

Spoiler:
Andistan'dhin might just be my favourite of the "tutorial case" villains ever.

Granted he's KIND OF a repeat of the AA5 DLC case transformation...except this time he transforms into a genre I can dig!

Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Hmmm. I think his dialogue is way funnier too even if it's the same schtick
Spoiler:
just with metal theme. His theme makes more sense to me, being a thrash-metal dude making metal-lyrics out of the Khura'in themes of souls, death and punishment. Marlon being a random rapper guy in a seaworld was too random for my liking and his rap was too 90s and not modern enough.

"The screams of my soul are gonna make a mosh pit out of this peanut gallery!"

He's just hilarious

Gettin' Old!

linkenski wrote:
Hmmm. I think his dialogue is way funnier too even if it's the same schtick
Spoiler:
just with metal theme. His theme makes more sense to me, being a thrash-metal dude making metal-lyrics out of the Khura'in themes of souls, death and punishment. Marlon being a random rapper guy in a seaworld was too random for my liking and his rap was too 90s and not modern enough.

"The screams of my soul are gonna make a mosh pit out of this peanut gallery!"

He's just hilarious

Also to his credit....I felt Payne was a LOT funnier in his dialogue as well this time around. Just the way you see him and the villain playing off each other is pretty damn great.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Yeah he was. Gaspen wasn't even that bad in 5-1 but at one point I felt he was straying too far from the Payne persona which I feel is valid because even though he's technically the brother... I mean, this IS Payne just in amped up competence.

I loved some of his mannerisms in this one like how he takes certain moments to comment on Wright's facial expression like he's obsessed with him and I thought that they dubbed him "Incredible Payne" was really good too, and the best thing is how Phoenix's comments were totally underplayed unlike in the demo, it's like he was just like "Yeah, whatever, Payne" all the time which I also relate to because he's so overdone xD

The miracle never happen

Spoiler:
I agree with you guys on Payne, but damn, his obsession with getting back at Wright is so strong that he was willing to have Phoenix put to death for simply defeating him and his brother, insane much?

-Diego Armando

Gettin' Old!

Kessler wrote:
Spoiler:
I agree with you guys on Payne, but damn, his obsession with getting back at Wright is so strong that he was willing to have Phoenix put to death for simply defeating him and his brother, insane much?

Yeah there was some actual genuine bloodthist and (dare I say) intimidation from Payne there.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The whole "death to lawyers" thing is just pure camp. Of course it's serious inside the fiction but I honestly don't think we're meant to take it completely seriously if you know what I mean. It's so far out and stupid that it becomes comical and you're not quite sure if it's intentional but I'm pretty sure the writers know this. It reminds me a lot of how in MGS3 a serious driving part of the excellent plot is that the villain decides to fire a nuke on his countrymen just because he can, and I still liked it in spite of that... I mean, it's ridiculous! xD

Similarly Deadly Premonition has a pretty captivating narrative in its own special... low-budget, low-skill kind of way and it's primarily driven by nonsense but it still makes you feel. I'm way off on a tangent here, but it's just to say that for all the surprise at how cruel Payne is, consider these things.

Gettin' Old!

linkenski wrote:
The whole "death to lawyers" thing is just pure camp. Of course it's serious inside the fiction but I honestly don't think we're meant to take it completely seriously if you know what I mean. It's so far out and stupid that it becomes comical and you're not quite sure if it's intentional but I'm pretty sure the writers know this. It reminds me a lot of how in MGS3 a serious driving part of the excellent plot is that the villain decides to fire a nuke on his countrymen just because he can, and I still liked it in spite of that... I mean, it's ridiculous! xD

Similarly Deadly Premonition has a pretty captivating narrative in its own special... low-budget, low-skill kind of way and it's primarily driven by nonsense but it still makes you feel. I'm way off on a tangent here, but it's just to say that for all the surprise at how cruel Payne is, consider these things.

I'd say you are spot on for Deadly Premonition.

In Volgin's case I'm pretty sure he had his reasons. He destroyed a rival research facility that I'm pretty sure was run by one of his enemies. Remember Volgin isn't exactly on good terms with Mother Russia in that game.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 1 of 2 [ 72 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)