Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 4 of 8[ 298 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Re: Zero Escape 3: Zero Time Dilemma (3DS/Vita/PC, June 28thTopic%20Title

[Whip the cream!]

I've never felt this hyped for a game ever before.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Blah!

Box art has arrived! It also confirms that the game is rated ESRB M.

Spoiler: images

I somehow hadn't noticed Zero was in the background until I saw this post, despite having spent some time looking at the mage both when it came out and when I saw on reddit this was the new box art.

I am still disappointed it doesn't look like this, though. At least I hope the back looks similar.
Signature loading, please wait...

OBJECTION!

Cesar Zero wrote:
I somehow hadn't noticed Zero was in the background until I saw this post, despite having spent some time looking at the mage both when it came out and when I saw on reddit this was the new box art.

I am still disappointed it doesn't look like this, though. At least I hope the back looks similar.

That fan art is actually brilliant.
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

元・超会社員級の管理人

Second trailer released.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Blah!

Bolt Storm wrote:

I see the game is rated CERO D after all. Guess they underestimated what CERO would allow before Z.

Voice acting in the English version is straight up meme-worthy

元・超会社員級の管理人

ZTD trophy list has been released - the hidden ones are fairly spoilery, so you may not want to look.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

This is kind of late, but since no one seems to have posted this here: A video showing some gameplat=y fot he game has been released. It doesn't spoil much about the game, the footage is mostly the decision that was shown at GDC, but including some escape room gameplay (The solutions to the puzzles are not shown), though it contain some dialogue that may hint at part of this game's story.

Art Person

I keep seeing this series being mentioned around the place and I have to ask is it worth getting?

I see 999 is on the app store for about $8AUD, and I might try this series out.

Chronically Unstable

Yes. The series is amazing. Combining the escape room puzzles, great characters, gorgeous and chilling music and very intricate plot, I'd say it's worth getting/playing every game in the series.

As for 999 on iOS, don't buy it unless you've already finished the original and wish to support the series. It has no escape room segments, which is half the meat IMO. Your best bet is to either order a copy from eBay/Amazon/wherever or just emulate it. Trust me, the experience is worth it.

Last edited by SPInc on Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't emulate it, support the series

The Aksys online store still has new copies of the first and second games (and is taking pre-orders for ZTD)

Art Person

The iOS version is missing the escape the room sections? Oh wow (That's what got me intrigued about this game).
If anything I'll look for a second-hand copy then. Thanks for letting me know!

For what it's worth I had to emulate the game because the text speed was excruciating and you have to have a clear save file every time you start the game or you'll miss the parts where the text doesn't let you fast forward on subsequent playthroughs

I still bought a copy, of course, but this game really needs a steam port. Believe it or not but the text speed is usually what ends up turning people off of the game when I recommend it (though I've gotten some to grin and bear it)

is a five star man.

I actually played the ios version before the DS version (I know, sacrilege), and really enjoyed it. Having said that, if room puzzles are what you're after then yeah, go for a second hand copy.

My worry now is that I'm going to need a refresher on the plot of the last two games, having not played them in a while, and having lost my copy of VLR.
Visit http://toatalireviews.com for all your TV and video game review needs.

Once you get a translated version of this, you should be good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8oN6XBE7SU

Art Person

JesusMonroe wrote:
Once you get a translated version of this, you should be good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8oN6XBE7SU

They're re-making the games? ooh nice!
If that's the case, I'll see whether the 3DS or Vita is better. I've got both consoles, but it depends on their digital prices.

Great Revival

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
NEW TRAILER!!

SuperAj3 wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

They're re-making the games? ooh nice!
If that's the case, I'll see whether the 3DS or Vita is better. I've got both consoles, but it depends on their digital prices.

I'm pretty sure that's just a summary of the first two games.

Blah!

Screen captures of all three versions of the game have been released.

3DS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhMZe4FvATI
Vita: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MOuFLxpLVo
PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZp-uatEL4I

Naturally, PC has the best fidelity of them all. But I'm a bit surprised that they had to cut back so much for the 3DS (see the background textures and lack of depth of field at 1:13), although it seems to have a more stable framerate than the Vita (see 1:01). I guess they didn't have the budget for heavy optimization.

At this point, I'm most likely getting it on PC. I might get the 3DS version too, but only if GameStop's reserved pick up at the store has a watch. The page for the game no longer references the watch though... and Amazon has a watch version page but it's always been sold out. I wonder what's up with that.

Great Revival

Stumbled into spoilers and shit on 4Chan... God I hope they're fake. :ron:

Oliver wrote:
Stumbled into spoilers and shit on 4Chan... God I hope they're fake. :ron:

If you are talking about this post, then you can be sure it's fake, as the trophies reveal that none of the endings mentioned there exist. Other than that I'm pretty sure people have only leaked pretty minor spoilers.

Blah!

For those who pre-ordered the watch edition of ZTD, the watches in this edition were damaged in transit, but the games themselves are ok. The watch will be delivered later, but you'll get the game on time. The watch will probably be delayed to early August.

I have no idea what this means for GameStop pick up in store pre-orders, aka the ones where you don't buy it until you pick it up.

Also, it sounds like some time after this issue is resolved, the watch will be available by itself. There may be other merch too.

This situation isn't finished yet, so there will be more info later, such as exactly how the watches will be delivered. Sounds like the plan is for the retailers (Amazon and GameStop) to ship the watches separately.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Is it bad that I played 999, and had no interest in picking up VLR until I saw the info for this game?

元・超会社員級の管理人

Well, depending on where you live and where you're buying from, the game's either already out or is about to be.

Happy escaping, all!

Wooster wrote:

hahahahaha are you fucking serious

Spoiler: ZTD
Zero: I'll flip a coin, guess right and you can all leave, guess wrong and you have to play my death game

*guesses right*

Zero: Okay bye

*credits roll*

-edit- nvm I'm dumb, should've known it wouldn't be that easy

Gettin' Old!

Man blitzed into the shop only to find out that its not available in a physical copy here in the EU. Will need to get on that when I get home.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Oh, and this probably goes without saying, but ZTD drops some massive spoilers for VLR right out of the gate, so...yeah. Probably gonna want to play that first if you haven't yet.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Thankfully, I managed to grab a copy during the PSN flash sale.

Gettin' Old!

So I got end credits already

Spoiler: VLR also only like 3 minutes into the game
Called the coin toss right, everyone got out alive.

So like knowing that VLR said the point was to prevent the events of that game happening...

I should just put it down now right? Everyone gets out alive and nothing awful happens.

Is it once of those moments like with Undertale where the game is baiting me to play it but it knows playing the game is a bad decision and will call me out on it?

Cause... Not really got my moneys worth there.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
So I got end credits already

Spoiler: VLR also only like 3 minutes into the game
Called the coin toss right, everyone got out alive.

So like knowing that VLR said the point was to prevent the events of that game happening...

I should just put it down now right? Everyone gets out alive and nothing awful happens.

Is it once of those moments like with Undertale where the game is baiting me to play it but it knows playing the game is a bad decision and will call me out on it?

Cause... Not really got my moneys worth there.

Spoiler:
Even on that timeline something bad still happens. You will know exactly what that is later on in the game.

Gettin' Old!

Not really enjoying the presentation much. The more realistic art style makes the expressions and animations more subdued and less exaggerated compared to VLR. People's faces just don't move much and I think it gives them a lot of "uncanny valley". The expressions barely change at all and most of the time people maintain the same look on their face regardless of what has happened. It looks really dumb if someone finishes talking and their mouth is left hanging open, like Jimmy-Neutron levels of poor animation.

I also kinda miss advancing the text manually, things running like a cutscene it feels like the game is less interactive than ever. I was actually worried for a while puzzles wouldn't be in the game.

Still...we'll see how this plays out. Counting on the story to be good here.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I've felt worse.

Couldn't get a physical copy for a while here, so I guess eShop will have to suffice. Oh well.
Now let's see if I can finish the game without accidentally spoiling myself on Zero's identity like I did with every other game.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Gettin' Old!

Rec room is kicking my ass.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Spoiler: Ending 5

This is lengthy but I finished the game today so here are my thoughts:

Spoiler: Wall of Text
So I’ve been reading up on people’s opinions of the game after I finished today. Maybe I’ll change my mind and look at this game differently when I give it time to rest but I think for now I will say that this is my least favorite ZE game, though I had thought it was better than VLR up until the ending

I kind of knew going in that not all our questions would be answered but I was thinking that’d be some minor things or minor-major things, but not HUGE things from VLR like K or ? (? would’ve been an AMAZING tie-in as well since Carlos/Sean/Diana were able to remember stuff from timelines they weren’t a part of)

A lot of parts of this game made me feel like it was victim to rewrites, which is somewhat disappointing. VLR set up this game so well, handed it an amazing story on a platter, and it just kind of feels ok in the end. A big example is Akane being told to wear the FTS robe at a ceremony. Out of all the questions Uchi decided to answer in favor of others, he answers why Akane had that robe at the end of VLR? Really? I feel like he had some bigger answer for it originally (some connection between Brother and Akane) but it was scrapped

I heavily disagree with the people who say that Brother needed to have good/morally ambiguous intentions to be a complex villain. You can have extremely evil villains that are complex and don’t have good intentions (hell, I’d consider Ace one of these). I feel like fleshing out Brother’s backstory with Left would’ve been perfect for this but eh

I did really like a lot of the game and I don’t really agree with the complaints that it was short because it was perfectly paced IMO. I do think the cinematic format hurt this game (even though it contributed to the Q twist at the end, but I’ll get to that later) and that this game would’ve been better in VLR’s more expressive format. This is also the first game in the series where I loved the puzzle rooms

Contrary to others, I also loved the transporter and that was when the game really started to hook me. All I could think about it was how it would tie into the plot and I thought that it did do so very well. I didn’t mind the lack of a proper answer to the Clover/Alice cliffhanger from VLR since I figured this is the answer (don’t see how much it has to do with Schrodinger’s Cat but whatever)

Anyway, here’s an abridged version of what I thought about the characters

I really hated Carlos. I started to like him more once he became a lot more proactive at the end but to date he is the only ZE character whose personality I can’t describe and he’s pretty much the protagonist of the game. I loved the English dub but I hated his and Akane’s voices so that might’ve been a contributing factor. But at least VLR Clover and Alice had personality and flaws. Honestly, as it stands, Carlos might be my least favorite ZE character in the entire series. I’m not sure why but he just really annoyed me and felt like he took up an unnecessary slot in the character roster. The fact that his sister was also an esper also went absolutely nowhere. I really thought there’d be a huge, insidious twist surrounding Carlos but there was nothing...

Akane was alright. Nowhere near as bad as VLR Clover but she should’ve been more cold and I would’ve preferred if she was the one who wanted to kill Q Team instead of Junpei (I understand the game was saying Junpei changed too but still). Ultimately disappointing and I generally liked her voice except in some parts where it got really bad, specifically the BTTF analogy where she started to just sound like a bad Harry Potter audition

Junpei was probably my favorite character in the game overall and maybe the most well-voiced. I don’t think his voice would fit 999 Junpei but it worked for what he was in this game. There were also some parts that I thought were wildly out of character, even keeping in mind that he was supposed to be changed. I liked his puzzle room banter with Akane but I wish the relationship had a much different resolution at the end. I almost feel like he should’ve been swapped with a new character or Santa but I’ll accept it as is because I ended up feeling pretty good about him overall in the game at the end

I thought Q was good. I thought he was Maria for a while which I thought was pretty good misdirection but the twist surrounding his character wasn’t as satisfying as I would’ve liked it to be

I liked Eric a lot. Hell, if he had more plot relevance than I would say he could easily fight it out with the greats of the series. An all around fun character, funny puzzle room partner, with a backstory that rounded him out. He gave a lot of life to the game

I liked Mira a lot too. I agree the end bit with her character was pretty sloppily done and I don’t even consider the epilogue canon but I thought she was funny, had a good voice, and a fun personality

Don’t have much to say about Diana besides that I liked her a lot and she definitely my favorite protag

Sigma was immensely disappointing considering Zero Sr was the character I was most excited for with this game. I didn’t really see Zero Sr in him at all (I was actually really confused when Diana said he sounded weird. How?) and he just felt like his 22 year old self again

I’m sad to say my thoughts on Phi haven’t improved from VLR but have actually dampened. An all around…ok character. I really wanted to see more of her in this game. I think both Q Team and D Team needed a “SHIFT adventure” treatment the same way C Team got one (D Team’s was similar with the transporter but Phi wasn’t involved)

Everybody's elaborated on Delta before but I thought he was a really disappointing villain and I hated how vague he was being about the one terrorist who ended the world. I don’t think it’s sequel-bait but it does seem evidence to me of rewrites because this part of the script felt incredibly underdeveloped. Would’ve rather had his goals be to end impurity in the world and his Decision Game to just be putting humanity under his lens and possibly finding the strongest candidates who could survive

Now, time for the twists. If there was anything ZE always delivered on, it was really crazy twists. Even 999’s sub-mysteries had extremely satisfying answers. Let’s look at ZTD

-Who killed people in some paths? Mira. Does this add much to the story? Debate it if you wish but I’m gonna say no

-Who is Q? A robot to assist Zero, which is pretty much the Luna twist from VLR

-Who is Phi? Diana and Sigma’s daughter. This would be a great twist if not for the fact that it wasn’t so obvious. Every bit of foreshadowing for it felt like the clue was slapping me across the face. I wouldn’t have minded this so much but I really feel like this was one of maybe 3 big twists in the entire game so it’s really disappointing how telegraphed it was

-Why are we all here? To learn the power of teamwork and get the motivation to save the world together….

-Where are we? The single ward location twist was pretty cool but didn’t add much of anything to the story. I feel like with more time this could’ve developed some really cool mysteries too…

-How did the game end in ZTD to lead to VLR and why are the number of survivors inconsistent? I actually thought Mira injecting Phi was very well-done as well as the explanation to how Junpei and Akane survived, especially since I just thought the answer would be “Diana was mistaken.” It was a minor mystery with a satisfying answer sans Junpei being injected with the amnesia drug but whatever. I’ll give it to you, ZTD

-Who is Zero? A 10th participant who the characters somewhat acknowledged subtly but never overtly. This twist honestly feels like stretching it to me because Uchi feels like he needs another grand twist in a ZE game. Unlike the Sigma twist in VLR where I could show someone all the clues for it and have them realize “Oh wow, it’s really obvious that Sigma is an old man”, this twist is a stretch even with the clues. I’m aware of the shadows/mentions of Q that others have pointed out, but I don’t think anybody could reasonably conclude “Hey, there’s a 4th person on Q team who the participants aren’t acknowledging because he lied and said he’s mute and deaf”

I don’t know if this is just me either but I really didn’t care about the “Who is Zero?” mystery in this game. It became obvious very early on based on character reactions to events that Zero was a 10th participant so I didn’t even bother with the guessing game because he’d either be someone from 999 or someone we don’t know. It ends up being someone we don’t know but that the characters had seen the entire time

And on one last unrelated thing, I thought it was extremely weird that they presented the dilemma of killing their alternate selves when SHIFTing at the end. I thought they’d come up with a third option or something but instead they just SHIFT, kill their other selves, look sad, and then get over it

I feel like I missed out

Damn it to hell I really wanted to finish this without having to look online for help

Spoiler: Control Room
Fuck the stupid switchboard puzzle

I spent forever looking back and forth between the glasses and poster to figure out how the wires are supposed to be connected and even after finally looking up a walkthrough I STILL don't understand how you're supposed to figure the puzzle out

Blah!

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Damn it to hell I really wanted to finish this without having to look online for help

Fuck the stupid switchboard puzzle

I spent forever looking back and forth between the glasses and poster to figure out how the wires are supposed to be connected and even after finally looking up a walkthrough I STILL don't understand how you're supposed to figure the puzzle out

You first match the lines in the glasses to the poster, then write down what numbers map to what roman numerals. Then translate that to the switchboard. It also helps if you use the in game notes to draw over the image from the glasses so you can overlay that on the poster without needing to switch back to the glasses constantly.

It did take me a bit to realize that's what was necessary. The dialog hint about the electric shock warning icon was a bit confusing too, because it was pretty obvious that the image in the glasses related to the poster and the switchboard. It made me think that there was something else to that hint, but it doesn't seem like it.

...yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

I forgot the most important rule for these games: never try playing them when it's very late at night and you're exhausted.

I've felt worse.

wat
Spoiler: Transporter Room
Aliens? We're just going to bring aliens into this when it's already the final game in the series?

"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Last edited by tiger_festival on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Page 4 of 8 [ 298 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station