Inside AA6 interview

Read the latest updates to Court-Records.net
Post Reply
Ash
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am
Custom Title: 迷探偵

Inside AA6 interview

Post by Ash »

An interview with AA6 produer Eshiro and director Yamazaki was published today on Inside. Personally, I don't think it's that interesting an interview, so just some bullet points for this one:

- Because it's a series with such a long history, it's hard writing stories and characters that don't overlap with previous titles in the series.
- In general, they first come up with the game mechanics and then the scenario and the characters to show off the mechanics.
- It had been the idea from the start of the project to include Maya. But then they also wanted to include forensics (and Ema) for the fans who wanted forensics back, and they needed the new setting for Phoenix, so they needed the Divination Seances and they also needed Apollo back in Japan.... so somehow AA6 somehow became the game where the whole series basically came together.
- The idea for Rayfa came from the fact they needed a priestress to do the seances. But that alone seemed a bit weak of a background for the heroine of the game, so they made her the princess too. Nayuta was always imagined as a Buddha-like prosecutor, who was overwhelmingly strong and could see through everything. They imagined him as a character who transcended even gender, so the design was made ambigeous.
- About half of the development was new to Ace Attorney. The core members of AA5 remained.
- The second theme of the game is 'succession'. Those being succeeded, and the successors are being represented by Nick and Apollo, who both have their own stories about that.
- Case 4 was something Eshiro wanted to do. It was hard to fit in terms of plot, but they managed it by changing the usual pace by making case 2 consist of one investigation and one trial part. Case 4 is somewhat similar to 3-3, as that it breaks up the main story a bit, but it also helps 'reset' the player between case 3 and 5.
- The DLC case is also (temporarily) free of charge because the series is celebrating its 15th birthday.

Spoiler: Broad AA6 plot points, no specifics
- Some people say Maya is featured too little in the game, though Eshiro replies that they didn't planned to have her appear little in the story: it's just that they had her appear whenever it was natural for her to appear. Yamazaki said it was the idea right from the start that if Maya was to appear in the game, Nick would have to save her. They couldn't just have her appear out of nowhere without any drama.
- The backstory of Apollo, mostly seen in the latter half of the game, was an original idea, but based on what was seen in AA4. It had not been the plan to push Apollo in the spotlight, but there had been a lot that had not been told about him. In general, it was supposed to have been a game about Nick, but he is pretty 'completed' in terms of personal story, so Apollo's story is much more eye-catching in the game.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: Inside AA6 interview

Post by linkenski »

Ugh, the part about Maya dumbfounds me. "You can't just make her appear without drama so Nick has to save her"

What, is Maya incapable of showing a little agency herself? Wouldn't her sense of responsibility as an up and coming Master of Kurain Village be a perfect way to reintroduce her in a new plot? I imagined this could've been a story where Maya had to fight some kind of threat to her clan and has her own goal simultaneously to what Nick is doing in the courtroom but apparently they stuck to what was safe. I haven't played the game past case 1 yet but I'm gonna discuss Maya with someone after I'm done, that's for sure.

Also, why do I always get the feeling it's Eshiro who makes most of the dumb decisions when it comes to story-development? Specifically the part about 6-4 which seems to have universally confused many people as to why it's in the game. It seems he's always in a mode of "it would be cool if x happened" typically based on what character will reappear to satisfy consumers.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Rubia Ryu the Royal
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 6180
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am
Custom Title: Racing through the sky like a Missile
Location: LA, Japanifornia

Re: Inside AA6 interview

Post by Rubia Ryu the Royal »

Ash wrote:- About half of the development was new to Ace Attorney. The core members of AA5 remained.

Interesting. I figured there were some names I didn't recognize (or rather, wasn't sure if I just forgot) on the official blog. Which games have these "new" developers worked on before coming over?

- The DLC case is also (temporarily) free of charge because the series is celebrating its 15th birthday.

I hope they do this again for their 20th anniversary... though, if the games do release every two years or so, they may take a different schedule of events.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: http://forums.court-records.net/viewtop ... 11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
scarlet-flowers
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:06 pm
Custom Title: Beauty and grace.

Re: Inside AA6 interview

Post by scarlet-flowers »

I agree, the whole 'Maya needs to be saved in order to appear' thing is super fucking dumb.

But also, it wasn't the plan to put Apollo in the spotlight? Like........ what more can you even do with Phoenix. I'm glad they changed their minds, but it also worries me about how his story is gonna play out if it wasn't even intended.
Klonoahedgehog
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2022
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am
Custom Title: Gardevoir lover
Location: Puerto rico

Re: Inside AA6 interview

Post by Klonoahedgehog »

On one hand it's dumb that Maya has to be damsel in distress.


But on the other it goes to show that he's learning, maybe they'll be less annoying cameos in future games.
Image
My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: Inside AA6 interview

Post by linkenski »

scarlet-flowers wrote:I agree, the whole 'Maya needs to be saved in order to appear' thing is super fucking dumb.

But also, it wasn't the plan to put Apollo in the spotlight? Like........ what more can you even do with Phoenix. I'm glad they changed their minds, but it also worries me about how his story is gonna play out if it wasn't even intended.

I'm assuming that as always the desire to make more "Phoenix stories" is a demand from higher ups at Capcom even more than it's a wish Yamazaki has. I bet Eshiro wants Phoenix because he seems to care for the commercial aspects more, but I think they might just be modest in this interview. They probably full well knew it was going to end up being more about Apollo (at least Yamazaki) but they had to make it "about" Phoenix because that's just how it is.

I'm glad they recognize that his story is complete though. I think they and the fans are totally on the same page there and I'm glad because imagine if they had written Phoenix into scenarios that keep building and developing on his actual character. It's just not going to be believable so instead I feel like they use him to reflect on things that have happened and they make fun cases he can participate in without making it about him but rather using him as a proxy to develop other characters that are less developed, like Apollo.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Ash
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am
Custom Title: 迷探偵

Re: Inside AA6 interview

Post by Ash »

linkenski wrote:Also, why do I always get the feeling it's Eshiro who makes most of the dumb decisions when it comes to story-development? Specifically the part about 6-4 which seems to have universally confused many people as to why it's in the game. It seems he's always in a mode of "it would be cool if x happened" typically based on what character will reappear to satisfy consumers.


FWIW, I think Eshiro definitely made the most difficult, but in the end best call here for the game. When I talked it over with JapaneseGIRL, we came to the conclusion that 6-4 is in fact the most AA-like case in the whole game: it only feels out of place because the other cases aren't usual business for AA. I think that without 6-4, the scale of the game would have been way too big for an Ace Attorney main title (and much closer to the GK series) and would've moved the game too far away from the other main titles and that's definitey not what I want from the games. AA6 would be too heavy in terms of weight and radically out of tone with the other games without 6-4.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Bolt Storm
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3303
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 pm
Custom Title: 元・超会社員級の管理人
Location: Hiding beneath the judge's desk
Contact:

Re: Inside AA6 interview

Post by Bolt Storm »

Thanks for the translation as always, Ash! I am going to move some of the plot points into a spoiler tag of sorts noting that it discusses the game's plot in broad strokes before I push to the front page, just to be on the safe side.

I probably owe 6-4 a replay, since I marathoned it on stream, which isn't exactly the best way to judge a case overall. I definitely agree that it's the most "typical AA"-ish case of the game (give or take the DLC), so I definitely got the vibe they were going for a cooldown ep, but it still felt strange to play after case 3's ending.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
User avatar
(S)Nickers
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:48 pm
Custom Title: Nick Wright: Ace Attorney
Location: The Defense Bench

Re: Inside AA6 interview

Post by (S)Nickers »

linkenski wrote:
scarlet-flowers wrote:I agree, the whole 'Maya needs to be saved in order to appear' thing is super fucking dumb.

But also, it wasn't the plan to put Apollo in the spotlight? Like........ what more can you even do with Phoenix. I'm glad they changed their minds, but it also worries me about how his story is gonna play out if it wasn't even intended.

I'm assuming that as always the desire to make more "Phoenix stories" is a demand from higher ups at Capcom even more than it's a wish Yamazaki has. I bet Eshiro wants Phoenix because he seems to care for the commercial aspects more, but I think they might just be modest in this interview. They probably full well knew it was going to end up being more about Apollo (at least Yamazaki) but they had to make it "about" Phoenix because that's just how it is.

I'm glad they recognize that his story is complete though. I think they and the fans are totally on the same page there and I'm glad because imagine if they had written Phoenix into scenarios that keep building and developing on his actual character. It's just not going to be believable so instead I feel like they use him to reflect on things that have happened and they make fun cases he can participate in without making it about him but rather using him as a proxy to develop other characters that are less developed, like Apollo.


Word for word, I agree with this COMPLETELY.
Chloe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3478
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 pm
Custom Title: :)
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Inside AA6 interview

Post by Chloe »

Although I don't like Maya being a damsel in distress all the time because I think it will make her less likable. I admit I like how they've developed Apollo's character.
FenrirDarkWolf
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 am
Custom Title: Otter

Re: Inside AA6 interview

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Ash wrote:FWIW, I think Eshiro definitely made the most difficult, but in the end best call here for the game. When I talked it over with JapaneseGIRL, we came to the conclusion that 6-4 is in fact the most AA-like case in the whole game: it only feels out of place because the other cases aren't usual business for AA. I think that without 6-4, the scale of the game would have been way too big for an Ace Attorney main title (and much closer to the GK series) and would've moved the game too far away from the other main titles and that's definitey not what I want from the games. AA6 would be too heavy in terms of weight and radically out of tone with the other games without 6-4.


In all honesty, I feel like 6-4 is my favourite case in the game. Reasons being I just love a good typical murder mystery plot with silly characters.
I do agree that they always go with something really big for the main plot (like they did in DD) and I agree that at least one case needs to be there to bring things down (for me personally 5-2 was that one in DD).

I'm really glad they developed Apollo now. He was very much in the background for DD and the time lapse between AJ and DD. It's nice to see his backstory brought to light.

Although that makes me wonder what they should do next. Considering Phoenix can't really grow anymore, and Athena got her backstory in the previous game. Although they could use Athena to show more of her growth as a lawyer, and I wouldn't mind at all because I love playing as Athena. By the by, I also feel like 6-4 was just so they could give time to Athena and Blackquill and show them living on after DD.
View my Sprite thread!
Image
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Post Reply