Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 2[ 55 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Happy 15th anniversary, Ace Attorney!Topic%20Title

迷探偵

It's past midnight now in Japan, so October 12th, and that means that it's exactly fifteen years ago that the original Game Boy Advance version of Ace Attorney was released!

The official AA 15th anniversary site has updated with celebratory notes from Japanese mystery writers and people connected to the series, as well as an overview of the series history thus far.

(Staff note: sorry for hijacking your post, Ash!)
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Happy 15th anniversary, Ace Attorney!Topic%20Title

Happy Birthday Ace Attorney your as old as me. (For 2 more months that is.) this series is probably my favorite series of video games ever after Pokémon. (Also why this forum is my main forum.) This game series has actually made me want to be a Prosecutor. Now your wondering why I don't want to be a defense attorney? It's because I don't want to mess up horribly and get a innocent person guilty. That way if I'm a Prosecutor I won't have to take the blame. Anyway this series is one of the best I'v seen and I hope Phoenix Wright lasts for the next 15 years. But for now we'll just have to wait and see.

Gettin' Old!

The Mechanic wrote:
Happy Birthday Ace Attorney your as old as me. (For 2 more months that is.) this series is probably my favorite series of video games ever after Pokémon. (Also why this forum is my main forum.) This game series has actually made me want to be a Prosecutor. Now your wondering why I don't want to be a defense attorney? It's because I don't want to mess up horribly and get a innocent person guilty. That way if I'm a Prosecutor I won't have to take the blame. Anyway this series is one of the best I'v seen and I hope Phoenix Wright lasts for the next 15 years. But for now we'll just have to wait and see.

Pfft an Prosecutors DON'T send innocent people to jail? XD

Good luck with the goal though, it'll be a lot of work.

And congratulations to Ace Attorney, I wonder if Capcom are doing anything for it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
The Mechanic wrote:

Pfft an Prosecutors DON'T send innocent people to jail? XD

Good luck with the goal though, it'll be a lot of work.

And congratulations to Ace Attorney, I wonder if Capcom are doing anything for it.

No what I meant is If the defense attorney messes up its not my fault so he/she gets the blame not me. I'm just afraid If I'm a defense attorney I'll mess up horribly.

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Just another reminder that I'm getting old. Happy 15th, Ace Attorney!
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

The video game boy; the one who wins

:b33r: Long live Ace Attorney.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

The cape is self-fluttering

Congrats to the crazy game that started it all! :toupee:
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Ready for action!

Congratulations to Ace Attorney! I may have entered the fandom late, but it's given me heaps of new ideas for writing opportunities! Hope it continues for another 15 years, bring on AA7!

Happy Maria

Edgeworth was so happy on this monumental occasion that he wrote:
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

I'm about as glad as good old Edgey over here. :edgey:

元・超会社員級の管理人

Fifteen years. Geez louise.

There are teenagers out there writing Ace Attorney fanfiction who weren't even born when it came out.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

A New Chapter of Trials!

Happy 15th! I hope for many more years to come!
Eureka!

Athena Internet Defense Force

What is this, no room for Athena?

A Kirby and AA fan

Gyakuten$aiban wrote:
*snip*

Well, they're the protagonists of the games. As far as I am aware, Athena has never been a protagonist, so it would actually be weird to have her on there... :yogi:

Gettin' Old!

Gyakuten$aiban wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA oh that's pretty rich XD Especially considering they put Ryuu in there over her.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

A Kirby and AA fan

Pierre wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA oh that's pretty rich XD Especially considering they put Ryuu in there over her.

I'll repeat what I said then. They're the protagonists of the games. Not sure why Athena is expected here...

Gettin' Old!

Nurio wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I'll repeat what I said then. They're the protagonists of the games. Not sure why Athena is expected here...

Hold up now. Are you saying Athena isn't a protagonist? I'd most certainly define her as a protagonist.

Hell I'd argue at length she was basically the main protagonist of Dual Destinies seeing how it was mostly about her. She might not have her name up the front but that's becoming an increasing sham considering they stuck "Phoenix Wright" on AA6 despite it clearly being an "Apollo Justice" story.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

A Kirby and AA fan

Pierre wrote:
Hold up now. Are you saying Athena isn't a protagonist? I'd most certainly define her as a protagonist.

Hell I'd argue at length she was basically the main protagonist of Dual Destinies seeing how it was mostly about her. She might not have her name up the front but that's becoming an increasing sham considering they stuck "Phoenix Wright" on AA6 despite it clearly being an "Apollo Justice" story.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Just because the story is about someone, doesn't make them the protagonist. By that logic, that would make Phoenix far from the protagonist in the original trilogy, since it's hardly about him, aside from the classroom trial. It was more about the Fey family, the Edgeworths and Von Karma.
In games, it's typically whom you control and from whose perspective you see the story. If you control more than one person, it's usually the one you control the most. (Else Maya would've been a protagonist for the tiny bit in 2-4.) Athena had 1 case in DD, and couldn't even finish the other. In SoJ, she had 1 case as well, and it was short. In SoJ, I would say it's a split between Phoenix and Apollo, leaning more towards Apollo, kind of making for a joint protagonist role.
I honestly didn't even think this was up for dispute. I was fairly sure that people would've unanimously agreed on what makes the protagonist of the game... :ron:

is a five star man.

Jesus... 15 years. Congrats Ace Attorney - here's to 15 more!!!

Seriously though, I can't express how glad I am that a series this niche in the West (and still not huge in Japan), has managed to survive this long, and inspire others in its path. Good going Takumi and pals!
Visit http://toatalireviews.com for all your TV and video game review needs.

Gettin' Old!

Nurio wrote:
Pierre wrote:

That's exactly what I'm saying. Just because the story is about someone, doesn't make them the protagonist. By that logic, that would make Phoenix far from the protagonist in the original trilogy, since it's hardly about him, aside from the classroom trial. It was more about the Fey family, the Edgeworths and Von Karma.
In games, it's typically whom you control and from whose perspective you see the story. If you control more than one person, it's usually the one you control the most. (Else Maya would've been a protagonist for the tiny bit in 2-4.) Athena had 1 case in DD, and couldn't even finish the other. In SoJ, she had 1 case as well, and it was short. In SoJ, I would say it's a split between Phoenix and Apollo, leaning more towards Apollo, kind of making for a joint protagonist role.
I honestly didn't even think this was up for dispute. I was fairly sure that people would've unanimously agreed on what makes the protagonist of the game... :ron:

Well you THOUGHT WRONG MON AMI! :jake:

Let's bust open a google search and prepare for learning! :scientific:

First definition after a google search: "the leading character or one of the major characters in a play, film, novel, etc."
I'm not saying Nick, Apollo, Edgeworth and Ryuu are NOT protagonists but I subscribe to a view where there can be more than one protagonist in a story. A series of protagonists even. By that definition, Athena definitely counts on the grounds that she is playable and is ultimately the leading character in one of her games. I ain't going to say that Nick isn't a protagonist or that you are wrong when you say we play him the most but I don't think the title of "protagonist" is limited to just the viewpoint through which the player experiences a story.

Protagonist to me typically is used to make up "the good guys," the team of heroes who lead the story and drive the events forward (hence pro for progressive...or something). If we were to go by Dual Destinies standard I'd even include Blackquill and Edgeworth towards the end of that game once they fully flip onto "the good guys team" and start working towards the same goal. Though those two are on shakier grounds considering they only arrive at the end so not everyone would define them as that.

However with regards to Athena who is both playable, central to the plot and allied with the other protagonists for the entire game I'd definitely class her as a protagonist.

She just doesn't have her own name on the box yet.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Athena Internet Defense Force

Yeah, well...Apollo's game gave him questionable credibility as a protagonist and it took two games and almost 10 years to repair that damage.

Gettin' Old!

Gyakuten$aiban wrote:
Yeah, well...Apollo's game gave him questionable credibility as a protagonist and it took two games and almost 10 years to repair that damage.

Ugh but man they repaired it well!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

A Kirby and AA fan

Pierre wrote:
First definition after a google search: "the leading character or one of the major characters in a play, film, novel, etc."
I'm not saying Nick, Apollo, Edgeworth and Ryuu are NOT protagonists but I subscribe to a view where there can be more than one protagonist in a story. A series of protagonists even. By that definition, Athena definitely counts on the grounds that she is playable and is ultimately the leading character in one of her games. I ain't going to say that Nick isn't a protagonist or that you are wrong when you say we play him the most but I don't think the title of "protagonist" is limited to just the viewpoint through which the player experiences a story.

I actually would argue Athena isn't a leading character in any of the games. She's mostly supporting, having only a relatively small chunk of playable time, and when she is playable, it's mostly filler. But at this point we're arguing semantics here. It doesn't matter what you call it. What Capcom did with that banner is obvious.
They showed all characters who had the biggest playing roles in all the games:
AA1,2,3: Phoenix
AA4: Apollo
AA5: Phoenix
AA6: Apollo (and kinda Phoenix)
GK1,2: Edgeworth
DGS: Ryuunosuke (if I remember the name correctly)
We can call them protagonists, main play men, the big good guys, the banana sundaes, or the top dogs. Doesn't change that it's clear what Capcom was going for.

Gettin' Old!

Nurio wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I actually would argue Athena isn't a leading character in any of the games. She's mostly supporting, having only a relatively small chunk of playable time, and when she is playable, it's mostly filler. But at this point we're arguing semantics here. It doesn't matter what you call it. What Capcom did with that banner is obvious.
They showed all characters who had the biggest playing roles in all the games:
AA1,2,3: Phoenix
AA4: Apollo
AA5: Phoenix
AA6: Apollo (and kinda Phoenix)
GK1,2: Edgeworth
DGS: Ryuunosuke (if I remember the name correctly)
We can call them protagonists, main play men, the big good guys, the banana sundaes, or the top dogs. Doesn't change that it's clear what Capcom was going for.

Sure it's clear what they were going for although I would disagree with you that Athena isn't a leading character....especially in 5. I would argue that in her original game she was definitely a leading character and for that reason I feel if Capcom ever wants her to be seen in an equal light with Apollo and Phoenix....then they messed up by not putting her on the banner.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I consider Athena a protagonist, but not a main protagonist. The only time I might consider the latter is case 5-3 and 6-4 as she is in full throttle of those titles. I see her more in a sidekick role. She could potentially break out into her own in future games, but as far as I'm concerned, the games she's in, she's clearly outclassed by Phoenix and Apollo and comes across as more of a sidekick as of now.

But honestly, I can look at it from another perspective too with the 4 characters represented. Each of them at least has had one title solely dedicated to them (though in Apollo's case it's questionable, the game STILL has his name in the title), whereas Athena hasn't had a game solely dedicated to her. I feel if going by that reason, it'd make more sense.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Thanks, Capcom. Thanks for this entire franchise and for uniting me with my inner geek and an awesome fan community.

Also, thanks, Capcom. Thanks for ruining my day by reminding me how old we all are. I didn't even get into this fandom during its later years, and I'm so entrenched, my inner geek has become my very being.

...Thanksgiving came early this year. I would say something about how much the above picture looks like a family photo, but I think I'd rather just tell them to screw themselves.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Gettin' Old!

Just looked at that overview.

Looking at 2015 10.31

How the hell did they slip a second live action movie past me?!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

That's the 2nd run of the GS2 stage play adaptation.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

*rip*

Gettin' Old!

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
That's the 2nd run of the GS2 stage play adaptation.

Ugh damn, thought it looked like the movie.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

元・超会社員級の管理人

So, uh, here's my story: ten and a half years ago I was on a little message board for a fangame spinoff of Advance Wars. Someone - I can't even remember who - was sporting an avatar of profiles taken straight from C-R, and somehow or other I managed to track down this website.

Wasn't long before I learned there was a fan translation of the first case of the third game, so I decided to give that a spin. I don't entirely know what I was expecting, but it blew said unknown expectations away. Knocking out contradictions and putting the screws to "Dolores" (Dahlia) was absolutely bonkers, backed up by a killer soundtrack and some beautifully absurd animations.

Needless to say I took the plunge on AA1 soon afterwards, and found my way here. The rest, I guess, is history.

How'd the rest've y'all get into AA, anyway?
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

That one super-uncooperative witness

I take a weird amount of satisfaction at the fact that the anniversary banner has three of its four pictures by Nuri. (He's my favorite of the AA artists, did I make it obvious)

[EDIT] OH SHIT, that Apollo art isn't Nuri. Goddammit, it's always that one that trips me up, it looks uncannily like his style...

Bolt Storm wrote:

In my...first? year of high school (2008 or 2009), when everyone was sitting around during lunch periods on their DSes, I watched a friend playing JFA, yelling Objection! into the mic and presenting evidence in court sessions as usual. It sounded really fun and awesome and she told me that this was the kind of series where there's a prosecutor carrying a whip around and everyone is very dramatic. (She also showed me the iconic Boot to the Head video; I'd known the meme but didn't know the phrase's context before then.)

A day later she was still playing it and got to the Matt Engarde reveal.

I was sold. Over finals week and the following summer I immediately marathoned all the games existing at the time.

Last edited by Aster Selene on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Objection!... What else can I say?

Bolt Storm wrote:

Believe it or not, I learned about Ace Attorney from "Brentalfloss", ya know, the guy who makes and sings lyrics to a video game. Anyway, I watched his " If Phoenix Wright had lyrics" video when it uploaded and I got interested. Next day, I searched for gameplay on Youtube and found ZSlyzer's Dual Destinies series.
So I decided to start off the series by.. watching.. the latest installment (at the time).. and finish watching it. I didn't know any better by starting off with Dual Destinies but honestly it didn't ruin the experience in going back to Ace Attorney 1 and onward!

And that's how I got into the fandom and interest a lot of my time for Ace Attorney! May it continue more years onward in a good path! :phoenix:

I'm fine and ready for justice!

I got into Ace Attorney after playing the crossover. I was reluctant to do so, because my younger self thought "Phoenix and Layton look so scary in the pictures I saw." Phoenix's segments were honestly my favorite in that game, chased closely by Layton's. So, I decided to try out the HD Trilogy. After loving that, I moved onto Dual Destinies, as I didn't know Apollo Justice and Investigations existed. After Dual Destinies and I finally found the games in between, I played them in the order I listed above. Then SoJ came along and I'm on the correct path forward in terms of the timeline. But if you want to know how I came along Ace Attorney in the first place, without knowing it was even Ace Attorney, I was just browsing Youtube, catching up on the Watch_dogs news when I clicked on a video by accident. It was a video of two people talking, one of them in first person, around a pool. The other person was very yellow. She stood on a platform at one point and suddenly, an orca jumped out of it and hit a beach ball at her. I had no idea I had watched Turnabout Reclaimed until about a year or two later. And there you have it, my Ace Attorney journey.
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

I'm fine and ready for justice!

I did not mean to double post that. :sahwit: Is there any way to get rid of that or is this thread stuck with it now? :larry:
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

I knew about the series for awhile but I thought it was boring. Had $30 on the eshop didn't know what to get. A friend recommend the Pheonix Wright Trilogy. Been hooked ever sense then. I played and finished every game in the series other than professor layton vs phoenix wright that's been released. Probably my 2nd favorite video game series! :phoenix:

Prosecutor

Despite good and bad moments in Ace Attorney, i'm glad to know this series.
I played Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney in 2008. Just some weeks earlier i saw in a forum someone who used the famous site "objection dictionary", which you could say something using some of the main characters in Ace Attorney, like Apollo, Phoenix, Mia and so on.
The first thing i noticed was probably Phoenix's pursuit. It was so catchy, i loved it, it was too memorable.
The next thing was Apollo's design. I think i loved how they designed him, and so was Hobo Phoenix.
After Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, i played the other games in this sequence:
Trials and Tribulations,
Ace Attorney,
Justice for All,
Investigations,
Prosecutor's Path,
Dual Destinies,
Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney
and now Spirit of Justice.
So basically i played all the games, except for Dai Gyakuten Saiban (still waiting for the release. I won't spoil myself until they will bring this game here).
I have to say, Ace Attorney helped me with my english. When i discovered Ace Attorney Investigations was only in english, i was particularly sad because i love when i play in italian, my first language.
Anyways, i grabbed a dictionary, a document with all the cases translated in my language, and then i've started playing the game. It was hard at the beginning, but now i can say i'm able to read (at least) most of the games in english in way to understand around the 95% of the content.

Also i always wanted to give a some kind of contribute to Ace Attorney, so i'm doing a sorta of game based on Ace Attorney Universe.
I hope to end the first case soon, it's going really well.

I would like to thank Court-Records for all the news from Ace Attorney and your support.

The cape is self-fluttering

Bolt Storm wrote:

About nine years ago, I had some friends who wouldn't shut the hell up about gay lawyers, so I knew I had to check it out.

These days I'm the only one actually keeping up with the series. Go figure. :pft:
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

I don't know what I find more hard to believe: that it's been 15 years since this series began, or that it's been 6 years since I started playing!

I randomly decided to start playing this to see what all the fuss was about in 2010. I noticed the games were on the Wii shop so I decided, "why not?" I bought the wrong game first, though. I started the series playing T&T first, which is the major reason why Mia's my favourite character. I've played the games in this order: T&T>AAI>PW:AA>JFA>AJ:AA>DD>SOJ. I bought Investigations as soon as I could after finishing T&T, then I downloaded PW:AA and JFA at the same time on the Wii shop. I finished all of them by 2011, I bought and played Apollo Justice in the summer of that year!
"Having a place to go — is a home. Having someone to love — is a family. Having both — is a blessing."

In my high school choir class back in Fall 2005, we had down time, so we were allowed to play games if we had brought any. A girl that I knew had brought her DS and was playing the first Phoenix Wright game (well, the only one at the time). I remember she was playing the second case during the investigation. I asked her what it was about and she let me watch her for a bit as she explained what it was about and what she was doing. Needless to say, I got pretty drawn and soon after went to the mall, bought me a copy of the game, and it was history after that. Not long after, I found Court Records as I somehow stumbled on a manga translation project.

So weird to believe I've known about the series for 11 years now and how it's gone from being a new IP with a VERY niche fan base to a widely more know established series that it is today. And I'm happy that after playing Spirit of Justice, I still have the same excitement for every new case that I did when I played the first game. I also still have my dinky little pre-order bonuses from Gamestop from way back in the day, with the Apollo Justice keychain piece still being my favorite.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

A Kirby and AA fan

I remember this pretty well, despite my crappy memory.

I had to look up the date, but it was apparently mid January of 2008. The flash demo of Apollo Justice just came out and I never heard of it before. (Now that's something you don't really see anymore. Flash demos!)
Curious about this, I checked it out, not knowing what to expect. So, when I started up the demo, I was some guy who had Chords of Steel and yelled I'm fine! And apparently this Phoenix Wright dude got accused for murder and that's terrible because he'd never do that! Not him!
...I had no idea what was going on. Phoenix Wright...? Who? Chords of Steel...? What?

But the writing was really good. It was clever and funny and it definitely intrigued me. Who is this Phoenix Wright, and why is this accusation so grave?
I remember the writing catching me off guard with its cleverness, and when I presented that first piece of evidence, I felt this immense satisfaction.

Needless to say, I was very interested in this, so I went to research it and saw that there was a trilogy of Phoenix Wright games, with the first two being available and the third one coming.
It goes without saying that I jumped on it and was hooked after playing the first case.

After playing the first game, I probably was looking for a discussion forum and came upon this place. But that last bit is just speculation. I have no recollection of how I found this place.
Page 1 of 2 [ 55 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes