Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 3 of 4[ 155 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: Is Nayuta is worst rival prosecutor of the series?*spoilTopic%20Title

Happy Maria

linkenski wrote:
Then he takes the blame for the murder of Metis and starts sporting teared eye-liner to show how sad his time has been in jail, and he finds his pet bird in jail and then he starts prosecuting despite of being in jail because Edgeworth needed to draw out the real murderer behind the incident, (and willingly lets a prosecutor who's convicted for murder represent the law for a time while the audiences distrust the system; he willingly supports the mantra "The end justifies the means" the game is trying to tell us is wrong for... like that was the entire point of case 5-3 :edgey: .).

It's funny,because the game where Nick becomes more self aware in bluffing is the same game where they force over you the ideology that the ends never justify the means.

Huh? :meekins:

Just one word: BORING. When I was playing the game, I just wished I could skip half of his dialogues. He has no personality. He is basically like a point in blank. And I don't like it when people compare him to Edgeworth. Both are "gentleman-ly", but that's it. Edgeworth has more presence and impact as a character.

Let it go, and move on

I wouldn't say he's the worst one but he's certainly far from the top. He kind of rambles way too much, reminds me of Godot a lot except I actually like Nahyuta more than him. He can be amusing at times, especially in case 4, when he's a massive rakugo nerd, but otherwise he's kind of meh. Still, I can help but laugh every time he says 'Let it go and move on'. I don't know why, it's just too hilarious.

I've felt worse.

dangerousoffender wrote:
And I don't like it when people compare him to Edgeworth. Both are "gentleman-ly", but that's it. Edgeworth has more presence and impact as a character.

I think people are referring to how Nahyuta goes through the exact same motions Edgeworth did in the first game.
"I'm always right."
"You've changed, [Prosecutor]."
"He wasn't always like this. He used to seek justice, not guilty verdicts."
Then the big bad becomes the prosecutor.
"[Prosecutor] says he killed the victim. Let's extend the trial to find him guilty."
"Actually it was [big bad]."
The only thing that's missing is the part where you're supposed to like him.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

This makes my shit boil xD
Godot does not ramble but I agree Nahyuta does. Godot makes a satire of his own design. He's this "ooh so mysterious prosecutor that came from hell" and he drinks coffee due to an important part of his theme. Everything about him is pretentious by design maybe to spot fun at how every prosecutor has to be more than the previous one, or maybe just Takumi fooling around and making fun of Hideki Kamiya, but Godot's "rambling" consists of making a joke. You build up expectations and subvert it with an unexpexted punchline. He keeps talking about things that start out something like "the nature of man" and then subverts it by referring to his coffee making his monologue escalate, but that's actually funny! It's like the game is saying "look how smart and profound this is trying so hard to be"

I just love that. I don't love Nahyuta as much because he has no punchlines. He actually rambles about his own nerdy lore that nobody cares about and it was the same thing with Courtney in AAI2. it's airheaded nonsense which fits his themes, but it's still air headed nonsense with no spark in the eye or grin of the teeth.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

There's only one thing that Nahyuta didn't had and Edgeworth did. Time for character development. Nahyuta only had his true self revealed at the last part of the final trial. Edgeworth had a whole case. I think that was a failure on the part of the SoJ team because, while I loved case 4, I can also accept there was no reason for it to exist, or better put, there was no reason for Nahyuta to be the prosecutor. It helped his character arc? Yes, in more ways people acknowledge, but I would've much prefered if that case was like a flashback where we could see him as a younger person, or maybe one where he's just a supporting character and not the prosecutor. One of the worst mistakes regarding him is that every single other part of his personality is only described happening off-panel. Big mistake.

Nevertheless, right now, Nahyuta IS exactly at the point where Edgeworth was at the end of 1-4. Maybe less likable since his good side had less than an hour of development but he's there with a huge window to grow. Needless to say is completely unfair to compare him to current Edgeworth yet, or even 1-5/2-4 Edgeworth.
Satorha imao mando mo samashi detashi nu ketare gasayo sonoka!

linkenski wrote:
This makes my shit boil xD
Godot does not ramble but I agree Nahyuta does. Godot makes a satire of his own design. He's this "ooh so mysterious prosecutor that came from hell" and he drinks coffee due to an important part of his theme. Everything about him is pretentious by design maybe to spot fun at how every prosecutor has to be more than the previous one, or maybe just Takumi fooling around and making fun of Hideki Kamiya, but Godot's "rambling" consists of making a joke. You build up expectations and subvert it with an unexpexted punchline. He keeps talking about things that start out something like "the nature of man" and then subverts it by referring to his coffee making his monologue escalate, but that's actually funny! It's like the game is saying "look how smart and profound this is trying so hard to be"

I just love that. I don't love Nahyuta as much because he has no punchlines. He actually rambles about his own nerdy lore that nobody cares about and it was the same thing with Courtney in AAI2. it's airheaded nonsense which fits his themes, but it's still air headed nonsense with no spark in the eye or grin of the teeth.

I think Nayuta's punchlines are the things like "you'll be sent to the hell of tickling" and the like

Happy Maria

Except they aren't funny. Are they intended to be funny? I'm not really sure,since he's written like that.

The video game boy; the one who wins

I'm rather sure the threat of "being tickled for 500 million years" and the likes of it are meant as jokes... and I found it funny. Jokes from the writers, that is. Not from Nahyuta. He seems to be taking it and himself rather seriously, but I feel that him as a character isn't always meant to be taken seriously by the players.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Enoshima Junko-chan!

And then the game expects you to take him seriously in the last case.

The closest thing Nahyuta has to a redeeming moment is that he still has his dragon tattoo. I think it would have been better if he was working undercover and revealed something that could help. Similar to how Blackquill shed light on the Phantom once Phoenix proved both his and Athena's innocence.

Like what was said before, Nahyuta is in the same position that Edgeworth was in after the first game. If he appears in another game, he had better develop further, not be used for fanservice like Klavier in Dual Destinies. It would waste his potential.

Personally, I think Rayfa is the rival in this game.

@GoingForMiles

Exactly. The "joke" is that Nayuta takes himself so seriously but the things he says are so ridiculous. From calling the defense an "evil bell pepper" to threatening to send them to a hell where they get tickled for thousands of years, to him calmly explaining the ridiculous rakugo story

Nayuta actually does get a lot of funny moments but it just doesn't add up to anything super-memorable in the end. So while I do think people don't give him enough credit, I don't necessarily blame them

Though a lot of people say that Nayuta "reading the outcome of trials" is completely dropped after Case 2, which is false. That's exactly what he does at the end of the first trial day of Case 3. The game even emphasized with multiple unnecessary flashbacks and it's the only time in the game where he reads the outcome. I don't know why everybody has a selective memory when it comes to that

Mbr: Well... I took Godot seriously in case 3-5 despite the ridicilous coffee-metaphors, coffee-tantrums and overall tomfoolery he'd done before.

Jesusmonroe: And "what's crack-a-lackin', homie" :D

This game actually has two rivals in a way (Rayfa and Nayuta), just like GK2. Looking at it that way, my problems with Nayuta don't feel as big. Rayfa's a really great character and probably my favorite in the game so if I look at Nayuta like a bonus rival, then he's really not bad

Still haven't finished the game yet though :p

Wotter boy

JesusMonroe wrote:
This game actually has two rivals in a way (Rayfa and Nayuta), just like GK2. Looking at it that way, my problems with Nayuta don't feel as big.

I agree in a way, that both Rayfa and Nahyuta are rivals in a sense, and that Nahyuta def. takes back stage to her.
Case-in-point:
She's the focus for (sorta) both the non-canon DLCs, while Nahyuta isn't even mentioned.

Happy Maria

Yeah,I prefer to think do too,since Rayfa is way cuter :}

Addressing the thread title

Spoiler: Case 5
No, Phoenix is

A Kirby and AA fan

JesusMonroe wrote:
No, Phoenix is

Spoiler: 6-5
He isn't and has never been a prosecutor, though. Not even in that case

Nurio wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:
No, Phoenix is

He isn't and has never been a prosecutor, though. Not even in that case

Q: Is Nayuta is worst rival ~~prosecutor~~ of the series?
A: No, Phoenix is

Better?

Idol of Polar Bears

MBr wrote:
And then the game expects you to take him seriously in the last case.

The closest thing Nahyuta has to a redeeming moment is that he still has his dragon tattoo. I think it would have been better if he was working undercover and revealed something that could help. Similar to how Blackquill shed light on the Phantom once Phoenix proved both his and Athena's innocence.

Like what was said before, Nahyuta is in the same position that Edgeworth was in after the first game. If he appears in another game, he had better develop further, not be used for fanservice like Klavier in Dual Destinies. It would waste his potential.

Personally, I think Rayfa is the rival in this game.

The Prosecutor with the Dragon Tattoo

Overruled?

Is Nahyuta the worst prosecutor?

No, cause he's not Klavie- *beaten to death with bricks*

But seriously, I do find Nahyuta the second worst overall. While I generally prefer prosecutors who are cruel and arrogant, because it makes it all the sweeter to take them down, Nahyuta just seemed to take it way too far. I know the circumstances of why, but it doesn't really make it any less obnoxious. His constant use "putrid" and "let it go and move on" lines could get grating after a while.

I was kind of expecting his "let it go*" line to eventually be related to something a little more personal, like maybe it was more him telling himself to let go of the guilt he felt for condemning defense attorneys to death, but all it amounted to was telling the defense to give up and accept the death penalty.

I also found it a little contrived he actually goes from country to country to prosecute cases, just as an explanation for why he took 6-2 and 6-4.

Speaking of condemning attorneys, I would had figured he'd express some kind of personal guilt or trauma from the amount of people who died under the DC Act, especially considered he wasn't doing it by choice, but the whole thing gets glossed over.

On the plus side, his culture-shock moments were some of the funniest moments in the game, like his "What's crack-a-lackin' homie" and his western burger suggestion, saying it all with a completely straight face. I also loved his 'damage' animation, after all he puts you through it's pretty satisfying.

In short, he had a terrible character arc in which he changed far too quickly and got resolved too cleanly and his put-downs were too nasty and overused.

*And I know someone's going to point that line out, so I thought I'd save the trouble and just post this.

Spoiler:

Gettin' Old!

DarkWobbuffet wrote:
Is Nahyuta the worst prosecutor?

No, cause he's not Klavie- *beaten to death with bricks*

But seriously, I do find Nahyuta the second worst overall. While I generally prefer prosecutors who are cruel and arrogant, because it makes it all the sweeter to take them down, Nahyuta just seemed to take it way too far. I know the circumstances of why, but it doesn't really make it any less obnoxious. His constant use "putrid" and "let it go and move on" lines could get grating after a while.

I was kind of expecting his "let it go*" line to eventually be related to something a little more personal, like maybe it was more him telling himself to let go of the guilt he felt for condemning defense attorneys to death, but all it amounted to was telling the defense to give up and accept the death penalty.

I also found it a little contrived he actually goes from country to country to prosecute cases, just as an explanation for why he took 6-2 and 6-4.

Speaking of condemning attorneys, I would had figured he'd express some kind of personal guilt or trauma from the amount of people who died under the DC Act, especially considered he wasn't doing it by choice, but the whole thing gets glossed over.

On the plus side, his culture-shock moments were some of the funniest moments in the game, like his "What's crack-a-lackin' homie" and his western burger suggestion, saying it all with a completely straight face. I also loved his 'damage' animation, after all he puts you through it's pretty satisfying.

In short, he had a terrible character arc in which he changed far too quickly and got resolved too cleanly and his put-downs were too nasty and overused.

*And I know someone's going to point that line out, so I thought I'd save the trouble and just post this.

Spoiler:

Great picture but honestly "Let it go and move on" WAS meaningful to him.
Towards the end of the game it becomes clear he is the "resignation" prosecutor. He gave up on his goal and gave into the oppression "let it go and move on" is his advice because it was the only way he could cope with the situation he was put in. By letting go of all his beliefs and the people important to him and just accepting his fate.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Surf's Up!

Yeah, I felt that Nayuta is the worst rival prosecutor so far. There is not a single thing that I liked about him, to be honest. I can understand him being extremely rude to the defence in Khura'in, (where Gar'an is no doubt having him watched), but not in the US (where I presume that Gar'an has no reach).

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Spoiler:
Yeah, I was thinking that he could have had different behaviours in Khura'in versus the US. I think if either Nahyuta was the prosecutor in the first half of case 5, or if Apollo faced off against him in case 4, there could be an interaction between the two that subtly revealed his connection to Apollo or his situation. He would take a chance to confide with Apollo since he was away from Ga'ran.

There's the moment where he recognizes Athena as a worthy adversary in case 4, but that doesn't mean much since there's no connection between them at all. What if Apollo was playable in case 4 and Nahyuta said this to him? That case could be used to build a trust relationship between them like how Phoenix and Edgeworth went through.

And then Ga'ran finds out about this and holds it over Nahyuta's head. I'd rather that than him being threatened with Rayfa's life.

Gettin' Old!

Spoiler: The GAME
A lot of people here seem to be of the belief that...given the chance...Nahyuta should be free of Garan's reign and explain EXACTLY what the situation is to Apollo. This doesn't sit right by my understanding of his character however.

He is the RESIGNATION Prosecutor. He has resigned himself to his fate. The above scenario requires that Nahyuta held a little bit of hope left in his heart. That there was some glimmer of resistance left. This doesn't fit with his moniker however. Nahyuta wouldn't confide in Apollo because there was no point. In order to cope with his situation he had given up entirely and accepted that what he was doing was for the best. It's called "learned helplessness" and it's a condition present in many domestic abuse cases. It's not a matter of "Oh Garan's not looking, now's my chance!" it's simply the case that he's been under her thumb for so long that he dare not fight back, even when it would appear without consequence. He has introjected the values of the Khura'in legal system because he had to. He comes across as so sincere because he has full belief in what he says, there's no "Oh if only things could be better."

Until he's fixed up in the finale he's a bad-guy through and through.

The only way he could have less hope is if he'd grafted the tattoo off of his hand. Still considering his attitude and Garan's she might have insisted he keep it as a mark of shame and to remind him where he came from since he bears the sins of his father.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

^Good point, and keeping that in mind makes his character not only make more sense but also way more interesting.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

^^ Didn't think of it that way.

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

Pierre wrote:
A lot of people here seem to be of the belief that...given the chance...Nahyuta should be free of Garan's reign and explain EXACTLY what the situation is to Apollo. This doesn't sit right by my understanding of his character however.

He is the RESIGNATION Prosecutor. He has resigned himself to his fate. The above scenario requires that Nahyuta held a little bit of hope left in his heart. That there was some glimmer of resistance left. This doesn't fit with his moniker however. Nahyuta wouldn't confide in Apollo because there was no point. In order to cope with his situation he had given up entirely and accepted that what he was doing was for the best. It's called "learned helplessness" and it's a condition present in many domestic abuse cases. It's not a matter of "Oh Garan's not looking, now's my chance!" it's simply the case that he's been under her thumb for so long that he dare not fight back, even when it would appear without consequence. He has introjected the values of the Khura'in legal system because he had to. He comes across as so sincere because he has full belief in what he says, there's no "Oh if only things could be better."

The only way he could have less hope is if he'd grafted the tattoo off of his hand. Still considering his attitude and Garan's she might have insisted he keep it as a mark of shame and to remind him where he came from since he bears the sins of his father.

Spoiler: Teh Gaem
The problem I have with this is that it simply pushes the issue back to an earlier date. At some point, Nahyuta had to have been coerced by Gar'an to serve as an instrument of mass incarceration/execution with no real motivation besides a single person that he's never really known. In other words, at an earlier point before he became resigned to his fate, he was letting himself be used to convict and execute hundreds of innocent people simply to protect a single person. That's the biggest issue with Nahyuta's character motivation, and while it does explain why he would simply brush off Apollo, this seems like a solution that plugs the leak in the dam and misses the gaping hole entirely.

Secondly, though, he seems to attempt to help out Phoenix in Case 3. If memory serves, he gives Ema permission to talk with Phoenix about the case, and sends her to give him permission to investigate. It's not a lot, but it certainly seems like an action that Gar'an wouldn't approve of if she found out. He appears to have, at the very least, some desire to fight back, but the game is very inconsistent with when that desire surfaces.

"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

I've felt worse.

TheBlarghMan wrote:
Secondly, though, he seems to attempt to help out Phoenix in Case 3. If memory serves, he gives Ema permission to talk with Phoenix about the case, and sends her to give him permission to investigate. It's not a lot, but it certainly seems like an action that Gar'an wouldn't approve of if she found out. He appears to have, at the very least, some desire to fight back, but the game is very inconsistent with when that desire surfaces.

Spoiler: Game The
Ema gave Phoenix the case info before speaking with Nahyuta. And Nahyuta only gave Phoenix permission to investigate the crime scene on the assumption that "you would probably give up once you saw the crime scene for yourself."

"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Gettin' Old!

TheBlarghMan wrote:
Pierre wrote:

The problem I have with this is that it simply pushes the issue back to an earlier date. At some point, Nahyuta had to have been coerced by Gar'an to serve as an instrument of mass incarceration/execution with no real motivation besides a single person that he's never really known. In other words, at an earlier point before he became resigned to his fate, he was letting himself be used to convict and execute hundreds of innocent people simply to protect a single person. That's the biggest issue with Nahyuta's character motivation, and while it does explain why he would simply brush off Apollo, this seems like a solution that plugs the leak in the dam and misses the gaping hole entirely.

Spoiler: Tha GOYM!
Additionally its not just one random person. Its his sister, also not every trial is a death sentence so its a bit much to claim he was on hand to execute hundreds of innocent people ain't accurate as well. He was still going into the prosecution profession after all so he'd always have a hand in sentencing the guilty. All he did was cave to the pressure and give up on his dream of using his influence to change the system.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

Last edited by Pierre on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Kirby and AA fan

Spoiler: Da Gam
And on top of that, it's not like he's ultimately responsible for it. If there's evidence pointing toward the accused's guilt, enough to convince the judge, then you could also argue he was simply doing his job and did nothing wrong

Happy Maria

Actually,something I dislike in general is that in Calif,the judge just lets him tell the defense to go to hell over and over. Why,udgey? :larry:

Gettin' Old!

Southern Corn wrote:
Actually,something I dislike in general is that in Calif,the judge just lets him tell the defense to go to hell over and over. Why,udgey? :larry:

Hey now I distinctly remember him telling off Nahyuta in the first instance of his utter hatred for Attorneys. The Judge was taken aback by how brutal he was.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Yeah he ended up allowing it because he accepted Nayuta as just from a different culture

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

Pierre wrote:
Spoiler: Tha GOYM!
Additionally its not just one random person. Its his sister, also not every trial is a death sentence so its a bit much to claim he was on hand to execute hundreds of innocent people ain't accurate as well. He was still going into the prosecution profession after all so he'd always have a hand in sentencing the guilty. All he did was cave to the pressure and give up on his dream of using his influence to change the system.

Spoiler: It's Game Over Man
It is his sister, yes, but it's someone he hardly even knows. Rayfa was kidnapped by Inga and Gar'an when she was an infant and presumably had no contact with Dhurke or Nahyuta until Nahyuta was blackmailed. What this essentially means is that Nahyuta was coerced into serving as a tool for mass imprisonment/execution by the threat of what would happen to someone he probably hadn't even met. To put this into comparison, Phoenix finds himself on the fence on whether he should pursue justice for a single criminal or let Maya die. This is willingly letting hundreds of people get imprisoned/executed to protect someone that you hardly know.

I wouldn't say that he was on hand to execute hundreds of innocents; looking back on the last post, I phrased that poorly. I meant that he was on hand to convict hundreds of people, and in some cases, have those people executed. Certainly, he'd already have a hand in sentencing the guilty, but he's actively being used by Gar'an to hunt down what remains of the attorneys and deal with anyone else that Gar'an deems a threat, which I don't believe he would have done had he not been coerced.

"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Spoiler: DD and SoJ
Both DD and SoJ made the same mistake with their prosecutor-attorney relationships: they told rather than showed. We're told that Blackquill/Nahyuta were once nice, but never shown. Contrast this with Edgeworth. Phoenix says the same thing about Edgeworth, but why? Because we're shown the class trial. The current team sometimes shows, however. Remember the flashback with Dhurke saving Apollo? It adds context to when he saves Apollo in 6-5. It's things like that that convince me of the relationship more than what was done with Athena/Blackquill and Apollo/Nahyuta.

Happy Maria

I like Apollo's interactions with Rayfa more than Nahyuta.

That's just sad.

My edge is worthy for miles.

Sebastian's the worst. He barely had a character-transform. I mean, yeah, the whole "leaning on his dad, feeding off of the false praise" is fine, but come on, how many times have I seen that in other stories?

When Nahyuta tore off his glove, I got tingles. Of course I wouldn't put Nahyuta anywhere near Godot or Klavier, let alone Simon Blackquill. But still better than Sebastian.

Sorry if I had a spoiler, but there really needs to be a way to view the subforum where you can turn off the spoiler tag, so that you can just scroll and read (I'm trying to help). If there is a way, please let me know!

Happy Maria

I feel that Sebastian's 'redemption' was great,honestly. The Logic Chess segment,the part where he presents the damning evidence and allows you to see the SS-5 incident.....just great.

Besides the moment you described,Nahyuta barely even had a redemption.

Yabba Dabba Doo

godot_in_court wrote:
Sebastian's the worst. He barely had a character-transform. I mean, yeah, the whole "leaning on his dad, feeding off of the false praise" is fine, but come on, how many times have I seen that in other stories?

When Nahyuta tore off his glove, I got tingles. Of course I wouldn't put Nahyuta anywhere near Godot or Klavier, let alone Simon Blackquill. But still better than Sebastian.

Sorry if I had a spoiler, but there really needs to be a way to view the subforum where you can turn off the spoiler tag, so that you can just scroll and read (I'm trying to help). If there is a way, please let me know!

TBH, Courtney was more of the main prosecutor/antagonist person in the game. She was the one driving the cases, not Sebastian. Courtney just used Sebastian's power as a prosecutor to take control of the crime scenes.

As for Nahyuta, I'd say that he's definitely at the bottom. Barnham is still the worst for having absolutely no personality whatsoever, and after that I'd say it's close between Nahyuta and Franziska (Not counting the Payne bros). He's just an Edgeworth clone that really only had like the last third of the last case to develop.

Spoiler:
I've just finished Spirit of Justice, and yeah, he's definitely my least favorite prosecutor. The main problem I have with him is that he is just... boring. So bland and boring. He is so boring that during 6-5, I forgot he was even here. He's a prosecutor and a monk. That's it, that's all, there's nothing more to it. When Blackquill called him "Prosecutor Sad Monk", he pretty much summed up Nahyuta's entire... personality.

I did like his design, and he had a few good moments, so that's something. I'm not a fan of his theme, it got on my nerves after a while.
Page 3 of 4 [ 155 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)