Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 37 of 39[ 1554 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Can I just say that I find ultra-obsessive, insistent, clingy love with one-sided devotion repulsive? I don't understand why books, movies, anime etc apparently expect me to find this kind of thing "cute". It isn't cute, it is disturbing. Especially in shonen anime, where there is always this girl, who generally has a random reason for being in love with the protagonist, and is basically entirely defined by being in love with the protagonist. Orihime from Bleach, Shirley from Code Geass and Misa from Death Note are all examples that come to my mind now, but I know there are more. Of course, this kind of thing isn't exclusive to anime and to female characters - I could think of some examples from movies, books etc - but it is just something that I've seen repeating over and over again in this kind of story.

It isn't beautiful, it isn't healthy at all. It is self-defeating, and it sucks. It kind of annoys me that something that IMO should be seen as unhealthy behavior is admired by some people. How would you feel if there was someone "obsessively" in love with you, letting that "love" influence their emotional lives (note: they don't even know you all that well), even though they know you are kind of indifferent to them? I had the misfortune of experiencing this once, and this kind of shit makes someone EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I am all for reciprocal love with a healthy power balance, but I despise this kind of mindless devotion.

Trainer Gold - Johto Champion.

dangerousoffender wrote:
Can I just say that I find ultra-obsessive, insistent, clingy love with one-sided devotion repulsive? I don't understand why books, movies, anime etc apparently expect me to find this kind of thing "cute". It isn't cute, it is disturbing. Especially in shonen anime, where there is always this girl, who generally has a random reason for being in love with the protagonist, and is basically entirely defined by being in love with the protagonist. Orihime from Bleach, Shirley from Code Geass and Misa from Death Note are all examples that come to my mind now, but I know there are more. Of course, this kind of thing isn't exclusive to anime and to female characters - I could think of some examples from movies, books etc - but it is just something that I've seen repeating over and over again in this kind of story.

It isn't beautiful, it isn't healthy at all. It is self-defeating, and it sucks. It kind of annoys me that something that IMO should be seen as unhealthy behavior is admired by some people. How would you feel if there was someone "obsessively" in love with you, letting that "love" influence their emotional lives (note: they don't even know you all that well), even though they know you are kind of indifferent to them? I had the misfortune of experiencing this once, and this kind of shit makes someone EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I am all for reciprocal love with a healthy power balance, but I despise this kind of mindless devotion.

I definitely can't disagree with you. I find romance ABSOLUTELY BLOODY BORING!!! Full stop! And you would I feel about someone being obsessively in love with me when they don't know me all that well and I'm kind of different to them? Well, I'd wanna punch them! I absolutely hate media that completely revolves around obsessive romance and damsels in distress. It completely sucks, and sends the wrong messages to people, especially children. I really hate movies aimed at little girls as well because it limits them by making them think that's all they're going to be like: Naïve damsels in distress who can only cook and clean and always have to rely on men to save them etc. etc. etc. Oh well, here are some links to show you what I mean:

10 Terrible Lessons Disney Princesses Taught Us About Life
8 Horrible Lessons You Probably Learned From Snow White
8 Horrible Lessons You Probably Learned From Cinderella
21 Absolutely Awful Life Lessons Disney Films Taught Us
15 Terrible Love Lessons We Learned From Disney Princesses
8 Horrible Things You Learned From Aladdin

Uh... I think that will cut it. Your thoughts?
To all the creepypastas, Romans, etc.
http://pa1.narvii.com/5806/85074bd75bdf ... 9d1_hq.gif
YOU JUST MESSED WITH THE WRONG PERSON!!!

Hydrophyl the Feraligatr is going to rearrange the Phantom's kneecaps! You never know, I used him, and only him - to defeat the entire E4 and all of Kanto's Gym leaders, believe it or not!

I've become a DeviantArt member! Link to my DeviantArt Here:
http://articuno32.deviantart.com/

@Student678 It's funny that you are bringing this up, because I was talking to a friend about this very subject some days ago. How Disney princesses are boring and limited in general, and how many of these movies portray acceptance, weakness and conformism as virtues. "Turning the other cheek". These princesses (Snow White, Belle, Cinderella etc) don't even feel human to me. If being good involves keeping your mouth shut, having no goals in life, obeying orders all the time, and being gentle with people who don't deserve gentleness, I'd rather not be good at all. All the princes are boring as well. Mr. Nice Guy with no personality on a white horse. I've never really liked these things, not even when I was a kid.

Even the villains feel more human to me, like the Evil Queen in Snow White, Maleficent etc. The "bad bitches". At least they are more passionate and involved with life, and display human flaws - pride, jealously and anger, whereas the princesses are not "living", at least not according to the way I see the word. Just being a passive agent in existence. To give Disney some credits, they seem to be changing things now, and making movies to kids that are less about "obedient, boring, polite" people.

I like romance, tho. It just happens that I think most people suck at writing romance, so I end up disliking 65% of the romance portrayed in media.

Well, you have to remember that Snow White came out in 1937 and Cinderella in the 1950s. Back then, women were still supposed to be meek and all. Makes sense, given the time they were made. But I disagree on Belle keeping her mouth shut - she didn't. Recall, she clearly told Gaston "No" when he pestered her for marriage; she had her snarky moments and even kept her defiance up towards the Beast for half the movie.

I think the 'problem' with Belle is that she's... too good. She's pretty, but not conceited about it; she's snappy, but ultimately a lovely person that is accepting and helpful and all that jazz.

I still love Beauty and the Beast, but yeah.

C-A

@CatMuto I don't remember anything. I have a general idea of what happens in Cinderella, The Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, but I was 7-8 years old when I watched this stuff. The thing that bothered me in those movies, is that everyone (including the princess' love interest) who was "good", was kind of boring and overly naive. So in some cases, I rooted for the villain. I don't remember The Beauty and the Beast and Pocahontas that well, though I'm sure I watched them at least once. I'm not saying that those movies don't have beautiful/cute moments (even the ones I'm criticizing probably have), just stating how I felt about them for the most part. And yeah, the historical context in which the stories were created explains why almost all women are Mary Sues in them... and not exactly relatable at all.

To be fair, though, what is attractive about this kind of story is the magic, not the characters. Fairies, talking objects, princes who turn into beasts etc. They are creative. Not to mention that most of these things are allegories, and have powerful meanings when closely examined.

Gettin' Old!

dangerousoffender wrote:
To be fair, though, what is attractive about this kind of story is the magic, not the characters. Fairies, talking objects, princes who turn into beasts etc. They are creative. Not to mention that most of these things are allegories, and have powerful meanings when closely examined.

Years of marketing of "Disney Princesses" would like to disagree with that.

Also I'm not sure I'd say "Acceptance" and "Turning the other cheek" are bad things necessarily. Though yeah the Princesses are deeply rooted in the times they were made, perhaps that's why they are trying something different with these live action remakes.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Happy Maria

When painting,some of the wet paint accidentally mix with one another and ruin everything. Some take ages to dry,too. So darn annoying.

I've had some alright paintings ruined by this,by the way

dangerousoffender wrote:
@Student678 It's funny that you are bringing this up, because I was talking to a friend about this very subject some days ago. How Disney princesses are boring and limited in general, and how many of these movies portray acceptance, weakness and conformism as virtues. "Turning the other cheek". These princesses (Snow White, Belle, Cinderella etc) don't even feel human to me. If being good involves keeping your mouth shut, having no goals in life, obeying orders all the time, and being gentle with people who don't deserve gentleness, I'd rather not be good at all. All the princes are boring as well. Mr. Nice Guy with no personality on a white horse. I've never really liked these things, not even when I was a kid.

If someone did something that I didn't like, which involved me, I would probably punch them in the arm or grab them or something instead of just standing there and accepting it. Those princesses would not lift a finger to defend themselves if a green ant was on their arm. Because that's what their problems are. Green ants. Jeez, they sting but they're so easy to deal with! Just brush them off or stomp on them! Seriously, what's so hard about getting rid of them (unless you somehow got an ant's nest load on you which probably means you have to roll around in the grass for a bit or squirt yourself with a hose)? Being happy isn't about finding a man, and they're only quite young when they marry. One of them, Snow White, is only 14 when she got married. Also, Cinderella could have escaped the situation she was in and found a better home. There's so many things I could list here but I don't really have time to. So, yeah. Princesses are crap, and teach kids, in particular, little girls, bad lessons. See Cinderella Ate My Daughter.

Southern Corn wrote:
When painting,some of the wet paint accidentally mix with one another and ruin everything. Some take ages to dry,too. So darn annoying.

I've had some alright paintings ruined by this,by the way

Ah, yes, that is quite awful. I remember in Year 5, my class was doing Thinkfest and our group were doing the backdrop when Mackenzie spilt a huge blob of black paint in the wrong spot!! From then on, that sort of stuff became known as "Doing a Mackenzie."

Hydrophyl the Feraligatr is going to rearrange the Phantom's kneecaps! You never know, I used him, and only him - to defeat the entire E4 and all of Kanto's Gym leaders, believe it or not!

In Justice We Trust

You know what really grinds my gears? People referencing the Founding Fathers and acting as though that somehow makes their position unassailable. The subtext is that it's somehow unpatriotic, un-American, and/or treasonous to disagree with them. I say that's bull excrement.

Don't get me wrong; I respect the Founding Fathers and think they did plenty of great things. They were still human, though. They were fallible and they were also products of their time. Several of our Founding Fathers owned slaves. Slavery was not widely seen as a bad thing back then, so I'm not going to fault them for owning slaves. However, if someone were to say "but the Founding Fathers did it" in an attempt to argue for slavery being legalized, their argument would rightly be dismissed. The Founding Fathers advocating something is not in and of itself a justification for keeping it legal, nor is the Founding Fathers condemning something in and of itself a justification for banning it. Technology has changed. Our culture has changed. The world has changed. It's certainly possible that something that worked adequately--or even admirably--in 1789 still works adequately today. It's also possible that it's been rendered obsolete.
I'll always love you, Max.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?Topic%20Title

Happy Maria

When after you come home after a haircut,and you have to remove the remaining strands of hair from your body. Also the razor cuts you got from the saloon open up by the time you get home and it aches like hell.

Gettin' Old!

Holes in shoes on rainy days haha.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

General Luigi wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? People referencing the Founding Fathers and acting as though that somehow makes their position unassailable. The subtext is that it's somehow unpatriotic, un-American, and/or treasonous to disagree with them. I say that's bull excrement.

Don't get me wrong; I respect the Founding Fathers and think they did plenty of great things. They were still human, though. They were fallible and they were also products of their time. Several of our Founding Fathers owned slaves. Slavery was not widely seen as a bad thing back then, so I'm not going to fault them for owning slaves. However, if someone were to say "but the Founding Fathers did it" in an attempt to argue for slavery being legalized, their argument would rightly be dismissed. The Founding Fathers advocating something is not in and of itself a justification for keeping it legal, nor is the Founding Fathers condemning something in and of itself a justification for banning it. Technology has changed. Our culture has changed. The world has changed. It's certainly possible that something that worked adequately--or even admirably--in 1789 still works adequately today. It's also possible that it's been rendered obsolete.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said, and this reasoning doesn't apply only to the American Founding Fathers, but to any historical figure people like to worship. Everybody is a product of their time, to some extent.

This kind of thing is scary when you think about it, though. If most people I know were born in Ancient Greece, I doubt they would be against slavery. Slavery was the norm back then, and people were raised to accept it as fact. Everybody accepted it as fact, basically. What makes someone so special that they would be against something seen as completely natural within a society? It's extremely rare. Most people would keep their mouths shut, really. Everybody's moral compass is influenced by the age they live in.

The same goes for the present. Maybe some stuff people see as very common/natural now, are things people will see as obsolete/absurd in the future.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

On that note, people comparing something someone is doing now with something Hitler did when he was in/rising to power, and using that to claim that this other person might be just as bad as Hitler because of it. Well, I'm pretty sure Hitler slept, ate breakfast, and breathed oxygen too, so by that logic, you could easily claim that anyone on the planet might be just as bad as Hitler.

Is it too much to ask that people judge each other's actions on their own merit without comparing them to <insert (in)famous historical figure here>? Because not everything the Founding Fathers did was 100% good, and not everything Hitler did was 100% evil. If you say Action A is good because the Founding Fathers did it, and you say Action B is bad because Hitler did it, that's a horrible logical fallacy.

TheDoctor wrote:
On that note, people comparing something someone is doing now with something Hitler did when he was in/rising to power, and using that to claim that this other person might be just as bad as Hitler because of it. Well, I'm pretty sure Hitler slept, ate breakfast, and breathed oxygen too, so by that logic, you could easily claim that anyone on the planet might be just as bad as Hitler.

Is it too much to ask that people judge each other's actions on their own merit without comparing them to <insert (in)famous historical figure here>? Because not everything the Founding Fathers did was 100% good, and not everything Hitler did was 100% evil. If you say Action A is good because the Founding Fathers did it, and you say Action B is bad because Hitler did it, that's a horrible logical fallacy.

That's completely right. The only person you can say that everything they did was 100% good is Jesus, because He was SUPPOSED to be that way for a good number of reasons. Just because (for example,) I might end up being such a good person in the future, doesn't mean everything I do or have done is automatically 100% good. I've done some bad things such as calling someone an "idiot" (even if it was probably true). I don't condone that sort of behaviour, and I never just go calling someone that out of the blue. Or on the other hand, if I might end up becoming a really evil person in the future, doesn't mean that everything I do or have done is 100% evil. I've also done some really good things in my life and I know it. If that logic were true, then all my good deeds would have been counted as evil when they're not. Hitler sleeping, eating breakfast and breathing oxygen is something everyone does to survive. It's normal behaviour. If the only good people were the ones who did nothing that Hitler did, they would have been all the miscarriages and other babies that died before birth. After all, everyone does bad things at some point, so it doesn't mean they're bad. We need to have a balance between good and bad. For example, the UK, being mostly Christian, wouldn't just turn the other cheek and let terrorists bomb the crap out of them and turn them into slaves. They would fight back so everyone there can have good lives without being wrongly beaten by evil monsters!

Since we are talking about Hitler. I really dislike the fact that so many people have this simplistic view of history. People basically attribute EVERYTHING bad that happened during a war, to a certain historical figure or political leader. Hitler, Mao, Lenin, etc. Which is wrong. Every single person who supported war, civilian or not, every person who supported an ideology based on violence is responsible. Soldiers are responsible too. This is a point Tolstoy makes in War and Peace. People should stop directing all the responsibility to a political figure, because they were only part of the whole thing. Everybody who took part should be held accountable.

I am not the type to waste time hating celebrities, but I like to gossip sometimes and all this stuff. I have nothing better to do right now, so I want to bitch about Taylor Swift. Yeah, complain about petty things, why not? I don't like her as an artist, either, but I won't talk about that. I want to talk about her as a person.

Anyway. I don't hate her, but I am repulsed by her behavior and really dislike her persona. I didn't pay much attention to her before; I saw her as that "oh, not very interesting, cute, innocent country singer", and nothing more. But I changed my opinion recently.

She is manipulative and ruthless as fuck. Immature, disingenuous and shallow too.
Main reasons I dislike her are:

A) She uses her personal relationships for spetacle/marketing purposes. The way she exposes her ex-boyfriends on magazines, songs, Grammys etc. is ridiculous, always portraying herself as the victim in these relationships. C'mon, it is very difficult to think that all of her 9384833 ex-boyfriends were ruthless assholes, while she is this pure saint who never made a mistake during her entire love life.

B) Her fickleness. Sorry, I see the way that she jumps from one relationship to another during small periods of time as a sign of character flaws. Doesn't matter her gender; if she were a guy and did the exact same thing, I would still see this as a character flaw. I am really repulsed by this kind of excessive fickleness... I think it is one of the worst flaws someone can have, and I try to avoid this kind of person IRL as much as possible. Goddamn, how disturbing this weak lack of stability is.

C) She uses the feminist card when it is convenient to her... basically, when people criticize her and her attitude when it comes to relationships, she accuses them of sexism. But my God, she doesn't give a flying fuck about feminism, or any social issue whatsoever. She is totally self-absorbed, and only mentions feminism to defend herself and her BS. She is not genuinely concerned about raising awareness/directing people's attention to any causes. So self-serving. I'm not saying artists should stand up for causes etc; but if they do, they should be real about it.

D) The way she is greedy, money-crazed and supports this ridiculous industry. Bitching about Apple Music, Spotify and streaming services in general, claiming they don't pay artists (which is a lie). C'mon, Taylor, accept the times as they change. Not everybody is going to pay for a physical copy of your album nowadays. And I don't even understand why you are so concerned about money. You probably live in a castle, has private jets and personal servants. Why are you so desperate for more?

All in all, I think she is one of the few media personalities I actively dislike at the moment.

Happy Maria

Writing on my tablet kills me. Not literally,but the goddamn autocorrect is painful and I keep accidentally opening up chrome. I can't believe I've written so much on this dumb old iPad.

Southern Corn (SC) wrote:
Writing on my tablet kills me. Not literally,but the goddamn autocorrect is painful and I keep accidentally opening up chrome. I can't believe I've written so much on this dumb old iPad.

What sort of tablet is it?

Happy Maria

Mini iPad Mini

Mini iPad Mini

This is why I have a proper laptop. A proper laptop, especially with Windows, can carry out a heap of tasks, games or not. They're capable of running many, many types of programs and you can access and delete specific files when you like. I mostly find iPads are just useful for stuff like little games, note-taking and photography. Mine has been useful for opening up the Internet during particular times, but you should get a proper laptop, if you haven't already. Oh, and don't get a touchscreen one, those touchscreens can be pretty painful.

Happy Maria

You know what razors my apples?

When people show me something they did and I point out a few flaws (politely,mind you) and then they just say,'Screw you,I didn't ask for your opinion. Get outta here!'

Sure,let me leave,thereby not subjecting you to actual criticism,meaning that you will never improve. Bye bye,and [CENSORED] you.

Happy Maria

YKWRGMG? People who dab unironically and think it's cool.

Might as well do the _______ challenge as well. Yes,challenges have devolved into the same mold of shίt. It's absolutely infuriating how the internet seems to be devolving nowadays. And this is the internet we're talking about. Even the YouTube comment sections have doubled in toxicity.

Ugh,I'm just in general sick of people on the internet now.

YKWRGMG? People who dab unironically and think it's cool.

Might as well do the _______ challenge as well. Yes,challenges have devolved into the same mold of shίt. It's absolutely infuriating how the internet seems to be devolving nowadays. And this is the internet we're talking about. Even the YouTube comment sections have doubled in toxicity.

Ugh,I'm just in general sick of people on the internet now.

Yeah, I'm kind of annoyed at all the "dabbing" and the "bottle-flipping." I'm annoyed at the "Swag" and the "Oh My God, let me take a selfie!" kind of sassiness! Teenagers can be so clichéd!

I'm fine and ready for justice!

Something that really grinds my gears is when people in my classes talk when the teacher's right next to them, the teacher reminds them not to talk, and then they continue after waiting a few minutes. And then the cycle continues. Though, I suppose you COULD say it just runs in the system of things, since most adults here act no better than some of the 8th graders (but then suddenly get the feeling that we're "not acting like 8th graders" even though they're no better?). Not only that, but when they act like we're the ones who need to grow up when they need to as well. All of my teachers were watching the Super Bowl last night (deducing from the fact that they all knew the results well so they must've had paid some closer attention to it) and they decide that we're less than human and pile homework onto us, like being a teacher gives you a free pass to take away free time for the sake of your own. Jeez...no idea if this belongs in this thread anymore because of the length, honestly.

Oh, and when the teachers use their phones in class and don't follow the dress code, yet tell students off for doing the exact same thing, that always grinds my gears too. Are people just taking inspiration from Nixon all of a sudden when they make these rules? If you're not willing to follow the rules, you shouldn't be enforcing them nor should we have to follow them either. And somehow, they, being the teachers (and even other adults), think their age is a valid excuse for this. :grey:
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

Happy Maria

Yeah,selfies also really jack my films. It comes off as really narcissistic or really self conscious. Either way,taking selfies too much is not very healthy. People have even died trying to take some.

People have even died trying to take some.

Eh, natural selection at its work.

C-A

Apollo4Justice wrote:
Something that really grinds my gears is when people in my classes talk when the teacher's right next to them, the teacher reminds them not to talk, and then they continue after waiting a few minutes. And then the cycle continues. Though, I suppose you COULD say it just runs in the system of things, since most adults here act no better than some of the 8th graders (but then suddenly get the feeling that we're "not acting like 8th graders" even though they're no better?). Not only that, but when they act like we're the ones who need to grow up when they need to as well. All of my teachers were watching the Super Bowl last night (deducing from the fact that they all knew the results well so they must've had paid some closer attention to it) and they decide that we're less than human and pile homework onto us, like being a teacher gives you a free pass to take away free time for the sake of your own. Jeez...no idea if this belongs in this thread anymore because of the length, honestly.

Oh, and when the teachers use their phones in class and don't follow the dress code, yet tell students off for doing the exact same thing, that always grinds my gears too. Are people just taking inspiration from Nixon all of a sudden when they make these rules? If you're not willing to follow the rules, you shouldn't be enforcing them nor should we have to follow them either. And somehow, they, being the teachers (and even other adults), think their age is a valid excuse for this. :grey:

Yes, that's right. In one of Jesus' parables, He stated that you cannot remove the speck in your brother's eye without first dealing with the log in yours. It's called being a hypocrite.

Yeah,selfies also really jack my films. It comes off as really narcissistic or really self conscious. Either way,taking selfies too much is not very healthy. People have even died trying to take some.

Also, there are better things to do than take selfies!

You know, a Mario game!

You know what really grinds my gears? When couples say "we're" pregnant. You're not both pregnant, only the woman is! The man doesn't have to deal with carrying a baby, only the woman gets that burden. It's always bugged me to no end.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Gettin' Old!

dimentiorules wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? When couples say "we're" pregnant. You're not both pregnant, only the woman is! The man doesn't have to deal with carrying a baby, only the woman gets that burden. It's always bugged me to no end.

If its the woman using the phrase there's no problem is there? Personally I think it's sweet I mean a baby is a part of both of you even if the women gave to carry it. Especially as pregnancy and baby rearing is seen as such a maternal thing. Could be off putting for men who want to be involved in the care more to be told they are lesser in the relationship for it.

So it's sweet to maintain that connection I think even if its not scientifically accurate. Its a metaphorical "we" as in a "team".
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:
dimentiorules wrote:

If its the woman using the phrase there's no problem is there? Personally I think it's sweet I mean a baby is a part of both of you even if the women gave to carry it. Especially as pregnancy and baby rearing is seen as such a maternal thing. Could be off putting for men who want to be involved in the care more to be told they are lesser in the relationship for it.

So it's sweet to maintain that connection I think even if its not scientifically accurate. Its a metaphorical "we" as in a "team".

Both your opinions do make sense. On one hand, only the woman gets pregnant, but the man doesn't. On the other hand, the man should also have been credited with raising the child.

You know really grinds my gears? This has probably been said before but how much of a waste of time school really is. I mean, our entire system is essentially "memorize this, pass a test, go to the next grade, repeat for a few years". Not to mention that I can do more than half the things from school at home, on this very device and maybe actually learn something worth my time (because memorizing a couple theorems that I'll never use and what years America expanded won't help me unless I get a pop quiz in the middle of the street later). Regurgitating facts isn't a part of life, or else Phoenix would be reminding us every five minutes how to use the Court Record if that were the case. There are only two classes in my entire year this year, out of seven, that are remotely useful for life and I'm sure I don't need to tell you how bad that is. And I'm stuck like this for at least two more years until I'm legally allowed to leave school so here's to two more years of mindlessness. :sadshoe: It's a sad day when watching two people talk about PewDiePie and his situation is more informative and useful than what school's spewing out, honestly.
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

Happy Maria

Unfortunately,I don't 100% agree with you. To quote an older post of mine:
I wrote:
Ugh,I've been seeing some complaints from foreign students on the internet that their school system sucks. From what I've heard it's terrible. Apparently where I live,education is only compulsory till 8th standard,which to me is bull. 1-8 only teaches you the most basic things,but 9th and 10th teach you the more important stuff,like the Laws of Motion,different types of chemical reaction,sex Ed,Trigonometry,and so on. While 11th and 12th may seem more advanced,I feel they should at least go up to tenth.

And I'm freaking done with the complaint that 'School teaches us useless stuff like 'Mitochondra is the powerhouse of the cell' and Algebra,but doesn't teach us important stuff like paying taxes or filing a resumé'. Here's why,dammit.

1.The reason there is a core system with English,Science,Maths,II Language and Social is because there is no way you'll know what you will be. Even if you're sure what you will be,things may not always work out,and then you'll be needing another job. That's where the other stuff you would've learnt come in. There really isn't a foolproof way over this.

2.While I can kinda see some trouble over filing taxes,it can still be learnt easily. Just ask your elders. Very self explanatory. And is filing a goddamn resumé that hard?!

3.Even if they did bother teaching you how to do this stuff,would the majority of the class even bother to listen to this? It barely would even take half a class. Thus making it a wasted freaking endeavour.

At least we all can agree that school doesn't always adequately prepare us for the real world,but not all the complaints are really valid.

Don't think I've been this agitated since a fan nearly fell down on me back in high school,lol. Correct me if I made any mistakes.

Gettin' Old!

I'd say school serves a.more socialising purpose than an educational one.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I agree with Pierre. School seems more to be based on helping you get used to working around other people, even around or with people that you do not like a whole lot and vice-versa. Sort of gives you a slightly tough shell, before you head out into the 'real' world. But I still find it bull at times. As for the things they teach you, well, they mostly go for basic stuff to train your brain to actually work on things and figure out different ways to tackle things.

Have to say, though, I still don't understand certain math parts, even if school taught them. Just cause it taught percentages, does not mean I actually learned them in school. I've been out of school for almost a decade (well, highschool) and I am still struggling to figure out how percentages work. I'm better at it than I was before, but still not a fast thinker with it.

Though I also agree with your older post, SC.
Yes, school is there to teach you some things. But YOUR PARENTS are also there to raise and teach you things. Mostly things like manners and how to behave and all, but they can still teach you other stuff. We didn't learn bookkeeping in any of the schools I was in (though I think the FOS would have taught me, eventually, had I not flunked), but my mother knows it well and said that, if I ever wanted to learn it, she could teach me her way of doing it within 3 hours or so.

Am appalled to learn that you don't get sex ed until 10th Grade - when people are, what, generally 16? Here in Germany, sex ed is being shoved down your throat (that's what she said) from 5th grade onward, from what I remember. Age 10/11. Seems pretty dumb to explain it so late, when most people are already halfway through puberty and have probably figured out what's going on with their body.

C-A

Happy Maria

Indeed. Apparently it's the same in America too. With the internet being more popular than ever,we can just look it all up,so it is very pointless. Though there is a little bit of the stuff taught in the last year of middle school,the bulk of the stuff is actually taught in high school. Maybe the reason they're doing it is because they think the students aren't ready for it or something. There's a similar attitude to teaching of same sex marriages.

In a world where students are on every social media platform in existence and have most likely seen SOMETHING related to same-sex marriage, I'd be surprised if people thought we weren't prepared for that kind of lesson.

Happy Maria

YKWRGMG? People who believe that all genders are unequal. Whether it be male,female,or in some cases neither (I'm not an expert on the others so I'll mainly be talking about males and females here).

Yes,I know it's trendy to hate feminists (as in those who demand that women have more rights than men) and I do somewhat agree (I'm all for gender equality) but I think that those who think men are superior are even worse;mainly because that thought is so archaic. There are some really smart men out there,but there are also really smart women as well. But there are also really dumb men and women as well.

The worst part is this is all due to the complex nature of the human body structure. Our brains are one of the most complex out there,and that's why we ponder over this. Whether you're an evolutionist or a creationist,I don't really care that much. But I do believe that humans were 'designed' so that reproduction would be possible only with both genders. Females have to undergo a lot of pain when they're pregnant (they sometimes don't even make it);but the sperm of the male is the main catalyst for pregnancy more than anything; and their chromosomes do determine your gender. But the human mind is so advanced that it ponders which gender is better. So yes,if anything,I feel that our 'complexity' is also partly to blame for such thoughts.

So yes,I do support equal rights for both genders;but not any of the extremists.

That was a bit of a rant,I'm sorry. Let me know if I made any mistakes and stuff. I have a bit of a fever and felt inclined to rant on this crap. G'night

YKWRGMG? People who believe that all genders are unequal. Whether it be male,female,or in some cases neither (I'm not an expert on the others so I'll mainly be talking about males and females here).

Yes,I know it's trendy to hate feminists (as in those who demand that women have more rights than men) and I do somewhat agree (I'm all for gender equality) but I think that those who think men are superior are even worse;mainly because that thought is so archaic. There are some really smart men out there,but there are also really smart women as well. But there are also really dumb men and women as well.

The worst part is this is all due to the complex nature of the human body structure. Our brains are one of the most complex out there,and that's why we ponder over this. Whether you're an evolutionist or a creationist,I don't really care that much. But I do believe that humans were 'designed' so that reproduction would be possible only with both genders. Females have to undergo a lot of pain when they're pregnant (they sometimes don't even make it);but the sperm of the male is the main catalyst for pregnancy more than anything; and their chromosomes do determine your gender. But the human mind is so advanced that it ponders which gender is better. So yes,if anything,I feel that our 'complexity' is also partly to blame for such thoughts.

So yes,I do support equal rights for both genders;but not any of the extremists.

That was a bit of a rant,I'm sorry. Let me know if I made any mistakes and stuff. I have a bit of a fever and felt inclined to rant on this crap. G'night

Well said, mate.
I hate provocative clothing. I hate seeing girls in shorts so short they reveal the buttocks in public. It's probably fine at home or at the beach or whatever, but why do some girls go on a walk or something wearing nothing but short shorts and a crop top? And why does the girls section of a clothes store only have these things for summer? It's nonsensical and wrong. If you want to show off your skin, go to a nudist resort! Can't girls dress with some modesty? Does everyone have to dress like they're associated with some strip club?

I also hate how in Pokémon, the female character was always wearing something provocative and/or impractical. Sun and Moon improved a little with the option for capris, but that was all. I've always chosen the male character except for in Crystal because the female character's design is garbage. Short shorts, sleeveless short dresses. How on earth did Dawn survive in Snowpoint City?!

I just hate provocative clothes. I hate them because it's sexualising children, especially young girls. At least have some modesty and wear longer shorts/skirts/dresses, at least while you're out in public. I don't care. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, nor am I saying you can't wear what you want. You can still wear skinny jeans or frills or whatever, but I can't stand shorts that are more like underwear.

Happy Maria

I swear,I've seen some shorts which are smaller than underwear. What's e point then? Don't even bother wearing shorts at that point.

I hate wearing shorts myself. It's a bit of a long story. Mainly has to do with my right kneecap

What really grinds my gears is when my teacher keeps putting homework files in a format that no one can open, even after our class told the teacher this doesn't work multiple times and days, and as a result, we can't even read it, we have to remember it exactly from class. :sadshoe:
Page 37 of 39 [ 1554 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices