Re: Riddles, puzzles and other general tricksTopic%20Title

You know, a Mario game!

Nope, none of you guys got it, yet.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

dimentiorules wrote:
You guys really are good at this! Correct, a candle is the answer.

Clarice walked into a room to find Gloria standing over the dead body of Beatrice. There were broken glass shards on the ground and Gloria had blood on her mouth. However, no arrests were made. Why was this?

Because Gloria is actually a vampire and flew away.

(No)

You know, a Mario game!

Nope, though I have to admire your creativity.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Happy Maria

Sheesh,no one uses this? This is great!

Actually,looking at an old problem of mine,I realised that I had made a mistake,and now I made a riddle out of it!

Okay,so the sum I took was 'If x=y/z,y=z/x,and z=x/y,find (x+y+z)^2.' But then after solving it,I realised that there was more than one answer! Then I saw something interesting. If I took all the answers and made a number out of it (with one answer as the units digit,another as the tens digit,and so on and so forth), that number was the product of my lucky numbers (which are also mainly lucky because they have the same number of factors)! So,if the sum of my lucky numbers is twice the sum of the answers I got,find my lucky numbers!

This one is very tricky,but all the same,I would like to see the way you got the answer if you get it. Looking up my lucky numbers is cheating,btw. I'll give away the answer in a week if no one got it.

Last edited by Southern Corn on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm fine and ready for justice!

Since I have no time to look at the rest of the thread, I'll just hope no one already did mine. Here we go!

There is currently a line-up for a stabbing of a victim. Three suspects were apprehended. The first suspect has a large amount of blood on the front of his shirt. The second suspect has a small slotch of blood on his right shoe. The third suspect's prints were found on the knife in question. They each gave a statement, as follows:
1st Suspect: "I had nothing to do with the murder, I wandered onto the scene and then blood sprayed on me."
2nd Suspect: "I was an unwitting witness to a stabbing. I was walking by and blood splattered on my shoe as a man was bent over a body. I fled quickly."
3rd Suspect: "I have no idea what happened, I was in a daze the whole time."

Keep in mind that the suspects may be lying, not necessarily only one. Your task is to determine who the murderer is. You are free to ask me any questions you might have to clear up the circumstances surrounding the crime and when you find the answer, you must tell me who the killer is and how the events of the murder occurred. Have fun!

Update: Also, there is no set time limit on this, I'll give the answer once someone determines who the correct culprit and what the correct series of events are, however long it takes. I might PM you, though, if I felt in the mood to release a little suspense.

Update:
3rd Suspect: "Before the murder, I was just walking around and when I say the body, I just...froze. I don't remember what else happened ."

The crime happened in the middle of the street, in the dead of night.

The body was found face-down, with a stab wound in the chest. The knife was found in the third suspect 's right hand.

The victim is the grandfather of the suspects, they are all three brothers.

First Suspect: "Asides from my brother, who was walking with me, and my former grandfather, not a soul, besides the literal one going to heaven."
Second Suspect: "I saw his back so, no, I did not."

*All pockets are completely empty.

All three brothers were excluded from the grandfather's will.

The will left a diversified amount of money to every family member but the three brothers.

Second Suspect: "Not a speck"
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

Last edited by Apollo4Justice on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Happy Maria

3rd suspect,ask him to elaborate what happened before the crime and after. Since he was actually in a daze the whole murder.

Did the crime happen at the third suspect's house/workplace? That would explain the prints if he isn't the culprit.
Signature loading, please wait...

Gettin' Old!

Tell me about the body, where was it stabbed and where was the knife found.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Happy Maria

Also,is there any connection between the victim and the suspects in any way?

3rd Suspect: "Before the murder, I was just walking around and when I say the body, I just...froze. I don't remember what else happened ."

The crime happened in the middle of the street, in the dead of night.

The body was found face-down, with a stab wound in the chest. The knife was found in the third suspect 's right hand.

The victim is the grandfather of the suspects, they are all three brothers.
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

Gettin' Old!

Man third suspect needs to be the star of an ace attorney case if he wants to get off the hook with this much evidence.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Sleeping is my life.

Ask the first suspect: "When you arrived at the scene, was there anyone else at the scene?"
Ask the second suspect: "Did you get a good look at the man?"

First Suspect: "Asides from my brother, who was walking with me, and my former grandfather, not a soul, besides the literal one going to heaven."
Second Suspect: "I saw his back so, no, I did not."

Edit: Since I didn't actually say if this is legal or not, anyone solving this crime is allowed to discuss it and formulate an answer that way, there's nothing against it. It's really your choice, though, if you want to partner up or do it solo.

Sleeping is my life.

Hmmm.... Ask the suspects to empty their pockets so we'll know what they're carrying when they were apprehended.

*All pockets are completely empty.

*Suspect 1, 2, and 3 will remember that*

Happy Maria

Did the suspects have some sort of grudge against the victim?

*After some investigation....and getting over the shock of SouthernCorn's new avatar...*
All three brothers were excluded from the grandfather's will.

Happy Maria

Haha,don't worry,I'm only wearing it today....or am I?

What does the will say anyway?

The will left a diversified amount of money to every family member but the three brothers.

Gettin' Old!

I think we need a main post that compiles all the info on this case.

Ask the second suspect if having seen the back did he see any blood on the man?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I'll make a main post when I get home from school. I'll add a Professor Layton-style hint box, too. But, for now...

Second Suspect:"Not a speck"

Gettin' Old!

Use unethical interrogation techniques to force a confession from Suspect 3!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Gumshoe: "No way, pal!" :sadshoe:

The original post with the puzzle has been updated and, as promised, I wrote the Professor Layton-style hints. But remember, you're just cheating yourself out of solving it if you read all of them.
Spoiler: Hint 1
All the information you need to determine who the suspect is has been given to you already.

Spoiler: Hint 2
Going off the first hint, what do you NOT know about the knife?

Spoiler: Hint 3
Assuming you already know more information about the knife from the previous hint, what does this tell you about how the knife was used?

Spoiler: Mega Hint (Do NOT read if you want to solve this without a HUGE hint)
Now that you know how the knife was used, how much blood would get onto the killer? And, more importantly, how much would get on the person in front of them?

Note: I made this a separate post for space issues. Sorry if this counts as a double post, admins and mods alike. :sadshoe:

Happy Maria

One week ago,I wrote:
Actually,looking at an old problem of mine,I realised that I had made a mistake,and now I made a riddle out of it!

Okay,so the sum I took was 'If x=y/z,y=z/x,and z=x/y,find (x+y+z)^2.' But then after solving it,I realised that there was more than one answer! Then I saw something interesting. If I took all the answers and made a number out of it (with one answer as the units digit,another as the tens digit,and so on and so forth), that number was the product of my lucky numbers (which are lucky mainly because the have the same number of factors)! So,if the sum of my lucky numbers is twice the sum of the answers I got,find my lucky numbers!

I'll give away the answer in a week if no one got it.

Now that a week has passed,it's time for the answer! To be honest,I'm not surprised no one attempted this. But I do like the answer. Here we go!

Spoiler: The Answer
The first part involves finding the answer to the aforementioned sum. Now,what most might do is substitute (x+y+z)^2 with the values of x,y and z. But the actual solution is much more unorthodox. There can be many ways to get this part,but the overall technique is the same,if you get what I'm saying.

The answer lies in the beginning. Instead of just blatant substitution,we must question,'What should the values of x,y and z be to make this even possible?' So here we go. For example,let us,for the value of 'z=x/y',reciprocate the equation,such that now 1/z=y/x,and bring x to the LHS. Now y=x/z. But we know already that y=z/x! Therefore,we can now go two different ways:

1. Substitute y for z/x. So z/x=x/z,and by cross multiplying,so get that x^2=z^2.

2. Substitute x/z for 1/y. So since y=1/y,y^2=1!

So you might be tempted to just square root there and get y=1 and x=z,but remember-the square root of a number 'a' can be +((a)1/2) or -((a)1/2) (if you didn't know,any number to the power of half is equal to its square root. Similarly,any number to the power of 1/3 is equal to its cube root,and so on). So here,x could be z,but it could also be -z. In the same vein,y could be 1, but also -1.

From here,you could substitute,or repeat what I just did for the values of x and y. From there you will get overall that x^2=y^2=z^2(=1). So now each variable could be 1 or -1. This leaves us with four options.

1. x,y and z are all 1.
2. Two of them are 1,but one is -1.
3. Two of them are -1, but one is 1.
4. All are -1.

So here to narrow it down,we must substitute the values of x,y and z with these options.

[Obviously,for 2 & 3, it doesn't matter which specific number is 1 or -1, since x,y and z are all interchangeable.]

Option 1 works,since all the equations all are 1=1/1, which is true.

For option 2, let's take x as -1. Since x=y/z,let's see if I think holds. -1=1/1. Nope,not true-unless you're saying that -1=1.

Option 3 works,to our surprise. Let's take x as 1 here. So 1=-1/-1, which is true; and the others are -1=1/-1 and -1=-1/1, which also hold firmly.

Option 4 doesn't work,since all equations are -1=-1/-1. False results than false.

Alright,now we know options 1 & 3 hold. So NOW we can substitute in the equation and get our different answers!

For option 1,the answer is (1+1+1)^2, which is 9.

For option 3, it's (1-1-1)^2, which is 1.

Great job! You've now finished the first part of the problem,and the harder one by far! This one definitely requires an unorthodox mood,and some thinking outside the box. Now onto the next part!

Now let's add up the two numbers. 9+1=10. So therefore,the sum of my lucky numbers is 20. With these two answers,we can now make a number with them.
There's 19, and 91. Let's see which works.

For 19, it's 19*1, which seems to work. They both add up to twenty and follow all the conditions,right? But 19 & 1 can't be my lucky numbers,since they don't have the same number of factors. 19 has two factors but 1's only factor is itself. So 19 is not the number formed.

91, however, is 13*7, which follows all the conditions. They're both prime and have the same number of factors,they both add up to twenty,and their product is the number formed with the two answers from earlier. So 7 & 13 are my lucky numbers. Hahahaha! Did you get it right?

Last edited by Southern Corn on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Maria

Realised I made a mistake with the wording of the original problem. I've fixed it now,and now you can get the proper answers!

Happy Maria

Edited with the final part of the answer. Did anyone get this right? Or even try?

Yabba Dabba Doo

Apollo4Justice wrote:
The original post with the puzzle has been updated and, as promised, I wrote the Professor Layton-style hints. But remember, you're just cheating yourself out of solving it if you read all of them.
Spoiler: Hint 1
All the information you need to determine who the suspect is has been given to you already.

Spoiler: Hint 2
Going off the first hint, what do you NOT know about the knife?

Spoiler: Hint 3
Assuming you already know more information about the knife from the previous hint, what does this tell you about how the knife was used?

Spoiler: Mega Hint (Do NOT read if you want to solve this without a HUGE hint)
Now that you know how the knife was used, how much blood would get onto the killer? And, more importantly, how much would get on the person in front of them?

Note: I made this a separate post for space issues. Sorry if this counts as a double post, admins and mods alike. :sadshoe:

Not gonna lie, this is hard as hell even with the hints.

Spoiler:
What do we not know about the knife? Well, the only things I can assume are:
  • Owner
  • Length
  • Amount of blood

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to get an idea here. What if the killer put the knife under his shirt, preventing any blood getting on the knife? The blood would then get onto the killers shirt, which pinpoints suspect one. Unless suspect 3 took off suspect ones shirt and used it.

Happy Maria

Honestly though,I am having a tough time figuring this out. I'll have to wait till I have more free time to come up with a good theory for this.

迷探偵

Attempt.

Spoiler:
Given that there is only one ("a") stab wound, the knife was only pulled out of the wound once. The fact 3's fingerprints are on the knife (and that was holding it) and the fact 1 was covered in blood means they were standing around the victim when the knife was pulled out, as the knife would've functioned as a seal on the wound, stopping most of the blood.

How did 2 get blood on their shoe then? They claim to have seen the murderer bent over a body, with their back to them. But if that is true, the body of the murderer must have acted as a shield to any blood coming out of the victim in relation to 2's location (especially if the figure was bent over/crouching/in a low position). The blood on 2'sshoe most likely came from the little blood that came out of the wound when they stabbed the victim, and then left the knife inside.

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

You're accusing
Spoiler: Possible Answer to my Puzzle
Suspect 2 then?

Yabba Dabba Doo

Ooh new theory!

Spoiler: Totally not a shitpost theory
Suspect one was streaking so suspect three took his shirt and used it to mop up the bloodstain. Suspect two had a bloody nose and bled on his shoes, which he borrowed from a friend, so he used the murderers blood to cover it up. Suspect 1 then put his bloody shirt back on because he can't see red since he was poisoned. So suspect one is actually Godot.

Did I get it right?

Legit though Ash's theory makes the most sense.

Well, if Ash is saying what I think he is...
Spoiler: Only Ash should read this (unless you don't feel like solving it anymore)
You are correct, Ash! :godot: The second suspect stabbed the victim in his chest, using a reverse grip on the knife. He took the knife immediately out, splattering blood onto the first suspect. and a little blood onto his own shoe. The third suspect feel into a complete paralysis state due to witnessing the murder (though, he lost memory of exactly what he saw) and the first suspect left the knife in the third suspect's hand before fleeing. Congratulations, Ash! You now have the Puzzle Award! :pearly:

Sleeping is my life.

Speaking of murder, a friend of mine posted this puzzle on a social media website.

The puzzle goes like this:

A man was murdered in his study. The suspects are Gerry, Julie, Jason, Nick, and Sophie.
The numbers 6, 4, 9, 10, and 11 are written on the calendar with blood.

WHO IS THE KILLER?

Just a quick question, is everything we need to solve it already in the original problem or do we need to find out additional information?

Sleeping is my life.

Apollo4Justice wrote:
Just a quick question, is everything we need to solve it already in the original problem or do we need to find out additional information?

Everything's provided in the problem, so you need to use your head to figure this out.

It's quite simple.
Spoiler:
The man killed himself and the numbers on the calendar are a red herring.

Sleeping is my life.

Apollo4Justice wrote:
It's quite simple.
Spoiler:
The man killed himself and the numbers on the calendar are a red herring.

Sorry, but that's wrong. The puzzle clearly said that the man was murdered, meaning that one of the suspects killed him.

Well,
Spoiler: Apollo Justice and Spirit of Justice MAJOR Plot Twists
Turnabout Succession and Rite of Turnabout said the same thing and
we all know how that went....
Mind if I take another stab at it, after I give someone else a chance?

Sleeping is my life.

Yeah, anyone can try their hand at figuring out this puzzle.
Page 22 of 24 [ 924 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices