Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 1 of 5[ 196 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Danganronpa F1: Summer School Sign-ups (Full, replacements?)Topic%20Title

(This thread will be open here for a few days before I outsource to another forum to fill the remaining slots)

-This is a roleplay game. There's no punishment for not roleplaying but it'll make the other players sad

-All characters featured in this game must be OC. Talents can be taken from the Danganronpa series, but I'll still encourage creativity in that

-There's no overarching narrative or grand story. In fact, if you feel like you're falling behind in the game, each trial will be self-contained so catching up will be easier as you'll only need to focus on reading up on the current chapter

-You do not need to have played Danganronpa. All you need to know is that each phase someone will be killed by one of you and you guys have to figure out who did it

-There's no winning or losing, but if you're a killer who gets away with their crime or you live until the end you definitely earn bragging rights. Essentially just play the game the way your character would

Here is my current plan for how the game will work:

Spoiler: Plan
-There are only two phases: Daily Life and Class Trial

Daily Life: You'll learn about all the rooms available, all the gimmicks of the location, and any items of interest. It's up to you guys to come up with a murder scenario. The person who sends me the best murder plan is the one I'll choose to be the blackened (this is to prevent someone from coming up with some plan like "I want to stab BadPlayer", which doesn't open up possibilities to an interesting class trial). This phase will also feature free-time which isn't important to know about before the game begins. Phase ends when someone dies

Class Trial: You'll all get the clues available and will need to look over them and debate who you think the killer is. The trial will have a time limit but once 60% of the participants are ready to vote, the trial will end. If the class is correct on who the blackened is, the blackened will be executed. If the class is incorrect, the blackened wins the game and a random innocent person is executed. The game will continue with the remaining players in either outcome

Victims: The killers won't have complete freedom of choice on who their victim will be. A select number of people will be randomly selected and the killer can choose between them. The exception to this is for the first class trial, which will have a workaround

Inactivity: If you're inactive, your name will be put in the RNG for the post-trial execution (if the blackened isn't correctly chosen) and victim more than others. Egregious inactivity will result in you being killed by Monokuma. You don't have to be super-active to avoid this and can still post infrequently as long as your posts are thoughtful. If you're inactive and start being active again, you'll be put on the same playing field as the others again

Activity: At the end of the class trial, you won't just vote for the blackened but also for the "Class Trial MVP." The MVP will not be able to be killed if the blackened has been incorrectly chosen. There is no way to avoid being part of the random selection for a victim unless you decide to become a killer

Keep in mind that this game is the first of its kind, so it is somewhat of a demo to see how things work. It might end up being decided that 16 is too much for the beginning of the game, and that can be remedied with the next iteration. I will also make adjustments to the game if needed: if you play a trial and think there was some bullshit element to it, I'll do my best to remedy it in the following trials. I'm learning too

By signing up for this game, you're agreeing to be a good sport and all that other stuff. I took the liberty of adding the interested people from the other thread into the sign-ups, but if you're not interested anymore then say so and I'll remove you

Current sign-ups (bold indicates I've been PM'd the necessary info):

1. KamiPanda
2. Southern Corn
3. lonechallenger
4. Doctor Nanjo
5. BadPlayer
6. Cesar Zero
7. Franzise
8. Datamatt
9. Adalliah
10. Viktoria Von Karma
11. MechaQdogg
12. TheLetterF
13. SiRReN
14. Captain Pancakes
15. Vinny Valens
16. Slezak

Replacements:
1. DarkAgea

All players must send me the following details of your OC before the game begins:

1. Name (can be your username)
2. Talent (can be rejected at my discretion but almost all are ok. If you pick a talent that somebody else has, you'll be asked to pick another)
3. Preferred Gender (M/F/No preference)

Regarding gender, you might not get what you asked for because the game will ultimately have 8 boys and 8 girls. But I'll try to make as many people happy as possible

Physical description and backstory can be decided (or not) by you as it's not necessary for me to know

If you guys have any questions, let me know. I only have one for all of you: Ultimate or SHSL?

Last edited by JesusMonroe on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Re: Danganronpa F1: Summer School Sign-upsTopic%20Title

1000% Knight

SHSL
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Shy guy

Sure, SHSL.

Can I send my character now? I've already designed them because I'm overeager like that.

Oh, and each character gets an ability chosen by you, right? Is that still a thing?

Yes, you can send your character whenever. You can also change anything about them as long as it's before I've gotten all the info from everybody

Shy guy

Cool! I edited in a question to my previous post, by the way, sorry if you missed that.

Oh yes, each character will have an ability. Though it's not going to be what my original idea for the abilities was as that became too hard to balance/could make things too unfair for the killer. Though I suppose that doesn't matter anyway since you guys don't know what my original idea was

No other way than to make this mistake.

Ultimate makes a bit more sense than SHSL, but SHSL sounds cooler and more in line with the game, I think. SHSL it is.

I prefer Ultimate but I doubt that option will even have a chance so whatever lol.

I'll think some more about my character before PMing you.
Signature loading, please wait...

Happy Maria

What's Ultimate and SHSL?

No other way than to make this mistake.

Talents in Danganronpa are preceded by "Ultimate" in the English subtitles or "Super High School Level" in Japanese. The DR characters went to a high school called Hope's Peak and the students that are selected to go there are the best in what they do - so the Ultimate Student would be the best student, for example.

Happy Maria

Oh, okay. I like Ultimate better myself,

Also JM I've PM'd you now with the necessary info.

Shy guy

I've always seen the talented students as people who are the best in their field, but only among students. After all, it's often implied that they're not super geniuses in their fields, merely really good, and at times I get the impression that there are adults that are better than them. That's why I feel Super High School Level works better than Ultimate, as the latter carries some connotation that they may be the best in the whole world at what they do, which isn't the case. Of course, being the best among all students in the entire world at something does typically mean you're still amazing at it.

1000% Knight

KamiPanda wrote:
I've always seen the talented students as people who are the best in their field, but only among students. After all, it's often implied that they're not super geniuses in their fields, merely really good, and at times I get the impression that there are adults that are better than them. That's why I feel Super High School Level works better than Ultimate, as the latter carries some connotation that they may be the best in the whole world at what they do, which isn't the case. Of course, being the best among all students in the entire world at something does typically mean you're still amazing at it.

I mean, that's what would make sense, but then you have things like Chihiro making a human-level AI on a busted up old laptop in a few days/hours... In DR, talent levels basically give the character license to do absolutely anything related to that field, no matter how ridiculous or stupid that ability is.

Shy guy

It seems to vary between characters. Chihiro does that, but then Maizono seemed like a pretty standard idol - hardworking and decently popular, but not record-breaking. And Kyoko isn't like Sherlock levels of detective skills.

1000% Knight

Like I said, it gives the character a "license" to be ridiculously good, but that doesn't mean that every single character is going to be absurdly talented. And while some of them are "As good as you could expect a high school student to become, but maybe not quite as good as an adult professional," some of them are "Way beyond the bounds of even a talented adult, and could possibly reshape society from its foundation if it actually existed"

Shy guy

Yeah, that's also very true. Some were absurdly talented, which is where Ultimate makes complete sense. Yet some were instead only what I would call SHSL. Kind of a mix, really. I guess I prefer SHSL as a baseline, instead of calling everyone Ultimate.

I prefer SHSL because it sounds goofier and I'm a weeb

Anyway yeah, I still want to do this

Shy guy

I know you said there's no overarching story here, but are all the players part of the same class? Did they all know each other before this began? And if they are all students from the same class/school, what kind of school is it? I like my characters to have backstories, so it would be useful to know that sort of thing, even if the answer is that they're all from different schools.

Given all the names I've gotten thus far, it's safe to say this is kind of going to be an international gathering

There will be a slight overarching story, but it's completely flavor and is mostly just a framework for the game. The idea I was bouncing around is that each student goes to school at some branch of the main school (maybe there are three "Hope's Peaks" in USA, one in Japan, one in London, etc) but they all failed one class/got in trouble somehow/need extra help and are now in summer school, where Monokuma shows up and has his fun. The reason behind the death game is just because Monokuma wants to have fun

I wouldn't say any of the students know each other. Maybe some went to the same school but they weren't friends. The high school lets you primarily focus on developing your talent and gives you a lot of freedom to do so, but you still have to take some other required classes. The school mainly gets its money from past graduates who grew up to be successful and donated, as well as application fees if you think you have a great talent but haven't been scouted

Shy guy

*writes up a reply*

*laptop dies*

Curse you monokumaaaaaaa!

Well, anyway, that's about what I expected. The games were set in Japan, but I figured that wouldn't be the case here.

It's useful to know about the whole failing-a-class thing though. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be because you failed a class though. It could be any reason you come up with or none at all. It's more for you after all

Happy Maria

Hmm, I see.

By the way, since the students are all trapped at the school, will they have their own rooms that they'll stay in? If so, can we give a description of it? Because I would think those could be some good potential crime scenes.

Also, apparently the blood in the DR games is pink for some reason. Will that be the case here?

Everyone will have their own room, I hesitate to say whether or not you can give your own description of it. I don't want to give the players too much freedom in what they can create

As for the pink blood, I don't think it will be. If I ever draw a picture of a dead body, sure the blood can be pink. But even in the DR games the blood is canonically red. It's not really a huge thing, I'm only saying it now in case a crime someone creates involves fake blood. So yeah, blood is red

Happy Maria

Will there at least be minor details depending on what ability the character has? For example, since my character is the Ultimate Bookworm, would they have a lot of full bookshelves and all? And would those rooms be potential crime scenes?

I may be overthinking it a bit, but I'm trying to think if maybe I should change my character a little bit more. Hmm

There will be rooms in the school corresponding to certain characters. For example, there will probably be a library available for you

At the moment, I think every bedroom will be the same. If there are multiple possible crime scenes in each chapter with unique items, plus 16 unique bedrooms with different possibilities for creating/hiding a murder weapon or orchestrating a murder, it'll be an information overload for all the players. If each bedroom is the same, then it's basically just one more location to remember rather than 16 different ones. But yes, a bedroom can be a crime scene

And feel free to change your character at any point before everything is finalized

Shy guy

I think it has to be the case that the rooms are identical. No matter how much you try to restrict it, if you let people choose their own items there's always a chance they could add something unfair without it being obvious. Still, it's a shame that means we can't harmlessly decorate. Would have been fun.

As for people's reasons for being there, yeah, I was just trying to cut corners by only mentioning failing a class, sorry. Still, it's useful to know the general premise to build upon.

Well I've removed formal win conditions. Because in my mind, anybody who signs up for my game is a winner :godot:

(But it's actually so people can get involved in ways that they think their character would like being antagonistic towards the group/manipulating the crime scene/etc without having to worry about winning. But if you kill someone and get away with it or live until the end, you definitely still earn bragging rights)

Shy guy

So what you're saying is, this is now an RP where you get to act however you like rather than specifically aiming to escape?

So, like, if I really wanted to screw with people, I could have my character commit suicide and make it look like a murder just so everyone else fails the trial?

KamiPanda wrote:
So what you're saying is, this is now an RP where you get to act however you like rather than specifically aiming to escape?

Yes, your character could have whatever goal you want. Maybe they just like to kill people

Quote:
So, like, if I really wanted to screw with people, I could have my character commit suicide and make it look like a murder just so everyone else fails the trial?

Sure

Shy guy

Sounds like fun XD

Happy Maria

Sounds great. Btw check your PMs J,

Yup, I saw it. You've been noted as good to go on the sign-up list

Pumped for this. Let's see how a SHSL Sociologist will fair here… (also knowing my luck I'll be the first one offed).

Happy Maria

^Don't worry, that'll probably be me :P

Shy guy

I have a small question about the Daily Life phase. You say that the phase changes when someone dies, but someone only dies after you've picked the murder that's most interesting out of all submissions. Is there a time limit for submissions, then?

No time limit, just until I get an approved finalized plan that me and a killer are happy with. I'll make sure to give enough time for a few interested people to get their chance to submit. I'll even hash out ideas with anybody too, that opportunity is open to anyone. It'll pretty much come down to the plan that I like the most because I think it's the "best"

Shy guy

So the first person to give a plan that you definitely like would be the one to get it? There has to be a point at which you stop and evaluate the plans, meaning anyone who submitted a plan after would be too late.

Yeah, there is a point. But it's just not a set deadline. And a plan could be used in a later chapter, so it can still be useful later

Just a thought; will you be providing motives if things get a bit in a slump?

JesusMonroe=Monokuma confirmed

Happy Maria

What about assistants? Can you ask someone to help you murder anonymously? If so, who would they have to blacken to be correct?
Page 1 of 5 [ 196 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus